Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Montgomery the Pocket Gopher had proven to be lots of fun. Once out of his cage he had proceeded to run up Jemima’s arm and onto her head, and the homely looking girl had had to bend forward to allow Weedy to lift him off and give him a cuddle. Despite his vicious looking incisors, he never nipped at his human overlords, they who knew where the peanuts were kept!   Jemima had something else she wanted to show the diminutive lad, and beckoned him over to a glass tank, a miniature version of the one that Lamia slept in. She pointed to a small, anonymous looking spider in there, sitting grumpily under a bit of decorative tree bark.   “See that, that’s a fiddleback spider: they’re the most poisonous spiders ever. And if it bites you a great big ulcer grows on you and you die a horrible screaming death, foamin' at the mouth and blood spurtin' out of your ears and nose!" she said proudly, as if she were personally responsible for the tiny animal’s toxicity.   “And one time she escaped and we had to look all over for her, and eventually we saw her on the back of the Professor’s neck! And Mrs O’ screamed and near fainted, but I got a jam jar and coaxed it on in there and the Professor said I was the bravest girl he’d ever met!”     @Bongo
    • Her smile was a bit wistful as she added, "There's times I wonder if I wasn't born in th' wrong time an' th' wrong britches."   F. Falmer Browne gave an indulgent smile to this but said nothing. He would have to admit to himself that when he had first lain eyes on Miss Adelaide Chappell, now sat before him in all the becoming trappings of a woman, virtually dressed as a man on her wagon-driving expeditions in and out of town, he had wondered. True, male attire was handier for her trade, but she seemed to go that way at most hours of the day, except for very formal functions like the Ladies (so called!) Society Meeting of this morning.   When he had lived in the vast metropolis of New York, that Sodom and Gomorrah of these disunited United States, he had seen two types of women dressed as men: the first were demimondes of the stage, who dressed as ‘boys’ in fanciful tights to merely titillate their audiences (usually successfully, Browne had to admit) with a well-shaped leg, and secondly, some women of the more bohemian quarters who dressed as men because, apart from their physical form, they were men, in their own minds.   Walking with a friend down Broadway, he had seen two such women, walking arm in arm, and his friend had remarked “See those creatures, Browne? Disgusting! God must weep when He sees such sinful animals on parade. The police should arrest them and some Judge put the filthy animals to hard labor on the treadmill.” Browne had, cowardly he now knew, consented, but really wondered if it was not God Himself who had played such a rotten trick on them. At least in New York, teeming with every nation and type under the Sun, two such ‘creatures’ might find each other. For any man or woman ‘that way inclined’ out here in a small town like Kalispell, such proclivities must result in a lonely and loveless life indeed.   Addy’s talk of Jay Ryker and their evident love for one another did Browne good to hear, despite a slight pang of jealousy: it meant that this lovely woman was not destined for a life of loneliness. There must be others in town, though, hidden and trapped in their unusual sexuality, who were destined to ever drink from the well of loneliness.
    • "Oh, well certainly. If you would rather talk there. Anyplace is fine with us," Clara would have agreed to discuss it even if he had suggested the middle of a river. She just wanted to get it done!   The four of them shuffled back to the rear of the church and through the little-used back door, into the main part of the building where the pews were neatly rowed and the pulpit stood empty at the far end.   The man then offered, "I could fix something to drink? Tea perhaps?"    "No thank you, we do not wish you to have to make a fuss on our account," she gently shook her head in the negative.   “Ooh, It’s no fuss Clara! I’ll fix that, Brother.” Arabella gushed obsequiously “You three will want to talk privately.”   She would also, perhaps a little too optimistically at this point, fetch out a blank marriage certificate, for she knew where Pastor Evans stored them. In fact, she’d had a good root through most of the drawers and cupboards in his little office, off the vestry, and found some amazing and interesting stuff. Her favourites were a collection of pictures in a little book which, she assumed, the good Pastor must have confiscated off some sinful parishioner in the past.   @boshmi @Wayfarer
    • "All right, if this has anything to do with getting rid of ol' Klutz, then I'll do it," he said in a slightly slurred tone.  The whiskey was now starting to affect his speech, "Clara's gotta see that I'm the better man."   Crabbe nodded. He wasn’t exactly sure what he was hoping to get out of this situation, but he had made a living, the last six years of his life, by exploiting other men’s passions, and this young feller had passion in spades. Lorenzo recognised it for the sort of dangerous, jealous, twisted, brooding passion that so often haunts the hearts of men where women are concerned, and knew it would have to be handled with kid gloves to benefit himself any.   “Problem is, he’s ensorcelled her with these here love poems.” Lorenzo slyly took up a theme that Charlie himself had mentioned. “You attack him, she’ll just cleave tighter to the stupid lookin’ bastard.” He’d never seen this Klutz feller, but it didn’t harm to insult him in Charlie’s presence.   “We gotta work on her.” He said, thinking fast. “First of all, we gotta make you a more attractive proposition, er, make her kinda jealous of you, see? Make ol' Clara see you in a better light. Hmmm, you know any girls? I mean, not like Arabella, pretty girls.”   @JulieS
    • "Well." Thomas declared, sitting upwards in his chair. "I wonder what Arabella has gotten up to. I do hope I haven't complicated anything by bringing her along. Your wife seemed... er... unenthusiastic about her presence."   As if on cue, there was a crashing noise from the distant kitchen and Arabella’s voice sounded an “Ooops!”, but nonetheless, the two women presently appeared, carrying coffee and cake.   “Now, how are you two boys getting along?” asked Arabella, as if Thomas and Gideon were two five-year olds on their first playdate. Mrs Evans attended to the domestic stuff while Arabella jumped up and down, plexing her fingertips together with excitement.   “What do you want me to play on the harmonium, fellers?!” she asked excitedly, just hoping it wasn’t that well-known mondegreen “Bringing in the Sheep” which required notes that the poor old instrument could no longer sound. Arabella always had to substitute other notes in the same chord which made her playing sound like she’d invented jazz forty years too early.   @JulieS @boshmi

