Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Jonah couldn't help but wonder what she had left unsaid, but he wasn't going to push her on it, and he couldn't help but chuckle at her convictions.  If anyone could get this done, it was Leah Steelegrave!    "The paper can be a good ally, that's certain."  Jonah sipped his coffee, then added, "perhaps just a small story to start, but reserve anything major in case there's a great deal of resistance?"  If they did a big story on the dealings too soon, then, if her father started pushing too hard, they could use the paper as a means of fighting back.   "I can send for Dr. Boone, if you'd like?  Weedy is around here someplace..."   @Flip      
    • "You're too kind." He shook his head with a smile and set out to do hos business out there although there was no need for a newspaper but for a lantern because the sun had set. Jay trudged through the snow. When he returned he found a corner and announced. "The warm water is for washing myself. I don't want to dirty your nice blankets. After he had explained, he took his jacket and shirt off but kept his undershirt on. He didn't feel it was appropriate with a girl and boy in the house to loose more clothes. Then he washed his face and arms with the soap and water and gor dressed again before he got comfortable on the blankets. His wound had healed well and he was feeling much better thanks to Addy. "Do you know the coach driver...Adelaide?" He asked her father. "She's given me a roof over my head...in her barn....since the fire. "
    • Jay had a nice buzz going but he wasn't drunk enough to notbnotice the change in her attitude. That joyful tone went out the window when she saw how much he'd drunk. "I'm going to pay for it. Don't worry." He tried to calm.hercdown when she suddenky called for help that appeared out of the blue in the form of an older threats ing sounding man. Instinctively Jay slowly raised his hands away from his gunbelt. "Sir...I meant no harm. We were dancing because your daughter told me she's the best dancer in the state and she had encouraged me with some pretty music. A walz is all I wanted. I swear. There's no need for any shooting. Take my gun. " He was adressing the gun owner behind him but his eyes were fixed ob the girl, hoping she'd correct her mistake.
    • With a bit of hesitation he climbed onto the back of her horse. The saddle was very tight for both of them but if he sat further back he'd hurt the horses back with his weight. Sitting this close to Addy and feeling her body (even covered in many layers of clothing was getting Jays imagination very active. He had to concentrate not to let it show. "Yeah. .sounds good." He replied to both questions because his mind was elsewhere. "Won't people in town wonder why we're sitting this close if they see us. One might come riding out here...I don't want to ruin your reputation."
    • "I've no doubt on that!"  Emeline laughed as she sat, a laugh of pure joy.  "I can just imagine the mischief we'll get into wedded!  We've caused enough trouble as it is." “Mischief? The two of us? How kin thet be, Em? Why we’re , we’re...caused enough trouble you say? Was I not with you when this happened an’ you think I wuz?” He chimed in.   Although they had met just a few months ago, they had actually spent a good deal of time together, not just leisure time chatting, but actually working together, planning together, and just recently dealing with the carnage in Whitefish.  She had no doubt they would do well in marriage, and she had none of the girlish illusions she'd had the first time.   "Of course," she quipped as she moved the cheese blintzes from their serving platter to smaller plates, "I saved the dishes for you!" “I’ll have you know, ma’am I am a profess’nl pearl diver, if I do say so ma’ sef!” He stated proudly.   Laughing, she set a plate in front of Barnabas.  "This is blackberry preserves, and strawberry jam," she indicated the small jars.  "More dishes to wash...Oh, and I should teach you how to make preserves!" “Ma al’ays made up the best perserves, cain’t hardly wait’ll I try yers. Cuz up ta now, you make the best ever’thin’ I ever et!” Which was true, well since he was grown. “Ya know I don’t mind doin’ tem dishes. Keeps me close to ya.”   Tag @Bongo

Mature Content: No

With: Emeline/Barnabas
When: Dec/25 / 1875
Time of Day: Morning

content-divider.png

After only a few hours of sleep, Emeline was up and working in the kitchen.  While she could use more sleep, she wanted to get as much done as she could before Barnabas arrived so she wouldn't have to spend all day in the kitchen.  Most of the food she'd planned was prepared, with just a few finishing touches remaining that could be taken care of on the small stove in her rooms above the cafe. 

