• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• F. Falmer Browne was as impressed with Addy’s barn and selection of transportation impedimenta, including the draught animals who pulled the things as he was with Addy herself.   “Splendid! Splendid!” was all he could say as he peered about the place with a quick and intelligent eye. “A veritable Aladdin’s Cave!”   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   The slightly eccentric older gentleman approached the vehicle in question, hands clasped behind his back, head bent forward slightly, in a pose of complete and curious absorption – as if he was seeing, for the fist time, some fabulous beast of lore. He ducked down, quite lithely for his age, and came up again smiling broadly at Addy, a look of supreme satisfaction on his face at the condition of Miss Chappel’s springs.   “May I?” he asked, indicating that he would like to climb up onto the land ship.   Whilst happily bouncing there, he answered her question about the horses. “Yes, I would like you to take care of all the arrangements around horses, equipment, even hiring another hand if you think it meet, Miss Chappel. I leave all in your hands, no expense spared.”   He was clearly very pleased with the bounce on the wagon as well that of its driver.   “You know, I have many times observed you, reins in hand, piloting this very vehicle. If it is not too impertinent of me, may I ask from whence you obtained these skills, so unusual in an attractive young lady?” the old masher asked.  
    • "Yes, Miss Clara."  Grinning, Weedy handed her the bread.  She was at that awkward age for a boy, that she was too old to refer to by her given name, but really wasn't so old as to be a 'Ma'am'!   "Miz Addy sent some bread," he explained, holding out the package, then telling Clara what he'd told Wyatt.  "She got it from the Lickskillet, so she didn't cook it."  He grinned.  "She makes black bread!  And then the whole room smells burnt for a week!"  It was safe to say that, since she wasn't here!   @Wayfarer
    • As unorthodox as she was, Addy wasn't adverse to having her chair held, nor a door opened, and to that end she gave Mr. Browne a chance to open the saloon doors for her.  But the big doors to the front of the barn were something else, and she took it on herself to push one of the huge pair aside, flooding the open breezeway with light and eliciting eager nickers from the barn's occupants.   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   @Javia
    • "Marshal Guyer?  Of course."  Emeline smiled as she poured coffee.  "I guess that means you can have whatever you'd like."  While it didn't happen often, it wasn't unheard of that someone was sent over from the jail for a meal, and they usually took full advantage, ordering a steak and potatoes, then pie.  She didn't mind, she was always paid.   "Oh and say.....could I have  Little Miss Pigtails wait on me? I'd like ta talk to her?"   "Oh, I'm sorry, there's no one here by that name."  Emeline smiled sweetly, really wanting to pour hot coffee in the boy's lap!  "So, what can I get for you?"  Mister No Manners, she added silently in her head.   @Wayfarer  
    • She stopped, a rider was coming, it only took a moment to see that it was her Pa, she lowered the Henry. That was a normal reaction for her to begin to shoulder the weapon. A woman on her own should take no chances.   She was anxious to hear all about Kalispell and the people he had met while he was there. It would be like him to stock up on goods while he was there, unless there was a problem with his getting paid, which happened time to time. Though she was not one to wear anything fancy, she did like to know about what the women he saw were wearing. She had trained him to notice.   He came into the yard with the pack horse in tow, obviously with a load of groceries. He paused a moment, as he usually always did before dismounting.   "Dang McClellan, ain't near a s comfortable as it once was." He complained as he usually did. "Might have ta get me one of them modern high backs. Might make this old man feel a sight better."   "I'll believe it when I see it, Amos Conroy." She had heard that one before.   "Lotsa calico, seen lotsa calico, but did see a couple ladies in their finery, Not like we saw in Denver, but purty high-falutin just the same." He reported.   "Thanks Pa." She smiled as she spoke.   "Saved the best fer last. Never guess who I run onto in town." He waited, but she didn't take the bait. He led the horses to the corral where he tied them.  Alice began unpacking the supplies, each taking part of them and starting for the house. At what they call the Municipal Bulidin' sittin' in his office was the town Marshal." He paused, she glared at him. "Speed Guyer, badge an' all." Still she said nothing but went about what she was doing.  "You remember Captain Guyer?"   "Thought you'd like to know." He said to her silence.
The Old Ranger

On The Dodge

Mature Content: Yes, violence. Most likely

With: Speed, Quentin, Roberson (NCP) and, Dade Marley (NCP)
When: April / 24th / 1875
Time of Day: Afternoon into early evening

content-divider.png

Still, there was no one coming out of the town in pursuit. Now, to figure out where he was, and where he would be headed.

