Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Oh, well then, it's just a matter of finding a couple of desperadoes who are willing to work in exchange for bunks, good grub and a place to hide from the law!"   Emeline laughed, then shrugged.  "Well, I have all Winter to plan and save, so I should have it figured out by the thaw!"    Thing was, she was really starting to think about it, although she knew there was a lot to consider.  Still, under the right circumstances she might actually be able to make a go of it.   "At least I do have a good business for now, and I can set some money aside."  Grinning, she glanced at him.  "I don't suppose you're a wanted desperado looking for a hide-out that has amazing pies?"   @Flip
    • With the contract and the property deed in hand, Speed stepped across the street, a broad smile on his face and an excited bounce in  his step. The easy part was done.  There were a few things he needed to get done, furnishings for the office either needed to be purchased or built, then there was the signage, both for the building and the front window announcing Wood and Guyer Mineral Company.   That thought gave him pause, from roaming the west buying up claims, to opening the first office outside of New York City. He exhaled deeply. This was new territory for him, exciting territory that could grow into a highly profitable business.   He opened the door and stepped inside 'his' building, his office, his home, and actually looked at the place with a new set of eyes. The back room  would be his office, the front would contain up to four desks, if that many were needed.   He smiled, he was suddenly a man with two offices. He had questions, so it was time to get some answers. The best place for that would be the merchantile.   TBC
    • He snickered at the mention of the most stubborn animals on earth, but they were good for an number of jobs one would not want to use a horse for. He could see her dreaming of what it would take to get a ranch off the ground while trying to run a business some miles away. Not an easy thing to do.   "Well granted yah gotta be able to get the buidin's up first, and thet jest takes time an' hard work. 'course now, hirin' a couple men ta help out, thet'd get 'em up right quick." He offered. "Not ta mention ya gotta pay 'em, though it'd shorely be worth it." Mentally, Barnabus 'Pronto' Pike was way ahead of her. He knew what it would take, and most likely how long.   Tag @Bongo
    • Luke waved, "Bye, Marshal.  Best of luck to you as well."   As he watched the Marshal depart, Luke wondered how long it would before other mining companies would be turning.  Once word got out that a mining company from the east had set up a permanent office Kalispell, others would follow.  He didn't know what it would mean for the town and the surrounding countryside but one thing he did know was that more business for the bank meant the greater chance of getting a promotion and a desk of his own.   A polite cough alerted him to the fact that another customer had arrived.  He smiled, put his dreams to the back of his of mind and went back to work.   @Flip
    • "That would be a lot of work with the cafe," Emeline mused.  Homesteading really wouldn't be possible while she was working in town, but she didn't have the means yet to give up the cafe.    Then she chuckled.  "Well, it sounds like a lot of work anyway.  House wouldn't be too bad, just a simple square to start, right?"  Her wheels were turning, however slowly.  "So initially it comes down to having the funding to buy your cows and have...or my horses...and the equipment to care for them...but that means a barn for the Winter since there aren't really any lower pastures to keep them over the cold season..."   Homesteading sounded like a good way to have some independence, but as a single woman, she'd need a decent savings built up first.   "I might try that someday.  Have my own place, raise Morgans and donkeys...because they're cute!"   @Flip  

"Men and their meat and potatoes!" Emeline commented with a smile and a quick shake of her head.  "I convinced my Andrew there were other things that were at least palatable, so maybe I'll make you my next project!"

He looked at her almost in disbelief. “Well, shore.”  He all but mumbled

She munched on another bit of cobbler, then answered, "I'm from Illinois originally, but Andrew got caught up in the silver fever and moved us to Dakota."  Her tone was even, but there was a hint of sadness.  "He was killed in an accident a few years ago, so I started cooking to support myself."  It was really a lucrative business, especially with women being a relatively rare commodity in this area, so she was doing well with it.  "I just relocated here when I heard that the cafe was available...a building beats a tent any day, especially when it's cold and wet!"

