Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Maybe, fer this special occasion," Addy suggested, "we can try a little'a each?  That way, we can get a taste'a everything, so next time, we know what our favorite is."  It was a plan that appealed to her, so she didn't have to decide which she wanted!   "Never turn down help," she declared, "but seems ta me yer th' one needs help brushin' them horses down."  She glanced at Weedy and Josh, considering for a moment if it was safe to let the boy go up into the loft, but then, his father could stop him, and, after all, he was a Chappel!  He'd grown up around horses, and was of hardy stock!   With them all working together, it wouldn't take too long to get the horses settled, and then they could be on the way to treats!   @MD
    • "We'll get on."  Addy was determined, and once she grabbed hold of the crude rope halter, she had control of the animal.  "Here..."  Cupping her hands, she made a step for Caroline, to give her a boost up.  "Just grab his mane."   TBC   @Wayfarer                    
    • Mature Content: Doubt it With: Tyrell Garret Thornton Location: Add specific location information here. When: Mid-July 1876 Time of Day: Encompasses a couple of days     Place holder
    • Anæsthesia wasn't exactly convinced by all these homilies about falling out of trees, breaking arms, and sleeping in the mud: she smiled politely, if a little tightly. Truth to tell, she felt a little bit 'got at' - the snobby girl was getting a taste of her own medicine in the form of the inverted-snobbery of these rough frontier folk.    She suddenly blurted, rather defensively "I have learned to shoot a gun!"   "I have a 1858 model Lefaucheux double action revolver, and really am rather a good shot with it." she said proudly. Now maybe they'd stop telling her that she needed to fall out of a tree to be able to claim that her life had any meaning.    Of course, the hypocrisy was that she was quite willing to tell others what they should be doing with their lives: like learning to read.      @Bongo @MD
    • Mr McVey was chattering away as Arabella grabbed her non-packable items: two dresses, spare bonnet, basket and three large round circles made of bamboo. These were very hard to carry and to manoeuvre through the doorway.    "You and I disagree on a number of things, yet, we agree on others. Mister Reeve is certainly one to keep an eye on. And I would say, he is dangerous in another way, to the political atmosphere in Kalispell. He is an odd fellow, yet, so is Mister Pettigrew. Perhaps the goal of him running is to slit the vote? I'm not exactly confident on that assumption."   "Now don't you be mean about Mr Pettigrew, Mr McVey, he's been right nice to me: teachin' me all about how to speak proper and act like a lady." she objected. Pettigrew had taught her something else, too, something more important than those surface embellishments, something at her very core.    He hoisted the trunk that was surprising lighter than he would have expected. "As time moves on, we'll have a better idea of Pettigrew's purpose in the grand scheme of the elections this fall." He added, then, "I'm following you, Arabella."   "Hold on, I'm all tangled up!" she yelped, the three bamboo circles seemed to have minds of their own and were doing their darndest to stop her getting through the doorway. "I'm takin' these hoops with me, in case crinolines come back in!" she informed him.    Eventually she got herself through the door and down the stairs, with a shout of "I'm goin' now, I'll be back at seven!" at Caroline's door. When the two of them reached the bar, there was a ragged cheer from some of the rounders who were regulars "Don't worry, I'll be back at seven, boys!" she assured them.   "Oh damn!" one of them joked.    "You movin' in with him?!" another joshed. Arabella laughed and didn't say yes and didn't say no: well, Phin had said he didn't care if people talked!   @Flip

It did not require a college degree to figure this out. Brendan Connolly was involved with two women in town, and had no intention of marrying Bridget, and probably not Miss Mundee either. But this was not a crime, although a fair attorney could make a case about taking advantage of Bridget Monahan, and, it was none of Speeds business other than it rubbed him the wrong way.

