Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Maybe, fer this special occasion," Addy suggested, "we can try a little'a each?  That way, we can get a taste'a everything, so next time, we know what our favorite is."  It was a plan that appealed to her, so she didn't have to decide which she wanted!   "Never turn down help," she declared, "but seems ta me yer th' one needs help brushin' them horses down."  She glanced at Weedy and Josh, considering for a moment if it was safe to let the boy go up into the loft, but then, his father could stop him, and, after all, he was a Chappel!  He'd grown up around horses, and was of hardy stock!   With them all working together, it wouldn't take too long to get the horses settled, and then they could be on the way to treats!   @MD
    • "We'll get on."  Addy was determined, and once she grabbed hold of the crude rope halter, she had control of the animal.  "Here..."  Cupping her hands, she made a step for Caroline, to give her a boost up.  "Just grab his mane."   TBC   @Wayfarer                    
    • Mature Content: Doubt it With: Tyrell Garret Thornton Location: Add specific location information here. When: Mid-July 1876 Time of Day: Encompasses a couple of days     Place holder
    • Anæsthesia wasn't exactly convinced by all these homilies about falling out of trees, breaking arms, and sleeping in the mud: she smiled politely, if a little tightly. Truth to tell, she felt a little bit 'got at' - the snobby girl was getting a taste of her own medicine in the form of the inverted-snobbery of these rough frontier folk.    She suddenly blurted, rather defensively "I have learned to shoot a gun!"   "I have a 1858 model Lefaucheux double action revolver, and really am rather a good shot with it." she said proudly. Now maybe they'd stop telling her that she needed to fall out of a tree to be able to claim that her life had any meaning.    Of course, the hypocrisy was that she was quite willing to tell others what they should be doing with their lives: like learning to read.      @Bongo @MD
    • Mr McVey was chattering away as Arabella grabbed her non-packable items: two dresses, spare bonnet, basket and three large round circles made of bamboo. These were very hard to carry and to manoeuvre through the doorway.    "You and I disagree on a number of things, yet, we agree on others. Mister Reeve is certainly one to keep an eye on. And I would say, he is dangerous in another way, to the political atmosphere in Kalispell. He is an odd fellow, yet, so is Mister Pettigrew. Perhaps the goal of him running is to slit the vote? I'm not exactly confident on that assumption."   "Now don't you be mean about Mr Pettigrew, Mr McVey, he's been right nice to me: teachin' me all about how to speak proper and act like a lady." she objected. Pettigrew had taught her something else, too, something more important than those surface embellishments, something at her very core.    He hoisted the trunk that was surprising lighter than he would have expected. "As time moves on, we'll have a better idea of Pettigrew's purpose in the grand scheme of the elections this fall." He added, then, "I'm following you, Arabella."   "Hold on, I'm all tangled up!" she yelped, the three bamboo circles seemed to have minds of their own and were doing their darndest to stop her getting through the doorway. "I'm takin' these hoops with me, in case crinolines come back in!" she informed him.    Eventually she got herself through the door and down the stairs, with a shout of "I'm goin' now, I'll be back at seven!" at Caroline's door. When the two of them reached the bar, there was a ragged cheer from some of the rounders who were regulars "Don't worry, I'll be back at seven, boys!" she assured them.   "Oh damn!" one of them joked.    "You movin' in with him?!" another joshed. Arabella laughed and didn't say yes and didn't say no: well, Phin had said he didn't care if people talked!   @Flip
Weedy

Not to Worry

Sniffling a bit and wiping his nose on his sleeve, Weedy nodded, taking Josh's hand as they went back into the kitchen.   Having his little cousin here gave him a chore, after all, he was so much older at ten, and had to be strong for the younger kid. 

"There's tater pie, too," Weedy muttered.  "Just, Miz Addy is late getting home."  He shot Arabella a look, challenging her to keep her mouth shut!  "We're going to play pirates later, aren't we, Arabella?  Maybe we should set the table for supper."

Not that he particularly cared about food right now, and he was hoping that Uncle Isiah and he could set out to find Addy themselves, but he wanted to keep Josh occupied.  "Arabella said we can tie her up and tickle her, that sounds like fun, doesn't it?"

