• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Oh, well certainly. If you would rather talk there. Anyplace is fine with us," Clara would have agreed to discuss it even if he had suggested the middle of a river. She just wanted to get it done!   The four of them shuffled back to the rear of the church and through the little-used back door, into the main part of the building where the pews were neatly rowed and the pulpit stood empty at the far end.   The man then offered, "I could fix something to drink? Tea perhaps?"    "No thank you, we do not wish you to have to make a fuss on our account," she gently shook her head in the negative.   “Ooh, It’s no fuss Clara! I’ll fix that, Brother.” Arabella gushed obsequiously “You three will want to talk privately.”   She would also, perhaps a little too optimistically at this point, fetch out a blank marriage certificate, for she knew where Pastor Evans stored them. In fact, she’d had a good root through most of the drawers and cupboards in his little office, off the vestry, and found some amazing and interesting stuff. Her favourites were a collection of pictures in a little book which, she assumed, the good Pastor must have confiscated off some sinful parishioner in the past.   @boshmi @Wayfarer
    • "All right, if this has anything to do with getting rid of ol' Klutz, then I'll do it," he said in a slightly slurred tone.  The whiskey was now starting to affect his speech, "Clara's gotta see that I'm the better man."   Crabbe nodded. He wasn’t exactly sure what he was hoping to get out of this situation, but he had made a living, the last six years of his life, by exploiting other men’s passions, and this young feller had passion in spades. Lorenzo recognised it for the sort of dangerous, jealous, twisted, brooding passion that so often haunts the hearts of men where women are concerned, and knew it would have to be handled with kid gloves to benefit himself any.   “Problem is, he’s ensorcelled her with these here love poems.” Lorenzo slyly took up a theme that Charlie himself had mentioned. “You attack him, she’ll just cleave tighter to the stupid lookin’ bastard.” He’d never seen this Klutz feller, but it didn’t harm to insult him in Charlie’s presence.   “We gotta work on her.” He said, thinking fast. “First of all, we gotta make you a more attractive proposition, er, make her kinda jealous of you, see? Make ol' Clara see you in a better light. Hmmm, you know any girls? I mean, not like Arabella, pretty girls.”   @JulieS
    • "Well." Thomas declared, sitting upwards in his chair. "I wonder what Arabella has gotten up to. I do hope I haven't complicated anything by bringing her along. Your wife seemed... er... unenthusiastic about her presence."   As if on cue, there was a crashing noise from the distant kitchen and Arabella’s voice sounded an “Ooops!”, but nonetheless, the two women presently appeared, carrying coffee and cake.   “Now, how are you two boys getting along?” asked Arabella, as if Thomas and Gideon were two five-year olds on their first playdate. Mrs Evans attended to the domestic stuff while Arabella jumped up and down, plexing her fingertips together with excitement.   “What do you want me to play on the harmonium, fellers?!” she asked excitedly, just hoping it wasn’t that well-known mondegreen “Bringing in the Sheep” which required notes that the poor old instrument could no longer sound. Arabella always had to substitute other notes in the same chord which made her playing sound like she’d invented jazz forty years too early.   @JulieS @boshmi
    • "That goes both ways, Barnabas," Emeline countered, "I finally found something good, and I don't want to lose it."  Although it dawned on her that if he was distracted worrying about her, that put him at more risk.   "I didn't count on the man that I fell in love with becoming a deputy, and I don't know how to reconcile that, except that I know that anything can happen to anyone at any time, and there is no way to predict that or stop it."   Of course, law enforcement put a man at higher risk, but she wasn't a widow because of that.   "I'll try to use discretion, that is the most I can promise."  He'd have to accept that as much as she accepted his choice of professions.   @Flip
    • "Well, so long as he's ridin' a white horse, I reckon there could be some quarter given."  Addy shrugged, thinking that armor would be cumbersome anyway, and that she wouldn't want to be burdened by something that made it hard to function.   "Glad that armor ain't somethin' they wear anymore, although I'd truly appreciate seein' a man in it...an' a horse, too.  Can't imagine how a horse can move in all that metal."   Her smile was a bit wistful as she added, "There's times I wonder if I wasn't born in th' wrong time an' th' wrong britches."
Adelaide Chappel

Special Delivery

"Reckon that'd be somethin'!  Sorta like a medicine show, only without th' snake oil...an' with all manner'a critters!"  Addy would pay a decent sum to see a whole menagerie of exotic critters right here in town!  "'Course, seems like it'd be an awful lotta trouble ta pack all that around.  On a train, I suppose?"

