Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Thankfully he received the cup of coffee. A warm cozy feeling spread in the small place. Jay didn't need presents. His present was the company he was in. Weedy wanted more. He was excited about getting a present.   "I'm very happy to be here in such excellent company. Merry Christmas."   Jay took one of the small baked goodies. With a large smile he chewed. "Did Santa come last night?" Hopefully Addy had taken care of that.
    • Addy's nose wrinkled up -- she hated change, but she knew he was right -- then she nodded.  "Yer right.  I got change given ta me, an' I'm grateful ta be able ta help th' boy, an' ta do that, we'd need a proper home."   Didn't need to be big, just two bedrooms, besides the kitchen and common room.  "He'd be thrilled, I think, ta have his own place.  Might be th' first time he's had somethin' like that, I don't allow as he ever had a proper house with his Ma."  Yeah, she could get more comfortable with the idea looking at it from that angle, and honestly, it might be nice to have more than one room, and room to move around.  "I'd appreciate yer help on that.  Thank ya, Speed, this ain't been easy."   @Flip
    • "There you have it!" Emeline declared with a laugh, "Bridget will help with the cooking, and Barnabas can try our efforts to make certain that they are as good as they should be."  Then she added with a playful grin, "And Mr. Pike can do the dishes as well, he's quite the expert at that!"   She laughed again and gave Barnabas a quick kiss on the cheek.  "Or you can just make certain that we behave ourselves and don't burn down the kitchen!"   Then she patted Bridget on the arm.  "Don't worry one bit, we will have fun, we won't do any harm, and we can make whatever you like...well, so long as I know the recipe!"   @Javia; @Flip
    • Leah & Jonah   “It is a great opportunity to tell the ladies what the plans are, how it will affect the town, and that it was not conceived, nor was it arranged by anyone on the Town Council, which is what I believe their plan to be.” She paused s if to catch her breath. “I’m sorry, I am just ready to fight them for what they owe the town, and that has nothing to do with who arranged what or when.”   "All the more reason to get to the ladies early," Jonah commented, "so they know where the ideas are coming from, and are in the groundwork, so they feel like they have a stake in things."    But this was a party, a time to have a good time and set that sort of thing aside.  "Tell me, just how modern is Helena?  In comparison to, say, St. Louis?  I wouldn't mind getting away for a day or two, maybe see a play or an opera."   As much as Kallispell suited his needs, he was craving a little civilization!   @Flip
    • Brendan, Arabella (and Charlie and Clara)   "Yes, I am, very much so!"   Clara and the other man were off away from them again. Brendan grinned at Clara's flustered reply to him and at Arabella's mock indignation.   “Whoa Cowboy! You’re meant to be smiling at me not … in again, in, in, in, out, out, out … not a-grinnin at the opposition!! Two more o’ these, then the jig!”   "Sorry," he said as they moved through the motions of the dance, "but she ain't the opposition, really. Here..." He smiled down at her. "There...happy now? Ooop..."    They moved into the jig and he almost started going the wrong way, but stopped in time because he was watching Arabella's eyes. He could tell a lot about an animal from its eyes, but when it came to people's eyes he couldn't tell much except which direction the person was looking in. During a dance, that was quite helpful.   The dance was not as scary as Arabella had made it out to be, and now that he had gotten the hang of it, he didn't really want it to be over - even though he would be out of breath and ready for a rest by the time the musicians stopped. He needed to make a visit to the beer tent soon.   He glanced over at Clara and her partner again and met the eyes of the man she was dancing with - just for a second before both couples turned and he was looking back at Arabella. Why was the man watching him? It wasn't as if he had insulted Clara or anything.   @Javia @Wayfarer @JulieS    

Speed reached the bridge,and below he could see Weedy throwing rocks into the stream that ran beneath the bridge. He was throwing them harder and harder, the inner rage obvious, so Speed waited, because he knew the pain of losing his mother. She had passed while he was at war and unable to get home. His rage was taken out in battle against the Army of Northern Virginia, or whatever units he and 13th New Jersey faced until it passed.

He watch the boy suddenly drop to the ground, exhausted from the expended energy, shoulders quaking from the tears that had to escape him. It was then that Speed made his way down to the boy.

“It’s okay Weedy, I’m just here to make sure you’re safe, I’m not here to make you do anything you don’t want to do. I lost my Mother too. I know how you feel Weedy, I do. It’s hard. But it will pass, I promise you that, it will pass.” He said softly as he crouched down next to him. “Miss Addy’s plenty worried about you, you know.”

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Weedy heard the footsteps and tensed, ready to bolt, but then he heard the Marshal's voice and continued throwing rocks.  He'd never outrun the man, and besides, there was a part of him that wanted to talk, if only he could figure out what to say.

