Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

Captives

At least the Indians didn't seem to think that Caroline had been holding out on them, or they most certainly would have meted out severe punishment, although Addy had to admit, she was a little surprised and amused that Caroline carried a flask, and reckoned that it was a sorry shame that she hadn't hidden it better!

"Could'a used that," she whispered, flashing a slight grin.  Yes, the situation was grim, but if you dwelt on that, you just got lost in the despair, and gave up, and Addy Chappel wasn't going to give up so long as there was breath in her, and she was pretty sure that Caroline felt the same.

@Wayfarer                      

Caroline frowned, "Damn right, now I ain't got any drinks." It had been a long time since she had been in that sort of situation and she had a feeling she was going to feel bad later about not having anything to drink.

Camp was made, the Indians pretty much left the two white women alone, though they were right in the middle of the campsite so no possibility of sneaking away. The pair sat down and waited.....for what exactly they weren't even sure. Caroline had some confidence the Indians did not plan to kill them otherwise they would have done it by now. Maybe...

As darkness fell the Indians made two small campfires - there were a bakers dozen of them  so one lone fire would have needed to be bigger than they probably wished. The bigger the easier to spot too though Caroline doubted any white folk were within literally miles up there in the hills. Neither woman tried to actually sit around one of the fire circles but curled up halfway between them. The Indian boy, Caroline figured he was seemingly going to be their guard, which made sense considering he spoke English and reasonably good too. She wondered how he learned it? Maybe a topic for later conversation? Maybe they could get the Indians to relax about their presence among them? Then, maybe there would come a time when they saw their chance to make a break for it and escape?

That was a lot of maybes.

When the war party started eating, buffalo or deer jerky most likely, the Indian boy tossed them a couple of slices of the meat, which sadly landed on the dirt before they could catch the pieces. No matter, it was eat this or go hungry. A little dirt never hurt nobody.

As Caroline chewed she glanced at both circles of warriors around their fires, none were paying them any attention at all.

"Think they're gonna take us back to their village?" she whispered.

A little dirt never hurt no one, and food was food, and not doing just what Caroline had done would be seen as wasteful and an affront, so Addy wiped a portion of the jerky as well and started munching on it, surprised at how good it actually was, especially in light of the way the day had gone.  Besides, they had to keep their strength up.

"Might," Addy answered the question with a shrug.  "Show us off, might test us.  They'll be lookin' fer weakness, but too defiant an' they'll take offense."  It was a fine line to walk, and it was hard to tell from one time to the next what they might think of as brave and honorable, or cowardly and unworthy.

"Like as not, it ain't gonna be pleasant, but we'll watch fer our chance."

Hopefully, they would have one...

@Wayfarer

They chewed and between bites they attempted a bit of whispered conversation.

"Might," Addy answered her question with a shrug.  "Show us off, might test us.  They'll be lookin' fer weakness, but too defiant an' they'll take offense."

"Yeah, I'd love to take a swing at 'em but I think the consequences would be very bad," Caroline sighed.

"Like as not, it ain't gonna be pleasant, but we'll watch fer our chance," Addy proved she was still not giving up yet. More likely she never would, Caroline was glad. If they could get out of here, they'd have a better chance doing it together.

"Right," Caroline nodded, sat thinking as she chewed a bit more, "Maybe tomorrow....I might just ask the boy if he knows what their plans are for us? I mean he's the only to ask, only one who knows English."

A few of the warriors were beginning to lie back to begin to go to sleep for the night. Were the Indians just going to trust them that they wouldn't dare try and make a break for it in the dark? They might just be right too, Caroline was utterly lost already and rushing about in the dark barefoot sounded horrible.

@Bongo

"Reckon it can't hurt ta ask," Addy muttered, "'less they take a mind ta smack ya again."  Addy grinned.  Poor Caroline's face was bruised and swollen in a couple places, but she was handling it well.  "If ya can find a way ta boost his ego, make him feel important, might get more outta him."

After all, the kid was the youngest, so he was trying to prove himself, and boosting his little ego might be a help to them.

And Caroline was right about trying to escape at night, it was foolhardy, and would likely be unsuccessful, and they would only get one chance. 

"C'mon, now, we need ta rest, won't do ta be half-asleep when th' time comes."  Sighing, Addy wrapped her arms around Caroline's shoulders and urged her to lay down.  "Sorry ya hafta be in this, Miss Caroline, but I can't say as I don't mind not bein' alone."

@Wayfarer

"Reckon it can't hurt ta ask," Addy muttered, "'less they take a mind ta smack ya again."

"Eh, I been smacked around worse, comes with my job on occasion. Gotten in a few good ones myself though too," Caroline smiled back.

"If ya can find a way ta boost his ego, make him feel important, might get more outta him," Addy suggested.

"Well now, then I'm the right gal for that. It's what I do to most of my customers," Caroline nodded.

"C'mon, now, we need ta rest, won't do ta be half-asleep when th' time comes."  Sighing, Addy wrapped her arms around Caroline's shoulders and urged her to lay down.  "Sorry ya hafta be in this, Miss Caroline, but I can't say as I don't mind not bein' alone."

"It's none of yer fault. And if we stick together, we can get out of this alive yet, I'm sure of it," Caroline appreciated the hug and reciprocated it too. Though truth be told, she certainly was NOT sure of it.

Caroline slept in and out. No surprise given their awful situation plus she was missing the alcohol something fierce already. But both of them were prodded up without ceremony when the war party decided to break camp at daybreak. Most of the warriors were talking amongst themselves but the young buck, he seemed to be assigned to them. Made sense too as he did speak their lingo.

