Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• F. Falmer Browne was as impressed with Addy’s barn and selection of transportation impedimenta, including the draught animals who pulled the things as he was with Addy herself.   “Splendid! Splendid!” was all he could say as he peered about the place with a quick and intelligent eye. “A veritable Aladdin’s Cave!”   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   The slightly eccentric older gentleman approached the vehicle in question, hands clasped behind his back, head bent forward slightly, in a pose of complete and curious absorption – as if he was seeing, for the fist time, some fabulous beast of lore. He ducked down, quite lithely for his age, and came up again smiling broadly at Addy, a look of supreme satisfaction on his face at the condition of Miss Chappel’s springs.   “May I?” he asked, indicating that he would like to climb up onto the land ship.   Whilst happily bouncing there, he answered her question about the horses. “Yes, I would like you to take care of all the arrangements around horses, equipment, even hiring another hand if you think it meet, Miss Chappel. I leave all in your hands, no expense spared.”   He was clearly very pleased with the bounce on the wagon as well that of its driver.   “You know, I have many times observed you, reins in hand, piloting this very vehicle. If it is not too impertinent of me, may I ask from whence you obtained these skills, so unusual in an attractive young lady?” the old masher asked.  
    • "Yes, Miss Clara."  Grinning, Weedy handed her the bread.  She was at that awkward age for a boy, that she was too old to refer to by her given name, but really wasn't so old as to be a 'Ma'am'!   "Miz Addy sent some bread," he explained, holding out the package, then telling Clara what he'd told Wyatt.  "She got it from the Lickskillet, so she didn't cook it."  He grinned.  "She makes black bread!  And then the whole room smells burnt for a week!"  It was safe to say that, since she wasn't here!   @Wayfarer
    • As unorthodox as she was, Addy wasn't adverse to having her chair held, nor a door opened, and to that end she gave Mr. Browne a chance to open the saloon doors for her.  But the big doors to the front of the barn were something else, and she took it on herself to push one of the huge pair aside, flooding the open breezeway with light and eliciting eager nickers from the barn's occupants.   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   @Javia
    • "Marshal Guyer?  Of course."  Emeline smiled as she poured coffee.  "I guess that means you can have whatever you'd like."  While it didn't happen often, it wasn't unheard of that someone was sent over from the jail for a meal, and they usually took full advantage, ordering a steak and potatoes, then pie.  She didn't mind, she was always paid.   "Oh and say.....could I have  Little Miss Pigtails wait on me? I'd like ta talk to her?"   "Oh, I'm sorry, there's no one here by that name."  Emeline smiled sweetly, really wanting to pour hot coffee in the boy's lap!  "So, what can I get for you?"  Mister No Manners, she added silently in her head.   @Wayfarer  
    • She stopped, a rider was coming, it only took a moment to see that it was her Pa, she lowered the Henry. That was a normal reaction for her to begin to shoulder the weapon. A woman on her own should take no chances.   She was anxious to hear all about Kalispell and the people he had met while he was there. It would be like him to stock up on goods while he was there, unless there was a problem with his getting paid, which happened time to time. Though she was not one to wear anything fancy, she did like to know about what the women he saw were wearing. She had trained him to notice.   He came into the yard with the pack horse in tow, obviously with a load of groceries. He paused a moment, as he usually always did before dismounting.   "Dang McClellan, ain't near a s comfortable as it once was." He complained as he usually did. "Might have ta get me one of them modern high backs. Might make this old man feel a sight better."   "I'll believe it when I see it, Amos Conroy." She had heard that one before.   "Lotsa calico, seen lotsa calico, but did see a couple ladies in their finery, Not like we saw in Denver, but purty high-falutin just the same." He reported.   "Thanks Pa." She smiled as she spoke.   "Saved the best fer last. Never guess who I run onto in town." He waited, but she didn't take the bait. He led the horses to the corral where he tied them.  Alice began unpacking the supplies, each taking part of them and starting for the house. At what they call the Municipal Bulidin' sittin' in his office was the town Marshal." He paused, she glared at him. "Speed Guyer, badge an' all." Still she said nothing but went about what she was doing.  "You remember Captain Guyer?"   "Thought you'd like to know." He said to her silence.
The Old Ranger

The Streets of Kalispell

[Doc Danforth, Clara & Bridget]

Bridget was more than pleased to be taken into the diner by the nice, slightly sad, man. She didn’t realize that she was meant to be cowering in fear from the outlaws in there, she was looking forward to a nice slice of Ms. Em’s Apple Pie, and to looking at the pretty menu and pretending she could read it.