"I been keeping myself safe since I was a little kid," the boy muttered, tossing another stone.  "My Ma didn't much care where I was or if I was safe...or had supper.  I took more care of her than she did me."  Turning, he looked at the man, the pain evident in his expression.  "But why'd she be in Whitefish without me?  And why's Miz Addy do that?  I thought we were friends?"

@Flip

“There just ain’t no way of knowing why she was up there that night. Might have just got caught in the storm and  holed up til she blew over, like most folks do.” Speed began, picking up a smooth river rock, and skimming it across the surface before squatting down. “Now Miss Addy, you know she care about you, a lot.”

“Miss Addy loves you like you were hers, she’s the best friend you got. Now, she knows that you’re plenty able to care for yourself, when you have to, but with her bein’ there for you, you don’t have to. She got ths letter tellin’ her about your Ma. Might have told you right off, but we know that maybe she was there, and maybe she wasn’t. So she and I have been searchin’ about for her, but we turned up nothin.” It was a bit of a stretch, but he had feelers out about her for a different reason.

“It was time you were told. Now we know nothing about the man that wrote the letter, nor why he wrote it. What I want you to know, Weedy, is it was a hard thing for either of us to tell you without knowin’ for sure one way ‘er ‘tuther.”

@Bongo

He didn't really understand the part about the letter, and he hadn't expected that anyone would know why his mother did anything she had done, but Weedy did know that Miz Addy was a good friend, and that he'd never have to worry about anything.

But that was the problem.

"I love Ma," he muttered, "but I hate her, too.  She wasn't a good Ma, didn't do things a ma should, and I don't know what I did wrong so she didn't love me back."  How did a mother not take care of her child?  All the other children in school had folks to look after them, so why hadn't he?  It had to be something he'd done wrong.

@Flip

“A lesson I had to learn early on, Weedy, it wasn’t my fault if there was problems between my Ma and Pa. It wasn’t my fault if it seemed I wasn’t loved like my brother and sister.” He said softly, “People love differently, they show that love differently and sometimes we misread their intentions and their feelings."

"Your Ma loved you, I’ll take my oath on that. She just showed it differently than say, Addy. Now all those questions about why she was in Whitefish may never be answered, just like many of the others that perished in that awful storm."

"Reckon God called them home because he needed them by his side.”

@Bongo

Weedy had heard that before, about God wanting people home with him, and it had sort of made sense, until now, when it was his ma that God wanted.  For a moment, he contemplated silently, mulling everything over, Speed's words having more impact because he'd had similar experiences.

"Guess she isn't sad anymore, huh?"  He looked up at Speed, his expression very serious.  "She was sad a lot.  Maybe God wants to make her happy, so he took her to Heaven."

That made sense, and he knew from church that she'd be waiting for him, even watching over him now, more than she had before. 

"I told her I love her," he murmured, "last time I saw her."  And then the tears started, in earnest, and he reached for Speed, holding the man tightly.

After checking the small shack that Weedy's mother had called home, Addy headed for the bridge, hoping that Speed had found the boy there.  If anyone could help sort things out, it was Speed....or maybe Jay, but she didn't know where he was at the moment.

At the house, she had gathered a couple of things, including a letter that was on the table, although she hadn't really been able to read it, except for a few words that didn't help her figure out what it was about.

Relief washed over her when she saw the two under the bridge, and her heart broke.  But for now, she'd stay back, until Speed noticed her and waved her over.

@Flip

"I told her I love her," he murmured, "last time I saw her."  And then the tears started, in earnest, and he reached for Speed, holding the man tightly.

Speed put his arms about the boy, drawing him in, letting cry. “It’s alright Weedy, you’re no alone. Yes, you lost your Ma, but there are a whole lot of folks that care about you. And there’s Miss Addy, she’s worried sick about you, so just know that you’re loved by lots of folks.”

It was not an easy thing for Speed to witness the boys pain, he’d had so much of his own, the loss of his parents, the men under his command, all of that death he had not only witnessed but participated in during war years. He patted Weedys back gently as he cried.

He looked up and caught sight of Addy waiting above, so he nodded for her to come on down.

@Bongo

At Speed's nod, Addy walked slowly over to them, then sat in the dirt beside them, putting an arm around the boy and just sitting silently with them until Weedy finally let go of Speed and gripped onto her.  Even then, there was no need for words, but just offered support until the sobbing finally stopped. 

"Ya wanna go home now?" she asked quietly, and Weedy nodded, wiping his eyes with his sleeve.  "All right, then."  She stood and offered the boy her hand, and he took that, and Speed's as well.

Slowly, they walked back toward town, and when they got to the barn that Addy called home, she turned to Speed.  "Reckon I'm gonna hafta look fer a proper place now."  After all, Weedy couldn't continue to live with her in the small room at the back of the barn.  "Thank ya fer th' help, Speed," she murmured, "we truly do appreciate it.  Will ya meet us fer supper at th' Lickskillet?"

