Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

An Official Visit

“Being in love with you could never be silly” countered Jacob in saccharine tones while staring dreamy eyed at Clara.

"That was not what I meant, I meant Arabella," Clara pointed out. But no matter right now, they had more important issues to discuss.

Clara reluctantly admitted that she had told Emeline about the news, she trusted the woman with her secret. Seemed Granny did not though. Gosh, this woman was maddening.

“Wouldn’t be surprised if she’s telling your Papa all about the thing right this very minute.” 

"You do not know her and you do not know our relationship. I do not have to stand here and listen to this anymore - I am leaving!" Clara had had it, bad mouthing Emeline was the last straw.

"I am sorry, Jacob, but this is intolerable," she glanced at the boy as she started to exit the kitchen and head for the door.

"You do not know her and you do not know our relationship. I do not have to stand here and listen to this anymore - I am leaving!" Clara had had it, bad mouthing Emeline was the last straw.

Poor Jacob was finding himself in the unenviable position of many a man before him and many a man since, stuck in the middle of two strong willed women and being squashed like a ripe tomato between their two personalities.

“Aw, no, come on Sweetheart!” he pleaded weakly, realising he’d never called her that before, it sounded sorta odd.

"I am sorry, Jacob, but this is intolerable," she glanced at the boy as she started to exit the kitchen and head for the door.

“Aw no, come on back.” He tried “Granny didn’t mean it, did you Granny?”

“Every word!" replied Nellie robustly. "And don’t you dare go after her neither Jacob Lutz! I’m warnin’ you boy! Let her run! Let her run back to Emeline Blakeley and see what good cuddles and sympathy does her come January when she’s squeezin’ out a Baby in her Papa’s outhouse and everyone’s callin’ her a whore!”

Jacob saw red then then.

“Shut up! Shut up!! You hear me! Clara’s the most beautiful wonderful thing that ever happened to me, and I’m going with her and you can .. you can go rot in Hell!!” he screamed and fled before the old woman could reach for a weapon.

“I’m goin’ with Clara and I’m never coming back!!” he shouted hoarsely and marched to the back door where Clara stood.

@Wayfarer

Jacob was naturally upset and pleaded with her not to go. But Granny saying that awful stuff about Emeline was the last straw. Clara could only take so much of this bossy know it all woman who was so different than ...say her mother or Emeline for that fact.

Jacob even tried to reason with Granny, to get her to admit she didn't mean what she said. But Granny proved everything Clara disliked about her.

"And don’t you dare go after her neither Jacob Lutz! I’m warnin’ you boy! Let her run! Let her run back to Emeline Blakeley and see what good cuddles and sympathy does her come January when she’s squeezin’ out a Baby in her Papa’s outhouse and everyone’s callin’ her a whore!”

"What?" Clara was appalled to hear that last word.  And that seemed to finally galvanize Jacob into action too.

“Shut up! Shut up!! You hear me! Clara’s the most beautiful wonderful thing that ever happened to me, and I’m going with her and you can .. you can go rot in Hell!!” he screamed and fled before the old woman could reach for a weapon.

“I’m goin’ with Clara and I’m never coming back!!”

Finally, the boy showed some backbone! Clara was so glad though she was too upset to show it, she just keep walking, to be joined then by Jacob. The pair then exited the farm and headed down the small trail, if needed they would just have to walk all the way back to town. Clara was so upset her heart was pounding and she finding it difficult to think straight.

But she did find a voice for one thing, "Oh Jacob, I am sorry. But I really appreciate you chose me over your own family. The way I see it, even if it is just the two of us against the world, we will make a go of it."

claragif2.gif

But she did find a voice for one thing, "Oh Jacob, I am sorry. But I really appreciate you chose me over your own family. The way I see it, even if it is just the two of us against the world, we will make a go of it."

Jacob walked along side Clara for a while, it was actually hard to keep up with her, despite his lanky lags, she was stomping along at such a pace. Eventually she slowed down a bit as the initial fury at Granny’s words seemed to wear off. At this point he risked a tentative comforting hand on Clara’s back, near the shoulder. He really never knew just how well she would take to being touched like that.

“Yeah, I’m having nothing to do with them from now on in!” he said, trying to sound decisive. He wondered how much that was true, but for now it was the right thing to say, at least.

