Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "That's quite a bit of responsibility for a young man," Emeline commented, impressed.  "It shows a good deal of character."  Hopefully not at the expense of life in general and Clara specifically.  It was too easy to be consumed with your work and not have time for anything else.  but if he could find that time, Emeline thought that he might be the sort of gentleman that Clara needed.   "Well, you know he wouldn't owe me if he borrowed books, but I understand.  He does seem like someone that would be good for you to get to know better.  Maybe you should ask him on a picnic, I'm sure we can spare some fried chicken and a slice or two of pie!"   @Wayfarer
    • Well, she'd given it a good go, but Addy couldn't ditch the man , and unfortunately she wasn't wearing her pistol, since she was attending a meeting and not going out on the trail.  Of course, she supposed, it would be rather blatant and risky to just shoot the man on the street, so, she figured, it was better anyway to lure him into the barn, where one of the huge draft horses could 'panic' and trample him to death...   Such dark thoughts!  Addy shook her head, but then, she'd do whatever she had to to protect Weedy.   Turning to face the man, her nose wrinkled up.  He had the look of a lawyer about him...one that had been eaten by a bear and was fighting to get out!   "Yeah?  Whacha want?"   @Javia
    • “Well, yeah, she is. She’s nineteen now, getting to be an old maid, and what with bein’ too attractive for men to dare to ask her out, she’s scared she’ll miss the boat; she’ll just be left there to sit, all alone, on that big pile of money she’s goin’ to inherit when her rich old uncle dies.”   The way this odd girl was gushing on about this enchanting and soon to be rich gal was simply too good to be true. All that going for her and yet she was supposedly available and just waiting for some dirt poor young cowpoke she never met come and sweep her up? It was all a load of bull shit, Billy scoffed.   "Don't believe you for a minute, besides............."   He then came up with what he thought a brilliant excuse to get away from her and her madwoman schemes. Surely even this girl would not follow him into a bath house. Not to mention the owner would definitely kick her right out. Well, Billy did not reckon with Arabella alright.   “What d’ya want to do throwing away money on bathhouses for? You can have a bath for free, right now, right here!” she jerked a thumb toward the stairs. “Ms Deverau’ll have just finished hers. Water’ll still be nice warm and I can top it up with that kettle I just boiled for the plates. And she don’t tiddle in the water like some folks do.”    "Deverau? Ain't that the lady who owns this place? Like I am gonna go jump in her bathtub without a by your leave? She might well shoot me or have that bartender of hers do it. Word has it that man is a real killer too. I'm not taking that risk," Billy protested.   “Listen, I was watchin’ you playin’ cards in there, and you looked to me like a feller who was just about to have a winnin’ streak. So, you go have a bath, first door on the right…” she frowned down at his hand and then tugged at his right sleeve “… that’s that side, and then go back in there, get in the game, win a whole bunch of money, and you can buy Bridget Monahan a nice bunch of flowers when you take her for a promenade after church tomorrow. I’ll get Mundee to come and stand next to you at the card table and put her hand on yer shoulder, blondes are good luck for gamblers, y'know!”   "Bridget Monahan? That's this beautiful rich lady friend of yers? I know of her. She is some sort of a half-wit who wanders the streets all the time. Somethin's wrong with one of her legs too, limping about like she does," he frowned.   "Well no thanks, not to mention the fact i don't ever go to any church services. As for that bath, I was almost tempted but only a fool would trespass onto that woman's private quarters. I already got one of the Lost Lake owners wantin' to shoot me first chance he gets, don't need a big shot woman lookin' to do the same," once more he started to try his escape.
    • I think it wrapped up nice there.
    • [Sarah, Leah, Anaesthesia]   Directing her attention back to the young lady who was now addressing her, she took a deep breath, "Yes, I agree with your summation that Miss Steelgrave's plans should be looked at in great detail before a decision is made.”   “I am gratified that such an eloquent voice is joined with mine” smiled Anaesthesia, but Sarah’s initial sally was merely a feint. There was an almost inevitable ‘however’:   “I am sure the town council is doing just that and I hope we all have the good sense to know that those men will endeavour to make sure that they have all the information they need to do so.  Hence my question, which unfortunately now seems to have become an opportunity for certain ladies who are currently in the audience to disrupt this meeting."   Miss Orr might not have been a young woman of supernatural intelligence, but she possessed an undeniable advantage over many of her more cerebral peers, she listened. She smiled again, lighting up that angelic face, and held out an innocent white lace gloved hand to the older and wiser woman sitting on the front row of seats. “Then please, most respected Madame, will you not join me in asking her? I am young and silly and know so little of the world, but I do know that I must learn. For although our affairs may be so often in the hands of men, are not we, their wives, daughters, mothers and sisters, most often in the position to influence them so very strongly for what is good and right?”   Big blue honest eyes searched the shrewder brown gaze of the worldly wise writer from the civilised West Coast, who needs must either grasp that plaintiff offered hand or overtly reject it.   @JulieS @Flip

