Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Thankfully he received the cup of coffee. A warm cozy feeling spread in the small place. Jay didn't need presents. His present was the company he was in. Weedy wanted more. He was excited about getting a present.   "I'm very happy to be here in such excellent company. Merry Christmas."   Jay took one of the small baked goodies. With a large smile he chewed. "Did Santa come last night?" Hopefully Addy had taken care of that.
    • Addy's nose wrinkled up -- she hated change, but she knew he was right -- then she nodded.  "Yer right.  I got change given ta me, an' I'm grateful ta be able ta help th' boy, an' ta do that, we'd need a proper home."   Didn't need to be big, just two bedrooms, besides the kitchen and common room.  "He'd be thrilled, I think, ta have his own place.  Might be th' first time he's had somethin' like that, I don't allow as he ever had a proper house with his Ma."  Yeah, she could get more comfortable with the idea looking at it from that angle, and honestly, it might be nice to have more than one room, and room to move around.  "I'd appreciate yer help on that.  Thank ya, Speed, this ain't been easy."   @Flip
    • "There you have it!" Emeline declared with a laugh, "Bridget will help with the cooking, and Barnabas can try our efforts to make certain that they are as good as they should be."  Then she added with a playful grin, "And Mr. Pike can do the dishes as well, he's quite the expert at that!"   She laughed again and gave Barnabas a quick kiss on the cheek.  "Or you can just make certain that we behave ourselves and don't burn down the kitchen!"   Then she patted Bridget on the arm.  "Don't worry one bit, we will have fun, we won't do any harm, and we can make whatever you like...well, so long as I know the recipe!"   @Javia; @Flip
    • Leah & Jonah   “It is a great opportunity to tell the ladies what the plans are, how it will affect the town, and that it was not conceived, nor was it arranged by anyone on the Town Council, which is what I believe their plan to be.” She paused s if to catch her breath. “I’m sorry, I am just ready to fight them for what they owe the town, and that has nothing to do with who arranged what or when.”   "All the more reason to get to the ladies early," Jonah commented, "so they know where the ideas are coming from, and are in the groundwork, so they feel like they have a stake in things."    But this was a party, a time to have a good time and set that sort of thing aside.  "Tell me, just how modern is Helena?  In comparison to, say, St. Louis?  I wouldn't mind getting away for a day or two, maybe see a play or an opera."   As much as Kallispell suited his needs, he was craving a little civilization!   @Flip
    • Brendan, Arabella (and Charlie and Clara)   "Yes, I am, very much so!"   Clara and the other man were off away from them again. Brendan grinned at Clara's flustered reply to him and at Arabella's mock indignation.   “Whoa Cowboy! You’re meant to be smiling at me not … in again, in, in, in, out, out, out … not a-grinnin at the opposition!! Two more o’ these, then the jig!”   "Sorry," he said as they moved through the motions of the dance, "but she ain't the opposition, really. Here..." He smiled down at her. "There...happy now? Ooop..."    They moved into the jig and he almost started going the wrong way, but stopped in time because he was watching Arabella's eyes. He could tell a lot about an animal from its eyes, but when it came to people's eyes he couldn't tell much except which direction the person was looking in. During a dance, that was quite helpful.   The dance was not as scary as Arabella had made it out to be, and now that he had gotten the hang of it, he didn't really want it to be over - even though he would be out of breath and ready for a rest by the time the musicians stopped. He needed to make a visit to the beer tent soon.   He glanced over at Clara and her partner again and met the eyes of the man she was dancing with - just for a second before both couples turned and he was looking back at Arabella. Why was the man watching him? It wasn't as if he had insulted Clara or anything.   @Javia @Wayfarer @JulieS    

Mature Content: No

Author: Old Ranger

With: Too many folks to list.
Location: Horace Simpkin's Storage Barn just on outskirts of town
When: April 22, 1876
Time of Day: Late afternoon,

content-divider.png

Well it certainly seemed that Mother Nature was giving her approval for this annual town event as the weather was unseasonably warm, a mostly sunny day with a steady breeze. As was the tradition the spring dance normally started up sometime after 3 PM though of course there were folks there even earlier doing last minute setup and the usual crew of local men working on the fires that would roast the donated beef.  A small stage had been knocked together by those with carpentry experience so the assembled musicians could play upon it. Though a mite heavy for the stage, a piano had been laboriously brought in and set right next to the stage, donated (for the event only of course) by the Star Dust saloon. Long rows of tables were assembled against one of the walls and these were filling up with more donated goods such as bakery and other food items with pride of place going to the large punch bowl which would no doubt have to be refilled more than once before the fun was over sometime after midnight.

Gradually the place started to fill up as more and more dance goers showed up, dressed in their finery, looking to put aside their daily worries and toil and enjoy themselves for one evening at least.

