Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• F. Falmer Browne was as impressed with Addy’s barn and selection of transportation impedimenta, including the draught animals who pulled the things as he was with Addy herself.   “Splendid! Splendid!” was all he could say as he peered about the place with a quick and intelligent eye. “A veritable Aladdin’s Cave!”   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   The slightly eccentric older gentleman approached the vehicle in question, hands clasped behind his back, head bent forward slightly, in a pose of complete and curious absorption – as if he was seeing, for the fist time, some fabulous beast of lore. He ducked down, quite lithely for his age, and came up again smiling broadly at Addy, a look of supreme satisfaction on his face at the condition of Miss Chappel’s springs.   “May I?” he asked, indicating that he would like to climb up onto the land ship.   Whilst happily bouncing there, he answered her question about the horses. “Yes, I would like you to take care of all the arrangements around horses, equipment, even hiring another hand if you think it meet, Miss Chappel. I leave all in your hands, no expense spared.”   He was clearly very pleased with the bounce on the wagon as well that of its driver.   “You know, I have many times observed you, reins in hand, piloting this very vehicle. If it is not too impertinent of me, may I ask from whence you obtained these skills, so unusual in an attractive young lady?” the old masher asked.  
    • "Yes, Miss Clara."  Grinning, Weedy handed her the bread.  She was at that awkward age for a boy, that she was too old to refer to by her given name, but really wasn't so old as to be a 'Ma'am'!   "Miz Addy sent some bread," he explained, holding out the package, then telling Clara what he'd told Wyatt.  "She got it from the Lickskillet, so she didn't cook it."  He grinned.  "She makes black bread!  And then the whole room smells burnt for a week!"  It was safe to say that, since she wasn't here!   @Wayfarer
    • As unorthodox as she was, Addy wasn't adverse to having her chair held, nor a door opened, and to that end she gave Mr. Browne a chance to open the saloon doors for her.  But the big doors to the front of the barn were something else, and she took it on herself to push one of the huge pair aside, flooding the open breezeway with light and eliciting eager nickers from the barn's occupants.   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   @Javia
    • "Marshal Guyer?  Of course."  Emeline smiled as she poured coffee.  "I guess that means you can have whatever you'd like."  While it didn't happen often, it wasn't unheard of that someone was sent over from the jail for a meal, and they usually took full advantage, ordering a steak and potatoes, then pie.  She didn't mind, she was always paid.   "Oh and say.....could I have  Little Miss Pigtails wait on me? I'd like ta talk to her?"   "Oh, I'm sorry, there's no one here by that name."  Emeline smiled sweetly, really wanting to pour hot coffee in the boy's lap!  "So, what can I get for you?"  Mister No Manners, she added silently in her head.   @Wayfarer  
    • She stopped, a rider was coming, it only took a moment to see that it was her Pa, she lowered the Henry. That was a normal reaction for her to begin to shoulder the weapon. A woman on her own should take no chances.   She was anxious to hear all about Kalispell and the people he had met while he was there. It would be like him to stock up on goods while he was there, unless there was a problem with his getting paid, which happened time to time. Though she was not one to wear anything fancy, she did like to know about what the women he saw were wearing. She had trained him to notice.   He came into the yard with the pack horse in tow, obviously with a load of groceries. He paused a moment, as he usually always did before dismounting.   "Dang McClellan, ain't near a s comfortable as it once was." He complained as he usually did. "Might have ta get me one of them modern high backs. Might make this old man feel a sight better."   "I'll believe it when I see it, Amos Conroy." She had heard that one before.   "Lotsa calico, seen lotsa calico, but did see a couple ladies in their finery, Not like we saw in Denver, but purty high-falutin just the same." He reported.   "Thanks Pa." She smiled as she spoke.   "Saved the best fer last. Never guess who I run onto in town." He waited, but she didn't take the bait. He led the horses to the corral where he tied them.  Alice began unpacking the supplies, each taking part of them and starting for the house. At what they call the Municipal Bulidin' sittin' in his office was the town Marshal." He paused, she glared at him. "Speed Guyer, badge an' all." Still she said nothing but went about what she was doing.  "You remember Captain Guyer?"   "Thought you'd like to know." He said to her silence.

