• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Mr. Smith knew a stacked deck against him when it was presented to him. He wasn't surprised really, the men were sticking up for the pretty gal instead of justice. It was the way of things. But he would try and get at least something out of his misery.   "Oh alright, I won't press charges but only if she pays whatever the doc here is gonna charge me for this here treatment," he answered.   "Of course, Miss Mundee here, well, she’ll have to wait on Anderson to decide her immediate fate.” Speed said. “With those others awaiting trial, have to take her to the County Sheriff’s lock up. Just about looking at a full house, well except for the basement cells.” He smiled at her.   "Fine! Not like I got any say in this do I?  Just a kindly young miss defendin' some poor innocent dog from mistreatment. Yeah, incar....incar..ser..?" Caroline was stumped.   "Throw me behind bars and lemme rot then," she shrugged.   "Hey Doc, you seem like a nice man? Can you let the saloon know where I am, please? Maybe my boss can post bail or somethin'? She is gonna need her singer/dancer tonight," she now addressed Danforth.   She pointed to herself, "That be me! You should come and hear me sometime. I admit my dancin' ain't the greatest but everyone sez I can sing real fine."   ooc: Forgot about this when I came home from my trip! We should be close to finishing it soon anyhow.   @Flip   @Bongo    
    • The good reverend had the kindness to offer to write down justwhat  it was the couple were going to have to recite from memory and scribbled the words down as he said them too. Clara was grateful for that much. Her dripping sarcasm seemingly had failed miserably on Jacob so she was stuck learning this. Fortunately it did not seem too long or so bad. That is if her nerves didn't fail her. Well, she would just have to find out. Besides, even if she bungled the vows, it could be easily sorted, nothing was going to stop them from getting married!   Hearing that all present would have to agree to the marriage gave Clara a bit of a new worry. Unanimous? So it would take only one to ....to scuttle the whole thing? A new thing to be nervous about. Afterall there would be Granny Miggins present.......oh and Arabella too. So far Arabella had been most supportive about the young couple but it was afterall Arabella. Mercurial described the child to a tee.   Clara took her copy, "Thank you, Reverend."   Then Jacob began to recite the whole thing. Now? Both Redmonds turned their gaze to watch and listen to the little performance. Strange.   When he had finished, Clara could only comment, "You are a bit early. This is not the ceremony yet."   Since Aurelian could not help with the ring, he then turned to the minister, "What is the cost of the marriage ceremony, use of the church and such? I will pay for it. It is tradition the father of the bride pay for the expenses."            
    • "Oh, really? Congratulations, then, Mrs. Soon-to-be Pike!" Lucinda smiled warmly, but her smile was tinged with sadness, as were her thoughts. This woman had found someone she liked enough to marry again, but Lucinda doubted that she ever would. Out here, anyway. Back east was a different story.   "I would be glad of the company if you could spare a few minutes," she answered. Now the question was...what would they talk about? All Lucinda wanted to know was news from the east, but it wasn't likely Emeline would know any more than she did. And as far as news went, living by yourself for six months didn't give you a lot of news-worthy things to talk about.   "Could I also have some water? I don't know about you, but stagecoaches make my throat terribly dry."
    • "White... fish?" José repeated, a little incredulous at such a name. Not that Kalispell was much better, but at least it was a name, rather than a color of aquatic creature. "No, I wasn't headed there. Why?"   "Uh, jest that it ain't there no more, an' you'd be wastin' your time huntin' her up.  Wasn't all that much anyway. I mean there was people what lived there, they had stores and all, but it jest never felt right. You know, somethin' off about the place." Carson explained as well as he could.   "Nest for outlaws mostly, a man had ta be careful what he said, an' such-like. But now Kalispell? That there's a growing concern. Most folks 'er friendly, Marshal seems to be a fair man. Yeah, a good place. So, what sortta work you looking for?" It was easy conversation for a lengthy ride across the range, pushing through the cattle when they crowded up.   "You might wanna douse that there lamp. Moon an' stars shed plenty of light out here." What he was thinking was, that a moving light crossing the Evergreen might bring on problems neither of them wanted, or needed.  @boshmi    
    • "Clara, your response is the same, merely with the first line as; 'I, Clara Redmond, take you, Jacob Lutz, to be my husband,' of course."   Jacob smiled warmly at Clara, his heart filling with joy at the thought of it, and catching Aurelian’s eye a lesser, more respectful one.   He wrote out the vow once more on a separate sheet, though with said amendment.   "Just before the vows, you will both declare intent, and I will ask the greater family if they give their blessing, at which point, Mr. Redmond, you and others of the family present must reply unanimously with 'we do.'" he told Clara's father. "Once that is sorted, you may exchange rings, or items, and say a piece of your own, if you so desire. I will bless the items, then your marriage, and finally, you will be man and wife, given that we have signed the certificate, either before or during the ceremony."   Compared to many other undertakings in life, the whole thing seemed ludicrously simple: there seemed to be only one factor that could make it go wrong; the usual one; people.   The priest took the vows he’d written and moved down from the lectern to pass them to Jacob and Clara. “They aren’t too long, so it shouldn’t be all that difficult to memorize them.”   Jacob glanced down his script, and then folded the paper, and closing his eyes intoned in a sort of sing song voice he used for memorising poems and passages of prose he liked: "So… 'Inthe nameofGod,…. I JL, take you, CR, tobemywife, tohaveandto holdfromthisdayf’rw’rd, forbetterfor worse, forricherfor poorer, in sickness and in health” for some reason he said these words more distinctly, like they were less familiar or didn’t quite fit into his mnemonic process “…toloveandtocherish, untilwearepartedbydeath. Thisismysolemnvow.In the name of God… yeah, I think I got it." He opened his eyes to see everybody staring at him.   “What?” he asked, blinking.   @Wayfarer @boshmi