OOC: OK, people start posting here for any dance related threads. This is going to be a site wide event so we are prepared to spend a LONG time on this one. It's a great chance to have your chars meet and mix other writer's charries in a social setting too.

"That's it.  The main thing is to remember that you're representing Lost Lake," Mike looked around the room. He had just given the hands who were going to the dance a quick talk about being on their best behaviour.  The hands who had been at the ranch for a long time knew this, so it was mainly for the benefit of those who had just joined up.

Before letting the men go, there was something else he had do to.  "However, there's one more thing that needs to be taken care of." His gaze fell upon two of the hands, Marty Smith and Ben Hall. "Okay, where's the book?"

Ben and Marty quickly glanced at each other and then back to Mike.  Marty was the first to speak, "What book?"

Mike took a deep breath, "The one that you've been recording the bets in."

"Ohhh...that one," Ben replied, "Marty's got it."

Marty feebly smiled. "Ummm...yeah I've got it," he said reluctantly, "but it's not what you think it is."

"I don't think anything...yet. I just want to know where it is and why?"

"That's easy.  Every time there's some sort of big event in town, it always happens.  So, we figured that we would make it more interesting this time."  Ben paused for a moment, "Say, how did you find out anyway?"  He peaked sideways at the two he thought might have said something.

Sam stood up and casually pointed to Charlie who was next to him, "Don't look at us.  Just because he's our brother doesn't mean we tell him everything."

"Ain't that the truth," Charlie interjected.

After a brief glaring glance at his brothers, Mike returned his attention to Marty and Ben. "I overheard some of the men talking about it in the barn the other day.

Seeing that Marty and Ben was at a loss as what to say next, Mike smiled, "What I was wondering was if you were ever going to get around to asking me if I would be interested."  He paused before going on, "Is eleven o'clock free?"

A quick look of surprised appeared on Marty's face, before he scramble to take the book out of his inside coat pocket and finding the relevant page, "Yeah, it's free."

"Put me down for that time."

"Sure thing boss," Marty scribble down Mike's name, "You're down for the first fight to start around eleven.  The winner'll be the person who's closest and they'll take the entire pot.  Only rule is that none of us can start a fight.  If that happens then all bets are off."

"Sounds good to me," Mike replied, "Now, that we've got that all cleared up, how 'bout we get going."

A few minutes later, the hands of Lost Lake were on their way to the Spring Dance.

• Made Me Laugh! 2

Arabella was as pleased as punch with the little side tent they were erecting to serve the 'hard stuff' when the dance commenced. Of course, she would do her best to avoid spending any time at all in there during the dance. She was there to have fun, not work! She also felt a sort of pride, being in there with Ms Devereau (even though she seems to be more about giving orders and ‘hobnobbing’ than doing anything herself) and the more practically useful Mr Flandry and Cookie, as well as a couple of rounded up rounders who had helped with the actual erection of the tent. Feckless loafers, usually, but who were keen to help ensure that the source of the nectar was safely installed.

She felt part of a family again that late morning and early afternoon when they'd been setting up. Sure, they all had different surnames, weren't kin in the strict sense. Weren't even all the same color (talking of which, it was actually quite a shock to see that Cookie could actually exist outside of the Saloon Kitchen!). But they were a sort of family when all was said and done. 

Moving the piano had been the biggest concern, and with Matilda getting that ‘let me think of a job for you to do’ look in her eyes, Arabella made a quick exit, with a parting cry of “I’d better make sure the pianna’s still in tune!”

She wandered into the barn: it was big, and the people in it busy, but nearly finished with their ministrations. Arabella clambered onto the stage (climbed a real stage for the first time in her life!) and sat down at the familiar old Joanna, and began banging out a jolly tune. Most carried on with their work, although maybe with a new vigor and even in time with the music, but a couple of fellers dropped their hammers and nails and danced together a comical pas de deux, to the laughter and applause of others.

Arabella didn’t overstay her welcome. The piano was in tune, or rather no less in tune than usual, and she stood up, gave a little curtsey to the two dancers, who jovially applauded her efforts, and clambered down.

She didn’t regret her decision not to play the piano at the dance that evening, she would rather dance with boys, but she couldn’t forget the thrill of that first, small, public performance.

Clara and Emeline arrived together each of them carrying folded up tablecloths and baskets of baked treats, cookies of all sorts and some fruit pies too which they had baked the evening before and now walked on over to the barn. They got there almost a full hour before the dance was supposed to start which gave them plenty of time to set up their goodies on the tables against one of the walls. For awhile as they placed the cookies on plates they could hear the piano playing. Clara had glanced right off to see who it was, Arabella!  She was actually pretty good at it too. Interesting.