"Hurry, come in! Bridget are you alright?" Clare greeted them.

The ginger girl beamed a broad smile to see her friend Clara. She liked the serious dark-haired girl, and not just because she’d saved her from the bullies who had pushed her in the mud, or because she brought her nice things to eat when ever she came into the Diner place. Clara took life seriously and tried to do things right. Bridget trusted and felt close enough to Clara, indeed, to actually speak out loud in her presence, even if it was in halting and uncertain tones.

“Bank’s robbed” she managed, closing her eyes in an act of will to force the words out of her mouth, and then blinking as she squeezed out a supplementary “Got ma pennies.” And she opened the palm of her hand, clad as it was in a fine lace glove to show Clara the two red cents that she was just about to try and deposit in the raided bank.

As for the gentleman, "Doctor I believe...I am Clara Redmond. I know Bridget, we are friends."

The man was a doctor? Bridget’s heart leaped in fright. The only doctor she had ever known had kept her as a virtual slave for years, made her beg for him, treated her like dirt. She instinctively drew back from him: but then looking again at him, decided he wasn’t evil, she just felt he was kindly and nice and wanted to help her.

“Good doctor.” She assured Clara, in case she was worried, too.

@Bongo @Wayfarer

Inside Lickskillet, Clara, Bridget, Jonah

Jonah was quite relieved when he and the young woman made it to the safety of the cafe and the door was shut behind them...he was no hero, so he was more than happy to be off the street.  At least the farmer who had been tossed from his wagon was up and moving, so Jonah could see to him later.

"Hurry, come in! Bridget are you alright?" Clare greeted them.

"Thank you."  Smiling, Jonah nodded to the waitress, impressed to see that she was ready for trouble, and hoping that trouble didn't come this way!  And it was a relief that she knew the girl from the street, Bridget, so it might help keep things from getting too awkward.

“Bank’s robbed” she managed, closing her eyes in an act of will to force the words out of her mouth, and then blinking as she squeezed out a supplementary “Got ma pennies.”

There was something in the speech pattern, even those few words, that indicated some sort of problem and helped to explain why Miss Bridget had been so oblivious to the danger.

As for the gentleman, "Doctor I believe...I am Clara Redmond. I know Bridget, we are friends."

"Miss Redmond," Jonah bowed slightly to Clara, then gently took Bridget's hand and placed a light kiss on it.  "And Miss Bridget, it's a pleasure, you can call me Jonah.  And a lady doesn't need her pennies when a gentleman is around. So, what are we buying?"  Especially while the bank was being robbed!

@Wayfarer; @Javia

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)

Bridget announced in her terse manner that the bank was being robbed, not that it was news to Clara but she nodded nonetheless, "Yes, but the lawmen will deal with those malefactors. Do not fret."

Bridget also wanted Clara to know, “Got ma pennies.”

"Oh that is good, Bridget. Say, I think I found a couple of your pennies just yesterday. I saved them for you."

Alright so it was a lie but a white lie. Those were permissable and it would make poor Bridget so happy. Clara actually had picked up two copper pennies off the boardwalk. Not like anyone would claim them.

She addressed the handsome doctor too then along with a quick introduction.

"Miss Redmond," Jonah bowed slightly to Clara, then gently took Bridget's hand and placed a light kiss on it.  "And Miss Bridget, it's a pleasure, you can call me Jonah.  And a lady doesn't need her pennies when a gentleman is around. So, what are we buying?"

Clara nodded, gosh he was such a gentleman along with his looks. A few cowpokes she knew could take lessons from this fellow. But it was hard for her to focus what with the commotion outside and her not knowing if Emeline was safe.