On 11/8/2020 at 6:08 AM, Adelaide Chappel said:

"Don't see as how that's such a bad thing,"

Jay was baffled and didn't know whether he should grin, blush or avert his gaze to hide his suprise. In his ears this sounded like being a couple wouldn't be a bad thing. They had shared the odd moment but Jay had assumed he simply wasn't her type of guy. She was probably into the real cowboys, not Englishmen with a shady past.

But she held his hand much longer than the dance lasted.

For a moment Jay got lost in her eyes and looked like a drunk fool but then he recovered and nodded.

"Let's drink something."

Together they left the dance floor and found their glasses from earlier again.

Then the Englishman took one of the cookies from a small basket and had a bite. "Hm, these are delicious." How long had it been since anyone had offered him cookies?

He broke off a piece and offered it to Addy. "Bite?"

Next to them two men were having a conversation about who to ask for a dance and one breaking the other ones arm...it was all friendly banter.

Suddenly Jay turned to face them to dish out a piece of good advice.

"Maybe you should let the lady know. You might find unexpected joy, if she receives it well. Tonight with the music and drinks is a very good opportunity....oh and sorry for listening. Your conversation was quite loud."

Charlie and Clara

"In fact, I would be delighted to dance with you, Charlie Wentworth," she actually smiled.

Charlie for a moment just stood there, shocked by the answer Clara had given.  He hadn't really expected her to say yes. After some gentle egging on by the Deputy and Mrs. Blakesley, he offered Clara his arm.

He guided her to the edge of the dance floor and waited patiently for the dance to begin.  Having no idea what it was going to be, he turned his head to look at Clara, "I have to tell you that I didn't really expected you to say yes," he smiled, "but I'm glad you did.  I am honoured to be dancing with the prettiest girl here."

@Wayfarer

OOC:  As suggested, the next dance will be livelier. Doing a bit of research, I found out that the galop was a very popular dance in the mid and late 19th century.

Here is an example of it:

The musicians now prepared to play once more after a hasty discussion of what should come next. The waltz had been a fine starter, prim, proper, and best of all easy. Now the idea was to play something livelier though and let the folks get their blood rushing with faster movement.

"Alright, attention folks!  Let's do a galop quadrille. Look out for other couples too. We don't want no one to get hurt!" 

And with that the musicians waited a minute or two for the prospective dancers to get out there and position themselves.

