• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Mr. Smith knew a stacked deck against him when it was presented to him. He wasn't surprised really, the men were sticking up for the pretty gal instead of justice. It was the way of things. But he would try and get at least something out of his misery.   "Oh alright, I won't press charges but only if she pays whatever the doc here is gonna charge me for this here treatment," he answered.   "Of course, Miss Mundee here, well, she’ll have to wait on Anderson to decide her immediate fate.” Speed said. “With those others awaiting trial, have to take her to the County Sheriff’s lock up. Just about looking at a full house, well except for the basement cells.” He smiled at her.   "Fine! Not like I got any say in this do I?  Just a kindly young miss defendin' some poor innocent dog from mistreatment. Yeah, incar....incar..ser..?" Caroline was stumped.   "Throw me behind bars and lemme rot then," she shrugged.   "Hey Doc, you seem like a nice man? Can you let the saloon know where I am, please? Maybe my boss can post bail or somethin'? She is gonna need her singer/dancer tonight," she now addressed Danforth.   She pointed to herself, "That be me! You should come and hear me sometime. I admit my dancin' ain't the greatest but everyone sez I can sing real fine."   ooc: Forgot about this when I came home from my trip! We should be close to finishing it soon anyhow.   @Flip   @Bongo    
    • The good reverend had the kindness to offer to write down justwhat  it was the couple were going to have to recite from memory and scribbled the words down as he said them too. Clara was grateful for that much. Her dripping sarcasm seemingly had failed miserably on Jacob so she was stuck learning this. Fortunately it did not seem too long or so bad. That is if her nerves didn't fail her. Well, she would just have to find out. Besides, even if she bungled the vows, it could be easily sorted, nothing was going to stop them from getting married!   Hearing that all present would have to agree to the marriage gave Clara a bit of a new worry. Unanimous? So it would take only one to ....to scuttle the whole thing? A new thing to be nervous about. Afterall there would be Granny Miggins present.......oh and Arabella too. So far Arabella had been most supportive about the young couple but it was afterall Arabella. Mercurial described the child to a tee.   Clara took her copy, "Thank you, Reverend."   Then Jacob began to recite the whole thing. Now? Both Redmonds turned their gaze to watch and listen to the little performance. Strange.   When he had finished, Clara could only comment, "You are a bit early. This is not the ceremony yet."   Since Aurelian could not help with the ring, he then turned to the minister, "What is the cost of the marriage ceremony, use of the church and such? I will pay for it. It is tradition the father of the bride pay for the expenses."            
    • "Oh, really? Congratulations, then, Mrs. Soon-to-be Pike!" Lucinda smiled warmly, but her smile was tinged with sadness, as were her thoughts. This woman had found someone she liked enough to marry again, but Lucinda doubted that she ever would. Out here, anyway. Back east was a different story.   "I would be glad of the company if you could spare a few minutes," she answered. Now the question was...what would they talk about? All Lucinda wanted to know was news from the east, but it wasn't likely Emeline would know any more than she did. And as far as news went, living by yourself for six months didn't give you a lot of news-worthy things to talk about.   "Could I also have some water? I don't know about you, but stagecoaches make my throat terribly dry."
    • "White... fish?" José repeated, a little incredulous at such a name. Not that Kalispell was much better, but at least it was a name, rather than a color of aquatic creature. "No, I wasn't headed there. Why?"   "Uh, jest that it ain't there no more, an' you'd be wastin' your time huntin' her up.  Wasn't all that much anyway. I mean there was people what lived there, they had stores and all, but it jest never felt right. You know, somethin' off about the place." Carson explained as well as he could.   "Nest for outlaws mostly, a man had ta be careful what he said, an' such-like. But now Kalispell? That there's a growing concern. Most folks 'er friendly, Marshal seems to be a fair man. Yeah, a good place. So, what sortta work you looking for?" It was easy conversation for a lengthy ride across the range, pushing through the cattle when they crowded up.   "You might wanna douse that there lamp. Moon an' stars shed plenty of light out here." What he was thinking was, that a moving light crossing the Evergreen might bring on problems neither of them wanted, or needed.  @boshmi    
    • "Clara, your response is the same, merely with the first line as; 'I, Clara Redmond, take you, Jacob Lutz, to be my husband,' of course."   Jacob smiled warmly at Clara, his heart filling with joy at the thought of it, and catching Aurelian’s eye a lesser, more respectful one.   He wrote out the vow once more on a separate sheet, though with said amendment.   "Just before the vows, you will both declare intent, and I will ask the greater family if they give their blessing, at which point, Mr. Redmond, you and others of the family present must reply unanimously with 'we do.'" he told Clara's father. "Once that is sorted, you may exchange rings, or items, and say a piece of your own, if you so desire. I will bless the items, then your marriage, and finally, you will be man and wife, given that we have signed the certificate, either before or during the ceremony."   Compared to many other undertakings in life, the whole thing seemed ludicrously simple: there seemed to be only one factor that could make it go wrong; the usual one; people.   The priest took the vows he’d written and moved down from the lectern to pass them to Jacob and Clara. “They aren’t too long, so it shouldn’t be all that difficult to memorize them.”   Jacob glanced down his script, and then folded the paper, and closing his eyes intoned in a sort of sing song voice he used for memorising poems and passages of prose he liked: "So… 'Inthe nameofGod,…. I JL, take you, CR, tobemywife, tohaveandto holdfromthisdayf’rw’rd, forbetterfor worse, forricherfor poorer, in sickness and in health” for some reason he said these words more distinctly, like they were less familiar or didn’t quite fit into his mnemonic process “…toloveandtocherish, untilwearepartedbydeath. Thisismysolemnvow.In the name of God… yeah, I think I got it." He opened his eyes to see everybody staring at him.   “What?” he asked, blinking.   @Wayfarer @boshmi
Stormwolfe

