Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• F. Falmer Browne was as impressed with Addy’s barn and selection of transportation impedimenta, including the draught animals who pulled the things as he was with Addy herself.   “Splendid! Splendid!” was all he could say as he peered about the place with a quick and intelligent eye. “A veritable Aladdin’s Cave!”   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   The slightly eccentric older gentleman approached the vehicle in question, hands clasped behind his back, head bent forward slightly, in a pose of complete and curious absorption – as if he was seeing, for the fist time, some fabulous beast of lore. He ducked down, quite lithely for his age, and came up again smiling broadly at Addy, a look of supreme satisfaction on his face at the condition of Miss Chappel’s springs.   “May I?” he asked, indicating that he would like to climb up onto the land ship.   Whilst happily bouncing there, he answered her question about the horses. “Yes, I would like you to take care of all the arrangements around horses, equipment, even hiring another hand if you think it meet, Miss Chappel. I leave all in your hands, no expense spared.”   He was clearly very pleased with the bounce on the wagon as well that of its driver.   “You know, I have many times observed you, reins in hand, piloting this very vehicle. If it is not too impertinent of me, may I ask from whence you obtained these skills, so unusual in an attractive young lady?” the old masher asked.  
    • "Yes, Miss Clara."  Grinning, Weedy handed her the bread.  She was at that awkward age for a boy, that she was too old to refer to by her given name, but really wasn't so old as to be a 'Ma'am'!   "Miz Addy sent some bread," he explained, holding out the package, then telling Clara what he'd told Wyatt.  "She got it from the Lickskillet, so she didn't cook it."  He grinned.  "She makes black bread!  And then the whole room smells burnt for a week!"  It was safe to say that, since she wasn't here!   @Wayfarer
    • As unorthodox as she was, Addy wasn't adverse to having her chair held, nor a door opened, and to that end she gave Mr. Browne a chance to open the saloon doors for her.  But the big doors to the front of the barn were something else, and she took it on herself to push one of the huge pair aside, flooding the open breezeway with light and eliciting eager nickers from the barn's occupants.   "Wagon's there," she nodded, "an' once ya check that over, I'll introduce ya to th' horses.  Ya got a saddle mount'a yer own?"  If he didn't have a horse, she could just bring Arabesque, the mare was accustomed to being ponied behind wagons.   @Javia
    • "Marshal Guyer?  Of course."  Emeline smiled as she poured coffee.  "I guess that means you can have whatever you'd like."  While it didn't happen often, it wasn't unheard of that someone was sent over from the jail for a meal, and they usually took full advantage, ordering a steak and potatoes, then pie.  She didn't mind, she was always paid.   "Oh and say.....could I have  Little Miss Pigtails wait on me? I'd like ta talk to her?"   "Oh, I'm sorry, there's no one here by that name."  Emeline smiled sweetly, really wanting to pour hot coffee in the boy's lap!  "So, what can I get for you?"  Mister No Manners, she added silently in her head.   @Wayfarer  
    • She stopped, a rider was coming, it only took a moment to see that it was her Pa, she lowered the Henry. That was a normal reaction for her to begin to shoulder the weapon. A woman on her own should take no chances.   She was anxious to hear all about Kalispell and the people he had met while he was there. It would be like him to stock up on goods while he was there, unless there was a problem with his getting paid, which happened time to time. Though she was not one to wear anything fancy, she did like to know about what the women he saw were wearing. She had trained him to notice.   He came into the yard with the pack horse in tow, obviously with a load of groceries. He paused a moment, as he usually always did before dismounting.   "Dang McClellan, ain't near a s comfortable as it once was." He complained as he usually did. "Might have ta get me one of them modern high backs. Might make this old man feel a sight better."   "I'll believe it when I see it, Amos Conroy." She had heard that one before.   "Lotsa calico, seen lotsa calico, but did see a couple ladies in their finery, Not like we saw in Denver, but purty high-falutin just the same." He reported.   "Thanks Pa." She smiled as she spoke.   "Saved the best fer last. Never guess who I run onto in town." He waited, but she didn't take the bait. He led the horses to the corral where he tied them.  Alice began unpacking the supplies, each taking part of them and starting for the house. At what they call the Municipal Bulidin' sittin' in his office was the town Marshal." He paused, she glared at him. "Speed Guyer, badge an' all." Still she said nothing but went about what she was doing.  "You remember Captain Guyer?"   "Thought you'd like to know." He said to her silence.