Trees were plentiful, which, along with the boulders, would make for great cover, if he needed it. He could no longer see back toward that jerkwater burgh and that was just fine. No one had bothered to give chase, at least not that he was aware of. But then, Dade Marley had always been cavalier about such things. He figured that if it came to it, he could shoot his way out of trouble.

He stepped into leather and swung his leg over. The saddle wasn’t bad either! He thought. He faced a slope with no real trail, game or otherwise to follow so he started off, going easy as he decided he had all the time in the world. The way down was about the same as the way up, not shale, but loose dirt and rocks, so picking his way through was time consuming, but there would be no hoof prints for anyone to follow. There would be freshly disturbed ground however, and a good deal of it. Yet he was not worried.

It took the better part of an hour to reach a point where once he made his way around a huge out-cropping he would once more be on flat ground. The cows startled him as he rode right out in front of them.

"Easy Mister!" The man in front of him, holding a cocked Colt, said as the small herd passed by. "Keep those hands where I can see 'em." A second man rode up just then give him and his outfit the once over.

"You a Roberson rider?" He demanded, his eyes open wide.

"No, no I surely ain't." Dade replied calmly, hands folded over the pommel.

"I'll be go ta hell, that's Royce Roberson's horse yer on mister." The first one said as the second man drew his revolver.

"I can explain if you give me a chance." The was no sign of fear in Dades voice. "We just tried the bank in that burg. I'm the only one to get away. Spotted this horse and took it, better'n a rope."

"Tried the bank didja? Now that's downright interestin'. Stole ol' Royces hose as well?" The second one asked.

"Like you two helped yourself to a few of his cattle. I can read brands, you know,  Leanin' R's same as the one on this horses rump." Dade shot back. "Reckon you don't ride for this Royce Roberson now, do ya?"

"Where ya headed."

"Got no place in particular, lookin' ta clear outta the country." And that was true, he just wanted to get away. Wouldn't be the first time he was on the Dodge.

The man slipped his Colt back in the holster and said, "Foller us up a ways. Got some remounts waitin. Won't need 'em, so we'll trade you outta Roberson horse, got it self an odd front hoof that's easy to track. We'll send it on home, and you can dust on outta here." He looked back, "He's Larson, I'm Guthrie."

"Now Your talkin'!" Dade stated. "Dade, Dade Marley."

image.jpeg.2754c5bdc3a653111060b393dada333b.jpegimage.jpeg.f1c2bd1f34e5fc26aca4f4f850c4c0d2.jpegimage.jpeg.f0d007dcc5937f7966f442672be01fd1.jpeg

TBC

Dade looked at them a moment, one to the other. Why wouldn't the remounts be needed, so he smiled and asked, "How come you won't need the remounts?"

"Simple, we ain't tryin' ta out run the Leanin' R boys. So what we do is we add 'em to the trail we're leavin', so we look like more'n we are." Guthrie informed him. Though to Dade they weren't leaving much of anything as they were in a dry sandy creek bottom

"Ahhh, got it. Yeah, that makes sense alright." Dade responded.

"So, we just switch out whatever, and you take a remount while ol' Roberson' nag hightails it home." Larson added.

"Ain't none'a my kit, reckon I'll come by a new one. Don't need a horse with an odd hoof, not in my line of work." The Dade laughed. The other two chuckled as they followed the bed around a bend, and there stood two horses, waiting, swishing their tails to ward of the flies.