“Well, Jacob and Clara are repentant, and I believe the Lord will forgive them. Furthermore, they clearly care for each other, enough to risk the ire of their families and community. They might have kept this all a secret, and run off together – it speaks to their dedication to one another, and respect for you, that they would stay, seeking approval and a union in the eyes of the town and God.” Thomas said, keeping his voice level and inoffensive. “As for your refusal to acquiesce, I can only hope it will not come to that.”

"Pardon my possible blasphemy but I do not rightly care if they are repentant and forgiven by God. That's his call isn't it," Aurelian pointed out.

"She and the boy have to deal with the consequences now whether they are sorry or not. Nothing changes. Their lives are going to be..." he paused, not wanting to finish that sentence. This was his beloved Clara and he did not want to see her suffer.

"Our lives are going to be ours, father," Clara interjected, "We both know it's going to be difficult in so many ways but not being married is only going to make it that much harder. And the baby, it deserves a family, married parents. None of this is the baby's doing."

"I know that, Clara. I really don't need a sixteen year old explaining all this to me, thank you," Aurelian sighed.

"Jacob, has your older sister been appraised of this? How did she take it?"  He was after all only one half of this equation, there was Jacob's side.

• Love 1

"Pardon my possible blasphemy but I do not rightly care if they are repentant and forgiven by God. That's his call isn't it?"

Thomas frowned, but said nothing. It would probably be best to let Mr. Redmond get this out of his system, rather than pick at his words and potentially invoke greater anger. He needed to say his piece, and now was not the time to stop him.

"She and the boy have to deal with the consequences now whether they are sorry or not. Nothing changes. Their lives are going to be..."

"Our lives are going to be ours, father. We both know it's going to be difficult in so many ways but not being married is only going to make it that much harder. And the baby, it deserves a family, married parents. None of this is the baby's doing."

"I know that, Clara. I really don't need a sixteen year old explaining all this to me, thank you."

"Jacob, has your older sister been appraised of this? How did she take it?" Mr. Redmond asked with a sigh, and Thomas felt the tension lessen by just a touch. Granny Miggins had been alright with this, and maybe they could win Clara's father over with numbers yet.

(ooc: I know Thomas doesn't actually do much in this post, but I honestly didn't think he'd want to interrupt Raylan Aurelian)

@Javia @Wayfarer

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Pardon my possible blasphemy but I do not rightly care if they are repentant and forgiven by God. That's his call isn't it?"

Jacob couldn’t help but agree, but he wasn’t about to say that in front of Father Thomas, they needed the tall churchman’s help. He didn’t say anything either but let the disconsolate father of the bride-to-be carry on.

