Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• F. Falmer Browne was as impressed with Addy’s barn and selection of transportation impedimenta, including the draught animals who pulled the things as he was with Addy herself.   “Splendid! Splendid!” was all he could say as he peered about the place with a quick and intelligent eye. “A veritable Aladdin’s Cave!”   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   The slightly eccentric older gentleman approached the vehicle in question, hands clasped behind his back, head bent forward slightly, in a pose of complete and curious absorption – as if he was seeing, for the fist time, some fabulous beast of lore. He ducked down, quite lithely for his age, and came up again smiling broadly at Addy, a look of supreme satisfaction on his face at the condition of Miss Chappel’s springs.   “May I?” he asked, indicating that he would like to climb up onto the land ship.   Whilst happily bouncing there, he answered her question about the horses. “Yes, I would like you to take care of all the arrangements around horses, equipment, even hiring another hand if you think it meet, Miss Chappel. I leave all in your hands, no expense spared.”   He was clearly very pleased with the bounce on the wagon as well that of its driver.   “You know, I have many times observed you, reins in hand, piloting this very vehicle. If it is not too impertinent of me, may I ask from whence you obtained these skills, so unusual in an attractive young lady?” the old masher asked.  
    • "Yes, Miss Clara."  Grinning, Weedy handed her the bread.  She was at that awkward age for a boy, that she was too old to refer to by her given name, but really wasn't so old as to be a 'Ma'am'!   "Miz Addy sent some bread," he explained, holding out the package, then telling Clara what he'd told Wyatt.  "She got it from the Lickskillet, so she didn't cook it."  He grinned.  "She makes black bread!  And then the whole room smells burnt for a week!"  It was safe to say that, since she wasn't here!   @Wayfarer
    • As unorthodox as she was, Addy wasn't adverse to having her chair held, nor a door opened, and to that end she gave Mr. Browne a chance to open the saloon doors for her.  But the big doors to the front of the barn were something else, and she took it on herself to push one of the huge pair aside, flooding the open breezeway with light and eliciting eager nickers from the barn's occupants.   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   @Javia
    • "Marshal Guyer?  Of course."  Emeline smiled as she poured coffee.  "I guess that means you can have whatever you'd like."  While it didn't happen often, it wasn't unheard of that someone was sent over from the jail for a meal, and they usually took full advantage, ordering a steak and potatoes, then pie.  She didn't mind, she was always paid.   "Oh and say.....could I have  Little Miss Pigtails wait on me? I'd like ta talk to her?"   "Oh, I'm sorry, there's no one here by that name."  Emeline smiled sweetly, really wanting to pour hot coffee in the boy's lap!  "So, what can I get for you?"  Mister No Manners, she added silently in her head.   @Wayfarer  
    • She stopped, a rider was coming, it only took a moment to see that it was her Pa, she lowered the Henry. That was a normal reaction for her to begin to shoulder the weapon. A woman on her own should take no chances.   She was anxious to hear all about Kalispell and the people he had met while he was there. It would be like him to stock up on goods while he was there, unless there was a problem with his getting paid, which happened time to time. Though she was not one to wear anything fancy, she did like to know about what the women he saw were wearing. She had trained him to notice.   He came into the yard with the pack horse in tow, obviously with a load of groceries. He paused a moment, as he usually always did before dismounting.   "Dang McClellan, ain't near a s comfortable as it once was." He complained as he usually did. "Might have ta get me one of them modern high backs. Might make this old man feel a sight better."   "I'll believe it when I see it, Amos Conroy." She had heard that one before.   "Lotsa calico, seen lotsa calico, but did see a couple ladies in their finery, Not like we saw in Denver, but purty high-falutin just the same." He reported.   "Thanks Pa." She smiled as she spoke.   "Saved the best fer last. Never guess who I run onto in town." He waited, but she didn't take the bait. He led the horses to the corral where he tied them.  Alice began unpacking the supplies, each taking part of them and starting for the house. At what they call the Municipal Bulidin' sittin' in his office was the town Marshal." He paused, she glared at him. "Speed Guyer, badge an' all." Still she said nothing but went about what she was doing.  "You remember Captain Guyer?"   "Thought you'd like to know." He said to her silence.

