• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "We'll have to get on over to the dinning room them. Afraid it's liable to be a bit more like Kalispell than Frisco." He said. "But it'll be good food, just not what we've been used too. Will be up on the hill, for sure.  I was told this is the best hotel because it was a ways out across the river from town, and it was solid built."   "The wealth on the hill is such that all most everything around it is growing at a fast pace. You'll really see that when we visit the Capitol, Carson City. Supposedly discovered by Kit Carson and General John Freemont on their way to Sacramento in. At least Freemont named the river after him back in '43 or '44. Nothin' was there then."   "All that made me hungry too, let's go eat an then take us a walk across the river, or along it, which ever you want." @Bongo
    • That did not take long. Cookie rang the triangle and shouted his best but in the end he sent the kid to roust all but the closest to him. Rance joined young Wheeler in the line, a bit out of the wind, but mostly in it for the moment. It seemed calmer up by the wagon.   "That had ta be bad back there. The wind drivin' the dust an' the smell, but should this wind let up you'll be on flank, left flank, then right, then back to the drag. It'll be me, Dallas, an' Dixie. eatin' dust tomorrow. But at least we got hot grub, won't always be that'a way out here though, every trip is different."   And they moved up steadily. @Bongo
    • "Nothing to discuss? I am surprised, Jonah. Why, if we have time for breakfast, there will be much to discuss regarding the hospital as well as the start of the orphanage. Hopefully that the railroad will be completed, or close to it by then." She smiled brightly. "Things will be different by then."   "My hope is that we get through all of this without my fathers interference causing delays, or real problems with the builders. You know we could get well into October before the snow flies, but I'm not counting on that. The winter will stop construction until the thaw." She stated, but the smile was still there, "But it will be well underway!" @Bongo
    • "Pleased ta meet ya, Rance."  Justus gave the man a nod, then lined up with the others for grub.  Maybe he could get some sleep despite the wind.  He surely was tired enough, and until there was something that concerned him, he didn't need to be concerned.   First, though, a full belly!  As the line progressed, he he nodded to the kid who was the cook's help.  "Times like this, I bet yer glad ya don't have ta be on th' downwind end of a herd'a cows!"   @Flip
    • "It's good to know you'll have the best working on the project, you've come this far, you don't need to risk the quality with less than the best working on it."  Even though he had no doubt that the crew would be excellent, it was reassuring to know that the man hand picked for the job would actually be on site overseeing it.  That way, too, he'd be there if Leah needed to discuss anything with him, and Jonah had a good feeling that was going to happen!   He grinned and took a sip of coffee.  "Just think, this time next year it will all be over!  We'll have a fine hospital with the best equipment...and nothing to discuss over breakfast!"   @Flip  

Whitefish

Elias Steelgrave

It was getting on midday when Elias Steelegrave rode into the main street of Whitefish. He could well have taken a buggy, buckboard or been driven, but Elias still liked the feel of a good horse under him. He first looked to the hitch rail at the Silver Dollar, but Case's horse was not there, so the next stop would be the Marshals Office and sure enough, Cases chestnut stood three-legged at the rail. Elias turned in next to it and stepped down tying his gilded grey and stepping toward the door.

Stepping inside he saw Case behind the desk, reading the Police Gazette. "Son." He greeted, though Case had not bothered to look up when he entered.

Case looked up and set the paper down quickly. "Pa, there trouble?" He asked.

"Some." Then he went on, "Need you to get on to that lawyer fella, Ashworth. I want information on a Matthew Wentworth from the east. Son of a bitch bought the hotel in Kalispell and your sister don't like him. That's plenty good enough for me."

"He'll be back on this afternoons stage, I'll get him right on it." Case assured him, and he would. His sister was savvy. If she didn't like this man, there was bound to be a good reason.  "And I take it there's something else?"

Elias smiled. "Indeed. John Caron's spread, well he needs a few less head of beef, and the family needs the land. Set your boys to it soon as you can."

large.655353396_CaseSteelgrav1.jpg.598f86dd396e854e6fbfafd6c4aaa2ee.jpg

TBC

• 2 weeks later...

Case smiled, yes the family could use the land and the livestock that was on it. This should be easy, Caron had few hands, none were gunmen and from previous surveillance, he only had one man on night herd. "It will be taken care of Pa, we'll drive the cattle to Lake Canyon like before. I'll have the boys get busy with the runnin' iron, Toole's real handy carving ears with our split crop." He laughed then. "Easy as eatin' pudding."

"No witnesses. Understand?" Elias stressed. "This has been pretty smooth, no need to get caught because we're greedy. Take what takable, if it isn't the who herd, don't force it. Get in, get out."