"Well then, I'll have Doc Danforth have a look at the body, but I don't see any reason to arrest you. What you've done here is not a crime. Sad her father isn't here." Speed said, and that message was clear enough. "You may have some problems though, I'm sure Granny Miggins is not about to keep your perverse secret. Wouldn't surprise me to see it in the Union." With that he turned and walked out.

@Bailey@Javia@JulieS

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

As he listened to what was being said, Charlie felt sorry.  Not for Brendan, or even for Crabbe but for Bridget.  To him, she seemed to be like a pawn in some game that Brendan was playing with some of the women in town.  It was common knowledge that he had taken up residence in the same room with the saloon singer, Caroline Mundee.  If the relationship between Miss Mundee and Brendan was purely platonic, then that would be a surprise.  Who knows how many other women, the man had had his way with.

With Granny Miggins being present (he had caught glimpses of her outside near a slightly opened window) during Bridget's confession, the news would be around town within a few days.  Poor Bridget was just as much as a victim as Crabbe was.  If Brendan didn't marry her, then she would be open game to any unscrupulous man.  He couldn't keep an eye on Bridget, as that might bring the same accusations that Brendan was now facing.  Maybe he would ask his mother to see what she could do for the poor girl.

It was also plain to see that Marshall Guyer was not impressed with Brendan's behaviour either. Knowing that he would have to stay here until the doctor arrived, Charlie began looking around the room to see if there was anything he could use to cover up the body.  Seeing nothing, the next best thing was for Brendan to take Bridget back upstairs.

Turning to Brendan he said, "The doctor should be here soon, maybe it might be better if Bridget wasn't around while he...well while he takes care of things here."

@Bailey @Javia

• Love 2

Brendan's eyes widened as Bridget mentioned him marrying her, and then mentioned Caroline. He was in this whole mess because he wouldn't marry Bridget, and everyone hearing that he'd been "comforting" Caroline wouldn't help matters anyway.

He could feel the disapproval radiating off of the marshal, and looked up sullenly. It wasn't his fault that Crabbe's heart had decided to give out on the day he slept with Bridget. But maybe it was a blessing in disguise, somehow. At any rate, he wasn't in trouble with the law; just in disfavor with the marshal. The last bit about Granny Miggins surprised him, but after he thought about it a minute he wasn't surprised anymore. It was too much to expect a gossipy old biddy like her to leave when the marshal told her to.

Once Speed left, the only person left was Charlie, and although his disapproval was not as evident as Speed's had been, Brendan felt it more keenly. Charlie was about the same age as him, and for someone his age to consider himself so morally superior was annoying. So he bristled when the young deputy suggested that he take Bridget away, even though it was a perfectly sensible suggestion. "I know," he snapped, rising from the chair and scooping Bridget into his arms.

As he strode to the stairs carrying Bridget bridal-style, his brows furrowed in thought. He really should take her away from here. Even the saloon, just for the night, would be better than this. But it was late and he was tired, so he trudged up the stairs back into Bridget's bedroom and set her gently on the bed, kneeling in front of her.

"There. That wasn't so bad, was it?" he said softly. "Now it's time to go to sleep, and I'll be right here when you wake up."

• Love 2

Posted (edited)

When the Marshall went away, no doubt to be chided by Granny Miggins on being too softhearted and not hauling Brendan away in chains, Bridget found herself being lifted in the strong reassuring arms of her lover, up and away! Past Charlie, to whom she gave her simple smile, and up to dreamland again. It was all a bit bewildering this up and down business, but it was nice to be in Brendan's arms. 

He seemed sad and angry, though: she was sad too, because Lorenzo was dead, but Brendan would look after her now, wouldn't he? And she would be able to get up again in the morning and get dressed and go out and walk around and around the town, looking for shiny dropped pennies on the boardwalk. She wondered if Lorenzo would still be lying there in the morning, and Charlie standing there at the bottom of the stairs: like when she played with her dolls house before she went to bed, the little peg dolls that Arabella had made for her were still there in the morning, exactly as she had left them, instead of going to bed themselves. 

