Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

Do the Right Thing

Addy nodded, smiling slightly, glad that she had Speed on her side...he'd do whatever he could for the boy.

At the telegraph office, the man there told them he hadn't been on shift when that telegraph came through, but there was a record in the books.

"Looks like there were several telegrams sent at once, from..." he ran his finger down the list, then nodded, "Silas Grimm, he's an undertaker from Helena who came out to sort the mess in Whitefish."  He looked at the pair.  "Guess the name was left off because there were so many.  Anything else I can do for you folks?  I could wire him for more information."

@Flip

Speed ;looked at him, then to Addy and back. "You do that, and you put my name to it. No need of a message to go with the request, just need to find out what an undertaker's concerning himself with a boy whose care for."

He looked to Addy, first we'll see what this fella wants with this knowledge. Like to see all of those telegrams, but I got no legal right, at the moment. Provided there's copies."

There was something not right about the request to start with. He wasn't sure he liked a man from Helena getting involved with Kalispell business. "You ever hear of this Silas Grimm?"

Tag @Bongo

"Never heard of him before now," the man answered with a shrug, "but never been to Helena.  I suppose the officials sent in someone to sort all the carnage out?"  From what he had heard, there had been dozens of dead, something that would attract the state officials.  "Many of the survivors were brought here, so it makes sense they'd be sending notifications here."

Addy nodded.  That made sense, but then, she wasn't sure how those things went.

"I'll do what I can to find out about the other telegrams," the man added, "should take an hour or so." 

@Flip

Speed smiled, “We appreciate that, sir. You needn’t bother trying to find me, I’ll stop by in couple of days and see what you’ve found out. Odd that a man unknown in this community would be requesting information regarding citizen of both Whitefish and seemingly Kalispell as well. And to know at least one child by name. "Well, thanks again.” He looked to Addy, “Well, shall we?”

This Grimm fellow, whoever he might be, didn’t sit well with him. There appeared to be a plan of some sort afoot. An undertaker interested in survivors now that just didn’t ring true, unless there was an ulterior motive which could be just about anything from his representing an orphanage, to supplying a child work force, that is if it was children he was after. He didn't like this one bit!

Tag @Bongo

With no specific answers, Addy nodded and followed after Speed, perplexed, but at least thinking that the longer there was a mystery to this, Weedy was safe.  "Seems like that if they could find his pa, they would'a sent th' telegram ta him, doncha think?  What's th' laws on that?  I mean, if he ain't got kin, he can stay with me, right?"

It wasn't as if she didn't have the means, and she'd been essentially looking after him for at least a couple years, making sure he had what he needed and went to school.

"I might just..."  Well, better not to say that aloud!

@Flip

With no specific answers, Addy nodded and followed after Speed, perplexed, but at least thinking that the longer there was a mystery to this, Weedy was safe.  "Seems like that if they could find his pa, they would'a sent th' telegram ta him, doncha think?  What's th' laws on that?  I mean, if he ain't got kin, he can stay with me, right?"

“I’m no lawyer, Addy, I wouldn’t know about that. What I do know is no undertaker from anywhere is going to come into my town to take anyone!” Speed declared. “Maybe we need to seek out Miss Harriet Mercer on this, but we’ve heard nothing more since the first telegram, so I don’t know.”

It wasn't as if she didn't have the means, and she'd been essentially looking after him for at least a couple years, making sure he had what he needed and went to school.

"I might just..."  Well, better not to say that aloud!

“Might just what, Addy? What? Run off with him? Make yourself a criminal?” Speed asked. “Listen Miss Mercer can help with this, we just need to give her a chance. Then you'd lose him for sure! And like I said, we’ve heard nothing more from this Silas Grimm, so let’s give the law a chance to work before anybody does anything rash.”

@Bongo

"They'd hafta find us first," she grumbled, surprised but not that he knew what she was going to say.  "I'll give yer way a chance, an' I reckon if anyone could untangle this, it'd be Miz Mercer.  Ought we ta find her now, get this started?"  Then she'd have to find Weedy and finally talk to him, although she suspected he suspected, how could he not, what with his mother gone so long this time?

"Not lookin' forward ta talkin' ta Weedy, but best get that done before he hears from someone else."  Wouldn't take long for word to spread, and even though there might not be any malicious intent, someone might ask him questions that would be awkward, especially if he hadn't been told.

@Flip

"They'd hafta find us first," she grumbled, surprised but not that he knew what she was going to say.  "I'll give yer way a chance, an' I reckon if anyone could untangle this, it'd be Miz Mercer.  Ought we ta find her now, get this started?"  Then she'd have to find Weedy and finally talk to him, although she suspected he suspected, how could he not, what with his mother gone so long this time?

“You know the law would be after you, and I know you, this isn’t you, kidnapping. Thanks for giving me a chance to straighten this out before it gets even crazier.” Speed said, though she looked and sounded determined, and he had no illusion that she would not follow through.

"Not lookin' forward ta talkin' ta Weedy, but best get that done before he hears from someone else."  Wouldn't take long for word to spread, and even though there might not be any malicious intent, someone might ask him questions that would be awkward, especially if he hadn't been told.

“Do you want me to give it a try? We seem to get along, him and me.” It was going to be difficult, no matter who was the one to tell him. Even if the boy had an inkling that his mother was gone. “I could go with you, if you’d like.”

@Bongo

"Law might try ta find us,  but good luck with that!" Addy declared, grinning, although it was with a mixture of determination and teasing, "although if anyone could do it, it'd be you."  She surely didn't want him tracking her to Mexico, or Canada...

Then he offered to talk to Weedy and she shook her head.  "Needs ta be me tells him, but I surely would appreciate ya bein' there."  She nodded as she headed toward the barn.  "I've a mind not ta give him th' telegram, though, just yet...maybe when he's older."  Sighing, she slowed, maybe trying to postpone the task, even though it had already been over three months.

"Just...gonna tell 'im, no hedgin', right?"

@Flip

"Law might try ta find us,  but good luck with that!" Addy declared, grinning, although it was with a mixture of determination and teasing, "although if anyone could do it, it'd be you."  She surely didn't want him tracking her to Mexico, or Canada...

“Not something I’d look forward too, but there may be no reason for you to do that. We don’t know who this man is, or why he’s interested.” Speed said.

Then he offered to talk to Weedy and she shook her head.  "Needs ta be me tells him, but I surely would appreciate ya bein' there."  She nodded as she headed toward the barn.  "I've a mind not ta give him th' telegram, though, just yet...maybe when he's older."  Sighing, she slowed, maybe trying to postpone the task, even though it had already been over three months.

“The I reckon you best do the telling and I’ll just be on hand.” Came his response. “Well see Miss Harriet Mercer on this and see if we can’t find a solution to this situation.”

"Just...gonna tell 'im, no hedgin', right?"

“Nope, no hedgin’.”

@Bongo

• Flip locked this topic