• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Justus kept a close eye on the man as he approached, reassured by the fact that he was being allowed to approach, and that there was no sign of aggression.  He stopped a few feet away.   "Evenin', sir."  Justus nodded with an easy grin, relieved that it seemed this was a friendly bunch.  Most men on drives were, but Justus had learned young that it was best to assume the worst, then be happily surprised.   "Just what are you up too?" It was Dallas, and he was one to ask questions first, rather than just shoot a fellow. "You might oughtta ride on in like a man. There'll be plenty of grub, and you'll be welcome to it." He smiled.   "Thank ya, sir, I might do just that."  While he didn't want to seem too eager, there was no denying that he was grateful for the offer.   "You out here on yer own? Mount up an' I'll ride in with ya jest so's you don't get shot er nuthin'!" The he laughed.   "Yes, sir, I'm alone."  Swinging into the saddle, Justus patted Mule on the neck, then fell into pace beside the man.  "I do appreciate this, sir, I'll work for it, sir, help th' cookie with dishes or some'at."  A thankless job, but it wouldn't do him any harm, and he wouldn't feel so much like mooching.   "Oh, m' name's Justus Wheeler, sir.  I'm headed north, nowhere in particular."   @Flip
    • Mature Content:  Might well be violence.   With: Turk Flagg, Caroline, and who knows else Location: Star Dust Saloon When: Sept/ 1876 Time of Day: Early evening     Now Turk had never been to this part of Montana previously but  seemed like a nice enough quiet town. Actually peaceful towns were not exactly good for his sort of occupation but then he had not ridden in with any specific job in mind.  He was between jobs, just last week he'd delivered a prisoner to a small town south of Kalispell, the man had been a wanted rustler. Fellow whined the whole way back right up to jail that he was innocent. Turk then just pointed out he was neither judge nor jury, tell it to someone who cared. Least he had some cash in his pocket. And where better to spend a bit of it then in the town's only saloon apparently. Least only one he could spot.   Entering into the place thru the swinging bat doors, he took in the joint. Decent enough, he'd seen many worse, some better. On this weekday night it was not crowded but there were a few folks at the bar and some others gathered around tables, most tables holding card games. He didn't go for cards though and on those rare occasions when he had, he usually lost money. Nope, keep it simple, get a drink or two or four.   As he sidled up to the bar, the bartender was presently occupied with another customer so he paused to take a second scan of the place. And who should he see but...................   "Caroline?  Caroline Mundee," he made sure he said those words loud enough the woman could hear him as she  a good distance away, holding a tray of drinks.   Caroline not only picked up on her name but recognized the voice and turned to see just to make certain. The look on her face made it plain she knew the speaker alright as she broke out into a wide smile.   "Well, I'll be !  Gimme a minute," she called back then hurried to finish her on duty errand, duly placing the tray in front of four card players, "Here ya are, boys. Enjoy!"    Turk nodded and just leaned with his back against the bar, watching her every move. She sure was as pretty as the last time they'd seen each other. He never took his eyes off her as she then approached and in a few seconds the two embraced in a quick but heartfelt hug.   "Turk! I had heard rumors you were dead," Caroline declared when they broke it up.   "Nope, I can truly assure you that I am not. Yer lookin' fine as always," he grinned.   Caroline looked past him for a moment, "Ralph, break out one of the good bottles and pour us two shots, will ya, hon?"    "Shit! How much that gonna cost me now?"  Turk knew her routine alright, they'd become friends in Helena when she worked a saloon there.   "Nah! On the house! I'm real glad ta see you again," Caroline then leaned into the bar next to him, they had some catching up to do alright.              
