• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Justus kept a close eye on the man as he approached, reassured by the fact that he was being allowed to approach, and that there was no sign of aggression.  He stopped a few feet away.   "Evenin', sir."  Justus nodded with an easy grin, relieved that it seemed this was a friendly bunch.  Most men on drives were, but Justus had learned young that it was best to assume the worst, then be happily surprised.   "Just what are you up too?" It was Dallas, and he was one to ask questions first, rather than just shoot a fellow. "You might oughtta ride on in like a man. There'll be plenty of grub, and you'll be welcome to it." He smiled.   "Thank ya, sir, I might do just that."  While he didn't want to seem too eager, there was no denying that he was grateful for the offer.   "You out here on yer own? Mount up an' I'll ride in with ya jest so's you don't get shot er nuthin'!" The he laughed.   "Yes, sir, I'm alone."  Swinging into the saddle, Justus patted Mule on the neck, then fell into pace beside the man.  "I do appreciate this, sir, I'll work for it, sir, help th' cookie with dishes or some'at."  A thankless job, but it wouldn't do him any harm, and he wouldn't feel so much like mooching.   "Oh, m' name's Justus Wheeler, sir.  I'm headed north, nowhere in particular."   @Flip
    • Mature Content:  Might well be violence.   With: Turk Flagg, Caroline, and who knows else Location: Star Dust Saloon When: Sept/ 1876 Time of Day: Early evening     Now Turk had never been to this part of Montana previously but  seemed like a nice enough quiet town. Actually peaceful towns were not exactly good for his sort of occupation but then he had not ridden in with any specific job in mind.  He was between jobs, just last week he'd delivered a prisoner to a small town south of Kalispell, the man had been a wanted rustler. Fellow whined the whole way back right up to jail that he was innocent. Turk then just pointed out he was neither judge nor jury, tell it to someone who cared. Least he had some cash in his pocket. And where better to spend a bit of it then in the town's only saloon apparently. Least only one he could spot.   Entering into the place thru the swinging bat doors, he took in the joint. Decent enough, he'd seen many worse, some better. On this weekday night it was not crowded but there were a few folks at the bar and some others gathered around tables, most tables holding card games. He didn't go for cards though and on those rare occasions when he had, he usually lost money. Nope, keep it simple, get a drink or two or four.   As he sidled up to the bar, the bartender was presently occupied with another customer so he paused to take a second scan of the place. And who should he see but...................   "Caroline?  Caroline Mundee," he made sure he said those words loud enough the woman could hear him as she  a good distance away, holding a tray of drinks.   Caroline not only picked up on her name but recognized the voice and turned to see just to make certain. The look on her face made it plain she knew the speaker alright as she broke out into a wide smile.   "Well, I'll be !  Gimme a minute," she called back then hurried to finish her on duty errand, duly placing the tray in front of four card players, "Here ya are, boys. Enjoy!"    Turk nodded and just leaned with his back against the bar, watching her every move. She sure was as pretty as the last time they'd seen each other. He never took his eyes off her as she then approached and in a few seconds the two embraced in a quick but heartfelt hug.   "Turk! I had heard rumors you were dead," Caroline declared when they broke it up.   "Nope, I can truly assure you that I am not. Yer lookin' fine as always," he grinned.   Caroline looked past him for a moment, "Ralph, break out one of the good bottles and pour us two shots, will ya, hon?"    "Shit! How much that gonna cost me now?"  Turk knew her routine alright, they'd become friends in Helena when she worked a saloon there.   "Nah! On the house! I'm real glad ta see you again," Caroline then leaned into the bar next to him, they had some catching up to do alright.              
    • Four good men was all he needed, and Granger knew just the men for the job. Men that would kill anyone that threatened the ranch in any way, shape, or form. Of course, that went doe any number of of the Evergreen hands, the men he wanted would be the worst, and most dangerous of the hands Elias Steelgrave employed   The first one he ran on to was the stocky built Dutch, the only name they knew him by, but that was enough. He rode up next to the man, "Dutch, Mister Steelgrave has a job for you."   Dutch looked to him, knowing if the old man wanted him for a job it wouldn't be nurse maiding no cows. "Sure Granger, what's he got in mind?"   "Might be some Lost Lake men trailing Carson, they need to be stopped." It was quick and blunt.   "Right up my alley, Granger. Start now?" Dutch asked.   "I'll Get Treach, Watts, and Deckerd. Mister Steelgrave wants you boys to be sure they start it."    "Easy as pie. If you want I'll go for 'em, know right where they are and well just head that way." Dutch offered with a grin that was far from friendly.   "Sure Dutch, go ahead. Anything happens, you hightail it back here." Granger  replied to which Dutch nodded and spurred his horse.           Dutch                                      Treach                             Watts                       Deckerd
    • The conversation with Misses Thornton-Carlton had been informative, though she had not said when these hands from the Lost Lake would be in town for supplies. In New Mexico Territory they generally went once a month, unless they were in need of something or they got word an order had come in, which was rare, the Apaches saw to that. No one was willing to take the chance . But this here might be different. The Lost Lake was not so far from town as the Lazy S was to Lordsburg, nor as dangerous.   So, the hotel looked to be the place he'd stay until these hands rode in, and it would certainly give him a chance to meet some folks, like she said, see who his allies were. And from, what he had learned so far, the trouble ran deep between the Lost Lake and this Evergreen Ranch, and then toss in the son and his pack of animals. Things could get terminal real quick. This was shaping up to be far more than he had bargained for when he left New Mexico. But he was there now, so he could run, or stay, and Tyrell Thornton was not much for running.
    • Speed took the time to let Alice and her father know where he was going, and why, then mounted up and started out for the fort. He'd not been there, he had seen it in passing, and it was a welcome sight with the Indians out. He understood that the Military had no jurisdiction in town, and likely they might not be willing to help, yet, then again, they might. Protecting citizens was their job. And just because the ones Speed was asking them to protect were in town with active lawmen, A large contingent of outlaws  posed a significant threat.   The outlaws, be it Cases' gang or Elias' riders, or both together, it would be more than a handful lawmen could handle, even with the townsfolk defending their town. True, most had served in the War Between the States, but that had been over ten years ago, and true they had fought Indians and outlaws, yet these men were settled down now and past getting into gun trouble. And maybe it wouldn't come. Maybe Neither Steelgrave wanted to tangle with the town and it's people. Yet going to talk with the Army made sense, even if they couldn't really help out right then.

