Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Sure, it's a deal."  She nodded, wondering if she really could homestead.  But then, she'd picked up the pieces after Andrew had died and started serving meals in a tent on a muddy street in a small mining town,  and now she had her own building and an employee, and was doing well enough to close up on a Sunday to go on a picnic.  Maybe having a ranch wasn't out of reach?   "In the mean time I'll start hoarding my pennies, and even if it falls through, I'll have the funds to take some time to go to the Yellowstone, or San Francisco."  Since she was pretty sure she'd never make it to Paris or Cairo.   @Flip
    • Quentin heard snow crunching and turned back from the telescope to see Shade climbing the small knoll to stop beside him. Quentin handed the telescope over to Shade and pointed. "There is the town rescue party. Looks like we timed it about right..." Quentin looked back at the Lost Lake group then to the town group. "I think our mounts are probably fresher. We should get ourselves in front to help clear a path for them to follow. What do you think?" Quentin swore softly and tugged his scarf up over his nose to protect his face from the biting cold. "I forgot how much I hate winter..."   @Stormwolfe for Shade
    • "Really?"  While she had been courting the idea for some time, she hadn't put much hope in it, the cafe took up a good deal of her time, and she was only now starting to turn a decent profit. “Shore ‘nuff, Miss Emeline.” He responded.   "I have no idea how to start," she declared, "so I would be happy to discuss the possibility, and I think you'd make a stellar hand!"  Then she looked at him a bit more seriously.  "Why don't you homestead?  I'm sure you would do better than I, and you'd need a good cook and ranch hand.  It makes more sense, don't you think?  Of course, I would help fund you...partners."  She smiled.   “Tell you whot, I’ve an idea or two rattlin’ around in ma head. When we get back ta town gimme a day ‘er two to sort out a couple things an’ then I’ll tell ya whot I found out an’ what I think kin be done about it. How’s thet?” He knew that a woman making inquiries would likely get nowhere in a big hurry, but a man, a man with experience, that would be a different matter all together.   Tag @Bongo
    • As Mike lead the Lost Lake riders, his mind drifted back to when he had first heard of the disaster...   "There you go gentlemen, a royal flush," Mike said with a smile as he put down his cards.  It was too bad that they were only paying with matchsticks or he'd would have most of the wages of the men he was playing poker with.  There wasn't much to do on days like this except the odd chores that involved taking care of animals or chopping wood.  Besides the men would need any money they did get to buy clothes to keep them warm as this winter was turning out to be one of the worse he had seen in years.   Just as Mike was scooping up his winnings, a loud banging on the door surprised everyone.  Stan told Marty that it was his turn to open the door, a job no-one really wanted to do as the cold air was just that. Marty got off his bunk and wrapped his blanket tightly around him.  He grumble something about how he thought it was Sam's turn and not his.  Opening the door, wide enough to let whoever it was in and keep the cold, Marty was taken aback, "What the heck?  I thought you would be in town by now."   The young hand, whose name was Pete, shook his head, "So did I but...well there's no easy way of saying this.  There are bodies out there just lying in the snow on the trail to Whitefish."   Mike got up and went over to the man, "What do you mean by bodies?"   Pete went over to the stove to get warm, "Bodies...men, women, and even little kids.  It was bad.  I told Mr. Cantrell about it and he said to get someone to ride into town to find out what was going on."   Sam grabbed his gloves, "I'll go.  Matt or Hannah will know something,"   Mike nodded, "All right, but take it easy the snow will be piled high enough to make it difficult."   After Sam had left, Mike turned his attention back to Pete, "Was there anything else?"   Pete nodded, "Yeah, Mr. Cantrell said he wanted you up at the house."   Just before he headed into his quarters, Mike went over to Stan, "Make sure the men are ready to ride just in case."   "You bet," Stan replied.   When he had gotten his coat, hat, scarf and gloves, Mike had made his way up to the main house where he waited until Sam returned.  It had taken a few hours but Sam came back with the news of the disaster that befallen Whitefish.  Not long after, a group from Lost Lake were on their way to help.   @Longshot (or anyone else who feels the need to jump in)
    • A frown appeared on Sarah's face.  She hadn't expected anyone to act on her behalf to contact Shade and she wasn't sure what to think of it.  Maybe it was part of the service the hotel gave but the owner should have had at least told her what he done and not spring it on her like this.  Here she was thinking she would have another day or two to prepare and now it could happen today.  The long-crafted letter she had in her hand now felt odd.   "i suppose I should thank for your help," she said solemnly, "So, I will say thank you but in the future, I would like to be advise of your intentions."   Matt sighed heavily, "You're right I should have told you and I did intend to but..."   "I know you were distracted by other things,"  By now she was getting a little bit vexed at what had occurred. "I hope you don't make a habit of interfering with all of your guests' personal business."   Before he answer, she held up her in a stopping motion, "It's not that I appreciate your help, it's more the fact that you did not ask me if you could.  I have never liked men making assumptions about me or for me."   Sarah turned to leave, "When my cousin arrives could you direct him to my room.  If I'm not there could you please ask him to wait. I will probably out shopping, so I won't be long gone."   With that, she walked out of the office.   @Stormwolfe (OOC: Ready to have Shade turn up  )
Andrea Carter