"So...you gotta name then...what we can call you when we talk? Otherwise I'm gonna just call ya Handsome," Caroline smiled. Well, he wasn't bad looking at all for a murderous redskin besides the idea was to butter him up.

"Houusoo," the boy nodded, "is  Young Raven to you."

Caroline smiled, "Oh, I like it. Yeah, I can see that....that nice black hair of yers. Makes sense."

He did not ask them theirs though merely said, "We go now. We decide how you ride with us this time."

"Oh sure, whatever seems best. But we can stay on a horse, you don't have to throw us over one like we were a blanket," Caroline hoped this would not be a repeat of yesterday's experience.

He did not amplify though so Caroline asked, "You speak English real good. How did you learn it? Yer really a smart lad I think...doin' that."

Houusoo seemed willing to answer that one, "Missionary woman.......she teach me. She live with us for some time. She try to make us Christians."

Caroline glanced over to Addy, "Pretty impressive, ain't it. I like this one. Handsome and smart to boot."

indianforsagas4.jpg

@Bongo

Addy had slept fitfully was well, ever alert to potential trouble, and cold as well, despite huddling with Caroline.  But at least they were still alive and relatively unscathed come morning.

Caroline hadn't lied about her sweet-talking skills, and it seemed that the young man was at least enjoying the flattery a bit.

"Shore is smart," Addy agreed.  "English ain't easy, heck, I been talkin' it all along, an' th' lad here's better'n me."

She grinned, then shrugged.  "It would be easier were we ta ride proper-like."  And, oh, dear god, it would make life much more pleasant, even if it meant riding double and being up-close and personal with one of the rather ripe men, be it in front or behind.

@Wayfarer

Addy fell in and played along with the buttering up attempt.

"Shore is smart," Addy agreed.  "English ain't easy, heck, I been talkin' it all along, an' th' lad here's better'n me."

"Darn right he is," Caroline added.

"First time I practice since the last time we have white captive," Houusee nodded, he was indeed basking in the praise. Likely a novice brave did not get much of that being the low one on the totem pole so to speak with these older warriors.

Addy grinned, then shrugged.  "It would be easier were we ta ride proper-like."

"I tell them," the young man announced.

When the time for them all to mount up, whether the boy had convinced the others or they had their own reasons, this time the women were not to tossed over the horses backs like saddle bags. They were to ride with an Indian instead. But even that did not go without a hitch.

Not their seeming leader or chief or whatever they called the one in charge, but another warrior moved right up to Caroline, seized her by the arm, then slung her right to the ground taking the saloon girl completely by surprise. He was saying something in the most angry tones and then went down upon the white eyes female. There was a short struggle which was most one sided as he punched her in the face when she resisted his initial attempt to pull off her bloomers. That blow allowed him to complete the action and with a whoop he tossed it off to one side as other warriors laughed. It was all great fun except for Caroline.

However her worst fears were not realized, that had not been the prelude to something far worse, like the man assaulting her. Instead he stood up, pulled her up and yanked her over to his horse.  He mounted first then reached down and lifted her onto a position behind her. But it was at least riding.

Houusoo looked as amused as the rest of the war party until it was over then turned to Addy.

"You ride with me. Do not make trouble. I go up then you behind me. You hang on to me so you not fall off. Teestou be much angry if you do."

@Bongo

As their captors went after Caroline, Addy tensed, but there was nothing she could do but close her eyes and hope for the best, and brace for her turn.  But it seemed that all they wanted were the poor girl's bloomers, which was going to make the ride very uncomfortable, not that there was anything to do for it.

Taking a breath, Addy nodded to Houusoo, staying silent, happy to still have her britches.  After the boy had mounted, she grasped his arm and swung up behind him, then rested her hands on her thighs.

"I'll stay on," she muttered, although it occurred to her to slip around a bit, so as not to let on that she was an excellent rider.  And she had to admit, even being this close to the delightful aromas of her captor, this beat being slung over the back of a horse!

@Wayfarer

It had been so hard not to fight back, resist but all that would most likely happen is these savages would get angry at her lack of cooperation and just do all the worse to her. Maybe even rape or death.  Caroline had been raped once before and did not want to go thru that again if at all possible and well.........death....no, she still wanted to live.  So off went the bloomers and now she was mounted on a horse behind one of the warriors.

Caroline wrapped both hands around his waist, not that she wanted to touch him, but she sure as hell didn't want to fall off either. Just bring more anger down on herself. Turning toward Addy the boy was taking her. She wondered if Addy might try and take advantage of that situation and suddenly down the trail shove him off the horse and ride off. She was a good rider, maybe not Injun good but she knew how to handle a horse.

No, she most likely wouldn't. It was doubtful she could escape their inevitable pursuit and them catching her would probably prove to be fatal for her. Also she just didn't think Addy was the sort to abandon her to this fate. No, they were in this together. And if they ever found the chance to make their break, two might just do better than one.

The war party was back to riding in the rough high ground parallel to the narrow road down below, no doubt they were looking for more folks to ambush. Or maybe they'd come upon an unsuspecting farm. At least it did not appear like they were taking the women to their village. For now.

Caroline finally decided to ask the boy something so she turned to face him and Addy.

"Hey, what are they gonna do with us? You must have kept us for some reason?"

Surprisingly the boy did not object to the question and replied, "We trade you. We give you back to your people, we get guns and bullets."

Caroline doubted that plan would work. But telling them that might not be a good idea either. So she might as well play it up.

"Smart. I have important person in town, my people will give you a lot for me. An' Addy there, why she happens to be the best employee in that company, she should be worth a whole lot of rifles. Right there, hon?"

@Bongo

• JulieS locked this topic