"Er, yeah, Clara's fine, and baby Arabella. Thanks for asking Miss Mundee," the young man replied, poor thing looked real nervous.

"She had the kid already?" Caroline was stunned, it was awful early for that given the last time she'd seen Jacob's young wife in the diner only a few days ago.

Whereas the boy looked rattled the same could not be said for his companion.

"Well Howdy, beautiful! Miss Monday is it? And as pretty every other day of the week too, I'm sure!" he drawled, bowing and sweeping his battered hat like a cavalier of old, doing his dusty best to ooze Southern charm.

"Yeah, I try to look this good every day of the week," smirked a bemused Caroline.

"Permit me to introduce myself, Mr. Clement Craddock of Kosse, Texas, Scrappy to my friends, perhaps you already know my esteemed partner in cowography, Mr Jesse Matthews..."

"Nope, but I knew a Clement back in Chicago once. Always liked that name," Caroline smiled.

"And my new friend Mr. Lutz, it seems, has the unbearable pleasure of being already acquainted with your glorious self."

That got a laugh from the veteran saloon gal, "Might want to go easy on the compliments there, Clement. Though I do appreciate the sentiment."

"Say Jake, Miss Monday looks thirsty, why don't you throw a drink into her, I mean, er, would you permit us to buy you some form of liquid refreshment, 'fair vison of my idyll'?"

"Sure thing, thanks hon," she of course took note the cowpoke from Texas wasn't paying but the poor hubby to Clara. Cheapskate this one.

"Ralph, I'll take my usual, thanks. And hey, don't charge young Mr. Lutz this one. It's on the house in honor of his newborn babe. Hope she's doin' well," Caroline offered.