Good Food and Gossip

Mature Content: no

With: Ralph Flandry, Matilda Devereau, and anyone else who wants to join
When: September 1875
Time of Day: morning

content-divider.png

After an interesting conversation with the Pink Dick and a congratulatory bottle of applejack for Speed, Andy returned to her cart and began uncovering and untying her goods, crates of apple themed spirits, some bound for the saloon and some for the hotel. As she sorted the crates, Henry, her weathered old horse, turned his head and nickered at her, annoyed at being left unattended for so long.

"Don't worry, I ain't forgot about you," Andy said to her horse, pausing in her work to retrieve a foodbag from the cart. Filled with some oats and chunks of carrots and apples, it was a welcomed treat for the aging bay after the trek into town, and so he shuffled giddily as Andy came around the cart and slipped the foodbag over his muzzle and looped a strap behind his head to keep it in place. While Henry munched away happily, Andy gave the horse an affectionate pat down; this poor boy was getting old and she was going to have to retire him sooner than she'd like. Thankfully, her brewery was doing well enough that she'd be able to afford a new horse soon, but she and Henry had been through so much together...

With a sigh and another loving pat, Andy got back to work, hefting up a heavy crate from her cart and heading into the saloon. She paused just inside the door to let her eyes adjust to the dimmer lighting, then strode on over to the bar.

@Wayfarer

Sam was on his way back to the hotel when he saw a woman with fiery red hair carrying a heavy crate and heading towards the saloon.  After yesterday's interview at Lost Lake, he and his brothers had returned to town to gather their things.  They would be hitting the trail in about an hour or so.  That meant there was plenty of time to help the lady out.

Approaching the lady, he took off his hat and smiled, "Begging your pardon, Miss but I would like to offer my services and take that in for you."

@Monoui

"Oh, no need to bother, I've got it," Andy said with a grin. "But if you really wanna help, you can grab the other case from the cart, with the same bottles as this one," she offered in return. True to her word, there were several more cases in the back of her cart, two still tied down with taller bottles with a variation of colors of spirits, and one case containing more of the shorter, wider bottles that she carried. "Y'know, you look awfully familiar... By chance, you any relation of Matt Wentworth?" Andy asked with a curious tilt of her head.

@JulieS

Edited by Monoui (see edit history)

Sam smiled.  It wasn't that often he was recognised as a Wentworth due to his dark blond hair.  He and his sister had favoured their mother's side of the family while the others took after their father's.  "Yes ma'am.  Matt's my oldest brother.  My name's Sam."

He went over to the wagon and picked up the case which contained the bottles that were the same as the ones she was carrying.  "Me and my other two brothers only arrived in town at the end of last week.  I was on the way back to the hotel when I saw you."

As he followed her in, he wondered why she didn't have any help.  "Do you do this sort of thing often?  I mean do you always...well," he paused as he didn't want to offend the lady but being the gentleman he was taught to be he didn't feel it was right for her to carry such heavy loads.  "I'm sorry, I sometimes forget my place and it isn't my right to ask you about your circumstances."

