• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Barnabas listened, understanding the young mans desire to venture out, and also his hesitance to leave his sister behind. Life has those twists and turns that are possible blocks to what feels like their calling. "Well, you know, there are ways that you could manage that education, and there are ways that Lillian here could go with you." Then he cautioned, "I would certainly hesitate to travel to the Dakotas until the Indians are pacified. I'm sure they are filled with the power of their defeat of George Custer."   "Then again, should you attend the university, things could be settled before you graduated and ventured out. Education is a fine thing, Tom, whether you use it here, or the Dakotas, or wherever  you might venture forth. I only wished I had had the luxury of education beyond what I managed at my mothers knee and that one room school house in Texas." But fortune had smiled on him, the poker hand and what he had brought him, and then Em. His life was good, all things considered.
    • Their cab driver was waiting for them, he'd stayed close, alert to when they would return, and he was content, having had a wonderful lunch that Mrs. Pike had had packed for him.  Now, he helped get the remains of their picnic loaded, then made sure everyone was settled, with blankets in case they needed them, and started back for town.   "That was a wonderful outing!" Emeline declared, chuckling.  "Although I think I ended up with half the beach in my shoes!"  That had been something she hadn't thought about when going barefoot...putting the shoes and socks back on had been a challenge, especially with no way to keep the sand out!   She settled in, wrapping a blanket around her knees, since the hem of her skirt was damp, then rested her head against Barnabas' shoulder and was soon asleep.  Across from them, Lillian was also dozing.   "Thank you for letting us come with you, sir," Tom murmured quietly, "my sister works too hard and it's good for her to have some fun.  And I appreciate the advice.  College sounds like a good plan, if we can afford it.  I'd love to go to Montana or the Dakotas, but I don't want to leave Lillian."   @Flip
    • "Guess you're right about just showin' up at the ranch like that." He agree, and that is kind of you, but I've cash put by for this trip I've made. The hotel does sound good. And the local fare? Which is the best place to eat. Lookin' for big steak dinner I am. Been sometime since I was able to get somethin' like that. It was a trip to remember, long, hard, and with every temperature you could imagine."   It had been that and a bit more. There had been Molly McGuire, he was missing her, but Kalispell would not be the place for her if all that had been said came to fruition between Lost Lake and the Evergreen. He had waltzed in on what could be a real corpse and cartridge affair, and one that went on an on til they forgot what it was about, or who started it.   "I appreciate your offer, and your council about town and holdin' off till the ranch hands were in town. I'll do just that. @JulieS    
    • Benjamin gave up on the fruitless pursuit of the surviving war party, they were down a six or so anyhow and more than likely just heading back to their home village. If it was one thing the US cavalry learned about chasing Indians, you didn't catch 'em.  Best horsemen in the world maybe. So he ordered his scouts and troopers to turn back and then spent the better part of a few hours just getting back to the rest of his command. It being dark did not help at all but the scouts were up to the task.   Once back he found out that a lot had happened - almost all good too, well except another trooper had been killed. But Lt. Greene found (had lucked into it really but no criticism there - it was the great Napoleon who had said  'better a lucky general than a good one') the women and they were alive. Looking a bit worse for wear but no dangerous wounds, the saloon girl was already wearing trousers and a bluecoat lent her by eager troopers. And Greene had a face to face encounter with an Arapaho brave looking to kill the ladies. That Indian was dead. Barlow didn't press the young officer on the details, that he could read in the report Greene would have to write out later back in the fort, for the young man was wounded and in considerable discomfort. They didn't have a doctor with this detachment but one of the troopers who knew something about wound treatment assured Benjamin the boy would live and keep his leg. Well unless he didn't take care of it properly and get gangrene.   The stage driver was quite the tough gal too. She was sporting a large bruise from where the Arapaho had belted her with his gun butt but in good humor and even told him that the two women had killed their guard and escaped on their own.  Barlow was impressed.   "Well, it's a pity we don't allow women in the army, we could use a couple more like you and your friend," Benjamin remarked to Addy.   It was a tough call to make - normally traveling at night was not the wise thing to do but they had the wounded to think of and the sooner they got them back to better medical care at the fort or even town, the better. He decided darkness or not, they would head back and issued the appropriate orders.   They kept the pace deliberately slow but steady. He wasn't worried about Indian attack - Plains Indians did not attack at night and besides that war party was good as destroyed and definitely dispersed.  No, the bigger danger was loss of a horse or horses to prairie dog holes or god knows what else whilst traveling in the darkness.   Then there was a holler from ahead.   @MD  @Bongo @Flip @Javia
    • Both men had agreed, it had been a hell of a day. That Bannister came to them had been unexpected, but welcomed.  As they walked to the hotel after stabling their mounts they paused on the porch, taking up seats on the porch. Both men silent as they turned over the events of the day. Neither weary as they should be after a long hard ride back to Kalispell.   "This shapes up different than I was thinking it would. I mean hell, this is father against daughter." Cook said, "Seen a few that was father-son, never father-daughter."   "Odd one, that's fer shore. Now This Elias Steelgrave, you know much about him?" McNue asked, wonder what type of man is a threat to his own flesh and blood.   "Some, none of it good, and none of it arrestable, if that's even a word. The man skirts the law in a way he gets what he's after without consequence. Though I've heard there's a dark past with some bodies, but again, no real proof. Well, we'll check in with Guyer in the morning, see what we can do."   "Sounds to be a good idea, as dos gettin' our fair share 'o shuteye." McNue agreed. Both men got to their feet and entered the hotel. On this night their prospective of what was happening had changed.
Caroline Mundee

