• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "We'll have to get on over to the dinning room them. Afraid it's liable to be a bit more like Kalispell than Frisco." He said. "But it'll be good food, just not what we've been used too. Will be up on the hill, for sure.  I was told this is the best hotel because it was a ways out across the river from town, and it was solid built."   "The wealth on the hill is such that all most everything around it is growing at a fast pace. You'll really see that when we visit the Capitol, Carson City. Supposedly discovered by Kit Carson and General John Freemont on their way to Sacramento in. At least Freemont named the river after him back in '43 or '44. Nothin' was there then."   "All that made me hungry too, let's go eat an then take us a walk across the river, or along it, which ever you want." @Bongo
    • That did not take long. Cookie rang the triangle and shouted his best but in the end he sent the kid to roust all but the closest to him. Rance joined young Wheeler in the line, a bit out of the wind, but mostly in it for the moment. It seemed calmer up by the wagon.   "That had ta be bad back there. The wind drivin' the dust an' the smell, but should this wind let up you'll be on flank, left flank, then right, then back to the drag. It'll be me, Dallas, an' Dixie. eatin' dust tomorrow. But at least we got hot grub, won't always be that'a way out here though, every trip is different."   And they moved up steadily. @Bongo
    • "Nothing to discuss? I am surprised, Jonah. Why, if we have time for breakfast, there will be much to discuss regarding the hospital as well as the start of the orphanage. Hopefully that the railroad will be completed, or close to it by then." She smiled brightly. "Things will be different by then."   "My hope is that we get through all of this without my fathers interference causing delays, or real problems with the builders. You know we could get well into October before the snow flies, but I'm not counting on that. The winter will stop construction until the thaw." She stated, but the smile was still there, "But it will be well underway!" @Bongo
    • "Pleased ta meet ya, Rance."  Justus gave the man a nod, then lined up with the others for grub.  Maybe he could get some sleep despite the wind.  He surely was tired enough, and until there was something that concerned him, he didn't need to be concerned.   First, though, a full belly!  As the line progressed, he he nodded to the kid who was the cook's help.  "Times like this, I bet yer glad ya don't have ta be on th' downwind end of a herd'a cows!"   @Flip
    • "It's good to know you'll have the best working on the project, you've come this far, you don't need to risk the quality with less than the best working on it."  Even though he had no doubt that the crew would be excellent, it was reassuring to know that the man hand picked for the job would actually be on site overseeing it.  That way, too, he'd be there if Leah needed to discuss anything with him, and Jonah had a good feeling that was going to happen!   He grinned and took a sip of coffee.  "Just think, this time next year it will all be over!  We'll have a fine hospital with the best equipment...and nothing to discuss over breakfast!"   @Flip  

Plotting With Shade Thornton

Stormwolfe

Click for link to bio.Thirteen years ago (1862), at the age of seventeen, Shade Thornton killed Calvin Steelgrave in Missoula Mills, Montana. It was a clean shooting. Calvin was drawing on Shade's future sister-in-law, Regina Cantrell. Shade was never charged and cleared of wrongdoing in the matter. However, the combination of a longstanding feud between the Thorntons and Steelgraves plus a very stern and intolerant father who saw it as Shade bringing more trouble to the family ended with Shade being sent packing.

Although Shade has not committed any criminal acts since his stint with an outfit known as Cutler's Raiders (right after the war), he has gotten into a variety of trouble, usually because of trying to help or just being the new guy in a town with a reputation. The most recent major incident was being framed for murder while he was working in Wyoming. He got his name cleared. However, word did not get out to all cities and towns. Those wanted posters still show up when he least expects it.

Shade now finds himself in charge of his family's ranch, Lost Lake Ranch, and as a guardian to his orphaned five-year-old niece and nephew (fraternal twins). Right from the start, there was trouble. John Caleb Thornton's lawyer sued to make the Thornton twins wards of the state with him in charge of their inheritance. The man currently works for the Steelgraves and it was only due to having a fair judge and the brilliant legal expertise of Harriet Mercer that this ploy failed. However, since Shade's past was...well...shady and the twins' other uncle wasn't much better, the judge mandated certain things. One big thing is that the ranch and family businesses must continue making a profit. So far, they are doing good on that score, but things could change. Shade is determined that his niece and nephew are protected and that their legacy is kept safe for their future.

