Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Oh, well certainly. If you would rather talk there. Anyplace is fine with us," Clara would have agreed to discuss it even if he had suggested the middle of a river. She just wanted to get it done!   The four of them shuffled back to the rear of the church and through the little-used back door, into the main part of the building where the pews were neatly rowed and the pulpit stood empty at the far end.   The man then offered, "I could fix something to drink? Tea perhaps?"    "No thank you, we do not wish you to have to make a fuss on our account," she gently shook her head in the negative.   “Ooh, It’s no fuss Clara! I’ll fix that, Brother.” Arabella gushed obsequiously “You three will want to talk privately.”   She would also, perhaps a little too optimistically at this point, fetch out a blank marriage certificate, for she knew where Pastor Evans stored them. In fact, she’d had a good root through most of the drawers and cupboards in his little office, off the vestry, and found some amazing and interesting stuff. Her favourites were a collection of pictures in a little book which, she assumed, the good Pastor must have confiscated off some sinful parishioner in the past.   @boshmi @Wayfarer
    • "All right, if this has anything to do with getting rid of ol' Klutz, then I'll do it," he said in a slightly slurred tone.  The whiskey was now starting to affect his speech, "Clara's gotta see that I'm the better man."   Crabbe nodded. He wasn’t exactly sure what he was hoping to get out of this situation, but he had made a living, the last six years of his life, by exploiting other men’s passions, and this young feller had passion in spades. Lorenzo recognised it for the sort of dangerous, jealous, twisted, brooding passion that so often haunts the hearts of men where women are concerned, and knew it would have to be handled with kid gloves to benefit himself any.   “Problem is, he’s ensorcelled her with these here love poems.” Lorenzo slyly took up a theme that Charlie himself had mentioned. “You attack him, she’ll just cleave tighter to the stupid lookin’ bastard.” He’d never seen this Klutz feller, but it didn’t harm to insult him in Charlie’s presence.   “We gotta work on her.” He said, thinking fast. “First of all, we gotta make you a more attractive proposition, er, make her kinda jealous of you, see? Make ol' Clara see you in a better light. Hmmm, you know any girls? I mean, not like Arabella, pretty girls.”   @JulieS
    • "Well." Thomas declared, sitting upwards in his chair. "I wonder what Arabella has gotten up to. I do hope I haven't complicated anything by bringing her along. Your wife seemed... er... unenthusiastic about her presence."   As if on cue, there was a crashing noise from the distant kitchen and Arabella’s voice sounded an “Ooops!”, but nonetheless, the two women presently appeared, carrying coffee and cake.   “Now, how are you two boys getting along?” asked Arabella, as if Thomas and Gideon were two five-year olds on their first playdate. Mrs Evans attended to the domestic stuff while Arabella jumped up and down, plexing her fingertips together with excitement.   “What do you want me to play on the harmonium, fellers?!” she asked excitedly, just hoping it wasn’t that well-known mondegreen “Bringing in the Sheep” which required notes that the poor old instrument could no longer sound. Arabella always had to substitute other notes in the same chord which made her playing sound like she’d invented jazz forty years too early.   @JulieS @boshmi
    • "That goes both ways, Barnabas," Emeline countered, "I finally found something good, and I don't want to lose it."  Although it dawned on her that if he was distracted worrying about her, that put him at more risk.   "I didn't count on the man that I fell in love with becoming a deputy, and I don't know how to reconcile that, except that I know that anything can happen to anyone at any time, and there is no way to predict that or stop it."   Of course, law enforcement put a man at higher risk, but she wasn't a widow because of that.   "I'll try to use discretion, that is the most I can promise."  He'd have to accept that as much as she accepted his choice of professions.   @Flip
    • "Well, so long as he's ridin' a white horse, I reckon there could be some quarter given."  Addy shrugged, thinking that armor would be cumbersome anyway, and that she wouldn't want to be burdened by something that made it hard to function.   "Glad that armor ain't somethin' they wear anymore, although I'd truly appreciate seein' a man in it...an' a horse, too.  Can't imagine how a horse can move in all that metal."   Her smile was a bit wistful as she added, "There's times I wonder if I wasn't born in th' wrong time an' th' wrong britches."
Matt Wentworth

Some Things are Never Easy

"Weren't me that made a fool of ya," Addy muttered as she watched the child stomp away.  She certainly hadn't intended to ruin the girl's recital, but then, that was also on Arabella...Addy had encouraged her to go back and do her act, but she'd stormed off instead...and she was going to have to learn to take on some responsibilities one day.  In the mean time, of course Addy wasn't worried about the threats...they were just frustrated rants.