Mature Content: No

With: Emeline & Barnabas
When: Arpil/24 / 1876
Time of Day: Evening

content-divider.png

"Well, see that you don't. I'll be back directly." The Deputy stated, then turned and crossed the room,  mounting the staircase and climbed, taking two steps at a time. As he suspected the door was closed, so he rapped gently, "Em? It's me, Barnabas." He didn't just open the door, no he would wait in the event she might not be fully dressed.

Funny thing, he thought, that had never stopped him before, but this was far different than any other time with any other female. This was the woman he would marry in just a few weeks, or was it days. At the moment, he was not too sure of anything, but the bank robbers that survived were locked away, and the woman he loved was safe.

After closing out the world, Emeline had leaned with her head against the door for several moments, trying to gather her thoughts, trying to figure out how she was feeling, or how she should feel...

Anger...that was the strongest emotion.  Anger that people had died, anger that people had been put in a position to die, or to kill...Anger that she had been made to feel helpless and afraid...

Then...fear, of course, but a resigned sort of fear, an angry fear, that she might be unfairly robbed of her future with Barnabas...

Well, no sense fretting over what was done and over, especially since she'd come to no physical harm.  Sighing, she slowly slipped out of her dress, letting it fall in a heap on the floor, then looked down at her top petticoat.  There was a little blood there, too, but it could be washed out.  The dress was a loss.

It was still laying on the floor after she'd cleaned up and pulled on her robe...she'd worry about it later.  In the mean time, her tea had brewed.  Only as she poured it did she notice that her hands were trembling, and at the knock on the door she nearly dropped the cup.  As it was, she spilled some down the front of her robe, but then she heard Barnabas' voice and relaxed.

"Just a minute..."  Sighing, she set the cup down, then shrugged and started for the door.  She wasn't nearly 'decent', but she as covered, and frankly too weary to worry about appearances just now.

Up until she actually opened the door, she'd been doing a pretty good job of controlling her emotions, but as soon as she laid eyes on Barnabas, the tears started to flow, and she threw propriety to the wind and pushed into his arms.

@Flip

• Love 1

Up until she actually opened the door, she'd been doing a pretty good job of controlling her emotions, but as soon as she laid eyes on Barnabas, the tears started to flow, and she threw propriety to the wind and pushed into his arms.

Barnabas stepped back with one leg the buoy himself against her as he was totally unprepared for her actions. Not that holding her was anything but pleasure. “Easy girl, I gotcha. You’re safe.” He said in low, loving tones as he held her close. “Nuthin’ for ya to fear. All’s quiet. Them we caught are locked up, tight.” He assured her. “We might step inside, or I can wait out here till ya dress some.” He suggested, his tone not wavering.

It was what they called a trauma, hers was a natural reaction to the expected by the unexpected. He could feel his anger rising, that someone would do this to here, it was quelled by the knowledge that yes, they had those responsible in custody, and they would be dealt with.

“Or, we can stand right here as long as you want. Ain’t like we’re out in public. I’ll hold you til the cows come home, and be glad of it.” He assured her, and nuzzled the side of her head with his.

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Standing' right here' was perfectly fine with Emeline for now, and she nodded against his shoulder, for whatever that referred to, then just pressed against him for several moments, letting her nerves settle.

But finally, she was acutely aware that there was only the barrier between them was the thin material of her robe, and as much as his embrace was helping to steady her, it wasn't proper...yet.

Stepping back, she sniffled and wiped her tears, then folded her arms around herself.  "I'm all right."  She gave Barnabas a half-smile.  "I'm not happy about any of it, of course, but things like that will happen, I suppose."  Sighing, she shrugged.  "I just feel...I don't know...unsettled?  As if I should be doing something, but I don't know what."

There was all that excess adrenaline, with no place to vent, and it was making her shaky, at least until it wore off completely and she 'crashed'.

@Flip

Stepping back, she sniffled and wiped her tears, then folded her arms around herself.  "I'm all right."  She gave Barnabas a half-smile.  "I'm not happy about any of it, of course, but things like that will happen, I suppose."  Sighing, she shrugged.  "I just feel...I don't know...unsettled?  As if I should be doing something, but I don't know what."

"What’s there to be happy about, 'ceptin’ we’re both here to be unhappy about what happened.” He said softly. “Things like this do happen out here. That’s a fact of life we deal with, but those men were not from around here, wanted in several places, but not in Montana. You’ll see, things will slip back to normal and life in Kalispell will go on like always, slow and dull."

There was all that excess adrenaline, with no place to vent, and it was making her shaky, at least until it wore off completely and she 'crashed'.

