Total Topics
    Total Posts

Movin' On Up

Mature Content: No

With: Addy & Jay
When: April/ 24 / 1875
Time of Day: TAfternoon

content-divider.png

The news about her 'adopting' Weedy was unexpected and then not. The boy had been living with her for a while and they knew his mother was dead. His father most likely, too.

"Wow, that's a big step. I mean it is and it isn't. He's been living with you forever but now it's official, eh? Does Weedy know?"

"Yeah, yeah, me an' Speed Guyer told him a week'er so back.  Didn't take it well at first, can't say as I'd blame him, but he's settled down," she explained, "an' now i reckon he ought not be livin' in a barn."

"I'd like to see your place. You've already found a new one? We haven't seen each other that long?"

"Been a few days."  Smiling, she shrugged.  "Seems like we just got busy an' life got away from us."  Or maybe they were both avoiding something they didn't understand or know how to approach?

"Why don't you show me."

"Yeah, sure."  She stood.  "I think you'll like it."  Taking a breath, she watched him for a moment, maybe being a bit hesitant, but then she hooked her arm in his, making that contact, but it seemed less intimate than holding hands.  "Weedy'll have his own room, so he won't hafta sleep on th' floor any more," she commented as she started walking, "reckon that means I might hafta learn some real cookin'."

@Jack

It was a bit of surprise that she'd hook her arm in his. A pleasant one, though. Jay smiled at her in return as they walked alongside each other.

"He'll be very happy about that but honestly, your barn and room wasn't a bad place. It's not about the rooms, it's about the love that lives inside." He said those rather poetic words and kept looking at her. Then he realized that he had been talking about her in terms of love. Now it was out and he had no intentions of taking it back.

"I've missed you." He admitted while they kept walking.

"I'm sorry, I left you at the dance. I even came back but you were gone."

"I reckoned ya had yer reasons."  She shrugged, not breaking stride.  "Figured ya had yer reasons an' it wasn't none'a my business.  No sense in me stayin' more."  She grinned widely, "Grabbed me some extra cookies an' headed on home before anyone could steal 'em!"

She'd actually been a little relieved that he hadn't come back, that way she hadn't had to deal with the confusing feelings she was having, although it had just postponed facing that...Since the dance, those thoughts hadn't left her alone, no matter how hard she tried to push them aside.

Now, here he was, and what was she going to say?

Well, there was the house, a good distraction, so she didn't have to say anything on anything awkward!

"That's it there."  Nodding, she indicated the little white house that set a bit off the road, behind a picket fence.  "Pretty, ain't it?  Might could grow some flowers, or maybe strawberries."

Grinning, she looked up at Jay.  "Ya know anything 'bout makin' a swing in a tree?"  Weedy would love that!

@Jack

Addy house.jpg

It was nice to spend a few moments alone with her again. There had been things that had not been said and Jay knew at some stage he needed to tell her.

The place she had found for herself and Weedy was beautiful. "That's better than your barn for sure." He smiled at her and nodded. "I can make him a swing and build you a rocking chair for that porch if you wish."

He took her by the hand and walked up to the porch with her, then sat down on the steps.

"I want to tell you why I ran away at the dance. There is something in my past that I haven't told you about. You really mean a lot to me and I would like there to be more between us. So if you want to know, I will tell you."

"That's better than your barn for sure." He smiled at her and nodded. "I can make him a swing and build you a rocking chair for that porch if you wish."

"He'd like that, 'specially if it was you done it for him."  From all Addy could tell, Jay was one of the few men that Weedy really trusted enough to open up to.  "An' him havin' his own room...he'll really like that."  After all, he was getting older and couldn't always be sleeping in the same room with her.

As he took her hand and walked her up the path to the step, then sat, Addy knew she couldn't ignore her feelings any more, nor did she want to, as much as that frightened her.

"I want to tell you why I ran away at the dance. There is something in my past that I haven't told you about. You really mean a lot to me and I would like there to be more between us. So if you want to know, I will tell you."

"If ya want me ta know, tell me."  Secrets weren't good, and she had to wonder what his was.  Of course, the very day she'd found him in that barn in Whitefish she'd suspected there was more to his story than he was saying, but his character had quickly dispelled any misgivings, and she'd figured it didn't matter.

Now that he was admitting there was something, she'd best hear it out, because she reckoned that was better than what her imagination could come up with!

"Don't worry, I promise not ta shoot ya."   She grinned, although she was feeling a bit of misgiving...

@Jack

That she wouldn't instantly shoot him wasn't a given, so he was actual thankful for the promise.

"Good because you might want to after I tell you."

Jay had been going over this a million times in his head but now that he was actually going through with it, he still got very nervous. He had to take a few calming breaths before he said.

"I've done things in my past that I'm not proud of."

How could he word it to still be considered a good person? Was there a way?

"I've even commited crimes. For a while I've wanted to walk away from it but I never could until I got shot. It was my way of escaping my previous life. I deeply regret my past but it is what it is and I can only do better now."

He didn't even dare to look at her now. There was too much shame and guilt.

"I've done things in my past that I'm not proud of."

"Ain't we all," Addy muttered, trying to make light of the situation, worried about what he might say...she was growing fond of him.

"I've even committed crimes. For a while I've wanted to walk away from it but I never could until I got shot. It was my way of escaping my previous life. I deeply regret my past but it is what it is and I can only do better now."

...Committed crimes...that could mean any number of things, all bad, but some, she considered, worse than others, and suddenly, she questioned her own morals, what was right and wrong...or how right and how wrong.  And where was that line that was too far for redemption?

There was one thing she needed to know first.

"So...did ya ever kill a man that didn't need it?"

@Jack

Jay was willing to be open and honest with her now. She deserved to know the truth about him. He wasn't sure how she'd react to the whole truth but if she wanted it, he'd tell her.

"I will tell you whatever you want to know but can you promise me not to tell anyone?" Even that was too much to ask really.

"That didn't need it..." He repeated her words and wondered what she meant by it.

"I don't think so. I've never shot anyone on cold blood. I've only defended myself when I was being shot at but I have killed people." Gosh, it was hard to face that fact.

He didn't even want to look at Addy now.

"Ask me anything. Best do it now. I think I owe you this and then you can consider whether you still want me in your life."

'Defended himself...'  She knew what that meant for her, she'd been there more than once, but for an outlaw...people shooting at you were the victims, they had every right to shoot as someone robbing them, and as a robber, shooting back wasn't exactly what she would consider self defense.

But was she going to ask him to specify the circumstances?  After all, there was a possibility that his 'self defense' had been purely that, and she had to contemplate if she would dwell on pondering to the distraction of a relationship...

Best not to know, and not to worry on it, she finally decided.  Jay had well-shown the man he was, at least the man he was now, the man she wanted him to be, believed him to be, and that was the truth she would settle on.

Finally, after quite a bit of internal contemplation, she reached up to turn his chin toward her and kissed him full on the lips.

@Jack

Addy had become very dear to him. So had Weedy. He could imagine them being his family which was the closest he had ever gotten to it. 

So thevslowly passing moments after his confession were gruesome because he was very worried about her reaction. This could be the end of them...or worse. She could call the sheriff.

But none of that happened. Instead she kissed him and made him gasp. It wasn't a shy kiss on the cheek either but a clear statement that he was incredibly happy about. So he joined in the kiss, lips crashing against lips, soft sucking and caressing the softness. His hand was behind her neck pulling her closer until their bodies touched.

• JulieS locked this topic