Sighing, Addy shook her head and went back to the meeting, this time taking a seat at the back of the room.

• Liked your post, Pard! 1

Matt was at the reception desk when he saw Addy hauling Arabella outside.  He had heard all of the hullabaloo coming from the room where the ladies were having their meeting but it had died down as quickly as it had started.  Deciding that there was no need to go in but a need to be around just in case, he watched Addy and Arabella out on the front porch of the hotel.

After a few minutes, Arabella came huffing back in and Addy not following long after.  Addy seemed to be the more calmer of the two.  With all that had just transpired, maybe it was best to watch proceedings after all.

Standing at the entrance of the room he acknowledged the others standing there before scanning the room.  He could see that Addy had taken a seat in the back not too far from Sarah, who had arrived late.  A smile formed on his face as he watched her briefly and then he continued on his appraisal of the room.  Leah was at the front answering questions, and doing the best she could despite the circumstances of a partially hostile crowd.

@Flip @Javia @Bongo

“Ladies! Ladies please!” Leah shouted. “I would expect this from the bar room crowd, but not the ladies of Kalispell. Do you even know what you’re haranguing one another about? Is it someone’s idea that a hospital is as bad a thing as the cribs on the back streets of this town?” He eyes were ablaze. “I came her today to share a dream with you, a dream that is nearly a reality!

“The men worry that taxes will be necessary for this structure when nothing could be further from the truth. The men worry that a hospital will need to be subsidized by their profits, again ladies, fallacy! In time when the demands n the hospital will be much greater, because the population will be much larger, then, there may be cause for the concern of the profit minded.”

“I have with me a rendering of what the hospital will look like. Only a drawing but a vision of what will stand in this town, IF, if it is built. If you and your families have it available for your use when you need it. And let me tell you this, the right of ways for the coming railroad, are you aware of how those would have been paid for? By the railroad, yes, and who would have gained? Why whoever owned the land required.”

“Do the men of this town understand what having the only hospital in this part of Montana will mean to the community of Kalispell, or, are they worried their names will not appear as those who created it, whenever they decide to do it? Now, please ladies, have a look and feel free to ask more questions, should you have any.”

image.jpeg.9364ebae22cef489f33d9950ba988dee.jpeg

@Bongo@JulieS@Javia@Any

[Sorry, this turned into a novella - scroll to the bottom for the short version!]

“I have with me a rendering of what the hospital will look like. Only a drawing but a vision of what will stand in this town, IF, if it is built. If you and your families have it available for your use when you need it. And let me tell you this, the right of ways for the coming railroad, are you aware of how those would have been paid for? By the railroad, yes, and who would have gained? Why whoever owned the land required.”

Things were getting tumultuous again. Some did ask try and ask reasonable questions, but were drowned out the more numerous raucous element, like Nellie Miggins, who were just seizing upon anything the slim young brunette said they could bend to conjure up anti Steelgrave, or more pertinently, anti-Leah sentiment.

“Did ya hear that? Comparing us to Saloon Folk, like that piece of Southern white-trash that Adelaide Chappell just had to drag out of here?!” Miggins yelled. At other times she pretended to completely misunderstand what the philanthropist had said or proposed, even making out that she had said the opposite.

“Do the men of this town understand what having the only hospital in this part of Montana will mean to the community of Kalispell, or, are they worried their names will not appear as those who created it, whenever they decide to do it? Now, please ladies, have a look and feel free to ask more questions, should you have any.”

“Our menfolk don’t want to see their name on this tax-draining hospital!” screeched the harpy Miggins, “We’re all just sick of seeing and hearing the Steelgrave name! ‘Sides, everyone knows that Hospitals are centers of filth and disease! You want a LEPER COLONY in the middle of town?!” she challenged them.

Had she been born a man, she would have made a great politician.

However, amongst this tumult, a conscience was awakening that through lack of opportunity of use, had lain dormant for seventeen years – waiting, like the caterpillar in its chrysalis, to emerge in all its butterfly beauty. As the torn-up paper scraps of Arabella’s poem fell onto the floor, one wafted onto a dainty boot tip in the row behind, a girl stooped in her seat and picked it up. On the paper there appeared some badly, painfully transcribed pencilled letters that made out but one single, surviving word.

Miss Orr rose from the second row of the Extraordinary Meeting of the Kalispell Ladies’ Society of the 27th April 1876, and walked … no … Miss Orr never walked, she glided to the front of the room where Miss Leah Steelgrave stood imploring the bacchanalian mob of finely attired, but savage minded women.

