Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "That's quite a bit of responsibility for a young man," Emeline commented, impressed.  "It shows a good deal of character."  Hopefully not at the expense of life in general and Clara specifically.  It was too easy to be consumed with your work and not have time for anything else.  but if he could find that time, Emeline thought that he might be the sort of gentleman that Clara needed.   "Well, you know he wouldn't owe me if he borrowed books, but I understand.  He does seem like someone that would be good for you to get to know better.  Maybe you should ask him on a picnic, I'm sure we can spare some fried chicken and a slice or two of pie!"   @Wayfarer
    • Well, she'd given it a good go, but Addy couldn't ditch the man , and unfortunately she wasn't wearing her pistol, since she was attending a meeting and not going out on the trail.  Of course, she supposed, it would be rather blatant and risky to just shoot the man on the street, so, she figured, it was better anyway to lure him into the barn, where one of the huge draft horses could 'panic' and trample him to death...   Such dark thoughts!  Addy shook her head, but then, she'd do whatever she had to to protect Weedy.   Turning to face the man, her nose wrinkled up.  He had the look of a lawyer about him...one that had been eaten by a bear and was fighting to get out!   "Yeah?  Whacha want?"   @Javia
    • “Well, yeah, she is. She’s nineteen now, getting to be an old maid, and what with bein’ too attractive for men to dare to ask her out, she’s scared she’ll miss the boat; she’ll just be left there to sit, all alone, on that big pile of money she’s goin’ to inherit when her rich old uncle dies.”   The way this odd girl was gushing on about this enchanting and soon to be rich gal was simply too good to be true. All that going for her and yet she was supposedly available and just waiting for some dirt poor young cowpoke she never met come and sweep her up? It was all a load of bull shit, Billy scoffed.   "Don't believe you for a minute, besides............."   He then came up with what he thought a brilliant excuse to get away from her and her madwoman schemes. Surely even this girl would not follow him into a bath house. Not to mention the owner would definitely kick her right out. Well, Billy did not reckon with Arabella alright.   “What d’ya want to do throwing away money on bathhouses for? You can have a bath for free, right now, right here!” she jerked a thumb toward the stairs. “Ms Deverau’ll have just finished hers. Water’ll still be nice warm and I can top it up with that kettle I just boiled for the plates. And she don’t tiddle in the water like some folks do.”    "Deverau? Ain't that the lady who owns this place? Like I am gonna go jump in her bathtub without a by your leave? She might well shoot me or have that bartender of hers do it. Word has it that man is a real killer too. I'm not taking that risk," Billy protested.   “Listen, I was watchin’ you playin’ cards in there, and you looked to me like a feller who was just about to have a winnin’ streak. So, you go have a bath, first door on the right…” she frowned down at his hand and then tugged at his right sleeve “… that’s that side, and then go back in there, get in the game, win a whole bunch of money, and you can buy Bridget Monahan a nice bunch of flowers when you take her for a promenade after church tomorrow. I’ll get Mundee to come and stand next to you at the card table and put her hand on yer shoulder, blondes are good luck for gamblers, y'know!”   "Bridget Monahan? That's this beautiful rich lady friend of yers? I know of her. She is some sort of a half-wit who wanders the streets all the time. Somethin's wrong with one of her legs too, limping about like she does," he frowned.   "Well no thanks, not to mention the fact i don't ever go to any church services. As for that bath, I was almost tempted but only a fool would trespass onto that woman's private quarters. I already got one of the Lost Lake owners wantin' to shoot me first chance he gets, don't need a big shot woman lookin' to do the same," once more he started to try his escape.
    • I think it wrapped up nice there.
    • [Sarah, Leah, Anaesthesia]   Directing her attention back to the young lady who was now addressing her, she took a deep breath, "Yes, I agree with your summation that Miss Steelgrave's plans should be looked at in great detail before a decision is made.”   “I am gratified that such an eloquent voice is joined with mine” smiled Anaesthesia, but Sarah’s initial sally was merely a feint. There was an almost inevitable ‘however’:   “I am sure the town council is doing just that and I hope we all have the good sense to know that those men will endeavour to make sure that they have all the information they need to do so.  Hence my question, which unfortunately now seems to have become an opportunity for certain ladies who are currently in the audience to disrupt this meeting."   Miss Orr might not have been a young woman of supernatural intelligence, but she possessed an undeniable advantage over many of her more cerebral peers, she listened. She smiled again, lighting up that angelic face, and held out an innocent white lace gloved hand to the older and wiser woman sitting on the front row of seats. “Then please, most respected Madame, will you not join me in asking her? I am young and silly and know so little of the world, but I do know that I must learn. For although our affairs may be so often in the hands of men, are not we, their wives, daughters, mothers and sisters, most often in the position to influence them so very strongly for what is good and right?”   Big blue honest eyes searched the shrewder brown gaze of the worldly wise writer from the civilised West Coast, who needs must either grasp that plaintiff offered hand or overtly reject it.   @JulieS @Flip
The Old Ranger