@Javia

@MD

• Liked your post, Pard! 1
  • Made Me Laugh! 1

Posted (edited)

"There's tater pie, too," Weedy muttered. "Just, Miz Addy is late getting home."  He shot Arabella a look, challenging her to keep her mouth shut!  "We're going to play pirates later, aren't we, Arabella? Maybe we should set the table for supper."

Arabella shut the oven door, she was keeping an eye on that pie and hoping against hope that the newcomers might leave before it was divied up! Weedy was leading an even smaller boy in and, well, her heart just melted: he was just so like her poor little brother Johnny, she could almost imagine that he'd popped down from Heaven to visit with her in this hour of peril.

"Why sure we are Porter, and who is this young gentleman, pray tell?" she asked, crouching down a little to greet him, though at 5'3" she hardly towered over them.

"Arabella said we can tie her up and tickle her, that sounds like fun, doesn't it?"

"It ain't fun for me, boys!" she countered, trying to make it sound even more appealing "You don't know what a lady goes through when she has her bare feet tickled." she said coyly "But I put up with it because it adds vermicelli-tude to the game - that means it makes it seem more realistic - y'know them pirates was always devisin' fiendish tortures to make folks tell 'em where their buried treasure was hid."  she informed them in hushed tones, adding an arcane allure to the make-believe game.

article-2419559-1BC8AD73000005DC-943_634

@MD @Bongo

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Liked your post, Pard! 1

Posted (edited)

“Ms. Wigfall, with all due respect I have no desire for a stiff drink, but I do have a desire to go out and help the Calvary rescue my sister.” He spoke with urgency as he continued. “Please, don’t waste a moment with any other information you may have on her situation." 

Jemima nodded and, in her flat nasal voice, told what she knew as succinctly and as swiftly as possible.

"Well, all right. Seems the stage got hit sometime late this morning on the road to Helena. Friend of my brother called Jake Lutz found it, Addy's shotgun feller and two passengers killed and mutilated, Addy and Miss Mundee from the saloon missing..." she frowned at the thought of the beautiful and glamourous singer, who was everything that she was not "... she ain't a fit person for you to know!" she couldn't help informing the handsome Mr. Chappel "Anyway, a party went out from the Fort this afternoon under Captain Barlow: if anyone can find them, he can, he's an experienced man and he's got Indian scouts and everything."

She then pointedly added another fact. 

"Jake wanted to go with them but they wouldn't allow it: in fact they threatened to throw him in the stockade if he tried to follow the Troop, they said civilians just got in the way of Army operations." This was clearly aimed at Isiah's insistence on going along and helping. However she narrowed her piggy little back eyes at the restless and rugged looking widower.

"But, Mr Chappel, I don't think something like that would stop a man like you from trying to find his sister. I think I know the place where the attack must've happened from what Hector said, it'd take hours for you to find it in the dark." for indeed, the Sun was now setting in the Western sky "Sir, I've lived here all my life: I know a short cut through the pass, I can ride and I know how to use a gun: I can guide you there." she said simply. 

@MD

• Like 1

Josh listened as Weedy explained to him that there was even more food and that the reason for all this ruckus was that his Aunt Addy was late getting back.  At 5 years old Josh didn't catch that cutting eye that Weedy gave Arabella daring her to say something more about Addy.  So he wasn't concerned at all.  Addy'd be back! He just tore off another piece of ham and listened as they talked about the game they'd get to play.  Pirates! That sounded fun.  His eyes widened as he pulled his knees underneath him to help him sit up taller in his chair.

"There's treasure?!" Now that sounded like something darn amazin'! And getting to hold Arabella hostage and tickle her 'til she told 'em where the treasure was, this was going to be great!  Josh had heard about pirates before... "My grandpappy told me 'bout a pirate named Black Beard.  Ya'll heard of him before?"  Now that he'd asked them if they heard of him, he realized he didn't much remember the story his pappy had told him so he didn't know if he could tell them about it or not.  Maybe he could just make somethin' up!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Josh could feel himself nearly getting sick to his stomach as he listened to the scene that had been conveyed to Ms. Jemima.  Addy and a Miss Mundee both taken and not a part of the massacre, but what was happening to them?  What were those Indian men doing?  The thoughts repulsed him and he hoped that wild imaginative thoughts that were playing in his mind wasn't what was playing out for his sister.  If those Indians so much as laid a finger on her!  His blood was boiling.  Jemima was exactly right, there was no way that he was staying back here and just waiting.  He turned and rushed towards the living room where he'd  been sleeping and where he'd kept his belongings. He spoke in a rush...and that because he was in one.