Addy was busy dancing with another man and once she looked his way, which almost made Jay want to run away. What was she thinking about him now? Dancing with another girl and even looking under her skirt. No wonder she had decided to enjoy a dance with someone else. Someone more respectable. Jay grit his teeth when suddenly he was face to face with an old woman and holy, shi*, did he almost jump out of his skin.

He instantly recognized the woman, who had taken a shot at him after the gang had robbed her place.

“Well, did she say yes?!”

Jay had no idea what she wanted or was talking about, he only wanted to get away without drawing too much attention.

"I was just trying to fix her fake leg."

“You know she’s a cripple, don’t ya?” Wow, this old lady had no shame.

"I am aware, mam." Jay replied, ready to leave the dance floor, hopefully without being discovered.

No such luck, though. While he said goodbye to Bridget, the old woman suddenly asked.

“Say … don’t I know you from someplace?”

Jay swallowed hard trying to judge the distance to the road and how long he would need to get there, how long the other men at the dance would need....and then he once again gazed at Addy. Whatever they had would be lost.

"I helped you after the storm. " He flat out lied, hoping that she would be just as easily fooled as most others.

Then he tipped his hat to her and Bridget. "Have a nice evening."

• Like 1

Leah & Jonah

“Consider this, what’s really in it for Robinson and the others? A moment of what, fame? Overpowering a woman with audacity to try to give something to her community? Something that will prosper the town? They will take credit for the railroad, I’m sure, they are concocting a way to do that. I could care less about credit, I want to build the hospital and the orphanage, they can have the glory for all I care, it will do nothing for the sick or orphaned.”

If there was a way, Jonah would see that at least one of the institutions was named after her, so that even years in the future people would know she was responsible for them.  But then it occurred to him that she might very well fight that idea, and he wouldn't do it without her approval.

"We can name them after you," he suggested, looking at her with a smile, "or perhaps after someone important to you?  Your mother?"  She hadn't really spoken of her mother, and he hoped that he hadn't crossed a line...there was a possibility that she wasn't on any better terms with her mother than with the rest of her family.

@Flip

Emeline & Barnabas

“Turn of the Century? If that don’t sound ominous I ain’t sure what does. “at’s fightin’ shy of thirty years, well, be twenty-four to be exact.” Which gave him pause. “That’d be nineteen hunder’d, reckon we’d have us a brood by then, growed an’ gone. Maybe not all, but some. An’ them all playin’ music, why, that’d be right special, wouldn’t it?”

"Indeed, three generations to ring in the twentieth century!  Well, the third will be playing rattles, but I'm sure there will be plenty of us!"  It was a good feeling to contemplate on a perfect future, although she knew full-well that fate could intervene in a heartbeat and dreams could dissolve.

But fretting on that was no way to live.  Sure, you could be wary and take precautions, but to let the fear rule you made life not really worth living.

“Dance Miss Blakesley, while I can still call you that?”

"I'd be honored, Mr. Pike, it will be good practice for our wedding, so I don't make a fool out of myself."  Smiling brightly, she walked with him to the floor, then joined him in the lively dance.

@Flip

"I was just trying to fix her fake leg."

