• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Barnabas listened, understanding the young mans desire to venture out, and also his hesitance to leave his sister behind. Life has those twists and turns that are possible blocks to what feels like their calling. "Well, you know, there are ways that you could manage that education, and there are ways that Lillian here could go with you." Then he cautioned, "I would certainly hesitate to travel to the Dakotas until the Indians are pacified. I'm sure they are filled with the power of their defeat of George Custer."   "Then again, should you attend the university, things could be settled before you graduated and ventured out. Education is a fine thing, Tom, whether you use it here, or the Dakotas, or wherever  you might venture forth. I only wished I had had the luxury of education beyond what I managed at my mothers knee and that one room school house in Texas." But fortune had smiled on him, the poker hand and what he had brought him, and then Em. His life was good, all things considered.
    • Their cab driver was waiting for them, he'd stayed close, alert to when they would return, and he was content, having had a wonderful lunch that Mrs. Pike had had packed for him.  Now, he helped get the remains of their picnic loaded, then made sure everyone was settled, with blankets in case they needed them, and started back for town.   "That was a wonderful outing!" Emeline declared, chuckling.  "Although I think I ended up with half the beach in my shoes!"  That had been something she hadn't thought about when going barefoot...putting the shoes and socks back on had been a challenge, especially with no way to keep the sand out!   She settled in, wrapping a blanket around her knees, since the hem of her skirt was damp, then rested her head against Barnabas' shoulder and was soon asleep.  Across from them, Lillian was also dozing.   "Thank you for letting us come with you, sir," Tom murmured quietly, "my sister works too hard and it's good for her to have some fun.  And I appreciate the advice.  College sounds like a good plan, if we can afford it.  I'd love to go to Montana or the Dakotas, but I don't want to leave Lillian."   @Flip
    • "Guess you're right about just showin' up at the ranch like that." He agree, and that is kind of you, but I've cash put by for this trip I've made. The hotel does sound good. And the local fare? Which is the best place to eat. Lookin' for big steak dinner I am. Been sometime since I was able to get somethin' like that. It was a trip to remember, long, hard, and with every temperature you could imagine."   It had been that and a bit more. There had been Molly McGuire, he was missing her, but Kalispell would not be the place for her if all that had been said came to fruition between Lost Lake and the Evergreen. He had waltzed in on what could be a real corpse and cartridge affair, and one that went on an on til they forgot what it was about, or who started it.   "I appreciate your offer, and your council about town and holdin' off till the ranch hands were in town. I'll do just that. @JulieS    
    • Benjamin gave up on the fruitless pursuit of the surviving war party, they were down a six or so anyhow and more than likely just heading back to their home village. If it was one thing the US cavalry learned about chasing Indians, you didn't catch 'em.  Best horsemen in the world maybe. So he ordered his scouts and troopers to turn back and then spent the better part of a few hours just getting back to the rest of his command. It being dark did not help at all but the scouts were up to the task.   Once back he found out that a lot had happened - almost all good too, well except another trooper had been killed. But Lt. Greene found (had lucked into it really but no criticism there - it was the great Napoleon who had said  'better a lucky general than a good one') the women and they were alive. Looking a bit worse for wear but no dangerous wounds, the saloon girl was already wearing trousers and a bluecoat lent her by eager troopers. And Greene had a face to face encounter with an Arapaho brave looking to kill the ladies. That Indian was dead. Barlow didn't press the young officer on the details, that he could read in the report Greene would have to write out later back in the fort, for the young man was wounded and in considerable discomfort. They didn't have a doctor with this detachment but one of the troopers who knew something about wound treatment assured Benjamin the boy would live and keep his leg. Well unless he didn't take care of it properly and get gangrene.   The stage driver was quite the tough gal too. She was sporting a large bruise from where the Arapaho had belted her with his gun butt but in good humor and even told him that the two women had killed their guard and escaped on their own.  Barlow was impressed.   "Well, it's a pity we don't allow women in the army, we could use a couple more like you and your friend," Benjamin remarked to Addy.   It was a tough call to make - normally traveling at night was not the wise thing to do but they had the wounded to think of and the sooner they got them back to better medical care at the fort or even town, the better. He decided darkness or not, they would head back and issued the appropriate orders.   They kept the pace deliberately slow but steady. He wasn't worried about Indian attack - Plains Indians did not attack at night and besides that war party was good as destroyed and definitely dispersed.  No, the bigger danger was loss of a horse or horses to prairie dog holes or god knows what else whilst traveling in the darkness.   Then there was a holler from ahead.   @MD  @Bongo @Flip @Javia
    • Both men had agreed, it had been a hell of a day. That Bannister came to them had been unexpected, but welcomed.  As they walked to the hotel after stabling their mounts they paused on the porch, taking up seats on the porch. Both men silent as they turned over the events of the day. Neither weary as they should be after a long hard ride back to Kalispell.   "This shapes up different than I was thinking it would. I mean hell, this is father against daughter." Cook said, "Seen a few that was father-son, never father-daughter."   "Odd one, that's fer shore. Now This Elias Steelgrave, you know much about him?" McNue asked, wonder what type of man is a threat to his own flesh and blood.   "Some, none of it good, and none of it arrestable, if that's even a word. The man skirts the law in a way he gets what he's after without consequence. Though I've heard there's a dark past with some bodies, but again, no real proof. Well, we'll check in with Guyer in the morning, see what we can do."   "Sounds to be a good idea, as dos gettin' our fair share 'o shuteye." McNue agreed. Both men got to their feet and entered the hotel. On this night their prospective of what was happening had changed.

