• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Ain't hardly nothin' to do but hunker down till she blows herself out." The man squatted, "Rance, is the name. Been watchin' you, doin' a fine job. You'll do Wheeler, you'll do. Try and get some rest, might end up bein' a long night. Least you won't be ridin' drag come daylight, there's a plus for ya."   He stood and made his way to his shelter to await the grub that was coming.   @Bongo
    • Meanwhile, in the main house, Reb Culverson was visiting with his old friend Fightin' Joe Hooker, who was the ramrod for the fledgling Montana Territory Stockgrowers Association, Northern District. He was there to convince ranchers to join and support the organization, hoping it would take root.   "And just what good is this here association ya got started?" Reb asked.   "It'll give us a voice in the territorial government, Reb, that's what it'll do. Once that happens we'll be able to git us some sortta range police to protect the herds, and the ranchers." Hooker responded. "Rustlin' might not be the threat it was, but you know as well as me, it can come back."   "You get anywhere with Lost Lake, 'er that cow thief on the Evergreen?" Reb asked.   "Can't say as I have, startin' with the smaller spreads an' workin' my way up to them two. I'm well aware of both spreads, and the men that own 'em."   -------------0------------   They swept down out of the trees whooping and hollering and firing off a couple of shots as they closed on both sides of a big group of cattle, just as they had planned. The  lone night hawk knew he had no chance of stopping the raiders, or of saving the cattle while he watched the chunk of the herd moving toward and then into the trees at a run.  He emptied his Colt at the raiders, the whipped out his Winchester  and levered several shots in the area where they had disappeared.   He could not know that one of his shots had found its mark. A man that had just joined took a slug in his back and toppled from his horse. Toole and the men continued to drive the cattle toward the dry riverbed as planned. It was an acceptable loss.   The sound of the shots, mere pops at the distance to the main house and the bunk house alerted everyone, and men boiled out of the bunk house guns in hand, only to watch the night man shooting after the rustlers.
    • Out on the boardwalk they stopped, "So we managed ta git a deal right off, thet's good, it is. Now all we gotta do is convince ol' Wentworth to free up the money so's ya don't have ta use yers right off." Amos commented, "Seems a fair deal but like you say, minin's not no sure thing."   "John and Mary are good folks. It's not a sure thing, but you saw the vein, went to the floor and it looks rich," Speed responded. "And it looks to be wider where they stopped digging. I can't wait to get it assayed to see what we've really got our hands on."   "And it should assay out pretty good from the looks of it, though I know so little about copper ore." Alice admitted.   "Well, you saw the copper ore, which is clearly distinguishable from the surrounding rock due to its reddish, mottled appearance. And that surrounding rock is granite which is not easy to work, but it can be done, and, if we have hit it, the veins could be as much as a mile long, a mile wide, and a mile deep!" Speed explained with a grin. "With that equipment we'll be able to not only dig deeper, we'll be able to tunnel, and we have the property to do just that."   "Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!" Amos exclaimed. Might oughtta buy up what ground ya can aound 'er, jest ta be certain!"   "First things first, let get on up to the bank." Speed suggested.
    • Justus was more than happy to have a chance to get out of the bulk of the wind, although he knew this was far from over.  And he knew they'd be hacking up dirt for days.     With the picket lines set, he moved over to help put up the shelters for the night, pretty quickly deciding that it was a fool's errand...they were all going to be miserable until this let up.   Squinting, he looked out toward the herd, not able to see but a few in the dust, it looked like they had been swallowed by the big, dirty cloud, and weren't even there.  In fact, he had the eerie sensation that all that was left in the world was this small circle of men and horses.   "Ya need me ta do anythin' else?" he called over the din of the wind.   @Flip
    • Doc Gilcrest walked into the bunck house to see Carson on his feet, dressed. "I may not be able to ride, but I can darn sure walk some. Tired of layin' in that bed."   "I reckon you kin do thet, sure 'nough. No body said ya had ta lie there if'n ya didn't want to. Yer stitched up plenty good. Jest leave thet hog leg where she's hangin' fer now, don't need the weight in thet wound."   "So anybody come sniffin' around?" He asked.   "Not so's you'd notice. There's four men down there keepin' watch, but it don't look like Lost Lake's lost any sleep over their man, that is if'n they even know he's gone." Gilcrest offered.   "He seen that brand an' went ta shootin'!" Carson reflected. "I jest shot straighter. Had no choice in the matter. Fool could'a rode on, but, well, that just ain't what happened. Hell of a mess."   "Oh I dunno. So far nobodies come huntin', the boss ain't upset over it, neither's Granger, so you got nothin' ta worry on 'cept gettin' better."   "I should'a been more careful, but maybe there just wasn't no way to be more careful. Up on the side of that mountain is the purdiest view a man could look at. You can see fer miles, see right where they got them cows of theirs. Now that ain't gonna be no easy matter to get to any of 'em. They're deep on Lost Lake range. Gonna be hard to get at, an' worse to get out. We'll lose some men tryin' this one, that's for sure!'   Gilcrest rubbed his chin. It wasn't like Carson to go on about the prospects of a job.