The Streets of Kalispell

The wreckage of the wagon, and those helping the driver and righting the wagon while gathering the mess, behind them, they started for the bank once again. Ahead they saw Quentin Cantrell ducking for cover. That did not slow them, there no further shots which could either be good or bad. There was no back door, a window, but no door.

They caught up to Cantrell the men with guns drawn as they looked to the bank. "Good to see you Quentin. Looks like we got 'em treed." Speed said.

Quentin smiled without taking his revolver off sighting in at the bank. "Happy to see you, too. I was worried that they might try and make a break for it. I don't know how many are in there..." Quentin nodded his head at the two bodies in the street. "That guy shot someone who ran out of the bank to warn everyone. Dropping him seemed like a good idea."

"I'm gonna  step out there an' see if they wanna talk, then drive their ponies off." Pronto said. "Danged horses are still in easy reach even with the shot bein' fired."

"Careful they don't ventilate you. Never hear the end of it from Emeline! "  he reply was a chuckle.

Quentin spoke up. "Hey, be careful. I saw movement over by the saloon. I think somebody is over there doing like me. Don't get shot by accident."

image.jpeg.48be81d9bf259071dd79e8771adae19d.jpeg

@Flip

Seeing the lawmen hustle over to another man, he looked vaguely familiar but couldn't place him with a name, Ralph now wondered if they were planning to storm the place from the front. Risky business. Right now the robbers, he wondered how many but then looked to the horses still held (barely) in the dead hand of the downed gunman. Seemed like no more than 3 or 4? Enough to put up a good fight. Still, every minute they stayed within the bank the less chance they had of getting away. And if they did try and go out the back or even out a window, they would still be on foot. No way they could get away for long when a posse went after them then. No, they needed horses or they were done for.

Just then he heard a shattering of glass but saw nothing out front. Had to be a window breaking in the back or in one of the alleys!

"HEY! GENTS!  SOMETHINGS HAPPENING! " he yelled toward the trio.  (Speed, Pronto, Quentin)

Quentin's head popped up and he peeked around the corner in the direction the voice came from. He glimpsed the form hunkered down and saw the barrels of a shotgun covering the direction of the bank.

"CHECK OUT BACK!"  he quickly added before resuming covering that front door.

So far his worst fear had not materialized.  Hostages!

Quentin glanced at Speed and Pronto. "What do you want to do?...This isn't my first gunfight, but I'll do what you say, Marshal..."

@Flip

Schoolhouse, Addy/Katherine

Kate saw the frown on Addy's face and she knew what it meant, "I'm afraid both Weedy and Wyatt Redmond have gone off to see what all the fuss is about."

"Well hellfire an' pickled turkey toes!" Addy grumbled, then quickly amended, "Sorry, drat!"  Couldn't be using cussing around little kids!  But then she shook her head and actually chuckled.  "Wouldn't expect less'a Weedy, danged fool!"  Of course, they were boys and the shooting would attract their attention.  Gunshots in town weren't that unusual, so there was usually no danger, but this was bad...

"I was about to go and look for them but now that you're here...well what I mean to say is that I will stay here with the other children and make sure they are safe.  If you remember, I know how to use a rifle if need be.  Besides, I've gotten some lessons on how to handle a gun from Mr. Thornton, so we'll be fine."

Frowning, Addy thought that over.  She did know that Katherine had moxie, and especially where the children were involved, she would put a mama bear to shame!

"I don't think they've been gone that long so you should be able to find them before they get into any trouble."

At that, Addy rolled her eyes then chuckled.  "They're boys!  They are trouble!"  Holding the sawed-off shotgun to Katherine, she added, "Both barrels is loaded, but th' kick's gonna be more 'cause she's shorter'n normal.  An' here's some extra rounds."  She offered a handful of shells, then nodded and smiled at the kids.  "Gonna be just fine, listen ta Miss Katherine, an' things'll be just fine."