She turned, scared but resolute, and faced the mob at Leah's side.

“I am sad…” she faltered, but glancing at the brave Miss Steelgrave, and feeding from her strength, tried again louder. “I AM SAD!!!!” she yelled, which seemed to at least gain her some attention, but for how long?

“I am sad to have come here, not yet eighteen years of age, to learn how ladies of breeding and intelligence comport themselves in the furtherance of charity, the improvement of our community, and the ideals of Christianity!” she bellowed at them.

“Instead…” she snatched up the empty glass of punch and took a sniff, pulling a disgusted face “… I find drunkenness! Hate! And Party!” by which she meant, of course, local politicking. The drunkenness part got a few of the women examining their own half empty glasses.

“I find the voice of hopeful, optimistic youth silenced!” she declared in heartfelt tones, holding up the tattered scrap of Arabella’s poem. “And the spiteful wrath of disappointed and hate-filled old age holding sway!” She looked at Granny Miggins at this juncture, and a few eyes turned to Addy Chappell in the corner, half expecting her to drag this brat out as well.

“Will none of you ladies, whom I know to be good and Christian souls, at least show me an example. An example of forbearance to old enemies in pursuit of charity and succour to the poor, sick and suffering, just as He did who was sent to save us all?” her big blue eyes were filling with glittering tears now. “Will not you come and at least examine Miss Leah’s plans? Will not you, Mrs Wigfall, who have already helped so many? Will not you Miss Jennings? Will not … this fair stranger, with intelligence and kindness in her eyes?”

This last was addressed to Sarah Thornton-Carlton, whom she did not know, but who had earlier asked an erudite and fair question.

@JulieS@Flip@Bongo@Any

Short Version: Anaesthesia Orr makes an impassioned speech encouraging everyone to at least look at Leah's plans.

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Love 1

It took a lot of willpower on Sarah's part not to frown or roll her eyes at the young lady who was now standing up in front.  She had seen a lot of women like her back in San Francisco who put on indignant airs and it was something that didn't impress her.  While it was the true, that the young lady had a point, as far as Sarah was concerned there was no need to be so dramatic or be put out about what had just occurred.

The issue of Leah Steelgrave running a project to build a hospital and orphanage was a contentious one and there was always going to be the possibility of some sort of conflict but she hadn't expected it to be from her own innocent question.  If Leah Steelgrave was insisting that her family name wasn't going to be associated with the project then it was logical that she would have to step aside to make it more plausible and more importantly for others to believe that she was not her father's daughter.

“Will none of you ladies, whom I know to be good and Christian souls, at least show me an example. An example of forbearance to old enemies in pursuit of charity and succour to the poor, sick and suffering, just as He did who was sent to save us all?” her big blue eyes were filling with glittering tears now. “Will not you come and at least examine Miss Leah’s plans? Will not you, Mrs Wigfall, who have already helped so many? Will not you Miss Jennings? Will not … this fair stranger, with intelligence and kindness in her eyes?”

Directing her attention back to the young lady who was now addressing her, she took a deep breath, "Yes, I agree with your summation that Miss Steelgrave's plans should be looked at in great detail before a decision is made.  I am sure the town council is doing just that and I hope we all have the good sense to know that those men will endeavour to make sure that they have all the information they need to do so.  Hence my question, which unfortunately now seems to have become an opportunity for certain ladies who are currently in the audience to disrupt this meeting."

@Javia @Flip

Leah was all but stunned by the young lady's eloquence, followed by that of Missus Thornton-Carlton, neither of the ladies were personally known to her, still, she appreciated their common sense approach to what was happening, as well as  what appeared to be support for the hospital plan.

Though it seemed to her that her name, not the project per se was at the crux of the objections. Yet, for that there was also a plan of action she could and would take. First, to preserve the grants, which were vital, and secondly to stop the anti-Steelgrave assault on the projects. She could see that being her fathers daughter was having an ill effect on the project tho she would stand at the forefront  as long as it served a purpose.

The Town Council would never let the project go forward with their prejudice where the Steelgrave name was included. That would be far and away too much to overcome.

@Javia@JulieS

Addy was relieved that there were plenty of ladies supporting Miss Leah, not only was the plan for a regional hospital a good idea, but Leah was trying to do something to benefit the community, regardless of her own family.  Knowing all too well what it was like to be judged by things that didn't matter, Addy was glad that Leah was getting some positive feedback...and certainly, the questions being asked now had merit, showing that the supporters weren't just sycophants.