Even as she worked with Emeline, a part of her felt very self conscious, something that almost never happened with her. But today she was all dressed up in a fine though rather low cut dress (at least for her) complete with a modest bustle underneath. That wasn't all. Emeline had done her hair also, the brunette pigtails now loosened and hanging down to her shoulders. And the final touch, Emeline even shared with the girl some of her seldom used perfume. Clara had never worn such but certainly liked the fragrance it gave off.  Many townsfolk would probably need to take a second look to recognize this rather elegant looking young lady was normally the solemn soberly dressed girl in long pigtails. It was kind of exciting but also made her a bit ....well....nervous.

All this makeover had been done at Emeline's upstairs apartment over the diner so even her father or brother had seen her yet. Now Aurelian wasn't much for dances but promised he would attend for a short while just to say hello to folks and be sociable. But he didn't want to leave the farm and it's animals unattended for too long. Wyatt would come with him too and no doubt leave at the same time too. Wyatt hated dancing because that involved doing it with....shudder.... girls. But there was going to be free food and punch plus his school friends would be there too. Clara half imagined Wyatt would end up laughing at the look of his older sister. No matter, what did he know about such things!

clara-all-dressed-up.gif

• Love 2

When Arabella had finished playing the piano and clambered off the stage and bumped into Bridget who, as per usual was ‘dressed like a dog’s dinner’ in other words, a little too overdressed. Why, that girl would take a parasol and a purse and a fan with her to milk a cow.

Arabella herself was dressed in a pretty ordinary dress: she’d put all her millinery effort of late into making her fancy dress outfit for Mr. Wentworth’s wash-out of an ‘Event’. Still, all that hadn’t been wasted effort for very good, but also very secret reasons which she didn’t even dare tell her bosom friend Clara... yet.

Talking of whom, where the heck was the girl?

She grabbed Bridget and walked her over to where Ms. Em and some woman were setting up the pastries table to ask the whereabouts of the missing Redmond girl. When the woman turned around, Arabella gave an absolutely ear-splitting scream of sheer delight!

“AARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!”

Bridget held her hands to her ears instinctively, but once it was safe to free her hands, clapped them with a beam of delight on her wordless lips, her head cocked slightly to the side in wonderment at the vision that stood before them.

Arabella was a lot more verbose, almost jigging up and down with excitement as she took in the dress, the hair, the everything.

“Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! You look SO beautiful!!! Where did you get that dress?! Turn around, is that a bustle?! Oh Golly Bridget, she got a bustle!!!”

Bridget nodded excitedly, forgetting that she, too, had a bustle. But that didn’t matter, because she always had a bustle. This was Clara’s FIRST bustle.

Arabella turned to Ms Emeline, her eyes almost shining with tears.

“Oh Miss Em, don’t she just look like a dream? She makes the rest of us gals all look like Annie off the Pickle Boat!”

Clara had just turned around when an unearthly yet strangely familiar screech of unimaginable proportions rent the barn. She could not help but both be startled and give a pained wince. Then she saw the origin of the scream, of course it was.

"Arabella!" she frowned.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! You look SO beautiful!!! Where did you get that dress?! Turn around, is that a bustle?! Oh Golly Bridget, she got a bustle!!!”

"Yes, Emeline thought it a capital idea so I agreed, she is a very intelligent woman," by now Clara had taken to calling her employer simply by her Christian name they got along so well.

Arabella turned to Ms Emeline, her eyes almost shining with tears.

“Oh Miss Em, don’t she just look like a dream? She makes the rest of us gals all look like Annie off the Pickle Boat!”

"Nonsense, it is just a dress," Clara waved off this sudden flood of praise. However, she honestly would not mind if any boys reacted even half as positively as Arabella.

clara-all-dressed-up.gif

Brendan had figured out a way to finagle his name onto the list of hands from the Evergreen spread who got to go to the dance. He'd promised the foreman that he would listen in to the men's talk about the price of beef and such and make discreet inquiries so that the Steelgraves could adjust their prices accordingly to either undercut the other ranchers or raise prices to make more of a profit.

Not that he was good at discreet inquiries, but the foreman didn't need to know that.

He had used a little bit of grease to slick his hair back and had hung his plaid shirt out in the sun for a while. Now it smelled like grass, sunshine, and horses.

He was just coming into the barn with a few of the other Evergreen hands when he heard a screech so loud and shrill it sounded like a panther. Everyone looked for the source of the scream, including him. It happened to be three girls standing off near the refreshment table. One of them was completely overdressed for a barn dance, one of them was maybe slightly underdressed, and one of them...

He approached the three girls and recognized Clara Redmond. She looked quite different; much more grown-up than when he had seen her before. But it had been several months.

"Evenin', Miss Redmond," he said, tilting his head to the side a bit. "Are you gonna introduce me to these other ladies? One of 'em has quite the pair of lungs, and I don't think it's you."