"Oh Doctor, I apologize but I cannot concentrate on serving customers right now. My employer, Mrs. Emeline  Blakesley, is in that bank even now I believe and I am too worried for her safety. I am going to keep watching and as soon as it looks safe, I will head over there to check on her."

She waved toward the back, "There is a pot of coffee on the stove and help yourself to any of the bakery. I trust that the diner will be properly compensated for whatever you take."

All the while she did not stop gazing out the window as more shots rang out. It was awful.

@Javia  @Bongo

Speed Guyer knew that he had to disarm the man to hang him, or simpley kill him outright, but he also saw the gun hand raising toward  Quentin and him, then he looked on as Pike got up.

Pike was on his feet, though a bit wobbly with the missing heel on one boot. The man was raising his pistol as Pike glanced toward Em, who he  could see was unharmed.

Speed stepped off the boardwalk and was starting toward the robber when he realized that yes the man was struggling to raise his gun, but Pike was on his feet, gun in hand, and fire in his eyes. "Pike! Don't do it!"

Bill Marley fought for his balance as he turned toward Pike trying to pull the hammer back on his Colt. That was all Pike needed as his Schofield roared. Before Marley could squeeze the trigger the forty-four slug slammed into the fingers of his gun hand,  causing it to fly out of his grasp and land harmlessly in the dirt, though that might not have been the only outcome possible.

"I'm gonna see you hang, Mister!" Pike snarled as he grabbed the front of Marley's coat. At that moment Guyer was right next to him.

"Nice shot, Pike." Speed said taking hold of the outlaw.

"Well, he got it around before I could shoot. Likely gonna lose a couple'a those fingers." Pike replied. "Wanted to hit the action, but it's done."

"There should be more of 'em." Speed said.

"Yessir, bub, yer gonna get a fair trial followed by a first class hangin'!" Pike added.

image.jpegimage.jpeg.61b95935eac8ad7925a86cd859e47f22.jpeg

@Bongo@Wayfarer@Longshot

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Ralph was just about to fire when one of the lawmen beat him to it and quite the shot it was too, why he shot the gun out of the man's hand. Ralph lowered his own revolver, duly impressed. Actually the jasper had been lucky to only lose maybe a couple of fingers, Ralph had been about to put a round in the miscreant's head.  No need now though. Looks like Kalispell was going to have itself a hanging soon. Might drum up some extra business for the saloon too!  Public hangings always brought big crowds to see 'em. Matilda would be happy to hear the news.

"Ma'am, you alright?" he asked of the young woman out there in all this carnage. Now she had been a brave one alright.

Front/ Emeline, Quinten, Ralph, Speed & Barabas

As bullets flew over her head, Emeline managed to kick free of her skirts and scramble back against the boardwalk, where she would be out of the way of the men trying to stop the miscreant.  Instinctively, she covered her head while she fought to control her breathing. 

Then she heard someone talking to her and she looked up, smiling shakily as she took his hand and got to her feet.  "Thank you, Mr. Flandry, I'm unscathed."  Her gaze drifted to Barnabas, and she was happy to see that he seemed to be all right.  "A little shaken...there are still two more...they went out the back."

They needed to know that there was still a threat.  "They shot Mr. Olsen...is he..?  Does he need help?"  Well, she was pretty certain that there was nothing that could be done for the man, but she had to ask...

@Wayfarer; @Flip; @Longshot

Side Alley, Wyatt & Addy

"THERE'S A MAN IN THE ALLEY WHO JUMPED THRU A WINDOW. HE'S GOT A GUN!  WEEDY IS WITH MR. RYKER!" the boy yelled much louder than he needed to in his excitement.

"All right, all right..."  Addy's heart was racing, but she spoke evenly to the boy, hoping to calm him.  "Jay'll take care'a Weedy."  She believed that without question, she knew Jay's character, and that he'd do what he had to to protect Weedy...so long as he was able to.

More shots from the back made her flinch and pull Wyatt against the building, and she was inclined to look to see what was happening, if jay and Weedy were all right, but then there were more shots from Main Street and she knew she couldn't just leave Wyatt there alone, but there was nowhere for the lad to go at the moment.

