Guest Glenn

A Long March

Stormwolfe

The major events in this thread never happened. However, since several of the NPCs created for it will be used in other stories, we are going to archive this thread for reference's sake. Participants are welcome to copy/paste and modify their posts from this thread should need arise.

Message added by Stormwolfe

Guest Glenn

Brittles looked at Addy. "We'll be heading out to Fort Kilpatrick tonight." Brittles turned to his aide. "Lieutenant, have the men prepare to mount, we're moving out." With that Farley rode off.

Brittles looked at Harriett. "Once we reach Fort Kilpatrick, I'll report to the colonel, and if he gives his permission, we'll start trying to track your cattle. I hope that meets with your approval, Miss Mercer."

Brittles mounted his horse. "I hope, while we're at Kilpatrick, you ladies will do me the pleasure of dining with me."

With that, he rode off.

@Stormwolfe@Bongo@Longshot@Wayfarer

Edited by Glenn (see edit history)

Harriet smiled at Addy, "Thank you for the offer, Addy. I do appreciate it. However, I prefer to continue on to Fort Kilpatrick since it is less than five miles off. I have no idea why that man," she shot a glare at the major's retreating back, "keeps talking about Kalispell."

She then whirled around to look at Quentin, "I am not having hardtack and beans in a tent, Quentin Cantrell. I do not care how many bottles of whatever it is that you brought."

Honestly, Harriet was confused why the Major kept mentioning Kalispell since they were more than twenty-five miles away from the town. Did he really not know that Fort Kilpatrick was just over the rise, next to the lake? He certainly seemed single-minded about it...and about setting up camp for the night. "You may certainly do as you like for the night. I am riding to Fort Poison." Harriet turned to her horse and began checking the saddle straps, making sure all was still in working order. As she worked she muttered, "will not ALLOW me...As if anyone could stop me!"

@Longshot @Bongo

Guest Glenn

Major Brittles led his command into Fort Poison. 

He saw that the wagons driven by his soldiers, were all accounted for, then the horses were unhitched and cared for. 

Any  wagons driven by civilians were stationed near the other wagons, and their horses were taken care of by the soldiers.

After seeing that all his people were taken care of, he approached the fort's commanding officer's quarters. Once inside, he saw a Lieutenant at a desk and when the Lieutenant saw him, he came to attention. "Can I help you, major?"

"Major Nathan Brittles. I'm here to report in and pay my respects to the commanding officer."

The lieutenant nodded, then knocked on the CO's officer, then entered.

@Bongo@Stormwolfe@Longshot@Wayfarer

As she pulled her freight wagon in behind the military transports, Addy looked around the fort, curious.  It seemed pretty basic, but she was by no means an expert on such things, especially the ones in the West, and she supposed it served its purpose.  At least, she speculated as she climbed from the seat, she wasn't forced to spend the night alone on the trail, not that she hadn't done so in the past, but what with Indians so close about, she was grateful for the company and shelter.

Deftly, she hopped to the ground, then started unhitching the two big draft horses. 

@Wayfarer; @Flip

Guest Glenn

As Nathan waited to see the colonel, he looked out a window at the fort...it was run down...no real defenses.

There were soldiers standing guard near the stockade. He wondered who was in there.

@Wayfarer@Flip@Bongo

Sgt. Braumann had taken his mount to the assigned stables along with the rest of the newly arrived troopers at Fort Kilpatrick. He had been to his share of army outposts in his career and this was one was pretty typical. No stockade or defensive walls, it's not like the Indians would be stupid enough to attack a fortress. They would just suffer a lot of casualties the tribe could hardly afford and for what?  No, Indian warfare was about hit and run attacks and profitable raiding of your enemies. There were so many softer targets than military forts. One of the garrison NCOs directed the men where to stable the horses and which barracks to report to. It was going to be crowded for awhile as suddenly the fort was having to take in 100 extra men and animals. But they wouldn't be staying long as the reason for their current assignment was to construct a new fort closer to Kalispell.

