• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "We'll have to get on over to the dinning room them. Afraid it's liable to be a bit more like Kalispell than Frisco." He said. "But it'll be good food, just not what we've been used too. Will be up on the hill, for sure.  I was told this is the best hotel because it was a ways out across the river from town, and it was solid built."   "The wealth on the hill is such that all most everything around it is growing at a fast pace. You'll really see that when we visit the Capitol, Carson City. Supposedly discovered by Kit Carson and General John Freemont on their way to Sacramento in. At least Freemont named the river after him back in '43 or '44. Nothin' was there then."   "All that made me hungry too, let's go eat an then take us a walk across the river, or along it, which ever you want." @Bongo
    • That did not take long. Cookie rang the triangle and shouted his best but in the end he sent the kid to roust all but the closest to him. Rance joined young Wheeler in the line, a bit out of the wind, but mostly in it for the moment. It seemed calmer up by the wagon.   "That had ta be bad back there. The wind drivin' the dust an' the smell, but should this wind let up you'll be on flank, left flank, then right, then back to the drag. It'll be me, Dallas, an' Dixie. eatin' dust tomorrow. But at least we got hot grub, won't always be that'a way out here though, every trip is different."   And they moved up steadily. @Bongo
    • "Nothing to discuss? I am surprised, Jonah. Why, if we have time for breakfast, there will be much to discuss regarding the hospital as well as the start of the orphanage. Hopefully that the railroad will be completed, or close to it by then." She smiled brightly. "Things will be different by then."   "My hope is that we get through all of this without my fathers interference causing delays, or real problems with the builders. You know we could get well into October before the snow flies, but I'm not counting on that. The winter will stop construction until the thaw." She stated, but the smile was still there, "But it will be well underway!" @Bongo
    • "Pleased ta meet ya, Rance."  Justus gave the man a nod, then lined up with the others for grub.  Maybe he could get some sleep despite the wind.  He surely was tired enough, and until there was something that concerned him, he didn't need to be concerned.   First, though, a full belly!  As the line progressed, he he nodded to the kid who was the cook's help.  "Times like this, I bet yer glad ya don't have ta be on th' downwind end of a herd'a cows!"   @Flip
    • "It's good to know you'll have the best working on the project, you've come this far, you don't need to risk the quality with less than the best working on it."  Even though he had no doubt that the crew would be excellent, it was reassuring to know that the man hand picked for the job would actually be on site overseeing it.  That way, too, he'd be there if Leah needed to discuss anything with him, and Jonah had a good feeling that was going to happen!   He grinned and took a sip of coffee.  "Just think, this time next year it will all be over!  We'll have a fine hospital with the best equipment...and nothing to discuss over breakfast!"   @Flip  

Bear-ing the News

With: Addy & Speed
When: August / 24 / 1875
Time of Day: Morning

content-divider.png

It had been a long...well, time, since Addy had had any decent rest...since before leaving Whitefish the day before, but it certainly wasn't the first time she'd had a grueling few days...heck, the War was all about pushing yourself past your limits, and this was something that really couldn't wait, even for a few hours while she slept.

Of course, her companion was in the same boat...he'd been with her in Whitefish, on the trip back when the horses pulling the freight wagon were attack, and then well into the night as they road to town, alerted the law, came back for the wagon and the track the bear, back to town and now...saddled up and heading the couple hour ride to the closest village she knew of where the Flatheads were abiding by the treaties and were 'safe' to approach.  They could pass the word along.

"Shouldn't have trouble," she told Speed as she turned Arabesque off the main road onto a much smaller track, "I been out here a time'er two before, they aren't th' most friendly, but we don't go in lookin' like trouble, they should be fine."  And the offerings of beans, flour and sugar that they had managed to get hold of, though meager, would give them a chance to be heard.

@Flip

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)

To that Speed chuckled. "Well to my scant knowledge, Indians are notional, and therefor keeping my hair will be a priority with these folks." He responded. "But they do need to know what's out there. Fact might me they will track it. Bear meat is supposed to be real good. Least ways, what I've had of it it was."

The pace was easy, but he was wary of the trail, well, the trees and rocks, though he was sure that the bear was no where near here, not that he could verify that, it was just a hunch, and those are iffy at best. "How much further, Addy?"

Tag @Bongo

"Well to my scant knowledge, Indians are notional, and therefor keeping my hair will be a priority with these folks."

"Ain't that always the way of it?"Addy commented with a grin.  "Best keep yer hat on, then."  Yes, it was a risk going into the village, but there hadn't been any recent conflict, so their chances of having a peaceful meeting were good.

"But they do need to know what's out there. Fact might me they will track it. Bear meat is supposed to be real good. Least ways, what I've had of it it was."

