Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• “Hotel’s over there!” she pointed in the general direction of the Belle-St. Regis before folding her arms and frowning .    "I know, I can read signs, child," Caroline smirked.   Child?! Hmph!   “You can read?” asked Arabella, sounding surprised. But the woman dodged the potgirl with all the skill of a Yale football player, and  had moved toward Mr Flandry at the bar.   Arabella gave a hard stare at all of the fellers staring at this up-town fancy girl, some of them looked like they’d about twist their own heads off, the way they were craning their necks around. Arabella waved her hands at them, teacher like, to indicate that they should get back to their drinks and cards, and followed after the interloper.   "Excuse me, mister but is the owner of this fine establishment present? I am eager to tell her the good news," she smiled confidently.   Ralph paused then replied, "She is upstairs. Good news you say, miss?"    "Oh indeed, I can't wait to meet her. Her search for an entertainer is over. I'm here! " Caroline announced.    Ralph had to break into a bit of a smile himself at this bubbly and bold young woman, "You don't say? And you would be....?"    "I am Caroline....Caroline Mundee, and if I wasn't so modest I would add 'simply the finest saloon singer west of the Mississippi.' And if you don't believe me, you will once you hear me sing."   There wasn’t much room between Caroline and the bar, but Arabella managed to somehow sidle into it and get between the hussy and poor innocent Ralph, who, not seeming to have much to do with women, in her opinion, might be taken in by this painted lady.   “Not today, thank you!” she announced brightly. “We already have an entertainer, and that’s called me!” she told Caroline, jerking a thumb at her flat chest. “Singin’, Dancin’, Piannerin’ Cartwheels and telling funny jokes. And also, I’m an orphan, so the management don’t have to pay me one red cent!” she explained. "You look kinda pricy!"   “But don’t give up.” she continued, in mock helpful tones “There’s a town called Whitefish, just down the road, I hear the saloon there is looking for some…” she looked the curvaceous bimbo up and down “… ‘ singers'.”   Then she turned and shook a warning head vigorously at Mr. Flandry, as if to say Don’t be tempted by the pleasures of the flesh my son, even if there is a good deal of it on show!   But he wasn’t even looking at Arabella, he was staring at the demi-monde, polishing the same glass, with a stupid silly grin on his bearded face the like of which she’d never seen before. Maybe this entertainer did hypnotism, too, she thought; that’d explain it.  
    • "No judgin' our stories," Addy commented, "we all got our different experiences, an' reckon livin' in a saloon was...eclectic...lots'a interestin' characters, I reckon, give ya a chance ta learn different ideas."  She shrugged, chuckling.  "Most folks just hunker down in their house, go ta th' same church with th' same people, see th' same folks in town, then when they step out, it's a surprise ta them."    So many people, in her experience, never ventured more than a few miles beyond their home, not sought out experiences or people outside of their small circle.  But even if Miz Caroline hadn't been much past her saloon, the people coming and going likely provided a good array of experiences.    "I'd not be able ta sleep with all th' noise, though," she added, "one thing listenin' ta horses munchin' an' stompin' now an' then, but shoutin' an' chairs movin' an' boots stompin'...that'd keep me awake all night!"   @Wayfarer
    • [Clara and Jacob, under the Moon]   "Roughing It? I will remember that if ever I should spot it someplace," Clara declared. Then at his mention of her employer she had an idea.    Jacob shrugged. “Well, we might have very different tastes, but I don’t think you know if you’ll like something unless you try it one time.” He was presumably talking about literature.   "Say, I will ask her if she would mind if you borrow a few of her books, that is if you interested. I am quite confident she would not refuse, she is most generous that way. Just make sure you are responsible enough to return them once you have finished them."   The rustic lad shook his head almost dolefully. “No need to worry there, I do hate to borrow anything.” He revealed. “Be it as small as a tack, it sort of weighs heavy on my soul until it’s returned to its rightful owner. It’s like old adage: ‘Never a lender nor borrower be’. I’ll never be a debtor if I can help it, that’s one good thing.” The very idea of being in debt seemed to revolt his very soul. “New books to read are the one exception, that’s the one forbidden fruit that I’m tempted enough to borrow.”   His early listing of activities sounded very much like some typical boy, Wyatt would approve of any of them. Well, until he got to the part about being enthralled by staring up into the stars.  And he expressed it quite elegantly too.   "Well said, Jacob," she sincerely complimented him.    He shook his head a little in surprise at the compliment. When you talked about something as beautiful as the night sky, or the majestic scenery of Northern Montana, or a girl like Clara Redmond, well, it was hard not to wax poetical.   "So, Jacob Lutz, a poet? You are quite the unique young fellow I must say. Although it does seem rather a waste of time and effort if you simply destroy them rather than share with a reader. Perhaps they are quite good, people might just enjoy them?"   