• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Mr. Smith knew a stacked deck against him when it was presented to him. He wasn't surprised really, the men were sticking up for the pretty gal instead of justice. It was the way of things. But he would try and get at least something out of his misery.   "Oh alright, I won't press charges but only if she pays whatever the doc here is gonna charge me for this here treatment," he answered.   "Of course, Miss Mundee here, well, she’ll have to wait on Anderson to decide her immediate fate.” Speed said. “With those others awaiting trial, have to take her to the County Sheriff’s lock up. Just about looking at a full house, well except for the basement cells.” He smiled at her.   "Fine! Not like I got any say in this do I?  Just a kindly young miss defendin' some poor innocent dog from mistreatment. Yeah, incar....incar..ser..?" Caroline was stumped.   "Throw me behind bars and lemme rot then," she shrugged.   "Hey Doc, you seem like a nice man? Can you let the saloon know where I am, please? Maybe my boss can post bail or somethin'? She is gonna need her singer/dancer tonight," she now addressed Danforth.   She pointed to herself, "That be me! You should come and hear me sometime. I admit my dancin' ain't the greatest but everyone sez I can sing real fine."   ooc: Forgot about this when I came home from my trip! We should be close to finishing it soon anyhow.   @Flip   @Bongo    
    • The good reverend had the kindness to offer to write down justwhat  it was the couple were going to have to recite from memory and scribbled the words down as he said them too. Clara was grateful for that much. Her dripping sarcasm seemingly had failed miserably on Jacob so she was stuck learning this. Fortunately it did not seem too long or so bad. That is if her nerves didn't fail her. Well, she would just have to find out. Besides, even if she bungled the vows, it could be easily sorted, nothing was going to stop them from getting married!   Hearing that all present would have to agree to the marriage gave Clara a bit of a new worry. Unanimous? So it would take only one to ....to scuttle the whole thing? A new thing to be nervous about. Afterall there would be Granny Miggins present.......oh and Arabella too. So far Arabella had been most supportive about the young couple but it was afterall Arabella. Mercurial described the child to a tee.   Clara took her copy, "Thank you, Reverend."   Then Jacob began to recite the whole thing. Now? Both Redmonds turned their gaze to watch and listen to the little performance. Strange.   When he had finished, Clara could only comment, "You are a bit early. This is not the ceremony yet."   Since Aurelian could not help with the ring, he then turned to the minister, "What is the cost of the marriage ceremony, use of the church and such? I will pay for it. It is tradition the father of the bride pay for the expenses."            
    • "Oh, really? Congratulations, then, Mrs. Soon-to-be Pike!" Lucinda smiled warmly, but her smile was tinged with sadness, as were her thoughts. This woman had found someone she liked enough to marry again, but Lucinda doubted that she ever would. Out here, anyway. Back east was a different story.   "I would be glad of the company if you could spare a few minutes," she answered. Now the question was...what would they talk about? All Lucinda wanted to know was news from the east, but it wasn't likely Emeline would know any more than she did. And as far as news went, living by yourself for six months didn't give you a lot of news-worthy things to talk about.   "Could I also have some water? I don't know about you, but stagecoaches make my throat terribly dry."
    • "White... fish?" José repeated, a little incredulous at such a name. Not that Kalispell was much better, but at least it was a name, rather than a color of aquatic creature. "No, I wasn't headed there. Why?"   "Uh, jest that it ain't there no more, an' you'd be wastin' your time huntin' her up.  Wasn't all that much anyway. I mean there was people what lived there, they had stores and all, but it jest never felt right. You know, somethin' off about the place." Carson explained as well as he could.   "Nest for outlaws mostly, a man had ta be careful what he said, an' such-like. But now Kalispell? That there's a growing concern. Most folks 'er friendly, Marshal seems to be a fair man. Yeah, a good place. So, what sortta work you looking for?" It was easy conversation for a lengthy ride across the range, pushing through the cattle when they crowded up.   "You might wanna douse that there lamp. Moon an' stars shed plenty of light out here." What he was thinking was, that a moving light crossing the Evergreen might bring on problems neither of them wanted, or needed.  @boshmi    
    • "Clara, your response is the same, merely with the first line as; 'I, Clara Redmond, take you, Jacob Lutz, to be my husband,' of course."   Jacob smiled warmly at Clara, his heart filling with joy at the thought of it, and catching Aurelian’s eye a lesser, more respectful one.   He wrote out the vow once more on a separate sheet, though with said amendment.   "Just before the vows, you will both declare intent, and I will ask the greater family if they give their blessing, at which point, Mr. Redmond, you and others of the family present must reply unanimously with 'we do.'" he told Clara's father. "Once that is sorted, you may exchange rings, or items, and say a piece of your own, if you so desire. I will bless the items, then your marriage, and finally, you will be man and wife, given that we have signed the certificate, either before or during the ceremony."   Compared to many other undertakings in life, the whole thing seemed ludicrously simple: there seemed to be only one factor that could make it go wrong; the usual one; people.   The priest took the vows he’d written and moved down from the lectern to pass them to Jacob and Clara. “They aren’t too long, so it shouldn’t be all that difficult to memorize them.”   Jacob glanced down his script, and then folded the paper, and closing his eyes intoned in a sort of sing song voice he used for memorising poems and passages of prose he liked: "So… 'Inthe nameofGod,…. I JL, take you, CR, tobemywife, tohaveandto holdfromthisdayf’rw’rd, forbetterfor worse, forricherfor poorer, in sickness and in health” for some reason he said these words more distinctly, like they were less familiar or didn’t quite fit into his mnemonic process “…toloveandtocherish, untilwearepartedbydeath. Thisismysolemnvow.In the name of God… yeah, I think I got it." He opened his eyes to see everybody staring at him.   “What?” he asked, blinking.   @Wayfarer @boshmi
The Old Ranger