Hopefully, in a few hours, Weedy would be recovered enough to give them some more definitive information on his family.

@Flip

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)
  • Liked your post, Pard! 1

Slowly, they walked back toward town, and when they got to the barn that Addy called home, she turned to Speed.  "Reckon I'm gonna hafta look fer a proper place now."  After all, Weedy couldn't continue to live with her in the small room at the back of the barn.  "Thank ya fer th' help, Speed," she murmured, "we truly do appreciate it.  Will ya meet us fer supper at th' Lickskillet?"

“Yes Ma’am, that sounds just fine to me.” Speed said accepting her offer. I understand there’s a small place, plenty big enough for two over on Third Street. Nice place saw it the other day as the Jackson’s found a place to farm on.”

Hopefully, in a few hours, Weedy would be recovered enough to give them some more definitive information on his family.

Speed looked to the boy knowing he’d be alright. Losing family was never easy, and there would be times when Weedy would let out some of that anger that would be inside. He’d need not just a strong hand, but an understanding one, and that would be Addy.

@Bongo

Supper @ The Lickskillet

It had been a long afternoon, and Addy was exhausted, although optimistic about Weedy's situation.  At least the boy had calmed down and they had had a chance to really talk about things.  Still, when it came to supper, he had decided to stay home, and Addy had promised to bring him some stew and pie.

She understood, and even though she had had a couple months to ponder this over, she felt at a loss, and was grateful for Speed's help, and she'd talk to Jay about it tomorrow, once she had a few more details.

Now, she was sitting at a table at the Lickskillet, waiting on Speed, muddling and fretting over all the possibilities.

@Flip

Supper @ The Lickskillet

She understood, and even though she had had a couple months to ponder this over, she felt at a loss, and was grateful for Speed's help, and she'd talk to Jay about it tomorrow, once she had a few more details.

Now, she was sitting at a table at the Lickskillet, waiting on Speed, muddling and fretting over all the possibilities.

Speed came thru the door of the Café where he spent most mornings ahead of he duties at the office and then at the Marshal’s office. His company was coming right along, growing slowly staff wise, but growing none the less.

This meeting with Addy was certainly not about anything but young Weedy and what if anything, was to become of him based on what they could do about it.

“Hello Addy, well, seems we need to come up with some sort of plan that doesn’t include your running off to Mexico.” He greeted. “How’s the boy doing?”

@Bongo

Addy grinned and nodded to Speed as he sat across from her.  "Nope, no Mexico...Canada, maybe!  Closer an' cooler!"  She shrugged and sighed.  "He's doin' as good as can be expected, I reckon.  At least he hasn't run off again, so that's somethin'."

Emeline came by and took their order, then she continued with what she had managed to find out.

"So, boy's real name is Porter James, we know that, an' his ma was Chloe James...just not sure if that was a maiden name or married, an' I don't know that he'd know...didn't ask."

Understandably, she didn't want the boy to think that his ma and pa hadn't been married.

"Says his pa's name was Daniel, his ma told him he was killed by Injuns...that was when he was 'little'."  She shrugged again.  Poor guy was little now, so there was no question that he didn't know details.

"Reckon maybe we can talk ta some'a th' folks from Whitefish, see if maybe someone remembers Weddy's ma bein' there?"  It might help to know what she was doing there when the storm hit.

@Flip

Addy grinned and nodded to Speed as he sat across from her.  "Nope, no Mexico...Canada, maybe!  Closer an' cooler!"  She shrugged and sighed.  "He's doin' as good as can be expected, I reckon.  At least he hasn't run off again, so that's somethin'."

“Yes, that is something. I know that the boy can feel lost, but I also know that you keep him grounded by that care you provide for him.” Speed said.

Emeline came by and took their order, then she continued with what she had managed to find out.

"So, boy's real name is Porter James, we know that, an' his ma was Chloe James...just not sure if that was a maiden name or married, an' I don't know that he'd know...didn't ask."

“Probably just as well.” Speed observed. “No need to add to what he’s dealing with already.”

Understandably, she didn't want the boy to think that his ma and pa hadn't been married.

"Says his pa's name was Daniel, his ma told him he was killed by Injuns...that was when he was 'little'."  She shrugged again.  Poor guy was little now, so there was no question that he didn't know details.

“Now that could be. Indians raid on and off, whether they’re on the warpath or not. They see an easy target, they’re just as likely to take it as not.” He observed, one never really knew what the red man was liable to do.

"Reckon maybe we can talk ta some'a th' folks from Whitefish, see if maybe someone remembers Weedy's ma bein' there?"  It might help to know what she was doing there when the storm hit.

“Maybe some might know of her being there and why. Would answer some questions, at least about her, it’s Daniel I’d like to find out about, if in fact there is, or was, a Daniel Porter.” He added, “worth a shot anyways.”