He frowned a little at that idea. “I doubt that. And I certainly wouldn't enjoy anyone reading them. It’d be like …” he searched for a suitable embarrassing simile “… being stripped naked and paraded down Main Street!” He smiled at that. “No, I think the hogs enjoy them more than any potential reader of the things, anyway.”   "Well, we do not have hogs although Father has expressed an interest someday in purchasing a few. And no, I have never attempted to write poetry. I do not think I would be very good at it anyhow. Although...."she paused then continued, "I would someday like to read at least one of yours. Perhaps you might wrote a poem about me? I would be honored of course."   “What makes you think that I haven’t already?” he grinned sheepishly, before adding “I didn’t feed those ones to the hogs. I can assure you. Mind you, though, they’re pretty well hid!”   He quickly moved on from the subject, feeling a little exposed.   “And how about you, Clara?  I know that you like to read, too. But, well, if you had a whole day off of work, how would you spend it?” he asked by way of enquiry about her pastimes.   @Wayfarer
    • Caroline took in the place, noting the long bar with a not to be scoffed at selection of bottled liquors displayed on the shelves behind it then the dozen or so tables scattered about.  Ahh yes, and even more crucial at least regarding her future employment, there was a piano in the far corner and a small stage too. Perfect! She liked it already.   Now there were a few customers within. At one table two old men were playing cards, half drained beer glasses keeping them company as they studied their cards. Another man, a cowpoke, leaned up against the bar, conversing with a bearded bartender. Could that be Mr.....Mr...Flandry, yes she was pretty sure that was the name. As for the woman owner, no woman was currently in sight.   Not quite true, there was a girl now eying her, she had paused in scrubbing the floor. At least the business tried to keep their place cleaner than some joints she had been in.  The young missie did not look pleased for some reason.   “Hotel’s over there!” she pointed in the general direction of the Belle-St. Regis before folding her arms and frowning .   "I know, I can read signs, child," Caroline smirked.   She then turned to address the bartender who by then was aware of her presence as apparently were all the men in the place. She was used to be gawked it, didn't bother her none.   "Excuse me, mister but is the owner of this fine establishment present? I am eager to tell her the good news," she smiled confidently.     Ralph paused then replied, "She is upstairs. Good news you say, miss?"   "Oh indeed, I can't wait to meet her. Her search for an entertainer is over. I'm here! " Caroline announced.   Ralph had to break into a bit of a smile himself at this bubbly and bold young woman, "You don't say? And you would be....?"   "I am Caroline....Caroline Mundee, and if I wasn't so modest I would add 'simply the finest saloon singer west of the Mississippi.' And if you don't believe me, you will once you hear me sing."  
    • [Clara and Jacob, under the Moon]   The boy certainly seemed quite sincere and enthusiastic about books and reading. Clara was impressed. It also proved something. City folk sometimes seemed to think farm people were ignorant rustics and she never liked that attitude.   "Roughing It? I will remember that if ever I should spot it someplace," Clara declared. Then at his mention of her employer she had an idea.   "Say, I will ask her if she would mind if you borrow a few of her books, that is if you interested. I am quite confident she would not refuse, she is most generous that way. Just make sure you are responsible enough to return them once you have finished them."   Clara of course had been diligent and punctual about a quick turnaround when she borrowed volumes from the kindly woman.   She then inquired about the sort of things he did for what bits of leisure time he might have between farm work, fun activities as it were. Yes, even she had occasions where she indulged in a bit of fun. Life did not have to be all work.   His early listing of activities sounded very much like some typical boy, Wyatt would approve of any of them. Well, until he got to the part about being enthralled by staring up into the stars.  And he expressed it quite elegantly too.   "Well said, Jacob," she sincerely complimented him.   But then he added a revelation she would never have guessed. Poetry. He wrote poetry?! At first it sounded hard to believe but on second thought what with all his love of books and his suprisingly impressive way of speaking, it did make sense.   "So, Jacob Lutz, a poet? You are quite the unique young fellow I must say. Although it does seem rather a waste of time and effort if you simply destroy them rather than share with a reader. Perhaps they are quite good, people might just enjoy them?"   The reality was, in fact she had declared such to Miss Emeline when they discussed books and yes, poetry, that she personally did not like poetry. It seemed foolish and held no interest for her. Still, she was not about to admit that to Jacob. In this particular case just MAYBE, she might peruse his work and approve.  Now her own favorite pastime, though granted she seldom got to do it, now seemed much more mundane. She liked to swim in the small lake just off their farm property. Nothing was more refreshing after a stretch of hard labor on a hot summer day.   "Well, we do not have hogs although Father has expressed an interest someday in purchasing a few. And no, I have never attempted to write poetry. I do not think I would be very good at it anyhow. Although...."she paused then continued, "I would someday like to read at least one of yours. Perhaps you might wrote a poem about me? I would be honored of course."        