Present:   Charlie, Clara on the dance floor

Charlie guided her to the edge of the dance floor and waited patiently for the dance to begin.  Having no idea what it was going to be, he turned his head to look at Clara, "I have to tell you that I didn't really expect you to say yes," he smiled, "but I'm glad you did.  I am honoured to be dancing with the prettiest girl here."

"Oh gosh, that is kind of you to say even if hardly the truth," Clara nodded happily, "But you really do not know me, Charlie, I am - probably to your shock - a nice enough person."

"Oh, one of these!" Clara now heard the announcement and saw some partners heading out even as a few other couples seemed to decline this number. She knew this though.

"Well, here we go then. Do not panic, just do what everyone else does and when we are together, I can lead," she explained hastily as out onto the floor they went to line up with the others.

Brendan, Bridget, and eventually Arabella

Bridget didn't reply to his statement about getting cookies or about telling Clara how he had referred to her. She just walked alongside him to the table with the food, a smile on her oddly serene face.

"I liked are … dance," she whispered, leaning up to be able to reach his ear.

Brendan looked down at her with a grin, feeling for a cookie since he was looking at her. "Me, too. Come another waltz or slow dance, let's do it again. Cookie?" He held one out to her with a dazzling smile.

It would be nice to dance with Bridget again, if he hadn't found someone who was a better dancing partner and conversationalist by then. It wasn't that he minded being with Bridget, but he had come to the dance intending to flirt and he figured flirting would go right over the girl's red head. He had promised Billy to get the names of a few gals, so he had to dance with a few other girls before the night was up.

Just then, there was an announcement from the musicians about a galop quadrille. A gallop dance? Brendan imagined couples dancing from atop their horses and choked with laughter, which he quickly stifled so that Bridget wouldn't think he was laughing at her.

@Javia (Release the Arabella!)

• Love 1

[Brendan, Arabella and Bridget] 

Brendan looked down at her with a grin, feeling for a cookie since he was looking at her. "Me, too. Come another waltz or slow dance, let's do it again. Cookie?" He held one out to her with a dazzling smile.

She took the sweet treat from his hand without diverting her eyes from his, still holding his other hand, and shoved it into her mouth.

Just then, there was an announcement from the musicians about a galop quadrille. A gallop dance? Brendan imagined couples dancing from atop their horses and choked with laughter, which he quickly stifled so that Bridget wouldn't think he was laughing at her.

She heard the caller shout out the dance name, but it didn’t anything to her. It provoked a small reaction from Brendan and she tipped her head quizzically as she continued to chew the delicious cookie.

Arabella had made some pretty swift goodbyes in the Booze tent and had run helter-skelter back into the barn, wondering who she could corral for the next dance. She hit on Brendan, as he’d already promised her a couple of dances and was, therefore, effectively roped and branded already. Ignoring the fact that Bridget was standing in front of the handsome ranch-hand, making cow eyes at him, she quickly grabbed him round his free arm and started to pull him toward the dance floor.

“C’mon Mississippi! I want that dance yer promised me!!” she yelped, but he seemed to be snagged on something, like a stray muley calf caught in a muddy draw. She looked and saw that the cause of the holdup was Bridget,  holding fast to his other hand, with poor Brendan stretched in the middle like the rope in a tug-of-war.

Arabella frowned at the ginger girl and literally stamped her foot.

“Oh tarnation Bridg’! Let go o’ him! I needs him fer this dance! I’ll bring him back to ya in one piece, promise!” she reasoned urgently. The dance would start any minute, and she needed to give her partner a pep talk before it started.

@Bailey

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Harriet finally extricated herself from her bevy of clients with a subtle roll of her gray eyes. In the end, she had to remind them that she was staying in town at the hotel and that she would be in her office early on Monday. She had also added that the evening was meant to be a party, not a work day. Most were acquainted with the attorney's often acerbic speech and took it as the dismissal it was. This allowed Harriet to drop her business demeanor and tap her foot in time to the music. She was not concerned about missing the opening dances. They would be repeated before the night was over and it was far to early to worry about being the town's wallflower. That thought led to her smiling to herself. Not being asked to dance had not been an issue since her awkward teen years.

With a slight smile on her lips, Harriet turned slightly and scanned the crowd, noting several small groups of people talking. As her gaze passed the dance floor she saw Shade and his lovely lady, Kate. At this point, she blinked slightly, having never considered that the man would have any social skills of that ilk. Of course, that was not entirely fair either. Shade had been raised by a Spanish woman of noble birth. She would have insisted on her sons being well educated in all things. Eventually, her eyes lighted on Quentin and Lost Lake's foreman, Mike Wentworth. Definitely a good looking pair of gentlemen, she thought, although her eyes briefly lingered on Quentin.