“They are doing that in the east. They’ve been using trans for some time now, but to bring it out here? Far to expensive.” She explained. “I have some friends back east that write, and they said they saw the circus, and that it came by train.”

She pondered over how many cars that might take, although she had no idea what the logistics might be, but then her thoughts wandered further.  "Aren't there them animals with real long necks?  Gerfs, or some such?  An' Elephants are real big...might not even fit in a train car...'less they make a hole fer them gerfs' head..."  She was on a roll!  "But then, they'd not know ta duck when they got to th' tunnels..."

Alice thought she might correct Addy about the giraffes, but to what end. It was not a name that she would use with any regularity, if at all. “I wondered that myself. From what they said they use a lot of flat cars for that bigger animals. Some they keep in their wagons. My friends have said it was really interesting.” Then she too thought of the giraffes and the tunnels. "Their name is giraffe, but you were close."

That would be bad!!

@Bongo

"Ah, giraffe...knew it was somethin' like that."  Grinning, Addy shrugged.  "There's all manner'a strange critters, with stranger names all over th' world, an' wouldn't it be somethin' ta see them?"

Then she chuckled, pondering a moment before continuing.  "Reckon there are folks in places like China an' Wales that are sittin' just like us, talkin' 'bout seein' a grizzly or buffalo or armadillo..."  It made sense that others would think that where they lived were odd, even if to them it was just how things were.  "Funny ta  think that there's folks wishin' they could visit here."

@Flip

"Ah, giraffe...knew it was somethin' like that."  Grinning, Addy shrugged.  "There's all manner'a strange critters, with stranger names all over th' world, an' wouldn't it be somethin' ta see them?"

“It would, something special. Would that we had spent more time at that exhibit, it was huge, five floors of exhibits, and in the basement, a live whale!’ Alice exclaimed, remembering what was advertized that she did not get to see. Arthur had a card game to attend. There seemed to always be a card game for Arthur.

Then she chuckled, pondering a moment before continuing.  "Reckon there are folks in places like China an' Wales that are sittin' just like us, talkin' 'bout seein' a grizzly or buffalo or armadillo..."  It made sense that others would think that where they lived were odd, even if to them it was just how things were.  "Funny ta  think that there's folks wishin' they could visit here."

“Yes, and folks keep coming to this country, by the ship load. Part of the problem with New York. It’s the port of entry for most emigrants, but there are others, Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia, and New Orleans. But most entered through New York City, which is known as the "Golden Door." And most immigrants arriving in New York entered at the Castle Garden depot near the tip of Manhattan Island. I like the name “Golden Door,” for that’s what it represents, for those folks. Then they fan out from there, or stay put in the city.” She laughed.

“Goodness, I just seem to be a storehouse of odd information. But I tend to read a lot whenever books and such are available to me.” She concluded.

@Bongo

"Ah, heck I don't mind...it's interestin', an' a person'd be a fool not ta want ta learn somethin'."  She shook her head and laughed.  "Her that pontificatin' comin' from me, who can't hardly read nor write...not ta say I don't got other sort'a learnin'...an' now I'm takin' on Weedy all formal-like, I reckon I should get more book learnin'."

She wasn't sure she'd ever be able to help the boy with things like the 'Three R's', but she had plenty of knowledge to impart about history, horses, stages, wagons, and bear-hunting to make up for it!

@Flip

"Ah, heck I don't mind...it's interestin', an' a person'd be a fool not ta want ta learn somethin'."  She shook her head and laughed.  "Her that pontificatin' comin' from me, who can't hardly read nor write...not ta say I don't got other sort'a learnin'...an' now I'm takin' on Weedy all formal-like, I reckon I should get more book learnin'."

“Knowledge is a powerful thing. Some of us had the good fortune to be born and raised where schools are plentiful. But the things that you know are far more valuable than having seen a giraffe, or lived in places like New York.” Alice acknowledged. “Out here reading sign is more important than reading a book, for now anyway, and for the foreseeable future.”