“Terrible sorry to hear of your loss. Seems that prospectin’ causes more grief of one kind or another than it does makin’ folks rich.” Pronto said. “Now, Marshal Guyer, he’s whatcha call a speculator. Buys and sell claims. ‘Course him Marshalin’ don’t give him time to be looking. But that seems a mite easier, and safer way to make money off’n mining.” The took the last of the cobbler before continuing, “Ain’t no camparin’ no tent to a buildin’, none a-tall. Glad you ws the one what bought the place.”

Tag @Bongo

Emeline gave Barnabas a slight smile and a nod at his comment on losing people.  While the sting was still sharp, even a couple of years later, she had gotten past the awkwardness that came with the topic.  "Mining or something else..."  It had taken her a long time to accept that life was frail and tenuous, especially for children, although she didn't broach that subject.

"I was very pleased to find this place, it suits me much better than some of the places I looked at and the owner was willing to help me finance it."  She smiled.  "Goodness, some of the available properties I looked at along the way were little better than shacks, some were far too large and expensive, and some were in towns so tiny and floundering that there was no question why they were for sale.  This has the rooms above it, and is just right...oh, but I'm rambling.  What about you, Barnabas, do I detect an accent?"

@Flip

"Mining or something else..."  It had taken her a long time to accept that life was frail and tenuous, especially for children, although she didn't broach that subject.

"Oh, minin’. Speed, he’s on the level.” Pike responded, afraid he may have given the wrong impression of the man.

"I was very pleased to find this place, it suits me much better than some of the places I looked at and the owner was willing to help me finance it."  She smiled.  "Goodness, some of the available properties I looked at along the way were little better than shacks, some were far too large and expensive, and some were in towns so tiny and floundering that there was no question why they were for sale.  This has the rooms above it, and is just right...oh, but I'm rambling.  What about you, Barnabas, do I detect an accent?"

Enthralled, it almost surprised him that he caught her question. “Texas. Crockett Texas, named fer Davy.” He explained. “Died with the rest at the Alamo back in ‘36. Me, I been a sight a places. Rode fer the pony express, fought with the eighth Texas, drove freight some, was rangerin’ there fer a spell after the war. Ever hear of Virginia City, down Nevada way? Was up there a while afore here.” He shook his head, realizing he sounded like some ne’er-do-well, saddle tramp.

Tag @Bongo

"I've heard of Virginia City," Emeline answered, "I hear it's pretty wild...worse than this place!"  She laughed, then shrugged.  "Must be a pretty interesting place.  I've never been farther west than this, though.  It sounds like you have seen plenty of places."  And it made her wonder how lone he would stay here.  "I would like to go to San Francisco one day, to see the Pacific Ocean.  I can't imagine what that must look like."

The idea of such a huge body of water was almost incomprehensible, and it was one of the few dreams she had allowed herself, not that she'd ever get to see it through.  "So, have you ever seen anything like that?"  Texas had the Gulf, but it was a huge territory, and one could likely live there all their life and not see it all.  "What is the most amazing thing you've seen?"

@Flip

"I've heard of Virginia City," Emeline answered, "I hear it's pretty wild...worse than this place!"  She laughed, then shrugged.  "Must be a pretty interesting place.  I've never been farther west than this, though.  It sounds like you have seen plenty of places."  And it made her wonder how lone he would stay here.  "I would like to go to San Francisco one day, to see the Pacific Ocean.  I can't imagine what that must look like."

“Seen a paintin’ of it once, ‘bout as close as I’d ever come.” Pronto admitted. “The Comstock, thet’s what it’s called up there on Sun Mountain. It’s wild enough. They’ve law and order, but it can get outta hand time to time. Lotta crooked deals goin’ on. But a lotta hard workin', honest folk for the most part.” He grinned, “Folks from all over the world."

The idea of such a huge body of water was almost incomprehensible, and it was one of the few dreams she had allowed herself, not that she'd ever get to see it through.  "So, have you ever seen anything like that?"  Texas had the Gulf, but it was a huge territory, and one could likely live there all their life and not see it all.  "What is the most amazing thing you've seen?"