Think of It as a Gift or Reward

Mature Content: Unlikely

With: Caroline Mundee, Arabella Mudd
When: May 1876
Time of Day: Night

content-divider.png

Caroline was ready for bed, it was actually early morning but that was pretty much her usual bedtime given she worked late hours given the nature of her job - singer, dancer, saloon girl. It was a life she was used to and you would never catch her complaining about it. However that did not mean it was an easy job because it wasn't. The smoke curling about the ceilings, the loud constant conversations among the customers, almost all of them men.  Gambling, drinking heavily, it made for risky situations at times. Or some man would decide to try and paw her or worse. Plus many if not most of the men were armed, not a good combination when combined with liquor. So far there had been nothing serious here at the Star Dust though she was still comparatively new to the place if not to the career.

She liked her employer, a woman who often seemed stern but also struck her as fair. The bartender/bouncer was a tough looking sort though quite a softie on the inside. That said she got an eye witness view of one time when a surly cowboy tried to test the man. He regretted it. The cook, a negro woman, was as competent a cook as she was good natured.  That left the young scrub girl who also doubled as the piano player. They had not hit it off to put it mildly, the girl hated her.  Caroline took solace in that it had not been her doing, the girl was jealous and willful. However, Caroline understood and tried not to take it personal. The child really was a good piano player, which made it easier for her to sing and dance her numbers. Slowly though it seemed things were getting....tolerable between them.

Tonight now she hoped she could surprise Arabella and perhaps the girl would put aside the hostility. That and Caroline felt Arabella deserved this too. More than simply felt, she had argued for it. And, at last, got her way. The young woman had a knack for getting her way but it sometimes took real effort, this had been one of those.

Caroline had kept her bedroom door open as she removed her shoes and stockings, waiting for the girl to walk by in the hall on the way to her own room. She didn't have long to wait.

"Oh, there you are. Can you come in once, hon? I got somethin' ta  tell ya. It won't take long, I know we're both tired," she addressed Arabella.

"Oh, there you are. Can you come in once, hon? I got somethin' ta tell ya. It won't take long, I know we're both tired," she addressed Arabella.

Arabella was dead beat. Saturday night, busiest night of the week: but with the promise of a relatively late lie-in tomorrow, although as per usual she would be up first to get the stove lit and the breakfast things ready, and then be off to church. She turned at right angles and came trooping into Caroline’s room like a bleary-eyed zombie obeying a witch doctor’s command.

The scrawny pot-girl walked right over to Caroline’s bed, turned a 180 and flopped down backwards across it, fully dressed in her scruffy smock and dirty apron, her scuffed boots dangling to the floor. “I got summit to tell you, too.” She said bleakly, like she was too tired to have any emotions. “I decided I don’t hate you no more.”

