• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Justus kept a close eye on the man as he approached, reassured by the fact that he was being allowed to approach, and that there was no sign of aggression.  He stopped a few feet away.   "Evenin', sir."  Justus nodded with an easy grin, relieved that it seemed this was a friendly bunch.  Most men on drives were, but Justus had learned young that it was best to assume the worst, then be happily surprised.   "Just what are you up too?" It was Dallas, and he was one to ask questions first, rather than just shoot a fellow. "You might oughtta ride on in like a man. There'll be plenty of grub, and you'll be welcome to it." He smiled.   "Thank ya, sir, I might do just that."  While he didn't want to seem too eager, there was no denying that he was grateful for the offer.   "You out here on yer own? Mount up an' I'll ride in with ya jest so's you don't get shot er nuthin'!" The he laughed.   "Yes, sir, I'm alone."  Swinging into the saddle, Justus patted Mule on the neck, then fell into pace beside the man.  "I do appreciate this, sir, I'll work for it, sir, help th' cookie with dishes or some'at."  A thankless job, but it wouldn't do him any harm, and he wouldn't feel so much like mooching.   "Oh, m' name's Justus Wheeler, sir.  I'm headed north, nowhere in particular."   @Flip
    • Mature Content:  Might well be violence.   With: Turk Flagg, Caroline, and who knows else Location: Star Dust Saloon When: Sept/ 1876 Time of Day: Early evening     Now Turk had never been to this part of Montana previously but  seemed like a nice enough quiet town. Actually peaceful towns were not exactly good for his sort of occupation but then he had not ridden in with any specific job in mind.  He was between jobs, just last week he'd delivered a prisoner to a small town south of Kalispell, the man had been a wanted rustler. Fellow whined the whole way back right up to jail that he was innocent. Turk then just pointed out he was neither judge nor jury, tell it to someone who cared. Least he had some cash in his pocket. And where better to spend a bit of it then in the town's only saloon apparently. Least only one he could spot.   Entering into the place thru the swinging bat doors, he took in the joint. Decent enough, he'd seen many worse, some better. On this weekday night it was not crowded but there were a few folks at the bar and some others gathered around tables, most tables holding card games. He didn't go for cards though and on those rare occasions when he had, he usually lost money. Nope, keep it simple, get a drink or two or four.   As he sidled up to the bar, the bartender was presently occupied with another customer so he paused to take a second scan of the place. And who should he see but...................   "Caroline?  Caroline Mundee," he made sure he said those words loud enough the woman could hear him as she  a good distance away, holding a tray of drinks.   Caroline not only picked up on her name but recognized the voice and turned to see just to make certain. The look on her face made it plain she knew the speaker alright as she broke out into a wide smile.   "Well, I'll be !  Gimme a minute," she called back then hurried to finish her on duty errand, duly placing the tray in front of four card players, "Here ya are, boys. Enjoy!"    Turk nodded and just leaned with his back against the bar, watching her every move. She sure was as pretty as the last time they'd seen each other. He never took his eyes off her as she then approached and in a few seconds the two embraced in a quick but heartfelt hug.   "Turk! I had heard rumors you were dead," Caroline declared when they broke it up.   "Nope, I can truly assure you that I am not. Yer lookin' fine as always," he grinned.   Caroline looked past him for a moment, "Ralph, break out one of the good bottles and pour us two shots, will ya, hon?"    "Shit! How much that gonna cost me now?"  Turk knew her routine alright, they'd become friends in Helena when she worked a saloon there.   "Nah! On the house! I'm real glad ta see you again," Caroline then leaned into the bar next to him, they had some catching up to do alright.              
    • Four good men was all he needed, and Granger knew just the men for the job. Men that would kill anyone that threatened the ranch in any way, shape, or form. Of course, that went doe any number of of the Evergreen hands, the men he wanted would be the worst, and most dangerous of the hands Elias Steelgrave employed   The first one he ran on to was the stocky built Dutch, the only name they knew him by, but that was enough. He rode up next to the man, "Dutch, Mister Steelgrave has a job for you."   Dutch looked to him, knowing if the old man wanted him for a job it wouldn't be nurse maiding no cows. "Sure Granger, what's he got in mind?"   "Might be some Lost Lake men trailing Carson, they need to be stopped." It was quick and blunt.   "Right up my alley, Granger. Start now?" Dutch asked.   "I'll Get Treach, Watts, and Deckerd. Mister Steelgrave wants you boys to be sure they start it."    "Easy as pie. If you want I'll go for 'em, know right where they are and well just head that way." Dutch offered with a grin that was far from friendly.   "Sure Dutch, go ahead. Anything happens, you hightail it back here." Granger  replied to which Dutch nodded and spurred his horse.           Dutch                                      Treach                             Watts                       Deckerd
    • The conversation with Misses Thornton-Carlton had been informative, though she had not said when these hands from the Lost Lake would be in town for supplies. In New Mexico Territory they generally went once a month, unless they were in need of something or they got word an order had come in, which was rare, the Apaches saw to that. No one was willing to take the chance . But this here might be different. The Lost Lake was not so far from town as the Lazy S was to Lordsburg, nor as dangerous.   So, the hotel looked to be the place he'd stay until these hands rode in, and it would certainly give him a chance to meet some folks, like she said, see who his allies were. And from, what he had learned so far, the trouble ran deep between the Lost Lake and this Evergreen Ranch, and then toss in the son and his pack of animals. Things could get terminal real quick. This was shaping up to be far more than he had bargained for when he left New Mexico. But he was there now, so he could run, or stay, and Tyrell Thornton was not much for running.
    • Speed took the time to let Alice and her father know where he was going, and why, then mounted up and started out for the fort. He'd not been there, he had seen it in passing, and it was a welcome sight with the Indians out. He understood that the Military had no jurisdiction in town, and likely they might not be willing to help, yet, then again, they might. Protecting citizens was their job. And just because the ones Speed was asking them to protect were in town with active lawmen, A large contingent of outlaws  posed a significant threat.   The outlaws, be it Cases' gang or Elias' riders, or both together, it would be more than a handful lawmen could handle, even with the townsfolk defending their town. True, most had served in the War Between the States, but that had been over ten years ago, and true they had fought Indians and outlaws, yet these men were settled down now and past getting into gun trouble. And maybe it wouldn't come. Maybe Neither Steelgrave wanted to tangle with the town and it's people. Yet going to talk with the Army made sense, even if they couldn't really help out right then.