The plans were laid out and Addy started moving up with the other occupants in the room when she noticed the 'Bear' wending his way toward her.  Well, or maybe she was just being paranoid, but he had said that he wanted to talk to her, and the only thing she could think of that might interest the Bear was Weedy.

Oh, sure, she did own the freight business, and was the local representative of the Millegan Stage Company, but she couldn't take that risk, and promptly turned heel and headed for the street.

@Javia

[Addy Chappel & Falmer Browne]

The bell boy at the Regis Hotel watched with mild interest as the well known local bear killer, Addy Chappel, half walked-half ran through the lobby toward the outside door, closely followed by the lumbering figure of a man in a bear skin who was calling to her in muffled but well spoken tones “Miss Chappel! Miss Chappel! One moment please!” She was easily outpacing the ursine impersonater who, seeing that he was fighting a losing battle, veered to the lad with a plaintive cry of “My head, boy, pull off my head!!”

Smelling a tip in the air, although where such a creature kept its pocketbook was quite a mystery to him, the bell boy sprang forward and grabbed the creature’s ears as it bent forward and simultaneously tucked its right paw under its left arm and pulled forth a human hand. Within a trice, the bear looked like a member of the genus homo sapiens again, a handsome and dignified specimen at that, in late middle age and with an air of intelligence around his sparkling and genial eyes. However, he still possessed a bearlike gait as he sprang to the hotel door and shouted at Addy’s rapidly retreating back “Miss Chappel, please! I have a business proposition for you. Spare me but a few minutes of your precious time, I beg you!”

@Bongo

[Sarah, Leah, Anaesthesia]

Directing her attention back to the young lady who was now addressing her, she took a deep breath, "Yes, I agree with your summation that Miss Steelgrave's plans should be looked at in great detail before a decision is made.”

“I am gratified that such an eloquent voice is joined with mine” smiled Anaesthesia, but Sarah’s initial sally was merely a feint. There was an almost inevitable ‘however’:

“I am sure the town council is doing just that and I hope we all have the good sense to know that those men will endeavour to make sure that they have all the information they need to do so.  Hence my question, which unfortunately now seems to have become an opportunity for certain ladies who are currently in the audience to disrupt this meeting."

Miss Orr might not have been a young woman of supernatural intelligence, but she possessed an undeniable advantage over many of her more cerebral peers, she listened. She smiled again, lighting up that angelic face, and held out an innocent white lace gloved hand to the older and wiser woman sitting on the front row of seats. “Then please, most respected Madame, will you not join me in asking her? I am young and silly and know so little of the world, but I do know that I must learn. For although our affairs may be so often in the hands of men, are not we, their wives, daughters, mothers and sisters, most often in the position to influence them so very strongly for what is good and right?”

Big blue honest eyes searched the shrewder brown gaze of the worldly wise writer from the civilised West Coast, who needs must either grasp that plaintiff offered hand or overtly reject it.

@JulieS @Flip

Well, she'd given it a good go, but Addy couldn't ditch the man , and unfortunately she wasn't wearing her pistol, since she was attending a meeting and not going out on the trail.  Of course, she supposed, it would be rather blatant and risky to just shoot the man on the street, so, she figured, it was better anyway to lure him into the barn, where one of the huge draft horses could 'panic' and trample him to death...

Such dark thoughts!  Addy shook her head, but then, she'd do whatever she had to to protect Weedy.

Turning to face the man, her nose wrinkled up.  He had the look of a lawyer about him...one that had been eaten by a bear and was fighting to get out!

"Yeah?  Whacha want?"

@Javia

Turning to face the man, her nose wrinkled up.  He had the look of a lawyer about him...one that had been eaten by a bear and was fighting to get out!

"Yeah?  Whacha want?"

The man-bear jumped back in alarm but, recovering himself, then gave a polite little bow.

“My apologies, Miss Chappel, if my appearance alarmed you, I had supposed that you, of all people, would not be alarmed by my unconventional garb … it is just, the young lady whom you escorted from the building, our absent poetess, had informed me that this occasion was to be a ‘fancy dress party’ and I must confide, I am most exceeding partial to ‘fancy dress parties’.”

He realised that he was straying far from the point and tried again.