Posted (edited)

Mature Content: Doubt it

With: Tyrell Garret Thornton
When: Mid-July 1876
Time of Day: Encompasses a couple of days

content-divider.png

Like any good cattleman, he mounted his horse to ride to the newspaper office, not all that far away. As they would say, 'if it can't be done from a horse, it can't be done.' A misnomer, as many of the things that wranglers did were not done from horseback, but with both feet on the ground.

It had been interesting in the saloon, even though he had expected some doubt as to his legitimacy as a Thornton relative. They didn't know him from Adam, no more than he knew this Sarah Carlton-Thornton, but here was his first opportunity to meet a relative. He welcomed it, and hoped that she would accept the telegram as proof that he was in fact related.

Stepping down in front of the office with Kalispell Union emblazoned on the window. Flipping his reins over the hitch rail, he stepped up on the boardwalk and stepped to the door, spurs jingling. He then opened the door and went inside.

"What can I do for you, Mister?" Phin asked.

"Names Thornton, Tyrell Thornton. Lookin' for a Sara Thornton." Ty explained.

"Well Mister Thornton, Sarah's out of the office as you can see, but I do expect her back at any time. I take it yu're related?"

"I am, well, I believe I am. Shade Thornton is my cousin, and he asked me to come up and lend a hand with a Quentin Cantrell."

Phin smiled. "Well sir, I suppose folks around here would like to see Shade Thornton again, when did you see him?" Was Phin's question.

"Didn't. He sent this here telegram." Ty replied taking out the missive and handing it to the newspaper man. "Haven't seen him in years, since we was boys."

Phin took the paper and read it, then looked up at Ty. "Well, I guess maybe Sarah, Misses Thornton- Carlton, will vouch for you. Doubt you'd know Cantrell."

"No sir, wouldn't know either of 'em, but I'm here now and I plan to meet up with this Cantrell fella and see what's what." Ty admitted. Now in the west a man was who he said he was unless it could be proved he wasn't. Phin knew this, and the man was making no claims to the Lost Lake Ranch, in fact he said he was in Kalispell to lend a hand.

"Well, I'm sure Sarah will be along shortly." Phin said.

image.jpeg.416d5001abfdf3be7fcfc6e8775a8bee.jpeg

@JulieS

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Returning from having luncheon with Pastor and Mrs. Evans, Sarah was looking forward to spending the rest of the afternoon, finishing writing an article on the progress of the White Rose Theatre.  It was small considering the theatres she had frequented while living in San Francisco, but big enough for the town the size of Kalispell.  Ben Simons was looking having seating for about one hundred people, which in itself was an optimistic number.

Visiting local community leaders was one of the tasks Phin often sent her to.  She suspected that listening to the humble (sometimes inane) going ons around town was not to his liking but she wouldn't mention it to him. A smile appeared on her face at the thought of Phin dining with the local ladies society and enduring their chatter about who was courting who and who had just had a baby.

Opening the door to the Union office, she saw a stranger at the counter talking to Phin.  The stranger didn't look like a threat but these days you never knew who was who and most importantly which side they were on.  Although, some claimed to be neutral, she was finding that deep down that wasn't the case.

Going over to the hat stand, she took off her coat and placed it on one of the hooks.  As for her hat, she would unpin it when she was seated at her desk.  Walking past the man, she smiled before turning to Phin, "You'll be glad to know that Pastor Evans said that the church board will be taking out an advertisement in next week's newspaper, to advertise the fundraising dance they plan to hold at the end of August."