Phin had taken a seat as directed, and when the information began rolling out he was glad he did. Pad and pencil hard at it to note the important things said, that were not yet for publication, but rather for Phin's personal knowledge.

Orr, the man was dead but certainly not forgotten, even though the reading of the will was a natural part of life for the survivors. Interesting that young Reeve was the bastard child of Richard Orr, but not surprising, and with Virginia City some nearly three hundred miles away from Kalispell, playing around would be quite easy. If a man was so inclined. It seemed Orr was, and Reeve was the result.

"Damned if you don't take all, Hector Wigfall. I haven't heard the term 'Copperhead' since the war. But, being a territory, actually being in a territory just since 'sixty-four, a scant two years, means we don't have a vote. So why is Reeve a political agent out here?" That was confounding, Montana would be of little use in the National elections. 

"Perhaps the idea is to influence the Territorial Elections with an eye to statehood and having the Democrat Party in place when that happens, depending on how the National election goes, of course. Who is it? Tilden and Hayes?"

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Damned if you don't take all, Hector Wigfall. I haven't heard the term 'Copperhead' since the war. But, being a territory, actually being in a territory just since 'sixty-four, a scant two years, means we don't have a vote. So why is Reeve a political agent out here?" That was confounding, Montana would be of little use in the National elections. 

Hector looked a little baffled by McVey's arithmetic, probably just a slip of the tongue, Montana had been a Territory for twelve years, not two. The telegraph operator would have been equally bamboozled by McVey's point about the lack of a vote, but his contact in Virginia City had filled him in on that. 

"Listen..." he said, leaning forward even more and tapping his finger on the table "We do have a vote, it's just that our Representative doesn't have a vote in congress. And Martin Maginnis is a Democrat, even if he did fight for the Union in the war. Sure, his re-election won't affect the overall result, but he's not going to give that position up easily. It might not give him too much influence in Washington, but it gives him a lot of influence 'round here." 

"Reeve reports directly to Maginnis".

"Perhaps the idea is to influence the Territorial Elections with an eye to statehood and having the Democrat Party in place when that happens, depending on how the National election goes, of course. Who is it? Tilden and Hayes?"

"That's right" confirmed the well-informed key-tapper "You know, Arabella Mudd has a picture of Governor Tilden pinned on the wall above her bed and says prayers for him before she goes to sleep every night." he laughed "... er, so my sister tells me!" he added quickly, he didn't want to give the impression he'd ever been in there to see it for himself. 

@Flip

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Reeve reports directly to Maginnis".

"Representative Martin Maginnis, a scoundral to be sure, owned the Red Wing Sentinel at one point. Published the Helena Daily Gazette after the war, oh I know who he is alright. And yes, he is the territory's non-voting representative, I'll grant you that. But what I don't get is what he and this Reeve are trying to achieve. What is it they are really after?" Phin put forward.

"I can see them attempting to wrest control of the territory politically, but to what end? I mean we have no idea when Montana will join the Union. It's still a pipe dream that at some point will become reality I suppose." He mused. "The man has been a bit of everything, and done quite well at most all of it, politician, soldier, publisher, editor and miner to date, but there is an end result they are after, that is what I'd like to know."