@Wayfarer @Javia

"Evenin', Miss Redmond," he said, tilting his head to the side a bit. "Are you gonna introduce me to these other ladies? One of 'em has quite the pair of lungs, and I don't think it's you."

Arabella looked the handsome young ranch-hand up and down for a second.

Yep!

Always vivacious, and somewhat inured these days to speaking to strange men, due to her work in the saloon, she paced straight forward and held out a hand. “Howdy cowboy, I’m Arabella: and that was my lungs you was just admirin’.”  She flirted as best she could, glancing down at her admittedly rather flat chest. “This here’s my pal Bridget, and it sounds like you already know Clara.”

“What’s your name, son? And how d’you fancy kickin’ up your heels with me a little bit later on?” she asked quite boldly, tapping her chest with her thumb.

She glanced back at Bridget and then, despite the fact that the ginger girl hadn’t said a word, added. “She says she’ll dance with you, too, but no polkas – she ain’t rightly constructed fer that sort o’ caper.”

She didn’t assume to speak for Clara, she expected that she would be a lot fussier in choosing dance partners, if she chose any at all, than her or Bridget.

Clara had barely gotten a word in and poor Emeline was left in the dust, a normal enough occurance when Arabella was involved. Just then look who came waltzing up like he owned the place. That - admittedly good looking - but very annoying Evergreen cowpoke.  She didn't forget a face like his. Name not so much....

"Evenin', Miss Redmond," the man said, tilting his head to the side a bit. "Are you gonna introduce me to these other ladies? One of 'em has quite the pair of lungs, and I don't think it's you."

"Well I ..." and that was all Clara got out.

“Howdy cowboy, I’m Arabella: and that was my lungs you was just admirin’.”  She flirted as best she could, glancing down at her admittedly rather flat chest. “This here’s my pal Bridget, and it sounds like you already know Clara.”

"Oh we have met alright," Clara's eyes burned into him.

“What’s your name, son? And how d’you fancy kickin’ up your heels with me a little bit later on?” the obnoxious Arabella asked, tapping her chest with her thumb, who wasn't done yet  (naturally).

“She says she’ll dance with you, too, but no polkas – she ain’t rightly constructed fer that sort o’ caper.” 

Clara felt badly for poor Bridget but decided she had better quickly take the chance to finally do the introductions the cowpoke wanted.

"His name is Brendan. I honestly cannot remember his last name if he even gave it to me. And I should warn you, Arabella, that if you do dance with him to be careful. He might be setting you for one of his fellow Evergreen hands to shoot you. Like he tried with me."

"And ladies, Brendan here works for the Steelgraves who are trying to steal my father's farm by any means possible."

Clara never took her eyes from Brendan as she stated all this.

Brendan had to try very hard not to laugh at Arabella. She had a big personality to match those big lungs, but she was still a little girl. Maybe not much younger than Clara, but Clara's new getup made the differences between them very stark.

How could someone not be constructed for polkas? That didn't make sense - mainly because constructed was a big word. The redheaded girl seemed nice enough, if a bit mousy.

"His name is Brendan. I honestly cannot remember his last name if he even gave it to me. And I should warn you, Arabella, that if you do dance with him to be careful. He might be setting you for one of his fellow Evergreen hands to shoot you. Like he tried with me. And ladies, Brendan here works for the Steelgraves who are trying to steal my father's farm by any means possible."

Brendan shifted his weight under Clara's scathing stare. He stuck his thumbs in his suspenders and met Clara's eyes, setting his mouth stubbornly. "Brendan Connolly. And I didn't set you up. The hands set me up."

He decided to let everything else Clara had said slide and turned to Arabella, shrugging as if to shake off Clara's opinion of him.

"Still wanna dance with me after hearin' that? I'll take a polka with you and a slow dance with Miss Ginger there, if she's 'con-struct-ed' for it."

@Javia @Wayfarer

Brendan shifted his weight under Clara's scathing stare. He stuck his thumbs in his suspenders and met Clara's eyes, setting his mouth stubbornly. "Brendan Connolly.”

That name sounded Irish, like Bridget’s. Oh, well, he couldn’t help that, Arabella supposed. Maybe he was a Catholic and could take her and Bridget to the Catholic mission tomorrow. She was going to ask him, but for once she couldn’t get a word in edgeways.

“And I didn't set you up. The hands set me up."

“Sure, the hands set him up!” Arabella agreed, not having a clue what this was all about, but trying to pour oil on troubled waters. Considering that she was her ‘bosom friend’ Clara never actually did  tell her much about her life.

"Still wanna dance with me after hearin' that? I'll take a polka with you and a slow dance with Miss Ginger there, if she's 'con-struct-ed' for it."