“You’ll remember this, it’ll be with you a while. Can’t be nothin’ else. But you got me, this café, the folks you know. You’re strong Em, real strong. This will pass, I promise.”

@Bongo

"I know," Emeline sighed, "it's just never pleasant to be reminded."  Turning, she moved back into the room, nodding at him to come in as well.  "I just hated feeling so helpless, even though there was nothing I could really do."  Meaning there was nothing anyone could do, even a man, without getting killed like Mr. Olson had. 

"Except then he was going to shoot you, and..."  Huffing, she squared her shoulders.  "I was having none of that!  He has no idea how hard it is to find a good dish washer in this god-forsaken territory!"

At that, she started to laugh, perhaps a bit hysterically, as the tension started to release...

@Flip

"Except then he was going to shoot you, and..."  Huffing, she squared her shoulders.  "I was having none of that!  He has no idea how hard it is to find a good dish washer in this god-forsaken territory!"

At that, she started to laugh, perhaps a bit hysterically, as the tension started to release...

Barnabas felt the mood break with her laughter which, infected him as well and they both laughed together. “Ain’t that the truth! Reckon they never figured on dealin’ with a dishwasher neither. Nor a derringer totin’ business woman!” If it was possible, his relief was so overwhelming, that he pulled her to him and, without warning, kissed her full on the mouth.

@Bongo

"That will teach th..!"  Emeline was startled as he pulled her into the kiss, but she wasn't going to resist.  In fact, she pressed to him, returning the kiss perhaps more passionately than was proper, but for the moment, she let propriety fall away.  She had missed this sort of contact and intimacy so much, and it felt so good not to have to rely solely on herself.

Just a couple weeks, and he'd never have to leave, and they'd never have to worry about what was right and proper.

But that was still a couple of weeks off, and proper was proper.  Stepping back, she looked up at him with a smile.  "Let me put on something and we can go for a walk.  I was going to have Clara take some food over to the jail, but we can do that."  She shrugged.  "I'm just giving away what I have already made for the day and closing early."

She surely didn't feel like working the rest of the day.

@Flip

"Reckon I should apologize for that, but I ain't gonna." He said quietly. "But I'm thinking it'd be best was you to put on some clothes and I'll meet you down stairs." He smiled. "Just for supper, mine's likely cold by now anyways, but like I said, I left ol' Dutton Peabody with Clara, which ain't hardly fair."

He looked at her, his hands still gently grasping her shoulders. "I love you, Em, an' you're safe now. Trust that." And he reluctantly released her.

@Bongo

"I accept your not-apology," Emeline chuckled, taking his hand and giving it a quick squeeze.  "Soon, it won't matter, and for now, you can not apologize any time you like!  And by all means, rescue poor Clara!"

She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.  "Give me five minutes."  She closed the door then quickly donned the layers of clothing that made up a 'simple' skirt and blouse.  Tossing a short cape over her shoulders, she then trotted down the stairs to the kitchen.

"How are things going, Clara?" she asked with a smile, feeling a bit back to normal now.  "You can go now, if you'd like, Barnabas and I can take food over to the jail.  And if there's still some pie, please, take some with you, I know how much your father and Wyatt like it."

Her smile faded a bit.  "Just please, be careful going home."

@Wayfarer; @Flip

"I accept your not-apology," Emeline chuckled, taking his hand and giving it a quick squeeze.  "Soon, it won't matter, and for now, you can not apologize any time you like!  And by all means, rescue poor Clara!"

Pike was grinning, “Mighty big of you ma’am, an’ sure enough it ain’t gonna matter an iota real soon now.

She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.  "Give me five minutes."  She closed the door then quickly donned the layers of clothing that made up a 'simple' skirt and blouse.  Tossing a short cape over her shoulders, she then trotted down the stairs to the kitchen.

Pike headed back down the stairs and over to the table where Dutton Peabody awaited him, as did his food, which had cooled some by then. He watched Em cross the room weaving between the rough hewn tables and chairs to where Clara was.

Clara was setting some used plates into the sink when she saw movement out of the corner of her eye and turned to see her employer.

"How are things going, Clara?" the woman asked with a smile.

"Everything is fine. We had a few customers. By the way, Mr. Peabody and I had quite the conversation. That man sure has been thru a lot, that is if he is to be believed. Between you and me, I am dubious," Clara replied.

Emeline now stated,  "You can go now, if you'd like, Barnabas and I can take food over to the jail.  And if there's still some pie, please, take some with you, I know how much your father and Wyatt like it."

"Are you certain that you are feeling up to it? I do not mind staying on..." Clara started but it did seem like Emeline looked more like her regular self now again.