Numbers May Not Be Enough

Mature Content: Yes, threat of violence, possible language.

With: Marshal Guyer, Deputy Pike, Layton Harris, Arlen Granger, Amos Conroy
When: Monday, April 24, 1876
Time of Day: Nearly Noon.

content-divider.png

The west was a place where men started over. Where they put aside the past, either the good or the bad of it, such as the war now eleven years gone. The trials and tribulations of moving west, such as the perils of new country. Indians, drought, lawless men and women that preyed on the wagon trains, stage coaches and the like.

But the men and women who built the towns in this new country were strong, brave and determined. There were no gangs of men that took over towns, with the possible exception of small start up places. There were too many men and women who had fought their way to the place they called home, and they'd be damned if anyone was simply going to come in waving a gun around and demanding surrender of what they had built.

But on the morning of Monday, April 24, 1876 riders from the Evergreen Ranch were headed for Kalispell with the idea of breaking Case Steelgrave out of jail. They knew that no town ever buckled under such a threat, but they came at a canter, hard men, dangerous men, armed to the teeth, riding into harms way on the orders of one man, a man that would see them shot if they failed him.

As the day was beginning to unfold, Amos Conroy stopped for a late breakfast at the Lickskillet Cafe. The one Speed Guyer had bragged on. He took out his pocket watch noting it was nearly nine and he had a ten o'clock appointment with a Miss Ada Fetterman. Speed's office clerk about the job he had been hired for.

So, there was time for his breakfast. Alice would be at the ranch, awaiting the delivery of their furniture and other belongings. She was a good woman, he reflected as he entered the eatery. Stubborn as all get out, but good none the less. She had stuck with him through thick and thin to be sure. Turned down several men for reasons she kept to herself, but Amos did not worry about her. There would come a time when a man would come along for her where you couldn't say no.

He found a seat and sat down, a fair amount of customers were inside, a couple of hands in town for some reason or other enjoying cooking that was not the cookies, four old times drinking coffee and talking quietly, except for an occasional burst of laughter. He looked up as the waitress approached.

@Bongo

"Good morning."  Emeline smiled as she approached the table, not recognizing the man, but always pleased for new customers.  She had to wonder if he was a newcomer to town, or just a newcomer to the cafe, or perhaps someone just passing through.  Maybe she'd ask later, but first things first.

"Good morning.  Would you like some coffee to start?"  She indicated the pot she was carrying in one hand, and the mug she had in the other.

@Flip

“Now yer talkin’ ma’am. Coffee’d be right nice.” Amos answered with a grin. Mebee ya got some side meat an’ eggs? Like the meat medium and the cackle-berries over medium if ya do ‘em that way. Name’s Amos, Amos Conroy. The daughter and I got a place east of town. Rafter A.”  

So introductions were made from his side of the table, he smiled at the woman, not knowing if she was the owner or hired help.

@Bongo-Maybe move this to the Lickskillet?