Her apartment was decorated with boughs and garlands, and there was a small pine tree on a table that was festooned with strung cranberries, popcorn and holly leaves, and a few genuine German glass ornaments.  She was festooned as well...at least dressed in a new gown she had bought and altered just for the day, with her hair pulled up and back in soft ringlets.  She wanted everything to be as perfect as she could get it without being so formal as to be uncomfortable.

As she put the finishing touches on breakfast, she would occasionally peer out the window, telling herself that she was looking at the pristine snow-blanketed landscape, and not watching for her guest!

@FlipFbIanY.jpg

Barnabas was up at the break of day, which was usual for him. He stood before the frost edged glass of the window in his room at the boarding house, staring out on the blanketed main street of Kalispell Montana. Not a soul in sight, no marks in the pure white covering, a heavy leaden sky overhead promising more snow as the dawn brought light and little else to the scene before him.

One often thought of Christmas being bright and beautiful, the sun overhead, nary a cloud in the sky, but, this morning proved otherwise and most common for that part of the country. It was time then, to prepare himself for the day ahead, not that it was to be a difficult day by any means, just that he wished to make it as perfect as he could.

From his trunk in the shed out back, which had arrived from Nevada months ago, he retrieved his suit of clothes that he had worn on the Comstock, brushed them out in preparation for this morning. Blackened boots, a low crown top hat, clean white shirt and ribbon tie, He would look quite the gentleman when he arrived at the diner.

He dressed quickly, a rush of excitement filled him as he slipped into the frock coat. Taking up a sheaf of folded papers and securing them in his inside pocket. He was ready. It was getting on eight o’clock and time to fishing dressing with the Buffalo coat and gloves.

The walk to the diner took only minutes, and when he reached her door he rapped on it and waited.

Tag @Bongo

It was a little odd, having to come through the cafe to essentially open her front door, but that was just a fact of operating a cafe, and Emeline felt even more odd being in the fancy dress.  It had been a long time since she'd had occasion to dress this finely, and the bustle, certainly, was a reminder that she was all fancied up...well, except for her shoes...after all, she wasn't going out, so she had her slippers on under her skirt.

As she opened the door, she broke into a wide grin, even though she knew who was going to be there.  But just seeing him made the burst of cold that accompanied him seem almost warm.

"Merry Christmas!  Come in, please."  Standing back, she let him in.  "I have things set up in my rooms for today."  Most of the time they just used the cafe's kitchen, although he had been up there a couple times, briefly, especially after the older couple from Whitefish had been brought here.  Now, they were in the hotel, recovered and in their own room.  But this was Christmas, a special occasion that required home.  "You can leave your coat down here."

Why did she feel so awkward?  Maybe because this was more than just a casual day at work?  Well, she'd set that aside, they were friends, and awkward just wasn't necessary.

“Merry Christmas.” He all but stammered as he stood staring at the sight before him awkwardly. She was beautiful, even more so that he knew her to be.. He broke his stare,  hanging his coat and hat in pegs in the wall for that purpose. “You are a vision, Em, I declare. A vision. Ain’t been no shovlin’ an’ the snow’s some deep. Not sure as there’ll be church ta’day without here bein’ an army of folks shovlin’ the way. Ruin thet dress, was you ta go out.”

The words came almost too fast, but it was true. In spots it was almost to his knees, his tall boots saved his trousers from saturation, requiring his stamping them on the threshold before he entered, and rendering his feet and calves cold. “Dangest weather, no break, clouds look dark n’ heavy. Reckon we’ll get more afore the day’s out.” Yet after saying all of that, there was no way that he would have failed to appear at her door this day. No way at all.

Tag @Bongo

“You are a vision, Em, I declare. A vision. Ain’t been no shovlin’ an’ the snow’s some deep. Not sure as there’ll be church ta’day without here bein’ an army of folks shovlin’ the way. Ruin thet dress, was you ta go out.”

A blush touched Emeline's cheeks at the compliment.  "We can look down the street and see if anyone is going to church," she commented, although he was right, it was snowing pretty well still, and there were no signs that the streets were being cleared.  "Fancy dresses are nice," she observed, "but not terribly practical."