"There is half an apple pie left, thank you, my hungry menfolk will appreciate it," Clara would definitely take advantage of her offer.

Emeline wished her a safe trip back home.

"Well, all the bank robbers are either waiting for a burial or in that jailhouse, so I should be fine."

Before Clara could grab the pie and leave she just had to say one last thing.

"You were so brave out there today, it was amazing. If anything had happened to you, I do not know if I could stand it. I mean...first my mother and then you?  Thank the lord you are fine!"

It was as close to an admission how she regarded her employer and friend and...yes, mother figure.

Even though she knew that Clara didn't particularly care for physical contact, Emeline moved close and pulled her into a hug.  "Don't you worry, I'm not going anywhere."  Then she took a half step back before smiling and whispering, "Between you and me, I was terrified.  But giving into that never helps."

It wasn't always easy, but if you let emotions overrun you in a stressful situation, you were bound to lose.  Of course, you might lose anyway, but at least it wouldn't be because you'd curled in a ball and given up!

"Enjoy the rest of your day, and I'll see you in the morning."

She walked with the girl as far as the table where Barnabas was, where she stopped and nodded to the men.  "Mister Peabody.  How are you today?"  She could probably scrounge up some bread and soup to send home with him.

@Flip; @Wayfarer

"Miss Emily, how radiant you look!" Dutton exclaimed, as he was prone to do. "A ray of sunshine in this vast wilderness called Montana. And the Shepherds Pie is beyond compare."

It was simply his way. There was no fraud in his statements and many could attest. If Dutton Peabody Esquire did not like someone or something, he left no doubt, especially politics. It had often been said that he was a blowhard. That his tales of Washington DC were fabricated through an addled mind.

He had been all of the things that he stated he was, and his claims of nearly being appointed to the Supreme Court were true. They had been verified more than once, yet not in Kalispell. There really was no reason.He touted his legal background, but staunchly refused to practice law.

"Once in Hodgenville, Kentucky, Abraham Lincoln's birthplace, I chanced to have a pie, nearly as good as this, yes, nearly, but your crust is far superior." He looked at Barnabas with a quick side glance, "And this one, why Miss Emily, you must seize him and take him to Pastor Gideon Evans and marry him up as quickly as you can!" He smiled widely, then took another bite of the pie.

image.jpeg.4868ed12fbf18b9df0845e78bce8ba0b.jpeg

@Bongo

Even though she knew that Clara didn't particularly care for physical contact, Emeline moved close and pulled her into a hug.  "Don't you worry, I'm not going anywhere." 

It was true, Clara, for reasons unknown even to herself, did not handle contact very well and sure enough she stiffened for just an instant. But it was not because she did not appreciate the gesture the woman made, she idolized Emeline.

"I hope not," she cracked a bit of a smile.

Then the woman  took a half step back before smiling and whispering, "Between you and me, I was terrified.  But giving into that never helps."

"You had every right to be terrified," Clara completely understood.

"Enjoy the rest of your day, and I'll see you in the morning."

"I will and you too. Good day to you, Mr. Peabody," she nodded toward the old fellow then headed toward the back.

She would not forget the offered pie before leaving.

"Good day to you too,  Mr. Pike," Clara acknowledged the man who was going to be marryine Emeline.

"Miss Emily, how radiant you look!" Dutton exclaimed, as he was prone to do. "A ray of sunshine in this vast wilderness called Montana. And the Shepherds Pie is beyond compare."

"And your flattery is gladly accepted, Mr. Peabody."  Emeline blushed a little as she smiled, finding that the man's comments helping to lift her spirits, but then, he was always quick with a kind word.

"Once in Hodgenville, Kentucky, Abraham Lincoln's birthplace, I chanced to have a pie, nearly as good as this, yes, nearly, but your crust is far superior."

"Oh, well, it's because I use as cold water as I can get," she started to explain, then laughed.  "Thank you, and Miss Redmond is a great help with that as well.  She's an excellent baker."

"And this one, why Miss Emily, you must seize him and take him to Pastor Gideon Evans and marry him up as quickly as you can!" He smiled widely, then took another bite of the pie.

"I have every intention of doing just that!"  Chuckling, she sat in an empty chair, then glanced over as Clara walked past.

"Good day to you too,  Mr. Pike,"

"Good afternoon, Clara, and again, please be careful."  She would suggest that Barnabas escort her home, but she wasn't sure Clara would appreciate that.

@Flip

"I have every intention of doing just that!"  Chuckling, she sat in an empty chair, then glanced over as Clara walked past.

