• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Emeline nodded silently as the rabbit was pointed out, slowly taking the rifle from Barnabas.  She'd done some hunting, but it had been a while, so she wasn't too sure of her skill, especially with and unfamiliar weapon.  At least they weren't going to starve if she missed.   Bringing the weapon up, she took careful aim, but then muttered, "But Barnabas, he's so cute!  Can't we keep him?"   Then she squeezed the trigger, causing the rabbit to jump.  But as he leapt up and spun, he tumbled back and went limp, falling to the dirt in a motionless heap.   "No pet bunny," Emeline sighed, handing the rifle back.  "Build me a fire and I'll cook you a rabbit!"    @Flip        
    • "I'm sorry Clara.  Maybe I should have made my intentions more clearer but I thought you were and are still too young.  To say that I am pleased about your marriage would be a lie."   Clara frowned but that sounded turned into a glare. And after she had just told him she wished for the very best for his new law career.   "The only thing I can offer you is that I hope that your husband will do his best when the future comes and that you won't suffer if he doesn't."   She was not going to stand here and be hurt like this. Oh, she wanted to say more but what good would it do and what difference would it make? None.   "We are done here. I will never make the same mistake again of trying to talk to you. We have nothing further to say. Good day to you, Deputy," she said thru gritted teeth then stepped to one side of him and kept on walking.  
    • Brendan flew over the crest of the rise on Fiona with the rest of the riders and tried to pick out the rustlers from where their gunshots were coming from. It was hard, with the intermittent flashes from the gunfire giving only a little clarity to their attacker's figures. He rode bent low on Fiona's neck and stretched his pistol out in front of him. Somewhere on the way to the paddocks he had lost track of José, but there was no time to worry about him now.   A spattering of gunfire came from ahead and in the resulting light, he caught sight of a fellow on a horse across the paddock. He pointed his pistol and squeezed the trigger once. In the dark, with the motion of his horse, and the uncertainty of the whole situation, there was no way of knowing if his shot would even hit. He shot again in hopes that he would at least hit something.   Shooting in the dark was a lot different than shooting at rattlesnakes or beer bottles in the daytime, and neither of those things he'd practiced on ever shot back. These men would shoot back.
    • Brendan chuckled. "Dream? Nah, my dream is to lay around all day with nothin' to do. But this ain't so bad." Now that he thought about it, he didn't really have a dream. Besides being rich someday. There wasn't anything wrong with drifting, but it certainly wasn't the dream.   He led the way into the stable and pointed to an empty stall. "That one can be hers. Oats are in the corner over there if she wants any." He pointed this time to a large sack labeled "oats" stacked on several others like it.   Then he went over to his horse's stall. "This here's Fiona. She's mine." He patted her chestnut nose fondly and entered the stall to start putting her tack on. He was in no hurry to get out on the range, and José's horse needed some time to be fed and watered, so he took his time and even brushed Fiona's coat a bit before putting the saddle on.   "You ever ridden for a place this big before?" he asked, glancing back at the Mexican. It was highly unlikely. Steelgrave had one of the biggest places in Montana and probably in the whole of the territories. Probably.
    • Jay was listening, Addy was pleased with that, and he seemed to understand what she was trying to say, and that made her happy, but then he hesitated and she tried to explain a bit more.   "Yer different, Jay, I didn't never think any man could..."   But then he took her hand and was kneeling in front of her, and her head started screaming, 'No, no, no...don't...'  But her heart was soaring, and her head eagerly followed...   "Addy, do you want to become my wife?"   "I do that."  Grinning, she nodded and squeezed his hands, then pulling him up into a hug.  As much as she had resisted, she'd been wanting this for some time, and she knew he had too, so as quiet and simple as this was, it was all she'd ever hoped for.   And since the words had already been said, it was time to kiss, so she did!   @Jack        
Weedy

Wyatt Has a Caller

Helping secure the box, Weedy took the far end of the rope and dallied it around the saddle horn, then took Arabesque's lead again.  "Come on, girl." 

The horse moved forward, hesitating for a few steps as the weight started to drag, but then moving forward readily, towing the box through bushes and over dirt bumps.