Maybe if Brendan was going to stay with her now, in between the cuddly times in bed, he would play dolls house with her. 

"There. That wasn't so bad, was it?" he said softly. "Now it's time to go to sleep, and I'll be right here when you wake up."

She still had hold of his sleeve as he laid her on the bed. As she looked up into his eyes. She wanted so badly to stroke away his sadness and anger. Maybe... she thought he must already know this, after what they had experienced together, but though all speech came to her with difficulty, it was easy for her to say the next three words: "I... love you."

@Wayfarer @Flip @Bongo @Bailey @Anyone else who fancies wandering in off the street.

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Made Me Cry! 1

Speed left the former mortuary, the perfect place for a death, and walk to the Municipal Building to collect his horse and ride for Doc Danforth's place. It would be best having the medical man look over the body, maybe make the cause of death official, there would be calls for a murder charge against Brendan Connolly before all was said and done.

As he rode along it was clear to him that he would say nothing of the affairs that were brought to light, but if Nellie Miggins was of a mind too, well even the Kalispell Union could not do a better, more thorough job of destroying the mans reputation.

Pulling, Speed stepped down, ground hitched his horse and walked to the door, still considering whether or not to fill him in on what had happened with Crabbe, Connolly and Bridget. It was clear that what happened would need some explaining. Like, why Connolly and Bridget were in the same room together where he died.

He knocked

@Bongo

Work was done for the day, and Jonah was glad to have the chance to sit back and have a shot of bourbon and enjoy the afternoon.  While it had been busy today, it had been mostly minor things, but that didn't make it any less tiring.

But alas, respite was not to be had, and he shuffled to the door, putting on a smile as he opened it, but then any hopes of this being a social call were dashed when he saw who was there.

"Marshal.  I hope this is a social call?  Can I offer some coffee?"

@Flip

• Love 1

'Hello Doc, well," He began, "I'm afraid it's business. It seems Mister Lorenzo Crabbe over at the old funeral parlor has had a heart attack, and managed to shoot himself in the bargain." Speed explained, sans the details. Though it was getting difficult to explain what had happened.

"I suppose we need an actual cause of death since there is the gunshot wound." He added. "I'd appreciate it if you'd see to it for me." Then he decided to let Jonah know who would be there. "So, you'll find Deputy Wentworth with the body, Miss Bridget Monahan is also there, likely upstairs. I guess Crabbe was care taking the young lady, and Connolly, Brendan Connolly who was a witness to the shooting heart attack may still be there." It was not a good situation at all.

@Bongo

• Love 1

Meanwhile back at the scene of the unfortunate death, the front door opened and in walked Caroline Mundee, sans makeup and in probably one of her more drab dresses too. Her hair was down too, no customer at the Star Dust would have seen her look this......well, normal.

"Hello! Anyone here?" she called out.

She had just heard the terrible rumor - it seemed Mr. Lorenzo Crabbe had died?  There was little agreement on how. Murder? Suicide? Accident? Who knew?

Caroline had an inkling how he might have passed though given what she knew about her old dear friend. Had he really gone and done it? And now Bridget was alone and it was certain that the poor girl could not live alone. Something would need to be done.

@Javia@JulieS @Bailey @Flip@Bongo

• Wow! 1

"Yes, yes, I know Mr. Crabbe," Jonah acknowledged with a nod, "I know the man, but I didn't realize he was sickly."  Of course, it wasn't unheard of for a man to drop dead with no prior indication that he was ill.  Not that it mattered if the man had shot himself.

"Let me get my bag."  It took just a moment for Jonah to grab the small leather bag, not that he thought it was necessary, but it looked good!

"All right, show the way."

@Flip

• Liked your post, Pard! 1

"Hello! Anyone here?" she called out.

Charlie turned around, the surprise evident on his face.  He was expecting it to be the Marshall with Doctor Danforth.  What on earth was a woman doing here?