@Javia

Edited by Flip (see edit history)
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Representative Martin Maginnis, a scoundral to be sure, owned the Red Wing Sentinel at one point. Published the Helena Daily Gazette after the war, oh I know who he is alright. And yes, he is the territory's non-voting representative, I'll grant you that. But what I don't get is what he and this Reeve are trying to achieve. What is it they are really after?" Phin put forward.

Hector shrugged and shook his head, indicating he hadn't a clue. Apart from the gossip he'd passed on, politics was a closed door to him: he couldn't fathom why men got involved in it: sure, it gave some power, temporarily it seemed to him, which maybe they could exploit. But it seemed a precarious game at best. Much better to apply oneself to a good honest trade or, for the more ambitious, try and expand human knowledge and ability in some area and make a living at that along the way. He himself was hoping to do something big in telegraphy one day. 

Mr McVey seemed to find the machinations of the various regional dabblers in politics a fascinating knot to unravel. 

"I can see them attempting to wrest control of the territory politically, but to what end? I mean we have no idea when Montana will join the Union. It's still a pipe dream that at some point will become reality I suppose." He mused. "The man has been a bit of everything, and done quite well at most all of it, politician, soldier, publisher, editor and miner to date, but there is an end result they are after, that is what I'd like to know."

Hector nodded, assuming a look of concerned concentration, but was unable to add much to Mr McVey's store of knowledge. "You could ask Arabella, er, Miss Mudd. She's kinda talkative, and knows more about politics that you'd expect, for a girl. Like I say, though, she's a red-hot Democrat, if she thinks you're pumping her for information... well, even Arabella can keep her mouth shut sometimes."

@Flip

Ah yes, Arabella, now there's a young lady that makes one scratch their head. Actually, at this point, there's no sense trying to understand what they are doing, or trying to do. But I d appreciate your help with this Reeve business. I guess it's a wait and see situation." Phin supposed.

"Anyway, anything more you can dredge up on this Reeve character, I'd be most grateful to learn, maybe derail whatever his plan is. But, I need to get over to the Municipal Building and see if I can interview the last of the Mayoral Candidates, Cole Latham. If he'll allow it." Then Phin laughed. "Should be an interesting rest of the day!"

@Javia

• Love 1

"Ah yes, Arabella, now there's a young lady that makes one scratch their head."

"Yeah, especially when she starts going on about that nit shampoo of hers!" agreed Hector, inadvertently lifting his hand to scratch his own head. 

"Actually, at this point, there's no sense trying to understand what they are doing, or trying to do. But I'd appreciate your help with this Reeve business. I guess it's a wait and see situation." Phin supposed.

Hector shrugged his assent. He couldn't care less about Reeve and would divvy up any dirt he could find on the suspicious fellow. 

"Anyway, anything more you can dredge up on this Reeve character, I'd be most grateful to learn, maybe derail whatever his plan is. But, I need to get over to the Municipal Building and see if I can interview the last of the Mayoral Candidates, Cole Latham. If he'll allow it." Then Phin laughed. "Should be an interesting rest of the day!"

"What, Steelgrave's lawyer?" asked the telegraph operator saucer-eyed. "You're a braver man than me!" Hector didn't mind admitting it, he wouldn't go anywhere near any of the dread ranch boss's cronies even if you paid him to. Actually, he had taken telegrams there on occasion, but always with a sickly sinking feeling in his stomach.

As Mr McVey left though, Hector had to allow himself a wry smile: Mr McVey had the guts to go poking around in Cole Latham's affairs, but had come up with a feeble excuse to avoid getting entangled with Arabella Mudd. Yeah, the editor of the Union was brave in the pursuit of a story, but he wasn't that brave.

@Flip

• Made Me Laugh! 1

The suggestion to speak with Arabella Mudd presented some contradicting thoughts, yes, it would be possible to learn something about what? That was the question, and did she even know this Reeve fellow as he had not seen him anywhere but at Pettigrew's, though that actually meant nothing. People were out and about town at all hours of the day and night, and he was not always watching.

Arabella might have something to say on the matter, she definitely had an eye for handsome young men, and Reeve certainly filled that bill adequately enough, beside a whiskey or two before deal with Latham's lies couldn't hurt, even if it meant dealing with the irrepressible Miss Mudd. So it was off to the Stardust Saloon and Miss Arabella Mudd.

@Javia

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Posted (edited)

Arabella nearly jumped out of her skin when there was a polite knock at her bedroom door. She didn’t recognise it as Caroline’s knock – anyway, she tended to knock and come straight in. And Mammy McMahon didn’t even bother knocking, she always burst right in, no doubt hoping to catch her up to no good: and usually succeeding.