@Bongo

Addy took a breath and nodded.  "Didn't never wonder much 'bout th' specifics, just that this little waif come loiterin' 'round th' barn, needin' some food an' a kind word."  She smiled fondly.  "He's always been a good lad...that's one thing his Ma did right.  He kept comin' back, stayin' when he said his Ma was 'in a way'..."

Well, Speed could figure out the rest.  "Only met his ma a couple'a times, she was pretty much soused one time, but not so bad when she wasn't lost to th' likker."

Addy had even sent food and some salvaged clothing home with Weedy on occasion, even if she wanted to throttle the woman for the way she treated her son.

"So, reckon we can ask some'a th' older folks in town?  I'm not even sure that Weedy was born here.  Maybe look inta records?"  She wasn't sure if that would be the courthouse or maybe a church? 

"Problem in..." she looked Speed in the eye, "can't say as I want ta know."

@Flip

Addy took a breath and nodded.  "Didn't never wonder much 'bout th' specifics, just that this little waif come loiterin' 'round th' barn, needin' some food an' a kind word."  She smiled fondly.  "He's always been a good lad...that's one thing his Ma did right.  He kept comin' back, stayin' when he said his Ma was 'in a way'..."

“Yes, I’d have to agree, for the most part, he’s a good boy, not often involved in the pranks and such the other boys get themselves into. And yes, I’d agree about his raising, between the two of you, he’s been raise right.” He agreed.

Well, Speed could figure out the rest.  "Only met his ma a couple'a times, she was pretty much soused one time, but not so bad when she wasn't lost to th' likker."

“Drink has a way with some folks that it don’t have with most others. A dark possession of them, where drink is the only thing they seem to care about. I know that she most likely loved her boy, but the drink stole her away from all that was normal for a woman with a child.” He had seen it often on the streets of New York as well as in his travels across the country, most places having a town drunk.

Addy had even sent food and some salvaged clothing home with Weedy on occasion, even if she wanted to throttle the woman for the way she treated her son.

"So, reckon we can ask some'a th' older folks in town?  I'm not even sure that Weedy was born here.  Maybe look inta records?"  She wasn't sure if that would be the courthouse or maybe a church?

“I can look into it at the courthouse, it’s just upstairs from the office.” He offered, knowing the clerk would oblige him by searching the records. “I’d wager if such records were available in Whitefish, they were lost in the disaster, but yes, asking around with the survivors, some might know.”

"Problem in..." she looked Speed in the eye, "can't say as I want ta know."

“I’d have to agree with you, can’t say I’d want to know either. I do know the boy is safe and sound in your care.” Speed assured her. “And, finding a place for the two of you should be fairly easy. Be my pleasure to help look.”

@Bongo

"Good.'   Addy nodded, then grinned.  "I ain't got much by way'a readin' an' writin', as Weedy is quick ta point out!"  It was friendly banter they had now and then, and she countered that her not really being able to read was all the more reason he needed to learn!  'Reckon we gotta check."

The food and drinks were set on the table, Addy gave Emeline a nod, then looked back at Speed.  "Not in a great hurry ta move, 'though I can talk with Weedy on it.  Don't want too much changin'."

Sighing, she took a bite of stew, finding the hot food helping to settle her nerves.  "Gotta be close to th' stables," she commented, "gotta keep an eye on th' horses."  Well, and it was just convenient to be able to just walk out the door to work.  Still...

"Reckon he's gettin' older, an' since it's gonna be permanent, he should have his own room.  I got some savin's."

@Flip

“Well Addy, you get ready to make a move, and there’ll plenty of help to get it done.” Speed responded. “And I agree, the boy needs his own room, so we’ll need to locate a place, with two bedrooms, close to the stables. If you don’t mind some help with finding a place like that.”

It was a good move for both of them. It would allow them to almost start over, which might be a good move. And there were some vacant properties that he knew of. I fact, Lowell Parmeter and his brood increased in size by a set of twins, and the place suddenly got too small right fast, so there was that one and it was just a block from the stables. It was two bedrooms, a sitting room, and a kitchen. Might just be perfect.

@Bongo

Addy's nose wrinkled up -- she hated change, but she knew he was right -- then she nodded.  "Yer right.  I got change given ta me, an' I'm grateful ta be able ta help th' boy, an' ta do that, we'd need a proper home."

Didn't need to be big, just two bedrooms, besides the kitchen and common room.  "He'd be thrilled, I think, ta have his own place.  Might be th' first time he's had somethin' like that, I don't allow as he ever had a proper house with his Ma."  Yeah, she could get more comfortable with the idea looking at it from that angle, and honestly, it might be nice to have more than one room, and room to move around.  "I'd appreciate yer help on that.  Thank ya, Speed, this ain't been easy."

@Flip