    • Four good men was all he needed, and Granger knew just the men for the job. Men that would kill anyone that threatened the ranch in any way, shape, or form. Of course, that went doe any number of of the Evergreen hands, the men he wanted would be the worst, and most dangerous of the hands Elias Steelgrave employed   The first one he ran on to was the stocky built Dutch, the only name they knew him by, but that was enough. He rode up next to the man, "Dutch, Mister Steelgrave has a job for you."   Dutch looked to him, knowing if the old man wanted him for a job it wouldn't be nurse maiding no cows. "Sure Granger, what's he got in mind?"   "Might be some Lost Lake men trailing Carson, they need to be stopped." It was quick and blunt.   "Right up my alley, Granger. Start now?" Dutch asked.   "I'll Get Treach, Watts, and Deckerd. Mister Steelgrave wants you boys to be sure they start it."    "Easy as pie. If you want I'll go for 'em, know right where they are and well just head that way." Dutch offered with a grin that was far from friendly.   "Sure Dutch, go ahead. Anything happens, you hightail it back here." Granger  replied to which Dutch nodded and spurred his horse.           Dutch                                      Treach                             Watts                       Deckerd
    • The conversation with Misses Thornton-Carlton had been informative, though she had not said when these hands from the Lost Lake would be in town for supplies. In New Mexico Territory they generally went once a month, unless they were in need of something or they got word an order had come in, which was rare, the Apaches saw to that. No one was willing to take the chance . But this here might be different. The Lost Lake was not so far from town as the Lazy S was to Lordsburg, nor as dangerous.   So, the hotel looked to be the place he'd stay until these hands rode in, and it would certainly give him a chance to meet some folks, like she said, see who his allies were. And from, what he had learned so far, the trouble ran deep between the Lost Lake and this Evergreen Ranch, and then toss in the son and his pack of animals. Things could get terminal real quick. This was shaping up to be far more than he had bargained for when he left New Mexico. But he was there now, so he could run, or stay, and Tyrell Thornton was not much for running.
    • Speed took the time to let Alice and her father know where he was going, and why, then mounted up and started out for the fort. He'd not been there, he had seen it in passing, and it was a welcome sight with the Indians out. He understood that the Military had no jurisdiction in town, and likely they might not be willing to help, yet, then again, they might. Protecting citizens was their job. And just because the ones Speed was asking them to protect were in town with active lawmen, A large contingent of outlaws  posed a significant threat.   The outlaws, be it Cases' gang or Elias' riders, or both together, it would be more than a handful lawmen could handle, even with the townsfolk defending their town. True, most had served in the War Between the States, but that had been over ten years ago, and true they had fought Indians and outlaws, yet these men were settled down now and past getting into gun trouble. And maybe it wouldn't come. Maybe Neither Steelgrave wanted to tangle with the town and it's people. Yet going to talk with the Army made sense, even if they couldn't really help out right then.