Bridget wasn’t too sure what the fuss was all about; the old lady seemed slightly aggressive in her questioning, but Jay seemed defensive in the extreme, and she did what she could to weigh in on her friend’s side. Unfortunately, given her limitations, this only consisted of her pointing down to the offending article and nodding.

“You know she’s a cripple, don’t ya?” Wow, this old lady had no shame.

"I am aware, mam." Jay replied, ready to leave the dance floor, hopefully without being discovered.

He waved a quick bye-bye to her and she automatically returned it, but with a frown on her face which summed up her lack of comprehension and her concern that Jay was under attack of some sort by the curmudgeonly old battle-axe.

No such luck, though. While he said goodbye to Bridget, the old woman suddenly asked.

“Say … don’t I know you from someplace?”

Walking away backwards from someone was never a good look on anybody (although keeping company with someone like Lorenzo Crabbe, she had learned to do it quite deftly, despite her false limb) and Jay’s face bore all the faux-concentration and slight nod of someone who wasn’t comfortable with lying, someone who couldn’t do it glibly like Crabbe.

"I helped you after the storm. " He flat out lied, hoping that she would be just as easily fooled as most others.

Mrs Miggins’ eyes narrowed in disbelief: she had the eyes of a hawk and the memory of an elephant. She knew exactly who had been in that Church hall that night while she’d tended the injured, at the same time as admonishing the ones who were whimpering and carrying on. She recognized a great many people in this very barn from that makeshift hospital, and he wasn’t one of them.

Nellie Miggins raised an accusing finger.

“I don’t rememb…”

Bridget pretended to stumble forward and touched the old woman on the shoulder, which brought forth a howl of protest and an admonition to “Don’t go coming out here on that peg leg, girl, if’n ya can’t keep upright! Y’nearly had me over!” but at least it gave Jay a second to get in his goodbyes before the old girl got too nosey.

Then he tipped his hat to her and Bridget. "Have a nice evening."

The ginger haired girl deliberately stepped in front of the grandmother to wave him off and by the time she had rounded the obstacle, it was too late for her to interrogate the Englishman further. She peered at Bridget accusingly.

“Don’t bother sniffin’ around that feller, girl! Like most men, he’ll be wantin’ a woman with two arms and two legs!” she spat, before stomping off to look for Jacob. Bridget didn’t mind. Mr. Ryker was just a good friend, and one she got a warm feeling from helping, paying back a little the great favor he had done for her. But what the spiteful old woman had said hit her painfully in the heart when she thought of Brendan, whom she now turned to see laughing and chatting with the beautiful, clever, and four-limbed Clara Redmond.

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

"Indeed, three generations to ring in the twentieth century!  Well, the third will be playing rattles, but I'm sure there will be plenty of us!"  It was a good feeling to contemplate on a perfect future, although she knew full-well that fate could intervene in a heartbeat and dreams could dissolve.

“Three generations?” He asked, “Hadn’t ever thought about it that way. “Our kids,” Already thinking of several children, “Our grandkids, and our great-grandkids. Not too bad for a man what never looked much passed taday. Reckon tem rockin’ chairs’ll come in right handy.” Then he paused a moment to reflect on three generations.

But fretting on that was no way to live.  Sure, you could be wary and take precautions, but to let the fear rule you made life not really worth living.

“Dance Miss Blakesley, while I can still call you that?”

"I'd be honored, Mr. Pike, it will be good practice for our wedding, so I don't make a fool out of myself."  Smiling brightly, she walked with him to the floor, then joined him in the lively dance.

So it was, her and him having a great time at the community dance, doing their best at the callers directions, seemingly without a care in the world. It was about them at that time and place.

@Bongo

"We can name them after you," he suggested, looking at her with a smile, "or perhaps after someone important to you?  Your mother?"  She hadn't really spoken of her mother, and he hoped that he hadn't crossed a line...there was a possibility that she wasn't on any better terms with her mother than with the rest of her family.

Leah looked at Jonah, almost taken aback, then laughed again. “I’m sorry Jonah, you must think me a very rude woman. How touching of you to consider naming them after me, but no, I could no accept having either with the Steelgrave name emblazoned on them. And my mother, heavens no! She is as bad as my father, and has left him this past winter. No, it would simply not be right after all the harm my family has done in the area.”