At that, she nodded and bolted out the door, headed toward the bank, on the opposite side of the street.

@JulieS

Dade Marley was no fool, they hadn't expected any fool to sacrifice himself by running out of the bank yelling his fool head off. Well he had, and that got the Kid killed. So that left Bill and Arty in the bank, with the woman and the teller. But there were men outside, and they would be out for blood!

There before him was a saddled horse behind some business, well, they'd hang him for sure whether he stole the horse or not, he was in the saddle and dusting out of there like his tail was on fire.

He wasn't sure just which way to go, but he was already pointed north, meaning that was the direction, as fast as the animal could run. The burgh faded in the distance. He was hoping there was no one after him, he dared no look back just yet. There were rocks and a steep rise ahead, he'd check his back trail then.

image.jpeg.344f745a2e750509f07d033802537633.jpeg

TBC

Inside the Bank

Chaos broke out in the bank, and Emeline wished that she could shrink, or just get out.  At least she had a spot out of the way, and for the most part the men seemed to be ignoring her, and she had no qualm with just staying quietly out of the way, there was nothing she could do that would actually be helpful, and as long as she was pressed against the wall and stayed unnoticed, she wouldn't be in the way or hinder any rescue.

But then things changed...one of the men swore as he peered out the window, and as Emeline followed his gaze her blood went cold...Barnabas was just out in the street, exposed.  She had no idea why he was in the open like that, but she could see that the outlaw at te door was aiming at him...

Without any thought or consideration, Emeline lunged, shouting, "NO!" as she barrelled into the man, shoving him off balance and partially out the door.  At that point, she was inclined to just keep going outside, but then she was grabbed and suddenly yanked back inside...

@Flip, any

The shots could be heard from afar. Jay lived just down the street from the bank, so he heard them inside his small place. Startled by the unusual noise, he reached for his own gun and left the building.

It didn't take long for him to see the tipped over wagon near the bank, then the word 'robbery' was carried to his ears.

Damn, who on earth would rob the bank here? Instantly he froze, hoping that it wasn't his old gang, who had returned to pay the good people here a visit (and him).

He knew very well he should turn around and walk away, if there was a robbery in progress. After all his life here was on shaky legs.

But then he saw Weedy and another kid head up the back alley towards the bank. "Weedy!" He shouted after the boys but they had already rounded the corner and were gone. "Damnit!"

Knowing how much Addy loved the  boy, he felt he had to follow him and make sure he stayed away from trouble and wasn't guided by his curiosity.

So he followed the boys towards the back alley, trying to get their attention but they were too far ahead.

Edited by Jack (see edit history)

Back Alley, Wyatt, Weedy, Cole, Jay

Heart pounding, Weedy glanced back at his partner in crime and grinned.  Of course, any chance to get out of school was great, and cow hands shooting up the streets was even better, and it was fun to watch all the folks on the street scrambling to get out of the way.  But to do that, they'd have to get to Main Street.

"Let's go behind the bank, then go up to the street," he suggested as he waited for Wyatt to catch up.  There was still some shooting going on, and a lot of shouting, so maybe this was even more exciting than the usual stuff! 

But just as they were starting past the bank, the window shattered and two men jumped out, causing Weedy to skid to a stop.  And as one ran off, the other drew his pistol on the boys.

"Don't you two move or by the Lord Harry I'll kill ya both!"

The man reached out and grabbed Wyatt, who had passed Weedy by a few steps as he stopped, and Weedy was inclined to lash out and kick the guy, but he had a gun, and his friend, so he just stopped...

@Wayfarer; @Flip; @Jack (in that order, I think)

In the Street/Lickskillet, Bridget & (clueless) Jonah, Clara

At least the young woman was willing to be led out of the street, and as Jonah glanced toward the bank he could see one of the law men running up to the front, so it was evident that something was going to happen soon, and they needed to be off the street.

“Where can… where can we go?” she asked.

"We'll just go inside the cafe here, all right?"  He nodded to the door of the closest building, the Lickskillet, just wanting to be clear of the street, and not at all understanding what the girl was asking.  "You're Bridget, right?  I saw you at the dance." 

Her limp was making the going painfully slow, but they eventually reached the door and he pushed, not considering that whoever was inside might not be welcoming patrons at the moment...