Not knowing what to make of it, Charlie picked up one of the lamps that had been lit and went to the front door.  Upon seeing who the woman was, he was even more surprised.

"Miss Mundee?  Is there anything I can help you with?"

@Wayfarer

• Love 1

As Caroline debated going deeper into the place to look for her friend, or she worried, look for his body if the rumors were true, who should show up but that young deputy.

"Miss Mundee?  Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Yeah, hon, you can. I'm lookin' for my good friend, Lorenzo Crabbe. I heard something real bad might have happened to him," she answered.

"Oh...and checkin' up on Bridget too," she added.

@JulieS @Bailey @Javia

Posted (edited)

"This way Doc." Not that Danforth didn't know the way to the old funeral parlor, he was more than positive that he did. It dawned on him then that he had not seen old Mister Jolly, the undertaker, for sometime, and wasn't there a rumor that he might have gone up to Columbia Falls for one reason or another? He couldn't quite remember.

"Just thought, I'd not seen nor heard of Mister Jolly for some time now. Believe that last I saw of him was his measuring Caleb Barnes for a box." Including the Doctor into the conversation  about the undertaker. Not that it mattered one way or another, it would pass the time getting to the old funeral parlor where the body waited. It just seemed odd that old man Jolly had not been seen for sometime, at least by him, not that he saw everyone in town, it just seemed odd.

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)
  • Wow! 1

"I have not seen the man, either, now that you mention it," Jonah commented, "there is just a man sent around to collect any carcasses that may need attending."

His was to try to stave off the undertaker, and when that failed, it passed out of his hands, something he did not regret one bit.  Handling bodies was a special skill, and even more specialized was dealing with the grieving, something he gladly would pass on.

"So, now, I'd like to be alone as I examine the mortal remains," he explained as they approached the house, "with the exception of you, of course, that way there is no interference from the family, and besides, it's not a pleasant thing to witness."

@Flip

• Love 1

Of all the things Henry S. Guyer was bound to do in the job of Town Marshal. presiding over a postmortem examination. In spite of that, he smiled at the Doc's request.

"Not to worry. I'll send Charlie along, I believe Bridget will be upstairs likely in bed, now before we arrive, Brendan Connolly is likely to still be there as well, but he'll be with Bridget. Make of that what you will."

"There's no family, other than Crabbe was some sort of  Bridget's caretaker. Then there was Charlie Fa who was living there, supposedly left for New York, of all places."At that point they rounded the corner and Speed, as well as Doc Danforth, could see the door was standing open. "I'll go ahead on in first and see what's what."

He went through the door, "Charlie?"

@Bongo@Bailey@JulieS@Javia@Wayfarer

Posted (edited)

Bridget’s words startled Brendan, making his heart do a little somersault. She loved him.

He smiled in spite of the turmoil in his mind, and in spite of the fact that there was a dead body downstairs and a cantankerous old lady ruining his reputation outside. Bridget loved him. Leaning forward, he kissed her softly. 

“I love you too, Bridget.”

He pulled the covers down and eased himself into the bed beside her, then put one arm around her and pulled her gently down beside him.

”Let’s go to sleep, huh? Everything’ll be better in the morning.”

As he closed his eyes, he heard a woman’s voice from downstairs. Not Granny Miggin’s strident tone, but one that could be equally as strident if the speaker wanted. 

Caroline. 

Brendan cursed silently and buried his face in Bridget’s shoulder. He didn’t want to face Caroline right now.

Edited by Bailey (see edit history)
  • Wow! 3

Posted (edited)

Nellie Miggins had seen enough, she needed to tell someone this exciting gossip and get it off her bony chest, so she went across to Mrs Wigfall's guest house and rapped on the door.

"Mary. Mary! Open up, you'll never believe what's happened now!!" The door was opened by the girl Jemima and Granny pushed past her and into the front parlour to regain Mrs Wigfall and some of the boardinghouse guests, who had no idea who the dramatis personae involved even were, about what had happened or, at least, her version of it. 