Mature Content: No

With: Addy & Jay
When: April/ 24 / 1875
Time of Day: TAfternoon

content-divider.png

The news about her 'adopting' Weedy was unexpected and then not. The boy had been living with her for a while and they knew his mother was dead. His father most likely, too.

"Wow, that's a big step. I mean it is and it isn't. He's been living with you forever but now it's official, eh? Does Weedy know?"

"Yeah, yeah, me an' Speed Guyer told him a week'er so back.  Didn't take it well at first, can't say as I'd blame him, but he's settled down," she explained, "an' now i reckon he ought not be livin' in a barn."

"I'd like to see your place. You've already found a new one? We haven't seen each other that long?"

"Been a few days."  Smiling, she shrugged.  "Seems like we just got busy an' life got away from us."  Or maybe they were both avoiding something they didn't understand or know how to approach?

"Why don't you show me."

"Yeah, sure."  She stood.  "I think you'll like it."  Taking a breath, she watched him for a moment, maybe being a bit hesitant, but then she hooked her arm in his, making that contact, but it seemed less intimate than holding hands.  "Weedy'll have his own room, so he won't hafta sleep on th' floor any more," she commented as she started walking, "reckon that means I might hafta learn some real cookin'."

@Jack

It was a bit of surprise that she'd hook her arm in his. A pleasant one, though. Jay smiled at her in return as they walked alongside each other.

"He'll be very happy about that but honestly, your barn and room wasn't a bad place. It's not about the rooms, it's about the love that lives inside." He said those rather poetic words and kept looking at her. Then he realized that he had been talking about her in terms of love. Now it was out and he had no intentions of taking it back.

"I've missed you." He admitted while they kept walking.

"I'm sorry, I left you at the dance. I even came back but you were gone."

"I reckoned ya had yer reasons."  She shrugged, not breaking stride.  "Figured ya had yer reasons an' it wasn't none'a my business.  No sense in me stayin' more."  She grinned widely, "Grabbed me some extra cookies an' headed on home before anyone could steal 'em!"

She'd actually been a little relieved that he hadn't come back, that way she hadn't had to deal with the confusing feelings she was having, although it had just postponed facing that...Since the dance, those thoughts hadn't left her alone, no matter how hard she tried to push them aside.

Now, here he was, and what was she going to say?

Well, there was the house, a good distraction, so she didn't have to say anything on anything awkward!

"That's it there."  Nodding, she indicated the little white house that set a bit off the road, behind a picket fence.  "Pretty, ain't it?  Might could grow some flowers, or maybe strawberries."

Grinning, she looked up at Jay.  "Ya know anything 'bout makin' a swing in a tree?"  Weedy would love that!

@Jack

Addy house.jpg

It was nice to spend a few moments alone with her again. There had been things that had not been said and Jay knew at some stage he needed to tell her.

The place she had found for herself and Weedy was beautiful. "That's better than your barn for sure." He smiled at her and nodded. "I can make him a swing and build you a rocking chair for that porch if you wish."

He took her by the hand and walked up to the porch with her, then sat down on the steps.

"I want to tell you why I ran away at the dance. There is something in my past that I haven't told you about. You really mean a lot to me and I would like there to be more between us. So if you want to know, I will tell you."

"That's better than your barn for sure." He smiled at her and nodded. "I can make him a swing and build you a rocking chair for that porch if you wish."

"He'd like that, 'specially if it was you done it for him."  From all Addy could tell, Jay was one of the few men that Weedy really trusted enough to open up to.  "An' him havin' his own room...he'll really like that."  After all, he was getting older and couldn't always be sleeping in the same room with her.

As he took her hand and walked her up the path to the step, then sat, Addy knew she couldn't ignore her feelings any more, nor did she want to, as much as that frightened her.

"I want to tell you why I ran away at the dance. There is something in my past that I haven't told you about. You really mean a lot to me and I would like there to be more between us. So if you want to know, I will tell you."