"Good day to you too,  Mr. Pike,"

"Good day Miss Redmond." Pike responded. The girl had been of immense help to Emeline, and had covered for him at the sink when duty had called.

"Good afternoon, Clara, and again, please be careful."  She would suggest that Barnabas escort her home, but she wasn't sure Clara would appreciate that.

"Smart girl!" He exclaimed. He nodded to Clara."And so, Miss Emeline, I must bid you farewell as I have other appointments waiting. Again, the pie was par excellence! Deputy, my appreciation for your assistance with the meal this evening. If ever you, either of you, require my assistance, do not hesitate to call on me."

Pike looked up as Dutton rose from the table. "Was you to stay sober, Marshal Guyer might could use your help. He's holdin' them two bank robbers for trial. An' Miss Mercer's out of town at the present."

Dutton looked at the deputy a long moment. "I shall see him in the morning. And perhaps Miss Emeline, I shall stop in for breakfast. For you." He laid a silver dollar on the table. "Good afternoon," and with that he walked out.

Barnabas looked at Em, "If he don't end up in the hoosegow again tonight. Flandry said he'd toss him out on his ear next time he causes a ruckus." He smiled. "I ever tell you I'm kinda partial to you?"

image.jpeg.cac3ff6200e37b4345db88393b254071.jpeg

@Bongo

"Smart girl!" He exclaimed. He nodded to Clara."And so, Miss Emeline, I must bid you farewell as I have other appointments waiting. Again, the pie was par excellence! Deputy, my appreciation for your assistance with the meal this evening. If ever you, either of you, require my assistance, do not hesitate to call on me."

"Of course, Mr. Peabody."  Emeline smiled and nodded to the man, adding, "and the same goes for me."  There were a few who she helped out, after all, there was no sense in food going to waste at the end of the day, and as long as he wasn't so intoxicated that he caused trouble, she didn't mind the old man coming around.

"Was you to stay sober, Marshal Guyer might could use your help. He's holdin' them two bank robbers for trial. An' Miss Mercer's out of town at the present."

Dutton looked at the deputy a long moment. "I shall see him in the morning. And perhaps Miss Emeline, I shall stop in for breakfast. For you." He laid a silver dollar on the table. "Good afternoon," and with that he walked out.

"Thank you, sir."  Startled at the generous coin, Emeline smiled and nodded, then looked to Barnabas.  "An interesting fellow, that."  It was hard to tell how much of his talk was fabricated, how much was exaggeration and how much was true.  No matter, he seemed a good man...

Barnabas looked at Em, "If he don't end up in the hoosegow again tonight. Flandry said he'd toss him out on his ear next time he causes a ruckus." He smiled. "I ever tell you I'm kinda partial to you?"

"Oh, a time or two."  Grinning, Emeline reached over and gave his hand a squeeze, then stood and started to gather the dishes.  For now, she'd just leave them in the sink and take care of the details later.  "Shall we get the food over to the jail now?  Is Marshal Guyer minding things there?"

If Barnabas was here, certainly someone was keeping an eye on the brigands in the cells?

@Flip

"Shall we get the food over to the jail now?  Is Marshal Guyer minding things there?"

If Barnabas was here, certainly someone was keeping an eye on the brigands in the cells?

“Yep he’s there alright. I’ll spell him after I walk you back here. He’s a bit uneasy with Case in there. Fact is, there’s a pallet on the floor, I’ll be spendin’ the night. His turn tommara night.”

“He refused to negotiate Case’s release with that sidewinder Cole Latham. Takin’ him to trial an’ he’s purtty sure words already gone out to the Evergreen, so, he’s expectin’ the worst. The old man, he won’t be happy and he’s got him a bunch of men to do somethin’ about it.” Barnabas explained. “Could be more trouble afore that circuit judge gets here.”

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)
  • Like 1

"Oh, well, if you have to stay the night, I'll grab a whole pie, and you have no obligation to share!"  Emeline chuckled as she led the way to the kitchen, where she set the plates in the sink then started dishing the remaining stew into a smaller pot.  "You can grab some plates and spoons and put them in a basket," she requested, "you know how many you need."

Sounded like the jail was busy this evening, and while she was worried about Barnabas being there alone, especially with a Steelgrave incarcerated, she wouldn't mention anything.

Placing a lid on the stew pot, she glanced at Barnabas.  "Is there anything else you think you'll need?"  As flippant as she had been about offering meals for the prisoners, she was starting to get a little nervous about seeing the robbers again, but she felt it was something she needed to do.

@Flip

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)