“What you wanna tell me?” she asked flatly. But then, turning her head slightly to face Caroline, she smiled a little wan smile. “You were good tonight” she managed before yawning a yawn that exposed her tonsils. Caroline had been getting complements from over-excited gentlemen (and not-so-gentle-men) all night, but another one from someone who wasn't just trying to get their hands on her tempting assets wouldn't do any harm. 

@Wayfarer

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Poor thing, Arabella looked worn out. Caroline fully realized the girl did not have it easy. One of the reasons she wanted to do this for the kid. She called her in to her room.

The scrawny pot-girl walked right over to Caroline’s bed, turned a 180 and flopped down backwards across it, fully dressed in her scruffy smock and dirty apron, her scuffed boots dangling to the floor. “I got summit to tell you, too.” She said bleakly, like she was too tired to have any emotions. “I decided I don’t hate you no more.”

"Oh? That's good," Caroline nodded.

“What you wanna tell me?” Arabella asked flatly. But then, turning her head slightly to face Caroline, she smiled a little wan smile. “You were good tonight” she managed before giving a big yawn.

"Hon, I'm good every night, it's what I do," Caroline grinned then turned to face the girl as she still sat on the bed too.

"But anyhow, I really do appreciate how well you play the piano for me.  Best piano player I ever had, granted the others were awful so no competition for ya," she started.

"So I have been talking....make that arguing with Matilda about a certain subject for a while now. But finally I wore her down. Starting this next week, you are hereby getting paid two dollars a night for your part in playing for my shows. It'll be paid to you in cash and you will be able to spend it on what you want.  My winning argument was I declared if she didn't pay you, I was gonna up and quit the job," she now explained in detail.

"I'd say it's my gift to you but really, yer earnin' it by your own efforts. I just wanted you to get what you deserve. Congrats, Arabella," Caroline reached out to touch the girls closest hand in a supportive gesture.

"But anyhow, I really do appreciate how well you play the piano for me.  Best piano player I ever had, granted the others were awful so no competition for ya," she started.

Despite her fatigue, Arabella managed a chuckle and an ironic “Thanks!”

"So I have been talking....make that arguing with Matilda about a certain subject for a while now. But finally I wore her down. Starting this next week, you are hereby getting paid two dollars a night for your part in playing for my shows. It'll be paid to you in cash and you will be able to spend it on what you want.  My winning argument was I declared if she didn't pay you, I was gonna up and quit the job," she now explained in detail.

“You did what fer me?!” queried the scruffy looking teenager, the shock of what she had just heard fighting the tiredness and she managed to drag herself into a sitting position next to Caroline on the bed.

"I'd say it's my gift to you but really, yer earnin' it by your own efforts. I just wanted you to get what you deserve. Congrats, Arabella," Caroline reached out to touch the girls closest hand in a supportive gesture.

For a second the girl just looked dumbfounded at the news, frowning first at the singer’s beautiful face and then looking down at Caroline’s hand holding hers. In true Arabella style, she then burst out into tears and threw her arms around her musical partner. She cried for a good long time, shoulders shaking, hot tears falling on Caroline's bare shoulders and décolletage. Eventually, between sobs, she managed to say a few words.

“… I don’t … Oh, Caroline, I been nuthin but hateful and mean to you ever since you first come here! [Sob] … an now you done this fer me an’ [Sob] … I don’t even know how I’d spend two dollars a week! [Sob]. Her brain had been unable to process the idea of $2 a night! She pulled herself of off Caroline’s now damp neck and blew her nose on her apron.

She looked again at Caroline, their blue eyes meeting; hers were red with crying and the smile on her face looked more like a grimace of pain than anything else. She threw her arms around Caroline once more, but this time instead of crying, she just spoke in a slow, low, almost hypnotised voice as she hugged the other girl through her stays.

“Long time I been walkin’, Caroline. Walkin’ through the snow, freezin’, … freezin’ to death. Just walkin’ on and on and on and on…” she sounded almost delirious “… just wan’ing to reach home, where everything’s light and there’s folk that love me. An’ now…” she yawned again, fighting against sleep, wanting so to stay awake and carry on enjoying this feeling “… an’ now, I finally… [yawn!] … I finally come home…” and she was gone, fast asleep against the other girl, snoring on her shoulder.

The girl seemed really taken aback by Caroline's revelation.