The words came almost too fast, but it was true. In spots it was almost to his knees, his tall boots saved his trousers from saturation, requiring his stamping them on the threshold before he entered, and rendering his feet and calves cold. “Dangest weather, no break, clouds look dark n’ heavy. Reckon we’ll get more afore the day’s out.”

"It just adds to the day."  Emeline glanced out the windows as she led the way through the cafe and kitchen to the stairs that led up to her apartment.  One good thing about living above a kitchen was that the heat from the stove left it nice and cozy during the winter.

"Please, come in and have a seat.  Coffee?"  The small table was already set with real china, plain, but more formal than what was used downstairs, There was a platter with blintzes sprinkled with powdered sugar, and small containers of cream, strawberry and blackberry preserves.

@Flip

“Thank ye’, coffee’d be jest fine..” He was beginning to get nervous, and he was unsure how to handle that. Not in this particular situation. It was Em, not no Indians or bandidos. He looked up suddenly, “Em, some things I need ta say an’ if I don’t git to it I might not be able to spit ‘em all out like I’d like.”

He smiled, nervously. “Some things I want ya to know about me first. Well, that jest sounded down right terrible. Shucks.” It was about to get worse, “Look, what you know about me, wall, alla thet’s true, ‘cept I left out some from my time in Nevada.”

He took a sip of the coffee and cleared his throat. There was no need to even talk about Julia Dey, that was in the past, so he plunged right into it. “Folks about wonder about me, and how I get along as I do. I was part owner with a one third share in the Yellow Jacket mine up there. Now, now, hang on. Afore you git all flustered, Captain T.G. Taylor, the mine superintendent, he up and left, takin’ my shares and investin' in the United Comstock, consolidated ownership of the entire Gold Hill section of the Comstock Lode. He called it deversyfyin’. I call it shrewd. Trouble is, this Texas child’s sittin’ real good, ‘cept the most important thing.”

Tag @Bongo

“Thank ye’, coffee’d be jest fine..”

Emeline poured them both steaming mugs of coffee then settled at the table across from him, smiling, noting how handsome he was all gussied up.

“Em, some things I need ta say an’ if I don’t git to it I might not be able to spit ‘em all out like I’d like.”

"All right..."  While she hadn't planned on anything serious today, she certainly wasn't going to refuse him whatever he wanted, although his earnest tone concerned her, because, honestly, she was getting to like him...a lot.

He smiled, nervously. “Some things I want ya to know about me first. Well, that jest sounded down right terrible. Shucks.”

Laughing lightly, she shrugged.  "I don't suppose it's so bad."  Although, truth be told, she really didn't know a lot about him, it seemed that she had done most of the talking, but that was fine with her.

It was about to get worse, “Look, what you know about me, wall, alla thet’s true, ‘cept I left out some from my time in Nevada.”

"All right..."  The coffee was left untouched now, and her heart was starting to race a little.  How bad could it be?

“Folks about wonder about me, and how I get along as I do. I was part owner with a one third share in the Yellow Jacket mine up there. Now, now, hang on. Afore you git all flustered, Captain T.G. Taylor, the mine superintendent, he up and left, takin’ my shares and investin' in the United Comstock, consolidated ownership of the entire Gold Hill section of the Comstock Lode. He called it deversyfyin’. I call it shrewd. Trouble is, this Texas child’s sittin’ real good, ‘cept the most important thing.”

"So..."  Well, she had been expecting a confession to murder, or bank robbery or...not that.  "You made money in a mining operation and then your partner stole your shares?"  That didn't explain how he could be 'sitting good', whatever that meant, nor what might be most important.  "Do you know where he is now?  Can you recover your shares?"

@Flip

That didn't explain how he could be 'sitting good', whatever that meant, nor what might be most important.  "Do you know where he is now?  Can you recover your shares?"

He all but laughed at her statement. “A’feared I didn’t git thet out right. Cap didn’t take my shares fer hisself, he reinvested them fer me in the United Comstock venture. Whot thet means is, my one third share in one mine has become a piece of an empire, not hardly a third, but an eighth share in several mines and a mill.” He stopped. “Thet’s all bidness most a which I don’t understand but the Captain does.”