“Well, was down to Galveston once, right there on the gulf, thet was a pretty big body o’ water. It jest sortta went on an’ on, seemingly without end. Reckon the Pacific’d be jest like it.” He paused. “Seen a lot, I have. Whot with the war an’ all, ridin’ for the express, bein’ a Ranger. But mostly what I’d say was amazin’, well, some pretty simple things I reckon. Sun rises an’ sun sets when I shouldn’t’a seen either. But, open country, clouds rollin’ across a wide blue sky, the prairie glistenin’ after a rain. Things of that sort.”

"Well, I must admit that growing up on the plains, I really love the mountains," Emeline observed. "There really is nothing like the sunrises and sunsets in the mountains, well, or anywhere, for that matter.  The colors are amazing, especially against the peaks covered in snow.  And the storms..."  She smiles wistfully.  "The power is amazing, I know they can be so destructive, though.  Funny how Nature can be so beautiful and terrorizing all at once."

More than just weather, but life itself could be that way, sometimes amazing and beautiful, then it kicked you in the head!  "At any rate, I'm trying to at least save for a stereoscope so I can live vicariously!"

@Flip

“Sounds like most men I’ve known.” Pronto observed, followed by a laugh. “I do agree about sun rise and sun set in the mountains. Not too many in Texas, but I seen and be in my share of ‘em. An enjoyed most every moment of it.”

More than just weather, but life itself could be that way, sometimes amazing and beautiful, then it kicked you in the head!  "At any rate, I'm trying to at least save for a stereoscope so I can live vicariously!"

“A stereoscope? Now what’d that be, if I might ask?” Vicariously troubled him as he fished for a meaning but came up empty. What was it and why would anybody want to live that way? Was it good? Bad? Fun? Just what was it? He’d have to ask Missus Everson when he got back to the boarding house.

Tag @Bongo

"Oh, it's...an apparatus that you hold to your eyes..."  Emeline had never thought about describing one, and found that it wasn't easy!  "There are cards that sit past the lenses, and they have two photographs on them, and you..."

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a neatly folded page from a Montgomery Ward catalog and smoothed it out on the table.  "That's it.  When you get the cards in the right place, you can see a realistic image, just like you were there."  Her enthusiasm was starting to show!  "And you can get sets of cards from exotic places such as the Pyramids in Egypt, or the Forum in Rome!  Some have all manner of animals...lions, elephants, rhinoceroses, kangaroos!"  Some of which she wasn't sure she really believed even existed...It's a pity that Mr. Barnum's museum is no longer there, I would have loved to see the wonders that it held."

@Flip

Pronto’s brow furrowed as he looked at the drawing and the description of this apparatus that Emeline had her heart set on. He read the description twice to fully understand what this was and what it would do. He immediately understood the attraction for this item. The ability to see places and things that folks in Montana likely would never see.

“Now that’s somethin’ that’d be a pleasure ta own. Take a body places they’d likely never be able to go to.” He exclaimed. It struck him that regardless of cost, he could afford such an extravagance, but the reality was, he hardly knew her at all, and doing something as bold as buying it for her might turn the situation away from the direction he wanted. Suddenly he was conflicted.

Tag @Bongo

"The only thing missing is the food, and I did order a World cookbook so I can try different things from around the wold, provided I can find the ingredients, or improvise."  She smiled, a bit wistfully.  "Then, when I can travel, I'll know which places I'll really prefer...although I can't imagine not wanting to go to Paris...or Rome...Cairo, Vienna, Amsterdam, London..."

Laughing, she shook her head.  "At any rate, in the mean time, if I do manage to make something exotic, I can use a taster, even if it is a 'meat and potatoes' sort of gent."

@Flip

“Heard about them places. I was in Rome durin’ the war fer a bit.” He said with a straight face. “‘course thet was Rome, Georgia. You know there’s a Paris in Texas too, not none of them other places though.” Then Pike cracked a grin, looking at Emeline. “I’d be proud ta try whatever you was fixin’. Jest give a hollar an’ I’ll show up, count on it.”

This had turned into a most surprising morning. Pronto had just wanted to learn her name, and it had gone so much further than a simple introduction. Here they were talking about food and recipes she wanted to try from places he could barely imagine, oh, he’d seen drawings and even a couple of paintings of foreign places, but now they took on a different meaning for him.