For a second the girl just looked dumbfounded at the news, frowning first then looking down at Caroline’s hand holding hers. In true Arabella style, she then burst out into tears and threw her arms around her musical partner. She cried for a good long time, shoulders shaking, hot tears falling on Caroline's bare shoulders and décolletage. Eventually, between sobs, she managed to say a few words.

Caroline just let her cry it out at first til she spoke, " I don’t … Oh, Caroline, I been nuthin but hateful and mean to you ever since you first come here! [Sob] … an now you done this fer me an’ [Sob] … I don’t even know how I’d spend two dollars a week!"

"You'll figure it out. My advice is don't waste it. And really, you weren't that awful to me. I knew you had your reasons, I had showed up out of nowhere. But I said from the start I didn't want us to be enemies," Caroline replied.

The girl looked again at her, their blue eyes meeting; Arabella's were red with crying and the smile on her face looked more like a grimace of pain than anything else. She threw her arms around Caroline once more, but this time instead of crying, she just spoke in a slow, low, almost hypnotized voice as she hugged the other girl through her stays.

"There, there, child," Caroline welcomed the embrace, it meant they had finally come to terms with each other.  They were a family of a sort now.

•  

Despite her fatigue, Arabella managed a chuckle and an ironic “Thanks!”

“You did what fer me?!” queried the scruffy looking teenager, the shock of what she had just heard fighting the tiredness and she managed to drag herself into a sitting position next to Caroline on the bed.

For a second the girl just looked dumbfounded at the news, frowning first at the singer’s beautiful face and then looking down at Caroline’s hand holding hers. In true Arabella style, she then burst out into tears and threw her arms around her musical partner. She cried for a good long time, shoulders shaking, hot tears falling on Caroline's bare shoulders and décolletage. Eventually, between sobs, she managed to say a few words.

“… I don’t … Oh, Caroline, I been nuthin but hateful and mean to you ever since you first come here! [Sob] … an now you done this fer me an’ [Sob] … I don’t even know how I’d spend two dollars a week! [Sob]. Her brain had been unable to process the idea of $2 a night! She pulled herself of off Caroline’s now damp neck and blew her nose on her apron.

She looked again at Caroline, their blue eyes meeting; hers were red with crying and the smile on her face looked more like a grimace of pain than anything else. She threw her arms around Caroline once more, but this time instead of crying, she just spoke in a slow, low, almost hypnotised voice as she hugged the other girl through her stays.

“Long time I been walkin’, Caroline. Walkin’ through the snow, freezin’, … freezin’ to death. Just walkin’ on and on and on and on… just wan’ing to reach home, where everything’s light and there’s folk that love me. An’ now…” she yawned again, fighting against sleep, wanting so to stay awake and carry on enjoying this feeling “… an’ now, I finally… [yawn!] … I finally come home…”

And then - suddenly - that was it. She lost consciousness and went right asleep. Amazing!

Caroline carefully lowered her onto her back on the bed then and got up then returned with a loose blanket to cover her up. She didn't have the heart to wake her. So she left the bed to the girl and closed the door then made her way to Arabella's room on the same second floor. She ended up sleeping on Ara's bed  then. Not an issue, she was tired enough she could have slept on a hard floor.

• Love 1

Arabella woke up at exactly the right time she needed to, wide awake, as per usual. She wasn’t even surprised to find herself lying on Caroline’s bed: fully dressed in smock, boots, apron, and all. She remembered last night clearly. Caroline had said she was going to be paid for her musical performances! She sat up with a thrill of excitement. She was now a Professional Musician! Arabella was a morning person, the very opposite of Caroline, who would snooze ‘til noon if allowed to. She went directly downstairs and lit the stove, not even having to bother with all that tedious getting dressed and washing business. It was extremely convenient; she might try sleeping fully dressed every night!

Once the breakfast chores were done, she needed to wake Caroline up, before she tackled the mess that she would inevitably find in the bar area. Just like she had every morning for the last two weeks, she stomped back up the stairs and found the soundly sleeping singer, incongruously in Arabella’s own bed this Sunday morn. Even the clomping of her heavy boots wasn’t enough to rouse the sleepy Miss Mundee. The pot girl stood over her, but instead of roughly shaking her awake like she usually did, clambered gingerly onto the creaking bedframe and lay down next to her, face to face, and studied her.