He took a deep breath, reached inside his coat and withdrew an envelope. “You an’ me we had this conversation some months back up to the falls, all about a ranch.” He opened the envelope and produced the paper inside. “This here’s the deed to fifteen hundred acres, which includes the falls, thet surrounds that hill whar the house’ll set. Problem is,” he handed the deed to her, “ might oughtta change yer last name on it.”  He simply smiled. “That is, if you’ll have me.”

Tag @Bongo

Barnabas explained, making it clear that he had holdings in mines in Nevada, and that those were profitable, and Emeline felt a little foolish not understanding that the first time, but shares and holdings and whatnot were not concepts she was familiar with. 

But then he was continuing on, taking out a paper and handing it to her -- a deed?  And to that same land that had so captivated her...

"You bought that land for me?"  No, it was too much.  Certainly, she appreciated the gesture, but the horse was quite enough...a gift of land was just more than was proper...

"Change my name..?"

No, no, no, she was misreading what he just said!  She had to be, otherwise, that meant he was proposing?

Hardly able to breathe, she looked into his face and there was no doubting the truth of it.  At once, a dozen things flooded her mind.  What about the cafe, did she really want to live outside town, what, exactly, were the plans, was she ready for this, could she be the companion he wanted...

A split second later she smiled and nodded.  "All right, then, but it's Christmas...but the next opportunity, I can see to that.  You'll be there, of course?"  Then she started to laugh!

@Flip

“Oh, I’ll be there. I reckon I ain’t been makin’ ma self real clear here.” He took another drink of coffee., cleared his throat and then said, “I been mullin’ over what I might say, what I want to say, but ya know, it just ain’t come the way I wanted.  That there deed is about the plans we made back there. Things you said you wanted to do, aside from this here diner.”

“The horse was for Christmas, the land, well, that’d be for the future. I think you an’ me, well, we sortta fit. Yer worried some thet I’m proposin’, an’ you’d be right about thet. I am. I’m askin’ you here an’ now to marry me. But, I ain’t askin’ you to give up this here diner, not at all. I am askin’ come spring we get that ranch started, thet you get the horses you were talkin’ about raisin’.”

“Fer a galoot whot’s havin’ trouble sayin’ what he means, I figger I’ve made my intentions purdy clear.” He paused for another drink of coffee, as if to bolster himself. “Em, I jest want ya to be happy, an' I’d like thet to be with me.”

Tag @Bongo

Reaching across the table, Emeline took his hand and gave it a squeeze.  "You were perfectly clear, Barnabas, it's I who wasn't clear."  She smiled.  "I would gladly take your name and get the ranch started.  And what better man to start a family with than a galoot?"

Her heart was soaring, she couldn't recall having been happier in a very long time, even though it was a quiet sort of joy.  And now that he'd proposed, she realized/admitted that such a thing had been at the back of her mind for some time now.

"We can work things out later, now is time to celebrate."  Her smile widened and she laughed.  "I do love you, Barnabas Pike!"

@Flip

Reaching across the table, Emeline took his hand and gave it a squeeze.  "You were perfectly clear, Barnabas, it's I who wasn't clear."  She smiled.  "I would gladly take your name and get the ranch started.  And what better man to start a family with than a galoot?"

He grinned almost sheepishly. “A man cain’t never be too sure ‘bout such things. But thet there’s ma Christmas! I 'spose I’m about the luckiest man in Kalispell this mornin’.”

Her heart was soaring, she couldn't recall having been happier in a very long time, even though it was a quiet sort of joy.  And now that he'd proposed, she realized/admitted that such a thing had been at the back of her mind for some time now.

"We can work things out later, now is time to celebrate."  Her smile widened and she laughed.  "I do love you, Barnabas Pike!"

“Shore is, in spite of all’a this snow an’ cold.” He crowed, then suddenly sobered, she had actually said it! “I guess I loved you from the first time I saw you.” He admitted. “Celebratin’s what we’ll do every day from now on. I promise.”

Tag @Bongo

Emeline's cheeks turned bright red when he declared that he had loved her from the start.  "I had the feeling there was something about you," she confessed, "but I was stubborn, it took me a while to allow myself the freedom to love again."  He certainly would understand, he knew well enough what she had been through.  "I'm glad you were patient and persistent."

