Stormwolfe

Fort Maybe, Fort Maybe Not

Synopsis

Nothing in this plot idea is carved in stone! I am placing it in Site-Wide Plots because it has the potential of involving almost all of our characters. Glenn gets the final word since his character, Maj. Nathan Brittles is the lead.

Major Nathan Brittles will be arriving in the region. His orders are to secure land for a new fort (Fort Lincoln). He will then oversee its construction and take command of it when it is completed. It should be easy, right?

Not so much!

Possible plot points...

Competition between Whitefish and Kalispell to get the fort since it means that many more men in the area with money to spend. 

Land already belongs to XX (??, to be decided on), and they don't like the whole eminent domain decree.

Plenty of opportunities to encounter all of the characters as Brittles tries to carry out his orders.

Historical Notes

Everyone, please chime in... 

Frontier forts rarely were stockaded or walled. At most, they usually had a perimeter fence (See the rough sketch of 1874 Fort Laramie).

I need some feedback on what a fort-like this would have in the way of men/staff.

Once we have most of the details decided on, we'll do a wiki page and add Fort Lincoln to our Places.

Remember, we're doing this for Glenn's character Nathan (and hoping to attract a few players to his command maybe), so the final say on plot elements are his. I'm just helping out by getting it all set-up in writing!

Everyone feel free to comment, make suggestions and help Glenn out!

@Players

Going to need a Suttlers Store, chance for another civilian character/s.

Stormie and I were talking and yes, very few army forts out west bothered with walls. Bit more likely down in the deeper southwest due to adobe but even then often not. Indians went on the warpath mostly just to raid their enemies, a target like a manned fort even if it's only buildings is just too risky. The Indians would more than likely lose a bunch of warriors, something they could not afford. So there were almost no attacks on forts - only big one I can think was in Minnesota during the Civil War when the garrison had been reduced as most soldiers were off fighting the Civil War elsewhere.

I think especially with winter coming on, the soldiers would be more concerned with getting some building with roofs up so as to survive the Montana winter better. Hell with walls. :)

Hey! I want to thank everyone for their participation in this thread, ongoing discussions in Discord, and all of the wonderful historical assistance. I really do listen and take as much into consideration as I can while still keeping the RPG flowing. It is a balancing act to keep the feel of history and still blend the action and stories in the style of the old TV and movie westerns. With everyone's help, I think we are doing a superb job.

With all of that in mind - here is my understanding of where we are going...some of it with creative license.

Below is Longshot's plot idea regarding why so many local Indians came together and are willing to take on Fort Poison (real name: Fort Kilpatrick).

Okay, so my idea is this: The combined Army/Lost Lake group fends off the scouts and the group that attacked the cattle herd, but they also realize there are more warriors in the area...way more than either group of Indians encountered so far would account for. Now I figure they make their way to the Fort and meet the CO, who is pleased with word about the warriors around the fort, because he views it as a chance to engage the Indians in a set piece battle once and for all...which is why he is holding the son of the tribal chief as a prisoner and has spread the word he plans to execute him for crimes against the local settlers (no such has happened). Colonel No Name Yet figures the results will justify the means if he can bring the Indians to heel in the area and the gambit with the prisoner will be overlooked with a bloody victory for the newspapers to please people at their breakfasts.

Per @Wayfarer, the Plains tribes did not normally have such a cohesive response to anything. We might have to add another backstory layer to give them added incentive to want to free the Chief's son from captivity.

Other Plot Points

• Major Brittles is on his way north to the Kalispell region to oversee the building of the new fort (Fort Lincoln) and take command of it.
  • Colonel Crazy As Yet Unnamed may or may not be aware that Fort Kilpatrick (Fort Poison) is being decommissioned and he is being recalled / reassigned.
  • Fort Kilpatrick was originally built as a trading "fort". It has a low fence between some of the buildings to help contain livestock and the like. It is not a massive stockaded fort.
  • Harriet and Quentin with 3 NPCs (not named except for wagon driver, Weems) were driving a herd of 25 cattle to the fort to fulfill a contract with Lost Lake Ranch when they were attacked by a band of Indians. They managed to escape during the melee and have made it to the meadow where Brittles, his men, and Addy are. Indians are in pursuit.

?? I am assuming we all need to get to Fort Poison, find out Colonel Crazy's plots and all of that.

Fort Lincoln

• The original plan was that Brittles would scout out and secure land for the location of Fort Lincoln. While doing that, he and his men would set up camp in the Kalispell "Fairgrounds" (a large meadow west of town bordered by the fictional Chogun River. (I know! I need to work on maps).
  • Again, the original plan was to locate the fort between Kalispell and Whitefish. However, after a bit of discussion, we decided that the Steelgraves would oppose that plan since having a large fort near their holdings might infringe on their nefarious dealings.
  • Hence, I made a command decision to locate the fort where originally had it (before I decided to not deal with having a "Fort Kalispell"). Fort Lincoln will be a few miles south of Kalispell on a plateau surrounding by the mythical Chogun River and just to the north of Flathead Lake.

Backstory

The new Fort Lincoln will be built on the old site of a former trading fort called Fort Kalispell. Not lots of land prep involved, etc. This also means the new fort's residents will be close enough to Kalispell to be involved in lots of threads and storylines.

I am sure I've forgotten things but this is why we have discussion threads in the forums as well as on Discord.

Please let me know if I missed something.

PS: We will do up a wiki page for Fort Lincoln with its current played characters and NPCs.

@Players   @Sr. Moderator   @Members

Hey, tough luck for the Steelgraves. I doubt the army would care what they thought. The military could appropriate land and the government would pay the owner a  "fair" price for it. 

Sounds good though.

The Steegraves might object, but would certainly make their own change of plans to fit the narrative and the presence of Federal troops simply by revising Elias' map to facilitate the new fort, but will accept however it goes. Oh...and Elias will blame the Thorntons of course. LOL

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About Sagas

Sagas of the WIld West is a roleplaying game set in a fictionalized version of the town of Kalispell in Montana territory. Our stories begin in 1875 and are set against the backdrop of actual historical events.Sagas was inspired by the classic television and movie westerns. Our focus is on writing, storytelling and character development.

Connect With Us On

discord_white

If you are already a member of our Discord server, click the image and it will take you directly to Sagas' server on Discord's web app. If you would like to join our server, click the invite link on the left (bottom of sidebar).

Site Credits

Founders: Stormwolfe & Longshot

Sagas' Rating

sagas-rating