"She and the boy have to deal with the consequences now whether they are sorry or not. Nothing changes. Their lives are going to be..."

Yes, well, Jacob didn’t particularly like being referred to as ‘The Boy’ but, again, this was no time for interrupting or correcting the wronged father. Well, that’s what he thought but Clara, knowing him better and maybe a little more outspoken than he, begged to differ:

"Our lives are going to be ours, father. We both know it's going to be difficult in so many ways but not being married is only going to make it that much harder. And the baby, it deserves a family, married parents. None of this is the baby's doing."

"I know that, Clara. I really don't need a sixteen year old explaining all this to me, thank you."

He squeezed her hand in silent support. He knew better than to actually get mixed up in an argument between family members, he was still an outsider yet. He remembered an incident when he was at school and he'd tried to break up a fight between the Wigfall Twins; he'd woken up on his back on the school yard with two lovely black eyes forming, unable to remember which of them had hit him first.

"Jacob, has your older sister been appraised of this? How did she take it?" Mr. Redmond asked with a sigh, and Thomas felt the tension lessen by just a touch. Granny Miggins had been alright with this, and maybe they could win Clara's father over with numbers yet.

“Yes Sir” answered the Lutz lad respectfully “I just told her today and she fainted clean away, we had to get the smelling salts to her. Well, and while she was in her delirium, she let it slip to my Grandmother, that’s old Mrs Miggins, Sir. She was pretty good about it, to be honest and wanted to help us but she and Clara had a little disagreement about some, uur, arrangements and…” he had to be diplomatic “…Clara was in the right, of course!” he added, giving her hand another squeeze of love and loyalty. He had secretly decided, like most husbands who survive marriage, that from now on in, Clara was always going to be in the right.

Talking of diplomacy, he neglected to mention that, as well as the Reverend Reed, the farmhand Ned, the pie-maker Emeline Blakesley, and the piano-ponding pot girl Arabella Mudd also knew about the whole affair before he did.

@Wayfarer @boshmi

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Made Me Laugh! 1

"Jacob, has your older sister been appraised of this? How did she take it?" Mr. Redmond asked with a sigh.

“Yes Sir” answered the Lutz lad respectfully “I just told her today and she fainted clean away, we had to get the smelling salts to her. Well, and while she was in her delirium, she let it slip to my Grandmother, that’s old Mrs Miggins, Sir. She was pretty good about it, to be honest and wanted to help us but she and Clara had a little disagreement about some, uur, arrangements and…” he had to be diplomatic “…Clara was in the right, of course!” he added, giving her hand.

Not three months ago Clara would have recoiled at any such touch, why she never even hugged or let herself be hugged by her own father or brother  (though with Wyatt, little chance of that), but now the girl treasured every bit of physical contact with her husband to be. And Jacob was going to be her husband alright, regardless of her father's decision. But she desperately hoped he would agree.

OOC:

*****He had secretly decided, like most husbands who survive marriage, that from now on in, Clara was always going to be in the right.*****     Great line!!

Aurelian stood there, clearly perturbed, well angry, and yes, hurt too. But his mind also went back to when he was a young man and fell in love with his now departed Catherine. He would never tell Clara but the truth was they too had slept together before they were ever married. The difference had been, Catherine had not gotten pregnant. Clara was not so lucky. Maybe the apple didn't fall too far from the tree?

"Very well then," he got that much out, paused (it was obviously hard to continue) then focused on Jacob, "Aright boy...Jacob....you have my permission to marry Clara. As much as for the sake of the baby as the both of you."

"Thank you, father," Clara kept it very simple but she was smiling thru tears.

Aurelian glanced then at the minister, "Kindly pretend you didn't hear this next part."

Then it was back to making eye contact with young Lutz, "And just so you know, treat her right. And if you run out on her, you better keep on running because I will come looking for you. Just so you understand."

• Like 1

A moment passed, maybe two, and the angry gaze of Clara's father finally seemed to renege.

"Very well then... alright boy... Jacob... you have my permission to marry Clara. As much as for the sake of the baby as the both of you."

Thomas could not help but smile at this outcome; really the best he could have hoped for. A family-supported couple were so much more likely to thrive than one without, and God knew that Jacob and Clara would need plenty of support in the years to come.