"Sure thing," Ralph of course poured a whisky from Caroline's special bottle under the shelf, colored water, "Congrats, kid."

Kids having kids, thought Ralph.

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Jess wasn't much in the mood for anything, hardly even the drink, but the thought of the alcohol maybe relaxing him some, taking the edge of a little bit was tempting.  

Scrappy had ordered just what he needed so Jess just nodded his head. "Won't turn it down, sir." He said to the bartender as he heard this Caroline approach and greet them.  He didn't know her but it was obvious that she knew his cousin Jacob.  As he turned to see who was speaking and as he waited for his drink his eyes widened as he saw the beautiful girl that had approached.  Had the circumstances been different he wouldn't be able to tear his eyes away from the girl, but right now he wasn't much in the mood for anything.  He inclined his head towards the girl a bit, but what took his attention more than anything was learning that his cousin and his wife were about to have a baby.  

"A baby?" He couldn't help but smile in joy for his cousin, slapping his hand on his shoulder. "Can't believe you're gonna be a Pa." He leaned back in against the counter as Scrappy carried on with Caroline....no surprise and Jess didn't blame him at all.  He didn't want anyone else wallowing in his sorrow with him.  He thought about his own father as he imagined Jacob taking on the role. "You'll make a good one." He nudged him some the smile leaving his face.  

"All right?" he asked softly. Cousin Jake was the thoughtful member of the clan; he even used to write poetry, until his wife asked him to please stop it. "Hard, isn't it?" The death of his aunt had made him think about the death of his own mother all those years ago, when he and Jess were at school together, and how it had affected him at the time.

Jess nodded his head to his cousins question. "Yea, it is." He said low his head dropped. "I just wish I could change everything.  Wish I coulda gotten back in time and wish I could change Pa and Zenobia..." and then what hurt him possibly most of all besides his mothers death.... "and Raymond would hardly even speak to me.  I just know all this would hurt Ma something terrible." He lifted his head and looked at his cousin. "I'm not sittin' with 'em tomorrow at the funeral.  I'm gettin' there early and sittin' in the back." He wanted someone to know and he knew he'd tell his Aunt Nellie later when he got to her house.  

@Javia @Wayfarer

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Jess was predicably surprised that his younger cousin was married and that they were expecting a kid already.

"A baby?" He couldn't help but smile in joy for his cousin, slapping his hand on his shoulder. "Can't believe you're gonna be a Pa."

Jacob gave a bashful smile and refrained from mentioning that the conception of the baby came a little before, and was one of the catalysts to, the marriage. Not that mattered: he was married to the woman he loved, no matter what the complications. Baby Arabella Blank was just an added bonus. Jacob did feel a slight urge to assure Jess that they would name the baby after the bereaved son's recently deceased mother, if it was a girl, but he was sensible enough never to promise anything Clara might not approve of.

"You'll make a good one." He nudged him some the smile leaving his face.

"I hope so." nodded Jake, and he meant that. Of course, 'making a good father' in those days meant something a little different than centuries later: putting food on the table, clothes on backs and setting a good moral example and making sure that children grew up well mannered, useful to society and good Christians was about the sum of it.

Jess told Jacob how he felt about his woeful family situation.

"I just wish I could change everything. Wish I coulda gotten back in time and wish I could change Pa and Zenobia..." and then what hurt him possibly most of all besides his mothers death.... "and Raymond would hardly even speak to me.  I just know all this would hurt Ma something terrible."

Jacob shrugged. "Zenobia's just Zenobia, I guess." Well, that was the extent of his philosophical evaluation of his stormy petrel of a cousin. "Ray'll come round, he's just piggy in the middle right now." he offered. Of his Uncle Abraham he offered no mitigating remarks. 

He lifted his head and looked at his cousin. "I'm not sittin' with 'em tomorrow at the funeral.  I'm gettin' there early and sittin' in the back." He wanted someone to know and he knew he'd tell his Aunt Nellie later when he got to her house.  