Posted (edited)

Mature Content: Doubt it

With: Tyrell Garret Thornton
When: Late-July, Early August 1876
Time of Day: Encompasses a few days

content-divider.png

Like any good cattleman, he mounted his horse to ride to the newspaper office, not all that far away. As they would say, 'if it can't be done from a horse, it can't be done.' A misnomer, as many of the things that wranglers did were not done from horseback, but with both feet on the ground.

It had been interesting in the saloon, even though he had expected some doubt as to his legitimacy as a Thornton relative. They didn't know him from Adam, no more than he knew this Sarah Carlton-Thornton, but here was his first opportunity to meet a relative. He welcomed it, and hoped that she would accept the telegram as proof that he was in fact related.

Stepping down in front of the office with Kalispell Union emblazoned on the window. Flipping his reins over the hitch rail, he stepped up on the boardwalk and stepped to the door, spurs jingling. He then opened the door and went inside.

"What can I do for you, Mister?" Phin asked.

"Names Thornton, Tyrell Thornton. Lookin' for a Sara Thornton." Ty explained.

"Well Mister Thornton, Sarah's out of the office as you can see, but I do expect her back at any time. I take it yu're related?"

"I am, well, I believe I am. Shade Thornton is my cousin, and he asked me to come up and lend a hand with a Quentin Cantrell."

Phin smiled. "Well sir, I suppose folks around here would like to see Shade Thornton again, when did you see him?" Was Phin's question.

"Didn't. He sent this here telegram." Ty replied taking out the missive and handing it to the newspaper man. "Haven't seen him in years, since we was boys."

Phin took the paper and read it, then looked up at Ty. "Well, I guess maybe Sarah, Misses Thornton- Carlton, will vouch for you. Doubt you'd know Cantrell."

"No sir, wouldn't know either of 'em, but I'm here now and I plan to meet up with this Cantrell fella and see what's what." Ty admitted. Now in the west a man was who he said he was unless it could be proved he wasn't. Phin knew this, and the man was making no claims to the Lost Lake Ranch, in fact he said he was in Kalispell to lend a hand.

"Well, I'm sure Sarah will be along shortly." Phin said.

image.jpeg.416d5001abfdf3be7fcfc6e8775a8bee.jpeg

@JulieS

Edited by Flip
Change Dates (see edit history)

Returning from having luncheon with Pastor and Mrs. Evans, Sarah was looking forward to spending the rest of the afternoon, finishing writing an article on the progress of the White Rose Theatre.  It was small considering the theatres she had frequented while living in San Francisco, but big enough for the town the size of Kalispell.  Ben Simons was looking having seating for about one hundred people, which in itself was an optimistic number.

Visiting local community leaders was one of the tasks Phin often sent her to.  She suspected that listening to the humble (sometimes inane) going ons around town was not to his liking but she wouldn't mention it to him. A smile appeared on her face at the thought of Phin dining with the local ladies society and enduring their chatter about who was courting who and who had just had a baby.

Opening the door to the Union office, she saw a stranger at the counter talking to Phin.  The stranger didn't look like a threat but these days you never knew who was who and most importantly which side they were on.  Although, some claimed to be neutral, she was finding that deep down that wasn't the case.

Going over to the hat stand, she took off her coat and placed it on one of the hooks.  As for her hat, she would unpin it when she was seated at her desk.  Walking past the man, she smiled before turning to Phin, "You'll be glad to know that Pastor Evans said that the church board will be taking out an advertisement in next week's newspaper, to advertise the fundraising dance they plan to hold at the end of August."

@Flip

Before Phin could say a word the stranger spoke up, "You would be Misses Carlton, A Thornton I believe? We are related somehow. I am Tyrell Garret Thornton, son of  Abner Garret Thornton, brother of James Caleb Thornton and Robert Thornton, and, Millicent Ann Lattimore my mother. Cousin to Shade." The pause was brief as he continued,

"I have this telegram from him asking me to come here   from New Mexico territory to lend a hand as needed with a Quentin Cantrell on his Lost Lake Ranch> I believe you and I have met maybe fifteen years ago, or more."He smiled. "I seem to be doubted, though I suppose that was to be expected." once again drawing out the yellow paper.