For the moment, she was more intent on getting a glass of punch or even cold water. Even though they had taken the time to check in at the Belle-St. Regis and wash the road dust off, Harriet had not taken the time to get anything to drink. Now, it was time to find a cool beverage and actually socialize instead of discussing legal matters!

[Tags Open]

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)

"Maybe you should let the lady know. You might find unexpected joy, if she receives it well. Tonight with the music and drinks is a very good opportunity....oh and sorry for listening. Your conversation was quite loud."

Quentin turned to regard the stranger's words. His mouth opened to respond but he caught himself. It wouldn't be very neighborly to quarrel with someone at the town dance, especially since he wasn't wrong...just butting in. Quentin glanced over at Mike to see his reaction when his eye caught Harriet standing alone looking out across the people at the dance. Quentin straightened and turned to look at the two men. "I suppose both of you are right. Pardon me if I seek out much prettier company." He nodded to both and tossed a smile at Mike before he moved off through the crowd, cutting a beeline for Harriet.

Quentin stopped in front of Harriet and cut a very formal bow. "Now that you are finished with your legion of admirers, what can I interest you in first?"

Harriet smiled, her eyes lighting in response to his presence. She executed a pretty curtsy. She tilted her head up at him, "Admirers? Hardly. How anyone can want to talk of legal matters with all this going on," she waved one lace-gloved hand at the crowd, "is beyond me."

Cutting Quentin a mischievous look, Harriet added, "What you can interest me in first is something cool to drink. Shall we find the refreshments?"

Quentin took her arm and wrapped it around his, they moved through the fringe of the crowd until they reached the tables laid out with food and drink. "Well, let's see...there's lemonade, punch, water...and...cider...and even some beer...root and otherwise." Quentin glanced over at Harriet. "What would be the lady's pleasure?"

"Cider, I think," Harriet replied after studying the selection, "Hopefully, it has not been excessively spiked," she added wryly. "Are you enjoying yourself so far?" Harriet then laughed slightly, "How is that when we are bickering and arguing, I do not feel awkward in the slightest, yet when trying to make small-talk, I stumble all over myself like a schoolgirl? Is it because I hope things keep...changing...for us?"

Quentin finished pouring two glasses of cider and handed one to Harriet. "I am..." He blinked as she laughed then found himself grinning as well once she explained. "I admit I am more used to us throwing verbal knives at each other, so this does feel a little unusual, but I don't mind...you do look lovely tonight Harriet. I...am very glad that things have changed between us." Quentin was blushing himself now as he had tried to explain his feelings at the moment. He then gave a mental shake and held up his glass to hers. "To us..." he said quietly as they clinked lightly.

Tags @Stormwolfe

• Like 1
  • Made Me Laugh! 1

Addy, Jay, Mike, kinda Quentin

Munching on the half cookie that Jay had given her, Addy moved along with him, glancing at the floor as music started again, allowing as how it was assuredly best for everyone that they were not participating in this particular number, since there was a specific pattern, which she had know knowing of, and would likely cause chaos, and be responsible for carnage.

Besides, the cookies were good, and she was amenable to having more.

She hadn't been paying attention to what the men were discussing, only catching the last comment, from Quinten.

"I suppose both of you are right. Pardon me if I seek out much prettier company."

"Hey, now!" she grumbled, linking her arm into Jay's as she glared at Quentin with a playful gleam in her eye, "Jay went ta all that trouble ta get all gussied, an' he's about th' prettiest thing here, even if I do say so myself!"

Grinning, she turned her attention back to Jay and Mike.  "Seems in a powerful hurry, don't he?"  But good for both Quentin and Harriet!

@Jack; @JulieS

Matilda & Jonah

The waltz was relatively slow, and Matilda was a great partner, and Jonah was quite enjoying himself, thinking that he might try to monopolize her for the evening...until he spotted Leah, standing alone.  Not that he had any romantic notions, but he did sympathize with her, and Matilda did have other options.