"If ya want me ta know, tell me."  Secrets weren't good, and she had to wonder what his was.  Of course, the very day she'd found him in that barn in Whitefish she'd suspected there was more to his story than he was saying, but his character had quickly dispelled any misgivings, and she'd figured it didn't matter.

Now that he was admitting there was something, she'd best hear it out, because she reckoned that was better than what her imagination could come up with!

"Don't worry, I promise not ta shoot ya."   She grinned, although she was feeling a bit of misgiving...

@Jack

That she wouldn't instantly shoot him wasn't a given, so he was actual thankful for the promise.

"Good because you might want to after I tell you."

Jay had been going over this a million times in his head but now that he was actually going through with it, he still got very nervous. He had to take a few calming breaths before he said.

"I've done things in my past that I'm not proud of."

How could he word it to still be considered a good person? Was there a way?

"I've even commited crimes. For a while I've wanted to walk away from it but I never could until I got shot. It was my way of escaping my previous life. I deeply regret my past but it is what it is and I can only do better now."

He didn't even dare to look at her now. There was too much shame and guilt.

"I've done things in my past that I'm not proud of."

"Ain't we all," Addy muttered, trying to make light of the situation, worried about what he might say...she was growing fond of him.

"I've even committed crimes. For a while I've wanted to walk away from it but I never could until I got shot. It was my way of escaping my previous life. I deeply regret my past but it is what it is and I can only do better now."

...Committed crimes...that could mean any number of things, all bad, but some, she considered, worse than others, and suddenly, she questioned her own morals, what was right and wrong...or how right and how wrong.  And where was that line that was too far for redemption?

There was one thing she needed to know first.

"So...did ya ever kill a man that didn't need it?"

@Jack

Jay was willing to be open and honest with her now. She deserved to know the truth about him. He wasn't sure how she'd react to the whole truth but if she wanted it, he'd tell her.

"I will tell you whatever you want to know but can you promise me not to tell anyone?" Even that was too much to ask really.

"That didn't need it..." He repeated her words and wondered what she meant by it.

"I don't think so. I've never shot anyone on cold blood. I've only defended myself when I was being shot at but I have killed people." Gosh, it was hard to face that fact.

He didn't even want to look at Addy now.

"Ask me anything. Best do it now. I think I owe you this and then you can consider whether you still want me in your life."

'Defended himself...'  She knew what that meant for her, she'd been there more than once, but for an outlaw...people shooting at you were the victims, they had every right to shoot as someone robbing them, and as a robber, shooting back wasn't exactly what she would consider self defense.

But was she going to ask him to specify the circumstances?  After all, there was a possibility that his 'self defense' had been purely that, and she had to contemplate if she would dwell on pondering to the distraction of a relationship...

Best not to know, and not to worry on it, she finally decided.  Jay had well-shown the man he was, at least the man he was now, the man she wanted him to be, believed him to be, and that was the truth she would settle on.

Finally, after quite a bit of internal contemplation, she reached up to turn his chin toward her and kissed him full on the lips.

@Jack

Addy had become very dear to him. So had Weedy. He could imagine them being his family which was the closest he had ever gotten to it. 

So thevslowly passing moments after his confession were gruesome because he was very worried about her reaction. This could be the end of them...or worse. She could call the sheriff.

But none of that happened. Instead she kissed him and made him gasp. It wasn't a shy kiss on the cheek either but a clear statement that he was incredibly happy about. So he joined in the kiss, lips crashing against lips, soft sucking and caressing the softness. His hand was behind her neck pulling her closer until their bodies touched.

• Made Me Cry! 1

This was madness and foolishness, and it was just her luck that Addy had fallen for a fallen man...although that was not how she knew him, that was not the man she'd fallen in love with...and Addy did not fall in love lightly.

And even before they'd kissed she had made up her mind, and the delightful tingling that coursed through her at the kiss only sealed the deal for her.

Sighing, she scooted closer, not caring if anyone saw them, although that wasn't much of a possibility considering the over-grown yard, and for a long moment just relished the contact.  Finally, though, she pulled back, reaching up to caress his chin.