Back at the barn, the chest and horse seemed unscathed, and now Weedy had another concern.  "We should hide it in the barn," he suggested, "in case your sister comes along and wants to take it."  After all, she'd given up her rights when she'd walked away from it, right?

@Wayfarer

"We did it!" Wyatt declared with his hands on hips and bare chest puffed out with pride, "Alright so the horse did most of it."  Least he was willing to share the credit.

He then knelt down by the box to remove the rope.

"We should hide it in the barn," Weedy suddenly suggested, "in case your sister comes along and wants to take it."

Speak of the devil who should come out of the front door of the house and head straight for them.  Wyatt however wasn't worried and whispered, "No she's not like that."

Clara spotted the old chest and of course instantly recognized it from that momentous day at the lake with Jacob.  Why the pair had so ....busy ....that they had simply forgot they had retrieved it from the lake's bottom.

"Oh goodness, I see you boys found the chest. Jacob and I had quite a time pulling it out of the water," she remarked.

Wyatt nodded, "We're gonna open it up if we can. And keep whatever is in it, if it's something valuable."

"Well then, good luck with that. Weedy, I would watch out about sunburn. With your hair color, you probably burn easily," Clara observed.

Weedy stiffened as Clara approached, certain that she was going to ask for a cut of the loot, and even after she only chided him about getting a burn, he wasn't convinced that she wouldn't come back, wanting in on anything good they'd find. 

"Yes, ma'am." He'd been too caught up in the treasure to worry about the shirt, but now it pulled it off the saddle and tossed it on without buttoning it, sort of a moot gesture now that they were in the barn!

"So..." he looked at Wyatt and shrugged, "you got an axe or something?"

@Wayfarer

"And did we not discuss this previously? You do not need to call me ma'am, Weedy. Clara is fine," the older girl pointed out softly . At least the boy was respectful. Addy was doing a fine job with the child.

"Well, I came out to tell you that lunch is almost ready. You two should wash up and come in then," she apparently did not even notice the chest.

And with that she headed back into the farmhouse.

"So..." he looked at Wyatt and shrugged, "you got an axe or something?"

"We do, sure. But we also have a sledge hammer, Pa uses it to break up big rocks out in the fields," Wyatt declared.

"We should eat though, build up our strength for the work ahead of us," the boy grinned.

While Weedy was itching to bust the thing open, he figured Wyatt was right...he was pretty hungry, and it might take some time to open the chest, then explore all the loot, so they may as well go in to eat now.

"Guess if we don't go in they'll get suspicious, and we don't want anyone coming out to see what we're doing."  He didn't want to share their treasure!

At least he knew that Clara was a good cook, so the food would be great!

@Wayfarer

"Guess if we don't go in they'll get suspicious, and we don't want anyone coming out to see what we're doing."  It was pretty obvious Weedy was not willing to share, Wyatt noted. In all fairness, his sister and that boy of hers found the chest. At times Wyatt could be pretty defensive about his sister, they were family after all.

The boys raced into the farm cabin but Clara never even let them get to the kitchen table.

"Ahhh, ahh ahh! You two wash your hands first. Wyatt you know better," she chided.

As the pair turned back then to go to the well to the side of the building, she loudly added.

"And Wyatt!  Will you kindly put your shirt back on, you are not some Indian savage!"

Wyatt rolled his eyes and glanced at Weedy, "Girls."

"Girls!" Weedy emulated his friend, although the only 'girl' he had any lengthy experience with was Addy, and he knew that she wasn't at all like most girls, but that didn't stop him from wanting to seem like he knew what that meant!

At least he had his shirt on, and Miss Clara had been right, he knew to wash his hands before meals, so he glanced at Wyatt and shrugged then followed him out, washing his hands, then going back into the house. 

"I am pretty hungry," the boy commented, he'd learned long ago not to turn down a meal, and even though now he knew he'd never have to go without one again, he still appreciated any food!  "Maybe there will be some cookies after!" he whispered to his companion.  Those cookies at the dance had been so good, and Clara had helped to make them...and it was only proper to have something special for guests, right?