Still, she had to know.  "Stay close with me," she instructed Wyatt as she started moving slowly that way.  "I ain't gonna do naught but look," she then explained, so that he knew she wasn't going to leave him alone, nor get into any gunfights with him there.

Of course, it was a futile effort, there wasn't a way that she could look without exposing herself, and she stopped short of the alley...as much as she was worried about Jay and Weedy, her task right now was to look after Wyatt.

@Wayfarer

Back Alley, Weedy, Jay & Cole

Hunkered down behind some crates, Weedy risked peeking around the side to see what was going on with Jay.  He was more accustomed to the violence on the street that Wyatt, and was curious to know what was going on.

He was just in time to see Jay shoot at the bandit, and see the bad guy flinch and stumble.  Assuming that it was a debilitating hit, he jumped out of cover and shouted, "You got him!"

@Flip; @Jack

Why could kids not do what they were told? It was all under control until Weedy jumped back out in the street, presenting himself as a perfect target for the bank robber, whom Jay hat wounded. 

For a second he turned to see the kid put them both in danger but he knew he had to keep him safe. 

The boy was young and innocent while Jay had not always made good choices and deserved much more to be in danger than him.

So he turned slighty to give him a push back behind the wagon whilst shielding him with his own body. 

"Stay there!"

@Flip @Bongo

Edited by Jack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

"Miss Redmond," Jonah bowed slightly to Clara, then gently took Bridget's hand and placed a light kiss on it.  "And Miss Bridget, it's a pleasure, you can call me Jonah.  And a lady doesn't need her pennies when a gentleman is around. So, what are we buying?"

Bridget watched the doctor kiss her hand with interest, and studied the lacy gloved back of her hand afterwards as if expecting it to look different somehow for his attentions. Jonah. She wondered if he was the man she had heard about who got swallowed by a fish.

"Oh Doctor, I apologize but I cannot concentrate on serving customers right now. My employer, Mrs. Emeline  Blakesley, is in that bank even now I believe and I am too worried for her safety. I am going to keep watching and as soon as it looks safe, I will head over there to check on her."

Bridget audibly gasped to hear that Ms Em was still in the bank. She thought she’d seen her go in but, somehow assumed she had run away when the shooting started, like Arabella had. She immediately dropped the hand-kissing, fish-dwelling Doctor and moved to the window too, peering out with her nose practically against the glass.

She waved toward the back, "There is a pot of coffee on the stove and help yourself to any of the bakery. I trust that the diner will be properly compensated for whatever you take."

Bridget turned and, with a serious look on her face, waved poor Dr. Danforth off to the coffee pot, too. What happened next was hard to see from their angle, but there were more shots and then they could see a man being led off clutching his hand and Mr Flandry and Ms Em together. Bridget thought they made a handsome couple, but wasn’t Ms Em marrying Mr Pike? Bridget found this all oddly disturbing that, from their angle it looked like the Pie Lady had been rescued by the wrong hero.

She leaned over to Clara at the adjacent pane.

“We can go to?” she asked, meaning should they run out and see if Clara’s boss was all right.

Quentin looked around as the shot from the Marshal faded away. He scanned the street area and saw that no other outlaws were visible except for the ones that had been dealt with. Hearing no other commotions or shooting, Quentin moved over to the motionless outlaws, checking them to make sure none were faking and he collected their guns, sticking them into his belt and giving each a quick pat for any hidden ones. He then stepped up onto the sidewalk and moved to the bank doors. He stepped through carefully, pistol ready, and saw the people huddled around. Quentin made a calming gesture with his free hand and moved on past that area, taking a quick look around. He moved to the manager's office door and saw the open window.

Quentin thought he could hear voices in the area behind the bank so he turned and walked quickly back out to the front. As he walked out onto the sidewalk he spoke. "Marshal!...Bank's clear. I can hear voices out back..."

@Bongo @Wayfarer @Flip and open

"They shot Mr. Olsen...is he..?  Does he need help?"  Well, she was pretty certain that there was nothing that could be done for the man, but she had to ask...