"This here house," she murmured, "got's two rooms, an' one's fer Weedy.  If you was ta stay with us...well, wouldn't be proper, would it, what with you an' me not...proper, ya know?"

@Jack

That kiss was so much needed. The longing for closeness to her, the attraction had been there from the moment she took him in. But he had never even dared to hope that there could be more. Suddenly there was and it was sealed with a kiss despite his confession.

Addy chose not to know his whole story but at least he had offered itvand was being truthful with her.

He watched her cheeks become pink after their lips parted and could still feel them lingering on his.

"Beautiful." He meant the kiss but it could be taken as an attribute of the home.

"We're not proper. No."

Would they ever be?

"I could come and visit...and since when do you care about peoples opinions. But it's better not to rile them up."

He took her hand. "Show me the inside."

Grinning, Addy gave his hand a squeeze and shrugged as they walked up the steps to the porch and opened the door.  Pity he hadn't taken her hint, so she reckoned at some point she just might have to out-and-out propose to him, if he didn't get around to it first.

"I don't much care what people think'a me," she declared as she stepped into the main room, "but I got Weedy ta think on now..  Boy's already had too much controversy in his life, don't need me makin' it more."

Stepping aside, she gave him room to move past her.  This downstairs area was just one big room with a large stone fireplace at one side and the kitchen stove and ice box at the other.  The only furniture was a table in the kitchen area...Addy would have to find furniture somewhere.

"Rooms'er upstairs.  Ain't much, but it's better'n th' room in th' barn."

@Jack

Jay stepped inside and had a look around. He noticed the missing furniture and instantly suggested. "I can build you some chairs or a bench, whichever you prefer." Then he fiddled around with his hat in hands while he looked upwards towards the other rooms.

"So..are you adopting Weedy or is he just staying with you?" It was better if the whole thing was official and the boy had a permanent secure home.

"If you want, I'll help you with some tasks...you know...things that I might be able to teach him or talk to him about since he's got no real pa. Not that I'm any good at it but I can try."

He took the creaky steps upwards and saw the rooms. There was no inside bathroom like in some rich homes.

"I like it. It's quaint. Good fit for the two of you."

He entered the bedroom and followed his instinct to pull her closer again and kiss her. This time with more passion. Jay gently sucked on her lips and caressed them with his.

"I can build you some chairs or a bench, whichever you prefer."

"Yeah, sure, chairs would be mostly appreciated!" Addy commented with a smile, "an' there's some wood in th' back'a th' barn we might could use."  She'd been thinking on doing something like that in her free time, but it would be far safer if someone who had an idea of what they were doing took on the task!

"So..are you adopting Weedy or is he just staying with you?"

"Would like ta adopt him formal, but can't do that just yet, 'til we know if he's got other family."  So far so good on that, and she still held open the option of running to Canada..."Mean time, he's mine an' I'll do th' best I can by him."

"If you want, I'll help you with some tasks...you know...things that I might be able to teach him or talk to him about since he's got no real pa. Not that I'm any good at it but I can try."[/b]

"Be better'n what I could do," she chuckled.  As much as she was in a man's profession and occasionally dressed like a man, she knew she couldn't give the boy the lessons a man could.  "Have him help ya with them chairs."  Weedy would love that!

"So, this here's th' rest of it," she said as they stepped onto the upstairs landing. 

"I like it. It's quaint. Good fit for the two of you."

"Yeah, it's gonna be real nice fer..." 

Oh, hallelujah Moses, an' hold th' horses!

Caught completely off guard, Addy's instinct was to resist, but that only lasted a split second before she gave in and pressed into the kiss.  Sure, she'd been kissed before, but that had been in a haze of alcohol and lust, nothing like this...she cared about him, more, if she would admit it to herself...

For now, she was content to let the sensations wash over her, to make that connection to a man she was coming to love, and that she didn't want to lose him.

"That was...right nice." she murmured, giving him a crooked smile...she really didn't know how to be courted, but she reckoned if this was it, she was more than happy to allow it.

@Jack