"You got thirty dollars?" Larson asked. "If you do, take yer pick, they're from my string."

"Hard money, thirty dollars. Got it right here. Take the blaze face Chestnut." He liked that mount right off.

"Step down, we need to shoo that one on home." Guthrie directed. Dade stepped down, taking only the canteen, one never knew when he'd need more than one. Slapping the horse on the rump it buck jumped and took off at a gallop, out of the creek bed running north-east.  "Now, you can light out, or follow along with us. Might be we could use you."

Climbing aboard the Chestnut after paying in silver for a good two hundred dollars in horse flesh and leather, he smiled. " Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll take my chances for now. But you never know, might just run onto you gents and be in need of that job. Adios!" And with that he spurred his mount and headed north.

"Know'd his brother Bill, danged fool. Figgered never ta get caught with his broad daylight bank jobs. Guess he was mistaken." Larson admitted. "Let's move, we're burnin' the day away!"

image.jpeg.117a0a846dcea7d6beb3e0aa12f72861.jpegimage.jpeg.200134b69728e61046e3b98c7ba67080.jpegimage.jpeg.c76f89d94f3625977c797c7e3d9116d0.jpeg

He ran the horse a ways then slowed to a canter and then a walk. There was a good mile between him and those rustlers, though they looked to be having it pretty easy. They probably had them a hide out with food and whiskey. Maybe even someone paying them for collecting other folks cattle.

But, they had the horse that could be tracked, so he meant to be as far away from them as he could. There was a rope waiting on him, and he intended to let it wait. Even if they let it go, as they said they would, it could be tracked right back to them.

How far off was that posse, he wondered, because by now there was one, or at least this Roberson character and maybe a couple of his hands looking for the horse. Better he was away from cattle thieves an just making his way toward whatever the future might hold.

Meanwhile, Guthrie and Larson, along with the cattle, made their way farther up the creek bed. They had sent the stolen hose on it's way as they had said they would, now it was about making the secluded pen and getting back to the hide out.

It was a box canyon, if one could call it that, as it only went a couple hundred yards back of the creek bed. The fencing that closed off a part of it was disguised with scrub brush, but it was still a ways further on.

Behind them, Speed, Quentin and Roberson had topped out on the hill above the creek bed, pushed their way to the bottom and paused.

"Looks to me like anything passing this way used the soft bottom to hide their tracks." Speed noted.

@Longshot

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Quentin reined Paladin left and right a bit, looking down at the sandy soil. "Hang on...look at all this disturbance..." He leaned a bit and craned it back behind them and then forward, squinting into the distance. "These are cattle sign...and not just a few stragglers." Quentin swung his Winchester around and shoved it back into the scabbard, then fished around in his saddlebag and came out with a set of field glasses. Quentin raised them and looked in the direction of the tracks, moving the focus wheel a few times slowly. Finally he lowered them and handed them over to Speed.

"Not a single cow in sight...does that seem right to you if this is wild and open country? No strays, none drinking water, none idly eating..." Quentin then looked over at Roberson. "...and your horse went in the same direction." He turned and took off his hat to wipe his forehead and face with his bandana. "Our bank robber either tried to use this area to hide his tracks, or he has more friends..." Quentin voiced the unspoken concern he hoped his comrades had already thought about.

@Flip

“The hell you say? That just makes no sense. Maybe he thought he’d lose his tracks in the others, but even in the sand that print stands out.” Roberson said.

“Well, lookie here. You horse went off in that direction, back toward your place, but the track aren’t as deep as they were, means there ain’t no rider.” Speed was at a loss for the moment. “Appears he switched horses here, like there was someone waiting on him, but that just makes no sense. This would have had to be the planned escape route, and that seems highly unlikely.”
image.jpeg.8316cb37f1b8c74fa8e69bbb5696c480.jpeg

@Longshot

Quentin leaned and rested his hands on his pommel. "Alright...seems like we have two choices. We either follow the horse which appears to no longer be ridden, or we continue off in that direction..." He waved a hand in the direction of the rest of the tracks. "...and hope we get some idea where he went or what his plans were." Quentin then turned and looked at Speed. "Marshal?..."