It occurred to her that there would be no more nights alone, that she'd have a companion to help her with decisions and all, and that she had another chance at a family.

"Our celebrating starts today, then!"  Standing, she moved around the table so she was standing in front of him, then held out her hand.  "I would very much like to hug you, Mr. Pike." 

@Flip

Emeline's cheeks turned bright red when he declared that he had loved her from the start.  "I had the feeling there was something about you," she confessed, "but I was stubborn, it took me a while to allow myself the freedom to love again."  He certainly would understand, he knew well enough what she had been through.  "I'm glad you were patient and persistent."

“Cain’t say as I planned on bein’ patient, not a tall, but persistent, now I’ll surely admit to thet. He confessed. “I knew, given time, you’d be worth the wait, an’ I weren’t in no rush.” Which was true, although he had hoped things might have moved faster than they did, he was quite content that things had worked out as they had.

It occurred to her that there would be no more nights alone, that she'd have a companion to help her with decisions and all, and that she had another chance at a family.

"Our celebrating starts today, then!"  Standing, she moved around the table so she was standing in front of him, then held out her hand.  "I would very much like to hug you, Mr. Pike."

“Well now, Tha’d be jest fine with me, Em.” Pike said as he rose to his feet and stepped forward, taking her in his arms and gently drawing her in. “Gonna be lots of these betwixt you an me.” He added as he held her. He was surprised that instead of the feelings he thought he would have, a calm had come over him, as if this then, was how it was supposed to be, without haste.

Tag @Bongo

They had embraced before, but propriety had always made those encounters brief and shallow.  Now, though, she could let him hold her, she could relish the feeling of being in the arms of a man who cared about her, who was going to help her and protect her, yet let her have her independence. 

Sighing, she leaned against him and rested her head on his chest, allowing as how she could gladly just stay here forever. 

And funny, for a proposal, you'd think there would be more energy, more excitement -- she remembered screaming and running home to tell her mother when Andrew had proposed, and then remembering that she hadn't told him 'Yes' yet!  But she'd been a girl then, ignorant of life, enthusiastic.

This, though...it was as if they had been together all their lives, and this was just another step in that friendship.

"Oh, Barnabas...you've given me so many things to think about now!"  Emeline laughed, then sighed again, taking a step back.  "I always thought that St. Nicholas was a myth, but I believe this is the best Christmas ever!"

@Flip

“Not much ta think on, really. Cain’t build til spring, but we kin plan how it’ll look, how may rooms an’ sech.” He said., his voice just above a whisper. “We had them plans already, I jest sortta finalized em fer us. Well, that an’ askin’ fer yer hand. Don’t believe I was all thet good at it, but then I ain’t sure how one’d be good at it either.”

“If the world weren’t blanketed in white out there I’d say we could ride out to our property. I like the sound’a thet, our property.” He was consumed with joy tempered with contentment. “Lovin’ you was the easiest thing ever Emeline.”

Tag @Bongo

"It'll be clear in a day or so, and we can ride our horses to our property."  She smiled up at him, then relaxed into his embrace again.  "We can figure out the house later, there's time for that..."  She was actually looking forward to planning all that with him, but there were more immediate issues.

"I was thinking more on...marriage plans."  She didn't want to say 'wedding', she'd done that and didn't need a lot of hoopla, so the sort of ceremony would be up to him.  Honestly, tomorrow with the Justice of the Peace was fine with her!  "And making room for you here."  She laughed.  "I thought you were going to tell me that you were wanted for murder!"

@Flip

"It'll be clear in a day or so, and we can ride our horses to our property."  She smiled up at him, then relaxed into his embrace again.  "We can figure out the house later, there's time for that..."  She was actually looking forward to planning all that with him, but there were more immediate issues.

He smiled, liking where he was at the moment, "Reckon it will, jest hope we kin git them horses outta the barn. Take some doin’ on the street, and then there’s the trail ta contend with, but we’ll see.” He said, knowing it depended on how much more snow fell. Horses didn’t much care for snow up to their bellies. “Back up on Sun Mountain, things wuz differn’t. They had the man power ta clear the boardwalks, an the traffic ta plow through the streets, an’ the rails too. Busy place Virginia City."