"Yes Pa, not going to be a problem. Not at all." Case assured his father.

"Good, and boy, you remember to see you mother, she worries some."

"I'll ride over once this job is done. I need to send a man, likely Ashworth over to Kalispell. New man over there that shapes up as a hard case. Need to see if he's ridin' for Thronton."

"If he is, maybe something needs to happen to him." Elias proposed.

"Rough country out that way, most anything could happen. I'll see to it."

Without another word, Elias Steelegrave walked out of the office, mounted his horse and rode out of Whitefish.

TBC

The door closed and Case Steelgrave sat a long moment. All of a sudden the McKenna spread was taking a backseat to what his father wanted. Perhaps demanded would be a better word for it, however, that was Elias Steelgrave, and that was the way he worked. So, when Sorroco and Slone got back with their information, things would change in a hurry.

He got up and walked to the stove to pour a cup of coffee. It wouldn't really be long before the Steelgraves controlled everything around Whitefish and then whatever plans his father had for Kalispell would be out and into action, and if there was one thing case knew, Elias Steelgrave had plans for Kalispell and very likely Shade Thornton and the Lost Lake Ranch.

Elias Steelgrave all but strutted to his horse, he would be speeding up the timeline to evict the small ranchers. He'd take their cattle first, as he always did. Then, if necessary he'd burn them out. Killing was not out of the question for him. If they wouldn't leave, then there would be an accident, a fatal accident and his son had just then men to do it.

He stepped into leather and swung aboard the animal. A satisfying trip indeed. Another step in the plan for the Whitefish area was in motion. He touched a spur to the horse's flanks lifting him to a canter as he rode out of Whitefish, headed home to the Evergreen.

Case Steelgrave had his orders and the men that could get it done. he had made the plan know to four of his best men, and no one else. The four would not talk, that was how things worked. He managed to get the lawyer Ashworth headed for Kalispell to ferret out exactly who and what this Pike fellow was all about. A busy afternoon indeed. With his men out, he could relax perhaps with one of the girls at the Silver Dollar. There were others in town that he had his pick of, but he simply wasn't in the mood for any of them.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

A bit later as the sun began to sink the night raiders topped the ridge overlooking Joh Caron's herd. It was on the smallish side and had only one rider with the herd. His job, of course, was to ward off coyotes from taking down a calf and generally keeping the herd bedded down. He'd be on the lookout as well, but once the moon began to rise another rider would replace him. This night-hawk might be more experienced and more cautious about the two-legged coyotes that might be about. He would be mounted on what was lovingly called a 'night mare'  because of it's sure-footedness in the dark, the ability to sense another animal in the dark.

But Steelgrave's riders would be patient and let the evening pass into the night and the change of riders.  Let the man and animal settle in and then make their move. They would come in a rush to cut the herd whooping and hollering to start the cattle. One man, generally the best shot would be responsible for the night-hawk because he would open fire the instant it began.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

They came out of the dark four abreast guns drawn and making as much noise as possible. The night-hawk reined in and drew his pistol, but before he could get off a shot a bullet took him through the chest and in moments the four raiders were driving the cattle north of the Caron range.

They would make several cuts in different directions before driving the cattle in a sandy wash that would hide their tracks the rest of the way to the branch that would lead them to Lake Canyon holding ground where the brands would be changed and then allowed to graze for a few days before they were driven to evergreen range. Elias would already have a contrived bill of sale needing only a head count. When he felt he had enough, they would be driven out of the country and shipped east, at a tidy profit and John Caro? He was down a man and a good part of his heard.

image.jpeg

TBC

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.8a95a2653c8de562c2da4d0442336b1b.jpeg

Lake Canyon was long and deep. A wide green valley with good grass and water for the stock, some of which was the Steelgraves and some of which was not. The altered brands and forged bills of sale from out of the area covered what was going on to the unsuspecting eye.

Off of the main range was another of many offshoots, one they had dubbed Horsethief Canyon, and that was where the brand artist did his work before the rebranded cattle were returned to mingle in with the rest. A pretty smooth operation all in all. Not that the Steelgraves were the first to use it, hardly. It was first used as a hideout in the fifties and on and off for some twenty odd years by outlaws and the like. Of course, things change, the secret dies and the land is quiet again, that is until Case Steelegrave stumbled on it while hunting in the late seventies.

A cabin, water, most everything a man could want including game to be taken. However, his ideas for Lake Canyon were much much different. The graves of maybe a dozen men were there scattered in the hills. And then the idea of rustling came to him between time spent in Texas and Montana. It would take men, a certain kind of men, but Case Steelgrave knew a lot of the right men, some from Texas, some from Montana. So he began filling the Evergreen Ranch with cattle.