“Hey don’t call her that!” Arabella corrected the man, for these were the days when having red hair was considered ugly in a woman. “You wouldn’t like it if we made fun of your bow legs, now would you?” He didn’t really have bow legs, unlike most cowboys, but he wouldn’t know that. Unlike women, men didn’t spend a lot of time examining their own bodies, looking for imperfections. “I mean, they ain’t too bad, but you still couldn’t stop a pig in an alley.”

Arabella caught Bridget’s eye and nodded toward Clara, as if to say, to the elective mute, ‘have a word with her’, while she grabbed hold of Brendan’s arm and dragged him away from the scene of conflict.

“Step over here a second, Mr. Cowboy Connelly, and I’ll show you where we got the beer tent set up” she offered brightly, and as soon as they were a few steps away, hissed “Well, what the Dickens was all that about? You two looked fit to start a range war back there, even before this shindig’s begun. Tell me what happened between you two.” she asked with frown on her youthful features.

Meanwhile, Bridget’s contribution to all this was to rustle up to the incandescently furious looking Clara, bustle to bustle, and whisper in her ear “Is that man bad?”

• Like 1

After hitching their horses, Mike and the rest of the Lost Lake hands surveyed their surroundings.  The crowd was starting to build up and a couple of the hands headed over towards the tent where the beer was being served.  A few of them headed over to where the food was.  Some of them went inside leaving only Mike, Charlie and Marty to decide what to do.

After a minute or two, Marty tapped Mike on the arm and pointed towards the barn entrance.  "Over there boss, a couple of the Evergreen crew.  Remember them from that fight last year at the fair."

Even though it happened before he had arrived in Kalispell, Mike had heard what had happened last summer.  He also knew the story behind the so-called feud between Evergreen and Lost Lake.  "Okay, just make sure you and the others stay clear of them."

"Oh, I plan to...otherwise all bets will be off and I intend to win this time," Marty replied before heading off to warn his friends.

Mike turned to Charlie, "Speaking of bets.  What time did you put down?"

Charlie, seemed  to be distracted by something over where the food was being served, quickly turned his attention back to his brother, "Nine thirty."

Mike smiled, "Isn't that a bit optimistic?"

Shaking his head, Charlie answered, "From what I hear it isn't.  Besides Sam put down nine forty-five."

"I suppose you could be right but I'm hoping you're not.  Wouldn't mind winning that pot myself."  Taking one last good look at what was going on, Mike straightened his jacket, "I think I'll head inside and try my luck there. I'll see you later."

He patted Charlie on the back before walking towards the barn.

Brendan shifted his weight under Clara's scathing stare. He stuck his thumbs in his suspenders and met Clara's eyes, setting his mouth stubbornly. "Brendan Connolly. And I didn't set you up. The hands set me up." 

"So you say," Clara huffed, "And then what did you about it?"

She would have not tolerated being roped into such a vicious act, most folk would call it for what it was 'attempted murder'.

Arabella then went and took the cowpoke's side on it, so much for friendship and loyalty.  But it seemed she was more interested in getting to dance with the infuriating young man. Whatever!  As the pair shyed away for a conversation, Bridget remained.

“Is that man bad?”  she asked in a whisper.

"I do not know for certain, he probably is though. He works for a very bad man," Clara answered then glanced at Bridget and decided the poor thing needn't get involved all this drama, probably well beyond her comprehension anyhow.

"Say, I like your outfit. You look very nice," even as she complimented the other young woman, her mind was made up - regardless of how much effort it took she was going to see at least one man, or more, would dance with Bridget this night. Well, just slow dances.

Matilda entered the barn dressed in a very conservative, at least for her, cream dress, her hair up as usual, she had decided to bring a shawl for when it got cooler at night. It was still spring afterall and this was Montana, never a place considered to be one of the warm weather states by any means.  She was smiling at what she saw, folks were pouring in, there were refreshments, she could smell the mouth watering aroma of beef roasting in a firepit outside, there was a stage with some local musicians, and decorations on all the walls and hanging from the rafters. As she had been on the organizing committee she had worked and hoped it would turn out like this. Anything to forget that frozen mess that had been the demise of White Fish. And to think she almost looked for a saloon to buy there instead of Kalispell. 

Speaking of saloons, there was a tent just outside of the barn where Ralph was already busy serving beer and spirits to thirsty attendees, almost like a regular work day for the man not that he minded. Her cook was given the day and night off. And then there was her ward, Arabella, also given the freedom to be a young miss and hopefully not make a disaster of it. She too was just determined to enjoy the evening. Talk to folks, eat good food, and partake in a few dances. She was an excellent dancer really though seldom got a chance to prove it.

Maybe tonight then.

Matilda-again.jpg

• Like 1

“Is that man bad?”  she asked in a whisper.