Her heart raced as she tiptoed to the door and peeped through the crack between the door and the jamb. Had Mister Priest come up to frighten her with more veiled threats? Or maybe Fortner had changed his mind about letting her go and had come up to lock her in her room! She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw it was Mr. McVey, although what the newspaper man wanted to see her about that was worth climbing up the stairs to see her in her soon-to-be-vacated lair, she had no idea.

She pulled the door open wide.

“Howdy Mr. McVey, come on in! Don’t worry, I’ll keep the door open so folks don’t talk!” she smiled happily and went back to packing her battered looking case. It wasn’t a particularly big case, but her scanty possessions would still be rattling around inside of it.

She picked up a fancy looking pair of pink silk camiknickers with ribbons and bows all over them. “Hey, take a look at these! Ms Devereau left ‘em behind when she went. Them titchy things’re no use to me, I feel the cold!” she laughed, throwing them in the case anyway, then picking up a pair of sturdy, enormously large and thick bloomers. “That’s more like it: a girl can’t go wrong in a pair o’ these!” she announced, folding the commodious but uncomfortable looking drawers up and placing them in the case next.

“Sorry Mr. McVey, what can I do you for?” she asked, looking up from her packing “I don’t reckon you came all the way up here to look at my underwear!” she chuckled, but then frowned and gave him a suspicious look “Er… did yer?”

• Made Me Laugh! 1

"Well no, and actually I had hoped to catch you down stairs, however, your room is fine and I suspect will do nicely." He began. "May I sit?" He motioned to a chair close by.

"So, I understand that you are a student of politics, local, territorial as well as national. So, perhaps we might discuss politics on our local and territorial levels. Personally I have been looking at getting interviews with the local candidates, especially for the position of mayor of our fair town, I'm sure then that you are aware of those who have declared for the job."

"I have had a most disquieting and contentious interview with Mister Worchester Pettigrew. Now I mean to say that though the interview was to be with him, a Mister Lewis Cass Reeve seemed to have much of his own input both in his interjection, and with Mister Pettigrew's train of thought. Though that was much better than an absence of conversation with the Honorable Hiram Priest Esquire, who was less than. Two more to go, Matt Wentworth and, Cole Latham, who I am saving, possibly for last. So, I am certainly open for opinions."

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Arabella more or less threw herself between Phin and the chair upon which he was about to lower his caboose.

"Oh no!" she cried "Don't sit on that, the leg's broke! That's just fer decoration! Sit on the bed. Don't worry, it creaks a bit. Not as much as Caroline's next door, mind." 

Mr. McVey then explained the purpose of his visit. The poor feller seemed to have a hard time getting his meaning out clear but, head tipped to the side, frowning with concentration and holding some piece of complicated corsetry suspended in the air above her case, Arabella just about got his drift.

"Oh, you wanna talk about politickin'? Not the whole country, just round here and hereabouts, uh huh!" she nodded and carried on packing. "Oh sure, you can ask me anything you like about that, I'm a regular hexpert on that old stuff." she assured him.

"I have had a most disquieting and contentious interview with Mister Worchester Pettigrew."

"Ol' Wus gave you the collywobbles, huh?" nodded Ara, who decided to translate Mr Vey into English as he went along.

"Now I mean to say that though the interview was to be with him, a Mister Lewis Cass Reeve seemed to have much of his own input both in his interjection, and with Mister Pettigrew's train of thought."

"Oh sure, Wus was a-jawin' but Reeve kept on buttin' in? Well, I've noticed that. Poor old Wus is just Mr Reeve's puppet, anyone can see that." agreed the girl.

"Though that was much better than an absence of conversation with the Honorable Hiram Priest Esquire, who was less than.

Arabella gave a shiver "Don't even get me started on that sidewinder!" she said, pulling a face. "'Honourable' my... Aunt!"

"Two more to go, Matt Wentworth and, Cole Latham, who I am saving, possibly for last. So, I am certainly open for opinions."

Arabella thought for a second and then came around the other side of the bed and sat down next to the newspaperman. "Budge up, now listen, I'll explain the whole thing to you..." she said confidentially. 

"Now... I was around there the other night: Mr Reeve was explainin' to Mr Pettigrew and Mr Vaughn and Miss Orr - don't you think Miss Orr is just the prettiest thing alive? ... oh, anyway, it was all way above their heads. I was just there to play the piano and look pretty,  but I cottoned to exactly what he was saying. He said that because the next Government is going to be Democrat, which it is..." (she was nearly right) "... it's important to get as much support for the party at a local kinda level, in the towns and in the Territory. Stuff like that."

She hurried on, knowing Mr McVey's penchant for objecting to opinions he didn't agree with.