@Flip

“So, it’s plain he got another mount. What isn’t plain is how or where he might have gone afterward. Maybe we follow these tracks, seems like several head of cattle and maybe two horse, but it be any number with the cows to wipe out their trail, had tellin’.

“Yep, best we trail them steers and see if we don’t come on the one we’re looking for.” Roberson added. Both looked to Quentin

image.jpeg.3b1f8c1f93ba3202913d2033a239a480.jpeg

@Longshot

Quentin considered for a moment then nodded. "Birds of a feather, and all that..." He took back the field glasses from Speed and stuck them back into his saddlebag before taking up Paladin's reins. "Let's go see how smart we are..." Speed started moving and Quentin fell in behind him as the three riders continued trailing the easy to follow tracks.

@Flip

There was something not right about this whole situation. The feel was all wrong, or at least to him. Speed watch the trail ahead of them, murky as it was fast becoming with the sandy soil getting deeper. Such was trailing in a creek bed.

As he was beginning to doubt following this trail, he heard the unmistakable mooing of several cows, and they were close by, which to Speed meant, so would the men they had been following. He reined in and waited on the others to catch up, merely moments.

"Cows are up ahead, so there's someplace they have been stashed off this creek bed." He all but whispered. "I'm thinking the men we're after are still there., or close by."

Roberson looked hostile. "Means them cows 'er mine!" His voice would carry, being angry and loud.

image.jpeg.879b2178e130dcb4759c607b7b70fdef.jpeg

@Longshot

Quentin's head shot around and his low voice cut off Roberson's indignation. "Quiet! They can hear you back in town." Roberson shot a glare back at Quentin but the other man was not bothered by the gaze. "There might be twenty of them in there waiting on the ones we were following to get back. You want to poke that hornet's nest before we've gotten a better look at it? Now shut up..."

Quentin looked around and nudged Paladin over to the side into a small notch in the creek. He dismounted and looped the reins around a tree branch before he tugged out his rifle from its scabbard. He moved over near the other two men. "We all going to take a look?"

@Flip

Quentin's question was answered in less than a heartbeat! Larson and Guthrie came out of what had appeared to be just a crease in the bank of the creek bed. Both men mounted and shooting.

Speed drew and fired as Roberson jerked once, then again, and topped backwards off his mount. Speed sent a couple more shots in the rustlers direction and leaped from the saddle going to Roberson's side. The man was hit in the shoulder twice.

A bullet kicked up dirt and rock next to him as Speed drug Roberson to what was the precarious safety of some rocks fallen from side of the ever deepening creek bed. Again he drew his pistol and shouted, "Throw 'em down boys!" Which was answered by a fusillade of shots.

image.jpeg.8909459f81fb22363182947db285b232.jpeg

@Longshot

Quentin started at the sudden eruption of shooting and hoof beats. He heard a few shots snap past...some between him and Speed and others just nearby, Quentin had an impression of Roberson falling from his saddle. Quentin brought his Winchester up while thumbing the hammer back. He fired a shot, then worked the lever, firing several quick shots as he dashed across the creek away from Speed to draw their attention. He fired from the hip several times until he could dive behind another fallen creek boulder. He rolled to a stop and reached for his belt loops, tugging out rounds to shove into the rifle's loading gate. He heard some shots but no rounds came near. Quentin then heard Speed shout something but several more shots rang out to drown out his words.

Quentin laid against the rock and took a few breaths. He then sat up from cover and leveled his rifle at the milling riders nearby. He levered the action as quickly as he could and fired several shots, alternating between the two riders.

@Flip

Grateful for the cover from Quentin, Speed knew that the only danger Roberson was in, was bleeding out. The holes in his shoulder were close together, close enough that with the mans neckerchief and his own, he could fashion a bandage of sorts that would hopefully stop the blood flow. He was no doctor, but he had made up bandages during the war when there was no one else to do it.