Jacob nodded glumly. He wasn't exactly looking forward to the funeral anyway, of course, the thought that a fight might break out made it even more of a potential ordeal: the diabolical chemical combination of Abraham, Jess, Zenobia, and granny Nellie was an almost terrifying prospect when he thought that his pregnant wife and his sickly sister Leonora would both be present.

Then the alluring Miss Mundee started to compliment him on the birth of Baby Arabella, damn!, Baby Blank. Some crossed wires.

"Ralph, I'll take my usual, thanks. And hey, don't charge young Mr. Lutz this one. It's on the house in honor of his newborn babe. Hope she's doin' well," Caroline offered.

"Sure thing," Ralph of course poured a whisky from Caroline's special bottle under the shelf, colored water, "Congrats, kid."

"Oh! No! Er... the baby's still inside the, erm... tummy." he said lamely. "She's not coming out until, er, well, it's quite a space. And, erm, Arabella thinks we're gonna call her after her but, well, I reckon there's only one Arabella!" he grinned sheepishly. Funnily enough, the madcap Arabella they both knew was a million miles from the sensitive Miss Mudd who had just helped Jess with the difficult duty of visiting his mother's body. 

@Wayfarer @MD

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Jess knew there won't no hoping for his cousin Jacob.  He was going to be a good Pa and he knew it.   

As he went on about his family, saying that Ray was feeling stuck in the middle, well he felt awful about that.  he didn't want his younger brother feeling that way and he'd make sure to let him know that he didn't have to be stuck in the middle on his account.  But he supposed that poor Ray was trying to make everyone happy.  What a load to carry.  He'd have to get back by there to see the boy.  Maybe tonight when everyone else was sleeping, or maybe Jacob would take him a message to come by Aunt Nellie's to visit.  Yea, that was probably better.  He'd talk to him about that later though.

As he started talking to Miss Mundee about his wife and calling her Arabella his brow pulled together.  He had married that young girl at the funeral palor?  The thought blurted from his mouth.....

"The girl from the funeral pallor?" He questioned Jacob in the middle of his nervous explanation to Miss Mundee.

@Javia @Wayfarer

• Love 1

"Oh! No! Er... the baby's still inside the, erm... tummy." Jacob now explained. 

Caroline frowned, "What the hell?"

"She's not coming out until, er, well, it's quite a space. And, erm, Arabella thinks we're gonna call her after her but, well, I reckon there's only one Arabella!" he grinned sheepishly.

"Yeah she is but don't name a baby Arabella, it's a horrid name," Caroline advised, as if this boy cared what she thought.

"The girl from the funeral parlor?" asked the other man.

"Yeah, she used to work here. She played the piano for my act and also did lots of chores around the place. But she up and quit us," Caroline explained, the tone of her voice indicating she was not happy about that turn of events.

@Javia  @MD

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"Yeah she is but don't name a baby Arabella, it's a horrid name," Caroline advised, as if this boy cared what she thought.

Jacob frowned. Was Caroline mad at their mutual friend?

"The girl from the funeral parlor?" asked the other man.

"Yeah, Arabella... Arabella Mudd. She introduced me to my wife, Clara." Jacob informed Jess, hopefully clearing up any unfortunate misunderstandings on that score.

"Yeah, she used to work here. She played the piano for my act and also did lots of chores around the place. But she up and quit us," Caroline explained, the tone of her voice indicating she was not happy about that turn of events.

Again, young Lutz's brows contracted. He had actually asked Arabella what the saloon folk had thought of her leaving and she had replied, in her usual breezy way, 'oh, they're just thrilled to bits for me; it's a blow to lose me, of course, but they know it's bringing me one step closer to fulfilling my dreams!' or some such talk. Jacob thought Arabella's chances of becoming an actress in Kalispell, let alone New York, had about as much chance as a snowball in Hell, but admired her for keeping on trying, whereas he had given up his aspirations to be the next Longfellow at the first negative review of his verses (from a certain Miss Redmond, it so happened).

The normally shy Jacob actually met Caroline's eyes for once. "Are you mad at her for leaving this place?" he asked half inquisitively, half defensively on behalf of the dark haired waif. He hadn't really meant the 'this place' part to sound disparaging, but it did.