Posted (edited)

Now, chasing down riders was not his favorite thing to do, and Connolly, who had been missing for a spell was not one of the men Rusty Gilcrest was fond of. He was a drunk and a womanizer, at least that was Rusty's opinion, whether true or not, mattered not. He did not like the man, period. He would do what he was told to do, that was his work ethic.

On the plus side of this mess he was now into, he had some jingle in his pocket, and that meant the Stardust, and a beer while he asked about Connolly. But there was this gnawing thought that Connolly had be fired, although it was dealing with Elias Steelgrave and what the boss said went. Simple as that.

If Brendan didn't like it, he could take it up with Granger or Elias himself who shot and killed the last foreman they had. Rusty was no gun hand, so standing up to Connolly was not an idea that was palatable. Not in the least.

image.jpeg.bd4f8098ae2b90e9af1e58f46460baca.jpeg

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Gilcrest walked into the Stardust Saloon, a place he'd not seen in months, but then going to town didn't hold the excitement it used to. He looked around, letting old eyes adjust to the dimness. But it was a bit cooler than outside. There was Ralph Flandry behind the bar where he'd been a fixture for quite a while, well ever since Gilcrest had come to Kalispell two or three years before. It was time for a beer!

"Hello Ralph, like beer, and if you know the whereabouts of young Brendan Connolly. He's wanted out to the Evergreen." Gilcrest quizzed while asking for the beer he been thinking about the last four or five miles. His hope was to get Brendan headed back without a lot of trouble, which didn't seem any too likely.

image.jpeg.bd4f8098ae2b90e9af1e58f46460baca.jpeg

@Wayfarer

With Carson, down, Gilcrest and that useless Connolly  both in town, Granger was taking stock of the men on hand, in the event that Lost Lake decided to try an raid on the Evergreen. Wouldn't be unheard of, though that sort of thing hadn't happened in some time where the hand were deployed against the other ranch.

He knew that he had more than enough men to defend the place if need be, and to mount a counter attack if one was called for. Elias had yet to unleash his men on the other spread, but Granger believed that that was close at hand. No matter that Carson was on Steelgrave orders when he went over to spy, shooting an Evergreen hand just didn't sit well, like killing a Lost Lake hand. There would be payment due on both sides, which actually made no sense either.

image.jpeg.067de0167b014eb765b736afc7bbc0be.jpeg

"Hello Ralph, like beer, and if you know the whereabouts of young Brendan Connolly. He's wanted out to the Evergreen."

Ralph looked up from counting out some coins in the money box below the bar, it was that Gilchrist jasper, one of the Evergreen bunch. The man had never specifically caused any trouble in the saloon but still, he was an Evergreen man. Ever since that day Ralph stood with the Marshal in that street confrontation, the bartender didn't much care for that ranch and those who rode for it.

"Hello...one beer it is then," he began to pour a glassful from the barrel spigot.

"As for Connolly, I ain't seen him around. And he don't keep me informed of his comings and goings. Fraid yer outta luck."

He set the glass down in front of Gilchrist, "It's a nickel."

Ralph damn well knew Brendan slept up in Caroline's bedroom on the nights but that was none of Gilchrist's business.

@Flip

"Dang. They'd be callin' for him back to the Evergreen, an sent me to fetch him." Gilcrest said. Then, in two swallows, the beer was gone. "Have me one more afore I go huntin' him." He laid  a pair of nickles on the bar. "I thank ya, Ralph, knowin' it ain't none of your concern where that young fella is. He can shore get himself in a bind, though."

The second beer he took his time with. Kalispell wasn't so big that he'd have trouble locating Connolly. Whether or not he wanted to return he could only guess. What he would do was deliver the message, what Connolly did with it was his business, and Gilcrest would either ride back with him, or not, as the case may be. At that he smiled and took another sip of the brew.

image.jpeg.7d07dae4ff529b4b57a2799ae18d6a62.jpeg

@Wayfarer

"Dang. They'd be callin' for him back to the Evergreen, an sent me to fetch him." Gilcrest said.

Ralph just shrugged, thinking but not saying aloud  'not my problem'.

Then, in two swallows, the beer was gone. "Have me one more afore I go huntin' him." He laid  a pair of nickles on the bar. "I thank ya, Ralph, knowin' it ain't none of your concern where that young fella is. He can shore get himself in a bind, though."  

"He's young n' stupid. We were young once, don't know about you but I made my share of mistakes that age," the customer got a little bit of Ralph's philosophy on things.

@Flip

"Danged if we weren't!" Gilcrest stated, "Made are share of mistakes, that's fer positive sure. Time though, some of us lern't better, and did what we could ta be better'n we was. The war done thet for most all of us." He picked up his second beer, and once again, in a pair of gulps, it too was gone. "Thank ya kindly Ralph, be seein' ya next I'm in town."

@Wayfarer if you want.

OOC: Nah, I'm good. Ralph would just say bye.

Gilcrest felt pretty good as he trolled the boardwalk, asking after Brendan Connolly. Finally a man said he was at the old funeral parlor where there had been some sort of shooting and proceeded to tell the wrangler of the people that had been going in and out of the place, from the Marshal and the Doc, to the saloon singer, Happy with the news, Gilcrest followed the given directions to the building in question.

Before he reached the door he ran into a young fellow wearing a badge so he stopped him, figure he would know about Connolly. "'scuse me Deppity, I'm huntin' Brendan Connolly, I was told he might be here?"