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Conroy, and welcome to town."  Emeline smiled as she jotted down the order.  "I'm Emeline, I own the place, and we're always happy for new customers.  I'll get that order started for you.  Oh, and just keep in mind that pie is good any time of day!"

Giving the man a friendly wink, she headed for the kitchen, returning several minutes later with a steaming plate of steak, eggs and potatoes, as well as a fresh pot of coffee.

"There you go, sir.  Will there be anything else?"

@Flip

(Moving would be okay, but I don't know how to do that!)

"There you go, sir.  Will there be anything else?"

"'scuse me, Ma'am, but Marshal Guyer has an office fer his minin' operations, where would that be?" He asked. "Have me an appointment with a Miss Ada Fetterman."

He looked at the plate and smiled. "Now that's a breakfast, Thank ya Ma'am."

@Bongo

"Oh, I believe the mining office is on the other side of the road, a block or so up."  Emeline wondered if he was looking to speculate, but it was none of her business, and she certainly didn't begrudge anyone who was willing to do it. It was long, hard work, and only a small percentage ever actually made a good living at it.

She glanced up as another customer came in and settled at the next table.  "Good morning, Dr. Danforth."  Without having to ask, she filled a mug with coffee for him.  He was a regular customer, trading any manner of goods he got in payment for his services, such as eggs, milk, preserves, for meals.

"Are you having the usual?"

"Yes, thank you, Mrs. Blakesley."  Jonah smiled and sipped the coffee as Emeline went to prepare his flapjacks and eggs.

@Flip

Posted (edited)

Amos looked up from his meal, "Doctor is it? Now that's a bright spot in this town. An honest to by-God goodness medical man. Amos Conroy." He reached across the open space, which required a bit of a lean, his hand open. "This here's quite the place. Mostly towns of this sort aren't what I've found here. Meanin' a lot more friendly than most places I've been in my time."

"Real pleased to meet you Doctor. Real pleased." Amos stated. "Got a daughter out to our pplace east of here, she'll be glad to hear of a Doctor in town, I can garen'tee you that."

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

"Good to meet you, sir."  Jonah smiled as he shook the man's hand.  "And not just one, there's another doctor as well.  I know it's unusual for a town this size, but it has its advantages.  We're even working to bring a hospital to town."  A huge advance, if Leah could pull it off, and if anyone could do it, it would be that young woman.

He chuckled.  "It's friendly enough here, but not without its troubles."  It was a territorial mining community, that brought all sorts of characters, criminals among them.  "Wasn't long ago some men tried to rob the bank, as a matter of fact."

@Flip

"Good to meet you, sir."  Jonah smiled as he shook the man's hand.  "And not just one, there's another doctor as well.  I know it's unusual for a town this size, but it has its advantages.  We're even working to bring a hospital to town."  A huge advance, if Leah could pull it off, and if anyone could do it, it would be that young woman.

“Two Doc’s in one little town.” Amos declared. “You folks are certainly blessed. And a hospital.My my. I’d believe I was in Omaha or Council Bluffs. This place’ll be boomin’ with that addition. ‘Course folks have been friendly, prices are fair, an she seems peaceable enough.”

He chuckled.  "It's friendly enough here, but not without its troubles."  It was a territorial mining community, that brought all sorts of characters, criminals among them.  "Wasn't long ago some men tried to rob the bank, as a matter of fact."

“You don’t say.” The bounty hunter in him came to life almost instantly. “Well I’d bet my friend Marshal Guyer got ‘em all. Know’d him since the war, I have. Odd to see him him behind a badge though. Mines an’ minerals, that was what he was doin’ last I saw of him. Got me an appointment with a Miss Ada Fetterman at his business this mornin’.”

@Bongo

“Two Doc’s in one little town.” Amos declared. “You folks are certainly blessed. And a hospital.My my. I’d believe I was in Omaha or Council Bluffs. This place’ll be boomin’ with that addition. ‘Course folks have been friendly, prices are fair, an she seems peaceable enough.”

"Well, it was just me until this winter, but Whitefish, a few miles up the road, had a bad time during a blizzard," Jonah explained, "that's when Doctor Boone settled in here.  But I agree, it's a good thing for the territory...and me, too!"  He chuckled.  "I can only keep so many chickens and preserves I get in payment!  Just the bandits that are causing trouble."

“You don’t say.” The bounty hunter in him came to life almost instantly. “Well I’d bet my friend Marshal Guyer got ‘em all. Know’d him since the war, I have. Odd to see him him behind a badge though. Mines an’ minerals, that was what he was doin’ last I saw of him. Got me an appointment with a Miss Ada Fetterman at his business this mornin’.”