Seeing that it was the Marshal, Gideon wiped his hands and walked over to the man.  Holding out his hand, he smiled, "Well, Marshal, what can I do for you on this fine evening?"

“Well Pastor, it’s a matter of what you can do for a young lad, Weedy. ‘Spose you know of him, name’s actually Porter James. Ma was Chloe James, now his pa, might well be Daniel Porter. We don’t know. What we’re looking for is any record of his birth. I get that right Addy?” He took the lead thinking it might be easier on her if he did.

@Bongo@JulieS

"Parson,"  Addy nodded to the man, explaining, "got a telegram Christmas Eve that Weddy's ma had been killed in Whitefish, all that trouble with th' blizzard an' whatnot.  Not sure why she was there, we hadn't seen her in near a week."  And sadly, that hadn't been alarming.  "I kinda didn't want ta tell th' boy durin' th' holiday, an' then things got put off an' all."

She honestly hadn't wanted to tell anyone, but she'd finally admitted that she had to, so she'd gone to the law...Speed.

"Just wanna do right by th' boy, so we're tryin' ta find anything on his folks.  He don't really know much, an' we're not even sure what true names are."  Then she added, "He's with me now, an' ya know there's several folks in town look after him, too."  He was never going to be wanting for needs nor guidance.

@Flip; @JulieS

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)

"Yes I know the boy.  He sometimes comes here to help my wife with some of the chores when I'm out visiting some of the congregation.  I also knew his mother but not well enough for her to tell me about her past, so I can offer you very little help there. I will take a look through the church's records to see if I can find anything about her or the boy."

Pastor Evans started to think over his dealings with Chloe.  Most of the time his wife, Jemima had dealt with the young woman, so they would have to talk to her.  All of sudden, he remembered something and his face lit up.  "There was one thing.  Back in August, Chloe came to me wanting to get her baptised or christened as some people put.  She had never bothered before but now she wanted to make sure her son had a name and a place in heaven.  I can't tell you why she wanted to do this and I never pressed her about it.   I remember it now as it was an odd request since Weedy is not a baby but nothing came of it and she never mentioned it again."

evans.jpg.fcaa7dfd22bad4180fcde9f238eb211c.jpg

@Flip @Bongo

Speed stood back just enough so that the Parson and Addy were having the direct conversation about young Weedy, and what his future might hold. but he did venture a question;

"Do you know if any of the records from the church in Whitefish were saved, as the building was spared."

@Bongo@JulieS

Addy nodded slowly, mulling over what Evans had said.  "His birthday's in August," Addy observed, a detail she'd forgotten, although that didn't explain why his mother wanted him christened.  Still, when things had settled down, she'd see to it that it was done.

Speed's suggestion about Whitefish's records sounded like it had merit, but it was a long-shot at best, that the records had survived, that they had been salvaged, and that there was anything to do with Weedy.

@JulieS; @Flip

Addy nodded slowly, mulling over what Evans had said.  "His birthday's in August," Addy observed, a detail she'd forgotten, although that didn't explain why his mother wanted him christened.  Still, when things had settled down, she'd see to it that it was done.

Having the birth date would be a huge help, at least when they got to the courthouse and their records, he was hopeful that something would turn up somewhere for Weedy. But the question remained, who was this undertaker, Silas Grimm, was and what his authority, if any, was in so far as Weedy was concerned. A  wire from him with those questions would answer those questions.

Speed's suggestion about Whitefish's records sounded like it had merit, but it was a long-shot at best, that the records had survived, that they had been salvaged, and that there was anything to do with Weedy.

@JulieS@Bongo

Pastor Evans took a little while to think about Speed's suggestion before answering, "Yes, there was a box of papers from the church.  I only received them a day or two ago.  There are only two elders from the Whitefish church left here and they decided to wait until the winter thaw to head back up there to collect what they could.  We were going to go through them all sometime next week but I can take a quick look now.  If you'll just wait a moment, I'll go and get them."

A few minutes later, he came back with a large crate.  "Thankfully, they were able to rescue a couple of the ledgers and record books but there are also a pile of papers that haven't been sorted through.  Unfortunately, Pastor Collins was not a very good recordkeeper.  It was a shame that he was killed in the tragedy."