"There ain't no way I can take you with me Ms. Jemima.  I need you here with those youngin's." He spoke over his shoulder as he got to his sleeping quarters and pulled out his revolver and starting checking it for ammunition.  As he did this he looked up at the woman. "You think you can give me directions on how ta get there?" He knew nothing about the area.  It was probably stupid on his part to go at it alone, but he knew he'd find a way.  He'd say extra prayers tonight, pray to God, whom he was angry with right now for many a reasons, to help him find his way and for Jemima to give him clear enough instructions to at least get headed in the right direction. 

@Javia; @Bongo

• Love 1

"There's treasure?!" Now that sounded like something darn amazin'! 

"Well, no, course there ain't no real treasure!" Arabella frowned. She jerked a thumb at Josh and looked at Weedy, "How old's he?" she asked. 

"My grandpappy told me 'bout a pirate named Black Beard.  Ya'll heard of him before?"  

"Oh sure!" Arabella waved her hand dismissively "Everybody knows him, he's the feller as used to set his own beard alight to scarify his enemies. Course my Pa did that once, too, but that was more by way of an accident. Had to throw a whole potty full of... well a whole potty at him to put it out or the whole shack'd 've gone up." she painted a vivid picture of life in the chaotic Mudd household before she was orphaned. 

Arabella leaned forward in her chair and waved the two boys in to her, conspiratorially, her eyes round, her voice low, as she told them: "Now, Blackbeard was bad, but did you two ever hear of... Purple Beard?!!!" She looked around, to make sure no censoring ears heard her and stopped her polluting young minds with tales of this notorious buccaneer of the West Indies. 

Before she could begin to tell them about the atrocities committed by her fictional Torturer of the Tortugas Jemima came stomping in with Isiah, her face even more unhappy, if not outright angry, than ever. She had offered to help the man find his sister but had been sent away with a flea in her ear. No doubt if she'd been pretty like Caroline Mundee or Anaesthesia Orr, he would have accepted her offer and taken her along. Well, he could go and get lost on the prairie in the dark as far as she was concerned: Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. 

• Made Me Laugh! 1

"Purple?"  Weedy frowned, not sure that he believed that for a minute, nor that people set their own faces on fire, that didn't make any sense, but this was just tall-tale-telling anyway, right?  So the taller the tale, the better!  "Didn't he have birds in his..."

But then the adults came back in, and he looked at his Uncle.  Jemima seemed upset, but then, weren't they all? 

"Are you going to help Miz Addy?" he asked, although, even he knew the folly of going out this late.  "Maybe we should wait here?"  He could feel his heart starting to race in his chest.  "Just stay and let the cavalry bring her?"

His Ma, Jay, now Miz Addy...he didn't want to lose Uncle Isiah, too.

@MD

@Javia

• Love 1

Josh was on the edge of his seat as Arabella started telling them about Purple Beard.  Being so young his imagination was about as wild as it came and so young that his imagination could almost seem like real world stuff to him!  He could already see Purple Beard and Black Beard in a battle, and Josh wanted ta know all about it!!  He couldn't hide the twinge of disappointment he felt when Arabella told him there really wasn't no treasure.

But then his Pa and Jemima came storming back into the kitchen and Jemima was mad!  

Isiah followed Jemima back into the kitchen, walking and putting his gun belt into place around his waist at the same time.  What had happened?  Everything was just fine, Jemima was giving him all sorts of information, being a mighty big help ta him and then storming off angry???  Just like a woman!

"What's tha matter?!" Isiah asked as he glanced to Weedy and motioned for him to come towards him.  "There ain't no place out there for you. You need to stay back here, mind these children and let me go out and handle these Indian matters!  Now, please Ms. Jemima, some directions!" He demanded, feeling angry now for many reasons.  He knew he was behind the pack, that the Calvary was already headed towards her, to rescue her, but there won't no way he'd just sit back here.  Little did he know he was many many hours behind them and there was no way he'd catch up.

@Bongo @Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

"What's tha matter?!" Isiah asked as he glanced to Weedy and motioned for him to come towards him.  "There ain't no place out there for you. You need to stay back here, mind these children and let me go out and handle these Indian matters!  Now, please Ms. Jemima, some directions!" 