Once that was done, Braumann decided to check on the civilian wagon which had accompanied them the last part of their journey. The one driven by a woman. He figured she probably wasn't used to army ways and might appreciate the help.

"Ma'am, can I be of any assistance? I'd be happy to show you where to stable your team. Don't worry none, they'll be fine here," he spoke up once he got within easy talking distance.

sgtsagarpg.jpg

@Bongo

Edited by Wayfarer (see edit history)

Guest Glenn

As Nathan waited to see the colonel, he looked out a window at the fort...it was run down...no real defenses.

There were soldiers standing guard near the stockade. He wondered who was in there.

The lieutenant returned from the colonels office. "Major, if you'll follow me, the colonel is ready for you." 

Brittles nodded and followed the man into the office.

Behind the desk, sat the colonel. Grey haired, overweight, and he appeared well past retirement age.

"Major Nathan Brittles, reporting in, sir!" Nathan saluted.

robert-shaw3.jpgColonel Wellington MacKenzie looked up at the newcomer. His eyes narrowed as he looked the man up and down. He then nodded at his aide. "That will be all, Thomas..." Lieutenant Thomas braced a moment to attention then turned and strode out of the office, pulling the door closed behind him.

MacKenzie gestured to one of the wooden chairs before his desk. "Have a seat, Major." The colonel leaned forward and rested his elbows on the desktop, linking his fingers  in front of his chin as Brittles sat down. "So...you're the golden boy the War Department chose to build the new fort...how much have you been told about this area, Major?"

Brittles sat. "That the area needs a new fort, and they tasked me with building it, and commanding the fort when we're done. I was also told that the local Indians need to be dealt with, and that I have the authority to handle the matter as I see fit, sir." Brittles looked at the man. "Colonel, may I inquire as to who is being held in the stockade?"

MacKenzie nodded. "So your command does not exist yet...and unless the War Department has changed the chain of command in the last few days, I am the ranking officer in this area, and I am currently in the process of dealing with the Indians in this area..." Mackenzie stood and paced behind his desk for one turn before stopping to look out the window in the direction of the stockade. "The prisoner is none other than the son of Proud Elk, the local big chief in these parts. The other smaller tribes seem to be listening to his suggestions. He seems to be the closest thing to a general these people have around here..." Mackenzie resumed pacing, moving over to a side table near his desk. "...drink, Major? I may not be as well stocked as the offices back East, but a Colonel's pay does help with the quality of liquor from the Sutler's Store."

Brittles shook his head. "No thank you, sir." Nathan paused. "Sir. My orders are to proceed to the location of the new fort and begin construction as soon as possible. It was my understanding that were to be recalled to Washington, sir."

Then he turned the conversation to the son of the local chief. "May I ask what you plan on doing to the prisoner, sir?"

MacKenzie poured himself a generous amount and walked back around to sit in the chair behind his desk. He tipped the glass back and downed half the amount inside, setting it back on the desk with an audible clack. "You may..." MacKenzie hissed out his breath as the alcohol burned down his throat. "...Proud Elk's son is currently my guest. We were lucky enough to capture him several days ago. I plan to use him to lure Proud Elk out into the open...what happens next will be up to the great chief..." MacKenzie let out another breath from the burn of the whiskey. "I could certainly use the assistance of your command...Major. How many men have you brought with you?"

"I brought a hundred men, sir, but I need the men to start construction of the new fort." Brittles studied the man closely. "Are you planning on setting a trap for Proud Elk, using his son as bait? If you are, I might have a better alternative."

MacKenzie leaned back in his chair and regarded Brittles. "...By all means, Major...regale me with your brilliant plan."

Brittles leaned forward in his chair. "Allow me to arrange a parley with Proud Elk. I'll offer him his son back if he agrees to a treaty, and agrees to move to a reservation. I would advise, respectfully, that you do not kill the son. Proud Elk may not have many warriors, but he'll rally as many as he can, even go into reservations and get them to join him. Colonel, you may be looking at a few hundred warriors, and given the prize, I don't think they would hesitate to attack the fort." Brittles paused. "It'll be a massacre, sir."

