Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "That's quite a bit of responsibility for a young man," Emeline commented, impressed.  "It shows a good deal of character."  Hopefully not at the expense of life in general and Clara specifically.  It was too easy to be consumed with your work and not have time for anything else.  but if he could find that time, Emeline thought that he might be the sort of gentleman that Clara needed.   "Well, you know he wouldn't owe me if he borrowed books, but I understand.  He does seem like someone that would be good for you to get to know better.  Maybe you should ask him on a picnic, I'm sure we can spare some fried chicken and a slice or two of pie!"   @Wayfarer
    • Well, she'd given it a good go, but Addy couldn't ditch the man , and unfortunately she wasn't wearing her pistol, since she was attending a meeting and not going out on the trail.  Of course, she supposed, it would be rather blatant and risky to just shoot the man on the street, so, she figured, it was better anyway to lure him into the barn, where one of the huge draft horses could 'panic' and trample him to death...   Such dark thoughts!  Addy shook her head, but then, she'd do whatever she had to to protect Weedy.   Turning to face the man, her nose wrinkled up.  He had the look of a lawyer about him...one that had been eaten by a bear and was fighting to get out!   "Yeah?  Whacha want?"   @Javia
    • “Well, yeah, she is. She’s nineteen now, getting to be an old maid, and what with bein’ too attractive for men to dare to ask her out, she’s scared she’ll miss the boat; she’ll just be left there to sit, all alone, on that big pile of money she’s goin’ to inherit when her rich old uncle dies.”   The way this odd girl was gushing on about this enchanting and soon to be rich gal was simply too good to be true. All that going for her and yet she was supposedly available and just waiting for some dirt poor young cowpoke she never met come and sweep her up? It was all a load of bull shit, Billy scoffed.   "Don't believe you for a minute, besides............."   He then came up with what he thought a brilliant excuse to get away from her and her madwoman schemes. Surely even this girl would not follow him into a bath house. Not to mention the owner would definitely kick her right out. Well, Billy did not reckon with Arabella alright.   “What d’ya want to do throwing away money on bathhouses for? You can have a bath for free, right now, right here!” she jerked a thumb toward the stairs. “Ms Deverau’ll have just finished hers. Water’ll still be nice warm and I can top it up with that kettle I just boiled for the plates. And she don’t tiddle in the water like some folks do.”    "Deverau? Ain't that the lady who owns this place? Like I am gonna go jump in her bathtub without a by your leave? She might well shoot me or have that bartender of hers do it. Word has it that man is a real killer too. I'm not taking that risk," Billy protested.   “Listen, I was watchin’ you playin’ cards in there, and you looked to me like a feller who was just about to have a winnin’ streak. So, you go have a bath, first door on the right…” she frowned down at his hand and then tugged at his right sleeve “… that’s that side, and then go back in there, get in the game, win a whole bunch of money, and you can buy Bridget Monahan a nice bunch of flowers when you take her for a promenade after church tomorrow. I’ll get Mundee to come and stand next to you at the card table and put her hand on yer shoulder, blondes are good luck for gamblers, y'know!”   "Bridget Monahan? That's this beautiful rich lady friend of yers? I know of her. She is some sort of a half-wit who wanders the streets all the time. Somethin's wrong with one of her legs too, limping about like she does," he frowned.   "Well no thanks, not to mention the fact i don't ever go to any church services. As for that bath, I was almost tempted but only a fool would trespass onto that woman's private quarters. I already got one of the Lost Lake owners wantin' to shoot me first chance he gets, don't need a big shot woman lookin' to do the same," once more he started to try his escape.
    • I think it wrapped up nice there.
    • [Sarah, Leah, Anaesthesia]   Directing her attention back to the young lady who was now addressing her, she took a deep breath, "Yes, I agree with your summation that Miss Steelgrave's plans should be looked at in great detail before a decision is made.”   “I am gratified that such an eloquent voice is joined with mine” smiled Anaesthesia, but Sarah’s initial sally was merely a feint. There was an almost inevitable ‘however’:   “I am sure the town council is doing just that and I hope we all have the good sense to know that those men will endeavour to make sure that they have all the information they need to do so.  Hence my question, which unfortunately now seems to have become an opportunity for certain ladies who are currently in the audience to disrupt this meeting."   Miss Orr might not have been a young woman of supernatural intelligence, but she possessed an undeniable advantage over many of her more cerebral peers, she listened. She smiled again, lighting up that angelic face, and held out an innocent white lace gloved hand to the older and wiser woman sitting on the front row of seats. “Then please, most respected Madame, will you not join me in asking her? I am young and silly and know so little of the world, but I do know that I must learn. For although our affairs may be so often in the hands of men, are not we, their wives, daughters, mothers and sisters, most often in the position to influence them so very strongly for what is good and right?”   Big blue honest eyes searched the shrewder brown gaze of the worldly wise writer from the civilised West Coast, who needs must either grasp that plaintiff offered hand or overtly reject it.   @JulieS @Flip

