Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Jonah couldn't help but wonder what she had left unsaid, but he wasn't going to push her on it, and he couldn't help but chuckle at her convictions.  If anyone could get this done, it was Leah Steelegrave!    "The paper can be a good ally, that's certain."  Jonah sipped his coffee, then added, "perhaps just a small story to start, but reserve anything major in case there's a great deal of resistance?"  If they did a big story on the dealings too soon, then, if her father started pushing too hard, they could use the paper as a means of fighting back.   "I can send for Dr. Boone, if you'd like?  Weedy is around here someplace..."   @Flip      
    • "You're too kind." He shook his head with a smile and set out to do hos business out there although there was no need for a newspaper but for a lantern because the sun had set. Jay trudged through the snow. When he returned he found a corner and announced. "The warm water is for washing myself. I don't want to dirty your nice blankets. After he had explained, he took his jacket and shirt off but kept his undershirt on. He didn't feel it was appropriate with a girl and boy in the house to loose more clothes. Then he washed his face and arms with the soap and water and gor dressed again before he got comfortable on the blankets. His wound had healed well and he was feeling much better thanks to Addy. "Do you know the coach driver...Adelaide?" He asked her father. "She's given me a roof over my head...in her barn....since the fire. "
    • Jay had a nice buzz going but he wasn't drunk enough to notbnotice the change in her attitude. That joyful tone went out the window when she saw how much he'd drunk. "I'm going to pay for it. Don't worry." He tried to calm.hercdown when she suddenky called for help that appeared out of the blue in the form of an older threats ing sounding man. Instinctively Jay slowly raised his hands away from his gunbelt. "Sir...I meant no harm. We were dancing because your daughter told me she's the best dancer in the state and she had encouraged me with some pretty music. A walz is all I wanted. I swear. There's no need for any shooting. Take my gun. " He was adressing the gun owner behind him but his eyes were fixed ob the girl, hoping she'd correct her mistake.
    • With a bit of hesitation he climbed onto the back of her horse. The saddle was very tight for both of them but if he sat further back he'd hurt the horses back with his weight. Sitting this close to Addy and feeling her body (even covered in many layers of clothing was getting Jays imagination very active. He had to concentrate not to let it show. "Yeah. .sounds good." He replied to both questions because his mind was elsewhere. "Won't people in town wonder why we're sitting this close if they see us. One might come riding out here...I don't want to ruin your reputation."
    • "I've no doubt on that!"  Emeline laughed as she sat, a laugh of pure joy.  "I can just imagine the mischief we'll get into wedded!  We've caused enough trouble as it is." “Mischief? The two of us? How kin thet be, Em? Why we’re , we’re...caused enough trouble you say? Was I not with you when this happened an’ you think I wuz?” He chimed in.   Although they had met just a few months ago, they had actually spent a good deal of time together, not just leisure time chatting, but actually working together, planning together, and just recently dealing with the carnage in Whitefish.  She had no doubt they would do well in marriage, and she had none of the girlish illusions she'd had the first time.   "Of course," she quipped as she moved the cheese blintzes from their serving platter to smaller plates, "I saved the dishes for you!" “I’ll have you know, ma’am I am a profess’nl pearl diver, if I do say so ma’ sef!” He stated proudly.   Laughing, she set a plate in front of Barnabas.  "This is blackberry preserves, and strawberry jam," she indicated the small jars.  "More dishes to wash...Oh, and I should teach you how to make preserves!" “Ma al’ays made up the best perserves, cain’t hardly wait’ll I try yers. Cuz up ta now, you make the best ever’thin’ I ever et!” Which was true, well since he was grown. “Ya know I don’t mind doin’ tem dishes. Keeps me close to ya.”   Tag @Bongo

Mature Content: No.

With: Aurelian Redmond and Emeline Blakesley
When: Fall
Time of Day: Early afternoon

content-divider.png

Aurelian had come into town for a few reasons. He wanted to pick up some foodstuffs at the General Store but also had decided to drop in on the local cafe or diner. Now that his daughter, Clara, was employed there, he felt his duty as a father was to at the very least check the place out . Everything Clara had told him about the place and it's female owner/operator pointed to the site being a fine place for his oldest child to be gainfully employed there.