Suddenly it came to her, “Kalispell Community Hospital!” She blurted out, smiling brightly, “And,” she continued, “Kalispell Home For Children.” Her eyes seemed to twinkle at the revelation of the names. “And a plaque should be mounted at the entrance with the names of the fist Medical Directors and such. Yes, that’s how we shall do it!”

@Bongo

Addy & Benjamin

The music ended to polite applause from the dancers and the woman thanked him for the dance, which he immediately reciprocated, "Thank you for agreeing. It was fun."

The floor now began to clear as they headed back toward where they had been standing.

"Ya wanna get some cookies or pie?" she asked him, "Miz Emeline's a right good cook..."

"I certainly would not turn down a slice of pie. Certainly, let's see what is available," he then followed her toward the table with the bakery.

"I don't know this Miss Emeline but I'll take your word for it," the officer smiled.

@Bongo

Brendan and Clara

Brendan grinned at her remark about the end of the world waiting at least until after the dance. So she could make people smile, Clara was heartened by that. Even she would admit she seldom indulged in levity, being far too practical for such silliness.

"Were you not enjoyin' yourself with Charlie Wentworth earlier? He step on your feet or somethin'?" he then asked her even they continued to dance,  him sliding one arm around her waist and grabbing her hand as they promenaded around their square.

Now in truth Clara had plenty of reasons to find fault with Charlie in the past but on this evening, he had certainly behaved himself. Plus it did not seem proper to bad mouth the man to Brendan.

"Well, I did enjoy dancing with him. Just as I am enjoying dancing with you," she replied, although it wasn't easy to converse during a lively dance such as this.

That issue soon ended as the music faded and this particular dance was done to a round of applause from the grateful dancers, including Clara who paused to clap. Then the pair headed off the dance floor.

"He did not step on my feet, he surprised me at how well he danced to be honest. Just as you did, I must compliment you on how well you did," she finished up on her interrupted answer.

"Thank you for asking me to dance. I confess that - prior to the dance - I was quite worried that maybe the entire evening would go by and no boy....excuse me, man ... would even take enough interest in me to ask," she admitted.

@Bailey

W & W in the loft

"Jay?"  Frowning, Weedy searched all the bodies below  them, looking for that specific one, then his eyes widened when he spotted the man...and the girl.  "What's he doing?" 

"Looking under that woman's dress," Wyatt thought it quite obvious, though why...no clue.

"He was dancing with her..."

"I wasn't payin' attention to 'em honestly," Wyatt had to admit.

"Maybe he wants to marry her?"

"Don't think that's how to do it though...." Wyatt was convinced men weren't supposed to be doing something like that to women.

Then Miz Miggins started railing about something, but Weedy couldn't hear exactly what.  "Oh, maybe she wants him to marry her?"

Wyatt frowned at the sight of the old woman, she was widely known as being a crabby old bat and he didn't like her.

"Maybe but seems to me that ain't none of her business," Wyatt reasoned.

Jay walked off then old lady Miggins leaving the red haired lady by herself then.  So another dance over, Wyatt wondered just how long this whole thing would last? It was kinda boring.

"Hey, did you get yourself a plate of the roast beef yet? I ain't. Wait....I haven't," he tried to self correct, even though his sister was not there to hear mangle the language.

"We should go have some," he suggested, cookies were delicious alright but he was still hungry and roast beef was not something he had a whole lot but sure was tasty. The only real good thing about this dance was the food afterall.

Wyatt.jpg

@Bongo

Leah & Jonah

“I’m sorry Jonah, you must think me a very rude woman. How touching of you to consider naming them after me, but no, I could no accept having either with the Steelgrave name emblazoned on them. And my mother, heavens no! She is as bad as my father, and has left him this past winter. No, it would simply not be right after all the harm my family has done in the area.”

"Forgive me."  He wouldn't feel pity for her, she had none for herself, and he was fairly certain that she wouldn't appreciate it.  "I'd suggest we name it after my own dear mother, since I may as well have been an orphan, but I don't think she would have appreciated the irony."