“I know this place’ll keep ya hoppin’, but if there’s a time why I’d like ta take ya fer a ride. Some right purdy country around here. I’d even hire a buggy if’n you weren’t fer ridin’.”

Tag @Bongo

"Oh, well..."  Similar offers weren't unusual from the cowboys who came through on a regular basis, after all, 'eligible' ladies were at a premium in these parts, but this was the first time she didn't feel the urge to start making excuses.  "It's been ages since I was riding, and honestly, I miss that."  Her smile widened.  "I have Sunday, if that is acceptable, after church, of course.  And I can pack us lunch, make the day of it?"

Maybe she was being more enthusiastic than he'd intended, but it had been a while since she had used a closed day for something other than housework or doing something for the cafe, and the idea of just leaving for a whole day was enticing.

"Oh, I don't have a horse myself, though, if that is a problem?"

@Flip

"It's been ages since I was riding, and honestly, I miss that."  Her smile widened.  "I have Sunday, if that is acceptable, after church, of course.  And I can pack us lunch, make the day of it?"

“Sunday? Shore, Sunday’d be fine.” Pike responded, somewhat off guard by the unexpected acceptance of his offer. He had hoped she would accept, but was not quite ready for a yes.

"Oh, I don't have a horse myself, though, if that is a problem?"

“Ah, ani’t no problem, no problem a-tall. I’ll have you proper mount, say nine o’clock. ‘Er is that too early?” He asked, grinning like a school boy. “Oh, you do ride, I mean, any horse’ll do ya? Maybe you’d want a gentle animal, or one with spirit? Jest makin’ sure.”

Tag @Bongo

"Spirited, but not wild."  A wistful smile crossed her lips.  "I used to tear across the fields bareback with my brothers when I was young, I loved it!  I just haven't had cause to ride lately.  If I go anywhere, I usually need the buckboard to get supplies, and even then, the mercantile will deliver most of what I order." 

Shaking her head, she took a sip of coffee.  "I've been thinking about taking a day off, and I really haven't had a chance to look over the area.  I've heard there's a waterfall, it should be quite active with all the rain we've had...provided we can make it out there."  Another good reason not to take a buggy...they could get to more places on horseback.

Maybe she was doing well enough now that she could take off one day a week, or at least an evening, especially if her idea of selling box lunches to the miners and cowboys panned out.

@Flip

Posted (edited)

“ Well then, You can count on an animal with some spirit come Sunday, say the afternoon? Early or late, or even first thing, after church, if you’s be attending.” He suggested the it dawned on him, she had just said she’d take the day off.

“Well, reckon I need to clean out ma ears. I heard you plain that you was takin’ the day off. He admitted timidly. “I know the waterfall, well worth the ride out to it. So you just pick a time an’ I’ll have you a mount an’ be ready to ride when you are.” This was far beyond what he had though could happen.

Tag @Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

“ Well then, You can count on an animal with some spirit come Sunday, say the afternoon? Early or late, or even first thing, after church, if you’s be attending.” He suggested the it dawned on him, she had just said she’d take the day off.

"Oh, well, of course after church, but right after, if that's all right?"  After all, she may as well make the most of it if she wasn't going to open the cafe, but then, she didn't want to pressure him, either.

“Well, reckon I need to clean out ma ears. I heard you plain that you was takin’ the day off."  He admitted timidly. “I know the waterfall, well worth the ride out to it. So you just pick a time an’ I’ll have you a mount an’ be ready to ride when you are.” This was far beyond what he had though could happen.

"All right, then!"  She smiled, finding his correction, and his humble demeanor engaging and genuine.  "How does eleven sound?  That will give me time to get home from church and change and get us a lunch packed, if that suits you?"

@Flip

(If you'd like, you can just get that started in a new thread)

“Yes ‘um, suits me jest fine. Eleven o’clock, I’ll be there sure as the sun rises.” He agreed. He was thinking that this was too good to be true, but on the other hand, the thought of spending time with Emeline Blakesley had him dancing inside. It might take a week or better to wipe the smile off his face, which he didn’t mind at all. “Then it’s all set. I best let you get back to yer business here.”

TBC