@Flip

• Like 1

Before Phin could say a word the stranger spoke up, "You would be Misses Carlton, A Thornton I believe? We are related somehow. I am Tyrell Garret Thornton, son of  Abner Garret Thornton, brother of James Caleb Thornton and Robert Thornton, and, Millicent Ann Lattimore my mother. Cousin to Shade." The pause was brief as he continued,

"I have this telegram from him asking me to come here   from New Mexico territory to lend a hand as needed with a Quentin Cantrell on his Lost Lake Ranch> I believe you and I have met maybe fifteen years ago, or more."He smiled. "I seem to be doubted, though I suppose that was to be expected." once again drawing out the yellow paper.

Phin just stood there slack jawed.

@JulieS

Sarah took a good look at the man.  It was true that she had a cousin called Tyrell but she hadn't seen him in years and having only met him briefly when they were all much younger it was hard to tell.  Most of the men in the Thornton family that she knew were clean-shaven including Shade, so it was proving a little bit more difficult to confirm if this was really her cousin.

What she did know was that Shade had sent for Tyrell almost a year ago.  Apparently, there had been trouble with the Steelgraves back then and Shade was looking at getting all the help he could.  Since the troubles between the Thorntons and Steelgraves had subsided and on the surface everything looked fine.  However, Shade must have been worried about something as he was frequently disappearing.  Sometimes he would turn up for a short before going off again.  She asked Mike Wentworth, the foreman at Lost Lake, how Shade was and if she could help out in any way.  Mike's response that he was just as in the dark as she was.  All he knew was that Shade wanted him to help keep the ranch going until such a time when he would be back permanently, if at all.

Now, if there was only a way she could be sure about the man she was looking at.  If he truly was her cousin Tyrell, then at least she could rest easy knowing that there was another Thornton around to keep an eye on Lost Lake.

As she continued to study the man, she could see something familiar about him but she needed more just to be certain.  She smiled, "I hope you don't mind if you could tell me something more about yourself?  I need to be more certain before I can say for sure that you are my cousin Tyrell.  In fact I am hoping that you are as Shade needs all the help he can get."

@Flip

Posted (edited)

"Ma'am, I didn't ride from Lordsburg without bein' who I say I am. Now as to knowin' a sight of Thotnton's, I'm sorry I just don't. Once Ma and Pa were gone, well, I just sort of moved on. Lost track of those I did know, including Shade." He revealed,

"Now wait, was you to John Caleb Thornton's funeral, Shade's Pa? I believe that might well have been when I met you." He asked. "Sad day that was, Uncle John Caleb was my favorite Uncle. Anyway, that'd be the best I can do. The years have muddled some memories I had."

@JulieS

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Sarah sighed, "I'm sorry but I have to be sure considering all the troubles the Thorntons have had with the Steelgraves in the past.  Getting someone to pose as a long-lost Thornton relative would be something that Elias Steelgrave is capable of doing. Mr. McVey can also attest to this as well as all of the other things that the Steelgraves are suspected of doing."

She thought over his comment about being at Uncle John's funeral, "You might be confusing me with my mother who attended Uncle John's funeral with my father, Robert.  I was in San Francisco at that time."

A frown appeared on her face.  Part of her wanted him to be her cousin.  "There's one more possibility.  I did meet my cousin Tyrell briefly at the end of the visit we paid to Lost Lake back in '58.  I was about 15 years old then.  We all got on rather well if I remember rightly, and Shade took us all to one of his favourite spots on the ranch.  It's something that wouldn't be common knowledge.  If you could remember where that was, then I will know that you are my cousin Tyrell."

@Flip

Phin sort of shook his head, but Sarah had a point about making sure he was who he said he was, and for the very reasons she stated, about the Steelgraves in particular. It was something Elias might pull just to infiltrate the ranch.  "She's right, mister, this hornets nest hasn't been stirred up for a while, but I wouldn't count on it for long."

"Well I'll be, I do remember that, kinda. I mean I was a pup, maybe seventeen, last year before Ma & Pa passed on. Lemme think on it a bit," He said. Yeah well, the house sits right close to Lost Lake itself, but Shade, he liked this other one, a like I mean. We rode sown the stream as I recall." He paused.

"Lake was about the same size, but there were caves as I recall, and that's why he liked it so much, yeah, he like to camp out over there, go huntin' an' such. Least ways, that's how I remember it. Lord, that was a while back." Then Ty smiled and shook his head as the memories flooded back. "So, that's how I remember it."