Suddenly it came to her, “Kalispell Community Hospital!” She blurted out, smiling brightly, “And,” she continued, “Kalispell Home For Children.” Her eyes seemed to twinkle at the revelation of the names. “And a plaque should be mounted at the entrance with the names of the fist Medical Directors and such. Yes, that’s how we shall do it!”

"I don't know that a plaque is necessary, but you are right about the name."  Grinning, Jonah nodded.  "Best to have the town name in it, so there is no question as to where it is, and it will bring pride to the town."  More than opera and grange halls, institutions that provided for the basic needs of a community were key to the degree of 'civilization' a place had.

@Flip

W&W

"Just had the cookies."  Weedy shrugged, then grinned.  He was stuffed full of cookies, but that wouldn't stop him from eating more, and besides, beef that wasn't in a stew was actually a treat.  "But sure, I like roast beef, and then we can have dessert again!"  After all, it was free, right?

He scrambled down the ladder after Wyatt and navigated his way across the floor to the table with the more savory food.  Not only was there roast beef, but there was pork, potatoes, a few casseroles, plenty to fill a boy's stomach!

"I'm going to try a little of everything, I think," Weedy declared.  "There's enough people here, I don't think anyone's going to notice if we don't clean our plates."  He'd eat most anything, but there had been a couple things he'd come across that just weren't any good.  "Well, except if there's liver...that can stay!"

@Wayfarer

Leah & Jonah

"I don't know that a plaque is necessary, but you are right about the name."  Grinning, Jonah nodded.  "Best to have the town name in it, so there is no question as to where it is, and it will bring pride to the town."  More than opera and grange halls, institutions that provided for the basic needs of a community were key to the degree of 'civilization' a place had.

“Exactly, Jonah! Naming them for the town means, in essence, it belongs to the town!” She agreed. “And, I believe I’ll withhold our name until after we’ve met with the town council, just to see what they have in mind, besides attempting to steal the whole plan just to feed their egos. Self important fools that they are.”

Yes she was angry, first at semi-retired Judge Ben Robertson, followed by the rest of the town council who would go along with whatever he said. And the newcomer, Charles Wentworth Sr., who owned and managed the bank. And even though she had trusted Mister Croft, Wentwworth was a different matter altogether. Gossip had it he was inquiring about her on behalf of the council. She found that quite interesting.

Her funds were no longer in Kalispell, making access a bit more difficult, but away from prying eyes. Her personal account was in Hungry Horse, Other accounts were in Helena. What to do about the grants she held? That would have to wait, for now.

@Bongo

There was only one thing to do. Get out before the old lady put two and two together.

Perhaps Bridget was becomibg his saviour now with how she was throwing herself in the way. She must have a good perception and was trying to help, which Jay was very thankful for. 

He quickly made his way to Addy and whispered in her ear.

"I'm sorry, Addy. I wish I could dance with you some more but I have to go."

Hopefully she wouldn't ask why because he didn't want to lie to her.

"It was lovely to see you. Enjoy the rest of the evening. You're in great company." He looked at Benjamin without a smile or anything alike. If anything it was an unappreciative look.

He really wished he could stay because he didn't want any other man to dance with her but he had no options.

Edited by Jack (see edit history)

Addy, Barlow, Jay

"I don't know this Miss Emeline but I'll take your word for it," the officer smiled.

"She has a little place called th' Lickskillet," Addy explained, "good, simple food.  Come from Illinois if I recall proper.  Her an' her husband, but she lost him an' set up th' place here." 

Resilience and the ability to adapt were paramount to survival out west for man and woman alike, but the rewards were well worth it.

"She an' Pronto Pike'er startin' up a ranch up by th' falls, once they get hitched proper.  That's them there."  She indicated a couple on the dance floor, then stopped to look over the table that still had a decent selection of cookies and pies.

"Lord'a'mighty!  I reckon as I could have me two'a each if no one was lookin'!"  Then she noticed Jay approaching and was fixing to introduce him when he just blithely whispered in her ear, spoke to Barlow then left.