"But I started to think... if getting one of ours in as Mayor of Kalispell is so dog-gone important, well, surely they'd a picked a better candidate than Mr. P., God bless him. You still with me? Well, then I thought, why pick a feller as can't win, but ain't so bad he won't get quite a lot of the votes? Then it hit me..."

She leaned in close, perhaps uncomfortably close, to the man next to her on the bed and whispered in his ear:

"Reeve must be in with either Latham or Priest to split the vote!" She sat back and gave him a knowing, wide eyed nod.

@Flip

McVay looked at the girl, there was a real knowledge there, of politic anyway. "Alright, I'll bite, if not Pettigrew, or this Priest fellow, just who is the candidate they're after? Priest is pretty much unknown except for the saloon crowd and Pettigrew, a real long-shot, in my opinion."

He went on, "Now getting down to brass tacks, it would be between Latham, who is a known Steelgrave man, and Wentworth, who doesn't seem to show a political side one way or the other, are the real contenders. Now, I'm of the opinion that Matt has the best shot with the job. I'm not so sure people here are any too concerned with National politics, but state and local, oh yes, especially local. How do you feel about that? And do you see anyone running for County Sheriff, or Guyer's job as Town Marshal?"

He wondered silently how this conversation was so opposed to what he would have expected.

@Javia

• Made Me Laugh! 1

McVay looked at the girl, there was a real knowledge there, of politic anyway. "Alright, I'll bite, if not Pettigrew, or this Priest fellow, just who is the candidate they're after? Priest is pretty much unknown except for the saloon crowd and Pettigrew, a real long-shot, in my opinion."

Mr McVey and Arabella jawed some more about the candidates. "Sure, Priest's the long shot, but think about this: when he first arrived - that day him and Fortner shot Frank Grimes - he was boastin' about he'd been Mayor in other towns. Well, he must've been just as much of a side-windin' rattler in them towns as he is here, but somehow he must've got voted in." she gave her opinion. "Well, if it wasn't for that joker in the pack, then..."

He went on, "Now getting down to brass tacks, it would be between Latham, who is a known Steelgrave man, and Wentworth, who doesn't seem to show a political side one way or the other, are the real contenders."

"Aw, come on, Mr. McVey! He might as well have a hephalump tattooed across his forehead!" objected Arabella, who apparently took Mr Wentworth for a Republican of the deepest dye.

"Now, I'm of the opinion that Matt has the best shot with the job."

"I'll admit he'd probably be the best at doin' it" she agreed "Even if he is a foul minion of the Tyrant Grant."

"I'm not so sure people here are any too concerned with National politics, but state and local, oh yes, especially local. How do you feel about that?"

Arabella just shook her head "I gotta admit, Mr McVey, I don't know enough about what's goin' on behind the scenes to opine on that. All I know about local politics I what I read in your newspaper, and frankly, I take take that with  pinch of salt." she informed him quite happily. 

"And do you see anyone running for County Sheriff, or Guyer's job as Town Marshal?"

"Not if they got their heads screwed on right!" she laughed, then looked him in the eyes "Well, would you?!" 

She shook her head. "Nope, the only thing I know is Governor Tilden is gonna be our next President..." she jumped up on the bed and took down the picture pinned above it, kissed it, held it to her heart and then put it lovingly in her case. "... and, God Help us, the Dishonourable Priest, will be the next Mayor of Kalispell and, well, Mr. Vey, I will never drink, smoke or gamble, least for money, but I'll bet you I'm right! I'll bet you a double-dare!"

She waited to see how the opinionate Editor of the Union would put his money where his mouth was. 

@Flip

• Love 1

"Priest? Really? You think a man that never comes out of the saloon will garner the Mayors position over Wentworth? Somehow I'd call that a longshot if there ever was one!" McVay exclaimed. "Now I'm not saying it couldn't happen, because we both know too well it could, I'm just saying it is highly unlikely."

He shook his head, "And just what do you see as his draw? I mean I couldn't get a word out of him for an interview, what do folks know about him besides he lives in that saloon. Be a sad state of affairs were the Stardust Saloon to become the Mayors office. You yourself have nothing good to say for him, what make you think anyone else does. It was a sad day when Miss Devereau sold the place, just my opinion."

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Priest? Really? You think a man that never comes out of the saloon will garner the Mayors position over Wentworth? Somehow I'd call that a longshot if there ever was one!" McVay exclaimed.

Arabella shrugged. "Well, call it woman's intuition if you like, but I can feel it in mah water. Somehow or other, that varmint's gonna get his hands on the Mayor's chain! I'm willing to bet on it." 

"Now I'm not saying it couldn't happen, because we both know too well it could, I'm just saying it is highly unlikely."

"That's probably what they said in all them other places where he was Mayor!" the girl replied, picking up a pair of rolled up stockings, sniffing them, pulling a face, and then throwing them in the case anyway. 