Caroline wasn’t as beautiful without all that lip rouge, powder and paint slapped on her face, she was more so. Arabella’s eyes wandered over all her little flaws, she listed them in her head: eyes – too close together, little bags (where the sandman kept his dust) under them from all the late nights; ears – jug; eyebrows – too thick; hair – more dirty light brown than blonde; lips – if anything, TOO plump and thick. The Virginian girl drifted the tip of her forefinger gently over her own unprepossessing, thin lips and then hovered it over Caroline’s lips, close enough to feel the warm breath escaping them, as if to compare. Caroline gave a little, sudden snore and Arabella snatched her hand back with alacrity. Why she found all of these little flaws so unbearably mesmerising was beyond her, she just allowed herself a few more seconds to drink them in.

“Caroline … Caaaaaarrroollliinneee!” she softly cooed, gently shaking the deeply cocooned blonde’s shoulder. “Caroline, wakee-wakee.” She knew his wouldn’t work: trying to get Mundee out of bed was like trying to get a tick out of a cow’s hide. “Carrie… Carrie…” She didn’t like being called that, so it might rouse her. She continued to rock her back and forth in the bed, lying next to her, chuckling a little at Caroline’s face as the other girl clearly tried to convince herself this wasn’t happening and could return to blessed repose in the arms of Lethe.

Finally, Caroline stirred and her eyes popped wide open. She gave a start as someone was lying next to her but consciousness kicked in and it was Arabella.

"Oh god....time to get up already? It can't be noon yet," she sighed then slowly sat up on her elbows.

"You ruined a perfectly good dream too, kid. I had found a bottle of the most expensive Irish whiskey and I was drinking the whole thing .......along with a donut," she declared.

"I'll forgive ya though only cuz the whiskey wasn't real," she then grinned teasingly.

“Oh god....time to get up already? It can't be noon yet," she sighed then slowly sat up on her elbows.

“It’s Eight O'Clock, you can have breakfast with us all if you come down now. Come down in your nightie; Mr. Flandry won’t mind!” Arabella giggled. Caroline never made it down in time to have breakfast with the rest of them, although Cookie always had something for her when she did deign to descend.

"You ruined a perfectly good dream too, kid. I had found a bottle of the most expensive Irish whiskey and I was drinking the whole thing .......along with a donut," she declared.

“Donut!” repeated Arabella derisively “It’s called Bear sign, Easterner!” She grinned her slightly wonky grin, head sideways, leaning on her fist as she lay next to the blonde girl. “Still, I’m sorry I spoilt your dream.” she added in a sing-song voice.

"I'll forgive ya though only cuz the whiskey wasn't real," she then grinned teasingly.

Arabella smiled but there was a worried searching around her eyes. Caroline seemed to think about booze an awful lot. After an evening of pretending to drink heavily, she would imbibe when she was alone and thought no one was watching. Arabella didn’t understand it; but it seemed to her that something wasn’t right there. Somewhere behind her pretty, vivacious face, idolized by the throng, there was maybe some secret that could not be shared, that had to be anaesthetised on a regular basis.

“What you did for me…” Arabella didn’t know what she was going to say, or even why she was saying it, but out it would come… “I’m real grateful. I mean, not just cause I want the money, I mean that’s nice and all and I can buy me a nice new dress and everything and then I won’t look so raggedy next to you when I play that old pianna and all and… and… well, I guess I just… I wanna know…” she was dancing around the houses “… do you … do you think I’m nice?”  

• Like 1

“It’s Eight O'Clock, you can have breakfast with us all if you come down now. Come down in your nightie; Mr. Flandry won’t mind!” Arabella giggled.

"I expect he wouldn't," Caroline then had to stop for a big yawn.

She got corrected then over donut though waved off the last part, "I am hardly an easterner. I was born in Chicago and there we called' em donuts.  So there, young lady."

Arabella got more serious then. Caroline soon realized it was about last night and her new wages.

“What you did for me…” Arabella declared, “I’m real grateful. I mean, not just cause I want the money, I mean that’s nice and all and I can buy me a nice new dress and everything and then I won’t look so raggedy next to you when I play that old pianna and all and… and… well, I guess I just… I wanna know…” she  paused just a bit “… do you … do you think I’m nice?”  