"What's this I hear about there going to be a hospital for this town? Granted, any town that wants to someday be a city will need at least one of those. I lived in Chicago you see," one nice thing about a waltz was one could chat will dancing.

"Yes, that's the plan...it's in the works."  Jonah smiled, pleased that word was getting around, and that public support might be on their side.  "Especially since Whitefish is no longer habitable, some of the citizens think a hospital is a good idea, and I do as well, after all, we're a long way from anything like that."

He shrugged.  "I use rooms at my house as a clinic and for overnight patients, but I don't really have the proper means for that."  Then he added, "There is an orphanage in the works, too, if we can get the approval and support we need."

@Wayfarer

Emeline & Barnabas (Bridget & Barnaby, indirectly)

“Well, strollin’ around or dancin’, eithers fine with me. May a bit of both as the dance is young yet an’ the place ain’t really jumpin’ yet, so maybe we oughtta stroll about afore the place is to crowded ‘round the edges to do that.”

"A stroll it is.  The table will see to itself, folks are free to take what they like."  With the table well-stocked, it wouldn't need attending, and Emeline embraced the idea of a stroll in the cool evening.  "I like the town at night, when it's dark and quiet."  Well, that would be several hours from now, but there was something special about the stillness and the lights in windows.  Of course, Barnabas didn't need to know that she occasionally roamed the streets at night.

Then Bridget and Barnaby come back from their dance to have some cookies, and the couple was accosted by Arabella, eager to dance with Barnaby.

"Just a moment," Emeline whispered, squeezing Barnabas' hand, "I don't want to leave Bridget alone, she's..."  Well, there wasn't much of  a delicate way to say it.  "She's sweet...maybe I'll dance with her, if you don't mind?"

@Flip; @Javia; @Bailey

• Love 1

Present: Emeline, Pronto, Bridget, but not Brendan (or Barnaby)

"Just a moment," Emeline whispered, squeezing Barnabas' hand, "I don't want to leave Bridget alone, she's..."  Well, there wasn't much of a delicate way to say it.  "She's sweet...maybe I'll dance with her, if you don't mind?"

Although Arabella had brutally dragged Brendan off, Bridget still stared wistfully after him. She couldn’t even take her eyes off him to look at the table, and had to just feel for her next cookie with her hand. The plate now had more empty patches than cookie covered, but she soon found one and started to demolish it, burying the ache of longing in her stomach with sweet, sweet food, in the age-old trusted manner of many a lovesick soul.

What did get her attention was the approach of the Pie Lady. She turned to the kindly, pretty woman and then glanced behind her: the handsome beardy man with the nice shiny badge was there, too. Arabella had told her to explain to anyone who asked her that she couldn’t dance the fast dances due to a ‘slight indisposition’: a word that the simple girl couldn’t pronounce, let alone remember, so she leaned into Emeline and whispered “A can’t dance … not aloud fast uns.”

Then, realizing that he might need to know as well, but was too far away to hear her, she looked over to Shiny Badge and shook her head, mouthing the words “Can’t dance” and pointing to her legs. Then she looked between the two of them, smiling amiably while munching on the cookie.

Then, on a whim, she leaned in to Emeline and whispered "A like Bren'n." It felt wonderful to say it out loud to someone.

@Flip @Bongo 

Present: Emeline, Barnabas, Bridget, but not Brendan (or Barnaby)

"A stroll it is.  The table will see to itself, folks are free to take what they like."  With the table well-stocked, it wouldn't need attending, and Emeline embraced the idea of a stroll in the cool evening.  "I like the town at night, when it's dark and quiet."  Well, that would be several hours from now, but there was something special about the stillness and the lights in windows.  Of course, Barnabas didn't need to know that she occasionally roamed the streets at night.

“A turn around the floor an’ see who’s here an’ mebee who’s not’d be good. I thought Fer sure I saw Speed, an’ he was with Leah Steelgrave, of all the wimmen in town.” Pronto stated, not that he had a problem with the Steelgrave woman, but he wasn’t sure of the reception she might get.

Just the same, with everyone having such a grand time, he doubted there would be much of a problem, if there was one at all.

Then Bridget and Barnaby come back from their dance to have some cookies, and the couple was accosted by Arabella, eager to dance with Barnaby.

"Just a moment," Emeline whispered, squeezing Barnabas' hand, "I don't want to leave Bridget alone, she's..."  Well, there wasn't much of  a delicate way to say it.  "She's sweet...maybe I'll dance with her, if you don't mind?