If you were to ask Charlie later why he felt so put out by the fact that Clara had accepted Brendan's invitation to dance, he wouldn't be able to tell you.  He wasn't sure if it was the fact that she was dancing with someone from Evergreen or the fact that she left him without as much as a by your leave.  She hadn't even bother to thank him for the dance they had just shared.

Thinking about the brief conversation that had just happened, Charlie realised that Clara had somehow steered it back to her and how hard her life was.  Here she was all dressed up like an adult and yet still wanted attention like a child.  Clara had a lot of growing up to do and he for one wasn't going to wait around.  Any notions he had toward to her needed to be quashed and there was only one thing that would help do that.

Ignoring Arabella who was standing beside him, he started to look around for some of the other hands from Lost Lake to join him over at the beer tent.

• Like 1

w & w, in the loft

"Turnips?"  Weedy's nose wrinkled up in distaste.  "Ew.  Corn and stuff is good, but turnips?"

"I don't like'em either," Wyatt assured the other boy, "but Pa makes me finish my plate. At least Clara only puts a really small helping on my plate."

Looking down at the dancers, Weedy said, "They are doing pretty good together, huh?  I'm afraid I'd tromp all over a girl, and then she'd cry and that would be annoying!  I want a girl who likes climbing trees and spit...I mean, if I had to have a girl at all."

Wyatt commented, "Not all girls cry so easy. I don't think I ever actually saw my sister cry. Of course she couldn't attend Ma's funeral. I admit....I cried. A lot. Pa said it was alright to cry."

"But you know, we're the ones who pick the girls so just don't pick one you don't like or think might be a bawl baby. Just pick a good one."

Of course that all sounded real easy but in reality Wyatt had absolutely no clue how one decided that.

Addy, Benjamin (Speed taking his leave)

Of course the two of them couldn't help but notice him standing right there and turned their attention his direction.

"Captain Barlow, isn't it? Good to see you again, Sir. Addy, Captain, if you'll excuse me, unfortunately I am on duty and duty require my making certain rounds, if you'll excuse me then."

"Yes, it is. Nice to see you also, Marshal," the officer nodded, "And of course, duty is duty."

"Ya work to hard, Speed!" Addy declared with a grin.  "I'll let ya know on th' house."  Then she turned her attention to Barlow.

"Cap'n.  Good ta see ya made it here, it's good fer th' locals ta get ta know ya soldiers...workin' hand in hand on occasion, should th' need arise." 

"Nice to see you again, Miss," Benjamin smiled, "Seems your dance committee invited us here and it would have been foolish to turn down such  a kind invitation."

"Are ya enjoyin' th' evenin'?"

"Why yes, I actually am. These social affairs are not exactly something I am all that familiar with but the roast beef was excellent. And a soldier knows to take advantage of every opportunity one can get for some first rate food," he pointed out.

He realized he should get to the point and did so, "I was wondering if I might have the pleasure of a dance unless you are already spoken for of course."

anothercavoffpic.jpg

Well!

Clara seemed to have suddenly become very forgiving towards Brendan’s social gaffs although, to be honest, a cowboy that handsome was pretty easy to forgive. And off they went!

That left Charlie. Arabella smiled up at him, waiting for him to ask her to dance.

She was a girl.

She was there.

She was nearly sixteen.

The feller was in a dream. She did wonder about giving him a kick in the shin, and shouting Well, what ya waitin’ fer, slowcoach?! in his ear. Arabella wasn’t the type to beg a boy for a dance, she was the type to tell him it was a-happenin’.