@JulieS

• Love 1

Brendan was still working out the cricks in his neck from sleeping in a haystack as he headed for the funeral parlor. This time, he had his gun in his holster. After the events of the previous night, he wasn't sure that he was safe walking down the street. Granny Miggins might get up an impromptu lynching party, and if that happened, he knew he couldn't rely on the marshal to get there in time to stop things.

As he approached the building, he squinted into the sun. There was Charlie, talking to...Gilcrest? Brendan's eyes narrowed even further. What was the Evergreen doctor doing in town? The doctor was one of the few hands on the Evergreen who wasn't a gun hand, and was dedicated to saving lives instead of taking them.

There were times when Brendan wished he'd been able to take Billy back to the ranch for Gilcrest to doctor up, but he knew that it wouldn't have made a difference to the gut-shot young man. Billy would have died either way. At least the way it had happened, Billy hadn't suffered much.

At the thought of Billy, the day turned gloomy. It wasn't as though everything had been all sunshine and roses before. His fight with Caroline was still weighing on him, and combined with the weight of his new responsibility for Bridget, Gilcrest's appearance felt like a bad omen.

After stopping to think for a few seconds, Brendan took action. Whatever was going on here probably couldn't be avoided, so why not just bring it to a head sooner? He strode towards Charlie and Gilcrest, lifting a hand in greeting. 

"Hey, doc! Long time, no see!" He even managed a grin. After all, there was no reason to start things off by being onery to the doctor.

@Flip @JulieS

• Love 2

"Well now, jest the feller I was lookin' fer. Seems that yer wanted back to the ranch." Gilcrest said. Not many ever called him Doc, but Connolly always had, he a a few others. Mostly it was 'old timer' or his name. he eyed the deputy who would overhear what he had to say, but he had long since failed to care about things like that, besides, he wouldn't go into much detail.

"Look, I'm here ta bring ya back. There's somethin' brewin' and the old man is purdy riled up about somethin' 'er other. Hell, I pay 'em no mind mostly, but Granger said you'd draw more'n yer time if you don't come back." Adding, "Carson leaned into a bullet along the way, so we're some short handed. Yer choice. Maybe you best find something ta use fer a backbone, if you decide agin ridin' back. Like I said, up ta you."

@JulieS@Bailey

• Wow! 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Why had Gilcrest been looking for him? The foreboding feeling in Brendan's stomach grew as the Evergreen doctor informed him of why he'd been hunting him. 

There was no reason to go back to Evergreen after what had happened. Why was he wanted back there? "Yeah?" He put his hands on his hips. "Well..." Gilcrest wasn't done, so Brendan listened. He'd been about to tell the older man he'd just have to ride back alone, but realized that this might be just what he needed. He needed a job, and if he went back to the Evergreen, he'd have one.

But he also needed to be near Bridget; to be able to take care of her. He couldn't do that if he was way out at the Evergreen, and he sure as hell couldn't take Bridget out there with him. It would be like taking a rabbit to a dogfight.

His eyes narrowed as Gilcrest passed on Granger's threat, and he did feel his backbone shrinking. Granger wasn't a man he wanted to cross, especially with the new responsibility of caring for Bridget. How could he care for Bridget if he was dead? He couldn't.

He rubbed his hand over his face wearily. Why could nothing be easy? He wanted nothing more than to tell Gilcrest to tell Carson to go to hell, but that would be shooting himself in the foot, figuratively, or shooting himself, literally.

He decided to play nice with Gilcrest for now, since the man was only doing what he'd been told. So he spread his hands and shrugged. "Listen...I do need a job. But...the thing is, I'm sorta tied up here with...a girl." How much could he embellish this tale and get away with it? Not much, since Charlie was standing right there.

"She...she needs lookin' after," he finally mumbled, hoping that was ambiguous enough. If Gilcrest thought he'd gotten a girl pregnant, he might sympathize and back off. (It was just as likely that the older man would see it as precisely the reason why Brendan should go back to the ranch, but Brendan's brain hadn't gotten there yet.)

