• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Jonah couldn't help but wonder what she had left unsaid, but he wasn't going to push her on it, and he couldn't help but chuckle at her convictions.  If anyone could get this done, it was Leah Steelegrave!    "The paper can be a good ally, that's certain."  Jonah sipped his coffee, then added, "perhaps just a small story to start, but reserve anything major in case there's a great deal of resistance?"  If they did a big story on the dealings too soon, then, if her father started pushing too hard, they could use the paper as a means of fighting back.   "I can send for Dr. Boone, if you'd like?  Weedy is around here someplace..."   @Flip      
    • "You're too kind." He shook his head with a smile and set out to do hos business out there although there was no need for a newspaper but for a lantern because the sun had set. Jay trudged through the snow. When he returned he found a corner and announced. "The warm water is for washing myself. I don't want to dirty your nice blankets. After he had explained, he took his jacket and shirt off but kept his undershirt on. He didn't feel it was appropriate with a girl and boy in the house to loose more clothes. Then he washed his face and arms with the soap and water and gor dressed again before he got comfortable on the blankets. His wound had healed well and he was feeling much better thanks to Addy. "Do you know the coach driver...Adelaide?" He asked her father. "She's given me a roof over my head...in her barn....since the fire. "
    • Jay had a nice buzz going but he wasn't drunk enough to notbnotice the change in her attitude. That joyful tone went out the window when she saw how much he'd drunk. "I'm going to pay for it. Don't worry." He tried to calm.hercdown when she suddenky called for help that appeared out of the blue in the form of an older threats ing sounding man. Instinctively Jay slowly raised his hands away from his gunbelt. "Sir...I meant no harm. We were dancing because your daughter told me she's the best dancer in the state and she had encouraged me with some pretty music. A walz is all I wanted. I swear. There's no need for any shooting. Take my gun. " He was adressing the gun owner behind him but his eyes were fixed ob the girl, hoping she'd correct her mistake.
    • With a bit of hesitation he climbed onto the back of her horse. The saddle was very tight for both of them but if he sat further back he'd hurt the horses back with his weight. Sitting this close to Addy and feeling her body (even covered in many layers of clothing was getting Jays imagination very active. He had to concentrate not to let it show. "Yeah. .sounds good." He replied to both questions because his mind was elsewhere. "Won't people in town wonder why we're sitting this close if they see us. One might come riding out here...I don't want to ruin your reputation."
    • "I've no doubt on that!"  Emeline laughed as she sat, a laugh of pure joy.  "I can just imagine the mischief we'll get into wedded!  We've caused enough trouble as it is." “Mischief? The two of us? How kin thet be, Em? Why we’re , we’re...caused enough trouble you say? Was I not with you when this happened an’ you think I wuz?” He chimed in.   Although they had met just a few months ago, they had actually spent a good deal of time together, not just leisure time chatting, but actually working together, planning together, and just recently dealing with the carnage in Whitefish.  She had no doubt they would do well in marriage, and she had none of the girlish illusions she'd had the first time.   "Of course," she quipped as she moved the cheese blintzes from their serving platter to smaller plates, "I saved the dishes for you!" “I’ll have you know, ma’am I am a profess’nl pearl diver, if I do say so ma’ sef!” He stated proudly.   Laughing, she set a plate in front of Barnabas.  "This is blackberry preserves, and strawberry jam," she indicated the small jars.  "More dishes to wash...Oh, and I should teach you how to make preserves!" “Ma al’ays made up the best perserves, cain’t hardly wait’ll I try yers. Cuz up ta now, you make the best ever’thin’ I ever et!” Which was true, well since he was grown. “Ya know I don’t mind doin’ tem dishes. Keeps me close to ya.”   Tag @Bongo

Posted (edited)

Red never said much but now that he did, his words made sense. Jay could never really read or place the guy and mostly threw him in one pot with Curly. It was a big surprise that he actually tried to mediate now.

Blood was seeping from the cut on his cheekbone and ran down his face into the bandana around his neck  but Jay would not break his hateful stare at the gang leader to wipe it away.

"Your secret rules are worth a damn if the boss doesn't smaren up."

He answered Red but kept glaring at his target.

"By killing innocent people he's putting a big fat reward on all of our mugs. He wants a name , a nice big headline...Thomas Love, the ruthless outlaw is in town....and he's getting it but at the cost of our freedom. They'll be after us for this."

He finally spelled it out why he was so angry.

Finally he adressed the man himself after spitting on the ground. "That job isn't going to happen unless you get smart. They'll have the cavalry waiting for us."

Edited by Jack (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

"Your secret rules are worth a damn if the boss doesn't smaren up."

He answered Red but kept glaring at his target.

Tom didn’t deign to answer this but sat down on the ground and started to take his boots off, they were full of water and would take a heap of drying out.