Speed reached the bridge,and below he could see Weedy throwing rocks into the stream that ran beneath the bridge. He was throwing them harder and harder, the inner rage obvious, so Speed waited, because he knew the pain of losing his mother. She had passed while he was at war and unable to get home. His rage was taken out in battle against the Army of Northern Virginia, or whatever units he and 13th New Jersey faced until it passed.

He watch the boy suddenly drop to the ground, exhausted from the expended energy, shoulders quaking from the tears that had to escape him. It was then that Speed made his way down to the boy.

“It’s okay Weedy, I’m just here to make sure you’re safe, I’m not here to make you do anything you don’t want to do. I lost my Mother too. I know how you feel Weedy, I do. It’s hard. But it will pass, I promise you that, it will pass.” He said softly as he crouched down next to him. “Miss Addy’s plenty worried about you, you know.”

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Weedy heard the footsteps and tensed, ready to bolt, but then he heard the Marshal's voice and continued throwing rocks.  He'd never outrun the man, and besides, there was a part of him that wanted to talk, if only he could figure out what to say.

"I been keeping myself safe since I was a little kid," the boy muttered, tossing another stone.  "My Ma didn't much care where I was or if I was safe...or had supper.  I took more care of her than she did me."  Turning, he looked at the man, the pain evident in his expression.  "But why'd she be in Whitefish without me?  And why's Miz Addy do that?  I thought we were friends?"

@Flip

“There just ain’t no way of knowing why she was up there that night. Might have just got caught in the storm and  holed up til she blew over, like most folks do.” Speed began, picking up a smooth river rock, and skimming it across the surface before squatting down. “Now Miss Addy, you know she care about you, a lot.”

“Miss Addy loves you like you were hers, she’s the best friend you got. Now, she knows that you’re plenty able to care for yourself, when you have to, but with her bein’ there for you, you don’t have to. She got ths letter tellin’ her about your Ma. Might have told you right off, but we know that maybe she was there, and maybe she wasn’t. So she and I have been searchin’ about for her, but we turned up nothin.” It was a bit of a stretch, but he had feelers out about her for a different reason.

“It was time you were told. Now we know nothing about the man that wrote the letter, nor why he wrote it. What I want you to know, Weedy, is it was a hard thing for either of us to tell you without knowin’ for sure one way ‘er ‘tuther.”

@Bongo

He didn't really understand the part about the letter, and he hadn't expected that anyone would know why his mother did anything she had done, but Weedy did know that Miz Addy was a good friend, and that he'd never have to worry about anything.

But that was the problem.

"I love Ma," he muttered, "but I hate her, too.  She wasn't a good Ma, didn't do things a ma should, and I don't know what I did wrong so she didn't love me back."  How did a mother not take care of her child?  All the other children in school had folks to look after them, so why hadn't he?  It had to be something he'd done wrong.

@Flip

“A lesson I had to learn early on, Weedy, it wasn’t my fault if there was problems between my Ma and Pa. It wasn’t my fault if it seemed I wasn’t loved like my brother and sister.” He said softly, “People love differently, they show that love differently and sometimes we misread their intentions and their feelings."