Sarah smiled as she remembered the trip to the caves.  The caves weren't common knowledge as there were still some areas on the ranch that people rarely went to.  So she decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept that he was indeed her cousin Tyrell.  Besides, if it proved to be all trick then the man would have to deal with both Shade and Quentin.

She held out her hand, "Welcome to Kalispell, cousin Tyrell.  I hope we can get to know each other better while you are here."

"I suppose you will be wanting to get out to the ranch as soon as possible.  I recommend that you wait a day or so until some of the hands come to town as it wouldn't be very wise to show up unannounced.  Lost Lake usually sends out men for supplies once or twice a week and I can introduce you to them."

@Flip

"Truth be told Cousin, I'm for a good meal here in town, and a night in a real bed. Then, yes, I'd like to head out and meet this Quentin Cantrell." He said, adding: "Whatever's been the problem to this point, it'll wait another few hours." He smiled. "Unless of course these Steelgrave's strike the town while I'm here." And he chuckled.

"Well Mister Thornton, what you wouldn't know is that old man Steelgrave has a good twenty to thirty riders, and there's rumor that his son Case is back in the area with a dozen or more riders, outlaws all, and if they should ban together, that will be a real problem. Of course, last I knew they didn't get along." Phin explained, "Sarah? What do think about them reconciling? I can it could be possible." He was not sure what she knew or didn't know to this point.

Ty looked to her, maybe this was a whole lot more than he thought it was.

@JulieS

"Truth be told Cousin, I'm for a good meal here in town, and a night in a real bed. Then, yes, I'd like to head out and meet this Quentin Cantrell." He said, adding: "Whatever's been the problem to this point, it'll wait another few hours." He smiled. "Unless of course these Steelgrave's strike the town while I'm here." And he chuckled.

"I doubt if they will ever strike the town.  However, the outlying small ranches and farms will be targets, especially if Elias Steelgrave wants to own more land," she replied.

"Well Mister Thornton, what you wouldn't know is that old man Steelgrave has a good twenty to thirty riders, and there's rumor that his son Case is back in the area with a dozen or more riders, outlaws all, and if they should ban together, that will be a real problem. Of course, last I knew they didn't get along." Phin explained, "Sarah? What do think about them reconciling? I can it could be possible." He was not sure what she knew or didn't know to this point.

Ty looked to her, maybe this was a whole lot more than he thought it was.

"I'm afraid, Phinn is right.  If the rumours are true then it will be a battle.  As for them reconciling...well anything is possible."

Sarah paused for a moment and then said, "I suppose you probably don't know why the Steelgraves and the Thorntons are at loggerheads with each other since you haven't been in touch with the family for so long. I, myself only know how and why it all started.  Shade told me some of it but it wasn't much as he didn't want to concern me too much about it.  There are various stories going around but only Shade can tell you the full story and I'm not sure how much that will be."

@Flip

"Really don't matter much how it started, it's about where it goes from here that matters." Ty replied, "But things shorely don't sound none too good. But then, it's hard to tell what might or might not come of it." It seemed as if there was not cut and dried 'this is what will happen' about the whole situation.

"So, how's this burg fixed for law?" He asked thinking it was a tall order to stand against what sounded like fifty riders. And her doubted that any force would try the town. Not with men who had fought in the war, and against Indians and Outlaws on their move west.

@JulieS

"This town does have a good and reliable Marshall.  Speed Guyer has kept a firm hand on this town ever since he took over."

Sarah, for a moment, thought about who would come to the Marshall's aide, if Case Steelgrave decided to try his hand at causing trouble in Kalispell.  "The Marshall does have a couple of deputies - one called Pike who is away on his honeymoon.  The other is Charlie Wentworth, who only just started a few months ago.  I can also say that if something big were to happen there would be a good number of men who would come running to help."

@Flip

"Well now, I figgered as much. Mostly folks tend to defend what's theirs." Ty said. "These Steelgraves sound like a shifty lot, meaning hard to figger their next move, if there's a move to figger out. "

"Well now, to this point the riders of the Evergreen did come to town once to spring Case Steelgrave, but got no where, and started no real trouble. I mean, there was a number of men who backed the marshal and his deputies." Phin added, "Oh, and there's a couple of Territorial Marshals about, left here by the Governor to lend a hand as needed."

"Sounds like I've landed in a sidewinders nest if ever I had." Ty reacted. "So then, cousin Sarah, what appears to be the main beef between the two families? I doubt I'll be runnin' on to Shade any time soon, though I'd surely like too. Sounds to me like one killed one of the others, or stole land 'er cattle, 'er some such.