Scrappy immediately felt a little chill in the air (if only someone would buy him another tot of redeye to keep him warm) and tried to ameliorate it with a smile to Jess. "Us cowpunchers start and leave jobs at the drop of a ten gallon hat, ain't that right Jess, m'boy?" 

@MD @Wayfarer

• Like 1

Jess had definitely misunderstood, he thought Jacob was married to the Arabella at first, but his cousin cleared that right up.  He couldn't wait to meet Jacob's wife, Clara...whom he felt confident he hadn't met before.  But he was horrible with names, so maybe he would see her and recognize her.

Jess felt some odd tension between his cousin and Caroline.  He wasn't sure what to think of it so he sipped on his beer.  He looked past Jacob and down to Scrappy when he spoke.

"Us cowpunchers start and leave jobs at the drop of a ten gallon hat, ain't that right Jess, m'boy?" 

"Yep, got that right, Scrap....no need to get too attached to anyone, unless you find a good buddy to up and leave with ya, like we did." He laughed a bit, addressing both his friend, Jacob and Caroline.  Seemed maybe Caroline had gotten attached to the girl and she was upset she left?  Or maybe she was upset that they were short staffed?  Or ... he didn't know.  He shrugged a shoulder as he leaned into the counter....his mind occupied by where he should go once he left the bar.  Raymond or Aunt Nelly.

@Javia @Wayfarer

• Love 1

"Are you mad at her for leaving this place?" Jacob now asked, it was quite obvious he picked up on the annoyance in Caroline's tone of voice.

"None of yer business how I feel about what she done. Besides, she already up and did it. Nothing I can do about it is there?" the saloon girl huffed.

The two cowpokes chimed right in.

"Us cowpunchers start and leave jobs at the drop of a ten gallon hat, ain't that right Jess, m'boy?" 

"Yep, got that right, Scrap....no need to get too attached to anyone, unless you find a good buddy to up and leave with ya, like we did."

Caroline looked almost like she was going to snap back at the pair but she paused, these were customers after all and she was on the job.  She prided herself on being a professional  even if most regular folk looked down on her profession.

"Well then, it seems Arabella thinks the same way you gents do about such things," she then shrugged and plastered on a best customer smile, "So any of you wanna another drink. Or maybe buy me one, my mouth is feelin' a little dry."

@Javia @MD

• Liked your post, Pard! 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Well then, it seems Arabella thinks the same way you gents do about such things," she then shrugged and plastered on a best customer smile, "So any of you wanna another drink. Or maybe buy me one, my mouth is feelin' a little dry."

Scrappy pushed his hat back on his head and then scratched the back of his neck, the way he always did when he was feeling a mite hornswoggled by a beautiful woman. He didn't know who the dickens this Ara-belladonna woman was, but she seemed to be a bone of contention around these parts and he vowed to avoid her even more assiduously than he'd vowed to steer clear of Jess's cantankerous sister Zenobia, whom he had met for the first, and hopefully last, time today. 

He and Jess had blown a good deal of their bankroll on buying the remuda to get them here as quickly as possible and funds were short, and he'd scrounged about as much as he was likely to scrounge off Jess' cousin, so he reluctantly took off his hat and pulled a couple of notes from within and gave them to Ralph.

"Whatever the pretty lady wants, Mister." he said to the bearded custodian of the beer-pumps and the stoppered bottles.

"And can we talk about something nice instead of this Arid-bella girl. Like: when do we get to hear you sing, oh nightingale of the North?" the Texan asked Caroline. 

Jacob had had enough of wasteful expenditure on alcohol, Scrappy's borrowing and Caroline's scornful tone about Arabella, so he nudged Jess.

"Say, why don't we leave your sagebrush Casanova here and I'll take you back to ours to meet Clara?" he suggested.

@MD @Wayfarer

• Liked your post, Pard! 1
  • Like 1

Jess had had a belly full of this too.  He was relieved when Jacob suggested they go and he could meet Clara.  He nodded, threw back the last of the beer he had in his glass, sitting it back down on the counter.  