He shook his head, "And just what do you see as his draw? I mean I couldn't get a word out of him for an interview, what do folks know about him besides he lives in that saloon."

"Maybe that's it! All the other candidates have got something that folks don't like about 'em: Latham's Steelgraves' man, and lots of folks hate him; Mr Pettigrew's a Democrat and an kinda a cream puff, and some wrong headed people don't like democrats; Mr Wentworth's a Republican, and people are fed up o' the Tyrant Grant's corrupt government, reconstructin' all over the dear old southland and such... then they see Priest's name on the ballot paper and they're all like 'ohh, I don't know who this feller is, sounds kinda holy, I don't know nothin' wrong with him - I'll vote fer him!"

"Be a sad state of affairs were the Stardust Saloon to become the Mayors office. You yourself have nothing good to say for him, what make you think anyone else does. It was a sad day when Miss Devereau sold the place, just my opinion."

"Not just your opinion" she agreed "Why d'ya think I'm packin' this case?!" she asked, lifting up her enormous bible and placing it reverently into the travelling trunk.  

@Flip

"Packing your case? And what are you planning to do, runaway from the doldrums of saloon life, or as a precaution if Priest does manage to upset the electorate come September?" Phin quizzed. "Seems to me you have quite the following with your piano playing, and with Miss Mundee's vocalizations."

"I agree that people here tend to take the path of ;least resistance about most things, makes life easier that way. It's hard enough as it is, but when it comes to the Mayors position, well, I'd like to think that's different, and I'd hope political parties aside, the best man for the job would take it, not the one that sounded like he was clergy."

"Of course, you understand that no one's stumping yet, a bit too early for that sort of thing, but I expect things to get lively once they do. Be good to hear what they have to say, except for Cole Latham, nobody understands his legalese anyway.'" He stated.

@Javia

"Packing your case? And what are you planning to do, runaway from the doldrums of saloon life, or as a precaution if Priest does manage to upset the electorate come September?" Phin quizzed. "Seems to me you have quite the following with your piano playing, and with Miss Mundee's vocalizations."

"Oh, I'm comin' back in the evenin's to play for Cara, but in the daytime I'm workin' fer Mr Jolly instead o' scrubbin' floors and emptiyin' spitoons. I'm gonna live with Bridget Monahan." she explained matter-of-factly. Phin displayed the level of interest he had in the girl's domestic arrangements by immediately getting back onto the subject of the Mayoral elections. 

"I agree that people here tend to take the path of ;least resistance about most things, makes life easier that way. It's hard enough as it is, but when it comes to the Mayors position, well, I'd like to think that's different, and I'd hope political parties aside, the best man for the job would take it, not the one that sounded like he was clergy."

"You got a mighty high opinion of folks, Mr McVey... especially fer a newspaper feller." she grinned. McVey's articles weren't exactly flattering about a lot of folks who made the news - herself included!

"Of course, you understand that no one's stumping yet..."

"'Cept Bridget" Arabella said, under her breath.

"..., a bit too early for that sort of thing, but I expect things to get lively once they do. Be good to hear what they have to say, except for Cole Latham, nobody understands his legalese anyway.'" He stated.

"Bet Mr Reeve does. That feller's a lawyer in a place called Virginia City. I got excited at first, cause I thought he meant he was from Old Dominion, like me, but it's just some place round here." she sighed, taking a last look around the room to see if she'd forgotten anything. 

@Flip

"Yes, the silver mining town south of here." Phin said absently. "Not sure what drew him up here. Meddling in our elections might well be the solitary reason for his presence though I want to doubt it. My reasoning is, he has picked the most unlikely candidate to back going forward."

"While I remain suspicious of his motives, I struggle to uncover any other reason for his presence. Not like there was a girl he had followed here. That would be reason enough, to be sure. It's just I can't put my finger on it." Phin was not the most trusting of souls, so having his doubts about Mister Reeve was normal for him, given the situation. "As far as Latham, well, that would be the one I would think Reeve would be for backing, but, he's not."

So to Phin, there were two non-starters in the upcoming election, Priest, and Pettigrew, even though you favor the one, I'd be hard pressed to vote against either Wentworth or Latham. Stranger things have happened, that's for sure.

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Arabella had begun to suspect that Mr McVey was not so much asking her questions now as thinking out loud, trying to come to terms with the, admittedly odd, situation and maybe also filtering out what could and couldn't go into his newspaper. 

One thing she could help him with did come up then:

"While I remain suspicious of his motives, I struggle to uncover any other reason for his presence. Not like there was a girl he had followed here. That would be reason enough, to be sure. It's just I can't put my finger on it." Phin was not the most trusting of souls, so having his doubts about Mister Reeve was normal for him, given the situation. "As far as Latham, well, that would be the one I would think Reeve would be for backing, but, he's not."