MacKenzie's eyes narrowed. "Major, I will thank you not to tell me my job based on your 'lengthy' experience out here..." MacKenzie then leaned back in his chair "...however, you do suggest something I had not considered. You would probably be a much better choice to try and act as bait for Proud Elk. He knows me of course, so his trusting me might be more than could be expected from even an Indian..." MacKenzie then looked straight at Brittles. "So do you think you have the hair to spare for this little adventure?"

"I'll take half my men, and my scouts, and ride under a white flag, asking for a meeting. I think I'll manage to hang onto my hair, colonel. But...if I give him my word, and he lays down his weapons, you have to honor it also, sir."

MacKenzie barked a short laugh. "Major, if you think Proud Elk will allow himself to get within a mile of fifty troopers, then you sorely underestimate the average indian..." MacKenzie's thumb poked over his shoulder in the direction of the stockade. "...He wants his son out of there, he has no desire to join him."

"Then, sir, I will go with just my scouts."

"Another thing, colonel. Some of the people we came across said they lost some cattle to some Indians.  Request permission to take a party out and see if we can locate them, sir."

MacKenzie regarded Brittles silently. "Major, you are either a very brave man or a giant fool...I suppose time will tell but you have my blessing to try your crazy idea." The Colonel then blinked. "You mean they lost our meat?...Good Lord, we've been on beans and bread for a few weeks now...by all means yes! Give those ranchers whatever help they need to get our cattle back!"

"They didn't loss all of them, colonel. Several, according to my understanding, sir. " Brittles stood up. "Permission to leave at first light?"

@Glenn@Flip@Longshot @Stormwolfe

large.Ke-Ni-Tay-5A.jpg.26ae55d8d1ddf7b359cd82ad925dbbc3.jpgMacintosh and Ke-Ni-Tay rode in a bit after the troop and the wagons. They had been out scouting the back trail, but the hostiles had not followed as both of them suspected they might.

Both men looked over what was called a fort, which was nothing more than a few buildings, tents, rolling stock and a corral. He looked to the Apache, "Might not be the safest place we've seen, but I doubt the Indians will attack this place."

Ke-Ni-Tay barely cracked a smile. "Maye some have been my country, maybe fight Apache. Maybe." He said, "One we fight earlier, they not come here. Too few, too many sojers."

"We'll be okay. If you like we don't have to stay here, but I should let the Major know the back trail's clear, for now." He reigned in and stepped down, as did the Apache Both stretched and both looked around. he spotted the Sargent at the wagon with the civilian woman knowing he would know where his commanding officer might be. "I'll check with the Sargent, see if there's a cook fire going."

"Good idea." Ke-Ni-Tay decided as Macintosh walked toward the soldier.

Tag @Wayfarer@Bongo

Looking up as the sergeant approached, Addy smiled and nodded.  "Good ta know, sir.  Not that it's safe, I reckoned on that."  She grinned.  "Just good ta have a place ta stable them, they ain't too fond of picket lines nor hobbles.  I got my own feed, knew I was gonna be spendin' th' night on th' trail."  Pulling the harness off one of the tall animals, she folded it as best she could and placed it on the foot of the wagon where she could rub it down and stow it properly later.

"That little bit'a excitement earlier was enough fer one trip!"  While she didn't relish fighting nor conflicts, she would stand up to one if she had to, but hopefully the Indians were done and gone.  "Look, here's th' scout now, an' he don't look distressed."  Macintosh's demeanor was relaxed, and certainly if the Indians were still in the area he'd be more agitated.

@Wayfarer; @Flip

Braumann shook his head, "No need to call me 'sir'. Only officers get that and I'm just a lowly sergeant. Besides you aren't in the army."

"Name is Nikolaus Braumann, I will answer to Nick if you'd rather, " he added, taking hold of the one the team, "It'll be a stable, ma'am. They can have a nice stall. Cavalry treat their horses well you see, we depend on them with our lives at times."