“F. Falmer Browne, at your service, Miss Chappel” he tried the bow again “I believe that we are new neighbors. My card…” he went to fetch out his carte de visite from his vest pocket, but found a layer of dead bear in the way. “Oh, I shall ‘pop’ my card around later. Ahem! It is also my intention to avail myself of your very particular services at some time in the very near future, Miss Chappel. Perhaps we can arrange a time to meet and ‘talk it through’ at your convenience, of course.” He proffered.

“Then please, most respected Madame, will you not join me in asking her? I am young and silly and know so little of the world, but I do know that I must learn. For although our affairs may be so often in the hands of men, are not we, their wives, daughters, mothers and sisters, most often in the position to influence them so very strongly for what is good and right?”

"Ladies please, I realize that what I have to say in my own defense of this project may seem to you as if Elias Steelgrave has a hand in this. Perhaps I must be more forthright with you." She began, " Elias Steelgrave, the man who reared me, who trained me in his style of business which is to be ruthless, to take advantage, to exploit any weakness. But that is not who I am, now how I conduct business. " She paused a moment,

"This young lady does not know me, nor has she had time to form the prejudices that accompany the Steelgrave name. I thank her for her kind words. And thus I say to you, one and all, I did not have to present the right of ways to Judge Ben Robertson. They were given to the town of Kalispell, not to one man, not to the Town Council, but to the citizens of Kalispell, and that ladies is how the this Steelgrave conducts business! Elias Steelgrave will have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with this project in any way shape or form, so help me God."

@JulieS@Javia

Before Sarah could respond to the young lady, Leah spoke again.  As she listened, Sarah began to sympathise with Miss Steelgrave.  The woman was putting up a good fight despite the opposition.  If she was given a chance to prove that she meant what she was saying, she might be able to get something done.

As to what Leah Steelgrave could do in the short period of time there was before the town council meeting was a conundrum.  Maybe a solution could be found by talking to Leah after the meeting was over.  She wanted to help Leah but what would her family and the town think.  The Thorntons and the Steelgraves were supposed to be enemies but this could be an opportunity to prove that not all of the Thorntons had the Steelgraves and vice versa.

Sarah smiled reassuringly at Leah before taking her seat again and waiting to see what would happen next.

@Flip @Javia

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Anaesthesia beamed her sweet, innocent, angelic smile at both Miss Steelgrave and Mrs Thornton-Carlton who, though she had not said so out loud, seemed at least to be a little more sympathetic to Leah’s plans. A few other ladies, too, had stood up and were examining the plans themselves, though many others still sat in stubborn disgruntlement.

To Leah herself, Anaesthesia gave a little curtsey.

“My Father, Mr. Orr, has some little influence with the Council, I shall exert all my efforts to persuade him of the excellence of your plan, Miss Stelgrave.” She declared. Not that much effort would need to be exerted, Anaesthesia had her father wrapped around her little finger.

Then the somewhat worse-for-wear Lady Chairman banged her gavel and staggered to her feet.

“Miss Steelgrave, you may be seated!” she declared, there was a chair facing the audience next to the Chairwoman and Secretary for her to sit down on. “Ahem. We were to now have a poem called “The Man what had a fight with a monkey” but I’m afraid that our poetess seems to have been dragged kicking and screaming from the room! Perhaps, I might recite the…”

But her words were cut off by a now inspired Anaesthesia who, gripping that one tattered remnant of Arabella’s couplets to her heart with both hands, cried:

“Have no fear Madame Chairman, I shall extemporise some lines, in honor of Miss Steelgrave’s plan!”

Horrified, the lady tried to stop her, but too late. Hands still on her heart, eyes turned heavenward, out came tumbling these lines:

“Soft what voice from yonder hospice wakes

A poor little baby who has the shakes

A woman with spots, a man with dropsy

A child with a boil that grows like topsy

All raise their voices to God on high

Thank Miss Steelgrave, that we didn’t die!”

It was later widely reported that, somehow, this terrible poem actually started the horrific cat fight that then broke out in the ranks of the inebriated Kalispell Ladies Society extraordinary meeting. Mrs Orr, proud of her daughters effort, blacked the eye of a critic who pointed out the complete want of talent exposed in the verses.

As the fight became general, Anaesthesia, unaware that Leah actually had burly bodyguards there, snatched up the gavel from the desk and leapt in front of her, and lifting the tiny weapon high into the air shouted “Have no fear Miss Steelgrave, I shall protect you with my life from this unruly mob!”

@Flip @JulieS

[OOC: Sorry, I got a bit carried away!]