@Wayfarer

As the boys trooped back in and plopped down on seats, Clara nodded approvingly. She had a nice lunch ready for them too. There was cornbread with a choice of honey or butter. She knew Wyatt would pick the honey as they only put that out for special occasions. She had fried up some bacon too, enough so each boy could have three slices. She hoped the boy liked bacon, her father and brother loved it! Then some baked beans sweetened with molasses. Finally some fresh milk in a pitcher the boys could share, cups by their plates.

Wyatt almost started reaching for the closest available dish when he heard Clara clearing her throat awful loudly. Oh yeah!

"Weedy, we gotta say our prayers," he clasped his hands together in the proper prayer manner.

"Thank you Lord for the food.....Amen," there, now they could get at it.

"Well, that was heartfelt," Clara sighed.

Wyatt glanced up, "Umm, yeah, right."   Whatever that meant.

Of course he went for the bacon first, "Hey, six slices. We can each get three."

westrpgson2.jpg

The spread was impressive, and Weedy's eyes widened as his stomach growled.  Lunch with Miss Addy was usually and apple and maybe a biscuit or slice of bread, and he knew that the drover often skipped the meal herself.  But this was amazing!

He sat in a chair and was reaching for a chunk of cornbread when Wyatt reminded him of his manners, and he quickly pulled back, folding his hands and bowing his head.

"Weedy, we gotta say our prayers," he clasped his hands together in the proper prayer manner.

"Thank you Lord for the food.....Amen," there, now they could get at it.

"Amen!"  Now for the good part!

"Well, that was heartfelt," Clara sighed.

Wyatt glanced up, "Umm, yeah, right."   Whatever that meant.

"And bless the hands that made it," Weedy added hastily to hopefully make Clara feel better, "Amen!"

"Hey, six slices. We can each get three."

It never occurred to Weedy that there was just one option for the cornbread, so he slathered a chunk with butter, then drizzled honey over that.  He started to tuck in, but then stopped long enough to be polite.

"This is real good, Mis...Clara.  The bacon is just right!"  Then he glanced at Wyatt.  "Isn't your Pa coming in for lunch, too?"

@Wayfarer

"And bless the hands that made it," Weedy added hastily to hopefully make Clara feel better, "Amen!"

Clara glanced his way, "Oh thank you, how sweet of you to say that."

Wyatt just rolled his eyes then started eating as did his friend. Clara was content to just watch, she could always eat later. Being obviously familiar with her brother's hurried eating style, she knew she wouldn't need to wait long.

"This is real good, Mis...Clara.  The bacon is just right!"  Then he glanced at Wyatt.  "Isn't your Pa coming in for lunch, too?"

"He's over at Hadley's farm, helping old man Hadley," Wyatt answered as he chewed on bacon.

"Mr. Hadley, " Clara corrected.

"Right," Wyatt nodded.

"Glad you like the bacon. I am fortunate in that all of our family likes it the same way. Nice and crispy," Clara pointed out.

"Weedy sez Addy can't cook any good at all," Wyatt now engaged in a bit of gossip.

"Not all of us have the same skills. Now me, I cannot drive a stagecoach like Addy does. Or for that matter, shoot a dangerous grizzly," Clara came to the woman's defense.

"Yes, ma'am....er, Clara!"  Weedy still wasn't used to calling older ladies by just their proper names, so it would take a little time.  Of course, being right here at their house would probably help with that.  "Miss Addy just shot that bear that killed her horse, then she and Marshal Guyer give the carcass to the Indians!  Feed them for a couple weeks, she said!"

He laughed.  "'Course, that means without her cooking it!"  But Clara was right, there were things Addy could do that a lot of other ladies couldn't (or didn't), and there were plenty of things regular ladies did that Addy didn't (or wouldn't!). 

"But I'm glad you and Mrs. Emeline can cook, so sometimes there's good food!  Maybe I should learn to cook?"  That way, Addy wouldn't have to worry about it.

@Wayfarer

Weedy declared that Add had given the bear carcass to Indians so they could eat it. Wyatt frowned and looked to his sister.

"Can people eat bears?" was his simple question.

