Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Jonah couldn't help but wonder what she had left unsaid, but he wasn't going to push her on it, and he couldn't help but chuckle at her convictions.  If anyone could get this done, it was Leah Steelegrave!    "The paper can be a good ally, that's certain."  Jonah sipped his coffee, then added, "perhaps just a small story to start, but reserve anything major in case there's a great deal of resistance?"  If they did a big story on the dealings too soon, then, if her father started pushing too hard, they could use the paper as a means of fighting back.   "I can send for Dr. Boone, if you'd like?  Weedy is around here someplace..."   @Flip      
    • "You're too kind." He shook his head with a smile and set out to do hos business out there although there was no need for a newspaper but for a lantern because the sun had set. Jay trudged through the snow. When he returned he found a corner and announced. "The warm water is for washing myself. I don't want to dirty your nice blankets. After he had explained, he took his jacket and shirt off but kept his undershirt on. He didn't feel it was appropriate with a girl and boy in the house to loose more clothes. Then he washed his face and arms with the soap and water and gor dressed again before he got comfortable on the blankets. His wound had healed well and he was feeling much better thanks to Addy. "Do you know the coach driver...Adelaide?" He asked her father. "She's given me a roof over my head...in her barn....since the fire. "
    • Jay had a nice buzz going but he wasn't drunk enough to notbnotice the change in her attitude. That joyful tone went out the window when she saw how much he'd drunk. "I'm going to pay for it. Don't worry." He tried to calm.hercdown when she suddenky called for help that appeared out of the blue in the form of an older threats ing sounding man. Instinctively Jay slowly raised his hands away from his gunbelt. "Sir...I meant no harm. We were dancing because your daughter told me she's the best dancer in the state and she had encouraged me with some pretty music. A walz is all I wanted. I swear. There's no need for any shooting. Take my gun. " He was adressing the gun owner behind him but his eyes were fixed ob the girl, hoping she'd correct her mistake.
    • With a bit of hesitation he climbed onto the back of her horse. The saddle was very tight for both of them but if he sat further back he'd hurt the horses back with his weight. Sitting this close to Addy and feeling her body (even covered in many layers of clothing was getting Jays imagination very active. He had to concentrate not to let it show. "Yeah. .sounds good." He replied to both questions because his mind was elsewhere. "Won't people in town wonder why we're sitting this close if they see us. One might come riding out here...I don't want to ruin your reputation."
    • "I've no doubt on that!"  Emeline laughed as she sat, a laugh of pure joy.  "I can just imagine the mischief we'll get into wedded!  We've caused enough trouble as it is." “Mischief? The two of us? How kin thet be, Em? Why we’re , we’re...caused enough trouble you say? Was I not with you when this happened an’ you think I wuz?” He chimed in.   Although they had met just a few months ago, they had actually spent a good deal of time together, not just leisure time chatting, but actually working together, planning together, and just recently dealing with the carnage in Whitefish.  She had no doubt they would do well in marriage, and she had none of the girlish illusions she'd had the first time.   "Of course," she quipped as she moved the cheese blintzes from their serving platter to smaller plates, "I saved the dishes for you!" “I’ll have you know, ma’am I am a profess’nl pearl diver, if I do say so ma’ sef!” He stated proudly.   Laughing, she set a plate in front of Barnabas.  "This is blackberry preserves, and strawberry jam," she indicated the small jars.  "More dishes to wash...Oh, and I should teach you how to make preserves!" “Ma al’ays made up the best perserves, cain’t hardly wait’ll I try yers. Cuz up ta now, you make the best ever’thin’ I ever et!” Which was true, well since he was grown. “Ya know I don’t mind doin’ tem dishes. Keeps me close to ya.”   Tag @Bongo

Croft shook his head, "No need for me to go over with you while you take a look at the building.  It's probably better if you take your time to make sure everything is to your liking. Hate to go through all this and find out later on that it didn't come up to scratch."

He pulled open one of the drawers in his desk and pulled out a set of keys, "Here you go and when you're finished just bring them back.  We can talk over terms then as it will gives us some time to get the paperwork ready just in case you do want to buy.  I know you're a busy man, so I don't want this to take any longer than needed either."

Handing the keys over to Guyer, Croft smiled, "It will be a great boon to Kalispell to have such a prestigious firm such as yours here in town."