"Right on that," she agreed.  "Heck, that bear could like feed them fer a good long while."  She glanced at Speed.  "Maybe we oughta talk ta Miz Hannah, suggest that...likely won't none'a th' white folk do anything with th' meat but let it rot."  Someone might want the hide, but bear meat wasn't a big commodity.

"How much further, Addy?"

"Within th' hour," she commented.  "This'd be a good chance fer ya, ta get ta know some of th' locals, they can be of help, if they've a mind."  She grinned, then tilted her head slightly.  "Smell that?  Smoke...should be gettin' there.  They move around a bit, fer resources."

A short time later they topped a ridge and found themselves overlooking a camp, active with men, women and children.  "All right, then, head up, look steady but confident, we'll do fine."

@Flip

Speed looked at Addy and smiled, "Why Ma'am, as a veteran of the wars, and several skirmishes along the way, I believe I can carry that off." As he had said, the red man was notional, and might be friendly one moment and aggressive the next. His experiences had been looking down the barrel of his rifle, or, seeing them from afar, he had never actually parlayed with them. He would leave that to Addy.

The Indians had a right to know about he rouge bear for the protection of their village and their families. "Well, let's get to it." He added, quite sure of their abilities. Not so sure of the Indians reception for the two.

Despite feeling wary and on edge, Addy sat tall on her sorrel mare as she and Speed rode toward the camp.  She kept a sharp eye for any sign of trouble, but all that they saw was what was to be expected...cautious suspicion, the activity stopping, some of the men coming forward, although the women and children were staying in place...a good sign that they weren't hiding. 

Stopping just at the implied perimeter, she waited to be approached, sitting steady, watching for any sign that they were about to die!

"Hè ," she greeted, (using Lenape because that's all her writer has to go by) " ashëntès'hatin," 'gifts', " òk kukhus..."  'The owl', bearer of bad news.

The men looked the pair over suspiciously but one finally nodded.  At that, Addy swung from the saddle, then glanced at Speed.  "Go ahead an' give 'em th' goods we brought, then I'll see if I remember th' word fer 'bear'."  This was going to be entertaining, but she had always managed to communicate with the tribes during her occasional interactions with them.

@Flip

Speed Smiled, definitely in the jaws, but he'd been there before, and survived, so this was a new challenge for him.  he was slow and deliberate in his motions as he reached behind him and pulled the pigeon strings to loose the bundle with the beans, flower, and sugar. Getting a firm grip on it he pulled it around in front of him, then lowered it toward the men.

With a smile he said, "Hope this works and you remember that word. I'd hate to have to try and pantomime what we mean." The smile was for the Indians as Speed was not really comforted by their look. "Up side to all this, they spread the word and help in the hunt, though we're some distance from where it was last seen."

The offering of food was greeted eagerly, a few of the men coming forward to claim it, although there were those who hung back, keeping a wary eye on the strangers. 

"Good sign, but that don't mean they won't do somethin'," Addy murmured to Speed.  They might grab the goods then cause some harm, might not, you never did know from one time to the next.  For the most part, though, Addy was confident that there wasn't any real danger.

"Màxkw," she said, bringing her hands up like paws and growling, then gesturing to the trees behind them, " xinkwi màxkw..."  At this, she made a gesture meant to be 'big'.  "Um... mahchikwi..."

The man was staring at them with a confused expression, and she sighed.  Apparently, her 'bear', 'big' and 'bad' weren't so good!  Glancing at Speed, she shrugged, then did her bear gesture again, followed by grabbing her horse's neck (gently), then shook and growled.  Still no reaction, and, mid-growl, she glanced at Speed.

"Any help here..."

@Flip

Speed smiled at her, not at all sure what to do about the impasse on this word. He knew little of Indian languages, when it came to him that most likely sign language was the common cure for language barriers with in the Indian tribes.

"Let's see if this works." He said and slowly Speed crossed his arms on his chest, hands made  to represent claws and made the clawing motion twice, the fingers remaining as claws. He looked at the men for their reaction and quickly to Addy, then back.

The man who had taken charge of the 'convertation' looked from Addy to Speed, frowning.  His expression remained serious as he spoke quietly to the others with him, then approached the pair. 

"Màxkw ?"  He mimicked Speed's gesture, then pointed to Addy.  "Màxkw xkwe, kànkami awèn."

Then he suddenly burst into laughter, quickly followed by his companions.  "Come down, join us for a meal, tell us your news in  your language."  He grinned.  "You do not do well in ours!"

"Well, if that don't beat all!"  Shaking her head, Addy joined the laughter as she swung out of the saddle and dropped the reins to ground-tie Arabesque.

@Flip

• Bongo locked this topic