"Indians can it seems," Clara even said the word 'Indians' with distaste. She despised Indians, they murdered her mother and almost killed her. 

"But I'm glad you and Mrs. Emeline can cook, so sometimes there's good food!  Maybe I should learn to cook?"  Weedy wondered aloud.

"When I grow up I am gonna marry a woman who is a good cook. Let her do that kind of thing," Wyatt had it all figured out.

"How romantic," Clara just rolled her eyes.

"But seriously, Weedy, learning to cook is a useful skill to have. Might want to wait a couple years yet but then perhaps give it a go?" Clara suggested.                                                                                            

Even though there was conversation, like most boys the two youngsters were eating rather fast. They had important treasure hunting business to take care of yet.

"Yes, Miss Clara!" Weedy quickly replied, grinning brightly.  "If I can cook on my own, I won't need no wife to cook for me, so I can just stay free!"  That was a great plan, and if he had to learn to cook, it was a small sacrifice to make.  "Besides, then I can cook what I want to, when I want to, and I don't have to listen to some girl nagging me to wash up and make the bed!" 

Sounded like a good deal to him!  "Just so long as you can make me cook this good, Clara, I'll be happy!"

@Wayfarer

• Made Me Laugh! 2

Clara just shook her head, "Well, it certainly seems you have it all worked out then. Your bachelor futures I mean. But just a word of advice, as you get older you may well think differently."

"Oh but I never said I would be the one to teach you - simply that learning would be a smart idea. I also suggested you put that off for a couple of years til you are a bit older," she pointed out, bemused by the boy.  She was also quite certain Addy would get a laugh if she ever had a chance to tell the woman about this conversation.

"Oh, oh...all right."  Weedy had thought she was offering to teach him cooking, but now he'd have to find someone else.  Maybe MIz Emeline, but now that she was married she seemed pretty busy.  Or Miz Jemima?  She cooked pretty good, and she had helped him help his Ma, and besides, she lived just behind their house.

But that could wait!  There was good food here, and now that they'd been fortified, there was treasure to free!

"Thank you, Clara," he remembered that time! "may we be excused now?"  He glanced at Wyatt and grinned.  Time for some fun!

@Wayfarer

The boys had practically inhaled their lunch and now were wanting to get back outside for their ..whatever it was they were doing? Clara nodded, she would handle the cleaning up and dishes. Let the boys be boys.

"Go ahead then, be good," she waved them off as they then raced out of the house.

Wyatt headed straight for the barn then, they had a treasure chest to open! The trick was how to do it. Shooting the lock was a bad idea, in his opinion. But if they could use a hammer and maybe a chisel to break the lock open, yes, that might do it.

And then they'd be rich.

Moments later the pair knelt beside the mysterious box. Wyatt had a hammer in one hand, he would try that first. He just needed to hit it in the exact right spot.

"Here goes!" he declared then swung down hard.

He missed the actual lock by a fraction but other than a loud thunk, nothing.......... Wyatt frowned.

"That was just a practice swing," he excused his miss.

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Weedy nodded, certain that he could do better, but not wanting to point that out just yet.  Let Wyatt try a few more times, then it wouldn't be so bad when he failed!

"Here, let me hold the chisel so you can use both hands."  Stepping in, Weedy took the tool and wrapped both his hands around it, putting the end against the lock.  It never occurred to him that this might not be a very good idea.

"Give it all you got!"

@Wayfarer

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Weedy sure was willing to help. Though Wyatt did have a bit of doubt the other boy was not taking too much of  a chance holding that chisel while he swung at it. His first swing was...obviously ...not a very good one.

"Give it all you got!"

"Well, alright but ...." Wyatt took another swing but in reality it was only half a swing as he was too worried he'd smash the boy's fingers. Addy was not a woman he wanted mad at him.

It hit with a thunk and was better placed than before but...........the lock remained strong. Let's face it so far the chest was winning this battle. Why couldn't it just be easy?

westrpgson2.jpg

Frustrated, Weedy sat on his heels, studying the lock.  There had to be a way to get in.