"I was thinking more on...marriage plans."  She didn't want to say 'wedding', she'd done that and didn't need a lot of hoopla, so the sort of ceremony would be up to him.  Honestly, tomorrow with the Justice of the Peace was fine with her!  "And making room for you here."  She laughed.  "I thought you were going to tell me that you were wanted for murder!"

“Not so’s you’d notice, I ain’t. Guyer’d have me in a cell was I wanted, fer anything.” He laughed. “Now, about them weddin’ plans, yer talkin’ about. Reckon I’d ask Guyer ta stand up for me. Fella oughtta have a best man, an’ he’ll do. But you bein’ the bride an’ all, best I let you decide how we’ll do this. Best I stay at the boardin' house till tie the knot.”

Tag @Bongo

"I'll have to think on things."  Emeline didn't want him to feel as if she didn't care enough about him to want a more formal ceremony, but then, she didn't think it would really matter to him...and she didn't want to put it off too far.  No flowers in Winter, bad weather making access hard and the weather poor...

"I don't want to wait until Spring, I know that much!"  Especially when he pointed out that he couldn't, of course, stay here until they were actually married.  But then, that would give her some time to rearrange things to make it more conducive to a couple.  "I do need to talk to some people, too."  Maybe Clare would like to attend?

"So...do you still want breakfast?  Or to sit and talk things out?  Oh, I have a present for you, not nearly grand, though."  She most assuredly hadn't expected any of this!  And strangely, she was itching to get out of the fancy dress and back into a simple skirt and blouse!

@Flip

"I'll have to think on things."  Emeline didn't want him to feel as if she didn't care enough about him to want a more formal ceremony, but then, she didn't think it would really matter to him...and she didn't want to put it off too far.  No flowers in Winter, bad weather making access hard and the weather poor...

Pike was far from being an non understanding man. He knew that for him it was a simple matter of simply asking the question, the hard part, and then following along with what would come next, although he had only asked the question once before. Weddings were high on a woman’s list.

“Well sure, ya need ta do thet. It’s knee deep out there, gonna be tough fer a bit ta git anythin’ done around here.” He said, nodding his head

"I don't want to wait until Spring, I know that much!"  Especially when he pointed out that he couldn't, of course, stay here until they were actually married.  But then, that would give her some time to rearrange things to make it more conducive to a couple.  "I do need to talk to some people, too."  Maybe Clare would like to attend?

“Sure as shootin’, there’s folks that’d feel bad if’n we didn’t invite ‘em.” He stated, realizing there were people that should be invited. Friends of both of them, though she probably had the longer list. “Look we’ll jest take the time whot we need, weather’s gonna be a factor, no doubt about it. So maybe we jest handle taday fer now.”

"So...do you still want breakfast?  Or to sit and talk things out?  Oh, I have a present for you, not nearly grand, though."  She most assuredly hadn't expected any of this!  And strangely, she was itching to get out of the fancy dress and back into a simple skirt and blouse!

“Shore, and while we eat we kin still talk. We do thet purdy well.” He suggested. “A present? Then I’m sure it’s plenty grand, Em.” He smiled. “Ya know, I kin jest head downstairs whilst you change clothes. Ya oughtta be comfortable, an I shorely don’t mind.”

Tag @Bongo

"Is it that obvious?"  Emeline laughed and shook her head.  Some ladies were made for finery, but then, you had to have all the trappings to go with them, pretty house, fancy furniture...Emeline was more than happy as she was, simple, level-headed, and she knew that that was what Barnabas knew of her, so he wasn't expecting frills and frippery...not that that excluded a future trip to St. Louis, or even San Francisco one day, but then, the setting would match the clothes...and besides, anything like that was a long way off.

"I'm fine for breakfast, may as well keep this on for a while, considering the trouble it was to get it all hooked up just right."  She laughed.  "Such finery is for ladies who have nothing else to do than spend half the day dressing, and then don't have anything to do that will make a mess!  Heavens, I can't imagine having to change from this into something similar."  Of course, he may well not know all the layers and pinnings that went into ladies' things!