Pike ran as best as a one heeled man could, to Emeline who was the on her feet and being helped by Ralph Flandry.  “Em, you alright?” He asked the impact of her trauma and the killing of the horse began to subside. “It’s all clear now.”

"Marshal!...Bank's clear. I can hear voices out back..." That was Cantrell calling to Speed from the bank door.

Speed turned, still grasping Marley’s arm. “Thanks, Cantrell. Pike! Best see what that’s about!” He called. It was not, in fact, ‘all clear,’ not for the present any way.

“A’right!” He looked at Em. “Be right back, best you head to the café and jest sit a spell.” With that he turned, drawing one of his guns and again hobbled toward the side of the bank, having no idea what he would encounter.

“Stay there!” A voice commanded. It had a familiar sound to it, yet Pike couldn’t place it.

“Ya bastard, ya shot me!” Simpson barked. The gun was agin coming up.

“Mister, “ Pike said and fired, the bullet clipping the robbers ear. “Drop it or I’ll let the fella ventilate you like you got comin”. He side glanced. “Hello Jack, Last chance mister, two of us’ll cut you ta doll rags you don’t let that pistol go."

The gun fell from Cole Simpson’s hand, as he raised his hands in surrender. “That’ll be two for the noose.” Pike stated. “Good work, Jack. Saved them boys, you did." Knowing that where there was Weedy, there was Wyatt. "So, where is Wyatt?"

image.jpeg.d8b040d52b570929580ed7de25353563.jpeglarge.cullen8B.jpg.fba68a020d322a8b048562cb2238d26f.jpg

@Bongo@Wayfarer@Longshot

Like a bee to honey, or several other descriptors that could be used, Phinias was right there and standing in the middle of the street with his note pad and pencil jotting down what he saw as quickly as he could.  He watched as Marshal Guyer hustled a wounded outlaw down the street to the jail, just as Deputy Pike rounded the corner with another, also wounded. With him was Jack Ryker, a new man in town that  Phinn had an interest in, as he was a new man in town.

There were three men in the street and a downed horse, one he recognized as Olson who had run the lumber company. He saw Missus Blakesley being escorted by the saloon keeper Ralph Flandry toward the Lickskillet, she looked a bit tousled, he would find out more about that, but not right at the moment. 

It was clear that the attempted bank robbery had come to a violent, and unsuccessful end. Now his question was, who were these would be bandits? Where were the from? Was it a larger gang that Kalispell might have to worry about, or just a small group of inept amateurs. This would be an edition by its self!

And the new owner, manager of the bank, Charles Wentworth Senior, what will he have to say about all of this? This was, as far as he knew, a first for Kalispell. Oh, there had been a good deal of outlawry  in the area, there had been attempt on the stagecoach, there was a good deal of rustling, and there was always the war on the "nesters" to contend with. Although that particular crime had been quiet for sometime, even before Whitefish met it's demise.

@Any

"Thank you, Mr. Flandry, I'm unscathed."  Her gaze drifted to Barnabas, and she was happy to see that he seemed to be all right.  "A little shaken...there are still two more...they went out the back."

"Hmm, really?  Trying to make a run for it I reckon," Ralph frownd.

"They shot Mr. Olsen...is he..?  Does he need help?" 

Ralph shook his head, "He looks pretty dead, ma'am."

Pronto then checked to see the woman was alright. But the warning she gave was also followed by a gunshot.  Ralph followed the lawman into the alley and turned out they got the drop on yet another outlaw who was facing off with .......Ralph should know the man...oh Ryker.

It seemed the outlaw didn't have any fight left in him, not to mention he was surrounded. He gave up. It seemed to be over then. Ralph lowered his gun.

Wyatt heard his name mentioned and stepped out, "I'm alright."

He spotted Weedy then and gave a little wave. They had survived!

Doc Boone, recovering from the past evening at the dance, with both sore feet and a sore head had heard the shots, and that mobilized him. Shots in Kalispell were unusual, not like it had been in Whitefish, where they were the norm. He pulled on his coat and hat, took up his black bag, straightened himself up, and headed out to see if he could be of service.