"Maybe we could go back and look for the key?"  Well, that was more of a needle in a haystack kind of thing, he figured, if the key had even been with it.  But chances of that were pretty slim, whoever had dumped it out there probably had done that after he'd gotten as frustrated as they had trying to get it open.

"Or...do you think maybe we could turn it over and get in through the bottom?"  If the lock was that stubborn, maybe they needed to turn their attention to another part of the chest.

@Wayfarer

• Like 1

While Wyatt knelt there pouting silently, Weedy was still trying to come up with something that might work.

"Maybe we could go back and look for the key?"  

Wyatt blinked, "Huh? In the lake? That's an awful big lake to look for something as dinky as a key."

"Or...do you think maybe we could turn it over and get in through the bottom?"

Now that made a whole lot of sense, much better than searching underwater for a key. Wyatt nodded, hope spring anew.

"Say, you might have something there. It's only wood afterall," he nodded.

"Hmmm, wait...we could set the bottom on fire, burn it enough so as the wood can be smashed easier then," Wyatt snapped his fingers.  Genius!

ooc: That is Wyatt's opinion, not mine.

• Made Me Laugh! 1

For a moment, Weedy mulled over Wyatt's plan, then mused, "Well, I guess of we're careful and don't just burn up the whole thing?"  Maybe by the watering trough, so they could splash it when they needed to.  "I guess of there are gems or coins, fire won't do anything to them, right?"  Just in case they got overzealous.  "And paper will be wet, so that should protect it.  We'll just be careful."

Dastardly pirates, Weedy and Wyatt would outwit them somehow!

@Wayfarer

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Burn the whole thing?

"Nah, we just need to blacken the bottom, should be easy enough, besides if there is gold in there, that won't hurt it none........or jewels either," Wyatt decided not to consider paper money because that was not fitting into his plan. Pirates didn't use paper money anyhow, he figured.

Paper money was invented by George Washington...probably.

Weedy however, made a very good point, "And paper will be wet, so that should protect it.  We'll just be careful."

"Oh true!" that solved that problem.

"First we need to build us a nice fire, let's go grab some firewood from the back of the house," the woodpile was for the fireplace and the stove but this was surely a worthy cause. If they got rich, he'd let his Pa have some of his share so they could live in a mansion not this farm cabin.

Off they went, boys on a mission!

westrpgson2.jpg

• Made Me Laugh! 1

"Yeah, sure!"  It would take a few arm-loads to gather enough wood to get a decent, small-sized fire going, but at least between the two of them they were able to stack the wood properly over some kindling, mindful to be clear of any brush, or the barn.  No sense in running the risk of accidentally igniting something they didn't intend to!

That done, it was time to light it, and Weedy had an idea.  "Hey, we should try lighting it the way the Indians do, you know, rubbing sticks together?"  He'd heard about that, but Addy just kept the fire in the stove going, and when she did have to relight it, she used flint.  But hey, this was a Pirate adventure, and now it could be an Indian one, too!

@Wayfarer

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Some firewood gathered, Wyatt was sure they had enough and no sense wasting more, the boys now just needed to light it up and they'd have themselves a fine fire to roast their treasure trunk.

"Hey, we should try lighting it the way the Indians do, you know, rubbing sticks together?" Weedy suddenly had an idea.

Wyatt wasn't against it by any means but the stickler was he didn't know how to do that.

"Umm, sure!  We could....but by that I mean you could, I've never done it, myself," he freely admitted.

"But if Injuns can do it, how hard can it be?"

westrpgson2.jpg

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Weedy wasn't exactly sure what the process was, but he'd heard Addy talk about it a couple of times, so he thought he had a pretty good idea.

"We need a stick, straight and round, we need to whittle a point on the end of it."  He had a new pocket knife if Wyatt didn't!  "And we need another piece of wood, kind of flat, oh, and kindling...like pine needles..." 

That was all easily enough gathered, and while Wyatt made the end of the stick pointy, he arranged the pine needles under the chunk of wood.

Once they had everything set up, he knelt in the dirt.  "So, what Addy said is that you put the end of the stick on the wood, then rub it really fast between your hands."  He didn't really know why that should work, maybe Professor Browne could tell him one day...if it even worked!

@Wayfarer