“We … we should get on a stage to Helena right now and go and get married there and get jobs, well I’d get a job, and … well, we’d show them we can do it all on our own!” His fine words only filled him with despair really, but love can make brave fools of us all.

“Only problem is, I don’t have any money. I spent it all on pies.” He ruminated.

@Wayfarer

It was Jacob's hand on her back so she accepted it completely, by now Jacob had free rein to touch her all he wanted to (well not in public of course). She kept walking though because every single step to her that was that much further away from that old witch in the Miggin's abode.

“Yeah, I’m having nothing to do with them from now on in!”  he declared.

However Clara did not want that.

"No, Jacob, Lenora is your sister. I have nothing against her, she seems nice and besides she is in a fragile state of health," she calmly pointed out.

Left unsaid was that for as awful as the woman was, Granny Miggins was kin to Jacob and he could not simply cut her completely out of his life. But ..............the two of them would be married soon and he would no longer have to live under that woman's roof. That suddenly brought up a whole new issue though!  Where would they be living? It's not like they could afford to buy a property of any sort.  She decided not to deal with that right at the moment, first things first.

“We … we should get on a stage to Helena right now and go and get married there and get jobs, well I’d get a job, and … well, we’d show them we can do it all on our own!”

Clara winced at that plan too, however noble and however much it sounded like noble Jacob alright. Before she could add a dose of reality to his notion though....

“Only problem is, I don’t have any money. I spent it all on pies."

"Even if you had the money back you spent on pies, that would not leave us with enough to last more than a few days at best.  You must realize that," she turned to look hard at him.

She loved him dearly but - like most poets in her opinion - his head was in the clouds too much.

"I had thought on Helena....in fact, Emeline suggested eloping may well be the best short term plan we could come up with. She pointed out whatever we do, we need to do it as fast as possible. We must ....absolutely must be married before....heaven forbid I start showing....well, you know what I mean."

"What about simply being married locally? That new reverend, I have not yet met him officially of course, but he seems.....well, quite a horse of a different color than Parson Evans. Perhaps he might be willing to marry us in a private ceremony?"

Clarawithhat.jpg

"No, Jacob, Lenora is your sister. I have nothing against her, she seems nice and besides she is in a fragile state of health," she calmly pointed out.

Jacob sighed. “Why’s she have to go and faint all the time?” He had been hoping for help and advice from her, not blabbing the biggest secret he’d ever had incoherently on the kitchen floor.

“We … we should get on a stage to Helena right now and go and get married there and get jobs, well I’d get a job, and … well, we’d show them we can do it all on our own! Only problem is, I don’t have any money. I spent it all on pies." 

"Even if you had the money back you spent on pies, that would not leave us with enough to last more than a few days at best.  You must realize that," she turned to look hard at him.

She was right, of course. Why hadn’t that chest they’d pulled out of the lake contained a ton of gold coins? They hadn’t even opened it. Pandora’s box. Granny had money. Granny had plenty of money. If only Clara hadn’t … If only Granny hadn’t fallen out with Clara.

She loved him dearly but - like most poets in her opinion - his head was in the clouds too much. 

"I had thought on Helena....in fact, Emeline suggested eloping may well be the best short term plan we could come up with. She pointed out whatever we do, we need to do it as fast as possible. We must ....absolutely must be married before....heaven forbid I start showing....well, you know what I mean."

He nodded, thoughtful. They’d walked far enough away from the homestead now to be surrounded by blank, miserable countryside. Usually it looked beautiful, but in this trough of indecision, it looked hopeless, somehow. Yet they managed to carve a living out of it, a livelihood. That’s what the two of them had to do now, carve a living out of a blank, uncaring, harsh world. The walked along – two tiny figures in the enormous blank canvas of Montana.

“What about simply being married locally? That new reverend, I have not yet met him officially of course, but he seems…..well, quite a horse of a different color than Parson Evans. Perhaps he might be willing to marry us in a private ceremony?”

“Thomas, er, Father Thomas. I don’t know. ‘Bella says he’s an Episcopalian.” It wasn’t clear if this was supposed to be a problem in some way or other. But he did nod at Clara's idea. Wasn't that the same idea Granny had had? Oh well, he wasn't about to mention that. He was learning fast.

“Spose we could ask him.” He squinted his eyes to the horizon, and blew out his cheeks. “It’s quite a space to town, though. Maybe we should go back and get Buttercup and the cart.”