"Kindly pretend you didn't hear this next part." Mr. Redmond told Thomas, before addressing Jacob. "and just so you know, treat her right. And if you run out on her, you better keep on running because I will come looking for you. Just so you understand."

Thomas glanced between boy and man, before quickly cutting in to move the balance of conversation to a less unpleasant dynamic; "Right, well, now, I'd say there's a wedding to plan. Clara, Jacob, Mr. Redmond, might you three have any preferences as to how it should be conducted?"

@Javia@Wayfarer

• Liked your post, Pard! 1

"Very well then... alright boy... Jacob... you have my permission to marry Clara. As much as for the sake of the baby as the both of you."

“Thank you, Sir.” Jacob nodded seriously, although his heart was leaping with joy and he was now squeezing Clara’s hand so hard that she was lucky to come out of the whole scene without broken bones to mend.

"Kindly pretend you didn't hear this next part." Mr. Redmond told Thomas, before addressing Jacob. "and just so you know, treat her right. And if you run out on her, you better keep on running because I will come looking for you. Just so you understand."

Jacob felt sad that the man thought he could be capable of such an action but, after all, he didn’t really know Jacob and the proud father couldn’t be blamed for not trusting him, yet. He knew that he would have to earn the man’s respect, and that this hadn’t been a particularly great beginning to that task.

“Mr Redmond, you have my word.” He intoned and took a risk: looking straight at Aurelian, he let go of Clara’s hand and held out his own toward the man, half expecting himself to be shamed by a refusal, but feeling that if they were to ever get on, man to man, they had to seal the bargain in the age old manner.  

Thomas glanced between boy and man, before quickly cutting in to move the balance of conversation to a less unpleasant dynamic; “Right, well, now, I’d say there’s a wedding to plan. Clara, Jacob, Mr. Redmond, might you three have any preferences as to how it should be conducted?”

Yeah - Damn Quickly! thought Jacob, thinking of the increasing size of his fiancé's belly, but out loud said “Well Father, I’m Reformed Mennonite but I’d even have a Baptist Wedding if it meant being with Clara for the rest of my life.” He smiled longingly at her as he took up her hand again. Of course, he was joking about the Baptist wedding! As if!

@Wayfarer @boshmi

"Mr Redmond, you have my word.” the lad intoned and took a risk: looking straight at Aurelian, he let go of Clara’s hand and held out his own toward the man.

Aurelian accepted the handshake and gave the young man a hard few pumps with his firm grip but certainly was not trying to hurt him, he wasn't that sort of person. He realized he was going to have to learn to accept Jacob at least, maybe even grow to like him. Two things were already going for the lad. First he seemed straight forward and honest, secondly Clara obviously trusted him and he did value her judgement about people.

"Very well then," Aurelian did not crack a smile but did give a nod as the handshake broke off.

“Right, well, now, I’d say there’s a wedding to plan. Clara, Jacob, Mr. Redmond, might you three have any preferences as to how it should be conducted?” 

Fr. Thomas then spoke up, “Right, well, now, I’d say there’s a wedding to plan. Clara, Jacob, Mr. Redmond, might you three have any preferences as to how it should be conducted?” 

“Well Father, I’m Reformed Mennonite but I’d even have a Baptist Wedding if it meant being with Clara for the rest of my life," Jacob answered.

"Let's not carried away," Clara commented then in that dry humor of hers.

Then she launched into her own wishes for this upcoming wedding, "First of all we do not want any fuss and unnecessary expense. We want it to be a simple service with a select few present. The sooner the better. If it can happen ..........tomorrow, I would be ecstatic  (as if Clara was ever ecstatic about anything). "

Aurelian shrugged, "If that's how you want it." 

She wasn't his little girl anymore, if he had begun to come to terms with it this past year the events of this day made that absolutely true.

Clara-again.jpg

• Love 1

“Well Father, I’m Reformed Mennonite but I’d even have a Baptist Wedding if it meant being with Clara for the rest of my life."

"Let's not carried away. First of all we do not want any fuss and unnecessary expense. We want it to be a simple service with a select few present. The sooner the better. If it can happen... tomorrow, I would be ecstatic."

