Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

“Doc Boone, you point 'em out, we’ll try ‘em back in Kalispell.” Speed added. “You let me know what more I can do.”

“That sir, will be my pleasure, dregs that they are. They need to taste justice, by God!” Boone was angry, but he had a right to be. “We’re right close to bein’ ready to get these folks out of here The Studebaker wagon’s upright and has horse hitched to it. Folks from Kalispell are more than ready to get these folks to home and settled.”

“I believe the good Doctor Danforth and I have these folks ready to travel whenever the others are ready.” Boone stated.

Tag @Wayfarer

"All right, now, Martha."  Emeline already had the old lady sitting up, and had slipped her coat around her shoulders, knowing that she only had to wait a while longer before she could get a replacement for herself, and that Martha needed it more than she.

"All right, then...let's get you out of here, Martha, dear.  We'll need help from both you gentlemen."  Emeline smiled and nodded to Jay and Barnabas, then helped the old woman to her feet.

As she'd claimed, Martha was very wobbly and needed a great deal of support from both men, although she took it in good humor.  "Hold on tight, gents," she quipped with a wide grin, "get as close as you need to!"

At the exterior wall, Addy was peering in, waiting.  "Got things cleared out here," she commented, helping Emeline through the hole, then waiting for the men and Martha.

Once they were all clear they headed for the church, with Barnabas carrying Martha and Emeline walking beside them.

Behind them, Addy fell in step with Jay.   "Thanks fer helpin'," she said, hands shoved in her pockets, "made that easier, an' it looks like that lady needs ta get to th' doc."  For that matter, Jay was looking a little weary, too.  "We'll get some hot food an' coffee...this time tomorrow, we'll all be in Kalispell.  Nice place, I think you'll like it...th' buildings are all standin'!"  She laughed.

@Jack; @Flip

Behind them, Addy fell in step with Jay.   "Thanks fer helpin'," she said, hands shoved in her pockets, "made that easier, an' it looks like that lady needs ta get to th' doc."  For that matter, Jay was looking a little weary, too.  "We'll get some hot food an' coffee...this time tomorrow, we'll all be in Kalispell.  Nice place, I think you'll like it...th' buildings are all standin'!"  She laughed.

At the mention of food and coffee Pronto smiled, meaning Em’s “Lickskillet Diner” where he’d caught on as the resident pearl diver. Washing dishes, and pots and pans, which freed Em up for the cooking and table waiting. There was no place he’d rather be than at the diner. He laughed at Addy and her report of the buildings condition in Kalispell as they crossed the open ground.

Pronto carried Martha into the Church where he found a place to lay her down, but her husband too, who was overjoyed to see her safe and sound once again. “Looks to me like they’re loadin’ up our wagon, Em.” He said scanning the sky. “Be goin’ on afternoon afore we reach home.” It still amazed him that he was calling Kalispell home. That was Em’s doing, whether she knew it or not. "Goin' with us Jay? Room up top."

Tag @Jack@Bongo

Guest Jack

Addy was by his side again. Jay was happy to see a familiar face, especially hers.

Her laughter seemed contagious, so Jay offered a small smile. "Sounds really good. Hot food and coffee....that would be the best thing now."

His basic needs had to be satisfied before he could think further. So he walked alongside her. Pike seemed to feel the exact same way. In that moment, when Jay walked in between these good folks from Kalispell he suddenly felt like a normal person. Maybe this was something to wish for.

Pronto carried Martha into the Church where he found a place to lay her down, but her husband too, who was overjoyed to see her safe and sound once again. “Looks to me like they’re loadin’ up our wagon, Em.” He said scanning the sky. “Be goin’ on afternoon afore we reach home.” It still amazed him that he was calling Kalispell home. That was Em’s doing, whether she knew it or not. "Goin' with us Jay? Room up top."

"I'd love to." Jay agreed and with a bit of effort. After tying his horse to the back, he climbed up there. As he sat down he could feel the chill of the wind biting his face so he drew the scarf up to his ears just underneath the rim of his hat.

The cat was safely tugged away under his coat, too. Now that he had taken him from the barn, Jay had to take care of him. Otherwise he's dissapear in the snow, never to be seen again.

"You comin' too?" He asked Addy.

"I'm drivin'," Addy declared, climbing up onto the stage's seat beside Jay and gathering the ribbons.  "There's a buffalo hide under th' seat," she commented, "you can pull that out an' drape it over our legs."

Doctor Danforth was riding inside with several survivors, and the big freight wagon, driven by Pike with Emeline at his side led the long line of somber wagons, buggies and outriders headed back to Kalispell, leaving behind the ruined town.  Come Spring, some would probably return to salvage what they could, and to bury the dead properly, once the ground had thawed.

For now, a make-shift cross that someone had made from splinted lumber honored those who had lost their lives.