Jemima, standing in the the doorway to the parlour, drank all this in and thought of Arabella: she had worked for Crabbe: Jemima had better let her know that he'd been murdered in cold blood after discovering his ward being molested by a drunken cowboy. At least, that was the way Granny had reported it. 

The frowsy girl didn't waste time telling her mother where she was going, she hot-footed it down the street to the back kitchen door of the saloon. Mrs McMahon, the big cook, didn't have a clue where Arabella was. She knew where she should be, right there, helping her! She gave Jemima quite an in depth diatribe upon the matter. When she could get a word in Jemima just asked Cookie to let Arabella know that something had happened to Mr Crabbe. 

The cook went to look for the missing girl. She wasn't in her room. On the off chance she knocked and popped her head into Caroline's room. "You seen that girl, Miss Caroline?" she asked "That feller Crabbe's had something happen to him. Her friend, that plain looking girl with the..." she motioned toward her upper lip "She just done came over to tell her."

Thus the rumour made its rounds of the town: growing, shrinking, growing again, changing, evolving, mutating. it was a pity Mr Fa had moved on, he would have felt at home amongst these Chinese whispers.

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Wow! 1

As Marshal Guyer went in to check that the coast was clear, Granny Miggins was scurrying away, likely in  quest to be the first to give the news.  Jonah tipped his hat to her, thinking, in a most unchristian way, that he was glad that he wasn't directly involved in what was going on.  He'd never been fond of wagging tongues, especially if he was the topic.

"It's all right if the girl stays upstairs,'" he commented, his thoughts turning to other unchristian notions, namely, that Mr. Crabbe had not shot himself.

Intrigue!

@Flip

• Love 2

Yeah, hon, you can. I'm lookin' for my good friend, Lorenzo Crabbe. I heard something real bad might have happened to him," she answered.

"Oh...and checkin' up on Bridget too," she added.

Charlie frowned.  The news got around quicker than he thought it would.  He had to give Granny Miggins some credit as she was pretty fast for someone of her advanced years.

"I'm sorry but Mr. Crabbe...well...he has met with an untimely end," he replied as looked over in the direction where the body.

"As for Bridget, she's upstairs...with Brendan Connolly."

@Wayfarer@Flip

• Love 2

Hearing voices, and one being a female one at that, he looked to the good Doctor and said. "We can go on in but it seems that someone else is in there now. I'll get the room cleared for you." He strode into the house, the door still open.

"Miss Mundee, I'm afraid I'll need to ask you to leave. Doc Danforth is here to examine the late Mister Crabbe's corpse." He paused, "I assume that Deputy Wentworth here explained that Lorenzo Crabbe is dead? We believe heart failure and a gunshot wound likely self-inflicted." He was well aware that Granny Miggins already had the details, and her own additions spread about town so he saw little harm in telling the singer a more accurate rendition of what had occurred.

@Bongo@Wayfarer@Bailey@Javia@JulieS

The deputy gave her the answer she was sorta expecting but defnitely not wanting.

"I'm sorry but Mr. Crabbe...well...he has met with an untimely end," he replied as looked over in the direction where the body.

Caroline followed the direction of the young man's eyes and yeah, there was Lorenzo lying upon the floor.

"Goddammit," she muttered.

"As for Bridget, she's upstairs...with Brendan Connolly," the deputy added, the very last part throwing Caroline a bit.

"Brendan? When did he get here?"  Caroline well knew about the whole possible marriage option with the cowboy and the unfortunate Bridget.  Was he here about that marriage? Was he discussing it with Lorenzo. Who now was dead. She had a lot of questions.

That's when Marshal Guyer entered the place.

"Miss Mundee, I'm afraid I'll need to ask you to leave. Doc Danforth is here to examine the late Mister Crabbe's corpse."

"I doubt he's THAT good a doctor," Caroline wryly pointed out, despite the seriousness of the situation and the sadness she did feel.