Phin just stood there slack jawed.

@JulieS

Sarah took a good look at the man.  It was true that she had a cousin called Tyrell but she hadn't seen him in years and having only met him briefly when they were all much younger it was hard to tell.  Most of the men in the Thornton family that she knew were clean-shaven including Shade, so it was proving a little bit more difficult to confirm if this was really her cousin.

What she did know was that Shade had sent for Tyrell almost a year ago.  Apparently, there had been trouble with the Steelgraves back then and Shade was looking at getting all the help he could.  Since the troubles between the Thorntons and Steelgraves had subsided and on the surface everything looked fine.  However, Shade must have been worried about something as he was frequently disappearing.  Sometimes he would turn up for a short before going off again.  She asked Mike Wentworth, the foreman at Lost Lake, how Shade was and if she could help out in any way.  Mike's response that he was just as in the dark as she was.  All he knew was that Shade wanted him to help keep the ranch going until such a time when he would be back permanently, if at all.

Now, if there was only a way she could be sure about the man she was looking at.  If he truly was her cousin Tyrell, then at least she could rest easy knowing that there was another Thornton around to keep an eye on Lost Lake.

As she continued to study the man, she could see something familiar about him but she needed more just to be certain.  She smiled, "I hope you don't mind if you could tell me something more about yourself?  I need to be more certain before I can say for sure that you are my cousin Tyrell.  In fact I am hoping that you are as Shade needs all the help he can get."

@Flip

Posted (edited)

"Ma'am, I didn't ride from Lordsburg without bein' who I say I am. Now as to knowin' a sight of Thotnton's, I'm sorry I just don't. Once Ma and Pa were gone, well, I just sort of moved on. Lost track of those I did know, including Shade." He revealed,

"Now wait, was you to John Caleb Thornton's funeral, Shade's Pa? I believe that might well have been when I met you." He asked. "Sad day that was, Uncle John Caleb was my favorite Uncle. Anyway, that'd be the best I can do. The years have muddled some memories I had."

@JulieS

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Sarah sighed, "I'm sorry but I have to be sure considering all the troubles the Thorntons have had with the Steelgraves in the past.  Getting someone to pose as a long-lost Thornton relative would be something that Elias Steelgrave is capable of doing. Mr. McVey can also attest to this as well as all of the other things that the Steelgraves are suspected of doing."

She thought over his comment about being at Uncle John's funeral, "You might be confusing me with my mother who attended Uncle John's funeral with my father, Robert.  I was in San Francisco at that time."

A frown appeared on her face.  Part of her wanted him to be her cousin.  "There's one more possibility.  I did meet my cousin Tyrell briefly at the end of the visit we paid to Lost Lake back in '58.  I was about 15 years old then.  We all got on rather well if I remember rightly, and Shade took us all to one of his favourite spots on the ranch.  It's something that wouldn't be common knowledge.  If you could remember where that was, then I will know that you are my cousin Tyrell."

@Flip

Phin sort of shook his head, but Sarah had a point about making sure he was who he said he was, and for the very reasons she stated, about the Steelgraves in particular. It was something Elias might pull just to infiltrate the ranch.  "She's right, mister, this hornets nest hasn't been stirred up for a while, but I wouldn't count on it for long."

"Well I'll be, I do remember that, kinda. I mean I was a pup, maybe seventeen, last year before Ma & Pa passed on. Lemme think on it a bit," He said. Yeah well, the house sits right close to Lost Lake itself, but Shade, he liked this other one, a like I mean. We rode sown the stream as I recall." He paused.

"Lake was about the same size, but there were caves as I recall, and that's why he liked it so much, yeah, he like to camp out over there, go huntin' an' such. Least ways, that's how I remember it. Lord, that was a while back." Then Ty smiled and shook his head as the memories flooded back. "So, that's how I remember it."

Sarah smiled as she remembered the trip to the caves.  The caves weren't common knowledge as there were still some areas on the ranch that people rarely went to.  So she decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that he was indeed her cousin Tyrell.  Besides, if it proved to be all trick then the man would have to deal with both Shade and Quentin.

She held out her hand, "Welcome to Kalispell, cousin Tyrell.  I hope we can get to know each other better while you are here."