@Monoui

Andy snickered at the blond Wentworth's attempt at gentlemanly conversation. "You're alright," she said to assure him that he had nothing to apologize for. "I used to help my dad when he ran the everything, but when he passed on a few years ago, I started doing it all myself. I sometimes get help from some boys near my farm 'cause I just ain't got enough hands to do it all alone, especially during the harvest, but deliveries I can usually handle by myself," she informed him as they entered the saloon together.

@JulieS @Wayfarer

Sam took a moment to allow his eyes to adjust to the darker interior of the saloon.  He hadn't a chance to come here yet but he had no doubt that he would be in here the next time he was in town as he would be with the other hands from Lost Lake.  Somehow, he didn't see the bar at the hotel catering to a bunch of men letting off steam after a hard week of work.

When the girl had finished speaking, Sam realised that he didn't know her name or where she was from.  Since she had mentioned her father, he decided that it might be a good way to ask who she was.  "Your father sounds like he was a man with a vision.  Establishing a business here would have needed one and it's not every day I meet a woman of enterprise, Miss...?"

@Monoui

"Carter, Andy Carter," the flame-haired woman introduced herself simply. "And it weren't so much vision as it was survival; he'd run the family business before the War decimated our farm, then when people started getting sick and dying, he knew we had to get out of there. Don't know why he chose to come out here, but I'm glad he did, the native apples and berries out here are perfect for brewin'," Andy informed him, her tone positive rather than saddened by the impact the Civil War had on her life. Upon approaching the bar, she set her case of applejack on the bartop and glanced around for Ralph or Matilda; she knew where the storeroom was where she could put her goods, but she didn't want to just go behind the bar without permission.

"So, what about you? What brings you and your brothers out here?" Andy asked in return as she leaned casually against the bar, content to wait a moment until Ralph or Tildy came around.

@JulieS @Wayfarer

After he placed the crate on the bar, he smiled.  It was good that she was sounding positive about what the war had done to her family.  He remembered the long talk he had with both Matt and Mike at the end of it when they all had been home for a brief visit.  What all three of them had been through would stay with them the rest of their lives and he had no doubt it would be the same for the lady.  Like her, he was one to be positive and to look ahead to the future.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Carter.  As for my family...as you well know, Matt bought the hotel a few months back.  My brother Mike was working at a ranch near Medicine Bow and I was working for one in Nebraska.  Our youngest brother Charlie joined us recently and we decided to come up here and join Matt."  He didn't want to go mention the fact that one of the reasons was to get far away from Washington and their father as they could.  There was comfort in numbers.

"Fortunately, we were able to get jobs at Lost Lake Ranch.  We're heading out there later this morning."

"Been delivering fancier spirits to the hotel for a while, so I met your brother when he bought the place," Andy related with an easy-going nod. "It's nice that you all came out to support him, and that you were able to find work so quickly. Anyhow, if you're heading out soon, don't let me hold you up; I appreciate that you helped me get my goods in, but I got it from here."

"Believe me, it was no trouble.  I was happy to help."  Sam shifted his stance a little, "I wish I didn't have to go so soon as I wouldn't mind learning more your family business.  if our paths cross again, I'll be sure to say hello.  Maybe even invite you to have a meal with me."

After grabbing his hat from the top of the crate where he placed it, he put it on.  Smiling, he said, "It was a pleasure meeting you Miss Carter."

He tipped his hat and then made his way out of the saloon.  As he walked to the hotel, he thought about their conversion and wished he had stay for a little while longer.  Mike would be not be pleased but it would be worth it.  Stopping he looked back at the saloon and realised that it was too soon to start thinking about things like courting.  The first thing he needed to do was to earn some money.  Besides he was new in the area and there would be other women to meet.  There was plenty of time to find out who they were before he could settle for just one.

With a smile, he turned and continued towards the hotel.

@Monoui

When Sam tipped his hat to her, Andy gave him a lopsided grin and then nodded in return. "See ya around, Sam Wentworth," she said, watching him as he left. Once Andy was again by her lonesome, she sighed and looked at her crates of applejack; her head was still smarting slightly from her hangover, so she was sorely tempted to open a bottle, but she suspected that the proprietors intending on receiving this delivery would not appreciate her doing so.