"Sit and have breakfast."  She waved to the table, "When we're done we can move to the parlor."  Grinning, she gestured to the padded chairs set before the fireplace.  Save for the bedroom, her apartment was just one big room separated by furniture!

@Flip

"Is it that obvious?"  Emeline laughed and shook her head.  Some ladies were made for finery, but then, you had to have all the trappings to go with them, pretty house, fancy furniture...Emeline was more than happy as she was, simple, level-headed, and she knew that that was what Barnabas knew of her, so he wasn't expecting frills and frippery...not that that excluded a future trip to St. Louis, or even San Francisco one day, but then, the setting would match the clothes...and besides, anything like that was a long way off.

“Figger I know ya, and whot you’d preefer ta be wearin’s all. That is a mighty purdy dress fer the purdiest gal in Kalispell. Take my oath on thet, I would. You do as ya like, I’m jest blessed ta be here with ya.” He said as well as he could. He was taken aback by the change in her appearance the moment he stepped through the door.

"I'm fine for breakfast, may as well keep this on for a while, considering the trouble it was to get it all hooked up just right."  She laughed.  "Such finery is for ladies who have nothing else to do than spend half the day dressing, and then don't have anything to do that will make a mess!  Heavens, I can't imagine having to change from this into something similar."  Of course, he may well not know all the layers and pinnings that went into ladies' things!

“Well now, I dunno about thet Em. I been in some real highfalutin joints up on the Comstock, purdy as you are, why you’d fit right in Emeline Blakesley, sure as snow on Christmas!” He grinned, and had been grinning like a boy with a new pup. She was all he could see.

"Sit and have breakfast."  She waved to the table, "When we're done we can move to the parlor."  Grinning, she gestured to the padded chairs set before the fireplace.  Save for the bedroom, her apartment was just one big room separated by furniture!

He paused as looked over the single room, large, but still one room, then went to the table and waited on her to take a seat, which he had pulled out for her. “This here’s gonna be grand, us hitched. Danged if I ain’t the happiest man here in Kalispell. We’re gonna have us a time, you’n me. I garentee it!”

Tag @Bongo

"I've no doubt on that!"  Emeline laughed as she sat, a laugh of pure joy.  "I can just imagine the mischief we'll get into wedded!  We've caused enough trouble as it is." 

Although they had met just a few months ago, they had actually spent a good deal of time together, not just leisure time chatting, but actually working together, planning together, and just recently dealing with the carnage in Whitefish.  She had no doubt they would do well in marriage, and she had none of the girlish illusions she'd had the first time.

"Of course," she quipped as she moved the cheese blintzes from their serving platter to smaller plates, "I saved the dishes for you!"

Laughing, she set a plate in front of Barnabas.  "This is blackberry preserves, and strawberry jam," she indicated the small jars.  "More dishes to wash...Oh, and I should teach you how to make preserves!"

@Flip

"I've no doubt on that!"  Emeline laughed as she sat, a laugh of pure joy.  "I can just imagine the mischief we'll get into wedded!  We've caused enough trouble as it is."

“Mischief? The two of us? How kin thet be, Em? Why we’re , we’re...caused enough trouble you say? Was I not with you when this happened an’ you think I wuz?” He chimed in.

Although they had met just a few months ago, they had actually spent a good deal of time together, not just leisure time chatting, but actually working together, planning together, and just recently dealing with the carnage in Whitefish.  She had no doubt they would do well in marriage, and she had none of the girlish illusions she'd had the first time.

"Of course," she quipped as she moved the cheese blintzes from their serving platter to smaller plates, "I saved the dishes for you!"

“I’ll have you know, ma’am I am a profess’nl pearl diver, if I do say so ma’ sef!” He stated proudly.

Laughing, she set a plate in front of Barnabas.  "This is blackberry preserves, and strawberry jam," she indicated the small jars.  "More dishes to wash...Oh, and I should teach you how to make preserves!"

“Ma al’ays made up the best perserves, cain’t hardly wait’ll I try yers. Cuz up ta now, you make the best ever’thin’ I ever et!” Which was true, well since he was grown. “Ya know I don’t mind doin’ tem dishes. Keeps me close to ya.”

Tag @Bongo