"I do not know for certain, he probably is though. He works for a very bad man," Clara answered then glanced at Bridget and decided the poor thing needn't get involved all this drama, probably well beyond her comprehension anyhow.

Bridget listened to this verdict open mouthed and nodded her comprehension. She looked over to where Arabella was talking to the probable villain with a fretful look on her face, biting her bottom lip, and played nervously with her parasol handle, worried about the safety of her friend.

"Say, I like your outfit. You look very nice," even as she complimented the other young woman, her mind was made up - regardless of how much effort it took she was going to see at least one man, or more, would dance with Bridget this night. Well, just slow dances.

Bridget turned back to Clara, looking surprised at being addressed, and then down at her dress and nodded vigorously, before leaning over and whispering in her ear “I got lots of ‘em.”

She stood back and looked at Clara and smiled and nodded, as if to say ‘I like your dress too.’

But then she frowned, looking at Mrs Blakesley and whispered “Is that lady bad?” If the pretty cowboy was bad, maybe the pretty lady was, too.

"Hey don’t call her that! You wouldn’t like it if we made fun of your bow legs, now would you?"

Ignoring Clara's question about what he had done about being set up - nothing, really, besides expressing his displeasure to Billy and Greer - Brendan looked askance at his knees. He didn't have bow legs, did he? Someone would have told him before now. But it was enough to make him pause. Bridget's red hair was actually quite pretty, although as young as she was, she shouldn't have had it twisted up so ridiculously. He wondered how much she'd minded his comment about her hair.

An amused grin spread across his face as he let Arabella lead him by the arm away from Clara and Bridget. Towards the beer tent. Well, that was a step in the right direction, in his opinion. Maybe if Miss Redmond got a little spirits in her sometime she'd be more fun to be around. But Arabella didn't let him go to the beer tent just yet.

"Well, what the Dickens was all that about? You two looked fit to start a range war back there, even before this shindig’s begun. Tell me what happened between you two."

He glanced back at Clara and gave her a grin - not an especially nice one, but not a mean one either - before looking down at Arabella, speaking in an almost sing-song voice like he would when he was talking to his siblings.

"Nothin' much. Couple of the hands took a shot at her when we was talkin' back in the summer and she hasn't forgotten."

Emeline couldn't help but chuckle at the youngsters' antics, remembering a time when she was flighty and flirty like that, and relieved that young Arabella's attention had quickly been diverted elsewhere.

Making sure that everything on the table was just right -- not that it would be for long, once folks started picking at the food -- Emeline listened to the conversation, somehow not at all surprised that Clara had had an untoward encounter with some cowboys, and counting them luck that Clara hadn't been armed!

Then Miss Bridget sidled closer and whispered to her.

“Is that lady bad?”

"Who, Clara?"  Emeline kept her voice low as she shook her head.  "No, not at all, she's a fine young woman.  And I have a feeling that it's all a misunderstanding and Master Brendan is not so bad either." 

She smiled and lightly touched the girl's arm.  "Your dress is beautiful, and you wear it well."  Grinning, she took a couple of sashay-steps, rather awkward, then added, "Dressing up is one thing, but being able to move gracefully is another."  She didn't mind the bustle and layers of material on occasion, but she always felt a little out of place.

@Javia; @Flip

The shindig was in full swing when Addy arrived, driving one of her big freight wagons, loaded with eager party-goers from the outlying farm, seated on bales of hay.  A few weeks prior, she'd put out word that she'd pick up anyone who needed a ride to the festivities, and now she was arriving with several revelers who had already started their party, singing songs to the music of Mr. Haro's fiddle.

"Here we are!"  Addy hopped down from the seat, then went around back to let down the gate and help everyone out, then she followed them to into the building, pausing to look around, wondering if Jay was going to be here.

She was as gussied up as she got, wearing a white shirtwaist that had tiny blue pinstripes, and even a bit of lace, and a blue wool skirt that was worn over several petticoats to give it some floof.  It didn't bother her that she wasn't a fashion plate, she'd never worn a bustle and never would, and besides, there were all manner of dress, and no one really paid much mind, they were here to have fun and mingle with neighbors.

@Jack  (open)

The column of riders approached the dance area at a round trot. The riders all had cloaks on, mostly to keep the trail dust off of their uniforms than for any warmth or concealment. The rider at the head raised an arm and the twin columns pulled up and stopped. MacKenzie swung down from his saddle and shrugged off his cloak, draping it over the saddle of his mount before he stepped back, batting lightly at his uniform and boots as the other officers and sergeants with him did the same.

MacKenzie straightened and spoke quietly. "Alright, lads...form up..." The men fell unconsciously into two rows facing him. A few cast longing looks toward the tent that had the unmistakable look of the saloon tent. They all faced front as the colonel began speaking.