Whatever had happened it was clearly over now. There were two bodies and that of a horse laying in front of the bank, a wagon being righted in the middle of the street, some people helping reload what had fallen out.

Up at the bank he could see the Marshal guiding a man toward the Municipal building, and a cell, while Ralph Flandry, Deputy Pike and another man rounded the edge of the bank. Two boys, Weedy and Wyatt in tow along with Addy Chapple, all moving in his general direction, the Deputy with a man in custody as well. By their looks both men heading for jail were wounded.

It was then he saw Jonah at the Lickskillet. Well, it was simple, with the two wounded men, it would be best if he just went directly to the jail and treat them there. Dig out a couple bullets and bandage them up. They would likely face trail the day, or shortly and undoubted would hang without benefit of a gallows. Unless the town was up to building one for the occasion.

He arrived at the jail at the same time as Marshal Guyer. “Marshal. Hand and side is it, well, the cell will be plenty good enough for this miscreant!”

“Well, we could just allow him to bleed out.” Guyer said coldly. “But I reckon the town needs to see justice done.”

“Valid point there Marshal. I suppose those men up the street are as dead as the horse?” Boone asked.

“Yes sir, they are.” At that moment Pike caught up with them as they entered the building.

“Howdy Doc.” Pike said with his obvious limp.

“You alright, Deputy?” Boone asked.

“Yeah, lost my boot heel out there.” Pike said with a smile. “Come on, get in there.” He said to Simpson shoving him through the door. Need me a cobbler ‘er a new pair of boots.”

image.jpeg.effacf4e5b83e041afb47ea4a9eac962.jpeglarge.SpeedA.jpg.c5464858cfd7cf313c6988ea71366787.jpglarge.Pronto150.jpg.78b09c4d3d9ffe253789929d653de30a.jpg

Em, Flandry, Barnabas in passing

"I'm all right," Emeline assured Barnabas as he hobbled past, although she was trembling and clinging tightly to Ralph's arm for support.  She was fine, she just needed a moment to sit and catch her breath in the safety of her own space.  I did help quite a bit to know that Barnabas was fine.

"I can't believe that happened...poor Mister Olsen."  Praise God she hadn't seen the man actually get shot.  "I didn't know what to do.  I don't suppose I could have done anything."  Even if she'd been a man and had a gun, chances were good anything she would have tried inside the bank would have resulted in her getting shot.

"Please, Mr. Flandry, come in for some coffee and pie," she offered as the approached the cafe, but then she wondered if that was appropriate, or what was appropriate under the circumstances.

@Wayfarer

Side/Back alley, Wyatt, Jay, Weedy, Addy

There was a sound from behind them, and Addy turned to face it, her pistol raised, but relaxing when she saw Pronto there, and realizing that the situation was well under control now. 

"So, where is Wyatt?"

Wyatt heard his name mentioned and stepped out, "I'm alright."

"Here, now, we got it."  Addy smiled and nodded to the lawman before turning her attention to Jay and Weedy, who was running up closer.

"Wyatt!"  Weedy ran over to his friend, his cheeks still flushed with excitement.  "Are you all right?  I didn't expect that!  Did you see Jay shoot that man?  I was so worried when he grabbed you!"

Meanwhile, as Pike marched the bandit toward the jail, Addy chided the boys, "You two stay right there," then she headed over to Jay.

"Ya all right?  Ya done a fine job protectin' them boys, I'm grateful to ya."  She smiled a little uncertainly.  She hadn't seen him since the dance, and that hadn't exactly ended on a good note.

@Jack; @Wayfarer

Quentin finished gathering up the robbers weapons from in front of the bank and the street. He had their gun belts draped over his left shoulder and his own weapon held at the ready as he stood near the marshal but not too near the surviving robber. Quentin turned and saw the townspeople who had been in the bank slowly walking out, obviously in shock from the robbery and the shootout. Quentin smiled and nodded to them to try and be reassuring, despite the image he was projecting being festooned with the robbers' weapons.

