Total Posts

A New Day

Mature Content: No.

Author:  Speed

With: Speed Guyer, others
When: 1875
Time of Day: mid morning

content-divider.png

The new day dawned sunny and bright, the rain had passed. The morning was spent sweeping the mud out of the office and off the porch, then retiring to the office to clean his boots. Damnable mud!

As he sat there he thought perhaps he’d head over to the Stardust, maybe have a beer, been a while since he’d talked with Flannery or Miss Devereau in some time, which led to the thought he’s not seen Hannah Cory in quite a while. Maybe his rounds today might include those he’d not visited with of late.

The fall colors were changing rapidly, announcing the coming winter months where closing in, which meant being closed in most days. Of course it also meant the cafes and restaurants would be doing good business, not to mention the saloons, provided folks could get out and about. And that could cause problems as well.

Speed realized that with the winter doldrums and the whiskey mixed in could cause tempers to be short, and that could lead to fights, with fists, knives and guns. It was not a pleasant thought, yet it was a ways off, so he shook it free of him as he went to the stove to pour a cup of coffee, turning, hand on his hip, cup to his lip sipping staring out the window at pretty much nothing.

Tag Any (TBC)

Speed realized that with the winter doldrums coming on and the whiskey mixed in could cause tempers to be short, and that could lead to fights, with fists, knives and guns. It was not a pleasant thought, yet it was still a ways off, so he shook it free of him as he went to the stove to pour a cup of coffee, turning, hand on his hip, cup to his lip sipping staring out the window at pretty much nothing.

Word was that the harvest Festival was on tap, bu he had not heard of any dates, though he had not bothered to ask about it. He would of course, read about it in the Union, once an article was written. His immediate thought was the event would be good for the community, the change of seasons always had a effect on folks. The cooler weather would at first be refreshing, prior to being the precursor to the weather that would follow. So it would be a both a profession and a pleasure appearance for him.

Nothing he liked better than a good hoe-down, often known as a hoe-dig, shin-dig, or stomp, depending on the part of the country one was in, though all those names were in use all over the west as men and women were known to move about and bring their words and traditions with them. He smiled to himself, it was going to be a grand time. They always were.

He set the cup on the desk as he moved to get his hat and coat. There would be a chill in the air, a mild one, but if there was a wind, or even a breeze it would go right to the bone. Time to get out and about.

TBC

Speed stepped out of the Municipal building from his office door and onto the boardwalk. Traffic on the street was light, folks on the boardwalk were few. He surveyed the street, scanning one end to the other, not really looking for anything in particular, just seeing. The thought of the office for the mining company crossed his mind. Might be a good day to look into that. He wasn't earning his keep from the company of late, but then, he's been busy.

He stepped off into the street, waited for an wagon to pass, waving to the driver, then crossing to the other side, up onto the walk and then straight for the Stardust Saloon, noting a couple horses stood at the hitch rails. There was a wagon in front of the General Store, a buckboard in front of the mercantile.

He push through the bat wing doors and into the saloon. Stepping over to the bar he smiled. "Morning Mister Flandry. Got any coffee on?" He asked in greeting.

Tag @Wayfarer

Ralph was drying beer glasses behind the long bar when he looked up to see who the latest customer might be. Ahh, the lawman. He slowly nodded affirmatively to the man's question. It had been awhile since the fellow had visited.

"I got coffee in the back, might have to warm it up some," he admitted.

"Guess your legal duties precludes you drinking?" he smiled.

With little to do other than walk the boardwalks, Speed had literally nothing better to do than to wait on coffee. “Well, no rush Ralph, none at all. And I would suppose that the town council might not appreciate their lawman drinking in the morning, but then they may not care either. Me, I’m not one to drink this early anyway."

This, of course, was simply a social call, see if there was anyone new in town that Flandry may have seen, as well as general conversation. "I had heard of a young fellow,a prospector, you see I'm considering finding some office space for my company, Wood & Guyer Mining Co. out of New York. Like to speak to the lad, see if he might be interested in what we do."

Tag @Wayfarer

"Fine then, I'll be right back, gonna put the coffee on the fire," Ralph nodded then retreated into the interior of the building.

He returned quickly enough, "Be a few minutes and it should be plenty hot by then."

Ralph hadn't forgotten the man's question about that young man though and immediately set about answering it to the best of his ability.

"Yeah, I think I know which one you mean. Course could be other prospectors about nowadays," he shrugged.

"Last week we had us a young man, Irish no doubt about that - all you had to do was listen to him talk. I don't know his last name but his Christian name is Robert.... Bobby....what have you."

"He lives outside of town, he said that much. He also said he looks for gold but by the look of his clothing, he ain't very successful at it. One thing he is good at though is using his fists," Ralph grinned.

"A bigger man picked a fight with him and Bobby boy dropped him like a sack of grain with a good right left combination," he recalled it with obvious amusement.

@Flip

“Like I said, no rush. The boy sounds interesting, and capable. Which leads to the question, if he’s not doing so good on his own, I’m wondering how he’d feel about making some serious  money scouting out minerals and such.” Speed reacted.

“Guess I should take a ride out there and find  out for myself.” He surmised. “Need to find office space though.”

So, Miss Devereau? How is she? It has been sometime since I’ve seen the two of you. Though I have heard the place is doing well, and that’s always good.”

Tag @Wayfarer

"Don't really know him all that well at all. But he's quiet, behaves himself when he's in here," Ralph commented.

"Yeah, wouldn't hurt to offer him the job, worst that could happen would be he sez 'no', I reckon," he replied.

"Oh, Matilda is in the back office, wrestling with the bookkeeping part of this job. Better her than me. Numbers n' me never were well acquainted you might say," Ralph grinned.

"If you wanna talk to her about somethin' I can go get her. She might be glad to get away from that stuff for awhile," he offered.

Well, Ralph was right, the very worst that could happen would be the young mans refusal. His remark about numbers brought a smile to Speeds lips.

“Oh, no, nothing that can’t wait, Ralph. Like I said, I just dropped in to say hello and see how things were.” Speed replied about Ralph taking Matilda away from the book keeping duties.

“With the cold weather coming and then winter setting in before we know it I thought I’d stop in, I mean this is a clearing house for information most times. Wondered if there was anything about the cattle drive or the Army headed this way we hadn’t heard yet.”

Ralph decided to let Tildy be then with her bookkeeping since the lawman had no pressing interest in wanting to talk to her, simply being social it seemed.  He did ask a couple of questions though, hoping that saloon gossip might have reached Ralph's ears over a couple of occurances.

"Nope, afraid I can't help you about any cattle drive. You know which ranch or ranches?"

As to the second item, Ralph shrugged, "We've heard off and on that the Army is thinking of building a fort closer to town. When and exactly where though seems to be a mystery. It might bring this place some more business but the down side is sometimes off duty soldiers can get a little....you know ... rambunctious."

"I ought ta know, I was one in the late war," he smiled.

• JulieS locked this topic