"That sounds nice." He agreed and glancing down to Scrappy he raised a brow.  "You good if I go off with Jacob for a bit?  I'll catch up with you later." 

This little bit of conversation and drinks had helped him to get his mind off of his Ma and everything going on with his family.  It was crazy how it only took a couple hours back in Kalispell to remind him...not that he really needed it...why he had left.  

@Javia @Wayfarer

• Love 1

Now that it was agreed that Jacob and Jess would go and meet his wife Clara Jess was relieved for some reason.  He didn't know why really, just too much on his mind and it was loud in there.

Once outside and walking with Jacob, his head down as he stared at his steps.

"So what's Clara like?  Would I have known her from before I left?" He was trying to place the girl but he just couldn't.

@Javia @Wayfarer

"That sounds nice." He agreed and glancing down to Scrappy he raised a brow.  "You good if I go off with Jacob for a bit?  I'll catch up with you later." 

"Sure!" replied scrappy, with perhaps a little too much alacrity - he was enjoying Caroline's company but it was loaded with guilt, he felt he should be more miserable in Jess's company!

Once outside and walking with Jacob, his head down as he stared at his steps.

"So what's Clara like?  Would I have known her from before I left?" He was trying to place the girl but he just couldn't.

"Nah, her Pa moved here about the time you left. if you'd ever seen her, you wouldn't forget her, she's beautiful. The second I saw her, I fell in love with her, Jess. Then one night we were both at a hoe-down and, well, I would never haver have dared ask her for a dance, but Arabella introduced us and practically ordered us to dance together." he recalled with a misty look in his eyes.

As they neared the diner, he did issue a warning, though: "Course, if it's busy in the diner, she might not be able to talk much right now." Clara could be a little short if you started trying to chat to her when she was overwhelmed with customers, understandably.

@MD @Wayfarer

• Made Me Laugh! 1

The subject of the two young men's conversation had indeed put in quite a busy day but the main rush was over.  She tended to sell less soup during the hot summer days but the meat pies were still a favorite.  And of course people always came in regularly for the bakery, it was what had built Emeline's sterling reputation and it was fortunate Clara both enjoyed and was a fine baker herself.

She had just taken a customer's payment and was slipping the coins into the money box below the shelf top when there was the ever familiar tinkle of the front bell as the main entry door to the place opened up. Of course that got her attention. Oh there was her beloved Jacob. They were still recently enough married that the mere sight of him brought a flutter within, she loved him dearly and her one nagging worry was that he might someday not feel the same about her.

A few more months and their baby would arrive and then the couple would be a threesome. Jacob seemed excited about it but she was definitely eager to be an actual mother. Of course her own mother had been perfect, Clara doubted she could ever be that good but she would do her best. It was sad her mother would never be able to cast her eyes on what would have been her grandchild.

All these thoughts and hopes and indeed worries vanished as she smiled at her handsome husband - Clara had never really been known for smiling period until ........well, until she met Jacob, oh and Emeline too. Now as for the fellow with Jacob, she did not recognize him at all? Doubtful he was a local. He looked like a cowpoke, not surprising in this part of the world.

She let them approach and waited respectfully for her husband to open the conversation.

dickinson-seaosn-3-premiere-emily.webp

• Love 1

Jacob didn't have to be away from Clara for too long for him to be amazed that she was his wife when he saw her again.

Was this gorgeous, wonderful creature really married to him?! He had to pinch himself each time he saw her to convince himself it was real. But there she was, smiling at him with those welcome home eyes. 

"Clara, I want you to meet my cousin Jess, Jess Matthews. He's my Aunt Hildie's other son, Raymond and Zenobia's brother." he explained. Clara would have been aware of the recent fatality in the family and, though the sister Zenobia kept herself pretty much to herself, the boy Raymond was a familiar sight running local telegrams for Western Union or helping out at Arabella's new employer, Jolly's Funeral Parlour. 

He didn't mention Jess' truculent and troubled Father, Abraham Matthews, the town's unreliable barber.

"Jess, this is my clever, beautiful and amazingly talented wife, Clara."

@MD @Wayfarer

[OOC: thought I'd better jump in there]