But then she felt a tap on her shoulder, or rather a punch on her arm. It was a lugubrious looking farm boy of about 17 with a lazy manner and enough slickum on his hair and neck-tiery around his neck to fancy him up for the night. He was as uncomplicated and carefree as the youngest Wentworth brother was haunted and angst-ridden.

“You steppin’, Reb, 'r playin’ musical statues?” he drawled, and the girl didn’t even give Charlie another glance. “Guess I’m steppin’, Hayseed!”  she replied and they took their positions just as the music began.

possiblenpc.jpg

• Liked your post, Pard! 1

Leah & Jonah

She smiled, but it was not a happy smile this time. “I’ll have to go home and shoot the old man myself.” It was that simple and direct. “Of course then there would be Case to deal with, but I doubt he has any interest in stopping the hospital, or for that matter, the orphanage. The ranch will be his, well, his and his brothers." She looked up at him. "Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure, but it will be a necessity to see this thing through."

"What?"  Jonah looked up at her, looking for a sign that she was joking, but it wasn't there...she was deadly serious, and he had no doubt that she could and would follow through if it came to it.  Stopping, he turned to look at her, again distressed that she would feel that she had to resort to such drastic measures.

"If you feel that it has come to that, I will back you...help you."  He wasn't keen on murder, but he was wise enough to know that there were some people who were evil enough to need it, although he hated that someone like Leah would have to have that weighing on her soul.

"We'll have to do our best to see that it doesn't come to that, and if it does..."  Well, they'd have to be sure that it didn't come back to her.  None of this was worth her being hanged.

@Flip

Addy & Barlow

Nodding, Addy grinned as she looked out at the floor.  "Seems my interest is elsewise occupied, so I'd be pleased ta dance with ya."  She hooked her arm into his, commenting as they strolled to the floor, "I'll warn ya, though, I'm fair better at drivin' horses than I am at twinkin' my toes."  Her grin widened.  "Though I can't say as I've done anyone any major damage...yet!  'Course, yer a soldier, so yer acquainted with danger!"

@Wayfarer

"Not all girls cry so easy. I don't think I ever actually saw my sister cry. Of course she couldn't attend Ma's funeral. I admit....I cried. A lot. Pa said it was alright to cry."

Weedy nodded, then muttered, "I cried when they told me about my Ma, too."  Then he shrugged and sighed.  "I don't even know if she's buried someplace."  Maybe he should ask Miss Addy about that?  Maybe not, what good would it do?

"But you know, we're the ones who pick the girls so just don't pick one you don't like or think might be a bawl baby. Just pick a good one."

"Or none."  He was pretty much agreed on that.  But he wasn't so sure on 'picking', if you just went someplace where there were plenty of girls when you were ready and took home the one you liked?  But Miss Addy seemed to like Jay, and Jay liked her back, and she'd had to go all the way to Whitefish...

Sighing, he shook his head.  "Just seems like an awful lot of trouble.  Guess we don't have to worry for a while anyway.  And we'll have to get all our fun in now, before we have girls to tell us we can't!"

@Wayfarer

"What?"  Jonah looked up at her, looking for a sign that she was joking, but it wasn't there...she was deadly serious, and he had no doubt that she could and would follow through if it came to it.  Stopping, he turned to look at her, again distressed that she would feel that she had to resort to such drastic measures.

“Sorry to shock you Jonah. I’m afraid none of the folks in this town know what the man is capable of, what he has already done to get where he is, and have what he has. Most of it stolen.” She explained.

"If you feel that it has come to that, I will back you...help you."  He wasn't keen on murder, but he was wise enough to know that there were some people who were evil enough to need it, although he hated that someone like Leah would have to have that weighing on her soul.

“Thank you Jonah, but I can't have you involved in that. If it should come to it, I’ll act alone for what should be obvious reasons.” She said as the walked along. “You and Doc Boone would have to carry on with the project.”

"We'll have to do our best to see that it doesn't come to that, and if it does..."  Well, they'd have to be sure that it didn't come back to her.  None of this was worth her being hanged.

“Yes we will. Though that sort of thing appears to be a long way off, for the moment.” She said. “And, the situation may never come to the need to do away with Elias Steelgrave.”