"I suppose you will be wanting to get out to the ranch as soon as possible.  I recommend that you wait a day or so until some of the hands come to town as it wouldn't be very wise to show up unannounced.  Lost Lake usually sends out men for supplies once or twice a week and I can introduce you to them."

@Flip

"Truth be told Cousin, I'm for a good meal here in town, and a night in a real bed. Then, yes, I'd like to head out and meet this Quentin Cantrell." He said, adding: "Whatever's been the problem to this point, it'll wait another few hours." He smiled. "Unless of course these Steelgrave's strike the town while I'm here." And he chuckled.

"Well Mister Thornton, what you wouldn't know is that old man Steelgrave has a good twenty to thirty riders, and there's rumor that his son Case is back in the area with a dozen or more riders, outlaws all, and if they should ban together, that will be a real problem. Of course, last I knew they didn't get along." Phin explained, "Sarah? What do think about them reconciling? I can it could be possible." He was not sure what she knew or didn't know to this point.

Ty looked to her, maybe this was a whole lot more than he thought it was.

@JulieS

"Truth be told Cousin, I'm for a good meal here in town, and a night in a real bed. Then, yes, I'd like to head out and meet this Quentin Cantrell." He said, adding: "Whatever's been the problem to this point, it'll wait another few hours." He smiled. "Unless of course these Steelgrave's strike the town while I'm here." And he chuckled.

"I doubt if they will ever strike the town.  However, the outlying small ranches and farms will be targets, especially if Elias Steelgrave wants to own more land," she replied.

"Well Mister Thornton, what you wouldn't know is that old man Steelgrave has a good twenty to thirty riders, and there's rumor that his son Case is back in the area with a dozen or more riders, outlaws all, and if they should ban together, that will be a real problem. Of course, last I knew they didn't get along." Phin explained, "Sarah? What do think about them reconciling? I can it could be possible." He was not sure what she knew or didn't know to this point.

Ty looked to her, maybe this was a whole lot more than he thought it was.

"I'm afraid, Phinn is right.  If the rumours are true then it will be a battle.  As for them reconciling...well anything is possible."

Sarah paused for a moment and then said, "I suppose you probably don't know why the Steelgraves and the Thorntons are at loggerheads with each other since you haven't been in touch with the family for so long. I, myself only know how and why it all started.  Shade told me some of it but it wasn't much as he didn't want to concern me too much about it.  There are various stories going around but only Shade can tell you the full story and I'm not sure how much that will be."

@Flip

"Really don't matter much how it started, it's about where it goes from here that matters." Ty replied, "But things shorely don't sound none too good. But then, it's hard to tell what might or might not come of it." It seemed as if there was not cut and dried 'this is what will happen' about the whole situation.

"So, how's this burg fixed for law?" He asked thinking it was a tall order to stand against what sounded like fifty riders. And her doubted that any force would try the town. Not with men who had fought in the war, and against Indians and Outlaws on their move west.

@JulieS

"This town does have a good and reliable Marshall.  Speed Guyer has kept a firm hand on this town ever since he took over."

Sarah, for a moment, thought about who would come to the Marshall's aide, if Case Steelgrave decided to try his hand at causing trouble in Kalispell.  "The Marshall does have a couple of deputies - one called Pike who is away on his honeymoon.  The other is Charlie Wentworth, who only just started a few months ago.  I can also say that if something big were to happen there would be a good number of men who would come running to help."

@Flip

"Well now, I figgered as much. Mostly folks tend to defend what's theirs." Ty said. "These Steelgraves sound like a shifty lot, meaning hard to figger their next move, if there's a move to figger out. "

"Well now, to this point the riders of the Evergreen did come to town once to spring Case Steelgrave, but got no where, and started no real trouble. I mean, there was a number of men who backed the marshal and his deputies." Phin added, "Oh, and there's a couple of Territorial Marshals about, left here by the Governor to lend a hand as needed."

"Sounds like I've landed in a sidewinders nest if ever I had." Ty reacted. "So then, cousin Sarah, what appears to be the main beef between the two families? I doubt I'll be runnin' on to Shade any time soon, though I'd surely like too. Sounds to me like one killed one of the others, or stole land 'er cattle, 'er some such.

Phin smiled, it was not like there would be too many other reasons for the feud, and he actually had never heard the particulars of just what caused it in the first place, or he'd heard rumors, but nothing that was ever very clear.

image.jpeg.46170afaa305f34ac39ffe9e4cd8b29f.jpeg

@JulieS

"The beef started before the war when Shade killed Calvin Steelgrave, Elias' son," Sarah answered, "And as you can guess Elias has held a grudge ever since."