"Your Ma loved you, I’ll take my oath on that. She just showed it differently than say, Addy. Now all those questions about why she was in Whitefish may never be answered, just like many of the others that perished in that awful storm."

"Reckon God called them home because he needed them by his side.”

@Bongo

Weedy had heard that before, about God wanting people home with him, and it had sort of made sense, until now, when it was his ma that God wanted.  For a moment, he contemplated silently, mulling everything over, Speed's words having more impact because he'd had similar experiences.

"Guess she isn't sad anymore, huh?"  He looked up at Speed, his expression very serious.  "She was sad a lot.  Maybe God wants to make her happy, so he took her to Heaven."

That made sense, and he knew from church that she'd be waiting for him, even watching over him now, more than she had before. 

"I told her I love her," he murmured, "last time I saw her."  And then the tears started, in earnest, and he reached for Speed, holding the man tightly.

After checking the small shack that Weedy's mother had called home, Addy headed for the bridge, hoping that Speed had found the boy there.  If anyone could help sort things out, it was Speed....or maybe Jay, but she didn't know where he was at the moment.

At the house, she had gathered a couple of things, including a letter that was on the table, although she hadn't really been able to read it, except for a few words that didn't help her figure out what it was about.

Relief washed over her when she saw the two under the bridge, and her heart broke.  But for now, she'd stay back, until Speed noticed her and waved her over.

@Flip

"I told her I love her," he murmured, "last time I saw her."  And then the tears started, in earnest, and he reached for Speed, holding the man tightly.

Speed put his arms about the boy, drawing him in, letting cry. “It’s alright Weedy, you’re no alone. Yes, you lost your Ma, but there are a whole lot of folks that care about you. And there’s Miss Addy, she’s worried sick about you, so just know that you’re loved by lots of folks.”

It was not an easy thing for Speed to witness the boys pain, he’d had so much of his own, the loss of his parents, the men under his command, all of that death he had not only witnessed but participated in during war years. He patted Weedys back gently as he cried.

He looked up and caught sight of Addy waiting above, so he nodded for her to come on down.

@Bongo

At Speed's nod, Addy walked slowly over to them, then sat in the dirt beside them, putting an arm around the boy and just sitting silently with them until Weedy finally let go of Speed and gripped onto her.  Even then, there was no need for words, but just offered support until the sobbing finally stopped. 

"Ya wanna go home now?" she asked quietly, and Weedy nodded, wiping his eyes with his sleeve.  "All right, then."  She stood and offered the boy her hand, and he took that, and Speed's as well.

Slowly, they walked back toward town, and when they got to the barn that Addy called home, she turned to Speed.  "Reckon I'm gonna hafta look fer a proper place now."  After all, Weedy couldn't continue to live with her in the small room at the back of the barn.  "Thank ya fer th' help, Speed," she murmured, "we truly do appreciate it.  Will ya meet us fer supper at th' Lickskillet?"

Hopefully, in a few hours, Weedy would be recovered enough to give them some more definitive information on his family.

@Flip

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)
  • Liked your post, Pard! 1

Slowly, they walked back toward town, and when they got to the barn that Addy called home, she turned to Speed.  "Reckon I'm gonna hafta look fer a proper place now."  After all, Weedy couldn't continue to live with her in the small room at the back of the barn.  "Thank ya fer th' help, Speed," she murmured, "we truly do appreciate it.  Will ya meet us fer supper at th' Lickskillet?"

“Yes Ma’am, that sounds just fine to me.” Speed said accepting her offer. I understand there’s a small place, plenty big enough for two over on Third Street. Nice place saw it the other day as the Jackson’s found a place to farm on.”

Hopefully, in a few hours, Weedy would be recovered enough to give them some more definitive information on his family.

Speed looked to the boy knowing he’d be alright. Losing family was never easy, and there would be times when Weedy would let out some of that anger that would be inside. He’d need not just a strong hand, but an understanding one, and that would be Addy.

@Bongo

Supper @ The Lickskillet

It had been a long afternoon, and Addy was exhausted, although optimistic about Weedy's situation.  At least the boy had calmed down and they had had a chance to really talk about things.  Still, when it came to supper, he had decided to stay home, and Addy had promised to bring him some stew and pie.