@Bongo

Emeline & Banabas

“I’m sure findin’ some cowhands what played alla them instruments an’ sech would be easy enough. I mean, don’t they all?” Then he laughed. “We’ll make do ‘til we git us an orchestra of our own, runnin’ about the place, might take a bit, but it could be done.” He winked at her. Their future looked bright as anything, of course, the dark cloud that was the Steelgrave problem loomed ever-present for the foreseeable future. But then, life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes. The thought gave him pause.

"We'd have the most content stock in town!"  Emeline laughed.  "Perhaps I can learn to play fiddle."  But then her nose wrinkled up.  "I suppose it would be difficult to dance and fiddle at the same time, so I don't know what we'll do!"  Well, maybe she could invest in a simple music box so they'd have something to dance to besides nothing!

"I suspect we won't have much leisure time for dancing for another twenty years or so, anyway, so we'd best take advantage of the chance while we can!" Between establishing and running a ranch, and (hopefully) children, they were going to be busy in the best way!  "By the time we can dance we'll be needing those rocking chairs!"

@Flip

Brendan and Clara on the dance floor

Clara had been to Philadelphia? Brendan blinked. "What'd you go to Phi-li-del-phi-i-a for?" His words came out a little jerkily because of the quick steps of the square dance they were doing. He knew square dances by heart and almost didn't need the caller to tell him what to do next...normally, that is. But he was having a harder time concentrating than he normally would.

Clara seemed bent on making him understand that she was not rich and nor was her family, even going on to talk about how the pretty dress she was wearing didn't belong to her. "This dress is not mine, my employer lent it to me."

"Who cares about who it belongs to?" he replied as he stuck his arm through hers and swung her around in a circle. "It looks good on you."

"May I say you look quite handsome yourself," she added, which elicited a smile from Brendan, who could never hear too many compliments about himself.

He pretended to look shocked, however, opening his mouth in mock surprise. "What's this? A compliment from Miss Redmond? For an Evergreen hand?" He couldn't keep up the act anymore and went back to grinning as they stepped in time with the music. "The world must be comin' to an end."

@Wayfarer

The dance with Bridget had come very unexpected and he wasn't very happy about it because he was there for one woman only and it wasn't Bridget. Jay told himself he should really start mingling with the town folk more and make an effort, so he went along and did the fast dance with her, listening carefully what steps and turns were being called, so he wouldn't bump into anyone or look like a complete fool. It turned out to be fun and Jay actually worked up a bit of sweat while trying to keep up with the Miss and her wooden leg.

It was amazing how well she moved on it. He'd actually never seen anything like it and was proud to have his share until the dance neared the end and she suddenly held on to him.

Jay could feel the warmth radiate off her body and her hot breath tickled his ear while she bent down and claimed she had a screw loose.

"I wouldn't go that far. You're just very keen on dancing...." His brows shot up until he realized what she really meant, so he briefly bent down, too, getting on one knee to inspect the broken piece...right at the bottom of her skirt, which had to have looked worse to onlookers than what she had just done.

"I can't fix that here. I have no tools, I'm afraid. Maybe just sit the next few dances out. It'll hold for normal walking."

As he straighten up again, dropping the bottom of her skirt back down, he realized what he'd been doing and looked in Addy's direction. Hopefully she wasn't getting the wrong impression.

• Love 1

[Jay Ryker and Nellie Miggins]

Nellie Miggins had had quite enough of this here barn dance. Why, she’d been here half an hour, and not one young man had asked her for a dance. She’d decided that the whole affair was a dead loss and was going to high tail it, as soon as she’d found her grandson: not only to inform him of her departure, but to warn him again not to dance with any ‘fast’ girls, especially that Mudd creature from the saloon. At one point she had intended to suggest he ask that nice quiet and respectable Redmond girl for a dance, but then she’d noticed that even she was dolled up like a floozie tonight, showing enough bare skin to qualify as a savage, in her eyes. Morals and public decency was certainly going to the dogs around these parts.

While looking for Jacob as the last dance ended, she nearly fell over a feller who was on one knee in front of a ginger haired girl who was dressed up like a dogs dinner. As he rose, she had only one question for the man.

“Well, did she say yes?!”