“Mind? Ain’t no reason ta mind why you wimmen-folks do that all the time. So, sure. I don’t mind one bit, I’ll just guard the cookies. Proper job for a Deputy such as myself.” Pronto observed. It was common place for women to dance with on another without a second thought, sometimes due to the lack of male partners, other times on a whim.

Although Arabella had brutally dragged Brendan off, Bridget still stared wistfully after him. She couldn’t even take her eyes off him enough to look at the table, and had to just feel for her next cookie with her hand. The plate now had more empty patches than cookie covered, but she soon found one and started to demolish it, burying the ache of longing in her stomach with sweet, sweet food, in the age-old trusted manner of many a lovesick soul.

What did get her attention was the approach of the Pie Lady. She turned to kindly, pretty woman and then glanced behind her: the handsome beardy man with the nice shiny badge was there, too. Arabella had told her to explain to anyone who asked her that she couldn’t dance the fast dances due to a ‘slight indisposition’: a word that the simple girl couldn’t pronounce, let alone remember, so she leaned into Emeline and whispered “A can’t dance … not aloud fast uns.”

Barnabas watched as the one called Bridget whispered to Emeline, one of those girlie things he thought to himself, know how women would often share their ‘secrets’ in these sorts of situations. Probably had to do with a man, likely the one called Brenden, whom he didn’t know, but seemed nice enough.

Then, realizing that he might need to know as well, but was too far away to hear her, she looked over to Shiny Badge and shook her head, mouthing the words “Can’t dance” and pointing to her legs. Then she looked between the two of them, smiling amiably while munching on the cookie.

Barnabas was taken aback by the young woman’s confession and was startled when she pointed to her legs, which could mean any number of things too personal to divulge to a man other than her husband or betrothed.. “Dang” He responded. “Sorry to hear that, me, I ain’t real good at it either, al’ays steppin’ on the lady’s feet.” Which was a untruth meant to comfort the woman. He actually loved to kick up his heels, and yes, time to time he did step on the lady’s feet. Not that his were immune, consequence of the dance.

@Javia@Bongo

Mike, Jay and Addy

Mike turned to look at the newcomer to his and Quentin's conversation.  He was about to say something when Quentin spoke up.

"I suppose both of you are right. Pardon me if I seek out much prettier company."

As he watched Quentin head off, Addy then replied.

"Hey, now! Jay went ta all that trouble ta get all gussied, an' he's about th' prettiest thing here, even if I do say so myself!"

"Seems in a powerful hurry, don't he?"

"He sure is," Mike answered with a grin of his own, "It looks like spring has well and truly sprung.  Judging by what I've seen so far tonight, many young men's fancy has turned to love.  I, however do not plan to be one of them."

He smiled at Jay and Addy not knowing if they recognise the line from Tennyson's poem.  What he could see was something was brewing between these two judging by the way Addy had linked her arm with the man she was with.

"I think introductions are in order," he held out his hand, "Mike Wentworth."

@Jack @Bongo

Charlie and Clara

"Well, here we go then. Do not panic, just do what everyone else does and when we are together, I can lead," she explained hastily as out onto the floor they went to line up with the others.

Charlie stopped in his tracks.  What did she think he was?  There was no way he was going to let her lead.  There were Lost Lake ranch hands here and no way was he going to be the butt of their jokes.  The ribbing he was getting from learning the job was just easing off.  Something like this could make it go on for weeks.

"No, Clara, " he said in a serious tone, "I know you don't have a mother to teach you these things but in polite society, it's the man who takes the lead.  If you want to dance with me, that's the way it's going to be. All I want is for you to trust me."

@Wayfarer

One of the men took his advice much quicker than expected and hurried off to see the lady in question after making a slightly rude comment.

Jay couldn't help but grin at Addy when she came to his defense and called him pretty. "Why thank you...."

He didn't mind the insult. "Been called worse."

Then he turned his attention on the other man while the musicians started a new tune. It was much livelier than the walz. 

Generally people were in a very good mood tonight, chatting, eating, singing...he was glad he had come. Plus Addy showed him affection, which made his heart grow happy.

"Oh, you enjoy poetry....who wrote that?" Jay shook his hand. "Pleasure, Mike. I'm Jay."