"I was hoping you'd be pleased, Ara. I like seeing you all happy and chipper like this. We only get one life ya know and I don't believe in wasting mine with being gloomy and angry all the time," Caroline shared a little of her personal philosophy.

It also gave her a few precious seconds to figure out how to answer that last question, which she deemed one full of challenge. She did not want to anger the girl again given their new friendly relationship.

"Are you nice? Well, I think you are mostly....we all do and say some things we might regret. I know yer a church goer so no offense but I don't believe there any saints. God knows I'd never be mistaken for one," Caroline decided to take a stab at the answer.

"What made you ask that question, hon? I mean if it's how you felt about me when I first arrived, don't fret about that. It's all water over the dam now. You know, when I'm down there working the floor or even performing, I see things as it's you n' me...and Ralph too. Or even Matilda and the cook also....it's us against the world. We saloon folk gotta stick together. "

Now to many folk that little speech might have sounded corny but it was a core belief for Caroline. The saloon was her world and those who lived and worked there were her people.

"I was hoping you'd be pleased, Ara. I like seeing you all happy and chipper like this. We only get one life ya know and I don't believe in wasting mine with being gloomy and angry all the time," Caroline shared a little of her personal philosophy. 

Arabella smiled in admiration and shook her head a little as she drank in these words of advice. “Oh, Caroline, you’s so wise. Ooh, and what about the other bit … do you think I’m nice? She was like a dog with bone on that one.

"Are you nice?”

“Uh-hu” Arabella nodded. “You know, Nice. Like, a nice person. Like, do you like me? Am I nice?” she explained helpfully, then got relaxed and all set to hear nice things said about herself. Like how nice she was.

“Well, I think you are mostly…”

Mostly, yes! Mostly Nice!" Arabella repeated.

“....we all do and say some things we might regret.”

“That we do, Caroline, that we do!” Arabella agreed. “I do somethin’ regrettable about onct every two hours on an average, but guess what?, the Sweet Lord Jesus forgives me all them little trespasses every Sunday when I ask him to. Oh Caroline, Jesus is so loving and forgiving, why,  you’d scarce believe it!” she informed the other girl in all seriousness.

“I know yer a church goer so no offense but I don't believe there any saints. God knows I'd never be mistaken for one," Caroline decided to take a stab at the answer.

“Oh, that’s cause you’re a ‘diamond in the rough’.” Arabella replied knowingly “Just waitin’ fer Jesus to polish you up one day. You’re good, Caroline, I don’t care what folks say about painted ladies what show them parts they ain’t meant to show. You’re so much more gooder than all them pious folks as go to church and pray just to look all holy and worshipful. You’re good, and I’m nice … mostly nice!” she smiled happily, apparently that was better than anything anyone else had called her lately.

"What made you ask that question, hon? I mean if it's how you felt about me when I first arrived, don't fret about that. It's all water over the dam now. You know, when I'm down there working the floor or even performing, I see things as it's you n' me...and Ralph too. Or even Matilda and the cook also....it's us against the world. We saloon folk gotta stick together. " 

Arabella nodded with a serious frown.

“You’re right, as per usual!” Arabella frowned. Suddenly, la Mundee was the font of all knowledge and wisdom “We’re … we’re like a sort of family ain’t we? Matilda, why she’s the Mama, who wears the pants and rules the roost; Mr Flandry, he’s the stern Papa, who’s really just as soft and lovable as anything under his big bushy beard; and you’re the wise older sister who all the boys like, and come around trying to court; and I’m the funny little sister who’s always playing tricks and having fun. And Cookie’s…” she didn’t feel it was fair to just say ‘The Cook’ “… she’s like a big fat old Auntie who come to stay a week and hung around for a year!” she started the giggle at this, until said Fat Old Auntie started to shout from downstairs.

“Arabella? ARABELLA! Where is that chil’?!”

She jumped up off the bed and realised that she hadn't answered Caroline. Why had she asked that question? She couldn't answer. She didn't know. So instead, she picked up Caroline's dressing gown and threw it on the bed.

"Come on!" she coaxed "Come down and join us for breakfast, just this once, so we can be together as a family... Sis'!"

OOC:  Good place to end it?  I don't want to do the breakfast where I'd have to play three charries.  🙂

J: But did she go down? I just want to know.