Like one or two other onlookers, she assumed that the man was proposing marriage to the girl.

“You know she’s a cripple, don’t ya?” she asked. Not the poor girl’s fault, she supposed, but she did hate to see a man go to market to buy a dog in a basket and come back home with a pig in a poke.

As he came to his full height, though, and spoke in his peculiar accent, Granny Miggins’ eyes narrowed as some ungraspable memory tickled her brain.

“Say … don’t I know you from someplace?” she asked with more than a hint of suspicion in her voice.

@Jack (+ @Bongo if you want to rescue him!)

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Addy and Benjamin

Nodding, Addy grinned as she looked out at the floor.  "Seems my interest is elsewise occupied, so I'd be pleased ta dance with ya." 

"Thank you, " the officer smiled.

She hooked her arm into his, commenting as they strolled to the floor, "I'll warn ya, though, I'm fair better at drivin' horses than I am at twinkin' my toes."  Her grin widened.  "Though I can't say as I've done anyone any major damage...yet!  'Course, yer a soldier, so yer acquainted with danger!"

"Well, my training has not actually included dancing though I've picked up some of it along the way. And considering I fought in the late great unpleasantness and against the Indians, I reckon your dancing will be the least of my risks," he countered as they now readied for the music.

"Ready to live dangerously?" he then asked with a smile even as the music began and the pair took off in what was quite the lively bit of exercise to a jaunty tune.

Did they always do it right? Of course not but they didn't actually embarrass themselves either. Benjamin had to admit, he was glad he had decided to attend this here social affair.

W & W in the loft

Weedy nodded, then muttered, "I cried when they told me about my Ma, too."  Then he shrugged and sighed.  "I don't even know if she's buried someplace."

Wyatt sympathized, "Sorry bout your ma. I'm sure they buried her though."

The conversation steered back to the present and future too. About girls. Not a topic Wyatt discussed much even though his father had recently pointed out he would change his thinking soon enough. Maybe.

"Or none." 

Sighing, Weedy shook his head.  "Just seems like an awful lot of trouble.  Guess we don't have to worry for a while anyway.  And we'll have to get all our fun in now, before we have girls to tell us we can't!"

"I already got one girl who tells me what to do....a lot," scoffed Wyatt, though it never was as bad as he made out. His sister could be stern but she was also fair.

Wyatt pulled out another cookie and munched on it. Then eyes wide, he paused and pointed down to the dance floor.

"Why is that man looking under that lady's dress?  Wait, that's Mr. Ryker!" 

He was quite positive men (or boys) were not supposed to do that sort of thing!

westrpgson2.jpg

Brendan and Clara

"What'd you go to Phi-li-del-phi-i-a for?"

"We used to live just outside of Philadelphia when I was born," Clara informed him even as they executed all the necessary dance moves.

She had to admit this dress which was probably central in her getting to many compliments this dance was not hers, she owed it to Emeline, in her kindly employer and - dare she think it - sort of mother figure.

"Who cares about who it belongs to?" he replied as he stuck his arm through hers and swung her around in a circle. "It looks good on you."

"Well, I do not want you to think I am putting on pretenses, I am  still just a plain old farm girl," Clara wanted him to understand.

It was nice of him to compliment her though and she promptly returned it declaring (sincerely) he himself looked quite handsome.

The cowboy looked  shocked, however, opening his mouth in mock surprise. "What's this? A compliment from Miss Redmond? For an Evergreen hand?"

"So it seems!" she smiled .

Suddenly he  went back to grinning as they stepped in time with the music. "The world must be comin' to an end."

"Well, I certainly hope not! Just when I am enjoying myself. Hopefully it will at least delay until after the dance is finished," Clara quipped right back.

"We'd have the most content stock in town!"  Emeline laughed.  "Perhaps I can learn to play fiddle."  But then her nose wrinkled up.  "I suppose it would be difficult to dance and fiddle at the same time, so I don't know what we'll do!"  Well, maybe she could invest in a simple music box so they'd have something to dance to besides nothing!

“Contented stock is one thing, contented folks , well, that’s what’s most important.” Maybe learnin’ ta play some instruments would be a good thing.” He had tinkered with the guitar on and off when he was in Texas, but not since. And if she was serious about the fiddle they could learn to play together as a pass time, maybe sing some songs as badly as he felt he sang.