"Ooh!" Arabella said excitedly "Maybe there is a girl involved!" She stopped packing and came and sat on the bed again, for she had a tale to tell.

"Like I said, when I've been round there, that Mister Reeve was always real polite to me and Jemima, but he was especially nice to Anæsthesia Orr: those two was spudlin' up just as cosy as two little bugs in a rug, I mean, I don't blame him, she is real pretty." Arabella sighed "He must have met her when her Pappy's will was read. And I told Hector Wigfall all about it and he looked green with jealousy, because I think he likes her, too, but that's probably just because he's on the rebound from bein' rejected by Miriam Kaufman!" she said with evident satisfaction.

All this gossip about the love life of the Town's younger folk was surely not what the reporter was there to hear, but Arabella pushed on.

"I reckon it's one o' them there 'Eternal Triangles'! You ever been a pointy corner in one o' them, Mr McVey? Or ain't you big on torrid love affairs?" she asked the grizzled looking newspaper man. 

@Flip

"Torrid love affairs? My, yes as a matter fact I have, and been in more than one of those pointy corners, as I expect you will over the years, or perhaps not if you marry." Phin began. "But you have now peaked my interest about Mister Reeve in a completely different light."

"You say something to the effect that Reeve and Miss Orr have just met, but that perhaps he is sweet on her? Am I correct? She inherited well I presume? So, a pretty young woman, now the beneficiary of her fathers will, a charming suitor, if in fact he is one, and she with some wealth? Am I making any sense Arabella? Does it not strike you a bit odd, or not?"

Perhaps the thought of a man of his age, seemingly quite senior to the young lady, perhaps greater than five years, to her age of eighteen, though not unusual, perhaps somewhat suspicious given the circumstances. Or was he just speculating on Reeve's motives unfairly.

@Javia

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Posted (edited)

"Torrid love affairs? My, yes as a matter fact I have, and been in more than one of those pointy corners, as I expect you will over the years, or perhaps not if you marry." Phin began.

"Really?!!!" gasped Arabella, open mouthed. Politics was interesting, but the idea of Mr McVey having once had (presumably in some long ago, antediluvian past) some kind of a lovelife was absolutely fascinating. As for the idea of her getting married: well it sure would be a funny wedding! She actually imagined it for a second, Miriam and herself turning up in the same white dress, the Reverend Evans conducting the service and getting all mixed up with the words, Mr Flandry giving her away, Caroline and Miriam's little sister as their bridesmaids, Frances Grimes playing the organ, Jemima as bouncer on the door... oh, if only such things could be. 

But there would be no 'eternal triangles'. Oh no no no. Arabella would never, ever, ever... Mr McVey's voice brought her back into the room. 

"But you have now peaked my interest about Mister Reeve in a completely different light."

"Why, d'ya think he's in a external triangle?" she asked.

"You say something to the effect that Reeve and Miss Orr have just met, but that perhaps he is sweet on her? Am I correct? She inherited well I presume? So, a pretty young woman..."

"I'll say!" agreed Arabella.

"... now the beneficiary of her fathers will, a charming suitor, if in fact he is one, and she with some wealth? Am I making any sense Arabella? Does it not strike you a bit odd, or not?"

"Sure, you reckon Mr Reeve's a placer miner - pannin' fer gold." she nodded. "Well, he got something in Mr Orr's will too, so he'd'a been there when they read it out: he'll know exactly what Miss Orr's come into." she rubbed her hands together and licked her lips like she was looking at a tasty slice of pie "Oooooh, the intrigue!!"

"Maybe he's gonna marry her and as soon as he's got his hands on her money he'll be all chuckling and rubbin' his hands together and muttering 'ho ho ho, in me power!'  And then he'll make some dastardly plot to kill her, or no! I know, I know, he'll make some dastardly plot to drive her mad, or think she's mad or something, and she'll hang herself - like what Mrs Potee did - and he'll be all pretendin' to cry at the funeral but then this mysterious, beautiful woman will appear at his side, all dressed in black and she'll lift her veil and it'll be his evil girlfriend what put him up to it!" 

"Oooh - and he's even got a top hat, too!!" she added, for good measure.

This would actually make a good play, Arabella thought, and she would be in it and play the evil conniving girlfriend, of course, with her 'palid beauty and raven-black hair'. 

She jumped up of the bed and held out her hand to him.

"Come on! We need to warn her before it's too late!! He's probably gas-lightin' her right now!!"

@Flip

"Hold on now, Arabella, let's not go off half cocked on this. We know nothing of the kind. Perhaps you have a a valid point, yet there is no proof of any foul play, and yes, you are most likely right about him being after her inheritance, but then again, you could be totally misguided About it as well." Phin cautioned. Amazed at her ability to contrive a story in such detail.