She understood, and even though she had had a couple months to ponder this over, she felt at a loss, and was grateful for Speed's help, and she'd talk to Jay about it tomorrow, once she had a few more details.

Now, she was sitting at a table at the Lickskillet, waiting on Speed, muddling and fretting over all the possibilities.

@Flip

Supper @ The Lickskillet

She understood, and even though she had had a couple months to ponder this over, she felt at a loss, and was grateful for Speed's help, and she'd talk to Jay about it tomorrow, once she had a few more details.

Now, she was sitting at a table at the Lickskillet, waiting on Speed, muddling and fretting over all the possibilities.

Speed came thru the door of the Café where he spent most mornings ahead of he duties at the office and then at the Marshal’s office. His company was coming right along, growing slowly staff wise, but growing none the less.

This meeting with Addy was certainly not about anything but young Weedy and what if anything, was to become of him based on what they could do about it.

“Hello Addy, well, seems we need to come up with some sort of plan that doesn’t include your running off to Mexico.” He greeted. “How’s the boy doing?”

@Bongo

Addy grinned and nodded to Speed as he sat across from her.  "Nope, no Mexico...Canada, maybe!  Closer an' cooler!"  She shrugged and sighed.  "He's doin' as good as can be expected, I reckon.  At least he hasn't run off again, so that's somethin'."

Emeline came by and took their order, then she continued with what she had managed to find out.

"So, boy's real name is Porter James, we know that, an' his ma was Chloe James...just not sure if that was a maiden name or married, an' I don't know that he'd know...didn't ask."

Understandably, she didn't want the boy to think that his ma and pa hadn't been married.

"Says his pa's name was Daniel, his ma told him he was killed by Injuns...that was when he was 'little'."  She shrugged again.  Poor guy was little now, so there was no question that he didn't know details.

"Reckon maybe we can talk ta some'a th' folks from Whitefish, see if maybe someone remembers Weddy's ma bein' there?"  It might help to know what she was doing there when the storm hit.

@Flip

Addy grinned and nodded to Speed as he sat across from her.  "Nope, no Mexico...Canada, maybe!  Closer an' cooler!"  She shrugged and sighed.  "He's doin' as good as can be expected, I reckon.  At least he hasn't run off again, so that's somethin'."

“Yes, that is something. I know that the boy can feel lost, but I also know that you keep him grounded by that care you provide for him.” Speed said.

Emeline came by and took their order, then she continued with what she had managed to find out.

"So, boy's real name is Porter James, we know that, an' his ma was Chloe James...just not sure if that was a maiden name or married, an' I don't know that he'd know...didn't ask."

“Probably just as well.” Speed observed. “No need to add to what he’s dealing with already.”

Understandably, she didn't want the boy to think that his ma and pa hadn't been married.

"Says his pa's name was Daniel, his ma told him he was killed by Injuns...that was when he was 'little'."  She shrugged again.  Poor guy was little now, so there was no question that he didn't know details.

“Now that could be. Indians raid on and off, whether they’re on the warpath or not. They see an easy target, they’re just as likely to take it as not.” He observed, one never really knew what the red man was liable to do.

"Reckon maybe we can talk ta some'a th' folks from Whitefish, see if maybe someone remembers Weedy's ma bein' there?"  It might help to know what she was doing there when the storm hit.

“Maybe some might know of her being there and why. Would answer some questions, at least about her, it’s Daniel I’d like to find out about, if in fact there is, or was, a Daniel Porter.” He added, “worth a shot anyways.”

@Bongo

Addy took a breath and nodded.  "Didn't never wonder much 'bout th' specifics, just that this little waif come loiterin' 'round th' barn, needin' some food an' a kind word."  She smiled fondly.  "He's always been a good lad...that's one thing his Ma did right.  He kept comin' back, stayin' when he said his Ma was 'in a way'..."

Well, Speed could figure out the rest.  "Only met his ma a couple'a times, she was pretty much soused one time, but not so bad when she wasn't lost to th' likker."

Addy had even sent food and some salvaged clothing home with Weedy on occasion, even if she wanted to throttle the woman for the way she treated her son.