"Yeah, that was a bit of a fuss. I wasn't worried. It would take a hellava lot of Injuns to attack a body of troops that big.  And they'd be even less likely to ever attack a fort. Injuns are touchy about losing men, can't blame 'em, a big tribe might have a few hundred warriors at best. Think it's slowly beginning to dawn on them but these wars....well they can't win. There are way too many white folk coming west."

The woman mentioned the scout and Braumann turned to see that scout and his Apache companion approaching. He nodded in acknowledgment.

sgtsagarpg.jpg

@Bongo @Flip

"Evenin' Ma'am, Sargent." Macintosh greeted, touching the brim of his hat and nodding toward the woman. "Me an' Ke-Ni-tay here are reportin' that them what attacked us are long gone. We're lookin' for the Major to report officially, just thought you'd like to know." He explained. "Also like to know about grub an' such, we'll make do for sleepin'." He smiled, "Well, maybe a bait of oats for the horses as well."

Macintosh was really not one to like buildings, though he tolerated them better than the Apache. In Arizona somehow he became comfortable living inside, there was relief from the heat and a woman. Ke-Ni-Tay was never far away, as he would seek out his own people, which was also good for information. That would be different here.

Tag @Wayfarer@Bongo

"Name is Nikolaus Braumann, I will answer to Nick if you'd rather, "

"Sir..."  Addy nodded, then sighed.  "Nick...just my upbringin'."  She didn't bring up her experience during the War with the military, not that she'd been enlisted, of course, but she had worked closely with the Army and had some understanding of procedures. 

"It'll be a stable, ma'am. They can have a nice stall. Cavalry treat their horses well you see, we depend on them with our lives at times."

"I truly know that sentiment, losin' yer horse leaves ya high an' dry!"

"Yeah, that was a bit of a fuss. I wasn't worried. It would take a hellava lot of Injuns to attack a body of troops that big.  And they'd be even less likely to ever attack a fort. Injuns are touchy about losing men, can't blame 'em, a big tribe might have a few hundred warriors at best. Think it's slowly beginning to dawn on them but these wars....well they can't win. There are way too many white folk coming west."

"Ain't that th' truth!  Gettin' more an' more crowded an' civilized."  She grinned.  "I've a mind sometimes ta chase interlopers off myself, ta keep things good as they are!"  Taking hold of the other horse's lead, she turned to greet the scout.

"Evenin' Ma'am, Sargent."

"Mr. Macintosh."  Addy nodded.  "I'm Addy Chappel...didn't get a good chance fer introductions out there on th' trail."

"Me an' Ke-Ni-tay here are reportin' that them what attacked us are long gone. We're lookin' for the Major to report officially, just thought you'd like to know." He explained. "Also like to know about grub an' such, we'll make do for sleepin'." He smiled, "Well, maybe a bait of oats for the horses as well."

"We're headed to th' stables," Addy offered, assuming the men were free to take their horses there, what with them being Army scouts.  "I got my kit fer sleepin' at my wagon, ain't no problem with that."  She was accustomed to making camp on the trail, and at least here she didn't need to make a fire.  "Them Injuns was probably more interested in beef than scalps," she added, "they'll have a time roundin' some up."

@Wayfarer; @Flip

Apparently the woman was not too pleased with the relentless spread of civilization. Braumann felt that somewhat unusual amongst womenfolk. It was plain to see this gal was very self-reliant and he had to respect that. That's when the white scout and his Apache entered the conversation.  Belatedly the woman introduced herself...Addy Chappell. Good to put a name to a face, the sergeant thought. She was also pretty knowledgeable about Indians too, he had no doubt that bunch had been more interested in the cattle than fighting soldiers. Especially with the buffalo disappearing so rapidly throughout the west.

Macintosh wanted the sergeant to know that he and his Indian had scouted further and wished to report this to Major Brittles.