"Very well, just a moment, please..." Thomas said, quickly moving back to the lectern to grab a spare note sheet and a pencil, upon which he wrote out; Mennonite(?), minimal expense, select few, sooner the better.

He looked up to the couple, pencil poised. He had begun to run through the marriage sequences in his head, and would need to sort them as he went. Typically Mennonite weddings would be hosted with the full congregation, but that seemed counterintuitive to the young couple's wishes, and Clara didn't seem all that enthused about Jacob's Mennonitic declaration anyway.

"Now, we'll likely open with the procession, in which Jacob, you and I enter first and come to the altar, followed by the best man and maid of honor on the left and right respectively, who will then be followed by Clara and Mr. Redmond, again on the left and right respectively. Once you two reach the altar, traditionally, Mr. Redmond, you will give Clara's hand to Jacob." he told them. "That is, if you intend to conduct the ceremony in the church. Do you have ideas as to your best man and maid of honor? Or even potential groomsmen and bridesmaids?"

@Javia@Wayfarer

Edited by boshmi (see edit history)
  • Love 1

Luckily none of them was particularly fussy about the exact doctrinal form of the wedding, only that it be inexpensive, small and fast: like a pocket gopher. To be honest, the tall priest seemed to know more about his nominal religion than Jacob himself: he and his sisters had inherited the mantle from their father who had dies when they were younger: a freak accident where he’d fallen though a trapdoor and broken his neck; building a house or something, they had always supposed.   

"Now, we'll likely open with the procession, in which Jacob, you and I enter first and come to the altar, followed by the best man and maid of honor on the left and right respectively, who will then be followed by Clara and Mr. Redmond, again on the left and right respectively. Once you two reach the altar, traditionally, Mr. Redmond, you will give Clara's hand to Jacob." he told them. "That is, if you intend to conduct the ceremony in the church. Do you have ideas as to your best man and maid of honor? Or even potential groomsmen and bridesmaids?"

Jacob’s heart sank. Best man? The only young man he knew really was the bumptious Heck Wigfall from school – he could just imagine that idiot bursting into church, seeing Clara and shouting ‘Jesus Lutz, how’d a ugly plug like you end up  with a peach like that? D’ya get her pregnant or something?!’ He shuddered. Ned would have been great, pity he was black - that would be too shocking. Hmm, then an idea struck him that would kill two birds with one stone.

“Reverend, er, everybody…” he looked at them all in turn “Would it be acceptable if I had a best woman instead of a best man?” It was a shocking idea true, but he could always pass it off as being a ‘Reformed Mennonite Thing’ He glanced down at Clara.

“It’s Arabella, see? I think she’s got her heart set on being your bridesmaid, dearest, and, well, I know you can barely just tolerate her. But she’s been a real pal to me and well…ahem…” he actually began to tear up a little, before pulling himself together and carrying on “… she kinda got us two together and, well, she brought us all here together today, even you, Sir,… somehow or other.” He looked at Mr Redmond a little questioningly.

“It’ll stop her pestering you about being a bridesmaid, dearest, and, to be honest, why, I’d be happy to have her by my side to hand me the ring.” Even as he said the last part of this little speech an alarm bell tolled heavily in his head: OH CRAP!! THEY’D NEED A RING!!!!

Others in the room might have been a little more perturbed by the idea of how the Best Man’s Woman’s speech might turn out.

@Wayfarer @boshmi

"Whoa! Excuse me, Rev. Thomas but ..." Clara started only Jacob then spoke up.

“Reverend, er, everybody…” he looked at them all in turn “Would it be acceptable if I had a best woman instead of a best man?”

"What?" Clara met his glance with an incredulous glance back. Mennonites, women best men?

Aurelian eyed the young man dubiously.

Jacob then started his explanation, "It’s Arabella, see? I think she’s got her heart set on being your bridesmaid, dearest, and, well, I know you can barely just tolerate her."

"That is not true, Jacob," Clare begged to differ.

"But she’s been a real pal to me and well…ahem…” he actually began to tear up a little, before pulling himself together and carrying on “… she kinda got us two together and, well, she brought us all here together today, even you, Sir,… somehow or other.” He looked at Mr Redmond a little questioningly.

