• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Ain't hardly nothin' to do but hunker down till she blows herself out." The man squatted, "Rance, is the name. Been watchin' you, doin' a fine job. You'll do Wheeler, you'll do. Try and get some rest, might end up bein' a long night. Least you won't be ridin' drag come daylight, there's a plus for ya."   He stood and made his way to his shelter to await the grub that was coming.   @Bongo
    • Meanwhile, in the main house, Reb Culverson was visiting with his old friend Fightin' Joe Hooker, who was the ramrod for the fledgling Montana Territory Stockgrowers Association, Northern District. He was there to convince ranchers to join and support the organization, hoping it would take root.   "And just what good is this here association ya got started?" Reb asked.   "It'll give us a voice in the territorial government, Reb, that's what it'll do. Once that happens we'll be able to git us some sortta range police to protect the herds, and the ranchers." Hooker responded. "Rustlin' might not be the threat it was, but you know as well as me, it can come back."   "You get anywhere with Lost Lake, 'er that cow thief on the Evergreen?" Reb asked.   "Can't say as I have, startin' with the smaller spreads an' workin' my way up to them two. I'm well aware of both spreads, and the men that own 'em."   -------------0------------   They swept down out of the trees whooping and hollering and firing off a couple of shots as they closed on both sides of a big group of cattle, just as they had planned. The  lone night hawk knew he had no chance of stopping the raiders, or of saving the cattle while he watched the chunk of the herd moving toward and then into the trees at a run.  He emptied his Colt at the raiders, the whipped out his Winchester  and levered several shots in the area where they had disappeared.   He could not know that one of his shots had found its mark. A man that had just joined took a slug in his back and toppled from his horse. Toole and the men continued to drive the cattle toward the dry riverbed as planned. It was an acceptable loss.   The sound of the shots, mere pops at the distance to the main house and the bunk house alerted everyone, and men boiled out of the bunk house guns in hand, only to watch the night man shooting after the rustlers.
    • Out on the boardwalk they stopped, "So we managed ta git a deal right off, thet's good, it is. Now all we gotta do is convince ol' Wentworth to free up the money so's ya don't have ta use yers right off." Amos commented, "Seems a fair deal but like you say, minin's not no sure thing."   "John and Mary are good folks. It's not a sure thing, but you saw the vein, went to the floor and it looks rich," Speed responded. "And it looks to be wider where they stopped digging. I can't wait to get it assayed to see what we've really got our hands on."   "And it should assay out pretty good from the looks of it, though I know so little about copper ore." Alice admitted.   "Well, you saw the copper ore, which is clearly distinguishable from the surrounding rock due to its reddish, mottled appearance. And that surrounding rock is granite which is not easy to work, but it can be done, and, if we have hit it, the veins could be as much as a mile long, a mile wide, and a mile deep!" Speed explained with a grin. "With that equipment we'll be able to not only dig deeper, we'll be able to tunnel, and we have the property to do just that."   "Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!" Amos exclaimed. Might oughtta buy up what ground ya can aound 'er, jest ta be certain!"   "First things first, let get on up to the bank." Speed suggested.
    • Justus was more than happy to have a chance to get out of the bulk of the wind, although he knew this was far from over.  And he knew they'd be hacking up dirt for days.     With the picket lines set, he moved over to help put up the shelters for the night, pretty quickly deciding that it was a fool's errand...they were all going to be miserable until this let up.   Squinting, he looked out toward the herd, not able to see but a few in the dust, it looked like they had been swallowed by the big, dirty cloud, and weren't even there.  In fact, he had the eerie sensation that all that was left in the world was this small circle of men and horses.   "Ya need me ta do anythin' else?" he called over the din of the wind.   @Flip
    • Doc Gilcrest walked into the bunck house to see Carson on his feet, dressed. "I may not be able to ride, but I can darn sure walk some. Tired of layin' in that bed."   "I reckon you kin do thet, sure 'nough. No body said ya had ta lie there if'n ya didn't want to. Yer stitched up plenty good. Jest leave thet hog leg where she's hangin' fer now, don't need the weight in thet wound."   "So anybody come sniffin' around?" He asked.   "Not so's you'd notice. There's four men down there keepin' watch, but it don't look like Lost Lake's lost any sleep over their man, that is if'n they even know he's gone." Gilcrest offered.   "He seen that brand an' went ta shootin'!" Carson reflected. "I jest shot straighter. Had no choice in the matter. Fool could'a rode on, but, well, that just ain't what happened. Hell of a mess."   "Oh I dunno. So far nobodies come huntin', the boss ain't upset over it, neither's Granger, so you got nothin' ta worry on 'cept gettin' better."   "I should'a been more careful, but maybe there just wasn't no way to be more careful. Up on the side of that mountain is the purdiest view a man could look at. You can see fer miles, see right where they got them cows of theirs. Now that ain't gonna be no easy matter to get to any of 'em. They're deep on Lost Lake range. Gonna be hard to get at, an' worse to get out. We'll lose some men tryin' this one, that's for sure!'   Gilcrest rubbed his chin. It wasn't like Carson to go on about the prospects of a job.