"So, reckon we can ask some'a th' older folks in town?  I'm not even sure that Weedy was born here.  Maybe look inta records?"  She wasn't sure if that would be the courthouse or maybe a church? 

"Problem in..." she looked Speed in the eye, "can't say as I want ta know."

@Flip

Addy took a breath and nodded.  "Didn't never wonder much 'bout th' specifics, just that this little waif come loiterin' 'round th' barn, needin' some food an' a kind word."  She smiled fondly.  "He's always been a good lad...that's one thing his Ma did right.  He kept comin' back, stayin' when he said his Ma was 'in a way'..."

“Yes, I’d have to agree, for the most part, he’s a good boy, not often involved in the pranks and such the other boys get themselves into. And yes, I’d agree about his raising, between the two of you, he’s been raise right.” He agreed.

Well, Speed could figure out the rest.  "Only met his ma a couple'a times, she was pretty much soused one time, but not so bad when she wasn't lost to th' likker."

“Drink has a way with some folks that it don’t have with most others. A dark possession of them, where drink is the only thing they seem to care about. I know that she most likely loved her boy, but the drink stole her away from all that was normal for a woman with a child.” He had seen it often on the streets of New York as well as in his travels across the country, most places having a town drunk.

Addy had even sent food and some salvaged clothing home with Weedy on occasion, even if she wanted to throttle the woman for the way she treated her son.

"So, reckon we can ask some'a th' older folks in town?  I'm not even sure that Weedy was born here.  Maybe look inta records?"  She wasn't sure if that would be the courthouse or maybe a church?

“I can look into it at the courthouse, it’s just upstairs from the office.” He offered, knowing the clerk would oblige him by searching the records. “I’d wager if such records were available in Whitefish, they were lost in the disaster, but yes, asking around with the survivors, some might know.”

"Problem in..." she looked Speed in the eye, "can't say as I want ta know."

“I’d have to agree with you, can’t say I’d want to know either. I do know the boy is safe and sound in your care.” Speed assured her. “And, finding a place for the two of you should be fairly easy. Be my pleasure to help look.”

@Bongo

"Good.'   Addy nodded, then grinned.  "I ain't got much by way'a readin' an' writin', as Weedy is quick ta point out!"  It was friendly banter they had now and then, and she countered that her not really being able to read was all the more reason he needed to learn!  'Reckon we gotta check."

The food and drinks were set on the table, Addy gave Emeline a nod, then looked back at Speed.  "Not in a great hurry ta move, 'though I can talk with Weedy on it.  Don't want too much changin'."

Sighing, she took a bite of stew, finding the hot food helping to settle her nerves.  "Gotta be close to th' stables," she commented, "gotta keep an eye on th' horses."  Well, and it was just convenient to be able to just walk out the door to work.  Still...

"Reckon he's gettin' older, an' since it's gonna be permanent, he should have his own room.  I got some savin's."

@Flip

“Well Addy, you get ready to make a move, and there’ll plenty of help to get it done.” Speed responded. “And I agree, the boy needs his own room, so we’ll need to locate a place, with two bedrooms, close to the stables. If you don’t mind some help with finding a place like that.”

It was a good move for both of them. It would allow them to almost start over, which might be a good move. And there were some vacant properties that he knew of. I fact, Lowell Parmeter and his brood increased in size by a set of twins, and the place suddenly got too small right fast, so there was that one and it was just a block from the stables. It was two bedrooms, a sitting room, and a kitchen. Might just be perfect.

@Bongo

Addy's nose wrinkled up -- she hated change, but she knew he was right -- then she nodded.  "Yer right.  I got change given ta me, an' I'm grateful ta be able ta help th' boy, an' ta do that, we'd need a proper home."

Didn't need to be big, just two bedrooms, besides the kitchen and common room.  "He'd be thrilled, I think, ta have his own place.  Might be th' first time he's had somethin' like that, I don't allow as he ever had a proper house with his Ma."  Yeah, she could get more comfortable with the idea looking at it from that angle, and honestly, it might be nice to have more than one room, and room to move around.  "I'd appreciate yer help on that.  Thank ya, Speed, this ain't been easy."

@Flip

Addy's nose wrinkled up -- she hated change, but she knew he was right -- then she nodded.  "Yer right.  I got change given ta me, an' I'm grateful ta be able ta help th' boy, an' ta do that, we'd need a proper home."

