Aurelian Redmond

Starting All Over Yet Again

Scene Rating: PG
Scene Type: Joint Scene
Characters: Aurelian Redmond, Clara Redmond, Wyatt Redmond
Location: Redmond Homestead, just outside Kalispell, Montana Territory
Timeline: Early July 1875

Originally published on Sat Dec 9th, 2017 @ 7:07pm

It had been a long day and a warm one also but then it was July after all. The family had been hard at work since morning arrival at the cabin of their new property. Aurelian had been very pleased with the structure itself, the cabin had been well built especially important in that Montana supposedly had brutal winters. The former owners had started on a well too, but since there was a nice lake very close, water was less of an issue he figured. There was also a chicken coop and then little more than a shed, but it would house the milk cow and the three horses he owned. Two of the horses were used for the buckboard and could also pull a plow. The other was for riding. After all, every man in Montana needed a horse, least that was his belief. The cow and the chickens came with the place as the couple gave him a more than fair price on them given they were heading back East on a train and had no further use for such.

All things considered, as far as animals they were well enough off but it was still going to be a struggle to make this place a go, and he knew it. They lacked so many things even over and above their lack of funds. Their clothes and most personal belongings had been destroyed or stolen in the Indian attack. Only by the generosity of a few kind locals in the last community did he and the children have at least two sets of clothing to wear. More wardrobe would have to come later when he had some purchasing power, and he did not want to even think about the winter to come.

Clara was fixing some beans at the fireplace, an actual stove was a luxury he could only dream of now. He had traded his old cavalry saber for some tin plates and a handful of cutlery, three cups. Again for now it would have to do. There was plenty of forest about, and he already planned on putting meat on the table by doing some hunting. Even on the way out here, they had seen enough deer about. All his thoughts and worries were suddenly interrupted by a familiar voice.

"Pa, supper's ready," it was his boy, Wyatt, a smallish skinny lad who was always hungry it seemed.

"Very well, then might as well sit down and eat it," Aurelian smiled as he took a few steps to the small wood slat table and sat down.

Clara brought the small pot over to them and dished out three heaping helpings onto the tin plates then joined them at the table.

"We are going to need quite a few things at the store, Father. We cannot live on beans. The Sidwells did not leave us much of anything," Clara pointed out.

"We have a roof over our heads and a cow and chickens, be thankful for what we have, child of God," Aurelian smiled as he waited until Clara was seated and comfortable then glanced over to his son, "Your turn to lead us in prayer."

Wyatt paused, "You sure?"

Clara frowned, "Oh just do it. Honestly, you are so forgetful."

The prayer was simple and short, and soon they were eating.

Mouth half full of beans, Wyatt piped up after a moment, "So are we going into ...what is it called....tomorrow?"

Clara sighed, "Chew, swallow then speak. And it is Kalispell."

Aurelian had pondered the best plan of action and had already decided, "Yes, we will....all of us together."

"But what about here?" the boy asked immediately. 

"Would you suggest we leave someone behind for the Indians to pick off by his lonesome?" Clara countered in that annoyed tone of voice of hers.

Aurelian raised one hand, he had to do that a lot to head off those two and their bickering. It was never serious, but it was definitely something he could do without most times.

"Now, now....Clara is right. As usual, might I say," he flashed a grin at her.

That brought a smile, a slight smile to his daughter who then forked some beans into her mouth.

"We stick together and don't worry about Indians coming here. The cabin has around now for what....the Sidwells said they built it over a year ago and no Indians have come to burn it down. It'll be fine. Besides, will give all three of us the chance to look the town over. We only rode thru it twice and once was at night. We will need to know where places are after all," he reasoned.

"They have a schoolhouse," Clara announced, looking straight at her brother whose turn it was to frown.

"Awww, I don't hafta go, do I?" he didn't ask his sister for he knew her answer, his pleas were to his father.

"Oh yes, you do!" Clara smirked.

"We will see, children. We will see. I need you both for all the work we have to do here yet. But down the line, yes, I want you to attend school, son," Aurelian declared, and his son knew well enough to know whining or arguing about it wouldn't work.

"What about Clara?" Wyatt added.

"I do not need school. I imagine I know as much as any schoolmarm they have managed to secure for that leafy burg," Clara contended with her usual self-confidence.

Thing is Aurelian couldn't argue. She was fifteen now, and he believed she pretty much knew all she would ever need to when it came to educational subjects. 

"Clara is correct, she doesn't have to go," he pronounced much to Clara's satisfaction.