"I suspect we won't have much leisure time for dancing for another twenty years or so, anyway, so we'd best take advantage of the chance while we can!" Between establishing and running a ranch, and (hopefully) children, they were going to be busy in the best way!  "By the time we can dance we'll be needing those rocking chairs!"

“Now see, there you go,” He chided, “see these folks all around? Ranchers, farmers and merchants, they all figgered a way to come have a time. We can do that to, childern or not, well, for a little bit anyways.” He grinned at her, “You’ll see, we’ll be here for the dances as they happen. Just you wait and see.”

@Bongo

Leah & Jonah

“Yes we will. Though that sort of thing appears to be a long way off, for the moment.” She said. “And, the situation may never come to the need to do away with Elias Steelgrave.”

"I'd like to think that it won't ever get to that, but I have no doubt of your concerns."  He smiled, a bit thinly.  "If you feel the need, there are ways that don't involve...violence.  It may take longer, but the causes wouldn't be so evident..."

He'd never really thought seriously about how to kill a person, but there were certainly medical ways to do that, and it would appear more natural, less suspicious.

And wasn't it interesting that he was at a community dance, discussing how to murder a man with a pretty lady!

@Flip

Addy & Barlow, indirectly Jay, Bridget and the Old Lady

Addy enjoyed the dance, even if a good deal of it was improvised, there was something about the fast dances that felt a little like flying, if people really could fly, and the Captain proved to be passing fair at the skill.  When it ended, she was grinning widely and panting just a bit.

"Thank ya, Cap'n, that was right fun!"  She noticed Jay then, doing something under the skirts of Miss Bridget, and then Old Lady Miggins started to carry on about...something. 

Addy frowned, tempted to go see what was going on, but then deciding that it wasn't any of her concern, she wasn't quite yet willing to admit that she might have feelings for Jay...

"Ya wanna get some cookies or pie?" she asked Barlow, her attention still on Jay, "Miz Emeline's a right good cook..."

@Wayfarer; @Jack; @Javia

Leah & Jonah

She laughed at the statement about ‘other ways.’ “Not laughing at you, Jonah. And yes, I agree with you, that there are other ways, slow, deservedly painful ways to die. But if it must be done, then a bullet would be my choice. Though slow and painful is what he richly deserves.”

Then she paused, looked him in the eye and smiled as she said; “You’re a good man Jonah, I would not ask you to be involved in anything as ugly as murder. We will build that hospital and the orphanage no matter what happens. There is land available, a lot of it. And I have the funds, thanks to Mister Steelgrave. So you see, the town council can only prove they are big fish in a very little pond.”

@Bongo

W&W

"I already got one girl who tells me what to do....a lot,"

"Sisters don't count!"  Although he didn't have a sister, Weedy sort of figured that they weren't girls in the 'girl' sort of sense, just like mothers and ladies like Addy.  They were family, and that was different.

"Why is that man looking under that lady's dress?  Wait, that's Mr. Ryker!" 

"Jay?"  Frowning, Weedy searched all the bodies below  them, looking for that specific one, then his eyes widened when he spotted the man...and the girl.  "What's he doing?"  Certainly, there was a good reason that Jay was in such a position, especially in public, right?  "He was dancing with her..."

Frowning, Weedy sat back and shrugged.  He'd kinda hoped that Jay might be sort of like his Dad, like Addy was sort of like his Ma...they were sort of a family, but he wasn't so sure that could happen now.

"Maybe he wants to marry her?"

Then Miz Miggins started railing about something, but Weedy couldn't hear exactly what.  "Oh, maybe she wants him to marry her?"

@Wayfarer

Leah & Jonah, later Jay, Bridget and Mrs. Miggins

“Not laughing at you, Jonah. And yes, I agree with you, that there are other ways, slow, deservedly painful ways to die. But if it must be done, then a bullet would be my choice. Though slow and painful is what he richly deserves.”

Note to self, Jonah thought, don't get on Miss Leah's bad side!  But there was really nothing to be said to her declaration, while he understood, at least some, and he didn't think any less of her...in fact, he was impressed that she had the moxie to stand up for herself, ironically likely a result of her life with the man she so hated.