"The major went to the commandant's office to no doubt introduce himself to the CO here. You'd have to go over and knock. Now as for food, I was about to invite Miss Chappell to sit at the barracks mess. Food in a fort is a lot better than what we normally settle for out in the field. Should be some baked bread and stew at least, with real vegetables too. You and your man are welcome to join us," Braumann offered, "that is when you're done reporting to the major I reckon."

sgtsagarpg.jpg

@Bongo @Flip

Harriet dismounted from Spirit once they were all within the environs of the fort. She patted the big paint's neck and stretched, feeling her spine crackle and pop. Major Brittles had immediately headed to see Fort Kilpatrick's commanding officer. At least, Harriet presumed that was where he was going. She and Quentin needed to see Colonel MacKenzie also, but that was going to have to wait. She wanted to get Spirit settled and was a bit of the trail dirt off herself.

She hailed a young man and had to stop herself from shaking her head. Young was the operative. He looked far too young to be wearing the uniform of the United States Cavalry. "Private, could you show us or tell us where we can see to our horses?"

The young man blushed but seemed pleased that she had gotten his rank correct, "Certainly, but we can see to your mounts, ma'am."

Harriet glanced over at Quentin, then back at the Private, "I know, and we appreciate the offer. However, I think a person should take care of their animals before themselves. I would like to find a place to wash-up a bit afterward though. We need to see Colonel MacKenzie.

The Private showed them to a couple of empty stalls in the stable and where to find everything to care for their horses. Weems was leaving as they entered. He told Harriet and Quentin that he and the other two hands were going to grab a bit of food in the mess and make a tally of their remaining gear. Harriet promised to locate them after talking to the Colonel. A few minutes later, she had Spirit's saddle and bridle off of him and food and water in his trough, which he snorted at softly before beginning to eat. She brushed some of the dust off his black and white coat and then leaned on the stall rails looking over at Quentin, who was working on Paladin.

"Well, our first cattle drive certainly went awry," Harriet commented quietly, a note of amusement in her voice.

Quentin gave Paladin a few brushes along his back and side then looked over the horse's back at Harriet. "Shade will never let us hear the end of it after this, but I claim Force Majeure due to Indian interference, so it's not totally our fault." Quentin left Paladin happily eating from a trough as he put the stable items back and then leaned on the rail opposite Harriet. "It's still embarrassing, but I think we did pretty well with our lack of experience..." Quentin glanced around as his face grew more serious. "...Something feels wrong around here. I can't put my finger on it, but the men here feel worried. You can almost feel it in the air like before a storm comes up."

"Perhaps we can avoid giving Shade the details?" Harriet suggested mischievously. Then, her face fell, "That will never work if we have to make up a shortfall. We shall just have to put up with his teasing."

Harriet shifted her stance so that she was leaning closer to Quentin, allowing her to speak in a lower voice. "I noticed it too. Add to that, I checked before we left Kalispell on the drive. There were no reports of hostile Indian activity between there and Missoula. Fort Poison has always sent telegrams to the sheriff if there was a need for caution. Of course, it could have come after we left."

Quentin rubbed his chin as he considered what she was telling him. "I suppose...it is possible things happened quickly and the commander forgot to send an alert to Kalispell with preparing for an attack..." Quentin looked around as if hoping to see the answer he was searching for. "...We need more information before we can decide what to do next."

"Agreed," Harriet answered. She found it a pleasant feeling to not be at odds with Quentin for a change. That was a novel sensation that she would have to file away and worry about later. Harriet had not yet had time to examine why she had felt panicked at the thought of him being injured during the Indian attack. "We need to find out if Colonel MacKenzie can see us now. We have to inform him of our plans for retrieving the cattle and making up any shortfall anyway." Since Harriet was clad for the trail, she did not have a handbag with her. She pulled her saddlebags off the back of Spirit's saddle and slung them over her shoulder, "Ready when you are, Quentin."

@Longshot

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)

Macintosh smiled, “Reckon so. I’ll go get that done, then we’ll be back to take you up on that offer, stew sounds real good along about now.” He pointed to the building, “That’d be the C.O.’s office in there? Likely they both need to hear what I’ve to say.”

"Sargent, you might want your lookouts to be on the alert, them we chased were Sioux. Not sure what they're doing this far west, but that's who they were. Would'a though Flathead, maybe Blackfoot Confederation, even Kootenay. Doubt they'd be attackin' an outpost this large, but you never can tell, Indians are notional. Young bucks can be a problem."