• Love 1

As the scene dissolved into chaos, yet again, Leah was exasperated by the display. She had come to share her plans for the hospital, and found costumed characters, spiked punch and now a brawl. Yet she had to smile at the young Miss Orr who bravely shouted, “Have no fear Miss Steelgrave, I shall protect you with my life from this unruly mob!” 

That might have been the only smile she could offer. He anger rose and then subsided. This was not the meeting she had seen on other occasions, no, far from it. This was the work of an individual to upend the affair, and whomever it was, the plan was succeeding splendidly.

At that moment, in the hotel foyer Doc Boone stepped quickly to the desk as three of Leah's men came through the door ready for whatever was happening, well, almost. Boone spoke loudly over the noise from the other room, "Wentwoth! Do something about these women before your place is wrecked!"

Leah, seeing her men, simply held up her had, this was not their affair, though she appreciated their presence on her behalf, but a cat fight would not be anything they would want to take part in. She, despondent as she felt, hoped that she had made her case with the women who were still clear headed. She hoped that once sober others would rally to the cause as it was not just her cause, it was theirs.

large.994975722_DocBoone-1.jpg.47e2b3df900aa71073a7c5e2f3927aeb.jpg

@JulieS@Javia

• Like 1

"Wentworth! Do something about these women before your place is wrecked!"

Contrary to what Doc Boone was thinking, Matt was already doing something about the melee that had broken out in his hotel.  He had sent Simpson to get O'Malley the cook to help out and both men were now in the middle of the room trying to break up the crowd.  O'Malley had already carted a couple of women out and was now picking up another one.  Poor Walter was doing his best to stop two elderly matrons by shouting at them and reminding them that were ladies.

As for his part, he was just about to go back in and thinking of what he could do to stop the fighting as soon as possible.  He looked over to where Sarah was standing, only to see her scribbling something down in the notebook she always carried with her.  Shaking his head, he smiled as this incidence would no doubt make it into a lot of newspapers and ladies journals.

Seeing that the ladies weren't going to stop any time soon, Matt decided it was time to end this.  Going over to the reception desk, he pulled out a pistol.  Firing once or twice over the ladies heads might gain their attention more quickly than anything else they were trying.  There would be probably a hole or two to mend but that would be a small amount compared to the damage that would be done if this kept going.

After manoeuvering his way to the stage, he fired once, which caught the attention of some of the ladies.  A second shot ensured that he had all of their attention.  "Ladies, I declare this meeting to be over.  Now if you will kindly...and orderly make your way out, it will greatly be appreciated."

@Flip @Javia

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Posted (edited)

The Hotel Bell Boy, not wanting to miss out, ran into the mêlée too. His actions were not entirely altruistic: he picked the prettiest girl he could see to try and carry out, and the most obvious one of those was the golden haired, white frocked Miss Anaesthesia Orr, standing at the front of the large room, brandishing a gavel. Being a couple of inches shorter than she, it was with some effort that he rushed her from behind and grasping his hands around to any parts he could get a grip on, lifted her from the ground with a grunt.

On feeling this midget strongman lift her so, she gave a rather breathless and excited “Oh!” and kicked her little white boots in the air, whist keeping a tight grip on her gavel.

Both of them looked a little disappointed when Mr Wentworth’s gunplay brough the whole fracas to an end, and he lowered her back to the carpet. Not sure what to say in such a circumstance, the bell boy went with his usual “Will that be all, Miss?” and she, on a reflex, managed to find a copper or two which she placed in his hand with pink cheeked and slightly panting “Something for your trouble, boy.”

She then moved to Miss Steelgrave’s side.

“Oh, the nerve of that beastly boy, putting his sticky hands all over me!” she puffed indignantly, yet somehow looking as pleased as punch about the whole affair. She gazed benignly, perhaps a little sadly, at Leah.

“I am sorry that this did not go as planned, I am afraid that my attempts to help only made things worse.” She said, fishing for compliments.

Then something caught her eye and she nodded to Leah: the mysterious woman on the front row was scribbling furiously in a notebook. Outraged, Anaesthesia stomped right up to Sarah for the second time today.

“Madame, I hope you will permit me to ask a question, for I have ever dealt with you with the utmost candor! … Are you ... spying upon us?!” she asked, in no uncertain terms.

@Flip @JulieS

Posted (edited)

The Hotel Bell Boy, not wanting to miss out, ran into the mêlée too. His actions were not entirely altruistic: he picked the prettiest girl he could see to try and carry out, and the most obvious one of those was the golden haired, white frocked Miss Anaesthesia Orr, standing at the front of the large room, brandishing a gavel. Being a couple of inches shorter than she, it was with some effort that he rushed her from behind and grasping his hands around to any parts he could get a grip on, lifted her from the ground with a grunt.