Kalispell Mayor Elections

Synopsis

Mayoral Elections in Kalispell. Possible way for the Steelgraves to get a tighter grip on the town with their own candidate.

One thought is that Matt Wentworth as the hotel owner might be dragged into this which will hinder his other activities.  Also opens up the possibility of new major characters for future participants.

Characters Requested

Everyone

Anything Else

All suggestions to which way this can go would be good.

Don't know what the town's situation is like or if it is big enough to have a mayor but it is something to think about for a future plot.

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)

Awesome idea!

We have mentioned a mayor in the past but it was just a single line. However, no name was given or anything. It was literally a mention in passing.

What about ignoring that and past mention, state there is a town manager but now they want to do a mayoral election with a formal town council?

Mayor was a pretty common way towns were run back then, now more places use city managers. I like the idea of an election, yep.

BTW Clara thinks she would be the best person to be mayor, she is confident she could run things. 😁

Wait....what? There's some stupid age qualification???????  Sigh.

Highly doubtful in that period that a woman would even be considered, but, since we have a woman deputy...why not?

As to the Steelgraves having a character run for the office, there is no established ncp under their control (ie: that writers would know but not suspect), Hell of an idea though.

I would definitely agree it's too early in our nation's history to be having women run for mayor. They need to secure the right to vote yet and even then a long time passed before they started getting into political offices.

And I hope everyone realizes I was kidding about Clara.

First Question: Would this include the men already in use, both active and NCP? I ask as I have a number of NCP's as you probably know. Yet only a couple I would be consider as fitting to run for office

Now, IF we were to allow NCP's and I would suggest only PNCP's which are not cowboys. Only a suggestion.

And another idea would be to have party candidates, using the party's of the period...or not,

We may have to whittle down the number tossing their hat in the ring by some method.

Just fuel for thought.

Well, I think it can be NPCs or reg chars. I definitely agree it shouldn't be a cowboy though, I can't see them running. Unless maybe a retired one I suppose.

I also think it could be already existing chars (like Steelgraves) or brand new ones someone wants to make up.

I agree wholeheartedly, Wayfarer. I do have one reservation about the Steelgraves though, They are disliked and certainly distrusted in Kalispell. The idea of a Steelgrave plant, that's a different story altogether.

But, we'll see what the boss lady has in mind

While working on the wiki, I had a couple of ideas....well, okay, one.

I think it would be highly IC for a Steelgrave to run or put in a candidate of their choosing.

However, as I was looking for a way to retired Hannah's father (Marshal Scott Cory), how about I create a shared NPC bio on him and we field him as a candidate. He would have to step down as marshal and that leaves the way clear for Flip's Speed Guyer to step in as marshal. It would work out great all around.

Also, y'all, remember that while we're trying to keep historical events accurate, overall our setting is more cineverse wild west than strictly factual. We could have a lady mayor.

No, Clara, you are too young!

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)

I would be okay for Scott to run for mayor, it could also be a good way to have the Steelgraves try something against him for revenge. They might not want to kill a serving Marshal, but a civilian just running for mayor might be a tempting target for them after all the years of him probably thwarting their plans and being a big obstacle.

Re-reading all this it dawned on me, Kalispel would then need a town council along with this newly minted mayor. Perhaps, another suggestion, those who run and lose could be appointed to the council by the winner.

Any thought to how the actual/fictional vote will be handled? In the spirit of the times a vote could be bought for a drink...just sayin'.

Actually, I left a place open for town council on the Kalispell Claims page in our new Wiki.

As far as the votes buying goes and voting, if we're agreeing it will wind up being a specific character, we just have to account for things in our writing. If we decide to leave it to chance, we can do a dice roll on our Discord.

Fair enough. It would greatly depend on the direction the story is going as well, especially where it might involve the mayor and city council. Tough call for the moment.

Ellias.jpg.e0ea27a8cc1c64a060ff1ed77bbb91ad.jpgBut I have a candidate in mind...bwahahahahahaha ech...cough. cough, snort