After placing the box down on the floor, he sat down on a pew, "I think if we all pitched in together we might be able to sort this mess out and hopefully find something."

@Flip @Bongo

Pastor Evans took a little while to think about Speed's suggestion before answering, "Yes, there was a box of papers from the church.  I only received them a day or two ago.  There are only two elders from the Whitefish church left here and they decided to wait until the winter thaw to head back up there to collect what they could.  We were going to go through them all sometime next week but I can take a quick look now.  If you'll just wait a moment, I'll go and get them."

Speed looked at Addy and smiled, with a wink and a nod, “Thought maybe there was a chance, since the building itself was spared. Gotta be hard on those men, the loss of everything they had worked for, but then that’s true of all those folks, the good and the bad.”

A few minutes later, he came back with a large crate.  "Thankfully, they were able to rescue a couple of the ledgers and record books but there are also a pile of papers that haven't been sorted through.  Unfortunately, Pastor Collins was not a very good recordkeeper.  It was a shame that he was killed in the tragedy."

“Pastor, you should have let me carry that box.” Speed stated. “A sad thing, the loss of all those folks and their Shepard too. Mother Nature can be cruel when she’s a mind too.”

After placing the box down on the floor, he sat down on a pew, "I think if we all pitched in together we might be able to sort this mess out and hopefully find something."

“This looks like it’ll take a while, let me run to the office and leave a note, in case.” Speed said, “Be right back.” And out the door he went, headed to the office where, when he got there, he wrote a quick note and tacked it to the door.

It struck him then what his note said; “At the church with Addy Chappel.” He laughed at what some might think, pulling off his hat on his arrival.

@Bongo@JulieS

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Addy was certainly relieved that there were still some surviving records from Whitefish, but when Evans suggested they all help going through the papers her nose wrinkled up.  "Can't read, Parson, so I don't know as I'd be much help in that regard."  She shrugged.  "I do know my letters some, so I could maybe try an' find th' patterns yer lookin' for?"

Finding letter combinations would be slow for her, but she could do it, and she supposed that every little bit might help.  And she was most assuredly resolved now to learn to read proper, and not just 'saloon' and 'feed'!

@JulieS; @Flip

Pastor Evans nodded, "Maybe you should consider getting some lessons from Miss Bowen.  She's been teaching a few adults who are in the same position as you but I wouldn't leave it too long.  Considering the way the wind is blowing, she will probably soon be teaching some of the Lost Lake ranch hands to read and write."

He smiled.  Yes, it was more than likely he would have a few weddings to conduct before next winter but now was not the time to ruminate on such things.  Picking up the first wad of papers, he began to sort through them.  After a few minutes, he lifted his head, "Found nothing so far.  As I said Pastor Collins was a bad record keeper.  Hopefully the marshal will be back soon to help us."

@Flip @Bongo

As Speed re-entered the church he heard what Pastor Evans said regarding his former counterpart in Whitefish. “Didn’t mean to be so long. And the case may be, once we’re through all of this that there is no record there. If you don’t have one perhaps the town does over at the Municipal Building, upstairs. Or maybe, there just isn’t a record on the boy here.” He paused, “I wish that we had some notion, if not a written record of where Chloe was from before here. But then again, it might be the next piece of paper we turn over.”

He squatted down and took up a sheaf of papers and began going through them for any birth records, and hopefully, Weedys.

@Bongo@JulieS

"Only record fer me is in th' family Bible back home," Addy commented as she went slowly through the pile of papers she had, slowly looking for the combination of the first few letters, ones she was familiar with, considering she had the 'Ch' part in her own name.  So, chances were good that there were no records on the boy.

"Weedy's been badgerin' me ta learn ta read, so I reckon I'll look up Miss Bowen, can't hurt none."  Especially now that she was taking on the responsibility of a child, she needed to see to such things.

"Here, what about this?"  She pushed a piece of paper to Evans that had 'Chloe James' on it, that matched the letters the parson had written down for her, but there was another name as well, and a date, that she could read.  "Looks ta be just from last year?"  Not a birth certificate, then?

@JulieS; @Flip

Pastor Evans took the piece of paper from Addy and quickly perused it.  "No, it's not a birth certificate but a marriage licence."