"You all look like military gentlemen and I thank you for the effort you put in to getting ready for this little soiree..." MacKenzie smiled as his eyes moved along the two rows, then the smile dropped off

"Now understand this, if any of you get into trouble tonight...for any reason...your military careers will come to a screeching halt." His eyes searched out a few of the men he knew had reputations for drink or the ladies. "I selected you all to attend this dance because I needed men who could comport themselves with honor and dignity. If any of you make me regret choosing you for this dance, I guarantee you that you will regret your actions a lot more."

MacKenzie looked them over another few moments, then nodded. "Once we leave the dance tonight, I have arranged for us to occupy several rooms at the hotel in town..." MacKenzie saw several faces light up and a few elbow nudges among the young officers. "...If all of you aren't in those rooms tomorrow morning when Sergeant Major Halloran makes his rounds, do not bother showing up afterward, am I clear?"

The men nodded and several "Yessirs" were scattered among the bobbing heads. MacKenzie nodded and began tugging off his gauntlets. "Then dismissed and have fun, lads...within reason."

MacKenzie grinned as the group broke up, some of the officers and men bustling toward the saloon tent as he began walking toward the dance tent. He glanced sideways at the sergeant major in his braided NCO finery as he kept pace with him. "Thank you for agreeing to come along and ride herd on the men..."

Halloran shrugged and looked ahead at the dance barn. "Colonel, Darlin', It's been a long time since I've been asked to any of these parties unless they were being held on the fort itself...this is a welcome surprise. Besides, you picked a pretty decent group. I only figure I need to watch three or four of them."

MacKenzie nodded as they reached the open doorway of the barn. "Well, thank you anyway, now go enjoy yourself...I believe I have a dance to ask for..."

@Wayfarer for Matilda or open tag for anyone else

[Arabella & Brendan]

"Nothin' much. Couple of the hands took a shot at her when we was talkin' back in the summer and she hasn't forgotten."

“Oh, and you think that just because it wasn’t your fault, you don’t need to apologize?” Arabella surmised, sadly shaking her head at the poor handsome cowboy’s total ignorance about the ways of women.

“Listen, Reb, you do like girls don’t ya, I mean, you ain’t one o’ them ‘funny fellers’? Right! Now you look at that girl Clara, ain’t she about the prettiest girl in this whole darn place? Ain’t she allurin’ in that there dress with them pretty little ringlets in her hair?”

Looking across, no man in his right mind could deny that the usually prim and proper Miss Redmond looked radiantly beautiful and attractive tonight.

“Sweet sixteen and never been kissed. Well, not so you’d notice. Listen, B.C., that there girl’s like a prairie rose, sure she’s kinda prickly, but it’s worth getting over the sting to possess the flower.”

Oh, actually, talking about ‘possessing flowers’ sounded a bit near the knuckle, so she explained it another way.

“See, women don’t like all this manly explainin’ yourself and bein’ all proud and right all the time. Women like men to be wrong all the time, and apologetic ,and wantin’ to mend their ways, but in a sort of manly way.” It was hard to explain, so she gave Brendan a solid example.

“Say, why don’t you go back over there, and say…” a this point, the 15 year old girl dropped her voice to a deep and slightly dumb sounding baritone and put her thumbs in some imaginary braces.

“… er, ‘listen here Miss Redmond. I see now that I been a darn fool, and I’d like to apologize for my silly foolishness and hope that you’ll forgive me and that we can be friends from now on.’ Then put out your hand and she can’t right politely refuse to shake it. Then later you can have a dance together and you won’t have to be stuck with me and Miss Ginger all night.”

She slapped him on the shoulder with a reassuring smile.

“Don’t be scared, I’ll back y’ up!”

@Bailey

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Liked your post, Pard! 1

Bridget watched Arabella talking to Brendan completely agog. She didn’t even notice the teenaged girl and her slightly older boss change places as they laid out the pies and divvied them up into neat slices.

“Is that lady bad?”

"Who, Clara?"  Emeline kept her voice low as she shook her head.  "No, not at all, she's a fine young woman.  And I have a feeling that it's all a misunderstanding and Master Brendan is not so bad either." 

Bridget nearly jumped a mile when she realized that she’d whispered into Ms Em’s ear and not Clara’s. Still the answer that the lady gave to her question showed that she was nice, and she automatically smiled and nodded at the assurance that even Brendan wasn’t as awful as Clara made out. She felt much safer for Arabella now too, and stopped eying the pie knife on the table.

She smiled and lightly touched the girl's arm.  "Your dress is beautiful, and you wear it well."  Grinning, she took a couple of sashay-steps, rather awkward, then added, "Dressing up is one thing, but being able to move gracefully is another."  She didn't mind the bustle and layers of material on occasion, but she always felt a little out of place.