She sighed heavily, "Some people even think that he had something to do with the killing of Chance, Regina, and two of their children.  There's also been a number squirmishes, ambushes and fights over the years between Evergreen and Lost Lake.  Things, from what I understand, can be quiet at times with nothing much happening but no-one, not even Shade knows how long, or if they will ever last."

A concern look came upon her face, "Shade has been acting odd for quite some time now.  He'll disappear for ages and then re-appear long enough to make some plans about the ranch before going off again.  He was rather sweet on the local schoolteacher, Miss Bowen and I asked if she had any idea of what Shade might be up to but she is in the dark just like the rest of us."

@Flip

"Dark seems to be the place around here. Ain't a lot of information comin' my way on this deal, but I expect I'll learn as I go, and what's what'll reveal itself soon enough." Ty said, "But I can undertand a feud runnin' that deep. Seen it before elsewhere. And you're right, we could use Shade here to help clear this up, but, I reckon Cantrell fella set things straight .

It would seem that the killing of a son some fifteen years ago might just cool off , but that is not how things presented themselves. There was not any outright fighting being reported, but from what Sarah was saying it could explode just about any time. As if this Thornton-Steelgrave feud was a powder keg and everyone involved was holding a match.

"Now I'm not sayin' that you've not been real helpful to this point, cuz you have, but the rest of them I spoke with said nothing of use." He continued. "Shame to have this here reunion because of this, but seein' you again has been real nice. Guess I just got myself dug in down in Lordsburg and lost track of everyone. Didn't know about Chance and his family, I do remember 'em, but that too was sometime back, before they had young 'uns, I believe."

@JulieS

"Yes, they did.  Cody and Nettie are now six years old," Sarah answered, "They both live at the lodge on Lost Lake. Thankfully, they are being taken care of by Mrs. Miller...the housekeeper when Shade isn't there."

A frown appeared on her face, "I wish I knew what Shade is up to but I guess my being a woman has something to do with it.  Hopefully, Shade will tell you what's going on...that's when he turns up again."

She took a deep breath to help lift up her spirits, "Well, I guess you would be wanting to get to the hotel and freshen up after your long journey.  Maybe we can have dinner tonight to catch up with the happenings in both of our families."

@Flip

"Yes Ma'am. Haven't slept in a bed in some time, and I am tired of my own cooking, so a hot meal sounds real good along about now." Ty said with a smile. "As far as Shade goes, I have no idea where he is, nor what he's up too, other than the telegram." It was a mystery to be sure, and she was not the only one wondering where Shade Thornton was, and what it was that kept him from his ranch.

"Are you now in town? I ask because I thought we might have breakfast if you took your meals here in town, before I ride out to see Cantrell on the ranch."

"Yes, I have small one bedroom cottage in the residential area on the southside of town.  I don't even have a barn, if I did I would surely offer you a place to stay but I think you would appreciate a good bed to lie in.  The Belle St. Regis is a nice place to stay and it might be a day or two before you can go to Lost Lake.  As I mentioned before, it would be advisable for you to wait and go with some of the hands.  With all of the tension, a stranger turning up unannounced might not get a good welcome."

Sarah smiled, "As for meals, I will be happy to share them with you until. You could use your time in town effectively by getting to know more about what the situation is like. You should get to know who your allies are just in case.  Also, there are some people who know more about the history between the Steelgraves and Thorntons than I do."

@Flip

Posted (edited)

"Guess you're right about just showin' up at the ranch like that." He agree, and that is kind of you, but I've cash put by for this trip I've made. The hotel does sound good. And the local fare? Which is the best place to eat. Lookin' for big steak dinner I am. Been sometime since I was able to get somethin' like that. It was a trip to remember, long, hard, and with every temperature you could imagine."

It had been that and a bit more. There had been Molly McGuire, he was missing her, but Kalispell would not be the place for her if all that had been said came to fruition between Lost Lake and the Evergreen. He had waltzed in on what could be a real corpse and cartridge affair, and one that went on an on til they forgot what it was about, or who started it.

"I appreciate your offer, and your council about town and holdin' off till the ranch hands were in town. I'll do just that.

@JulieS

Edited by Flip (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

The conversation with Misses Thornton-Carlton had been informative, though she had not said when these hands from the Lost Lake would be in town for supplies. In New Mexico Territory they generally went once a month, unless they were in need of something or they got word an order had come in, which was rare, the Apaches saw to that. No one was willing to take the chance . But this here might be different. The Lost Lake was not so far from town as the Lazy S was to Lordsburg, nor as dangerous.