“They ain’t secret so much as most fellers just sorta pick em up without bein’ told.” explained Red gently. For someone who had just wantonly shot dead two Sheriff's deputies, he was a mine of sound advice and calm instruction. He would have made a good leader except for one very basic factor: he had absolutely no wish to be.

"Well, let’s just jaw on this peaceable like.” he continued, while Tom, now bootless, removed his soaking wet trousers. “Now, English, what exactly do you object to in the …” he was sure there was a better word for this but as a rather uneducated sort of a man, he had to do with what he had at hand “… the dooins of ol’ Tom there.”

"By killing innocent people he's putting a big fat reward on all of our mugs. He wants a name , a nice big headline...Thomas Love, the ruthless outlaw is in town....and he's getting it but at the cost of our freedom. They'll be after us for this."

He finally spelled it out why he was so angry.

“Thomas Gage Love” corrected the pantless leader as he looked around for some dry kindling to try and start a good fire to dry their things out while they divided the loot from the bank. He stood up from the stooping of his twig hunting. “It looks finer in print that way.” he smiled with a slightly distant look, imagining the headlines. He’d had two headlines in a local newspaper so far:

A month before Jay had joined the gang, the Helena Independent had shouted out: “Mail Coach Robbed! Two Killed! Thomas G. Louve named as Perpetrator!”

This was followed, a week later by “Notorious Road Agent and Murderer Thomas Gage Love writes Helena Independent: Corrects Spelling mistakes!”

Not too auspicious a start, admittedly, but he was pretty sure that this latest outrage would do the trick. Oh, but that whining limey was still complaining and a-fussing.

Finally he adressed the man himself after spitting on the ground. "That job isn't going to happen unless you get smart. They'll have the cavalry waiting for us."

Red was worried for a second, the idea of the gang fighting off a detachment of the U.S. Cavalry was just the sort of thing to appeal to the publicity mad outlaw’s fancy, but Tom sighed and threw down the little bundle of twigs he’d gathered. Standing in his long johns and stocking feet, he put his left hand on his heart and held up the two fingers of his right hand.

“Very well.” He rolled his eyes “I Thomas Gage Love, notorious highwayman, bank robber, mail coach robber, murderer and general violator of the Laws of the United States of America and especially of the Territories of Montana and Dakota, do solemnly swear, in the sight of God Almighty, who created us all, that I shall cease, desist and stop all killing of innocent folks, up until and including our proposed Kalispell bank job. This here, er…”

“Promise?” suggested Red.

“Oath!” improved Curly.

“This here oath to be reviewed, upon completion of said job.” He finished. This was quite a concession, seeing as he’d only really become an outlaw for the killing and the fame. He shrugged at Jay: “You happy now? Well, if so, can one of you dryer fellers find a Lucifer to git this fire lit?”

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Red did his best to negotiate, which showed the rest of the men a whole new side of him. Although he wasn't very good with words, he meant well, which was something that Jay could appreciate.  Stubborn and childish was how Tom acted in his long Johns and wet socks. He almost sounded like a pouting child to the Englishman, whose anger was fading at a very slow speed.

They had all seen the headlines in the papers and how incredibly full of himself Love was to even write a letter to the paper to have his name corrected. He was out for fame and fortune, everything else came second.

Jay on the other hand used the gang as a safety blanket but many times he had contemplated going back to becoming a normal citizen. Hopefully it wasn't too late yet. He definetly needed to settle far away so the chance of discovery was slimmer. Perhaps even back in England.

For now he had other issues.

As Love gathered his kindling, Jay climbed out of the loop of the rope and finally wiped at the blood on his cheek. It wasn't much but enough to pis* him off again. Had the fuc*er used a knuckle duster. What an unfair a*.

But then came something unexpected:

“Very well.” He rolled his eyes “I Thomas Gage Love, notorious highwayman, bank robber, mail coach robber, murderer and general violator of the Laws of the United States of America and especially of the Territories of Montana and Dakota, do solemnly swear, in the sight of God Almighty, who created us all, that I shall cease, desist and stop all killing of innocent folks, up until and including our proposed Kalispell bank job. This here, er…”

“Promise?” suggested Red.

“Oath!” improved Curly.

“This here oath to be reviewed, upon completion of said job.” He finished. This was quite a concession, seeing as he’d only really become an outlaw for the killing and the fame. He shrugged at Jay: “You happy now? Well, if so, can one of you dryer fellers find a Lucifer to git this fire lit?”

If this was the truth, Jay would be happy. But he had seen the gang leader give a lot of false promises and testimony.

"I believe it when I see it." He growled and took a few steps to wash his face by scooping some icy cold water up.

Red was relieved that the tension seemed to ease thanks to his great interference. So he nodded. "I will...after you shake hands!"