Aurelian had no intention of getting involved in this even if he thought it the lad's request a mighty strange one. Besides he knew Clara was desperately wanting to get a word in what with the minister and Jacob  each having their say.

“It’ll stop her pestering you about being a bridesmaid, dearest, and, to be honest, why, I’d be happy to have her by my side to hand me the ring.”

"Alright first off all those arguments for Arabella being a best man are hardly valid, more like pure circumstances," Clara pointed out, "other than the last statement I will concede."

She sighed, already her own desires were being tossed aside. But she was trying very hard to be the dutiful wife here and taken his views into account.

"Very well then, I will ask Arabella to be my brides mate but Emeline...." she quickly changed it to, "Mrs. Blakesley is still going to be at the wedding."

Even though in her opinion Emeline was much more deserving, she'd concede to Jacob on this point then but now that she had done so, it was time for her to lay down the law as it were about the rest of the service.

"Now then, Reverend, there will be absolutely no Mennonite service. Make it Presbyterian or Methodist and make it brief, to the point. Again, I wish to stress this will be a small simple service. Immediate family on both sides and just a few guests. Soon as the service is over we shall make our way to the farm," she quickly looked to her father, "If that is acceptable?"

"Yes, it is, daughter," Aurelian nodded.

"I will see to it there is food on the table. If your sister and your grandmother wish to bring some, that would be appreciated."

"Oh and as for rings, we cannot afford any rings. I do believe rings are not a necessity for a proper wedding," she glanced at the clergyman.

• Love 1

“Reverend, er, everybody… would it be acceptable if I had a best woman instead of a best man?”

"What?"

"It’s Arabella, see? I think she’s got her heart set on being your bridesmaid, dearest, and, well, I know you can barely just tolerate her."

"That is not true, Jacob,"

"But she’s been a real pal to me and well… ahem… she kinda got us two together and, well, she brought us all here together today, even you, Sir… somehow or other. It’ll stop her pestering you about being a bridesmaid, dearest, and, to be honest, why, I’d be happy to have her by my side to hand me the ring.”

Thomas frowned, struggling to recall exactly what the verdict was on this sort of thing. "I can't say that it's explicitly forbidden anywhere, but it would be highly unorthodox." he chimed in, though Clara seemed to have her own ideas. He got the inkling that this would be symptomatic of their relationship to come.

"Very well then, I will ask Arabella to be my bridesmaid but Emeline... Mrs. Blakesley is still going to be at the wedding."

"Mrs. Blakesley could act as Bridesmaid as well, or Maid of Honor, if you wanted." Thomas offered. "The procession would function much the same, simply with the Bridesmaid following the Maid of Honor in line." As things stood, Jacob's side of the wedding march lay awfully bare, but perhaps that would be remedied soon.

"Now then, Reverend, there will be absolutely no Mennonite service. Make it Presbyterian or Methodist and make it brief, to the point. Again, I wish to stress this will be a small simple service. Immediate family on both sides and just a few guests. Soon as the service is over we shall make our way to the farm. If that is acceptable?"

"Yes, it is, daughter.

"I will see to it there is food on the table. If your sister and your grandmother wish to bring some, that would be appreciated."

"Oh and as for rings, we cannot afford any rings. I do believe rings are not a necessity for a proper wedding."

"No, they are not." Thomas confirmed, as he quickly revised the notes sheet upon the lectern; scribbling out 'Mennonite(?)' and adding 'Arabella Mudd', 'Emeline Blakesley', and 'No ring exchange.'

"It is also possible to exchange some other item, if you so desire, but again, this is not necessary."

"Now, we can sort out attendants as we move forward. At the altar, I will give a... Methodist service..." he said slowly, to allow for any objections, "Followed by your vows. There are three ways we can go about the vows; first; I can read them to you in turn, and you will reply with 'I do' or 'I will.' Second; I can read each line one by one, and you can repeat them after me, or third; I can tell you the vows now, and you can recite them from memory on the day, unassisted."

@Javia@Wayfarer

• Love 1

Well, Jacob’s novel idea of having a best woman was swiftly shot to sh... shreds, but at least good old Reb would get the sort of starring role she’d covet. Mrs Blakesley was pegged for some kind of Matron of Honor role, which would make Clara happy. That left him back with a gap on Team Lutz. Good grief, it’d have to be Wigfall after all.

