• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• It was long, tedious work, even though, for the most part, it was just plodding along with the cows, making sure they all stayed together and went the right way they were supposed to.  Even after the wind picked up, there were only a few mavericks who tried to wander off on their own, but the drag riders managed to coax them back to the herd.   As the day progressed, Annie became less jiggy, and Justus could tell she was getting tired.  "It's all right, Miz Annie."  He patted the horse's neck, then tightened the bandanna that was keeping his hat from blowing away.   "Ya think this is just a dry wind?" Justus called to Loredo, "or somethin' more movin' in?"  There wasn't the smell of rain in the air yet, nor clouds, but he knew that the weather could change quickly.  "Will they try ta settle in camp early?"  It seemed to him that if there was 'weather' moving in, it was better to have the cattle settled than moving, but what did he know? He just hoped it didn't impact supper!   @Flip
    • "Wonderful!"  Jonah almost clapped, for this had been going on for so long, that he really expected that this would be some sort of new setback, and Leah certainly didn't need any more complications.  "I'm sure it's going to be a huge relief when they finally break ground.  It's going to be rewarding to watch it take shape, and for you to know you are responsible for it."   He hoped, for her sake more than anything, that the weather cooperated, and that the progress was swift and without complications.    "You'll be overseeing the project?"  He couldn't imagine that she'd step back now, and not assure that every detail was right.   @Flip
    • "Boss, we found us a herd ripe for the pluckin'. Maybe we oughtta move on it afore they change where they're grazin' 'em, an make it more difficult." Toole suggested. "We can take close to a hunderd head easy enough, they move 'em, thet might not be the way of it."   "'Scuse me men, but Toole here is on to something, and cattle is our other business. We've customers waiting up north." Case said, not happy at being interrupted, yet realizing that what he said was true. It was why they were there, and it was what the did. "So go on and make yourselves to home while I get this job situated."   "Oh sure thing, Case, an thanks for the offer. We appreciate it, 'mon boys." Shannon said, and with that they walked outside to find the other building Case was talking about.   "Alright Toole what did you have in mind?" Case asked.   "The place is just at the foothills where they have their cattle. Now any buildin's 'er maybe a mile, mile'n a half away. What we saw was just maybe four riders wit the cattle, may not hav'ta kill any of 'em. We just filter down through the trees and then rush 'em. Maybe eight 'er ten of us, circle the heard an' push 'em back the way we come which was the long way around , and shore they'll be tracks alomst all the way to the dry river bed, maybe  whot, two mile from the tree line. Hard ground to river bed, but they won't catch us, not seein's they're out numbered."   Case gave it some thought, but Toole had been plotting how they would steal a herd for quite a while, and he knew what he was doing. Besides, no County Sheriff, no problem!   "Pick your men, Toole and get it done." Case said, knowing if they got a hundred head, that would be enough to drive north, once the brands were altered.
    • Having a second thought, to bolster the findings he sent for Fairchild before he could leave for New Orleans, and in the vicinity of Elinor Steelgrave, that could be done at another time after this meeting with Elias himself.   It was like hedging his bet on the situation. He wanted Elias to meet the man who could explain what was in the file in detail, much better than he himself.  might be able to. Nothing like being prepared. Elias could be unpredictable when upset, if a man like Fairchild explaining what he had found could manage to keep Steelgrave manage-ably clam then the expense was worth it to all concerned.   He had to congratulate himself on the idea. It just might work!
    • List in hand, they made their way back to town and to the Anderson's Mercantile where they laid out their list of needs. John and Mary Agnes looked over the list and began adding prices, plus shipping where it was warranted.   "So, you're in the mining business Marshal?" John asked.   "We are." Alice replied with a wide proud smile on her face. Speed just looked at her.   "Amos here found a property to good to pass up, so I bought it myself." Speed said, "Actually two properties, the other on is off to the west, but this one is just north of the Evergreen Ranch a couple of miles."   "Ah that would be the Henshaw mine. Sad about his wife passing on so suddenly. Life can be hard out here, it was just too hard for Martha Henshaw, though she tried as hard as anyone could." Mary Agnes said. "Most all of what you have here we have in stock. Most all of this was on Henshaw's list as well, he just quit before he paid for it. I believe we can give you a good price on the machinery out back. Right John?"   "Yes we can, The fact is Speed I'll let you have it at our cost, plus the shipping expenses, of course. Be good to free up that room back there. Let me see here at my cost, yes, well, it looks to be just under three thousand dollars, without the things we have in stock that wasn't Henshaw's."   Fair enough John, and we appreciate it. Now, if you'll let me get up to the bank, we want to use their money until we get started, and then we'll settle up."   "Makes sense to me, it's what we did. Hated those monthly payments, but it worked for us." John agreed.   "We'll be back." Speed promised.

Your Services are Required

The Old Ranger

Mature Content: No

Author: Wayfarer playing an NPC

With: MacIntosh, Ke-Ni-Tay, Pvt. Shaw
When:  Late April 1876
Time of Day: Late morning

content-divider.png

npcforsagas.jpg

Private James 'Jamie' Shaw's worn boots crunched upon the dry soil of the fort's ground as he steadily approached a pair of figures sitting upon a porch. It was the older man he wanted, well was ordered, to speak with. He was the white civilian scout MacIntosh. Shaw didn't know the Injun's name and he didn't care either. He had lost friends to Injuns and he pretty much hated all these murdering redskins for even existing. But duty was duty.

Once he got to within easy hearing range, he halted, cleared his throat - not to let them know of his approach, they damn well knew that already - but for speaking.