The small bell tinkled a signal the diner had a customer as he opened the front door and stepped into the place. Looking about he saw a few customers eating and/or chatting away. The diner was well arranged and looked clean too. Yes, everything seemed quite encouraging. Oh and then there was the enticing smells of freshly baked bread and other savory dishes. It was enough to make one hungry which sort of was the point of it all anyhow.

Removing his hat he then paused to wait and see if - or rather when - someone greeted him. That would no doubt be Mrs. Blakesley as Clara had informed him she was the diner's lone employee at least currently.

It didn't take long at all.

With the busy lunch time over, Emeline was able to start on the cleaning so she could get started on dinner.  The current customers were already seen to at the moment and she was just getting ready to refill their coffee when the bell on the door announced an arrival.

"Good afternoon," she called with a smile, "just have a seat and I'll be there in a moment!"

After checking on the occupied tables, she headed over to the newcomer.  "Good afternoon, sir, how can I help you?"

@Wayfarer

"Very well, ma'am," Aurelian nodded then picked out an empty table,  an easy enough choice. It wasn't a long wait at all and , once the woman had made the rounds to her remaining customers, she arrived back in front of his table.

"And a good afternoon to you too," he smiled, "Well, to start with I would like a coffee please. Just black. And then I'd also like to make a quick introduction if I am not being too forward."

"I am Aurelian Redmond, I own a farm outside of town and I'm also the father of Clara."

"Oh, Mr. Redmond, it's good to meet you!"  Emeline smiled brightly.  "Clara said you'd likely come by.  She's a wonderful young woman, you should be proud." 

Now that she knew who he was, she actually could see a resemblance, especially around the eyes.  "Would you like some pie or something?  I can get that, then I should have a couple minutes if you'd like to sit and talk?"

@Wayfarer

Posted (edited)

"Ahhh, good to hear," that brought a smile to Aurelian who continued, "It is an honor to meet you too, ma'am. Clara has spoken so highly of you."

"Would you like some pie or something?  I can get that, then I should have a couple minutes if you'd like to sit and talk?"

"I could be talked into a slice of pie. The fruit pies Clara had brought home were delicious. While they lasted which wasn't long," he replied.

"And yes, I would like to sit and talk if I am not taking you away from your duties, thanks. But take your time, I don't mind sitting here and relaxing," he assured the woman.

@Bongo

Edited by Wayfarer (see edit history)

"I don't imagine you have a lot of time for relaxing," Emeline commented with a smile, "from what Clara says, you work pretty hard."  Of course, running a farm was difficult, long hours and heavy work, and with caring for children on top of that...

"Just a moment."  It only took a couple minutes for her to return with a tray that had two mugs of steaming coffee, along with two slices of warm peach pie and a small pitcher of cream.

"Would you like some cream?" she asked as she set things out, then poured a bit of the cream over her pie.  "In the coffee, on the pie..?"  It was a personal preference, and she was fine with whatever he chose.

@Wayfarer

Posted (edited)

"Well, farming is indeed a good deal of work but I've never been afraid of hard work. And Clara is a big help too, I don't know what I'd do without her. My son, Wyatt, tries but he's young. He'll grow into it," Aurelian answered.

The woman returned with coffee and peach pie plus cream should he desire. Being the gentleman he was, he rose from his chair until she too was seated.

"No, quite alright, I like my coffee black. I think I shall just enjoy the peach pie without it too, but thank you," he smiled then accepted the offered cup.

"Anyhow, I don't wish to keep you too long so I will get right to it then. I am here for a few reasons. To check out with my own eyes where Clara is now spending her time.  Call it protective or nosey, I won't argue with either. And may I say, you have a very nice looking establishment here," he paused then just to take a sip of the coffee, it was still a bit too hot so he'd wait on it some and keep talking.