Bridget understood the complement. All her dresses were pretty. As for wearing it well, she guessed that was a compliment too, but it made her wonder how you’d wear a dress badly. Then she remembered when, a couple of times, she’d got a new dress and put it on back to front, and understood what the kind lady meant.

She had a compliment for Ms Em, too, and a heartfelt, genuine one at that. She leaned over and, cupping her hand, whispered into Mrs Blakesley’s ear – on purpose this time – “I like your pies!”

@Bongo @Wayfarer

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Pronto had been walking around the large enclosure, an eye on everyone, not looking for trouble, just keeping a weather eye out in case. Of course he was o a straight line for Em, not wanting his duties to define the evening.

Folks all looked splendid in their finery and go to meetin' duds. He was dressed much as he had been at Christmas, uncomfortable as it was. The shiny tin star on his coat breast announcing him as "Deputy Sheriff".  So far, and the event was in it's early stages, there appeared to be no problems to speak of, everyone appeared to be having a great time, dancing and talking.

He reached his fiance and with a smile said; "All's quiet out there amonst 'em. So, care to dance?" He extended his hand, course we can wait on a waltz if you'd prefer,

@Bongo

Emeline chatted with Bridget then, assuring her that she (Clara) was definitely not a bad person. It was a bit strange as she had been so very kind to Bridget ever since their first meeting but then she did not wish to badger the young lady for an explanation. Besides Bridget was a bit .... slow on the uptake.

Just then Emeline's fiance showed up, he looked more dressed up than she was used to seeing him. Ah, and he had his deputy sheriff's badge on for all to see.  Hopefully there would be no need for lawmen at this dance unlike the previous one.

"All's quiet out there amonst 'em. So, care to dance?" Pronto extended his hand, " course we can wait on a waltz if you'd prefer."

They would have to wait a bit, the musicians were not quite ready to start playing yet, there had been no music so far other than earlier Arabella had played the piano.  Clara was standing right there next to Emeline so she faced the man.

"Good evening, Mr. Pike, we got wonderful weather for this dance did we not?" she addressed the man.

clara-all-dressed-up.gif

@Bongo @Flip

Benjamin was wearing his dress uniform and had shined his boots for the occasion. Personally wearing the cloak was a little bit too much in his opinion but as any good soldier he had obeyed orders. As they reached the location of the dance, to be held inside a barn, the detachment dismounted. The colonel wanted them to form up. Benjamin again did as expected and lined up with the rest of the officers and sergeants. Seemed a bit formal for an evening off duty. Or maybe the colonel wanted to show his authority off to the gathering civilians, certainly a few wide eyed boys were ogling the soldiers, kids liked soldiers.

MacKenzie then launched into a spiel about making certain everyone behaved themselves or there would be serious consequences. Benjamin got it, in fact he agreed with the colonel's assessment. But that could have been done too at the fort before they departed for the dance rather than be lectured like this in front of the civilians. But the man was in charge and he could do what he liked. Rank hath it's privilege.

The colonel had arranged for hotel rooms for them to stay in after the dance rather than ride back to the fort again. Could well be a smart move considering many soldiers' predilection toward liquor. While he himself had no intention to get drunk, he was certainly going to avail himself of the opportunity for a few drinks.

The men nodded and several "Yessirs" were scattered among the bobbing heads. MacKenzie nodded and began tugging off his gauntlets. "Then dismissed and have fun, lads...within reason."

Benjamin nodded, glad that was over with. First off he decided he would walk about a bit in the barn and see what this affair was going to be like. Then he would secure himself a heaping plate of food especially that mouth watering smelling roast beef. Wash it down with a beer or a whiskey - or two.

"Thank you," Emeline smiled at the compliment of the pies, "Clara helped a good deal.  Try the cookies, too.  She put a lot of work into those."  Indeed, they had been up late the past few nights to be sure that they had everything they needed.

Her smile brightened as she saw Barnabas approach, and she gave him a slight curtsy.  "Mr. Pike."

"All's quiet out there amonst 'em. So, care to dance?" He extended his hand, "course we can wait on a waltz if you'd prefer."

"Any dance is fine with me, so long as it's with you."  Taking his hand, she gave it a squeeze.

"Good evening, Mr. Pike, we got wonderful weather for this dance did we not?" Clara addressed the man.

"Oh!"  Emeline remembered that there needed to be some introductions!  "This is Miss Clara."  She laughed, adding, "I wasn't sure you would recognize her in her pretty dress.  And this is Bridget, and the young lady there is Arabella..." she wasn't sure he'd recall their discussion about the eager girl, "and the gentleman is Brendan.  This is Mr. Pike."

@Flip; @Wayfarer; @Javia