"Now then, Reverend, there will be absolutely no Mennonite service. Make it Presbyterian or Methodist and make it brief, to the point. Again, I wish to stress this will be a small simple service. Immediate family on both sides and just a few guests. Soon as the service is over we shall make our way to the farm. If that is acceptable?"

"Yes, it is, daughter.

Jacob nodded dutifully at all this, only raising his hand at the end tentatively and adding a correction to the minutes “Er, only Reverend, it’s a Reformed Mennonite service we won’t be having, if you could, er…” he gestured absently to Reed’s notes. After all, all his Daddy had left him when he died was two sisters; his mother’s wedding ring, which Josephina had nabbed; and a stupid religion – they might as well get the name of it right!

"Oh and as for rings, we cannot afford any rings. I do believe rings are not a necessity for a proper wedding."

"No, they are not." Thomas confirmed, as he quickly revised the notes sheet upon the lectern; scribbling out 'Mennonite(?)' and adding 'Arabella Mudd', 'Emeline Blakesley', and 'No ring exchange.'

"It is also possible to exchange some other item, if you so desire, but again, this is not necessary."

“Whoa – oh no  – er, I’ll get a ring!” Jacob suddenly piped up. “No wife of mine’s going to get married without a ring.” He thought to look at Clara’s fingers to see how big it would need to be. Hmmm, they were quite pudgy really. Damn, that would add to the cost, he assumed.

He smiled at Clara reassuringly, wondering where the heck to get a decent ring from, for only gold would be fine enough for his beloved Clara.

"Now, we can sort out attendants as we move forward. At the altar, I will give a... Methodist service..." he said slowly, to allow for any objections

Jacob nodded compliantly.

"Followed by your vows. There are three ways we can go about the vows; first; I can read them to you in turn, and you will reply with 'I do' or 'I will.' Second; I can read each line one by one, and you can repeat them after me, or third; I can tell you the vows now, and you can recite them from memory on the day, unassisted."

“Recite them from memory on the day!” snapped back Jacob immediately. “Unassisted!”

@Wayfarer @boshmi

• Like 1

"Mrs. Blakesley could act as Bridesmaid as well, or Maid of Honor, if you wanted." Thomas offered. "The procession would function much the same, simply with the Bridesmaid following the Maid of Honor in line."

"Yes, that could work," Clara nodded, she would ask Emeline her view on the matter, as long as Emeline attended, that was the important thing.

Clara sighed just a little as Jacob corrected the good reverend about exactly what sort of Mennonite service they WERE NOT HAVING. Like she cared. But if he thought it important......so be it.

For just an instant she thought that scrounging up a ring or rings was not going to be an issue but Jacob was having none of it.

“Whoa – oh no  – er, I’ll get a ring!” Jacob suddenly piped up. “No wife of mine’s going to get married without a ring.”

"I do not need a ring, I have you, that is all I want...well, that and our baby," Clara had no idea where Jacob was going to get his hands on a ring without spending money. Unless, there was a ring in his family that was unworn at this time? Maybe...

Aurelian kept quiet, regretting now he had sold his beloved wife's ring after her death. But he had been so desperate for money and even then, it did not fetch much. But he knew Catherine would have backed him up, the children came first.

Fr. Thomas announced then a Methodist service, Clara nodded and glanced at Jacob who agreed too.

"Followed by your vows. There are three ways we can go about the vows; first; I can read them to you in turn, and you will reply with 'I do' or 'I will.' " 

Clara nodded, that sounded simple enough.

"Second; I can read each line one by one, and you can repeat them after me."

That was good too, Clara felt, one less thing to worry about regarding the wedding.

"or third; I can tell you the vows now, and you can recite them from memory on the day, unassisted."

Ugh, that was that much more to do, adding to the pressure of all this and what if she messed it up? She had so much on her mind already. Not to mention she just knew she was going to be nervous.

“Recite them from memory on the day!” snapped back Jacob immediately. “Unassisted!”

Clara looked at him as if to say  'are you kidding?'. Then gave a big sigh.

"Very well....we can memorize them. After all I have nothing to do prior to the wedding anyhow do I?" she once more gave in to Jacob.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

“Recite them from memory on the day! Unassisted!”