@Flip

Edited by Bailey (see edit history)
  • Love 2

"Well now, ain't thet a doozey. Mind tellin' me a bit more? You get this girl in trouble? You know what I mean?" Gilcrest asked. "Ain't sayin' there'd be much understanding back to the ranch, can't say that at all. But, what I can say is this, maybe they'd be more understandin', I mean dependin', was it more'n jest ya got her in a family way. Ya best be straight with me on whot the problem is. I'll carry the word back, but you best have a good reason, More'n whot ya said already. Which weren't much"

Gilcrest was not making threats, he was wanting something better than what he had already heard. "Now, 'spose you an' I step over here some, away from the Deppity, but not runnin' off. Then you'd have the chance to speak your mind." He looked to both men in turn. "Or, you can get yer horse and we'll ride on back."

@JulieS@Bailey

• Like 1

Not that Elias ever really fretted of much of anything, the idea of the Lost Lake hands trailing the wounded Carson back to the evergreen had him some concerned. That just might start a range war, and that was not what he wanted at the moment. If there was to be one, he wanted it on his terms, not theirs.

Of course, he could send riders out to ride the line that separated the two ranches. Yes, there was a fence, but no cattleman ever liked using the word. Once the two were under his control, Elias would have the wire down, and he would see to it that the farmer, Aurelian Redmond and his seed were taken care of, the land would provide good graze and additional water for his herd.

With his plans, things in the valley would change, as it would in the county. He would hold the power few men could wield like he could. He would put men in office favorable to him, all the way to the Governors office, and perhaps beyond. Yes, once he had Lost Lake, things would change, and change dramatically.

He stood, looking out his window at the mountains in the distance that sat on Lost Lake land. That was the future, his future.

• Wow! 1

Brendan, prepared for Gilcrest's disbelief or scorn and expecting conflict - or at the very least an argument - was taken aback by the older man's response. Gilcrest believed him? That was something he hadn't expected. A chance to tell his side of the story and maybe find the easy way out: a way that didn't involve leaving Bridget or putting a target on his back.

The thing was...he hadn't gotten Bridget in the family way. It was impossible, according to Crabbe. But the only people who knew that were Crabbe, who was dead, Caroline, and himself. He glanced at Charlie again and finally shrugged, then sidestepped down the boardwalk a ways. Not quite out of earshot, but not inviting an intrusion either.

"She ain't in the family way yet. I don't know that she can...be that way." He rubbed his chin, searching for words to explain everything that had happened. "Her guardian was gonna make me marry her, but he...had a...heart attack." The new phrase tripped him up, but he kept going.

"He's dead. Problem solved, right? Well, it ain't. This girl, she's an orphan and a cripple and she...she ain't right in the head. She needs someone to look out for her," he finished defensively, knowing how ridiculous his story sounded. But it also strengthened his resolve. He couldn't leave Bridget without knowing she would be taken care of.

@Flip @JulieS (if Gilcrest wants to see Bridget for himself, we could start a new thread and connect this one and Thy Will, just so we're not cluttering both threads with this plot line.)

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Hell's fire Brendan! What have ya got yerself mixed up in? A cripple girl what's tetched in the haid? Ya been pokin' her an' ya ain't sure ifin' she can produce a child? Fer Christs sake!!" What had he stepped into here? He was just supposed to bring the no account back to the Evergreen or not. Now the boy says he's responsible for this unfortunate young woman.

"Look, mebee I oughtta see this here girl 'o youren. That way I kin be sure 'o what ya say and when I deliver the message they won't set the hounds on ya. Otherwise yer liable ta be as full holes as a cabbage leaf after a hail storm, by God!"

Now, he could not be sure what would happen if he rode back to the Evergreen without Connolly with his story, even if he did see the girl in question, but it would be his best chance for survival, and why they wanted him back was a mystery. But then, that too was none of his concern. If they wanted Connolly, they wanted him.