She would have to take some private time later to say her goodbyes to her old friend but that did not mean she was going to meekly scamper off because some lawman ordered it.

"Fine, but I wanna go upstairs then and see Bridget. See how she's doin'. The poor thing must be in shock," Caroline started for the stairway.

He paused, "I assume that Deputy Wentworth here explained that Lorenzo Crabbe is dead? We believe heart failure and a gunshot wound likely self-inflicted."

"I don't see any reason Miss Mundee can't go upstairs, but please, just stay there until I'm done," Jonah commented, then added wryly, "I prefer not to be observed when I perform miracles."  Then he looked at the lawmen.  "Show me the way, gentlemen.  Was anyone with Mr. Crabbe when this happened?"

Of course, the actual investigation wasn't his job, but if this was more than a shooting, it would be helpful to know some of the details prior.

@Flip; @Wayfarer; @JulieS; @Bailey; @Javia

ooc:  I'm gonna wait on Julie so Charlie gets his chance to react or speak   :)

Charlie was about to stop Caroline from going upstairs when Doc Danforth spoke up...

"I don't see any reason Miss Mundee can't go upstairs, but please, just stay there until I'm done," Jonah commented, then added wryly, "I prefer not to be observed when I perform miracles."  Then he looked at the lawmen.  "Show me the way, gentlemen.  Was anyone with Mr. Crabbe when this happened?"

"Yes, Miss Bridget and Brendan Connelly were both here when it happened," Charlie answered, "We're still trying to work out the events that led up to Mr. Crabbe's demise."

This was about as far as Charlie could go with the official version.  Until the doctor stated the actual cause of death, there wasn't much more to be said.  However, with the appearance of Caroline, he knew that there was one or maybe more stories already circulating around town thanks to Granny Miggins.

Thinking about the situation as it was, Charlie turned to Caroline, "Miss Mundee, perhaps it's best you don't go upstairs just yet."

@Wayfarer @Bongo @Flip

• Love 1

"I don't see any reason Miss Mundee can't go upstairs, but please, just stay there until I'm done," Jonah commented, then added wryly, "I prefer not to be observed when I perform miracles." 

"Thankya, Doc, I can stay up there while you do your duty. Later on though, I should talk to you or the Marshal. I know something I think might be important," Caroline smiled.

Then the doctor looked at the lawmen.  "Show me the way, gentlemen.  Was anyone with Mr. Crabbe when this happened?"

"Yes, Miss Bridget and Brendan Connelly were both here when it happened," Charlie answered, "We're still trying to work out the events that led up to Mr. Crabbe's demise."

So Brendan was here before the death? Interesting. Caroline had a hunch about why too. But she wanted to hear it from the source.

Thinking about the situation as it was, Charlie turned to Caroline, "Miss Mundee, perhaps it's best you don't go upstairs just yet."

Caroline smirked, "I'm sure ya mean well, hon, but I'm goin' up there now. I'm good friends with both Bridget and Brendan."

Though that friendship with the cowpoke may well be about to hit a wall if he did what she was worried he did.

Halfway up the steps, she turned to the deputy, "It's you who should stay down here, this is between us up there."

And with that she continued on up til she reached Bridget's room.

@Javia @Bailey  @JulieS @Bongo

• Love 2

"Excuse me, Miss Mundee, but I'll tolerate no disturbance while the doctor is about his assessment of what happened here." Speed warned, he had dealt with this woman before, and since he was aware of this triangle, Bridget's condition, as well as her future, which did not look all that promising at the moment, and then there was Connolly's faithlessness.

Bridget Monahan was in no condition to endure the stress and strain of dealing with a spurned lover, not with her only benefactor laying dead on the floor. True, Crabbe was not in the running for  'parent of the year', but he had taken care of Bridget, more than it looked like Connolly would be doing for her.

@Wayfarer@Bailey@JulieS@Javia

• Thanks 1