"Very well....we can memorize them. After all I have nothing to do prior to the wedding anyhow do I?"

Thomas nodded. "Very well. I'll uh, write these down..." he said, as he rifled through the papers atop the lectern for another spare sheet.

"Right, you will join hands before the altar, and Jacob, you will go first. The vow is as follows; 'In the name of God, I, Jacob Lutz, take you, Clara Redmond, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow.'" Thomas said, copying out each word as he went.

"Clara, your response is the same, merely with the first line as; 'I, Clara Redmond, take you, Jacob Lutz, to be my husband,' of course."

He wrote out the vow once more on a separate sheet, though with said amendment.

"Just before the vows, you will both declare intent, and I will ask the greater family if they give their blessing, at which point, Mr. Redmond, you and others of the family present must reply unanimously with 'we do.'" he told Clara's father. "Once that is sorted, you may exchange rings, or items, and say a piece of your own, if you so desire. I will bless the items, then your marriage, and finally, you will be man and wife, given that we have signed the certificate, either before or during the ceremony."

The priest took the vows he'd written and moved down from the lectern to pass them to Jacob and Clara. "They aren't too long, so it shouldn't be all that difficult to memorize them."

@Javia@Wayfarer

• Love 1

"Clara, your response is the same, merely with the first line as; 'I, Clara Redmond, take you, Jacob Lutz, to be my husband,' of course."

Jacob smiled warmly at Clara, his heart filling with joy at the thought of it, and catching Aurelian’s eye a lesser, more respectful one.

He wrote out the vow once more on a separate sheet, though with said amendment.

"Just before the vows, you will both declare intent, and I will ask the greater family if they give their blessing, at which point, Mr. Redmond, you and others of the family present must reply unanimously with 'we do.'" he told Clara's father. "Once that is sorted, you may exchange rings, or items, and say a piece of your own, if you so desire. I will bless the items, then your marriage, and finally, you will be man and wife, given that we have signed the certificate, either before or during the ceremony."

Compared to many other undertakings in life, the whole thing seemed ludicrously simple: there seemed to be only one factor that could make it go wrong; the usual one; people.

The priest took the vows he’d written and moved down from the lectern to pass them to Jacob and Clara. “They aren’t too long, so it shouldn’t be all that difficult to memorize them.”

Jacob glanced down his script, and then folded the paper, and closing his eyes intoned in a sort of sing song voice he used for memorising poems and passages of prose he liked: "So… 'Inthe nameofGod,…. I JL, take you, CR, tobemywife, tohaveandto holdfromthisdayf’rw’rd, forbetterfor worse, forricherfor poorer, in sickness and in health” for some reason he said these words more distinctly, like they were less familiar or didn’t quite fit into his mnemonic process “…toloveandtocherish, untilwearepartedbydeath. Thisismysolemnvow.In the name of God… yeah, I think I got it." He opened his eyes to see everybody staring at him.

“What?” he asked, blinking.

@Wayfarer @boshmi

The good reverend had the kindness to offer to write down justwhat  it was the couple were going to have to recite from memory and scribbled the words down as he said them too. Clara was grateful for that much. Her dripping sarcasm seemingly had failed miserably on Jacob so she was stuck learning this. Fortunately it did not seem too long or so bad. That is if her nerves didn't fail her. Well, she would just have to find out. Besides, even if she bungled the vows, it could be easily sorted, nothing was going to stop them from getting married!

Hearing that all present would have to agree to the marriage gave Clara a bit of a new worry. Unanimous? So it would take only one to ....to scuttle the whole thing? A new thing to be nervous about. Afterall there would be Granny Miggins present.......oh and Arabella too. So far Arabella had been most supportive about the young couple but it was afterall Arabella. Mercurial described the child to a tee.

Clara took her copy, "Thank you, Reverend."

Then Jacob began to recite the whole thing. Now? Both Redmonds turned their gaze to watch and listen to the little performance. Strange.

When he had finished, Clara could only comment, "You are a bit early. This is not the ceremony yet."

Since Aurelian could not help with the ring, he then turned to the minister, "What is the cost of the marriage ceremony, use of the church and such? I will pay for it. It is tradition the father of the bride pay for the expenses."

• Love 1