@Wayfarer

Jacob sighed. “Why’s she have to go and faint all the time?” 

"Well in fairness to your sister, I hardly think she has control over that," Clara pointed out calmly.

The conversation moved on to the topic of them and their issues. She wondered about talking to that new minister.

“Thomas, er, Father Thomas. I don’t know. ‘Bella says he’s an Episcopalian.” 

"I do not care, he is a man of God," Clara thought this no time to get picky. One thing was for certain Rev. Evans would never agree, especially if he knew the father was unaware of the daughter's marriage.

“Spose we could ask him.” He squinted his eyes to the horizon, and blew out his cheeks. “It’s quite a space to town, though. Maybe we should go back and get Buttercup and the cart.”

"No, I will not turn around and go back there. We are young and in fine health, we can make it to town. Besides......we are alone now again, first time since....." she didn't need to finish that sentence!

Neither of them would EVER forget that day.

Afterward, they lay on their backs in the rough fescue, Parry's oatgrass and Koeleria of the Montana plain, holding hands like they did on that very first night at the barn dance. The clouds were sparse and misty, and they moved across the azure above at a rate of knots like some mystical sailing ships plying some mystical ocean. In his mind, they were already married. This time – only the second – had not been like the first. The first had been fumbling, unsure, guilty, first time love. This time had been sure, no fear, settled, but not tame: it had been intense, and they had enjoyed it.

The warmth of Clara’s hand was enough, he didn’t have to turn and remind himself of her beauty, he knew it was there. Instead he looked forward and up into the forever of the firmament and stared back at God, who had witnessed their union. Reverends, Fathers, Witnesses, Bridesmaids, Matrons of Honor: who needed them? God Himself had just witnessed that they were man and woman and that the woman was quick with child, as behoved His eternal plan.

“I’m never going to write a poem again.” He said to Clara, or to God, or to Montana.

@Wayfarer

It was amazing really, even Clara fully realized how much had changed in her. Their first time she had been afraid though willing, had taken her awhile to even respond to his first efforts though by the end, she had been much more involved and enthusiastic. But now, this second time, Clara was like another person. She took an equal almost aggressive role in their lovemaking. And this time, she had actually experienced the full gamut of it all as she had climaxed. It was incredible! She had never wanted it to end but all good things do. And, as they lay there next to each other, looking up at the vastness of the Montana sky she was content, at peace. Well, at least til they would have to return to their lives and all the issues that were awaiting them. The three of them!

“I’m never going to write a poem again.”  he suddenly announced.

"What a loss to the literary world," Clara replied in that dry manner of hers.

"Still, I guess I will still marry you anyhow," she turned, actually blessed him with a warm smile then kissed him on the cheek.

Then she sighed, "We really should get dressed and get back on the road. The town is not any closer you know."

“I’m never going to write a poem again.”  he suddenly announced. 

"What a loss to the literary world," Clara replied in that dry manner of hers.

He considered that for a second.

“They’ll get over it.”

"Still, I guess I will still marry you anyhow," she turned, actually blessed him with a warm smile then kissed him on the cheek. 

He carried on looking up as the sky but now with a big smile on his face and squeezed her hand tighter. Their union had been perfect. Would it spoil it if he tried for a second round? He was just about to start making overtures but then she sighed, "We really should get dressed and get back on the road. The town is not any closer you know."

He turned his head now.

“I’d forgotten we were naked” he admitted, a note of wonder in his voice “Like Adam and Eve.” But now he remembered that they were the fallen and must carry themselves out of this Garden of Eden and off to the Land of Nod, or Kalispell as it was known in common parlance.

He loved watching Clara getting dressed: it was oddly erotic, seeing her beautiful body being covered, it was as arousing as watching, or helping, her uncover it. As she drew on her plain, utilitarian stockings and underwear he couldn’t resist reaching over and caressing her, stooping to kiss the top of her head.

“We could … no, you’re right!” he sighed, looking around for his trousers. His hat had blown away and got stuck on a bush, back the way they had come. He padded up, naked, to the bush to retrieve the round brimmed hat and gave a shriek! He padded back to Clara, the head-covering covering something else.

“It’s Ned!” he hissed to Clara “He’s on the road! In the cart! Just stood there!!”

@Wayfarer

• JulieS locked this topic