"Those kinds of accusations without some sort of proof can e dangerous. Now if he is indeed on the up and up, which is highly possible we needn't intrude upon them. What we can do is keep an eye o him. But to suggest that a handsome young man and a beautiful young girl are headed for some sort foul play is for the moment, ludicrous. I should not have mentioned it."

• Love 1

Mr McVey threw cold water over all of Arabella's far fetched and somewhat slanderous theories about Mr Reece and Miss Orr, the old meanie.

"Those kinds of accusations without some sort of proof can be dangerous."

"Well it ain't like I'm sayin' it to anyone important" she reasoned "Just you."

"Now if he is indeed on the up and up, which is highly possible we needn't intrude upon them. What we can do is keep an eye on him. But to suggest that a handsome young man and a beautiful young girl are headed for some sort foul play is for the moment, ludicrous. I should not have mentioned it."

"Yea, you wanna be careful, puttin' ideas like that into the head of a girl like me!" she agreed "Some of the fellers say I'm highly strung. Or 'should be strung up high' one or t'other." she informed him as she jumped off the bed. 

"Well, that's it, you can stay here if you like. But I'm off to move into my new place." she grabbed her spare bonnet and other things that would be crushed in the case. "You can carry my trunk if you like, unless you're worried people might talk: think you're moving in with a girl a quarter of your age! Well, you know people and their wild gossip and theories."

@Flip

Phin had to laugh, "People would talk? Honestly that has never been of real concern to me. A gentleman assisting a young woman by carrying her trunk? Preposterous, though there will always be wagging tongues in any settlement or city of any size. Just human nature I would suppose."  He said.

"You and I disagree on a number of things, yet, we agree on others. Mister Reeve is certainly one to keep an eye on. And I would say, he is dangerous in another way, to the political atmosphere in Kalispell. He is an odd fellow, yet, so is Mister Pettigrew. Perhaps the goal of him running is to slit the vote? I'm not exactly confident on that assumption." He hoisted the trunk that was surprising lighter than he would have expected. "As time moves on, we'll have a better idea of Pettigrew's purpose in the grand scheme of the elections this fall." He added, then, "I'm following you, Arabella."

@Javia

• Love 1

Mr McVey was chattering away as Arabella grabbed her non-packable items: two dresses, spare bonnet, basket and three large round circles made of bamboo. These were very hard to carry and to manoeuvre through the doorway. 

"You and I disagree on a number of things, yet, we agree on others. Mister Reeve is certainly one to keep an eye on. And I would say, he is dangerous in another way, to the political atmosphere in Kalispell. He is an odd fellow, yet, so is Mister Pettigrew. Perhaps the goal of him running is to slit the vote? I'm not exactly confident on that assumption."

"Now don't you be mean about Mr Pettigrew, Mr McVey, he's been right nice to me: teachin' me all about how to speak proper and act like a lady." she objected. Pettigrew had taught her something else, too, something more important than those surface embellishments, something at her very core. 

He hoisted the trunk that was surprising lighter than he would have expected. "As time moves on, we'll have a better idea of Pettigrew's purpose in the grand scheme of the elections this fall." He added, then, "I'm following you, Arabella."

"Hold on, I'm all tangled up!" she yelped, the three bamboo circles seemed to have minds of their own and were doing their darndest to stop her getting through the doorway. "I'm takin' these hoops with me, in case crinolines come back in!" she informed him. 

Eventually she got herself through the door and down the stairs, with a shout of "I'm goin' now, I'll be back at seven!" at Caroline's door. When the two of them reached the bar, there was a ragged cheer from some of the rounders who were regulars "Don't worry, I'll be back at seven, boys!" she assured them.

"Oh damn!" one of them joked. 

"You movin' in with him?!" another joshed. Arabella laughed and didn't say yes and didn't say no: well, Phin had said he didn't care if people talked!

@Flip

"As a matter of fact, I mean, now that you ask, no, just help a lady with her trunk." Phin said, leading them on just a bit before stating the obvious. "After you Miss." He said to her, allowing her to lead them out of the saloon and on their way to her new residence. Actually, Phin was glad that Arabella would be with Bridget, at least for the foreseeable future. It might be good for both of them.

"So you never said where the two of you would be staying." Addressing Arabella as the stepped out onto the boardwalk. Not that it was any of his business, but he had shouldered her trunk, and he was not a young as he once was, no invalid Phin McVay, but the thing was beginning to show it's weight.

"Now about Pettigrew, I had assured him that what he had said in anger, would not be part of the column." Phin said. "He has his position, and I applaud that. It does not align with mine, and that too is fine. He may well be one Kalispell's favorite entrepreneurs, and I believe rightly so, a Mayor? Perhaps not. Then again young lady, I could be wrong about that."

@Javia

• Love 1