"So, what about you takin' me ta see this here cripple girl?" Gilcrest asked, squinting at the taller man, but dead serious.

@Bailey@JulieS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Elias walked out of the house and straight to the bunk house where he caught up with Granger. "And Gilcrest? Where's he at?" Was the question,

"Town, looking to bring back Brendan Connolly, or know the reason why."  The foreman replied.

"Connolly? What the hell for?" After the mans last fiasco Elias was not sure what could be a reason to bring him back, he was gone, and good riddance so far as Elias was concerned.

"Need the gun, what with us not bein' sure about Lost Lakes riders following a blood trail back here. I got a feelin' that Carson took as much care as he could not to leave one, but not a lot he could do about hoof prints." Granger sort of shook his head and added, "Maybe they find it, maybe they don't, Carson's canny. when it comes to something like that."

"How's he doing?" Was the next quire from the ranch owner.

"Fair, weak, but doing as well as can be expected with the loss of blood and all. reckon the lost lake man got off the first shot, Carson bedded him down alright, bet my spurs on it!" Granger affirmed.

"Well, you see to it he gets the best care we can give him til Gilcrest gets back one way or the other. Oh, and what plans do you have for Connolly should he come back?"

"Hang him when we don't need him no more. Wouldn't make a pimple on Carson's ass!"

Posted (edited)

It was not that they needed Connolly all that badly, he would just be another body. There was real ranch work to be done, herds to be moved from pasture to pasture. Water holes to be mucked out, stalls to be cleaned, and banding was coming up  for the yearling calves. A lot of work that needed doing by the Steelgrave riders, and maybe a chance for him to redeem himself with the foreman and the owner.

Granger had a dislike for Connolly, but then he never let that get in the way of day to day chores, nor any trouble that might come their way. He' had made mistakes, but not mistakes that could not be rectified and made up for. He was willing to allow for that. But hanging him as still an option with the grizzled foreman. There was a fight coming, he recognized that without being told, and Connolly was another gun.

Now Elias actually could care less one way or the other about the fate of Connolly, or any other man on the ranch. He cared about the herds and the money they generated when they were driven to market. He care about having enough riders to a) protect the ranch during a cattle drive, and b) having enough men to handle the drive.

The ride back to the Evergreen was uneventful, other than thinking about the situation young Connolly had worked himself into with the crippled girl. How to tell it was probably the most important thing to fill his thoughts. And that was what Gilcrest liked about riding alone, time to think on things, in this case, how to present the tale of what he'd seen at the old funeral parlor, not that he could understand the need for a new one. 

In a way, he almost felt sorry for Connolly and the future he was to have caring for the girl with a child's where with all about her. It was clear from what he saw, she wouldn't survive too long on her own, so there would need to be someone to care for her, and if that was Connolly's lot, then God bless him for it. It would be a job of work caring for a one legged, feeble minded girl on his best day.

Gilcrest had never married, but he had known many a woman, saloon girl and otherwise. He had had those thoughts of marriage, and might well have roped in one of those women, but the war had gotten in his way the one time he was serious about a woman. These were the thoughts he didn't care for, but they came uninvited. She was with child when he was called to fight, a child he had never known. She was gone when he got back home to Tallulah Falls, Georgia and the child that would have been his with her. That he regretted to that very day.

He turned into the trail to the ranch proper, though he was already on Evergreen land.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

"What the sam hell are you talking about, Doc?" Granger demanded.

"Hold on Granger, let the man explain himself." Elias intervened.

"Okay, well, here's how it shakes out. Connolly seems ta have had some relations with this here poor one legged girl who's some tetched in the head as well." He began, but more indepth. "So there's this other fella, Crabbe, who was her guardian and I reckon the man croaked of heart failure, 'cept he had a derringer  what went off at the same time, an' well, some figger'd Connolly shot him, but that was all cleared up. He didn't. So now Connolly said he'd care for the girl, but weren't about ta marry her, which got folks in an uproar, but he said he'd do the carein' fer her anyway."