"Secondly, I want to thank you for employing Clara. You've no doubt noticed but you've got yourself a good worker, she never gives anything she does less than her best effort. Takes after her mother I reckon, " he smiled.

"Proud as I am about her,  I do have to concede she can be a bit.....forward or opinionated at times. Some might even say a 'know it all'? Now that's just her way, but that doesn't mean you have to take it. If ever she goes too far, do not hesitate to put her in her place. Clara is only fifteen but she believes herself to be an adult in every way. It falls upon me to sometimes remind her she is not. "

"But I will say this, Clara likes you .... a lot. And ...well, lemme just say there aren't a lot of folks she feels that way about," he chuckled then tried the coffee again.

Edited by Wayfarer (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

"Anyhow, I don't wish to keep you too long so I will get right to it then. I am here for a few reasons. To check out with my own eyes where Clara is now spending her time.  Call it protective or nosey, I won't argue with either. And may I say, you have a very nice looking establishment here,"

"Of course, I'd do the same thing."  Emeline admired that he was concerned enough about his daughter to know where she was spending some of her time.  There were plenty of parents who just wouldn't care.

"Secondly, I want to thank you for employing Clara. You've no doubt noticed but you've got yourself a good worker, she never gives anything she does less than her best effort. Takes after her mother I reckon, " he smiled.

"She isvery earnest," she observed, a compliment, for the girl was indeed very responsible in her work...almost too much so.

"Proud as I am about her,  I do have to concede she can be a bit.....forward or opinionated at times. Some might even say a 'know it all'? Now that's just her way, but that doesn't mean you have to take it. If ever she goes too far, do not hesitate to put her in her place. Clara is only fifteen but she believes herself to be an adult in every way. It falls upon me to sometimes remind her she is not. "

"I'll keep that in mind."  Although it was almost difficult not to.  Clara was almost too serious in her opinion, and she had the impression her father thought the same.  But then, what she had heard of her life so far, she had good cause to be serious and somber.

"But I will say this, Clara likes you .... a lot. And ...well, lemme just say there aren't a lot of folks she feels that way about," he chuckled then tried the coffee again.

"Well, I do enjoy her company, and I believe you are right, which makes her friendship all the better."  Emeline smiled.  "It's nice to have another woman around, and someone who can speak a coherent thought.  We also share some common interests, such as the books."  He assuredly knew about those.  "If there is something you'd like to borrow, I'd be happy..."

@Wayfarer

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

"Very earnest, yes, that fits her," Aurelian nodded.

He had decided to let her know too that his daughter really liked the woman and wanted her to know Clara's list of people she actually liked was ...well, on the short side. So obviously Emeline had made quite the impression.

"Well, I do enjoy her company, and I believe you are right, which makes her friendship all the better."  Emeline smiled.  "It's nice to have another woman around, and someone who can speak a coherent thought.  We also share some common interests, such as the books."

"It is good too you treat her as a woman and not a child, she does not like it when anyone takes her for a child. She always was in such a hurry to grow up," he grinned.

"And yes - your books, she has already finished one and she has taken to reading by lamplight lately. It would be wonderful for Kalispell to have a library but as the town grows I am confident some day that'll happen."

@Bongo

• Like 1

"I'm sure there are plenty of people who will appreciate a library."  Emeline knew that she'd like some fresh reading material, and the time to read it!  "You know, I could start a book exchange here, maybe I'll put up a notice and see if anyone else is willing to contribute books."  Just one more thing to do, but then she grinned.  "I can ask Clara to be in charge of that."  She was certain the girl would enjoy it, and would have a great system to keep track of the books.

She took a bite of the pie and a sip of coffee before adding, "But unfortunately, I don't always behave grown, but I'll be careful of any antics I drag her into.  And Wyatt is welcome to come by, I'd be more than willing to put him to work sweeping the floors in exchange for pies or cookies." 

Sure, the lad was a young, but she didn't think he'd really be any trouble, and he might enjoy a change now and then.  "Weedy comes by almost every day, he really likes apple pie!"