Well, she'd come alone, and wasn't alone now, and she was having a good time, and had no particular reason to go after Jay...

"Tarnation an' lizard tails," she grumbled, then looked at the Captain and sighed.  "If ya'll be excusin' me, I'd best see what's chompin' at his hide.  Hadda fine time dancin' with ya, sir."

She gave Barlow a nod, then trotted out after Jay, catching up with him a short way out of the barn.  Falling in step with him, she gave him a light smack on the arm.  "What's got you so all-fired in a rush?  I was hopin' fer another dance'er somethin'."

@Wayfarer; @Jack

The smack made him turn around and stop for a moment. He had hoped Addy would not follow or ask questions because he had no answers.

"I'm not feeling good. All these people, dancing, music....maybe it's the punch."

He was trying to sound reasonable but was very disappointed himself.

"I'm really sorry, Addy. I came because of you, you know."

He briefly reached out to caress  her cheek.

"You're important to me."

Briefly he leaned forward to place a soft kiss on her forehead, which would hopefully not be the last.

Right now he had to leave and his gut said 'run while you still can'.

"Go back and enjoy the evening. You've earned it."

Leah & Jonah

“Exactly, Jonah! Naming them for the town means, in essence, it belongs to the town!” She agreed. “And, I believe I’ll withhold our name until after we’ve met with the town council, just to see what they have in mind, besides attempting to steal the whole plan just to feed their egos. Self important fools that they are.”

"The best tactic against men is to let them think that they are in charge, and know what is best."  He grinned, although he suspected she knew that.   "The bigger the ego, the easier it will be to bamboozle them.  And the best part is that those same egos keep them from admitting that they have been duped..."

He looked toward the barn as a young man emerged, shortly followed by Addy.  "Do you know that man?" he asked Leah.  He'd seen him around town but hadn't had cause to speak to him.  "Miss Chappel seems to..."  Well, he wasn't sure that the lady had any capacity to be 'sweet' on anyone.

"No mind, that's another lady that can see to herself...when she was delivering my supplies she told me she 'almost got e't by a bar!"  He laughed, then shook his head.  "Kalispell has many fine examples ladies if one is willing to look."

@Flip

"The best tactic against men is to let them think that they are in charge, and know what is best."  He grinned, although he suspected she knew that.   "The bigger the ego, the easier it will be to bamboozle them.  And the best part is that those same egos keep them from admitting that they have been duped..."

“Yes, that certainly can be true, in most cases. My concern is that these are not young men by any stretch of the imagination, and what works on the young men, or those not dealing in a business setting, since older men can also fall prey to a woman’s charm.” She smiled, “I believe that they have been meeting, either as a group or singularly, but that is conjecture plain and simple.”

He looked toward the barn as a young man emerged, shortly followed by Addy.  "Do you know that man?" he asked Leah.  He'd seen him around town but hadn't had cause to speak to him.  "Miss Chappel seems to..."  Well, he wasn't sure that the lady had any capacity to be 'sweet' on anyone.

“Can’t say as I do.” Was her response. “ Sweet on him? That could be the case, most certainly. She is a woman after all!”

"No mind, that's another lady that can see to herself...when she was delivering my supplies she told me she 'almost got e't by a bar!"  He laughed, then shook his head.  "Kalispell has many fine examples ladies if one is willing to look."

“That is true, she actually shot and killed the bear that a party of hunters went out after. Something of a local hero as I remember.” Leah informed him. “I must get to know her better, she’s one that would see the need for the hospital and the orphanage, I’m betting.”

@Bongo

Addy & Jay

"I'm not feeling good. All these people, dancing, music....maybe it's the punch."

Addy nodded understanding, she wasn't too keen on crowds and fuss herself, although she didn't mind now and again, and tonight she wad having a good time.  "Yeah, kinda stiflin', ain't it?"  As much as she understood, she had been hoping to have some time with him, laughing and kicking up their heels...

"I'm really sorry, Addy. I came because of you, you know."