Jay shot him and angry glare. That was really too much. "You're pushing it, Red." He warned him. The guy could be glad that the outlaws hadn't settled their differences with their guns.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Red was relieved that the tension seemed to ease thanks to his great interference. So he nodded. "I will...after you shake hands!"

Jay shot him and angry glare. That was really too much. "You're pushing it, Red." He warned him. The guy could be glad that the outlaws hadn't settled their differences with their guns.

Tom smirked at Red’s proposal and at Jay’s short fuse igniting again. Boy, that feller’d gotten out of bed the wrong side this mornin’. “Oh that don’t matter” he called to Red as he made himself a little stand out of a branch to spread his clothes on beside the spluttering smokey fire that, with the help of a match from Curly, was starting to grow into life. “A gentleman’s word is his bond, eh English?”

When Tom was a little boy and had gone to school in his sailor outfit and straw hat, he had often noticed that two boys who fell to fighting each other, oft times became firm friends afterwards. This was just an observation, of course, not first-hand experience. Little Tom had started many fights in the playground, but actually taken part in none of them; he much preferred standing on the side-lines, snickering at two boys beating hell out each other, just because of a few vile words that he himself had poured into the ear of one or other of the combatants.

Well, that was maybe, but it didn’t look like Jay suddenly wanted to be bosom pals with him, so he trudged over and grabbed the loot bags and hefted them over to the now crackling camp fire.

“Come on boys, let’s see what we got.” Unlike most gangs, Tom didn’t take a bigger share than the rest, he wasn't in it for the money. On the other hand, if there was some trinket that he took a liking to, it was best not to lay a claim to it.

• Like 1

Jay took a moment on the river banks to calm down. The water on the side was frozen and he could see his own breath. It wasn't really the time to split from the safety of the gang. But right now he felt the need to put some distance between himself and their notorious leader. 

Jays face was red from the cold water and he only imagine how freezing Tom had to be, which gave him some satisfaction.

The fire was still too small to produce any heat when Jay stepped closer and checked out the stolen goods. 

He didn't choose any of the recignisable trinkets like watches but only a few coins and a plain ring without encryption.

Then he brushed the snow off his clothes and raised his chin.

"I'll see you in Whitefish!"

He looked each man in the eye but let his gaze linger on Thomas extra long.

"You gave us your word. I'll hold you to it, gentleman."

They all knew that none of them were actual gentlemen but some aspired to be.

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

He didn't choose any of the recognisable trinkets like watches but only a few coins and a plain ring without encryption.

Then he brushed the snow off his clothes and raised his chin.

"I'll see you in Whitefish!"

Curly just nodded, as a ‘trimmer’ he didn’t want to really offend anybody but, if he could have his druthers,  would rather be in favor of whoever was in charge at any one time.

“Yeah, be there English, we need you!” warned Red, but although it sounded like a surly command, his words were really a hidden compliment. He might have his faults as a gang member, but Ryker was a valuable commodity: he claimed  to know his way around the ‘unbreakable’ British made Chubb & Tann fireproof, thief-proof safe which, far from its manufacturing place of Wolverhampton, sat square and immovable in the deepest recesses of a bank in Kalispell.

He looked each man in the eye but let his gaze linger on Thomas extra long.

"You gave us your word. I'll hold you to it, gentleman."

Tom looked up as if he’d forgotten the whole fight. “Yeah, see you on the tenth, English.” He said blithely and carried on examining his share of the haul, not even glancing up as Jay packed up his booty and trotted on out of there.

Curly must have had some respect for the Englishman’s ire, especially after his unceremonious dumping, bald pate first, into the prickly bush, for he waited until Ryker was well out of sight before greedily eyeing some of the items in Love’s pile of treasure and pulling out a small, cheap looking silver locket from his own.

“Say Tom, how about swapping out that there gold watch fer this here locket?” he asked nonchalantly. Love pulled a face at the tawdry offering.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSr_V0aZIurXUxyk8SE7BC

“I got it off a that feller you plugged in the bank, he almost put up a fight about it” Curly dangled the bait and Love snapped at it like a turtle.

“Gimmi that!” he barked, throwing Curly the watch like it was so much trash.

Once in his dirt grimed hands, he opened the locket and, drinking in what he saw inside, smiled foully. Oh, how God did dearly love this most prodigal of sons!

“That’s right nice, Curl.” he chortled. “You know, our Englishman, he just taught me a pretty good lesson in morals and making up for past trespasses, and it looks like Mr. Hole-in-the-Head in the green suit left behind a pretty little wife and daughter. Now look boys…” he dangled the small locket by its chain.

“I reckon it’s my Christian duty to pay those two poor, bereaved ladies a visit, and try and make amends for the harm that I have caused them.”

5b66a41223014d0b0372689f7da06c95.png