Plotting With Shade Thornton

Click for link to bio.Thirteen years ago (1862), at the age of seventeen, Shade Thornton killed Calvin Steelgrave in Missoula Mills, Montana. It was a clean shooting. Calvin was drawing on Shade's future sister-in-law, Regina Cantrell. Shade was never charged and cleared of wrongdoing in the matter. However, the combination of a longstanding feud between the Thorntons and Steelgraves plus a very stern and intolerant father who saw it as Shade bringing more trouble to the family ended with Shade being sent packing.

Although Shade has not committed any criminal acts since his stint with an outfit known as Cutler's Raiders (right after the war), he has gotten into a variety of trouble, usually because of trying to help or just being the new guy in a town with a reputation. The most recent major incident was being framed for murder while he was working in Wyoming. He got his name cleared. However, word did not get out to all cities and towns. Those wanted posters still show up when he least expects it.

Shade now finds himself in charge of his family's ranch, Lost Lake Ranch, and as a guardian to his orphaned five-year-old niece and nephew (fraternal twins). Right from the start, there was trouble. John Caleb Thornton's lawyer sued to make the Thornton twins wards of the state with him in charge of their inheritance. The man currently works for the Steelgraves and it was only due to having a fair judge and the brilliant legal expertise of Harriet Mercer that this ploy failed. However, since Shade's past was...well...shady and the twins' other uncle wasn't much better, the judge mandated certain things. One big thing is that the ranch and family businesses must continue making a profit. So far, they are doing good on that score, but things could change. Shade is determined that his niece and nephew are protected and that their legacy is kept safe for their future.

History

• Shade has met Katherine Bowen, Kalispell's new school teacher and he is falling hard and fast for her. This may well entangle him in other plots 😉 
  • It is likely the Steelgraves have not forgotten about Calvin. However, out murder is not an option. 
  • Cutler's Raiders: When the Texas Rangers arrested Shade, they were able to turn him. He led them to the Raiders' hideout. Randall Cutler, the eldest brother and gang leader was later tried and hanged. However, his two brothers and some of the gang members escaped.
  • Texas Rangers: Shade was never a Texas Ranger but he had an aptitude for getting inside outlaw gangs and picking up information. He became an undercover guy for them. This will likely bring even more trouble his way.
  • Shade spent the five years before returning to Montana working a ranch in Laramie, Wyoming. During those years, he got into quite a few scrapes and more than one gunfight. Some of this history can turn up in Kalispell too.