Quentin finally noted the motion as Marshal Guyer began moving his suspect in the direction of the jail. He fell into step as they headed down the street. "Do you think we got them all, Marshal?"

@Flip @Wayfarer @Bongo plus anyone else

Inside the Lickskillet, Clara, Bridget, Jonah, incoming Emeline and Ralph

Jonah had meant to distract the young ladies from what was going on outside, and had assumed that Bridget's pennies were to buy treats, but apparently, the drama was far more attractive than anything else, not that he could say he disagreed.  Such occurrences were rare, especially in the day time, and caused quite a stir!

"It looks clear," he observed, peering out the window, "if you ladies would like to go to Missus Blakesley's assistance, "I'll fetch her some water...or coffee, perhaps..."  Or maybe there was something stronger hidden in the kitchen...something to help settle the poor woman's nerves.

@Wayfarer; @Javia

"I can't believe that happened...poor Mister Olsen," the woman said as she allowed Ralph to head her toward the diner, her business, "I didn't know what to do.  I don't suppose I could have done anything."

"Looks like he died fast. And I'm guessin' his death was the first shot fired by the robbers so nothing anybody could have done to save him or stop the robbery. They had the jump," Ralph didn't believe she should blame herself for anything.

"Please, Mr. Flandry, come in for some coffee and pie," she offered as the approached the cafe, but then she wondered if that was appropriate, or what was appropriate under the circumstances.

Before he could answer, Clara came racing toward Emeline even leaving the diner door wide open in her haste to check on her employer.

westernrpgchar5.jpg

"Oh thank God you are safe! I was so worried," she stopped short of the woman just when it seemed she might give her a supportive hug. Clara had never been and still was not a hugger. But it didn't mean she didn't care and care deeply.

Ralph grinned at the reunion and paused, "You know, ma'am, I will take you up on that kind offer alright but just not now, not today. I need to get back to my job. Odds are as the excitement dies down some menfolk are going to want to wet their whistles. You take care now."

Wyatt assured Addy he was just fine. There were smiles of relief and joy all around.  The outlaw was under arrest and judging by no more gunshots, the whole robbery must be over. Boy, did he have a story to tell Pa!

Wyatt.jpg

"Wyatt!"  Weedy ran over to his friend, his cheeks still flushed with excitement.  "Are you all right?  I didn't expect that!  Did you see Jay shoot that man?  I was so worried when he grabbed you!"

Wyatt waved his hand in dismissal, "Ahh, I'm good. That jasper should consider himself lucky I did not kick him a good one."

He actually had been terrified frozen in place so that bold statement was nothing more than boyish bravado.

"Please, Mr. Flandry, come in for some coffee and pie," she offered as the approached the cafe, but then she wondered if that was appropriate, or what was appropriate under the circumstances.

Before he could answer, Clara came racing toward Emeline even leaving the diner door wide open in her haste to check on her employer.

Bridget followed Clara and stood silently clasping her hands together in happiness that Miss Em. Was all right. Well, after all, she did make the best pies and cakes in town, it would have been a hard blow if she’d been killed by the nasty bank robbers.

"Oh thank God you are safe! I was so worried," she stopped short of the woman just when it seemed she might give her a supportive hug. Clara had never been and still was not a hugger. But it didn't mean she didn't care and care deeply.

Ralph grinned at the reunion and paused, "You know, ma'am, I will take you up on that kind offer alright but just not now, not today. I need to get back to my job. Odds are as the excitement dies down some menfolk are going to want to wet their whistles. You take care now."

This understated conclusion to the event was then totally ruined by the flying mass of calico that was Arabella who ran over from the Saloon and flung her skinny arms around Mr Flandry.

“Oh Ralph, Ralph, thank the Lord you are safe!!” she cried dramatically. “You were so brave!” she gasped as he peeled her off. “I watched the whole thing through the winder, you were sneakin’ up on that varmint so nice and quiet until that stupid sheriff went and shot at him. He got off light cause of that, if he hadn’t’ve interfered you’d ha’ got him right between the eyes and blow’d his brains clean out!” she declared, holding up a pretend gun and pulling an invisible trigger and looking somewhat annoyed that the man was still alive, if injured.

