Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

Not to Worry

Once their dinner time talk was interrupted by the sound of someone at the door Isiah could hear nothing else.  He wanted to know who was here and if they had news.  He jumped up when the young man entered the room, not startled by it since everyone seemed to welcome him....well welcome might have been a stretch the way Jemima yelled at him.

But here he was and he had just what Isiah was wanting to hear.  News.  And good news at that!!!  

"You must be Mister Chappel" he nodded to Isiah "Good news, your sister's all right Sir. So's Caroline." he added quickly, looking over at Arabella, who suddenly burst into tears and collapsed face down onto the table sobbing with relief and joy. 

Extending his hand he let the man know that he was Chappel, but didn't take the time to exchange any pleasantries.  He had more important matters and that was to let them know that Addy and Caroline were OK!  A wide grin broke across Isiah's face and he whooped and hollered for a moment, that until he spoke of some whose lives had been taken during all this.  

But then Hector was making jokes and he figured out he was Jemima's brother...which he probably should have already figured out himself given their relation.  

If the news was just getting to them Isiah knew it would be a while before they got back to town.  He walked after Weedy who went to the door checking for them.  "They ain't here just yet, bud." Isiah spoke to him, putting a hand on Weedy's shoulder and looking back at Hector. "How close are they?  Do you know if they're injured?  Are they close enough I can go to them?" He'd do anything he could to help get his sister, Carolina, anyone else involved back here safely! 

@Bongo @Javia

If the news was just getting to them Isiah knew it would be a while before they got back to town.  He walked after Weedy who went to the door checking for them.  "They ain't here just yet, bud." Isiah spoke to him, putting a hand on Weedy's shoulder and looking back at Hector.

Jemima had started to clean up the dinner things, un-noteworthy little drudge that she was. 

Arabella jumped up and started to do a little jig around the place with joy that Caroline was all right.

"How close are they?  Do you know if they're injured?  Are they close enough I can go to them?" He'd do anything he could to help get his sister, Carolina, anyone else involved back here safely! 

Hector could understand the man's impatience: despite their arguments and teasing and sometimes downright physical fights, which Jemima always won, deep down he loved his twin sister and, despite being somewhat allergic to danger, would wade through Hell or high water to rescue her. 

"I'm not sure, Mr. Chappel, but I reckon they'll take the two of them back to the Fort in the first instance: the trooper said that an officer and some of the men were wounded in the rescue so they'll take them there for treatment, they've got medical orderlies and such. He said the women were all right, I think he'd have mentioned if either were wounded or..." he frowned down at Weedy, not wanting to mention the notion of rape in front of the stripling "... anything."

"I bet Caroline fought them injuns off - she keeps a derringer in her knickers!" Arabella yelped. 

Hector just shook his head with a grin and rolled his eyes at Isiah. 

"I personally wouldn't approach that Fort 'til daybreak, Mr. Chappel, their sentries are kinda trigger happy. Friend of mine, Lutz, had to deliver a message there one night and some darn soldier boy nearly parted his hair for him." The telegraph operator warned. "Up to you, though." he shrugged. Unlike Jemima, who wanted to protect the handsome Mr. Chappel from harm, Hector knew that 'a man had to do what a man had to do' - as long as it was some other feller doin' the doin', he didn't care.

@MD

"I know where the fort is!" Weedy offered with a hopeful expression.  They could hitch up the team and leave right now, the roads weren't that  bad, and then they could...

Well, Hector had said the soldiers might take shots at them, but then, Indians didn't use wagons, so why would they be there in a wagon, making all kinds of noise if they were sneaking up?

He sighed and shrugged.  "First light, I can help you hitch up a team," he suggested, "or we can just ride the horses, that would be faster!"

'We', of course, being non-negotiable, at least to Weedy's thinking!

@MD

@Javia

Isiah was just as anxious to head that way as Weedy was, but with Hector's warning he knew he had to heed it.  There was no way he could risk putting the boy in any kind of danger and now that his sister and this Caroline were safely with those soldiers Isiah could rest more easy.  

"Thank you, Hector." Isiah said to him of the news he'd brought to them and the warning.  He looked down at Weedy. "Unless we hear anything different between now and first light, then yes, we hitch up and ride out." He smiled warmly down at Weedy, so very happy for him that Addy was OK.  He was happy for himself too of course, but Weedy already had lost his parents.  He couldn't imagine him going through that again.

@Javia @Bongo

OOC: We can pause this scene whenever you guys are ready.  Pick back up whenever it's time to head towards Addy and Caroline or start/join a different scene.

That is so interesting about your family Bongo!  

It wasn't long before Arabella parted, A) to get the glad tidings back to Caroline's 'family', her fellow saloon workers, and B) to avoid the washing up. Hector went back to the Telegraph Office and eventually, when Jemima had washed, dried and tidied away the supper things, she went, too. With Mr. Chappel there to look after Josh and Weedy, she was surplus to requirements, and bade her farewells.

"Well, night." 

Jemima wasn't long on impassioned speeches. 

[OOC: Yes, better wait and make sure they definitely are rescued OK before going to pick them up from the Fort! Maybe that should be a new thread?]