Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

Not to Worry

"But..."  Frowning, Weedy looked up at the woman, knowing the game she was playing...trying to guilt him into doing the 'right' thing.  "But what if she can't come back until I find her?"  Then he corrected, "We find her.  Miss Arabella knows where she is...Miss Caroline, too, and we don't have much time."

He was trying to stress the urgency of the situation, even Miz Jemima could understand that, right? 

"We can find them, I know it."  But, as much as he wanted to defy the woman, he was better mannered than that, so all he could do was try to persuade her.  "You can come with us, if you are so worried..."

Although he was hoping she'd say no and just let him and Arabella go...he was pretty sure she'd just slow them down.

@Javia

"But..."  Frowning, Weedy looked up at the woman, knowing the game she was playing...trying to guilt him into doing the 'right' thing.  "But what if she can't come back until I find her?"  Then he corrected, "We find her.  Miss Arabella knows where she is...Miss Caroline, too, and we don't have much time."

"No, you've got to stay put." she ordered him now.

"We can find them, I know it."  But, as much as he wanted to defy the woman, he was better mannered than that, so all he could do was try to persuade her.  "You can come with us, if you are so worried..."

"I'm not worried, there's a cavalry detachment on their way to pick them up from where they're stranded. It's miles away so they'll take 'em back to the Fort first to stay the night and then come home tomorrow. So you going out getting yourself lost won't help anyone. The Cavalry'll just have to go out again and fetch you home instead: and boy, you'll look silly then, and poor Miss Chappel'll be all worried about you."

This all wasn't a total lie, just more of a half truth, or maybe quarter truth. Jemima wasn't used to lying, she hoped she was making a good job of it. The truth of the matter, as told by Hector, who had just telegraphed a report to General Gibbon's headquarters and was usually more tight lipped about such things, was that Colonel MacKenzie had received a report of two or more white women captured by a band of Arapahoe and had sent out a column under Captain Barlow to reconnoitre. The scene she had described to Weedy was just the best possible outcome. 

Her main aim now was just to keep him safe.

"But I saw them all tied up!" Arabella objected and Jemima threw her a glance that could have killed. At last the penny dropped in 'the seeress' dull brain. "Oh, I guess that was just a semaphore" 

"That's right, just a metaphor" Jemima nodded, keeping an eye on the still shifty looking Weedy: if she had to catch him and drag him back by his ear she would, but she would do it with love.

She looked at him kindly. "I know your worried, but I'm going to stay with you tonight, either here or at your place, whichever you want, and my brother Hector's going to bring us any news as soon as he gets it, even if it's in the middle of the night. Porter, will you swear to me you won't go and try and rescue Addy, or do I have to sit on you all night?"

Arabella, who probably invented the phrase 'sleep over' put up her hand "Oooh, can I stop over too?! I wanna hear Hector's news in the middle of the night as well, I'm worried about Caroline!" Although she was truly worried, she was slightly enjoying all the drama too, Jemima suspected.

@Bongo

Heaving a big sigh that was worthy of Miss Arabella Mudd herself, Weedy shrugged, then nodded.  "All right."  He hated just sitting around and not doing anything, but he reckoned that if the US Cavalry was on it, there wasn't much better he could do.

"I guess I'll stay here with you, Ma'am, if it's all right?  Buster gets scared when Miz Addy is gone too long."  As if it wasn't common knowledge that the cat could make himself at home at any of a dozen places in town, including the current location!  "But I don't think I'll sleep anyway, until I know she and Miss Caroline are safe."

Probably not until they were home and he could see for himself...and, as much as he'd mostly been on his own most of his life, now that he was confronted with Miz Addy not being there, he felt scared and lonely.

@Javia

"I guess I'll stay here with you, Ma'am, if it's all right?  Buster gets scared when Miz Addy is gone too long."  As if it wasn't common knowledge that the cat could make himself at home at any of a dozen places in town, including the current location!

Jemima wondered if it wasn't just Buster who got scared at being alone, but just said "Yeah, good idea. We'll stay here" and gave him one of her rare smiles. 

"But I don't think I'll sleep anyway, until I know she and Miss Caroline are safe."