On feeling this midget strongman lift her so, she gave a rather breathless and excited “Oh!” and kicked her little white boots in the air, whist keeping a tight grip on her gavel.

Both of them looked a little disappointed when Mr Wentworth’s gunplay brough the whole fracas to an end, and he lowered her back to the carpet. Not sure what to say in such a circumstance, the bell boy went with his usual “Will that be all, Miss?” and she, on a reflex, managed to find a copper or two which she placed in his hand with pink cheeked and slightly panting “Something for your trouble, boy.”

She then moved to Miss Steelgrave’s side.

“Oh, the nerve of that beastly boy, putting his sticky hands all over me!” she puffed indignantly, yet somehow looking as pleased as punch about the whole affair. She gazed benignly, perhaps a little sadly, at Leah.

Leah couldn’t help but smile, which quickly dissolved when Anaesthesia looked to her. Boys will be boys, whether right or wrong, and she remembered the first time she was touched in just such a manner. So she understood.

“I am sorry that this did not go as planned, I am afraid that my attempts to help only made things worse.” She said, fishing for compliments.

“I doubt the punch was a good idea, but whatever damage is done, hopefully your kind words were heard, and will be remembered by those who had imbibed of the punch.” Leah offered. “ I truly appreciate your coming to my aide, very well spoken, Anaesthesia, very gratifying indeed. We should have ea sometime soon.” It was then she saw Jonah coming through the crowd, and she smiled.

Then something caught her eye and she nodded to Leah: the mysterious woman on the front row was scribbling furiously in a notebook. Outraged, Anaesthesia stomped right up to Sarah for the second time today.

“Madame, I hope you will permit me to ask a question, for I have ever dealt with you with the utmost candor! … Are you ... spying upon us?!” she asked, in no uncertain terms.

@Bongo@JulieS@Javia

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Sarah looked up at the young lady and smiled, "No, I'm not spying just taking down notes.  What happened here today will make interesting reading for those in the east or in San Francisco.  I make my some of my living writing for ladies journals."

A thought then struck her head that might appease the young lady.  "My readers will be eager to know the name of the lady who was bold enough to stand up and defend Miss Steelgrave.  Do I have your permission to print your name, Miss?"

@Javia

• Like 2

Jonah's main regret was that he and Doctor Boone had been confined to the lobby, as they weren't 'ladies', and therefore didn't qualify for the ladies part of the meeting...

Which meant that he missed out on the donnybrook that had broken out, more's the pity!  Still, they could hear it, and then it started to spill out toward them, and he stood, ready to dodge any errant swings, finding it all entertaining and amusing...

...Until he saw the look on Leah's face, and his heart went out to her.  This was her beloved project, and the 'ladies' didn't seem to be taking it seriously.

Glancing at Dr. Boone, he shrugged, then stood and waited for Leah to come through the waning melee.

@Flip

• Like 1

The meeting had been a shambles! her father could not have done a better job of ruining what she had tried to convey to the 'supposed' ladies of Kalispell. Yet even as she thought of the what had happened, and was still happening around her.

The bright spot had been the support of Anaesthesia Orr. She began to gather her things realizing that all was certainly not lost. They could proceed without any support from the community, perhaps it would be a bit more difficult, but with the grants she retained, that were in her name, it would be possible to proceed.

Still she was saddened by what had gone so horribly wrong. Causing Matthew to fire his pistol inside the room, what had been deafening, and certainly caused some damage that would need to be repaired. This had definitely been a day!

It was as she started for the door that she saw both Jonah and Josiah waiting in the lobby, and that was reason enough to smile. A hand touched her arm.

"Miss Steel, Phinias G. McVay, editor of the Union. The paper supports your efforts, Ma'am. Terribly sorry for, for whatever this was supposed to be."

"Thank you sir, you're support is highly valued." Leah replied with a smile , "please excuse me." She wanted away from the room and to confer with her partners.

"Certainly." Phinias replied as he got to his feet. There was type to set and a Special Edition to get out!

"Gentlemen." She greet the Doctors. Shall we step into the dining room?"

@Bongo

Jonah stepped forward to meet Leah, unfortunately too late to block the newsman...for him, there was no love lost with journalists, not that he'd had many encounters, but it seemed that all they were after was a sensational story, regardless of how they had to present the facts to get that. 

"Gentlemen." She greet the Doctors. "Shall we step into the dining room?"