Tag @Wayfarer@Bongo

The scout was correct and Braumann confirmed it, "Yes, that's the place. You can catch both officers in there. Kill two birds with one stone as the saying goes."

MacIntosh also talked about the Indians they had run into earlier, who he thought they were, and even some security concerns.

Braumann didn't doubt the man about which tribe it had been, the Sioux and the whites had been clashing off and one, mostly on, for the better part of a decade. With rumors of gold in the Black Hills, it was only going to get worse. However as to security.

"I'm no officer, I haven't got no authority over setting the watches. That's an officer's job unless he orders me to see to it. But I certainly can't see any Indians fool enough to attack a post with almost two hundred armed men here. Nothing much to gain and they'd lose a lot of their young bucks as you say," he smiled.

"Anyhow, you and your friend make your report then head over to that building right over there," he pointed, "the lady and me will be enjoying our stew and I'll make sure we don't eat it all so you two can down a bowl or two."

sgtsagarpg.jpg

@Flip @Bongo

"Lady!"  Rolling her eyes, Addy snorted, then grinned widely.  "That's gotta be it...them Injuns is waitin' ta get their hands on me!  That'd be worth attackin' a garrison for!"  Tossing her head, she laughed, then finished with her horses, making sure they were rubbed down and fed.

"Stew sounds good," she declared, "'course, I know not ta turn down a meal...even if it's possum or skunk, 'though those ain't my first choices!  There a place ta wash up?"

@Wayfarer

"Anyhow, you and your friend make your report then head over to that building right over there," he pointed, "the lady and me will be enjoying our stew and I'll make sure we don't eat it all so you two can down a bowl or two."

“Reckon we’ll head on over and report in then, thanks.” Macintosh said. “‘mon.”  Ke-Ni-Tay fell in with him as they started for the headquarters building. They were used to post life, they had seen enough of it in the past few years, in the South-west and on the plains, so this was not anything new.

They reached the door and knocked before entering, no solders were posted at the door. Macintosh opened the door and the two stepped inside, nodding to the officers.

MacKenzie's eyes shot to the door and the two men walking in. Neither one was a soldier and one was even an indian. "Can I help you gentlemen?" He asked, obviously unused to unannounced visitors. MacKenzie's hand came up and waved off Lieutenant Thomas and two troopers that appeared behind the two men. The young lieutenant looked angry and embarrassed but moved back to close the door. MacKenzie could see him ordering the two troopers to wait by the door until the two intruders left.

Brittles stepped out of the office and saw his scout and his indian friend. "Gentlemen." He looked at the lieutenant and the 2 troopers. "Lieutenant. These are 2 of my scouts. The two troopers will not be necessary."

Tag @Glenn@Longshot @Flip

Macintosh smiled. "'scuse me Sir, just reportin' that those that attacked the column were Sioux and they've high-tailed it." He said, then added,"Mixed bunch, believe one was Cheyenne, but most were Sioux, representin' several bands. Not sure what they're up to, but for now they're gone." He waited for either further questions, further orders, or dismissal.

Tag @Glenn@Longshot

Guest Glenn

Brittle looked at the man. "Thank you Mister Macintosh. As soon as the colonel decides, we'll take 25 men and go looking for the cattle. Please inform Miss Parker."

Colonel MacKenzie looked from the scouts to Brittles. "By all means...gather as many of those cows as you can, but do not let yourself get drawn into any fights, is that clear? Not until we are the ones deciding when to fight."

@Longshot@Flip@Wayfarer@Bongo@Glenn

large.Ke-Ni-Tay-5A.jpg.26ae55d8d1ddf7b359cd82ad925dbbc3.jpg"Yes sir," he replied, looked to Ke-Ni-Tay and added, "Well be to gettin' fed an' well be ready to ride when you are." It had been short and sweet, just the way Macintosh like reports. Although sometimes he was relaying enemy strength, where there could be trouble and alternate routes.

They turned and strode out of the office, both men thinking of the stew and probably coffee as well.