Arabella watched Mr Chappel get quite irate with Jemima, and she could guess why: her friend was always saying an doing the wrong thing with men, especially handsome ones. As for Addy's brother, well, he clearly wanted to be 'doing something', if only to assuage his manly pride. 

"Oh, just tell him!" she encouraged the frowsy girl.

"All right. well, a mile south of the muddy creek there's a draw and right of the sward there there's a tree with a bent branch and if you follow the direction the way that branch is pointing for half a mile there's this other tree that looks a bit like an old bent crooked man. Three yards to the left there's a big bush that conceals a narrow pass. You follow that and it comes out in the trees near the place where I reckon the savages must've hit the stage." she droned on in her monotonous voice. 

Arabella caught Isiah's eye "Well that's as clear as mud. I reckon she'd better go and you stay here." she opined, and not completely in jest. 

@Bongo @MD

Weedy's nose wrinkled up at his uncle's admonition, and the blunt delivery.  The man surely wouldn't be talking to him like that if he'd been older...but heck, he was almost eleven!  Not only that, but he and Miss Addy had been taking care of each other for a long time before Isiah showed up, and he took care of the horses when she was gone...Sure, he was only ten, but he was a man!

Still, he was a kid, and he had no choice but to do what grown-ups told him to do, even if it did rankle his hide.  But at least Uncle Isiah had given him the role of looking after the ladies, like a real man would do, even though the 'ladies' in question lived somewhere else and were the ones helping him to cope!

"Yes, sir," he muttered, but then he perked up at the convoluted directions that were given.  "Hey!  I know that tree!"

@MD

@Javia

• Thanks 1

Isiah waited with expectation as Jemima finally started to give him the directions he so desperately needed to at least try and find the search party that was out there finding his sister.  At first she had him hook, line, sinker, but then the more she went on he realized just what she was doing and it did make him mad!  He was about to speak the very words that Arabella said as he caught her eye.  

Arabella caught Isiah's eye "Well that's as clear as mud. I reckon she'd better go and you stay here." she opined, and not completely in jest. 

"You got that right." Isaiah muttered as he grabbed a chair from the kitchen table and pulled it out, slinking down into it, feeling a bit defeated, worried, angry....everything all at once.  He pat the seat for Weedy to come sit back down.  He won't going nowhere.  At least not at the moment. He realized he'd upset Jemima and that was not his intention. 

"Ms. Jemima, I didn't mean to speak so harshly.  I just want to find her.  And I don't want to go dragging anyone else out there that don't have ta be.  I've seen my fair share of blood shed and gore ..." because of the war... "and it ain't something you can un-see.  I don't want no one to have to through that, that don't have to."  Then quickly he realized that perhaps what he had said could elude that there may be blood shed and gore to be seen at the hands of Addy and anyone else that had been with her. "Not that I'm expectin' there ta be any for those that are rescued....but I do hate ta see what's going to happen to those Indians!" Because he knew had he been there and got his hands on any of those Indians that had gotten a hold of Addy .... well it wouldn't be pretty!

Isiah had no appetite but he could tell everyone was hungry. "Why don't ya'll eat and then maybe Weedy and I, and whoever else wants, can go into town and see if anyone there's gotten any news?" 

@Bongo @Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Ms. Jemima, I didn't mean to speak so harshly.  I just want to find her.  And I don't want to go dragging anyone else out there that don't have ta be.  I've seen my fair share of blood shed and gore ..." because of the war... "and it ain't something you can un-see.  I don't want no one to have to through that, that don't have to."

Arabella gave a little cough, the boys were still present during this gloomy monolog.

Then quickly he realized that perhaps what he had said could elude that there may be blood shed and gore to be seen at the hands of Addy and anyone else that had been with her. "Not that I'm expectin' there ta be any for those that are rescued....but I do hate ta see what's going to happen to those Indians!" Because he knew had he been there and got his hands on any of those Indians that had gotten a hold of Addy .... well it wouldn't be pretty!

"Wonder how that pie's doing?" asked Arabella, half-heartedly trying to change the subject. Isiah was clearly worried, Jemima was in a mood, the boys were probably worried, too. Arabella was certainly worried about Caroline, even more so now after Mr Chappel's speech: before then she had almost been able to pretend to herself it wasn't happening, that they were all just here for some fun sleepover. Now she sat with her chin on her steepled fingers, as depressed as everybody else. 