"Mornin' Mr. MacIntosh, I been sent to inform you that there is gonna be a patrol goin' out today and your presence is expected. They'll be leaving an hour from now and Captain Barlow will be in command. If you could kindly pack what you need and tend to your mounts, the Captain said he will explain the details of all this on the way out. "

He gave a quick side glance toward the Indian, "Him too."

Now personally he didn't trust that Injun but apparently they were a package deal and the captain had said he wanted both the available scouts. You don't argue with officers, he learned that early in his service experience.

"Mornin' Mr. MacIntosh, I been sent to inform you that there is gonna be a patrol goin' out today and your presence is expected. They'll be leaving an hour from now and Captain Barlow will be in command. If you could kindly pack what you need and tend to your mounts, the Captain said he will explain the details of all this on the way out. "

“Mornin’.” MacIntosh gave a glace to the soldier with a nod. ‘Be there.” He responded, a chance to get away from the fort was always welcome. And without the former commander, Colonel Brittles, it would be different. Better? Of that he could not be sure, he would know soon enough.

He gave a quick side glance toward the Indian, "Him too."

MacIntosh looked to Ke-Ni-Tay, the Mimbreño Apache, and his long time friend. The Indian simply nodded in reply. He too would be glad to get out of the white mans fort. Glad to be out in the fresh air.

Now personally he didn't trust that Injun but apparently they were a package deal and the captain had said he wanted both the available scouts. You don't argue with officers, he learned that early in his service experience.  

The pair gathered up their horse and  followed Privet Shaw to headquarters where they would meet with the Captain, and Commanding Officer. He was seasoned, MacIntosh knew that, promotions were slow on the plains, or for that matter wherever he came from.

“Captain.” MacIntosh said.

large.Ke-Ni-Tay-5A.jpg.26ae55d8d1ddf7b359cd82ad925dbbc3.jpg

Tag @Wayfarer

Benjamin was leaving the fort's headquarters, he had just finished up a discussion with the fort commandant and his superior, Col. MacKenzie. Of course the intelligence he had garnered from Mr. Crabbe had needed to be passed on to the other officer. As he had hoped, MacKenzie saw the necessity of moving rapidly to act on this news so they quickly conferred on the details. Barlow was then ordered to take a strong patrol out and see if they could locate this gun runner. The colonel also approved of him taking the civilian scouts along too.

As he stepped out, there were what had to be these very scouts.

"Captain," the white man greeted him by his rank, they had yet to meet. But nothing like the present to rectify that detail.

"Yes, and you must be Mr. MacIntosh, good to see you are quite prompt," Benjamin held out his hand to shake, these weren't soldiers so no saluting but nothing wrong with a traditional introduction.

"I am Captain Benjamin Barlow, nice to meet you. I've heard good things about you ...and your companion from the colonel. I'm gonna need that expertise. We are going on a little hunt you see," he gave what passed for a smile, he wasn't much for smiling.

“That I am.” MacIntosh replied, Ke-Ni-Tay stood silent, appraising the Captain, as he did every man, red or white.

"I am Captain Benjamin Barlow, nice to meet you. I've heard good things about you ...and your companion from the colonel. I'm gonna need that expertise. We are going on a little hunt you see," he gave what passed for a smile, he wasn't much for smiling.

“A hunt Captain? A hunt for what, or is it who. Local Indians out?”  He asked. “Not that it matters much I guess, just like to be prepared for what I’m about to be involved in.”

Tag @Wayfarer

“A hunt Captain? A hunt for what, or is it who. Local Indians out?”  the veteran scout asked. “Not that it matters much I guess, just like to be prepared for what I’m about to be involved in.”

"It is who. We have just found out information on a certain gun runner and whiskey supplier to the Indians who may well still be operating in the area. We have an informant who I'm bringing along with us. If for no other reason than to identify our culprit," Barlow answered.

"The Indians apparently call this individual Grandfather but for now I've got very little on him and his operations. And of course what I do have is relying on the informant who I will readily admit is not exactly the sort I would ever trust. But it's an opening, and Col. MacKenzie rightly feels we need to at least try and run this operation down. There is going to be a lot of trouble this summer, everyone knows it. The Indians don't need more guns than they have already," he continued.

“My experience has been Indians, whiskey, and guns is a bad combination. SO we’re fready whenever you want to head out.” MacIntosh said. “Grandfather? Odd,“ he looked at Key Ni Tay, “don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone called Grandfather.”

“Not know about these tribes. Never my people call anyone Grandfather. He is the creator.” The Apache said, with a good deal of hand gestures. “Man like that no good, we need find and stop.” There were plenty of his own people out and fighting the white man. To him, the fighting was not good for either side.

large.Ke-Ni-Tay-5A.jpg.26ae55d8d1ddf7b359cd82ad925dbbc3.jpg

Tag @Wayfarer

"Never heard of him either. But our informant claims that's what he's called," Bejamin shrugged.

The Indian then spoke, his English was certainly more than passable. Barlow thought that was a good thing just in case MacIntosh should happen to go down or even get killed, they would still be able to communicate with the Indian.

"Yes, we feel he is a very bad man too. So we are going to see if we can find him then," he added.

OOC: Jumping to this thread: 

MacIntosh looked from the Captain to Ke-Ni-Tay and back. “Reckon you plan to take him alive, do you?” With a man of that sort, the lowest of the low as far as MacIntosh was concerned, death was a favorable outcome. Leaving him to Ke-Ni-Tay? Even better. Might not be so easy if he’s in the company of hostiles. Man like that needs help. Somebody’s selling to him, and then there’s moving the goods. Be interesting."

Jumping to Heading Off Trouble

• JulieS locked this topic