So, the hotel looked to be the place he'd stay until these hands rode in, and it would certainly give him a chance to meet some folks, like she said, see who his allies were. And from, what he had learned so far, the trouble ran deep between the Lost Lake and this Evergreen Ranch, and then toss in the son and his pack of animals. Things could get terminal real quick. This was shaping up to be far more than he had bargained for when he left New Mexico. But he was there now, so he could run, or stay, and Tyrell Thornton was not much for running.

Stepping out of the newspaper Office, Ty turned and And headed up toward the sign, "Lickskillet Cafe." He was fond of the small cafe's as opposed to the larger restaurants in hotels, which he was aware of Kalispell having. He would try it of course, and he would stop in the saloon which he passed on his way to the cafe.

There were mountains, and there were tress everywhere, unlike the Lazy S. It was cooler of course, and there was moisture in the air, also unlike life on the Lazy S. He was acclimated from traversing nearly the length of the state. He liked this place, he liked the feel of the town without knowing anything of it's history early or recent, though he was about to find out more of what was going on.

He stepped through the door to the friendly tinkle of the bell announcing his arrival. There were folks about, but there were tables vacant as well. He located one near the back of the room and took a seat. This just might be his kind of place.

@Wayfarer and anyone.

Clara looked up from pouring some steaming coffee into a customer's cup, just to see who might be the newest customer coming in. He was new alright, she had never seen the fellow before and she had a sharp memory for faces. A cowpoke by the look of him. That was neither good nor bad but it was a common enough sight in Kalispell. As she finished clearing away the customer's plate while he sipped his post meal coffee, the young brunette noticed the newcomer had gone and seated himself in the back of the room. And that was just fine, she well knew the fancy restaurants back east always had someone whose job it was to seat the customers. Well, not at the LickSkillet, she was normally manning the place all by herself with assistance some days from Lucinda.

It took but a couple minutes more before Clara approached the new customer who was keeping himself occupied by apparently studying the day's menu on the big chalkboard.

"Good day, sir. Welcome to the Lick Skillet Diner.  How may I help you?" she reached into her apron and pulled out a notepad and pencil to take down any possible order.

@Flip

"Howdy, Ma'am, well, lookin' at your chalkboard there, I'll have a beef steak, if you got 'em with either taters 'e bean an a slab of bread, butter too, if ya have it." He ordered, " Nice place ya got here. I like the small places. Not sure why, but I do. Big ones, well, just not as friendly."

He liked to look of the place how it was set up. they had done a nice job of having it open and warm at the same time. He would be in here often. There was no doubt that a place like this had good food, and he couldn't wait to try the coffee. His was good, but always seemed to pale to cafe coffee.

"Name's Tyrell Thornton." He said

@Wayfarer

Good, the man knew exactly what he wanted, no wasting time waffling about. Her sort of customer. She started scribbling his order.

"Beefsteak, very well. How would you like it done? Rare? Medium?"

Once he answered that she continued, "We have roasted potatoes . A helping of beans, yes. And bread of course. Yes, we serve butter too."

" Nice place ya got here. I like the small places. Not sure why, but I do. Big ones, well, just not as friendly," the man threw in a compliment, always appreciated. 

"Oh thank you but to be honest, I am not the owner of this fine establishment. I am in charge while she is traveling with her husband, they were married...a while back," Clara informed him. She missed Emeline and if it hadn't been for her writing back on occasion and even sending gifts, she would have been worried sick about her well being gone this long. But she was glad they were having such a good time apparently. 

"Name's Tyrell Thornton." He suddenly announced. Clara blinked.

"Thornton? Are you by any chance related to Shade Thornton from the Lost Lake Ranch?" It was not that common a surname after all.

@Flip

"Thornton? Are you by any chance related to Shade Thornton from the Lost Lake Ranch?" It was not that common a surname after all.

"I am. Cousin to him, why I'm here." He said in response. "Sposed to look up Quentin Cantrel and see what's what out here. Been a long ride from New Mexico Territory I'll tell ya. But ya got nice country around here." He liked what he saw,  and had since he got into the trees and away from the desert and the country just got better and better. He also realized that it offered more to him than a ride back south to the Lazy S. It had been a good place to be, that is until he arrived in Kalispell.

"Yep, jest might have to stay a while." He smiled up at her.

@Wayfarer