“You’re a good man Jonah, I would not ask you to be involved in anything as ugly as murder. We will build that hospital and the orphanage no matter what happens. There is land available, a lot of it. And I have the funds, thanks to Mister Steelgrave. So you see, the town council can only prove they are big fish in a very little pond.”

"Little pond..."  Jonah grinned and chuckled.  "Not much room for all those big fish, eh?  Wouldn't it be a pity if they all started eating each other?"

Typical of people in power, once they got what they wanted they tended to turn on each other, and that was never pretty.

@Flip

Leah & Jonah

"Little pond..."  Jonah grinned and chuckled.  "Not much room for all those big fish, eh?  Wouldn't it be a pity if they all started eating each other?"

"Well then, that would solve the initial problem wouldn’t it. Actually they really present no actual problem, simply one which is perceived, by them.” She replied, with a smile at the idea of it.

Typical of people in power, once they got what they wanted they tended to turn on each other, and that was never pretty.

“Consider this, what’s really in it for Robinson and the others? A moment of what, fame? Overpowering a woman with audacity to try to give something to her community? Something that will prosper the town? They will take credit for the railroad, I’m sure, they are concocting a way to do that. I could care less about credit, I want to build the hospital and the orphanage, they can have the glory for all I care, it will do nothing for the sick or orphaned.”

@Bongo

Brendan and Clara

So Clara's family was from back east, too. Well, most everyone was, but for some reason Brendan was surprised that Clara was. It shouldn't have been surprising; the clipped, careful way she spoke should have been enough to clue him in to the fact that she was from somewhere up north. But Brendan had never really paid attention to girl's accents before; just what they said and the way they were looking at him when they said it.

"Well, I do not want you to think I am putting on pretenses, I am  still just a plain old farm girl," Clara wanted him to understand.

"Uh-huh." Brendan glanced sideways at the couple opposite them in the square to hide his smile. She might not put on pretenses when it came to clothes, but she definitely put on the pretense that she was a straight-laced, prudish little schoolmarm...and maybe thought she was better than other people?

But she certainly didn't seem that way now. At his joke about the world ending, Clara had a reply for him. "Well, I certainly hope not! Just when I am enjoying myself. Hopefully it will at least delay until after the dance is finished," Clara quipped right back.

Brendan grinned, beginning to enjoy himself a lot more than he thought he would. He had expected Clara to be affronted at his teasing, but instead she was joining in and joking right back at him.

"Were you not enjoyin' yourself with Charlie Wentworth earlier? He step on your feet or somethin'?"

He slid one arm around her waist and grabbed her hand as they promenaded around their square. It was another joke, but he was also fishing for information about the Lost Lake hand.

@Wayfarer

Emeline & Barnabas

“Now see, there you go,” He chided, “see these folks all around? Ranchers, farmers and merchants, they all figgered a way to come have a time. We can do that to, childern or not, well, for a little bit anyways.” He grinned at her, “You’ll see, we’ll be here for the dances as they happen. Just you wait and see.”

"We'll just have to pack up the kids and tote them along!"  Emeline laughed as she took his arm.  "After all, we shouldn't turn down free food, and the sooner they get married, the sooner they are out from under our roof!  And making us grandchildren."  She laughed, steering him back for the tables.  "Of course, if we have them learn to play instruments, then they can provide entertainment for the barn dances, right?  For the Centennial...oh, guess there isn't much time to practice for that.  We'll just have to wait for the turn of the century!"

@Flip

“Turn of the Century? If that don’t sound ominous I ain’t sure what does. “at’s fightin’ shy of thirty years, well, be twenty-four to be exact.” Which gave him pause. “That’d be nineteen hunder’d, reckon we’d have us a brood by then, growed an’ gone. Maybe not all, but some. An’ them all playin’ music, why, that’d be right special, wouldn’t it?”

But even a boy from Texas realized that what she was saying meant change, change beyond their comprehension to the land and to what they would become. Yet he smiled, remembering his early days, times that his own children would never experience. Not a conflict like that of the North and South, as the south was crushed and still recovering. And the red man, what would become of him? Times would dictate that. In an instant he snapped back to the moment as the musicians started up again. “Dance Miss Blakesley, while I can still call you that?”

@Bongo