"Ralph! Ralph, your bar's on fire!" Andy called out jokingly, hoping to 'light a fire' under Ralph, as it were.

@Wayfarer

ooc: Sorry, it's called real life.

Ralph was a damn good bartender and he took his job seriously. The only reason he had stepped away was it was warranted. One of his beer kegs had run low and he now was rolling a replacement out of the back storeroom into the saloon proper. He stopped his task upon entering and looked up at the young gal.

"Yeah, yeah, hold yer horses. World don't revolve around you ya know, Apple gal," he replied but left the barrel there for the moment to go behind the bar.

"I see ya brought our delivery....that's always a good thing," he eyed the crates.

"Same cost as last time?" he asked.

"Yep, same price, but minus the cost for a helping of whatever you got cookin' in the back," Andy replied, her stomach sounding off with a gurgle of eager anticipation of a hot, filling meal. Andy blushed slightly at the audible feedback of her stomach. "Ah, sorry, been running on hard bread and jerky the past couple days getting everything done, but it's worth it just to be done with it for the year. And I think you'll like how this batch turned out. Want me to move it to the store room for you while you tap your keg?" Andy offered.

@Wayfarer

Just then Matilda came down the stairs from the second floor, both she and Ralph lived in the building, separate rooms of course. Though she was well aware of some of the women talking about them carrying on without being married. One thing about Matilda though, she did not give a damn what those old bities thought. They weren't paying customers. She had a frown on her face.

"What the hell is this about the saloon being on fire?" she demanded. There was obviously no evidence of that and Ralph was in no way hot and bothered about such a possibility.

Ralph chuckled, "Nothin's on fire. Apple girl thinkin' she's bein' funny."

"Oh?" Matilda raised one eyebrow as she focused on Andy.

"Yellin' a building is on fire your idea of a fun joke, missy?" she now asked.

Ralph let the womenfolk chat a bit while he restarted pushing the big barrel, manuvering it now behind the bar. He knew damn well Matilda wouldn't be helping him.

@Monoui

Edited by Wayfarer (see edit history)
  • Made Me Laugh! 1

"Uhhhh..." Andy droned on for a brief moment, dumbfounded that the tables had been so effectively turned on her by the sharp-witted Matilda. "Hey, I gotta get these cases into the storeroom for ya; I don't wanna get a reputation for being lazy!" Andy said in a hurried tone as she quickly hefted a crate from the bar in an attempt to deflect and escape.

@Wayfarer

"You do that then. I would hope you also would not want to get a reputation for saying things that are best left unsaid," Matilda nodded.

"She also wants some food, I was gonna get her some stew," Ralph pointed out while still working on the new beer barrel.

"I can do that," Matilda replied then called out to Andy who was disappearing into the storeroom, "You know where the kitchen is. When you're done there come into the kitchen and I'll have your stew ready."

@Monoui

"Yes'm," Andy called out as she rounded the bar and went back to the storeroom. Another trip later and both cases were neatly stacked amongst the other goods in the storeroom, then following Matilda's instructions, Andy found her way back to the kitchen. "Mmm, that's smells good," Andy said with a pleased hum as she caught the scent of stew. After a brief pause in the doorway to appreciate the smell and the comforting warmth of the kitchen, Andy entered fully. 

"Thank you, Tildy, you're an angel," Andy said when she saw the hearty stew being ladled into a bowl. Once again, Andy's stomach audibly grumbled, causing another faint blush to dust the rowdy ginger's face.

@Wayfarer

Matilda had the stew all dished out with the steaming bowl and spoon on the kitchen table, she gestured for the girl to seat herself on the closest chair. It was indeed thick and hearty beef stew and folks loved the taste of it. Matilda didn't make it but she had kept the cook on when she and Ralph took over the place, having heard of the woman's culinary talents.

"Sit down and eat. Must admit the last person to call me an angel was my now deceased husband, one of the few fond memories of that time," Matilda waved her hand for the girl to sit.

"I take it Ralph didn't pay you for your delivery yet?" she now had a business question. Actually she managed the finances of the business not Ralph. He took care of bartending and busting up fights.

@Monoui

Edited by Wayfarer (see edit history)