@Javia; @Wayfarer

From his position behind the horse trough across the street, Ralph kept ready, fully prepared to cover the lawmen and any others who were going to close in on the bank at least from the front. He couldn't do much about the back or sides though without moving and he quite was satisfied where he was.

Pronto was moving then but not heading for the bank door (a rash move that would have been in Ralph's opinion) but instead apparently going for the horses. Yes, chase off the robbers' string of horses and their chances of escape would be pretty much nil. He had been momentarily distracted by the deputy's movement until he heard a woman's cry and his eyes went right back to the bank itself. He couldn't see much of the woman but she had just given a mighty shove to an armed cowboy whose apparent aim had then been spoiled and his shot hit the dirt near the deputy instead of the lawman himself.

That's all Ralph needed, he raised the long barreled shotgun (unlike many saloons, the Star Dust did not have a sawed off version) and fired, this was more a hunting gun so could easily enough range across a street. Ralph had been in the Union army in the war and knew how to shoot. He didn't want to hit the female who seemed to have just as suddenly disappeared (been yanked back into the building it turned out) so he aimed a bit more to the left side of his target.

Obviously Artie was completely knocked off balance by the woman's treacherous attack from behind and found himself half tripping outside onto the boardwalk, his own shot turning out to be a bad miss. Before he could fall back into the bank, he felt a hard punch to his left upper arm and blinding instant pain. He dropped his weapon and half fell half leaned against the outside wall of the bank. His mind tried to process just what happened?

Ralph let go of the shotgun and drew his revolver then cocked the hammer back with his thumb and aimed. He'd hit the outlaw but while the man might well bleed out he was not dead yet. He meant to finish what he started. He then proceeded to fire three more shots at the fellow. His first shot missed but his next two were better striking the man in the torso. With grim satisfaction Ralph peered thru the acrid smoke from the pistol to see his target drop to the boardwalk like a heavy sack of grain. A twitch or two and the man was still.

"Take that you sonofabitch," Ralph muttered in satisfaction.

"Let's go behind the bank, then go up to the street," Weedy had paused to wait for him making it easy for Wyatt to catch up.

"Yeah but let's not run out in the open, " Wyatt pointed out, he was excited but even he knew enough not to do something crazy if some cowboys were shooting up the place.

But just as they were starting past the bank, the window shattered and two men jumped out, causing Weedy to skid to a stop. Wyatt had taken another two steps before doing the same. Whoa! He'd never seen anybody do something crazy like that!

One of them immediately took off like he was being chased by a ghost. But the other noticed him and Weedy. And he drew his gun out !!  Wyatt was wide eyed, too shocked to run.

"Don't you two move or by the Lord Harry I'll kill ya both!"

Wyatt started to raise both hands like one might do if it was a hold up but ....

The man reached out and grabbed him hard by the upper arm, pulling him in close. Wyatt just froze not knowing what he should try and do. Why had they been so stupid to do this????? Pa was going to kill him. Well...if he lived that is.

westrpgson2.jpg

Jays pace had changed to a jog as he tried to get to Weedy before the boy could get too close to the bank. Curiostity killed the cat was not an option here because Jay knew that Addy loved the boy like a son and he had also frown very fond of the kid.

As he rounded the corner of the narrow back alley where a lot of people had stored their trash and things they didn't need at the moment.

He saw the boys very close to the bank, so he started running, when suddenly someone broke through the window from the inside and had a gun held to Weedy's friends head.

"Sh*t." Jay gasped and ducked behind an old cart, that was leaning against on the the back walls.

What should he do now? Walking away would be clever when it came to his own well being. But everything inside him screamed 'Don't abandon Weedy.'

So he poked his head out again just to see that the man was still holding a gun and was advancing towards him.

Weedy wasn't a captive but he didn't abandon his friend, which in fact was courageous and what a good friend should do.

Jay found encouragement in the fact that he himself had robbed a bank and was a tough guy. He also knew the man wanted to get away as quickly as possible.

So he left his hiding spot and advanced with his gun at aim until he was within shooting range.

"Let the boy go!" He hollered down the back alley in a commanding tone, that left no room for discussion.

"Weedy, behind me! Now!"

He needed at least one captive out of the way for a good bargaining position.

If he then shot the other boy, he'd be gunned down as well. And he would know that. Unless he was too stupid or anxious.