@Flip

Croft shook his head, "No need for me to go over with you while you take a look at the building.  It's probably better if you take your time to make sure everything is to your liking. Hate to go through all this and find out later on that it didn't come up to scratch."

“I appreciate that Mister Croft. The point being just about anyplace would do, but having fit what I want in a place, and what I am willing to accept because getting everything one’s after just doesn’t work that way.

He pulled open one of the drawers in his desk and pulled out a set of keys, "Here you go and when you're finished just bring them back.  We can talk over terms then as it will gives us some time to get the paperwork ready just in case you do want to buy.  I know you're a busy man, so I don't want this to take any longer than needed either."

Speed wanted to laugh at the notion he was all that busy, truth be told, he just wasn’t. “Good. Having everything ready will be a big help, and make it easier on both of us.”

Handing the keys over to Guyer, Croft smiled, "It will be a great boon to Kalispell to have such a prestigious firm such as yours here in town."

“Well that’s what I’m hoping, and I’m sure my partner is as well. The west has a lot to offer, opportunity abounds out here, but then you of all folks’d know that. I’ll not be long., sir.”

Speed left the bank and made his way to the building in question. On closer inspection the paint was as good as new, window glass was perfect. Inside was somewhat musty, but open windows would cure that. He smiled looking over the ground floor, it was deep enough, with two rooms. That would do admirably. He mounted the stairs quickly and opened the door at the top, to find a spacious parlor, as he ventured inside he found the bedroom, which was also a bit larger than he had expected, best of all, it was fully furnished.

He bounded down the stairs, out the door, closing it without locking it as his mind was made up.

Tag @JulieS

As Croft waited for Guyer to return, he mused over what else he could offer the man.  Always on the lookout for ways he could expand the bank's services, Croft wondered if Guyer and his partners would be interested in setting up some sort of investment service where people could buy shares in the mining company.  He jotted down some notes and put them into the file belonging to Guyer.  Now, would not be a good time but he would make sure he bought it up in the future.

By the time, he had finished writing his notes, Luke had entered the office to hand him the contract for the sale of the building.  It was a standard sale contract that they had on hand with room for the necessary particulars to be added.  It had been much easier to get one of these contracts printed and then used them as they were needed.

After giving the contract an in-depth going over, Croft was satisfied.  All that was needed was the signatures and a receipt that would be written as soon as the deal was done.  Now, he just had to wait until Guyer returned.

@Flip

Speed bounded up on the boardwalk and entered the bank, a wide smile as he entered the office of Stanley Croft.

"Perfect!" He said.The furnishings upstairs were a surprise, but a welcome one, that's for sure. Hold down expenses. Just need desks and we're off and running." Next of course would be cost, but Speed was sure that it wouldn't be a problem, not with the regular deposits.

"Shall we get down to brass tacks then?" Speed asked.

Tag @JulieS

Croft smiled and handed the sales contract over to Guyer, "Just take your time going through that and when you're done just sign it at the bottom."

When Guyer had finished, Croft nodded, "Now all we need is the payment and I can fill in the receipt and sign it."

After the transaction had been completed, Croft handed over the receipt, "Congratulations, Marshal on buying your first office here in Kalispell.  If there is anything else you would like us to take care, please do not hesitate to drop in."

@Flip

Croft smiled and handed the sales contract over to Guyer, "Just take your time going through that and when you're done just sign it at the bottom."

Speed read the contract through twice, insuring he understood all of it. Not that is was lengthy, it was straight forward, to the point. Mostly an agreement on a surprisingly reasonable price. Then without hesitation, Speed signed the sales contract.

When Guyer had finished, Croft nodded, "Now all we need is the payment and I can fill in the receipt and sign it."

“Ah yes, the cash to seal the deal and I believe that is already in your vault.” Speed said with a smile. I’ll sign a withdrawal for you as well, make it easier all around, here,” He took out his pass book for the notation for the deduction.

After the transaction had been completed, Croft handed over the receipt, "Congratulations, Marshal on buying your first office here in Kalispell.  If there is anything else you would like us to take care, please do not hesitate to drop in."

Speed stood, reached across and shook Croft’s hand. “Been a real pleasure doing business with you. And, looking forward, I’m sure there will be other transactions, hopefully sooner than later. Good day sir.”

On his way to the door he paused, “Good to see you Luke, my best to your bride.”

Tag @JulieS

Luke waved, "Bye, Marshal.  Best of luck to you as well."