What would he tell him if he asked more questions? Hopefully they weren't too personal.

@Bongo @JulieS

Edited by Jack (see edit history)

Present:   Charlie, Clara

Clara wondered if this particular dance might not prove an obstacle to Charlie, it was nowhere as easy as a waltz so she made the offer to help him out by leading when it was necessary. To her it was no big deal but she didn't want the young man embarrassed once he got out there and the dance was underway. However he suddenly stopped short of the dance floor. She turned. Now what?

"No, Clara, " he said in a serious tone, "I know you don't have a mother to teach you these things but in polite society, it's the man who takes the lead.  If you want to dance with me, that's the way it's going to be. All I want is for you to trust me."

Clara blinked. What ? Was he calling her lacking in the ways of polite society? This cowboy especially after some of his previous behaviors with her?

"My mother taught me quite well, thank you," she replied, "So, you have to lead then? Tell me, do you know how to even do this particular dance? So that you can lead?"

W&W

"Really, you don't know how? Oh well, it's easy enough. I can show ya how.  Don't worry I won't let ya drown. "

Shrugging, Weedy grinned.  "Only place in town to swim is a water trough, and I don't think those are really big enough!"  Oh, he'd waded in the creek, but that barely came to his knees.

"Just one thing though - when you come, if my Pa or my sister ask if you know how to swim, tell 'em you do. Otherwise they might be all worried and not let us do it. Adults are like that, they worry way too much."

Weedy understood that, and he nodded.  "Sure, can't have them ruin the fun!"  Well, there was one good thing to not having parents, although he was pretty certain that Miz Addy wouldn't want him to just jump into deep water with his friend and hope for the best!

"I won't tell.  Maybe we can ask tonight and I can go home with you?"  The stage barn was just up the street, it wouldn't take him long to grab a few things.

He peered over the railing at Addy.  "She seems kinda sweet on Jay, don't she...doesn't she?  Maybe she'll be happy, so she'll say yes?"

@Wayfarer

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)

Addy, Mike, Jay

"Poetry?"  Addy chuckled, her nose wrinkling up.  "Lots'a pretty words ta say somethin' simple.  Or just words that don't have no meanin' fer each other!" 

She hadn't heard a lot of poetry, but most of it seemed muddled and disjointed, a high-fallutin' way of saying what you wanted.

"Good ta see ya, Mike.  Been a while, but then, I ain't been out yer way in a time."  She hooked her arm into Jay's.  "Jay here's from Whitefish, settled here after th' trouble.  He's been helpin' out here an' there...smithin', mostly."

@Jack; @JulieS

Bridget, Emeline, Barnabas

Emeline was pleased when Barnabas claimed that he wasn't a good dancer either -- a little fib here and there wasn't bad when it could help boost the girl's self-esteem.

"He's done well, tonight," she confirmed, "only stepped on me once!"  Laughing, Emeline hooked her arm into Bridget's, urging her toward the edge of the dance floor.  "We don't have to do the same dance as everyone else, as long as we stay out of the way...and I don't even know this dance."

That was the truth.  It had fragments of a waltz, but was far more organized, and Emeline wasn't familiar with the pattern, so she and Bridget could just do their own waltz, if the girl was willing.

"So, you like Brendan?" she asked quietly, smiling.  "He's a handsome boy.  And quite the dancer, too!"

@Javia; @Flip

Charlie and Clara

"My mother taught me quite well, thank you," she replied, "So, you have to lead then? Tell me, do you know how to even do this particular dance? So that you can lead?"

"Yes, I know it, and you're right, I really don't know you just as you really don't know me."

Charlie took a deep breath, "Why is it that every time we meet we end up..."  He stopped as he didn't quite know the answer himself.  To him, Clara was fragile in the terms of you had be careful what you said around her.  She was somebody who seemed determine not to let anybody get too friendly.  Earlier, he mentioned something about being truthful, maybe now was the time.

An exasperated look appear on his face, "I try to be civil when I'm around you Clara but you almost always make it very hard to do so."

@Wayfarer

Mike, Addy and Jay

"Good ta see ya, Mike.  Been a while, but then, I ain't been out yer way in a time."  She hooked her arm into Jay's.  "Jay here's from Whitefish, settled here after th' trouble.  He's been helpin' out here an' there...smithin', mostly."