Edited by Jack (see edit history)

Stepping into the street, Pronto sized up the situation with the horses. He was surprised the man dead as dead could be, still held the reins in his outstretched hand.

"You in the bank, this is the law." Pronto side-stepped closer to the nearest of the horses,  for cover, he estimated a good tug would free the horses. "You throw them guns out and come real peaceable like we won't shoot!" He knew one thing was certain, that door would open, what would happen next was anybodies guess. He pulled his gun  and with the other gave a health yank on the leather bundle, nothing!

The door opened and the muzzle of a Colt stuck out toward him. Then he heard Em scream "NO!" and the man with the pistol fired. He was knocked on the ground with a boot heel missing and a cloud of dirt obscuring his aim when the bark of a shotgun could be heard,  and as the dust tailed away, he saw the man with a bloodied shoulder and for sure two streaming holes in his torso.

Arty dropped to the boardwalk, his life blood oozing out. "Bill, I-I'm killed." And with that he passed over.

Bill's face was twisted in rage! two were dead, two had run off leaving him alone to face the men outside. He held the woman tightly trying to come up with a plan, but there was none that didn't involve Bill Marley stepping through that door way.

They wouldn't shoot the girl, he was confident about that, but what then? He could shove her aside as he  grabbed a horse and then ride out hanging on the side a poor target at best, yes that was the plan!

Bill Marley shoved Emeline forward, out the door,  off the boardwalk into the street, and shoved her away as he grabbed a set of reins and yanked as hard as he could to free them, that too went his way.

Pronto snapped off three shots, every one finding it mark in the horse, one in the saddle, one in the neck and the last in the horses head, it dropped exposing Bill who was in the act of cocking his gun.

Quentin had swung out from the corner he had been behind. He moved forward to try and get on the side of the remaining outlaw while he was focused on the deputy. He walked steady and normal, not trying to draw any attention. His revolver was held down along his right leg as he moved, watching the confrontation in front of the bank.

Quentin was not sure what the deputy's plan was until the outlaw shoved the woman he had been holding out into the street as he went for the horse's reins. Quentin took another step and was surprised when the deputy drew and fired, surprised at his speed as he eliminated the horse as an option for the outlaw, the killing of the horse leaving the outlaw exposed on the street.

Quentin stopped walking, the last step turning him around so he was side on to the outlaw down the street. His left arm tucked to the small of his back as his right arm swept up, thumb cocking the hammer as he sighted down the barrel. It was a bit of a reach for a handgun but Quentin wasn't trying to do anything but keep the robber from hitting anyone if he got off a shot. He took half a heartbeat to aim and touched off the pistol. The bang was always a bit of a surprise when you did it right. The robber disappeared in a cloud of smoke but the breeze moved the smoke quickly. Quentin saw a blotch of red appear on the robber's side and knew it was too low to be fatal...

image.jpeg.f7dac1b369e3c5d707dba9185ec18249.jpegimage.jpeg.fe295b0f9f23f99e1fd8e1de2ef968d4.jpegimage.jpeg.d8b040d52b570929580ed7de25353563.jpeg

@Wayfarer@Longshot@Bongo

• Like 1

If he then shot the other boy, he'd be gunned down as well. And he would know that. Unless he was too stupid or anxious.

Simpson looked at the man and spit. “Well now, I guess it’s against me now.  Alla that shootin’ I jest might be all that’s left. But you ain’t gonna shoot, you don’t wanna chance this young’n gettin’ kilt. So yer bluff falls flat.” He laughed. “Weedy, that’‘s a awful dumb name, must be buckin’ ta be a farm hand. Second thought. I’ll shoot him first, then you!” Cole Simpson wasn’t the smartest of the bunch, Dade had run off and left him, and he was afraid he was right, he was afraid that he was all that was left of the gang.

Yet he somehow had the idea that he had the upper hand in this thing, that he could bargain with the child’s life. Whoever this man was, he didn’t look like much because he would have fired already. “Mister you fetch me up one a them ponies out front, I’ll give ya this here lad. Whadda ya say Mister? They won’t shoot you, less acourse they don’t know ya, Hell they might just think yer one a us.” Then he laughed at his own joke, if that’s what it was.”

image.jpeg.de6c66f627b2f6963086c178b8528aeb.jpeg

@Jack

Behind the Bank, Wyatt, Weedy, Jay, Cole

Even with Wyatt being pulled away by the bank robber, Weedy wasn't going to run, but there really wasn't anything he could do at the moment, and then he heard a familiar voice behind him.