Isiah had no appetite but he could tell everyone was hungry. "Why don't ya'll eat and then maybe Weedy and I, and whoever else wants, can go into town and see if anyone there's gotten any news?" 

Jemima was about to point out that there was no point in doing that, her brother would come with news as soon as there was any, but, well, why deny the man the salve to his conscience? She nodded in sombre agreement instead. She opened her mouth to offer to take Isiah to the telegraph office, but remembering her previous rejection, closed it shut again, so that she resembled big ugly goldfish, opening and closing its mouth as it swam around its bowl.

@Bongo @MD

While Weedy was disappointed that no one had taken him up on his alleged knowledge of the area and Jemima's Southern directions, he was relieved that Uncle Isiah was staying here.  Well, he'd be even happier knowing Uncle Isiah was going after Miz Addy, but he realized it was too late now, and there was nothing to be done for that.  They'd have to rely on Marshal Guyer and the cavalry.

"It's going to be all right, Miz Addy'll give them enough trouble that they'll just let her go!"  He laughed a little, then hugged Isiah before hopping out of the chair.  "You all just sit, and Arabella and I will serve supper.  Come on, Josh, you can help."

Chin up, right?  Until you knew that it wasn't time for that!

@MD

@Javia

• Love 1

Isiah sure wished he knew that Weedy even had a inkling of an idea of where Jemima had described....but even if he did know would he drag the boy out there in that?  Nope.  He admired the boys positive nature, the optimism he brought to the table.  It sure helped to ease his nerves.  He managed to chuckle for all of them, smiling as he pat the boy on his back, even if it was hard to show any sort of happiness in this moment. "You got that right there, Weedy!  They gonna find out right quick that they poked the wrong bear." He winked at the boy as he got up and he and Arabella started to serve their dinner.

Josh sure was worried and he was staying quiet.  He didn't know what ta think about everything going on but he knew he didn't want nothing ta happen to his Aunt Addy like had happened to his Ma.  He jumped up and went to the cabinet and was thankful the plates were on the lower ones because he'd never be able to reach up high.  He grabbed 5 of them and brought them over to Jemima, since he couldn't reach the table real good.  

Isiah could tell that Jemima wanted to say something....or well he suspected.  "Well..." He motioned with his hand. "Go ahead, what's on yer mind?"  If she had something to share that could help them well, he'd like ta know. "I won't bite this time." He vowed as he raised his brows.

@Javia @Bongo  

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Isiah could tell that Jemima wanted to say something....or well he suspected.  "Well..." He motioned with his hand. "Go ahead, what's on yer mind?"  If she had something to share that could help them well, he'd like ta know. "I won't bite this time." He vowed as he raised his brows.

Jemima hesitated. Her mouth opened, then she changed her mind. Then she opened it again. Arabella came to her rescue. "Oh don't mind her, Mr. C. that's just her face. She always looks like she's got something to say when she ain't, ain't that right 'Mimes?" she asked gaily. Jemima opened her mouth to answer and nothing came out.

"There y'are, told ya so!" nodded Arabella and took the plates off of Isiah and handed them to Jemima, who turned and put them out on the table. Arabella looked up at Addy's tall brother and shook her head a little, mouthing the words 'She's all right' which, she guessed, was a lie. But better a little white lie than try and get a mixed up complicated sort of girl like Jemima to try and shine a light on her own neuroses. 

Getting everything ready for supper was a welcome distraction from worry for one and all and soon the pie was steaming on the table and, kudos to Miss Wigfall, smelled delicious. They were just about to dig in when Arabella stopped them all with a cry of "A-A-A!" and she put her hands together in prayer. "Be present at our table Lord. Be here and everywhere adored. These mercies bless and grant that we may feast in fellowship with Thee. Amen." she rattled off the standard Methodist mealtime grace, but then added.

"Oh, and Lord, while you're here and listening: can you please bring our loved ones Miss Caroline Mundee and Miss Adelaide Chappel back to us real quick, cause we really miss 'em and well, we're all just about worried sick about 'em. Miss Chappel is a good woman, well 'part from that time she was livin' over the brush with that Mr Ryker feller, and her brother Mister Chappel and her nephew Josh and especially her beloved adopted son Porter James want and need her back with them real soon; and Miss Mundee, well, I know she ain't exactly angel material, but I just love her and miss her to bits so bringing her back safe'd mean everything to me and I'd never, never do anything bad ever again if you would grant this wish, our Lord, Amen."