Phin smiled, it was not like there would be too many other reasons for the feud, and he actually had never heard the particulars of just what caused it in the first place, or he'd heard rumors, but nothing that was ever very clear.

image.jpeg.46170afaa305f34ac39ffe9e4cd8b29f.jpeg

@JulieS

"The beef started before the war when Shade killed Calvin Steelgrave, Elias' son," Sarah answered, "And as you can guess Elias has held a grudge ever since."

She sighed heavily, "Some people even think that he had something to do with the killing of Chance, Regina, and two of their children.  There's also been a number squirmishes, ambushes and fights over the years between Evergreen and Lost Lake.  Things, from what I understand, can be quiet at times with nothing much happening but no-one, not even Shade knows how long, or if they will ever last."

A concern look came upon her face, "Shade has been acting odd for quite some time now.  He'll disappear for ages and then re-appear long enough to make some plans about the ranch before going off again.  He was rather sweet on the local schoolteacher, Miss Bowen and I asked if she had any idea of what Shade might be up to but she is in the dark just like the rest of us."

@Flip

• Made Me Laugh! 1

"Dark seems to be the place around here. Ain't a lot of information comin' my way on this deal, but I expect I'll learn as I go, and what's what'll reveal itself soon enough." Ty said, "But I can undertand a feud runnin' that deep. Seen it before elsewhere. And you're right, we could use Shade here to help clear this up, but, I reckon Cantrell fella set things straight .

It would seem that the killing of a son some fifteen years ago might just cool off , but that is not how things presented themselves. There was not any outright fighting being reported, but from what Sarah was saying it could explode just about any time. As if this Thornton-Steelgrave feud was a powder keg and everyone involved was holding a match.

"Now I'm not sayin' that you've not been real helpful to this point, cuz you have, but the rest of them I spoke with said nothing of use." He continued. "Shame to have this here reunion because of this, but seein' you again has been real nice. Guess I just got myself dug in down in Lordsburg and lost track of everyone. Didn't know about Chance and his family, I do remember 'em, but that too was sometime back, before they had young 'uns, I believe."

@JulieS

"Yes, they did.  Cody and Nettie are now six years old," Sarah answered, "They both live at the lodge on Lost Lake. Thankfully, they are being taken care of by Mrs. Miller...the housekeeper when Shade isn't there."

A frown appeared on her face, "I wish I knew what Shade is up to but I guess my being a woman has something to do with it.  Hopefully, Shade will tell you what's going on...that's when he turns up again."

She took a deep breath to help lift up her spirits, "Well, I guess you would be wanting to get to the hotel and freshen up after your long journey.  Maybe we can have dinner tonight to catch up with the happenings in both of our families."

@Flip

"Yes Ma'am. Haven't slept in a bed in some time, and I am tired of my own cooking, so a hot meal sounds real good along about now." Ty said with a smile. "As far as Shade goes, I have no idea where he is, nor what he's up too, other than the telegram." It was a mystery to be sure, and she was not the only one wondering where Shade Thornton was, and what it was that kept him from his ranch.

"Are you now in town? I ask because I thought we might have breakfast if you took your meals here in town, before I ride out to see Cantrell on the ranch."

"Yes, I have small one bedroom cottage in the residential area on the southside of town.  I don't even have a barn, if I did I would surely offer you a place to stay but I think you would appreciate a good bed to lie in.  The Belle St. Regis is a nice place to stay and it might be a day or two before you can go to Lost Lake.  As I mentioned before, it would be advisable for you to wait and go with some of the hands.  With all of the tension, a stranger turning up unannounced might not get a good welcome."

Sarah smiled, "As for meals, I will be happy to share them with you until. You could use your time in town effectively by getting to know more about what the situation is like. You should get to know who your allies are just in case.  Also, there are some people who know more about the history between the Steelgraves and Thorntons than I do."

@Flip

"Guess you're right about just showin' up at the ranch like that." He agree, and that is kind of you, but I've cash put by for this trip I've made. The hotel does sound good. And the local fare? Which is the best place to eat. Lookin' for big steak dinner I am. Been sometime since I was able to get somethin' like that. It was a trip to remember, long, hard, and with every temperature you could imagine."

It had been that and a bit more. There had been Molly McGuire, he was missing her, but Kalispell would not be the place for her if all that had been said came to fruition between Lost Lake and the Evergreen. He had waltzed in on what could be a real corpse and cartridge affair, and one that went on an on til they forgot what it was about, or who started it.

"I appreciate your offer, and your council about town and holdin' off till the ranch hands were in town. I'll do just that.

@JulieS