“And then you swept Miss Em off her feet and rescued her! Oh, Miss Em, you were a heroine, you didn’t look scared at all – I’d ha’ fainted!!” she blurted and ran over and gave her a great big hug, too.

Then she caught sight of Bridget.

“Oh Bridg, you’re safe!!” she yelped and a third person felt her over-eager embrace. Then she noticed Clara standing there, too. She wondered if there was a good reason she could give her a hug as well, but Clara didn’t like that sort of thing, she knew that by now. Also, there was another thing which needed saying.

“Hey, Miss Em! There’s some feller helpin’ himself to coffee and pie in there!” she said, pointing an accusatory finger into the Diner “It’s a looter! Mr Flandry, you still got your gun?!” she asked, calming down enough now to call him by his proper name.

“Hey you! Drop your pie and come out with your hands up!!” she shouted at poor old Dr. Danforth.

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Quentin finally noted the motion as Marshal Guyer began moving his suspect in the direction of the jail. He fell into step as they headed down the street. "Do you think we got them all, Marshal?"

Speed looked to the man, “If two went out the back window, we only got one. Either the last of them in here in town, or he has probably stolen a horse, hell, they’re all over town saddled and ready.” He tightened his grip on Marley’s arm. “Who’s the other one? Huh? Who is he?”

Marley looked to the marshal, lips pursed, a glower on his ashen face. “I’m shot, I got no idea what yer talking’ about, law dog.”

“And near as I can figure, you’re gonna hang right soon too. But we’ll see to them wounds. That can go as painfully as you like, Mister. But it’ll be easier if you tell me who the other one is.” It was unlike Speed Guyer to make idle threats, and his threat of additional pain, well in truth, that depended on what pain killer was in the Doc’s bag.

“Appreciate you today Quentin, could certainly have been worse had it not been for you and Flandry. And thanks for haulin’ that hardware to my office. They won’t be needing it, that’s for sure.”  He added

image.jpeg.62e2f8e794459ec88821d146d33d83ff.jpeg

@Longshot

With the prisoners and their armaments in the jail Pike stood, hands on his hips.  The adrenaline wearing off and some fatigue setting in he whaled , then looked to Speed. "Goin' up ta the Lickskillet see how Em's makin' out. Should oughtta killed Marley there. Em wouldn't a liked that one bit."

"No she probably wouldn't have, but that was a hell of a shot. And while you're gone, get that boot fixed." Speed came back. "See ya in a bit."

Pronto was out the door and hobbling toward the cafe, being lauded with the fine work they did at the bank when in fact it had been Flandry and Cantrell that really deserved the praise for their actions in the situation. Without them Pike knew things could have been a whole lot worse.

He opened the door of the cafe and stepped inside. the sweet smell of  fresh baked pie filling the air. He stepped over to her quickly. He saw no one else but her. "You alright, Em? That feller what took holt of you, he's locked up, waitin' on the circuit judge, and a rope." His anger at Marley, clear.

@Bongo@Wayfarer

The top of the ridge had been a hard climb, Dade Marley was grateful that it had not been shale, he likely wouldn’t have made up to where he was. He looked back as he told himself he would, and to give the procured horse a well deserved breather.

There was no dust cloud indicating a posse in pursuit and that was a relief. As to the others? They were probably dead, he couldn’t see the others surrendering to a rope, but they were no longer his problem. He was sure that there was interest in just who he was, if the boys were dead he had no worries, if not, hard to tell what might slip. Just another wanted poster.

He stepped down and tightened the cinch, took the full canteen from the pommel and had a long drink, then Took off his hat and half filled it with water for the horse who drank without prompting. The leather was in good shape, a Winchester was in the saddle scabbard, there were saddle bags, he would wait some before seeing what he had inherited.

Still, there was no one coming out of the town in pursuit. Now, to figure out where he was, and where he would be headed.

image.jpeg.2088230650ec5c83d41ccc8c4f9f7b92.jpeg

TBC I Open Range, "On The Dodge."