Shaking his head, he continued, "It seems that Chloe had met a man in Whitefish and they were planning to get married.  There's no date on the licence and no signatures either.  Looks like the snowstorm in Whitefish happened before they could do anything about it."

He handed the sheet over to the marshal, "Well, this is a start.  There might be other papers and maybe something in the registry books but it will take some time to go through those."

@Flip @Bongo

"Only record fer me is in th' family Bible back home," Addy commented as she went slowly through the pile of papers she had, slowly looking for the combination of the first few letters, ones she was familiar with, considering she had the 'Ch' part in her own name.  So, chances were good that there were no records on the boy.

“The problem is, that is what most folks have for records. Having a birth certificate is something of a rarity, but a birth record in towns like Kalispell may not be.”  Speed said idly as he searched “What I mean to say is, written records really are a matter of the town. And that would certainly mean the church.” He chuckled at his near meaningless observation. “Havin’ any luck Addy?”

"Weedy's been badgerin' me ta learn ta read, so I reckon I'll look up Miss Bowen, can't hurt none."  Especially now that she was taking on the responsibility of a child, she needed to see to such things.

Speed knodded and was about lend some more encouragement when she spoke up.

"Here, what about this?"  She pushed a piece of paper to Evans that had 'Chloe James' on it, that matched the letters the parson had written down for her, but there was another name as well, and a date, that she could read.  "Looks ta be just from last year?"  Not a birth certificate, then?

Pastor Evans took the piece of paper from Addy and quickly perused it.  "No, it's not a birth certificate but a marriage licence."

Shaking his head, he continued, "It seems that Chloe had met a man in Whitefish and they were planning to get married.  There's no date on the licence and no signatures either.  Looks like the snowstorm in Whitefish happened before they could do anything about it."

He handed the sheet over to the marshal, "Well, this is a start.  There might be other papers and maybe something in the registry books but it will take some time to go through those."

Speed sort of squinted at the paper, not that he was trying to read it, just a facial expression as he wondered. “The man’s name? What is it? It’s a longshot but this man may be either Weedy’s father, or, he may know who was!” he paused taking the paper, “It is possible, that whoever is the man in question, he could be right here in Kalispell.” Or, of course he may well be a thousand miles away, or buried in what remained of Whitefish.

@Bongo@JulieS

• Like 1

Addy's nose wrinkled up, but then she nodded.  "Explains why she was gone fer some days before."  There was a flash of the thought that the woman had just planned to marry and stay in Whitefish, leaving Weedy behind so as not to burden a new relationship with a son.  But that thought vanished almost as soon as it formed...as negligent as Chloe had been as a mother, Addy was certain that she would never completely abandon her son.

"Reckon she was tryin' ta make a family fer her an' Weedy?  Finally doin' good fer her an' him?"  That seemed to make the most sense.  "Think we can contact that Mr Grimm man an' find out where th' man is at?"

@JulieS; @Flip

"Reckon she was tryin' ta make a family fer her an' Weedy?  Finally doin' good fer her an' him?"  That seemed to make the most sense.  "Think we can contact that Mr Grimm man an' find out where th' man is at?"

He listened to what Addy was saying and realized that one of the things he liked about her was that she sought the best in everyone, whether it was there or not. Chloe might not have been a shining example of motherhood, or even of womanhood, but Addy still wanted to believe the best of her, warranted or not.

Speed Guyer was no expert on women, and unbeknownst to him, he and Addy had the same thoughts about Chloe and this man in Whitefish, and that was the marriage did not include the boy. The difference being Speed believed it to be the truth, since it was obvious that Weedy knew nothing of the engagement, or the future plans of the couple.

“Yeah, who is he, and where is he?” Speed asked no one in particular, “And what is it he wants with Weedy, and why?” Questions with no answers for the time being.

@JulieS@Bongo

"Lemme see that again."  Frowning, Addy took the paper and peered at it closely, running her finger over the name of the intended groom.  "That say 'Wheeler'?  I know that from th' mercantile in Whitefish, I made deliveries an' pick-ups there, man owned it was Franklin Wheeler."