While He was on the line, she decided to put in a request for Jemima, too, since she'd been left out so far.

"OH!" she shouted Him back "And Lord, if you could do something about that cyst on Jemima Wigfall's back, she'd be mighty grateful: I mean, Doctor Danforth's drained that thing like about a dozen times and it just fills right back up like a old water well. Anyhow, she don't like to talk about it, so I reckoned I'd mention it while you're here. Er, Amen." 

She opened her eyes and looked at all the faces around her at the table. They all looked like they'd never heard anyone say grace before! Heathens. 

"OK, tuck in folks!" she beamed. 

@Bongo @MD

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When Arabella mouthed that Jemima was all right, he just nodded his head to her and decided not to press it anymore.  He went and  found his spot back at the table.  The food smelled delicious but he couldn't bring himself to eat, not with his sister and this Miss Mundee out there missing with those Indians.  He'd at least pretend to eat so the others would.  He wanted Weedy and Josh to not follow his lead so as he was reaching to serve the boys plates Arabella stopped him mid-move with the prayer.  He pulled his hand back and bowed his head.

Isiah wasn't all that pleased with the Lord right now.  So many bad things happening to him and his family.  He knew he had to get right with Him though and he s'pposed that would happen sooner rather than later.  With head bowed he listened to the prayer, muttered an Amen and went back for the serving spoon when she started up again.  Eyes wide for a moment he dropped his head again and listened, this time when he heard his sisters name he focused real hard on the words, hoping maybe that would take them to heaven just a little bit quicker.  His interest peaked though when she mentioned his sister living with some Mr. Ryker.  And that she was an angel except for when she lived with him?!  He lifted his head and opened his eyes for a moment as she looked at the girl, but she was deep in her prayer.  He'd ask her about that later when everything was settled down and everyone was home safely.  

And then again, he muttered his Amen reached for the spoon and was interrupted with yet another prayer request.  This time he leaned back in his chair, listening with his eyes open, feeling his stomach churn a little at the request, his face wrinkling up some at the description.  He made sure to clear it up though before anyone else had open eyes, but his eyes fell on Arabella as she finished.  Before he even made a move to try and grab that spoon he hesitated, but the boys were already digging into the delicious meal. "You sure?" 

@Javia @Bongo

Edited by MD (see edit history)
  • Love 1

Weedy had had enough, now that the food was presented.  He hadn't thought he was that hungry, after all those cookies, but now that the food was laid out, he was ready to eat, and he tucked in, even if Miss Arabella decided to ramble on some more.  Heck, she was as bad as some of those tent-preachers, summoning the spirits to put the Fear of God into everyone!

Nope, it was time to eat, after all that work, and he wanted to keep up his strength, in case he needed to help out when Miss Addy was home.

"This is real good, Miz Jemima," he declared around a mouth-ful of food, something he knew Miss Addy wouldn't approve of, but she wasn't here, was she?

@Javia

@MD

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

For a little while there was silence apart from the agreeable sounds of metal cutlery chinking on china and contented munching. Then Weedy piped up.

"This is real good, Miz Jemima," he declared around a mouth-ful of food, something he knew Miss Addy wouldn't approve of, but she wasn't here, was she?

Jemima just nodded her appreciation of the appreciation, as it were, but Arabella went so far to admonish him "You hadn't oughta speak with your mouth full." she said, or something like that, it was hard to tell with that half-masticated piece of tater pie in her own mouth.

The eating took her mind off Caroline's predicament, but once she'd had her fill she cast around for another topic of conversation to distract them all. Her choice wasn't really designed to enrapture the two boys there, though.

"Oh, Jemima, Miriam was showin' me that dress you just finished at Pettigrew's for Anæsthesia Orr, all covered in organza, she said it's the hardest thing in the world to work with." she looked over at Isiah. 

"You should meet Miss Orr, Mr Chappel, she's just about the prettiest girl in the whole territories!" gushed Arabella, who had a bit of a crush on the aloof blonde.

"She's a snob." muttered Jemima, under her breath. 

@MD @Bongo