Nodding, Jonah offered his arm to escort her.  "I take it things didn't go as planned," he commented, smiling, "but did you at least get your message to them?"  Leah only needed to reach a few of the more influential ladies, who could help sway things.

@Flip

Posted (edited)

Sarah looked up at the young lady and smiled, "No, I'm not spying just taking down notes.  What happened here today will make interesting reading for those in the east or in San Francisco.  I make my some of my living writing for ladies journals."

Anaesthesia’s peaches and cream complexion colored a little. She had misjudged the woman, although the step from spy to journalist might not be as great as one might think. However, ladies journals were a different stamp of publication to, say, a scandal sheet like The Kalispell Union. It was an era when women’s journals were starting to offer useful, practical advice to their readers. However, the particular title that Anaesthesia subscribed to, The Young Lady, was still a staunch bastion of maudlin and pious sentimentality.

She wondered for an instant if this woman could possibly be her favourite columnist, Clarissa Clearwater. She sort of hoped not: she had always imagined Miss Clearwater to be a young lady of her own age, her mirror image in beauty and refinement and Christian spirit: but perhaps with black midnight tresses, in contract to Anaesthesia's own locks of spun gold.

A thought then struck her head that might appease the young lady.  "My readers will be eager to know the name of the lady who was bold enough to stand up and defend Miss Steelgrave.  Do I have your permission to print your name, Miss?"

This flattering offer sent a frisson of excitement down Anaesthesia’s girlish spine, but the words of Miss Clearwater echoed in her head ‘For a young lady of delicate sensibilities, any sort of fame is ill-fame’. She looked to the somewhat dusty and cobwebbed ceiling, now further marred by Mr Wentworth’s bullet holes, for divine inspiration. As so often, God said exactly what she wanted to hear.

“Madame, it is hardly meet for a Young Lady to allow her name to appear in print in any popular publication. However, when I think of the wonderful, I dare say Holy mission upon which Miss Steelgrave has embarked, how can I not sacrifice even my good name to help its cause? I can only pray that you use me gently.” she took a deep breath and closed her eyes, as if steeling herself to leap from some great precipice.

“My name is Anaesthesia Ether Orr, daughter of Mr Richard Armstrong Orr and Mrs Dorothea Bosco Orr, née Dransfield.” She let it all out with a look of beatific martyrdom on her lovely face. She then opened her sparkling blue eyes and peeped over to Sarah’s notebook to make sure she had spelled it right.

“Oh no, with an A E, and if your typographer can possibly manage it, an Ash A” In case the woman didn’t know what the heck she was talking about, she gently and smilingly snatched the pencil from Sarah’s hand and lovingly wrote her own signature in the notebook.

Anæsthesia Ether Orr, Miss.

“And under what by-line and in which journal may I expect to read my name?” asked goldilocks.

@JulieS

"Gentlemen." She greeted the Doctors. "Shall we step into the dining room?"

Nodding, Jonah offered his arm to escort her.  "I take it things didn't go as planned," he commented, smiling, "but did you at least get your message to them?"  Leah only needed to reach a few of the more influential ladies, who could help sway things.

"That meeting was sabotaged!" Boone exclaimed, "and just what the Sam Hell were those getup's about? I've never seen the like. Shameful. plain and simple shameful."

"What's done is done." Leah ceded. "Yes it was a sabotage, yet I can't for the life of me figure out who might have done it. Obviously we need to begin a defense for the plan with the Town Council, whenever they decide to meet. I doubt we'll have an easy time of it with them."

"It was probably that Miggins woman, mean-spirited, spiteful, old battleaxe!" Boone added. "But you're right. I never thought I'd see such a display of downright delay on such a simple, cut and dried matter as this. What do you think Jonah?"

large.719236274_DocBoone.jpg.f5f153d1c28f60b818224a49f6038460.jpglarge.jonah2.jpg.f6828992e636729dafcd26f7570ed7ef.jpg

@Bongo

Sighing, Jonah shrugged.  "Does the elegant Miz Miggins have a motive beyond despising your name?'  For some...many...that was enough to want to stop Leah, but it was something that could be overcome with facts and education.  As for the costumes...

"Not really sure why everyone was dressed up," Jonah couldn't help but chuckle, "someone's idea of a joke, perhaps."  Again, he shrugged as he observed, "Or perhaps a way to discredit the event, make it a laughing stock?"  If no one took things seriously, Leah would never have her voice heard.  But he knew this wouldn't stop her.

At the table, he held the chair for her.

@Flip