"And just how will he be able to do this caring for her?" Elias wanted to know.

"Hell if I know Mister Steelgrave, it was just what he said. I told him he was needed back here, but he weren't willin' ta come back at the time, an' I got tired of the dimwit girl screamin' and tryin' ta jump outta the winda. They sent me fer the town saw bones so I took that as my chance ta ride on back an' tell ya what I learn't"  Gilcrest said.

"So now what, Boss?" Granger asked. "Send somebody in and kill him?"

"Kill him?" Elias laughed at the suggestion, "Sounds to me like Mister Connolly has himself in his own private hell. If he comes back, he comes back, if not, well good luck to him, especially if she turns up with child." Then all three laughed, because that was a real possibility, considering what 'Doc' Gilcrest had relayed to them. Relations sometimes had real consequences in the form of a child. And there would be no choice in the matter if that happened. 

image.jpeg.067de0167b014eb765b736afc7bbc0be.jpegimage.jpeg.9d9b13af77eb8fb8a523f7a211313532.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Now," Elias began, "I want four men out watching for anyone snoopin' around the fence line. Be glad when we can take it down, but I want men that'll do what needs doing should any of the Lost Lake crew come hunting trouble."

"Okay, Boss. You want 'em shot?" Granger asked.

"You damn right! What? Did you figure I'd invite them in for drinks? They come it won't be hat in hand, but we don't start it, or at least there's no one to say one way or the other about it. Everyone knows there's bad blood between them and us, so it won't come as no surprise if there's shooting trouble."

"No sir, they won't." Granger agreed. "Nobody would say one way or the other, but I'll have the boys let 'em go fer their iron first, or at least move that way. I've just the men for the job. Wish Carson was up and about, he'd enjoy this."

"The sooner we have them make the first hostile move, the sooner we take the place, and, I ain't for letting any of them live. Get your men." Elias ordered.

"Yes sir." Granger replied and jogged to his horse to ride out and get the men he had in mind.

Elias looked after him. It was time, the fact was he had waited far to long to get this started and clean out Thornton's along their hands, it was just too bad that Shade Thornton would not be there to collect his lead. And Elias planned to be there when the end came for them.

image.jpeg.d01d250eafe82b91118b25d9e6b13067.jpeg

• Wow! 1

Four good men was all he needed, and Granger knew just the men for the job. Men that would kill anyone that threatened the ranch in any way, shape, or form. Of course, that went doe any number of of the Evergreen hands, the men he wanted would be the worst, and most dangerous of the hands Elias Steelgrave employed

The first one he ran on to was the stocky built Dutch, the only name they knew him by, but that was enough. He rode up next to the man, "Dutch, Mister Steelgrave has a job for you."

Dutch looked to him, knowing if the old man wanted him for a job it wouldn't be nurse maiding no cows. "Sure Granger, what's he got in mind?"

"Might be some Lost Lake men trailing Carson, they need to be stopped." It was quick and blunt.

"Right up my alley, Granger. Start now?" Dutch asked.

"I'll Get Treach, Watts, and Deckerd. Mister Steelgrave wants you boys to be sure they start it." 

"Easy as pie. If you want I'll go for 'em, know right where they are and well just head that way." Dutch offered with a grin that was far from friendly.

"Sure Dutch, go ahead. Anything happens, you hightail it back here." Granger  replied to which Dutch nodded and spurred his horse.

image.jpeg.b7cd3200e8f55953b7656e271bc3d4ec.jpegimage.jpeg.64f279f102f08fea63a15d5cd2c300c9.jpegimage.jpeg.603dfdc4e080d204fd329382a8dd2186.jpegimage.jpeg.9a4364b3846d4bf438de917259dbc097.jpeg

Dutch                                      Treach                             Watts                       Deckerd

image.jpeg.d01d250eafe82b91118b25d9e6b13067.jpeg

• Wow! 1