“Yep, a proper home’s all any of us needs, Addy.” He looked up from the spoon load of stew, “Sometimes that need changes, because things change.” H smiled ,and just before he took that spoonful he added, “Things changed.”

Didn't need to be big, just two bedrooms, besides the kitchen and common room.  "He'd be thrilled, I think, ta have his own place.  Might be th' first time he's had somethin' like that, I don't allow as he ever had a proper house with his Ma."  Yeah, she could get more comfortable with the idea looking at it from that angle, and honestly, it might be nice to have more than one room, and room to move around.  "I'd appreciate yer help on that.  Thank ya, Speed, this ain't been easy."

“I know it ain’t, things of that sort ain’t never easy, ‘course, now, that’s what they say about responsibility too, it ain’t easy.” He smiled at her across the table. “You make your runs, earn your pay, there’s folks in town well aware of what you’ve done for that boy, and finding you the right place, they’ll all help. Might outta eat up, we got work ahead of us both.”

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

"Right on that."  Addy nodded as she finished the last of her stew.  "Too late ta look inta any records, right?"  Certainly, the courthouse was closed, at least.  "Reckon we can check if any'a th' churches are open, see if there's somethin' in th' records?"  She really wasn't sure how they'd do that, since they didn't have any specific dates, she didn't even know Weedy's true age.

Emeline brought some stew and a couple slices of pie for Addy to take with her for Weedy, and after thanking her, Addy glanced at Speed.  "We'll drop this by th' barn, an' then...well, whatever ya suggest."

@Flip

“If, and that seems to be a mighty big if, Weedy was born here, then either the courthouse, or the church, would be the proper place to start. And, as you pointed out, the courthouse is closed let’s see what Pastor Evans might have to say. At least we stand a chance of seeing hm today.” Optimistic? Possibly, but what else would the sky pilot have to do between Sunday sermons?

Emeline brought some stew and a couple slices of pie for Addy to take with her for Weedy, and after thanking her, Addy glanced at Speed.  "We'll drop this by th' barn, an' then...well, whatever ya suggest."

“It’s off to see the Pastor and perhaps, finding out about Master Weedy today.” He scooted back his chair and began to rise, “Shall we?”

@Bongo

After dropping off the food for Weedy, who was sullen but at least still there, Addy and Speed headed for the church, and Addy pondered over what they knew, what they needed to know, what she needed to do, and was she evil for being glad that Weedy was now completely in her care and for earnestly hoping that no relatives were found?

She was silent, even a bit sullen as they walked, her head flooded with planning and whatnot of a sort that she'd never had to deal with before, and then she figured that she needed to talk to Weedy about details, since this involved his life, too...

As they entered the small sanctuary, she felt a sudden sense of calm as she was reminded that God was in charge, and this was in His hands.

@Flip

She was silent, even a bit sullen as they walked, her head flooded with planning and whatnot of a sort that she'd never had to deal with before, and then she figured that she needed to talk to Weedy about details, since this involved his life, too...

“Don’t look so down in the mouth, Addy. There’s no problem we can’t handle, honest. None.” Speed stated, noticing that she seemed bit sullen. “Maybe there’s a record here, and maybe not, no matter where we look, if there isn’t one, then we just naturally take the next step. Just like we’re doin’ here.”

As they entered the small sanctuary, she felt a sudden sense of calm as she was reminded that God was in charge, and this was in His hands.

Once inside, his hat removed, Speed looked about for Pastor Gideon Evans. “Pastor Evans?” He called out.

Tag @ whoever is playing him

OO😄 Since I've been doing most of Pastor Evans' posts, I guess it must me...

Pastor Evans stood up and looked to where the voice had come from.  He had been cleaning around the bottom of some of the pews where dust had accumulated near the legs.  Usually, Mrs. Finch cleaned the church but she was away visiting relatives in Helena, so it was either him or his wife.

Seeing that it was the Marshal, Gideon wiped his hands and walked over to the man.  Holding out his hand, he smiled, "Well, Marshal, what can I do for you on this fine evening?"

evans.jpg.2fc1086da28120b7aff931c2e297f56a.jpg

@Flip

• Thanks 1