"Good to see you as well, Miss Addy.  The boys back at the ranch were wondering when you were coming over.  I think one or two of them are still trying to work out that card trick you showed them the last time you were there."

Mike turned to Jay, "I enjoy some poetry but it depends on what the subject.  I'm a bit partial to Tennyson, the one who wrote that particular line."

He briefly glanced over in the direction Quentin had gone and saw that he had finally caught up to Harriet.  A smile crept on his face, with the knowledge that there might be another wedding at the ranch before next winter.  It was already a given that Shade and the school marm would be taking a trip down the aisle soon.

Turning back to Jay, he nodded, "Jay...seems I remember my brother mentioning a fellow who did some repairs on the hotel a few weeks back.  Matt was very impressed with your work."

@Bongo @Jack

Bridget, Emeline, Barnabas

“Dang” He responded. “Sorry to hear that, me, I ain’t real good at it either, al’ays steppin’ on the lady’s feet.” Which was a untruth meant to comfort the woman. He actually loved to kick up his heels, and yes, time to time he did step on the lady’s feet. Not that his were immune, consequence of the dance.

"He's done well, tonight," she confirmed, "only stepped on me once!" 

Bridget gave a sort of hiccupping laugh at this, which she immediately stifled by covering her mouth, almost shocked at herself for making a loud noise. But she continued to grin about it. She liked these two: Pie Lady and Shiny Badge, they seemed to go together like two pieces of a jigsaw.

Laughing, Emeline hooked her arm into Bridget's, urging her toward the edge of the dance floor.  "We don't have to do the same dance as everyone else, as long as we stay out of the way...and I don't even know this dance."

Even before the dance had begun, there seemed to be arguments going on and partners giving each other orders, Bridget took one look at the squabbling, worried looking dancers and leaned to Emeline “They don’t neither.” she observed. Indeed, as she had said to Brendan, she wasn’t a dumb as she looked.

"So, you like Brendan?" she asked quietly, smiling.  "He's a handsome boy.  And quite the dancer, too!"

She nodded, with a happy sad smile both illuminating and clouding her face. She did like him, more than that, she loved him. At this exact time, she loved him wholly with all her soul, and she didn’t have the experience or knowledge to know that such a strong emotion might just be the whim of a moment, which might be forgotten come the dawn.

He seemed to like her, too, from what she could tell. But there was something he didn’t know about her. She looked over to where Arabella was talking to him. Her heart thumped. Her happiness crumbled.

She shook her head.

“Can’t dance.” She said simply, but out loud this time.

She looked up at Mrs Blakesley and then over at Mr Pike. They were so kind, and meant so well: they deserved to be lucky and find each other. They fitted together so well, and in a way that she knew, in her heart of hearts, that she and Brendan never could fit. She took Emeline’s hand and this time led her: led her gently away from the confused throng of dancers.

Her first dance, she now knew, must also be her last.

• Made Me Cry! 1

Brendan and Arabella

C’mon Mississippi! I want that dance yer promised me!" Arabella appeared out of nowhere, latching onto one of his arms and almost spinning him around with her momentum. But Bridget, who was still holding his hand, yanked them both to a stop until Arabella pleaded with her. “Oh tarnation Bridg’! Let go o’ him! I needs him fer this dance! I’ll bring him back to ya in one piece, promise!"

Brendan felt badly for leaving Bridget, especially since she had actually talked to him, but it wasn't as though he had much of a choice with Arabella tugging at him. He had time to waggle his fingers in a quick wave at the redhead before he was back on the dance floor.

"Hold your horses, Arabella," he said, glancing back to where Bridget was talking with Emmeline before looking back down at the gregarious girl, "I don't know this one. If you know it, you'd better give me a real quick lesson. Otherwise we won't get back in one piece 'cause I'll have stomped on your toes too much."

It couldn't hurt to admit that to Arabella. She wouldn't laugh at him, and if she did, it wouldn't be in a way that hurt. Dances were a place where you could almost make a fool of yourself and get away with it, but Brendan wasn't drunk enough to want to start making a fool of himself this early.

It looked like Clara was having some sort of lesson with the man she was dancing with too, but he couldn't tell who was doing the learning and who was doing the teaching. He didn't envy her dance partner if he was the one who didn't know what he was doing.

@Javia

• Love 1