"Let the boy go!"

"Jay!"  Well, there was some hope now!  Jay would take care of things.  Weedy turned to look toward his friend who was still behind cover.

"Weedy, behind me! Now!"

For a few heartbeats, Weedy hesitated, glancing at Wyatt then back to Jay.  He didn't want to leave his friend, but there wasn't anything he could do, and he knew that he would only be in the way if he didn't listen, so he darted behind jay, gripping his fingers into the back of the man's shirt.

@Wayfarer; @Jack; @Flip

Emeline had no choice but to go with the man, but that didn't mean she had to make it easy on him.  As much as she could, she dug in her heels, forcing him to slow a bit and push her.  As they got outside, she looked around, relieved to see that Barnabas was all right, and drawig some hope from all the people gathered around.

As soon as he was in the street, the man dragged her toward a horse, then shoved her, sending her to her hands and knees in the dirt, and it took her a few seconds to catch her breath, the sound of gunshots ringing in her ears.

It was funny, but she was more worried for the horse as Barnabas started shooting at it, and although she understood the need, it seemed such a sad waste.  After all, the horse had nothing to do with anything and...

...And it was dropping toward her, she needed to get out of the way but as she rolled and scrambled back she got tangled in her skirts, and the gunman was still looming over her...

Digging in her pocket, she pulled out the derringer and pulled the trigger, barely taking time to aim...

@Longshot; @Wayfarer; @Flip

(She probably didn't hit anything)

[Behind the bank, Weedy, Wyatt and the robber]

"Good boy. Now hide!" Jay told Weedy once he was safely behind him, much to the anger of the bank robber.

Jay then stepped forward to face the man. Sure, he was a bit nervous but he needed to show now fear.

"I'm not going to fetch you a pony." He firmly said.

"But you're going to let go of the boy." His statement left no room for argument.

"I know what you want. You're not here to gun people down, you want to get away quick with whatever you have in your pockets. So go, do that."

Jay saw the hesitation in the robbers eyes. If he let Wyatt go, he'd be uncovered.

"I swear, if you harm the boy, I'll gun you down."

He moved closer to put pressure on the guy.

"I'm not going to fetch you a pony." He firmly said.

Cole Simpson sneered then jerked the boy closer, moving his pistol from the boy yo the man, back and forth a couple times, then trained it on the stranger.

"But you're going to let go of the boy." His statement left no room for argument.

"I know what you want. You're not here to gun people down, you want to get away quick with whatever you have in your pockets. So go, do that."

Jay saw the hesitation in the robbers eyes. If he let Wyatt go, he'd be uncovered.

"I swear, if you harm the boy, I'll gun you down."

He moved closer to put pressure on the guy.

“Run? Run where?” Simpson asked. Where was he going to go afoot? How far before they ran him down and shot him, if not, he’d swing for sure. They were going to get Bill, he was sure of that. This rube was pointing a gun at him, but he too was armed and his piece was on the man now. Hammer back.

Had the yokel even cocked his pistol, he was all bluff, Cole was sure of that he could win this standoff, but it was beginning to sink in, there really was no escape this time. Bill Marley’s plan had dissolved into an unwinnable situation. One way or another he was a dead man. He shoved the boy aside and faced the hayseed. It would be better this way, kill this one and maybe he’d get lucky, maybe...

“You best get ta shootin’ then!” He pulled the trigger, no he jerked it and the shot missed.

image.jpeg.c5cb4981752b6ebd1f42feb4f7366242.jpeg

@Jack@Bongo

Wyatt was terrified as he listened to the exchange between the two men, both men had guns and here he was right in the middle of it all, unable to get away. He thought about trying to kick his captor or just plain pull away but that might only make him mad and more likely to shoot him. He, in the end, was too scared to do anything other than stand there and hope he wasn't going to die. He bet being shot was going to be really painful.

He got lucky though.

Simpson shoved the boy aside and faced the hayseed. It would be better this way, kill this one and maybe he’d get lucky, maybe...

“You best get ta shootin’ then!” He pulled the trigger, no he jerked it and the shot missed.