While the confession, and touch, sent an electric chill through her, Addy struggled to continue to convince herself that she felt no more of Jay than a good friend...and it was a hard struggle...

"You're important to me."

The soft kiss, the quiet words, they broke past her barriers, and Addy knew then that this man was special, that she had more than just a deep affection for him, and that she didn't want to ever lose him.

But she didn't have words...

"Go back and enjoy the evening. You've earned it."

"Yeah, awright..."  Frowning, she nodded, wondering if she was reading more into his words than was there...after all, there was nothing final in them, but somehow the tone said different.

She started for the barn, but then turned back and kissed him soundly on the lips.  "Ya take care'a yerself, ya hear me, an' don't go an' do nothin' stupid, there's folks here what care 'bout ya....Weedy'll be wantin' ta show ya th' new house..."

At that, she shoved her hands in her pockets and headed back to the dance.  She wouldn't be staying long.

@Jack

It was a moment that he had dreaded all along. He should have never stayed this long and gotten this close to her. It was bound to be destroyed.

And he wasn't ready to end up on the gallows pole when most of the crimes had been commited by someone else. Jay hadn't murdered anyone but he had robbed banks.

Addy confused him. She seemed to like him but he didn't take that extra step until...she turned around and kissed him on the  mouth. 

It surprised him and made him smile despite the situation.

Then she walked away. Unsure what to do now. A second ago he was going to pack his bags and leave but she had just kissed him.

Walking away his face became contorted with confusion.

"Well, I did enjoy dancing with him. Just as I am enjoying dancing with you."

Brendan raised one eyebrow at Clara's comment. There wasn't anything wrong with being put on the same level as Charlie - or there shouldn't have been - but for some reason he found himself irritated. It was as if Clara was trying not to play favorites, which was ridiculous since she had no reason to think of him as her favorite after the incident with Billy and Greer.

The dance ended and Clara applauded while Brendan simply stuck his thumbs behind his suspenders and waited, then walked alongside Clara as they left the dance floor. He walked nonchalantly, as if he had just happened to be walking the same way. But he was listening for her to say something, and say something she did.

"He did not step on my feet, he surprised me at how well he danced to be honest. Just as you did, I must compliment you on how well you did."

"And I must accept your compliment, I s'pose.  Dancin' sort of comes natural to me - at least square dances and things like that." He grinned and tried to herd her surreptitiously toward the punch table. There would be time for the beer tent later on, but he was thirsty after two fast dances in a row.

"Thank you for asking me to dance. I confess that - prior to the dance - I was quite worried that maybe the entire evening would go by and no boy....excuse me, man ... would even take enough interest in me to ask," she admitted.

"Shucks," he said as he filled a cup and offered it to her, "I never have to worry about havin' someone to dance with. I always find somebody. But I guess it's harder for you."

He meant her being a girl would make it hard because she had to wait to be asked, but there was always the possibility she would think he was calling her plain or homely. Girls were touchy about their appearances. He suddenly thought of Bridget, with her too-fancy dresses and naivete, and glanced around the barn to see where she was. Once he had located her, he turned his attention back to Clara.

@Wayfarer

Edited by Bailey (see edit history)

W & W in the loft

"But sure, I like roast beef, and then we can have dessert again!"  Weedy declared.

"Sure don't know why not?" Wyatt thought it sounded perfectly logical. There was always room for dessert.

The boys went down the ladder and rejoined the rest of the crowd, they knew right where the banquet tables were, they could have been blindfolded and just followed the good smells really.

"I'm going to try a little of everything, I think," Weedy declared.  "There's enough people here, I don't think anyone's going to notice if we don't clean our plates."  He'd eat most anything, but there had been a couple things he'd come across that just weren't any good.  "Well, except if there's liver...that can stay!"

"Oh they won't have liver, they only have good food for one of these things," Wyatt assured the other boy as he grabbed a plate and got behind an adult couple in line. Soon enough he was filling up his plate. Twelve year old boys could be bottomless pits when it came to packing away food.