What he had to do with Chloe, she didn't know, but maybe they'd met at some point and were going to be married?  The frustrating thing was that they'd likely never the whole story.

@JulieS; @Flip

Pastor Evans sighed, "Well, at least it's a start.  You might be able find out more at The Courthouse.  I know that they did do a search in some of the other buildings that were left standing.  Scott Cory was in charge of that and he would have made sure that anything important would have been taken there."

Taking out his pocket watch, he noted the time before putting in back in his vest.  "It's getting late and I have to be up early tomorrow to take a trip to visit some of the families north of here. Now that the roads are passable, they're expecting me."

He looked at Addy and smiled, "I will keep sorting through all of this and I will let you know if I find anything else."

@Flip @Bongo

"Lemme see that again."  Frowning, Addy took the paper and peered at it closely, running her finger over the name of the intended groom.  "That say 'Wheeler'?  I know that from th' mercantile in Whitefish, I made deliveries an' pick-ups there, man owned it was Franklin Wheeler."

“Franklin Wheeler, eh? Now that could be the break we’re looking for, well maybe not about who Weedy’s pa might be, but why Chloe was in Whitefish.” Speed observed. “Seems odd that she’d be there, if she was being courted by this Wheeler and not have Weedy along. Just odd.” He didn’t want to take it any further, no need to draw a picture.

What he had to do with Chloe, she didn't know, but maybe they'd met at some point and were going to be married?  The frustrating thing was that they'd likely never the whole story.

Speed smiled, “But we keep digging, we could find the answer for Weedy’s pa, and maybe Chloe wasn’t lying about him being killed. Maybe that’s exactly what happened. Guess we best keep looking. Consider this Wheeler fella.”

Pastor Evans sighed, "Well, at least it's a start.  You might be able find out more at The Courthouse.  I know that they did do a search in some of the other buildings that were left standing.  Scott Cory was in charge of that and he would have made sure that anything important would have been taken there."

“Yes sir, that’s certainly an option I plan to look into, but just maybe, there’s no answer to be found here, or up Whitefish way. Might be Weedy was Born somewhere else and the records, well, they could be lost in all the moving around. I don’t know, but we’ve a start as you say Reverend.” Speed added, beginning to have some doubts but not enough to stop hunting for an answer, to either question.

Taking out his pocket watch, he noted the time before putting in back in his vest.  "It's getting late and I have to be up early tomorrow to take a trip to visit some of the families north of here. Now that the roads are passable, they're expecting me."

He looked at Addy and smiled, "I will keep sorting through all of this and I will let you know if I find anything else."

@Bongo@JulieS

"Thank ya, Reverend."  Addy nodded and smiled at Evans.  "At least gives us an idea.  Reckon she didn't want th' boy along so's ta get in th' way?"

Taking a breath, she headed out the door with Speed, commenting as they started down the steps, "I'll keep th' boy with me 'till we find somethin' different, I reckon."  At the bottom of the steps she stopped, hesitating a moment as she stared at the ground.  "Don't reckon we gotta look too hard fer any family," she muttered softly, then she looked up at Speed, "do we?"

After all, they'd tried, right?  How much was enough?  And it wasn't as if they had more places to look.  And it wasn't as if the boy didn't have family and wouldn't be looked after...

@Flip

"Thank ya, Reverend."  Addy nodded and smiled at Evans.  "At least gives us an idea.  Reckon she didn't want th' boy along so's ta get in th' way?"

“Yes, thanks Reverend, we’ll head over to the courthouse and see if there’s anything to learn there, and if so we’ll be sure and let you know.” Speed added. He was thinking that there might not be anything to be learned about the boys history. Not that there wasn’t one, just that there might not be any written record in Kalispell.

Taking a breath, she headed out the door with Speed, commenting as they started down the steps, "I'll keep th' boy with me 'till we find somethin' different, I reckon."  At the bottom of the steps she stopped, hesitating a moment as she stared at the ground.  "Don't reckon we gotta look too hard fer any family," she muttered softly, then she looked up at Speed, "do we?"

“You haven’t lost Weedy just yet, Addy. To my mind and a whole lot of others in town he’s more your than he was Chloe’s. Not to speak ill of the departed, but in all honesty the woman showed little to no concern for the boy, so, not to worry. The law is on your side.”