Just as soon as he was released then shoved, Wyatt saw his chance and ran for it. He raced past his captor for the main street, just wanting to get out of that alley but it had the advantage that if the man had changed his mind to shoot him, he would have to turn around and expose his back to Jay. Not that Wyatt actually planned it that way, he just wanted to get as far away as fast as possible.

westrpgson.jpg

It was incredibly stupid ofvthe bank robber to let his hostage go. It was the only leverage he had to get out of here unscathed. But as soon as they boy was gone he was a target. And maybe he had just given up? 

He aimed his gun at Jay, sending a jolt of adrenaline through his body, but the shot missed and Jays gun was locked and loaded.

The former Outlaw did not hesitate to pull the trigger and send a bullet towards the man. 

Unfortunately a little low to kill him with one shot. He had never had the greatest skillset for an Outlaw.

Back/Side Alley

Trotting along the boardwalk, Addy was having a hard time seeing past the overturned wagon that was obscuring her view of the bank and what was going on out front there.  No matter, she was going to slip between the buildings, suspecting that the boys were in the back alley, since she hadn't spotted them yet.  She just hoped that Weedy had the good sense to keep away from the bank itself, but , like any boy, he was fascinated by the excitement, and she really couldn't say that she blamed him.

Moving off Main Street, she skirted between buildings, sprinting when she heard the gunshots from behind the bank, and startled when Wyatt suddenly was dashing in her direction.

She moved in to stop the boy, grasping him by the shoulders to stop him, but also turning him so that her back was toward the alley, to shield him.  "Where's Weedy?  Wyatt?  Ya all right?"

The lad didn't seem scathed, but she needed to be sure.

@Wayfarer; @Jack; @Flip

Wyatt came rushing out of the alley and almost ran smack dab into an armed Addy, the boy was wide eyed.  Just then there were two shots back there.

Addy moved in to stop the boy, grasping him by the shoulders to stop him, but also turning him so that her back was toward the alley, to shield him.  "Where's Weedy?  Wyatt?  Ya all right?"

"THERE'S A MAN IN THE ALLEY WHO JUMPED THRU A WINDOW. HE'S GOT A GUN!  WEEDY IS WITH MR. RYKER!" the boy yelled much louder than he needed to in his excitement.

An outlaw emerged out of the bank heading for the horses, he had a woman as a shield but when he got close enough to make a grab for a horse's reins, that's went it all went wild. Down went the woman as the outlaw let her go, the deputy opened fire and killed the horse! Another shot was fired but the outlaw was still up on his feet. That spunky woman pulled a derringer and fired up at the luckless fellow too.

Ralph was up now and steadily walking in the direction of the fracas, his revolver aimed and cocked. When he was sure he had a shot he was going to drop that sonofabitch.

Bill Marley stood wide legged, a stunned look on his face. He'd been shot. He touched the flowing wound then looked at his bloody hand, and then back at the men across the street.

This was all wrong, they should be riding out with the money. He stumbled a step forward.

"Don't do it!" the man with the badge yelled at him. "Drop the gun!" 

It hurt, the pain was emerging as he steadied himself, brow furrowed. 'The sonsabitches had shot him!' He managed a step that helped hold him upright. Slowly, he began to raise his gun hand intent on a measure of revenge.

image.jpeg.fe295b0f9f23f99e1fd8e1de2ef968d4.jpeglarge.cullen8B.jpg.fba68a020d322a8b048562cb2238d26f.jpg

@Wayfarer@Longshot

ooc: Not sure if I should be waiting on Javia as he was tagged next but maybe he's waiting on me? Anyhow we better move cuz the robbery is almost over.

Clara was stunned to see all that was going on out there - sheer chaos as shots rang out. One..no two bodies on the street and they weren't moving. It was the bank, somebody was robbing the bank!  Emeline went there! Clara didn't know what to do. There was a weapon in the kitchen but  that would be crazy. She wouldn't only make things worse going out there and there plenty of menfolk with guns in this town. All she could was hope Emeline was safe.

That's when she saw a man shepherding Bridget toward the cafe and quickly opened the door to allow them immediate entrance. Bridget didn't appear to be injured thankfully nor did the well dressed handsome man helping her. He looked familiar, she had seen him about town. Yes, it was the doctor not that she had ever met the man formally.

"Hurry, come in! Bridget are you alright?" Clare greeted them.

As for the gentleman, "Doctor I believe...I am Clara Redmond. I know Bridget, we are friends."

@Javia  @Bongo