Barlow with Addy then alone

Benjamin accompanied the woman to the table where a wide assortment of baked goods awaited anyone interested. The cookies were almost gone but he was more interested in the pies anyhow. Addy was telling him about this Emeline woman who owned and made the food for the local diner. Things seemed relaxed and pleasant enough. That's when the man she had been with earlier returned and whispered in the woman's ear. Benjamin wondered what that was all about but wasn't about to ask, none of his business. The look the man gave him indicated he was not at all pleased the woman had danced with the officer. The jealous type, huh.

The man then left, Addy followed, and he lost sight of both of them into the crowd. The whole situation bordered on strange...yes and rude but Benjamin honestly had only wanted a dance with her and they had done that. So he picked up a plate and then helped himself to a large slice of apple pie. You never got food like it out on campaign and with the summer approaching he anticipated the cavalry would be busy what with all the Indian troubles.

Brendan and Clara

"And I must accept your compliment, I s'pose.  Dancin' sort of comes natural to me - at least square dances and things like that." He grinned and tried to herd her surreptitiously toward the punch table.

"Ahh, I see," Clara nodded, inwardly amused at his lack of modesty. Besides she wanted to add something else.

"Shucks," he said as he filled a cup and offered it to her, "I never have to worry about havin' someone to dance with. I always find somebody. But I guess it's harder for you."

Clara accepted the offered  cup with a quick "Thanks."

Again the man's lack of modesty was not the sort of thing she thought was very attractive. He might be handsome but that only went so far. And then his last line.....she was quite uncertain if that was an insult or an attempt at sympathy? But she was determined not to snap at him. This evening was for fun!

"Harder for me? How so, if I might ask?" she simply could not resist.

[Captain Barlow & Bridget Monahan]

Bridget watched Jay go and talk to the lady who usually dressed like a man, but who was, strangely, dressed like a lady tonight. All very confusing. Then the two of them beetled off. She herself was now just standing in the middle of nowhere on the dance floor, so decided to head back to basecamp: which was where the cookies were.

The leg seemed all right! Mr. Ryker had done a good job on it, even if he hadn’t been fully satisfied with it himself. He was a very nice man, but a total perfectionist in his craft. Bridget was happy that she could walk and maybe even risk a slow dance. She looked down at her feet as she walked forward, slightly kicking with her false limb to test it. She wasn’t looking where she was going and crashed slightly into something big and blue. The ginger-haired girl gasped and stumbled back, looking up at a handsome man with a black moustache and napoleon.

Her blue eyes were as wide as saucers as they glanced from the imposing officer’s face to his nice shiny shoulder straps with their gold edging, yellow filling, (to Bridget's mind, they were very reminiscent of Ms. Em’s custard tarts), and the two silver bars catching the light of the lamps that were quickly becoming the main source of illumination in the barn as the evening Sun began to dip in the West behind the cold mountains that overlooked the town.

If Bridget had known what to say, she wouldn’t have been able to say it out loud anyway, so she did what she did best, just shrugged and smiled at the man in uniform.

@Wayfarer

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Love 1

[Lorenzo Crabbe and Jay Ryker]

Walking away his face became contorted with confusion.

“Pssst! Ryker!”

The voice seemed to come from nowhere.

“Pssst! Ryker! Over here!!”

The well dressed, bespectacled figure of Lorenzo Crabbe peeped around a corner of a building opposite the barn and waved the Englishman over.

“Jesus Christ Ryker, what’s eatin’ you, you look like you lost a dollar and found a nickel!” queried the slick entrepreneur as he caught sight of Jay’s frowning physiognomy.

“Listen, how’s our Bridget getting’ on in there? I didn’t want to go barging in there and, you know, cramp her style, but a feller’s gotta right to be worried ain’t he? I’m the nearest thing that mutton headed gal’s got to a father, and I reckon it’s my job to fret about her every once in a while.” He leaned around Jay’s form a little, peering off into the interior of the barn.

“Shit, is that her talkin’ to an Army Officer?!” he asked, nodding his head up and down a little to increase the magnification of his glasses. Then he turned his lens-distorted eyes back on Jay.

“You look like crap, Ryker. Need a drink?” he asked in the manner of a man who actually just needs one himself.

@Jack