Jemima agreed "We'll just stay up in our clothes. We might doze off on the sofa if we're lucky."

"Oh, I don't need to get my nightie, then?" queried Arabella, slightly disappointed at missing out on the innocent fun of all sleeping together. It was going to be a dreary night. She had an idea:

"Let's play some games! How about 'doctors and nurses' or... or Jemima's the strict school marm' and me and porter are the naughty children and she has to..."

"NO!" countered Jemima "No play acting games!" she remembered how the last one had ended up. Arabella sighed resignedly. "Oh well, how about a game of 'who'd you like to kiss'?" 

Jemima looked highly suspicious but somewhat intrigued. "How's that go?" she asked, tentatively.

"Well, we go through all the people we know in town, kinda alphabet order, three at a time, and you have to pick which one you'd kiss if you had to: like you'd be shot if you didn't kiss one of 'em." Arabella explained. It sounded very much like she'd just made this game up.

Jemima frowned and counted out three on her fingers, "So like... Alistair Fang, Amos Conroy and Aurelian Redmond?" "Uh-huh!" confirmed the other girl, although she did wonder who the dickens this Allister Fang feller was. Jemima went an interesting shade of crimson and muttered "Mr Redmond" which brought forth a whoop of delight from Arabella "Whoooo! Didn't take you too long to make that choice, Wiggy!!" She chuckled gleefully and then turned to poor Weedy.

2-2-2.gif

"Now, your turn, 'who'd ya like to kiss' out of... urm... Anæsthesia Orr, Bridget Monahan, and, oh I forgot, I'm 'A' ain't I? So: 'who'd ya like to kiss' outta Anæsthesia Orr, Bridget Monahan, and me?!" she asked the unfortunate lad, matter-of-factly.

@Bongo

Kiss?  Really?  Heck no!  Girls!

The last thing that Weedy ever wanted to do was to ever kiss a girl!  And since he was never getting married, that wasn't a problem!

But, here they were, yammering about kissing...

"Me?" 

Suddenly, the boy snatched up a very sleepy and startled one-eyed ginger tom and planted a wet kiss on his nose before receiving a swat that caused him to drop the cat, who dashed off, clearly not interested in the game!

"Buster!  We're at the 'B''s, right?"  Maybe he'd just go home with the cat for the night?

@Javia

"Me?" 

"Yep. come on!" cajoled Arabella "Y'gotta pick one out of the As or Bs... on pain of death, remember!" But Weedy was too sneaky for her, and planted a smacker on poor Buster instead, who had just been having a nice dream about that time he got that gopher.

"Buster!  We're at the 'B''s, right?"  Maybe he'd just go home with the cat for the night?

"He got you there." commented Jemima approvingly, her face still glowing from her admission about Mr Redmond. 

"Hey, he's a boy, not a girl!" objected Arabella, to which Jemima tartly replied "Yeah, and who ever heard of a boy wanting to kiss a boy or a girl wanting to kiss a girl?" which put her in her place. Arabella shrugged.

"Oh well, I know it's just because he's too shy to admit it's me he wants to kiss!" Arabella laughed "Ain't that right, Porter?" she asked and pulled the most ridiculous face she could, crossing her eyes and puckering out her lips. 

Jemima just shook her head. 

"All right, let's play 'who's you favourite outlaw?'" the Mudd girl suggested next.

@Bongo

Well, there was yet more proof that he was never going to get married!  Girls were just plain nuts...and boring!

"How do you have a favorite outlaw?" he asked, genuinely puzzled.  After all, outlaws were bad men, so how could you have a favorite?

"Um...I think I need to make sure the house is locked up, and check the barn, too.  The horses gotta be fed."  Maybe he could just stay at the jail with Marshal Guyer?  Or ride Arabesque out to the Redmond place...and never tell Mr. Redmond about what had been said here!

@Javia

"How do you have a favorite outlaw?" he asked, genuinely puzzled.  After all, outlaws were bad men, so how could you have a favorite?