All he needed was Cantrell to keep the outlaws off his back while he tended to Roberson. A tall order since it looked like the bad guys planned to continue fighting. Or so he surmised.

Larson had his Winchester operating while Guthrie was firing his pistols.  But in a sudden move, Guthrie spurred his mount and raced up the creek bed leaving Larson behind. The lone outlaw paused looking wide eyed in the direction Guthrie had ridden. For a couple of seconds all was quiet. Then Larson began firing again possibly to begin his escape.

@Longshot

Quentin had ducked back for a moment as rounds glanced off the edge of the rock or snapped by. He then rolled up to return fire only to catch sight of one of the outlaws beating a hasty retreat on his horse. Quentin was surprised by this move and blinked as he saw the man spurring hard over a nearby rise, leaving his partner high and dry. The remaining man fired his own rifle at Speed where he was trying to tend to Roberson.

Quentin's eyes narrowed at the remaining criminal and he sighted his Winchester and levered off two shots. The first caught him under his arm with a blossom of red and his horse reared in fright. Quentin's second round tore through his skull as he was trying to stay in the saddle. The outlaw stiffened then fell boneless from the horse to lay in the roiling water, not moving.

Quentin stayed in cover, watching the nearby area in case the outlaw that fled decided to come back and help his friend. After several seconds, Quentin looked over in Speed's direction. "You okay??"

@Flip

"Yah! But we gotta get Roberson to some help!" He was thinking, which was closer town or his ranch. "He's hit pretty hard. Got the bleeding stopped for now, but the man needs help.

The one was down, the other had ridden hell for breakfast out of there, question was, was he going after help? If that was the case they were in bad trouble with a wounded man. they wouldn't be able to move with any haste for fear of Roberson's wound opening up again, not they were actually closed, but the rough bandage had stopped the blood flow.

"You OK?" He asked.

@Longshot

Quentin took another look around for good measure then scrambled over to where Speed knelt with Roberson. He dropped to a knee and looked at the wounded man, then up at Speed. "I'm good...they came close a few times but no hits..."

Quentin looked at the bandage on Roberson again. "We seem to hold the field, but I don't recommend us sticking around..." Quentin looked Roberson over and didn't like what he was seeing. He glanced up at Speed. "Can he be moved?"

@Flip

"No choice. If the other one went for help we'd be in for it, so let's see if we can get him mounted." Speed replied. "I'm thinking the ranch is closer." Maybe tie him in the saddle? If we lay him across it I think he could bleed to death, but we best get a move on.

He didn't like it, but if there were others coming, they wouldn't last an hour. the best bet was to try to move Roberson. Get him to his home ranch where there would be some help.

@Longshot

"I hope he stays unconscious, because this is going to hurt like Hell..." Quentin jogged over and grabbed the leads, then led the three horses over to Speed.

"How far is your place from here?..." Quentin shoved his Winchester back into its scabbard, then grabbed his coil of rope from the saddle and handed it to Speed so he could use it to help tie Roberson, then he grabbed the wounded man and helped Speed get him to his feet, then up onto his horse. All the while Quentin kept watching and listening for any returning riders.

@Flip

Roping the man to the saddle of the rented horse, Speed looked to Cantrell, "Not my place, the Leanin' R, his place. Bound to be a sight closer than town. That I had a place, well, that's the plan on down the line." He could afford a place now, but the business tied up most of his capitol for the time being. 

"Okay, slow and easy til we have to run. Let's get him there alive!" And they started out.

@Longshot

Quentin leaped into his saddle and moved up alongside Roberson so he could reach out and steady the man from time to time.

"Lead his horse, I'll keep him from falling..." The three horses broke into a low lope. Even if it was faster it was a little smoother on the wounded Roberson.

@Flip

"Lead his horse, I'll keep him from falling..." The three horses broke into a low lope. Even if it was faster it was a little smoother on the wounded Roberson.

The three men headed away from the creek bed, and found their way to the open range. The headed south-east to where they figured the ranch would be when on the horizon a group of riders were coming hard, and they would be from the ranch, the returning horse would had sounded the alarm and the men responded setting out after their boss.