After all, they'd tried, right?  How much was enough?  And it wasn't as if they had more places to look.  And it wasn't as if the boy didn't have family and wouldn't be looked after.

Speed was thinking to himself that a ride north would be in order. Maybe, just maybe there was something there about the boys heritage. Maybe not, but worth investigating. And this Silas  Grimm, who was he? Where was he from, and what was his connection to Chloe and Weedy?

@Bongo@JulieS

"Thank ya, Speed."  Addy managed a little smile as she nodded.  He was right, most folks came to her anyway if they had a concern about Weedy, and there had never been any indication of other family that cared enough to seek out the well-being of the mother, much the less her son.

"I'll just do what I need for him fer now," she declared quietly, "make sure he knows he has a home.  I truly do appreciate all yer help, Speed.  Didn't never plan on bein' a Ma, but I guess that's what I been doin' an' I'll do what I can ta help th' boy...kinda taken a fondness to him.  Means I''ll hafta get some proper education fer myself, though, can't have th' boy bein' smarter'n me."

She sighed and shook her head.  "Kinda funny that I been doin' this pretty much all along, but now it's more official-like, it seems so dauntin'.  Just don't go lookin' too hard fer kin, all right?  'Course, there's always Mexico!"  She grinned widely.

@Flip

"Thank ya, Speed."  Addy managed a little smile as she nodded.  He was right, most folks came to her anyway if they had a concern about Weedy, and there had never been any indication of other family that cared enough to seek out the well-being of the mother, much the less her son.

“Nothing to thank me for, that boys a member of this community after all.” Speed responded. “He needs looking out for, besides being looked after. So let’s just say we’re all doing our part.”

"I'll just do what I need for him fer now," she declared quietly, "make sure he knows he has a home.  I truly do appreciate all yer help, Speed.  Didn't never plan on bein' a Ma, but I guess that's what I been doin' an' I'll do what I can ta help th' boy...kinda taken a fondness to him.  Means I''ll hafta get some proper education fer myself, though, can't have th' boy bein' smarter'n me."

She sighed and shook her head.  "Kinda funny that I been doin' this pretty much all along, but now it's more official-like, it seems so dauntin'.  Just don't go lookin' too hard fer kin, all right?  'Course, there's always Mexico!"  She grinned widely.

“Well there is alla that to be considered, and education is always a good thing, no matter the age when we seek it.” Speed agreed, then he laughed, “Mexico? There’s no need to even consider Mexico. That boy is safe here. No undertaker is going to take him, not while I’m the law here, and I don’t see me being challenged any time soon. Well, that might be a brag I can’t back up. But, no one is coming in ere to take one of our citizens anywhere.”

@Bongo

Addy took a breath, then nodded.  "Yer right, th' folks in this town'er mostly good, an' I know I'll get any help I need.  Reckon I can just take things as they come."

She was facing a huge change in her life, although it really wasn't that different than what she'd already been doing, but knowing that she had help to turn to eased some of the worry. 

"Actually might make things easier, since I know he's gonna always be my charge, won't be goin' ta his Ma's..."  Provided that was where the boy would run off to on the nights he didn't stay with her.  "Give him some constant in his life, too.  Just hope I can do right by him...never did think on havin' children."

@Flip

get any help I need.  Reckon I can just take things as they come."

Not going to be much different that what you’ve been doing all along, Addy. One thing will be though, no worries about where he’s at, that’s for sure.”

She was facing a huge change in her life, although it really wasn't that different than what she'd already been doing, but knowing that she had help to turn to eased some of the worry.

"Actually might make things easier, since I know he's gonna always be my charge, won't be goin' ta his Ma's..."  Provided that was where the boy would run off to on the nights he didn't stay with her.  "Give him some constant in his life, too.  Just hope I can do right by him...never did think on havin' children."

“I reckon there’s a reason you ended up with the boy, can’t say as it it’s not a good one.” Speed added, “And the two of you get along like it was meant to be. No outside interference, like you say. No double standard for the boy, and that’s important, as important as anything right now. The two of you’ll do just fine. And I do intend to see if I can’t find out about this Silas Grimm of Helena. Something just isn’t right.”

---

@Bongo