I am looking for some of Shade's past to turn up and bite him in the backside, making friends, frenemies, enemies, action and adventure.

Shade's cousin, Sarah Thornton-Carlton has just arrived, so there will be some interaction with her.  The plan is to have Sarah eventually marry Matt Wentworth which will bring the Wentworths and Thorntons closer together opening the door to more stories and intrigue.

Shade and the Lost Lake household will be coming into Kalispell on Friday for the Harvest Festival on Saturday. Shade will be spending much of Saturday with Kate as he continues their courtship. However, he will be free for other interactions as I'm sure he'll want to drop into the saloon while Kate gets ready for the big dance.

Well there will be the task of making sure Charlie doesn't indulge too much alcoholic beverages.  He's in the middle of learning to control himself where drinking is concerned and until he does there will lapses.

Also I think by this time, Shade might notice that both Mike and Sam are vying for the attentions of Hannah, so that might give him something else to do.

• Like 2

Hello all and, again, apologies for my long absence. I am back and slowly slipping back into posting!

I'm going to start with Shade....

Can y'all post short updates in this thread IF there is anything that Shade should know? Like, stuff that would be Thornton ranch specific or that would be general knowledge from around the region?  You can also leave me links to the threads if you think I need to read the entire thread rather than get a synopsis here.

Thanks! @Members @Moderators @Players @Sr. Moderator

• Like 1

Well we had a bank robbery attempt, Flips thread, which failed but cost the life of a citizen. The surviving robbers are now awaiting a trial first week of May and then a hanging. 

A far more controversial and should be dramatic trial is coming up too, Case Steelgrave v.s. the Marshal's office.

There was some drama too outside the jailhouse when a large bunch of Evergreen thugs...excuse me, hands rode up to break Case out but got scared off by the number of guns ready for them. So thus far the trial is still scheduled to happen.

Flip just made a post about who he might ask to help provide Security for the trial. I know he mentioned Quentin, and now that can include Shade?

• Like 1

So you have the gist of everything to do with Case and the robbery suspects. He is looking for help with trial security to which Shade would be more than welcome. He will be out asking around for help. The robbery suspects will undoubtedly hang, Case will be a different story.

Leah Steelgrave is in league with two doctors, Danforth and Boone (Whitefish survivor) to build the hospital and an orphanage and fully expects problems with the Town Council as it is suspected that they want the glory for getting the right of ways that were necessary. Leah did that over the winter.

Lots of background stuff I assumed was going on like Shade courting Kate and the ranch hands working on the ranch (spring roundup, branding, etc.) when they aren't in town.  Shade's cousin Sarah is living at the ranch and is helping educate the twins.  She goes into town once a week with the supply wagon and a couple of hands - they stay overnight.  No trouble with Evergreen but I think that's going to change now that Quentin hasn't gotten rid of some of the hands from that ranch.

In town - Charles Wentworth Sr. (head of the Wentworth clan) is now the owner of the bank, so Shade will probably have to deal with him.  Matt still runs the hotel.

Contrary to what Leah thinks, the town council is more concerned with the prospect of a Steelgrave running a large community project ;) They like the proposed project in theory but as with all things there is confusion and misunderstandings.

Is there anything else you want to know?

• Thanks 1

Unless he wants his photograph taken, his spittoon emptying, or his front steps scrubbing, he's unlikely to encounter any of my characters; they're pretty much secondary to the main plot, to be honest.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About Sagas

Sagas of the WIld West is a roleplaying game set in a fictionalized version of the town of Kalispell in Montana territory. Our stories begin in 1875 and are set against the backdrop of actual historical events.Sagas was inspired by the classic television and movie westerns. Our focus is on writing, storytelling and character development.

Connect With Us On

discord_white

If you would like to join the Sagas' Discord server or are already a member, click the image to open the Discord web application.

Site Credits

Founders: Stormwolfe & Longshot

Sagas' Rating

sagas-rating