@Wayfarer

They certainly agreed that the town would no doubt approve of a library when that day finally came. It would be another sign of progress, successful towns needed such things. Emeline suddenly wondered about starting up a book exchange, an interesting concept. Then put forth none other than Clara to manage it. He had to chuckle.

"Well, knowing Clara she will say yes because that's the way she is. Always being helpful but I'm not sure. Depends on how much work and time it will take? Afterall, she works hard everyday at home and now has this job here in town. I do not know how much I would be comfortable seeing on her plate. No offense though, ma'am," he decided to be honest with her about his thoughts on the matter.

"As for Wyatt, I tend to keep him at home except for schooling of course. Clara has to take my horse into town to get here to work. But so far I have not allowed Wyatt to ride it alone. Something he is not happy about as you might imagine.  But thank you for the kind offer," he smiled.

"Weedy comes by almost every day, he really likes apple pie!"

"How could he not," Aurelian chuckled, "I'm sorry but I don't know who this Weedy fellow is?"

"Weedy's a lad who...well, he has a mother, but she apparently is a drunkard, neglects him quite often, they live in a small shack somewhere on the edge of town."  She shrugged.  "I don't know about his father.  At any rate, Addy Chappel, the stage driver, looks after him, makes sure he has clean clothes, food, and goes to school."

Many of the people in town knew about Weedy and helped him.  "He comes by here now and again for food, and I don't mind feeding him at all, but he insists on doing some sort of chores."  She laughed.  "He's good at sweeping and better at licking bowls!   There are several people in town who help keep an eye on him, make sure he's all right."

@Wayfarer

"Poor lad, it is very Christian of you and those others to help care for the boy though," Aurelian commented, "the benefits of a small town perhaps. In Philadelphia there were too many street urchins forced to make due on their own. There were a few orphanages but they were overwhelmed and the less said about some of their practices and methods the better."

"I will ask Wyatt about Weedy, the boys might know each other. That is if Weedy goes to school? Wyatt does. Clara refuses though saying she is past whatever could be taught in a one room schoolhouse and to be honest, I think she is right. Besides, getting Clara to do something she doesn't want to - well, I would as soon engage in a tug of war with a full size bull," he chuckled.

Emeline laughed.  "I've no doubt she is a handful, but you seem to be doing well with her, and she is very smart, no doubt her love of reading will help her enhance her education."  Even fiction had bits of history, or at very least accounts of how life used to be.

"And yes, Addy insists that Weedy go to school.  She wants him to have the education she didn't."  Emeline grinned.  "That woman might be a bit crude, but she's surprisingly astute.  So yes, it's a good chance that Wyatt knows Weedy.  I'm very glad that the boy is looked after.  I've heard rumors of a children's home here, nothing specific, but a good thing, although I hate to think that there is a need." 

If she could, she would take in every stray that she became aware of, but of course that wasn't possible.

@Wayfarer

"Thanks, ma'am, and I don't want to exaggerate really. Clara is a wonderful daughter and I am very proud of her. "

Emeline shared a bit more information about the boy, Weedy, and Aurelian was impressed how some in the town had rallied for such a fine cause to - in effect - help raise that young one burdened with a grim home life.

"I will talk to Wyatt about Weedy and maybe give him a gentle nudge into befriending the other boy. Do them both a world of good, I'm guessing," he added.

"Well, I have kept you long enough, ma'am. I shall be taking my leave," he smiled as he then stood up.

"I've confirmed by my visit what I already expected, Clara is in good hands here. And - to be honest and I don't want to burden you with any expectations - but I do believe you are a sort of mother figure for her.  So thank you for that. "

"I'll do the best I can to be a friend to her."  Emeline smiled and stood as well.  "I don't have any experience as a mother, or even a sister, for that matter, but I do enjoy her company, and I think we will benefit each other.  And as I said, I really don't mind Wyatt coming by, although I think his sister might not agree!" 

It was nice to have the energy that children brought, and a glass of milk and a cookie now and then wouldn't break her.

"It was very nice to meet you, sir.  Do come back some time and see what Clara and I are up to!"

@Wayfarer