She wasn't sure she'd ever be able to help the boy with things like the 'Three R's', but she had plenty of knowledge to impart about history, horses, stages, wagons, and bear-hunting to make up for it!

“Addy, if you want, when you’ve time, I’d be willing to help you with reading and writing. Honestly I would.” She offered. “And we could have coffee, and just talk as well. And, tho I do know a bit about reading sign, you could teach me as well. There's a whole lot I don't know, and, I think it would be such fun.”

@Bongo

"I'd like that real good," Addy declared with a grin.  There weren't many ladies she could talk to like this, and who accepted her for who she was, nor had any ever asked that she coach them, so she was eager to do this. 

"I can show ya what I know...reckon you can drive a team, but I gat a six-up hitch, if ya'd like ta give that a try, an' I know a couple'a th'' local tribes, if ya'd like ta get ta know some Indians...never does hurt ta have good friends."

@Flip

"I'd like that real good," Addy declared with a grin.  There weren't many ladies she could talk to like this, and who accepted her for who she was, nor had any ever asked that she coach them, so she was eager to do this.

“Then we’ll get started whenever you can. I can come to town as well as you coming out here.” Alice offered. “I know some, but like I said, I can always learn more.

"I can show ya what I know...reckon you can drive a team, but I gat a six-up hitch, if ya'd like ta give that a try, an' I know a couple'a th'' local tribes, if ya'd like ta get ta know some Indians...never does hurt ta have good friends."

“Now that would be good. I’ve not met very many, and never on a friendship basis, not that it was hostile, I simply had met them in passing. They are just people after all. And you are right, having good friends is really a blessing, no matter who they are.” Meeting Indians had not been something she had thought about, but when it was mentioned it sounded perfect.

“A six up? I’ve driven four, but never at any speed, so to speak. I mean to say that they walked, or trotted at best. But yes, yes, I’d like that.” She smiled. “Maybe get a job with you once I’m good enough.” Of course that was not really something she would do. But learning to drive a six up, or even a four, would be helpful, because one never knew.

@Bongo

"Always a good skill ta have," Addy commented, referring to the elaborate wagon hitch, "an' ya never know, I may try'n buy out Millegan one'a these days...he's gettin' on in years, an' even with th' train now, there's plenty'a places it can't go."

There were those who said that the train was the end of the stage and freight lines, but the train didn't go out to the farms and small towns that dotted the mountains, so Addy had no fear of losing business.

"There's a few'a th' local Indian clans 'round here that'er agreeable, 'though ya gotta be wary that they still are."  She shrugged.  "Not all men treat them civil, an' they might not be in a good way."

She chuckled then, and added, "There's one camp that's kinda beholdin' ta me an' Speed...we bagged a bear an' gave them th' meat, 'bout fourteen hundred pounds, see 'em through th' Winter, likely."

@Flip

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)

She chuckled then, and added, "There's one camp that's kinda beholdin' ta me an' Speed...we bagged a bear an' gave them th' meat, 'bout fourteen hundred pounds, see 'em through th' Winter, likely."

“We could certainly do that.” Alice agreed, “Fourteen hundred pounds? That was one big bear! When did all of this happen? I’ve come face too face with smaller predators, never a bear. You must have been really lucky in that confrontation.”

She smiled and added, you were out to purposely hunt a bear, on by accident? I’m thinking that running into a bear by accident would really set you back on your heels.” She had no doubt that Addy would stand and fight whatever the odds, although, a bear? That one would raise the hair an the back of anyone’s neck. “This Mister Guyer tends to get around, it seems.”
@Bongo

"Well, he ain't one ta sit idle," Addy declared.  "Few months back he went out with me on a delivery, that big ol' bear attacked my team, no mind we was with 'em...kilt one'a my horses."  She shrugged.  "Found out later that bear been killin' cattle, terroizin' locals, red an' white alike, so th' town got up a posse an' hunted him down.  Ain't no trouble no more!"

Grinning, she shrugged.  "Bears ain't generally too bad, 'specially th' brown an' black ones, but ya gotta watch that ya don't get inadvertently betwixt a mama an' her cubs.  Gotta watch fer moose, too, if they're havin' a bad day, they'll charge 'bout anything, an' th' bulls are bigger than a horse."

@Flip