Arabella peered at Weedy: a boy that wasn't interested in outlaws?! I mean, she'd heard that he'd been grabbed by and was in danger of being killed by bank robbers once, but come on! Boys: Outlaws - it was like girls were obsessed with new dresses and pink ribbons. Then she realised what he must mean:

"Oh yeah, I know it's hard to choose! There's so many great ones out there! Frank James, Jesse James, Dyer Howe, Frank 'n' Cole Younger, Billy Barnes, oh no, he just got hunged" she said enthusiastically.  

"My favourite's the noted road agent Thomas Gage Love: 'The Gentleman Killer'. I admit, he has got a habit of gunning down innocent men and wimmin in cold blood, but you got to set that against his proven record on jobs against railroads, banks AND stagecoaches."

"I mean, when it comes to armed robbery, that boy just can't be beat! And anyhow, they reckon the worst atrocities of his 'Hole in the Face Gang' was done by this feller in the gang called 'English Fred' and here's the thing..." she leaned forward and started to speak in a conspiratorial whisper: despite herself, Jemima leaned forward, too. 

"... ain't it a coincidence that just when Love kicked this English feller out o' his gang, a certain mysterious Englishman happened to appear in Kalispell? Yep, I reckon the vicious English Fred is actually our very own... Mr James Vaughn!" She sat back, as if to say 'what d'ya think of THAT?'

"Um...I think I need to make sure the house is locked up, and check the barn, too.  The horses gotta be fed."  Maybe he could just stay at the jail with Marshal Guyer?  Or ride Arabesque out to the Redmond place...and never tell Mr. Redmond about what had been said here!

"Ooooh, I'll come, too!" shouted Arabella jumping up. Jemima jumped up too, and pushed Arabella back down "Sit down you!" she said and then looked at Weedy. "I'll come and help." she said significantly. 

As for Arabella, she commanded "You sit here in case Hector comes. And sit on your hands."

021012-jenny-tomasin-british-actress.jpg

@Bongo

"Hard to choose?"  Weedy still didn't get it, even after Arabella went on about how glorious robbing stages, trains and people was.  "So...it's all right for someone to kill Miz Addy?  Or Miz Emeline?  Or even Marshal Guyer?"  Not to mention the bank teller who had been killed during the robbery, or the fact that he and Wyatt might have died.

And that they had been grabbed and nearly killed...that was supposed to make him like men who terrorized and killed innocent people?  He surely didn't understand!

Then Miz Jemima said she was coming to help him close up the barn and house, and that kinda ruined his plan of escape, but there was nothing to be done for it.  At least he wasn't going to have to deal with Arabella for a bit.

"What's so good about outlaws?" he grumbled as they crossed the yard, Buster running ahead of them.  "They kill people and take things that aren't theirs, that's nothing to like."  'Hard work and honesty', that was what Miz Addy said you needed!

@Javia

"Hard to choose?"  Weedy still didn't get it, even after Arabella went on about how glorious robbing stages, trains and people was.  "So...it's all right for someone to kill Miz Addy?  Or Miz Emeline?  Or even Marshal Guyer?"  Not to mention the bank teller who had been killed during the robbery, or the fact that he and Wyatt might have died.

Arabella was truly taken aback, it had never occurred to her that her interest in famous Outlaws would actually upset anyone like that. It was akin, in her mind, to an interest in famous pirates or famous Indian Chiefs or famous actresses or something. "Oh... I'm sorry." she said with a shocked look on her face and glanced up at Jemima for some sort of reassurance. She didn't get it: the other girl just narrowed her eyes and shook her head at her, as if to say 'now look what you've done!'.

Weedy's upset was not assuaged though.

"What's so good about outlaws?" he grumbled as they crossed the yard, Buster running ahead of them.  

"Nothing." agreed Jemima.

"They kill people and take things that aren't theirs, that's nothing to like."

"I know." agreed Jemima. "Don't take any notice of Arabella, when she was born God forgot to give her a brain. By the time He realised His mistake, they'd already filled up her head with sawdust, so He gave her a extra big heart instead. Now she's realised that she's upset you she'll be fallin' over herself all night apologising and trying to make it up to you: it's going to be unbearable!" 

They walked to the stables where the horses were kept. 

Jemima looked all about "All right, Porter, you're the expert here: tell me what to do to help." 

@Bongo