As he watched the Marshal depart, Luke wondered how long it would before other mining companies would be turning.  Once word got out that a mining company from the east had set up a permanent office Kalispell, others would follow.  He didn't know what it would mean for the town and the surrounding countryside but one thing he did know was that more business for the bank meant the greater chance of getting a promotion and a desk of his own.

A polite cough alerted him to the fact that another customer had arrived.  He smiled, put his dreams to the back of his of mind and went back to work.

@Flip

Posted (edited)

With the contract and the property deed in hand, Speed stepped across the street, a broad smile on his face and an excited bounce in  his step. The easy part was done.  There were a few things he needed to get done, furnishings for the office either needed to be purchased or built, then there was the signage, both for the building and the front window announcing Wood and Guyer Mineral Company.

That thought gave him pause, from roaming the west buying up claims, to opening the first office outside of New York City. He exhaled deeply. This was new territory for him, exciting territory that could grow into a highly profitable business.

He opened the door and stepped inside 'his' building, his office, his home, and actually looked at the place with a new set of eyes. The back room  would be his office, the front would contain up to four desks, if that many were needed.

He smiled, he was suddenly a man with two offices. He had questions, so it was time to get some answers. The best place for that would be the mercantile.

TBC

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

It was beginning to shape up as a busy day. Making his rounds and dealing with his needs for the new office. The mercantile should be able to handle his furnishing needs for the main office as well as his. It was an exciting day for him, much like his getting the Marshals job, but this situation would garner more money than his monthly salary from the township of two hundred twenty-five dollars.

Abner and Mazie Carmichael had a fairly complete mercantile with just about everything a man  or business could want, though they may not have three desk sets. Much of what Speed would want, he knew he would find in the store.

As he entered the building the smells of new leather, as well as other fragrances fill his senses. He enjoyed stopping in whenever he had the chance for the sensation. As he entered Aber came out from behind the counter.

“Morning Marshal. How can we help you today? More ammunition?” He asked.

“No sir Abner, I’m in need of three desk sets, I’ll be opening a business next to the dress shop, and likely the accouterments that would go with it.’ He said proudly, “Why I haven’t fired this gun in weeks, and that was at a line of cans.”

“Oh I was just joshin’ ya Marshal. A business now, ain’t that exciting.”Abner said. “What sort of business?”

“Mining, well, buying and selling claims, purchasing mineral and timber rights, that sort of thing. Going to need some help though, can’t neglect my job as marshal. I don’t think folks would ake to kindly to that.”

“You’re probably right on that. We’ve been lucky here in Kalispell as far as trouble and trouble makers go. That can only last so long especially if the mining boom I’ve heard of to the south makes it’s way up here.” The mercantile owner explained, and the man had a point. “Whitefish now, she hasn’t had our kind of luck, what with the Steelgrave brothers and the hands from the Evergreen.”

TBC

“On that point, it would be hard to argue, and to be frank, I have my concerns about the security of the bank. What I’d like to find is a deputy that would be willing to act as the bank guard.” Speed said. He was aware that it was being done in the east with some success.

“Now that Pinkerton man who was here, he’d be perfect and it’s one of the things they do, but, haven’t seen hm in some time, so he’s likely out of the territory by now. And I couldn’t ask Hannah Cory, or even her pa to take that on. But whichever way I’d go, it would still have to make it past the Town Council, and who knows how that would go.

Abner smiled knowingly. Until there was a bank robbery it would be exceedingly difficult to add another salary to the town budget. “Well have those things delivered likely take a week. I’ll wire the company, speed things up for you.”

“Appreciate that Abner, I’m in no real hurry just yet, but those efforts will make it easier.” Speed said. “My best to your bride.” And with that he headed out the door. It was coming together.

TBC

Posted (edited)

Walking the street, end to end, up one side and down the other was more for relationships with the businessmen and women along the hard packed thoroughfare. He did not stop in at every business every day, but tried to stop in some every day. Of course, he would stop to talk with anyone along the way.

The night rounds were about the security of the town, ensuring doors were locked, or otherwise secured. Darkness has it's way of promoting unlawful activities, for those rounds he carried either a shotgun, or a Winchester, just in case. After all, there were businesses with merchandise worth stealing, a bank worth robbing, and all manner of assaults on the public security and tranquility of his community.

He'd not seen Addy for a spell, so he made that his next stop. Entering the barn he called out, "Hello Addy!"

Tag @Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)