History

• Shade has met Katherine Bowen, Kalispell's new school teacher and he is falling hard and fast for her. This may well entangle him in other plots 😉 
  • It is likely the Steelgraves have not forgotten about Calvin. However, out murder is not an option. 
  • Cutler's Raiders: When the Texas Rangers arrested Shade, they were able to turn him. He led them to the Raiders' hideout. Randall Cutler, the eldest brother and gang leader was later tried and hanged. However, his two brothers and some of the gang members escaped.
  • Texas Rangers: Shade was never a Texas Ranger but he had an aptitude for getting inside outlaw gangs and picking up information. He became an undercover guy for them. This will likely bring even more trouble his way.
  • Shade spent the five years before returning to Montana working a ranch in Laramie, Wyoming. During those years, he got into quite a few scrapes and more than one gunfight. Some of this history can turn up in Kalispell too.

I am looking for some of Shade's past to turn up and bite him in the backside, making friends, frenemies, enemies, action and adventure.

Shade's cousin, Sarah Thornton-Carlton has just arrived, so there will be some interaction with her.  The plan is to have Sarah eventually marry Matt Wentworth which will bring the Wentworths and Thorntons closer together opening the door to more stories and intrigue.

• 1 month later...

Shade and the Lost Lake household will be coming into Kalispell on Friday for the Harvest Festival on Saturday. Shade will be spending much of Saturday with Kate as he continues their courtship. However, he will be free for other interactions as I'm sure he'll want to drop into the saloon while Kate gets ready for the big dance.

Well there will be the task of making sure Charlie doesn't indulge too much alcoholic beverages.  He's in the middle of learning to control himself where drinking is concerned and until he does there will lapses.

Also I think by this time, Shade might notice that both Mike and Sam are vying for the attentions of Hannah, so that might give him something else to do.

• 11 months later...

Hello all and, again, apologies for my long absence. I am back and slowly slipping back into posting!

I'm going to start with Shade....

Can y'all post short updates in this thread IF there is anything that Shade should know? Like, stuff that would be Thornton ranch specific or that would be general knowledge from around the region?  You can also leave me links to the threads if you think I need to read the entire thread rather than get a synopsis here.

Thanks! @Members @Moderators @Players @Sr. Moderator

Well we had a bank robbery attempt, Flips thread, which failed but cost the life of a citizen. The surviving robbers are now awaiting a trial first week of May and then a hanging. 

A far more controversial and should be dramatic trial is coming up too, Case Steelgrave v.s. the Marshal's office.

There was some drama too outside the jailhouse when a large bunch of Evergreen thugs...excuse me, hands rode up to break Case out but got scared off by the number of guns ready for them. So thus far the trial is still scheduled to happen.

So you have the gist of everything to do with Case and the robbery suspects. He is looking for help with trial security to which Shade would be more than welcome. He will be out asking around for help. The robbery suspects will undoubtedly hang, Case will be a different story.

Leah Steelgrave is in league with two doctors, Danforth and Boone (Whitefish survivor) to build the hospital and an orphanage and fully expects problems with the Town Council as it is suspected that they want the glory for getting the right of ways that were necessary. Leah did that over the winter.

Lots of background stuff I assumed was going on like Shade courting Kate and the ranch hands working on the ranch (spring roundup, branding, etc.) when they aren't in town.  Shade's cousin Sarah is living at the ranch and is helping educate the twins.  She goes into town once a week with the supply wagon and a couple of hands - they stay overnight.  No trouble with Evergreen but I think that's going to change now that Quentin hasn't gotten rid of some of the hands from that ranch.

In town - Charles Wentworth Sr. (head of the Wentworth clan) is now the owner of the bank, so Shade will probably have to deal with him.  Matt still runs the hotel.

Contrary to what Leah thinks, the town council is more concerned with the prospect of a Steelgrave running a large community project ;) They like the proposed project in theory but as with all things there is confusion and misunderstandings.

Is there anything else you want to know?

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I've really been down and out for a long time. I'm about back though. Just holding off making some character updates / changes until the site's updates get done.

Don't wanna be in the middle of changes and lose it all.

• 2 weeks later...

@Wayfarer

I know we've talked about Shade and Clara talking and catching up. Do we want to make that the opening thread? I guess she could glance out and see Shade and Warbow riding through town heading toward Lost Lake? Not sure how having Warbow go into the diner would go over though? 

Let me know what you think. Hope to do posts this evening or tomorrow at the latest. Lots depends on this headache.

Well, I did like the idea Shade would come in for a meal at the diner. He wouldn't even know that Clara worked there. It's harder if he and Warbow just ride past. I don't see Clara as the sort who would run out of the diner onto the street to call out Shade.

Clara has her issues with Indians but it's not like she would treat him badly or refuse to serve him or anything. For no other reason than she takes her job very seriously and you have to be nice to customers.

But your char, your call. 

Perfect! I'll have them arrive and stop at the diner before making the final long trek to the ranch house. Can have him having planned on stopping at the White Rose only to see the inn/cafe is gone and is being turned into the theater thing @JulieS mentioned.