Speed pulled up, as it would be easier on the wounded Roberson. Cantrell had seen the riders and Speeds action and pulled up himself.

“Easier if we wait on them, plenty of trees, they can lash together a travois to get him home.” Speed said.

Quentin looked over and saw a fresh shine on the bloodstain covering his shirt. "Let's get him down before he bleeds to death..." He dismounted and moved around, supporting Roberson while Speed freed him from the rope. Quentin lowered the wounded man to the ground and pressed on the makeshift bandage, trying to get the blood to slow down again.

Quentin could hear the riders coming closer. He glanced back to Roberson and saw the eyes fluttering, trying to roll back into his head. "Hey, stay with us!" Quentin's lips pressed together and he breathed in, then moved his hand to press a thumb against one of the bullet holes. Roberson jerked and his eyes snapped back into focus even if he was in a haze of pain. "Good...welcome back..." Quentin put his palm back on the bandage and held it as the party of riders pulled up.

@Flip

Quentin looked over and saw a fresh shine on the bloodstain covering his shirt. "Let's get him down before he bleeds to death..." He dismounted and moved around, supporting Roberson while Speed freed him from the rope. Quentin lowered the wounded man to the ground and pressed on the makeshift bandage, trying to get the blood to slow down again.

Speed was quick to step down and join Cantrell in helping lower the man to the ground. “Damn, hope these gents have something to quell the blood loss or he won’t make it to his place.” Speed was far from optimistic about the success of their efforts, but he knew that they had done everything that they could

Quentin could hear the riders coming closer. He glanced back to Roberson and saw the eyes fluttering, trying to roll back into his head. "Hey, stay with us!" Quentin's lips pressed together and he breathed in, then moved his hand to press a thumb against one of the bullet holes. Roberson jerked and his eyes snapped back into focus even if he was in a haze of pain.

"Good...welcome back..." Quentin put his palm back on the bandage and held it as the party of riders pulled up.

Speed had gone for his canteen as the wounded man would need water. “Here, see if you can drink a bit, Roberson. Your hands are just about here, they’ll get you to home.” He held the canteen to the man’s lips and let a trickle of water flow in slowly.

The group of men were dismounting and rushing towards them. “What the hell happened?” One asked loudly.

“Ambushed by some rustlers. We managed to kill one, the other got away, maybe went for help. Your boss needs help.” Speed said. “Needs it fast.”

@Longshot

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Quentin moved back as one of the men knelt down. He had a sack of various items to treat injuries on the trail, but Quentin wasn't sure if this would be enough for two bullet wounds.

"He took two shots..." Quentin said as he nodded at the cloth he had been pressing on. The would be medical help eased up the cloth and looked under the edge and grimaced. "Start making a drag!" He yelled over at the riders standing around. Several of the men went over and started cutting down saplings and getting ropes from their saddles, working to make a sturdy frame suitable for dragging behind a horse.

Quentin stepped back, pulling off his bandana to wipe his hands and neck as he stood beside Speed, watching Roberson's hands work quickly to build his transport.

"So what's our next move?" He asked, looking at the marshal as they enjoyed the minor shade of a scraggly tree.

@Flip

Speed stood, hands on his hips watching the men as they worked on the travois, then gazed off in the direction of the creek bed before he said. “Maybe see if we can pick up a trail. The terrain isn’t good out that way, but we’ve likely lost him. The fight cost us and I don’t for a minute think the man we’re looking for was the one you got.” He paused, “No, there was a third man, the one we want that switched horses somehow. Damn it!”

He had no business out here, no jurisdiction, and at worst he could stop a bullet for his trouble chasing the last of the robbers. A county Sheriff was needed, he could have raised a posse and gone after him, if the county had a Sheriff, but they did not, and the rumor was, Case Steelgrave was going run for it.

“Reckon we head over and look, but we’re losing daylight and we’ve a long ride back to Kalispell.”

@Longshot