"Maybe warriors kill cows, not take like they think. Maybe hold them someplace to ambush sojers, Macintosh and Ke-Ni-Tay. Maybe cows waiting someplace to be found and there is no fight." The Apache mused, knowing what he would do, but these were not Apaches." They arrived at the barracks mess and stepped inside.

Tag @Wayfarer@Bongo

Guest Glenn

MacKenzie looked back to Brittles once the scouts had left. "I hope you know what you are doing, Major, for your sake and the men here at the fort..." Finally he waved a hand as he settled back in his chair. "Dismissed..."

Brittles watched the men depart.

So he left the colonel's office and headed to the officers mess to get something to eat. Been so long eating nothing but trail food, an actual meal would be welcomed.

"Colonel." Brittles saluted him, then turned and left.

@Flip@Wayfarer@Bongo@Longshot @Glenn

Nikolaus was good as his word about the food. The stew was thick with chunks of potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and a liberal use of salt and pepper. It was served with some freshly baked bread, seemingly nothing special to many but for the troopers, a luxury they only got in garrison as they had to settle for hardtack on campaign. There was no comparison. Steaming coffee in tin cups would wash it all down.

The veteran sergeant got teased some about him bringing in the woman to the mess but he only grinned and told the men to mind their own business.

"She is not here for any  of that sort of nonsense. The Indians chased her in here for now. Now behave yourselves," he declared.

Once both were sitting, Nikolaus tried and soup and nodded, the look on his face showing he was well satisfied with the quality.

"So you drive wagons for a living? How did you get into such a ...... career?" he now asked Addy.

sgtsagarpg.jpg

@Bongo

Guest Glenn

Major Brittles entered the officer's mess.

An orderly came up to him and saluted, "Table, major?" 

Brittles returned the salute. "Yes, please." The orderly led him to a table. 

"We have steak or stew, sir."

"Steak, medium. You have biscuits?"
"Yes sir, baked this morning."

"I'll have a beer with dinner. That'll be all." The orderly left, and Brittles looked around the room.

Nathan finished his meal, and found everything to be,  satisfactory.

He retired to another room where other officers were smoking. Nathan pulled a cigar from his jacket...it was his last one so he would have to find a source to get more.

He lite up, and sat down in an old chair. It was comfortable. There was a table by the chair, and on the table was a newspaper from back East. It was weeks old...but it was news from home.

@Flip@Wayfarer@Bongo@Longshot

"She is not here for any  of that sort of nonsense. The Indians chased her in here for now. Now behave yourselves," he declared.

Addy smiled and nodded to the men, then shrugged.  "Don't worry, they ain't gonna follow me here, they got better sense than that.  'Sides, they're probably hopin' ta round up some strays."  Even if most of the cattle were safe, there were bound to be a few that had wandered from the main herd, and even one or two would be a great prize to the local tribe.

She settled next to the sergeant with her bread and stew, not at all uncomfortable with the company as she started to eat.

"So you drive wagons for a living? How did you get into such a ...... career?" he now asked Addy.

"Pa was a mule skinner...so was most my brothers."  Grinning, Addy took another bite of the stew, glad that it wasn't jerky and stale biscuits.  "Had a whole slew'a brothers, I was th' baby, Ma died when I was real little an' Pa wasn't sure what ta do with a girl child, so..."  She shrugged, chuckling.  "An' my brothers took it on themselves ta see that I knew all I needed 'bout th' business an' takin' care'a myself."  Her grin widened.  "I just think on it as th' good Lord's way's keepin' me outta th' kitchen!"

About Sagas

Sagas of the WIld West is a roleplaying game set in a fictionalized version of the town of Kalispell in Montana territory. Our stories begin in 1875 and are set against the backdrop of actual historical events.Sagas was inspired by the classic television and movie westerns. Our focus is on writing, storytelling and character development.

Connect With Us On

discord_white

If you are already a member of our Discord server, click the image and it will take you directly to Sagas' server on Discord's web app. If you would like to join our server, click the invite link on the left (bottom of sidebar).

Site Credits

Founders: Stormwolfe & Longshot

Sagas' Rating

sagas-rating