"From what I've heard, Marshal Guyer rather fell into the job as opposed to seeking it."  As was the way with a lot of the lawmen in the West.  "He's doing a good job, though, has some fine deputies helping."  He nodded to Pronto, who was a few tables away.  "That's one of them...going to marry the lady who owns this place.  I just hope I don't have to resort to my own cooking!"

+++++++++++++

"Who's the gent talkin' to Doc Danforth?" Curious as a man of his background would be. "Don't believe I've seen him before."

"His name is Conroy," Emeline answered as she poured Barnabas coffee, "he and his daughter bought the Rafter A...and he's going to talk to the folks at the mining office."  She grinned as she leaned in close to his ear.  "Competition!  Should I poison him?"

@Flip

"Whitefish was it?" He'd heard some odd names out in the west, so it wasn't a surprise to him.

"A bad time of it you say, this Doc Boone, he was the Doc up there then?" A flurry of simple question, mostly repeating what he had heard. A common trait in the west it seemed.

"A man fallin' into a job he didn't seek, seen it many a time out here. And especially lawmen. There's those cut out for it, to be sure. Some come to it naturally, been a number what changed trails, from bad to good, some, well, some changed jobs but kept on the way they was headed in the first place. Still an all, seein' Speed Guyer as a town Marshal, not that's one for the books." Then he laughed as he lifted another fork load toward his mouth.

"Man saved my life back durin' the war. An Infantry Captain he was, so maybe bein' a lawman ain't so far a stretch as one would think. " Amos added. "So there here hospital you're plannin', tell me about it."

@Bongo

Pronto finished up his breakfast and thought another cup of coffee would help with tiredness as there was still a full shift to go. He wasn't complaining, Guyer had to do the same. So he flagged down Em holding up his cup.

When she arrived he asked, "Who's the gent talkin' to Doc Danforth?" Curious as a man of his background would be. "Don't believe I've seen him before."

(moved it)

"His name is Conroy," Emeline answered as she poured Barnabas coffee, "he and his daughter bought the Rafter A...and he's going to talk to the folks at the mining office."  She grinned as she leaned in close to his ear.  "Competition!  Should I poison him?"

"Oh sure that's a great idea. You poison him, I'll have to arrest you, and then we can have the weddin' in the jail!" He teased. That'd be the way ta start our life together. "He smiled. "Good to have a bit of time together, the ride yesterday was great. Be glad when that circuit judge gets here and we get them trials over with and Kalispell shifts back to normal again. Hard bein' in that office everyday and every other night. Easier just to shoot 'em an be done with it." May second was still nine days away.

@Bongo

"Doctor Boone was in Whitefish for a long time, as I understand," Jonah explained.  "His offices there were as close as the territory had to a hospital.  When the blizzard went through, what it didn't blow over ended up burning."  Jonah shook his head, he'd never seen the like.  "Folks say it was the mountains around Kalispell that saved us from the same fate."

Had Kalispell been hit as badly as Whitefish had been, there would have been  nowhere for survivors to go...it would have been catastrophic.

"I can keep patients at my clinic, but it isn't really set up for that, nor do I have the equipment for advanced testing and procedures..." he chuckled, "or the funds for staff, especially since I'm paid more in goods and labor.  So there's a drive to establish a hospital, as well as an orphanage, eventually."

He sipped his coffee.  "That should be happening pretty quickly, I'm hoping."

@Flip

"Oh sure that's a great idea. You poison him, I'll have to arrest you, and then we can have the weddin' in the jail!" He teased. That'd be the way ta start our life together. "  He smiled. "Good to have a bit of time together, the ride yesterday was great. Be glad when that circuit judge gets here and we get them trials over with and Kalispell shifts back to normal again. Hard bein' in that office everyday and every other night. Easier just to shoot 'em an be done with it." May second was still nine days away.

She knew that he was joking...mostly...about just shooting the prisoners, but she would be happy when that was done with, however that was.  "Well, if you did have to arrest me and lock me up," she pointed out, "then you could be there day and night and see me all the time." 

Grinning, she kissed his cheek.  "And, if you shoot those men, they can lock you up with me and we'd never have to be apart!"

@Flip

“Mother nature can be as deadly, if not more than any man. To have not just the blizzard but a fire as well. Now that was a warning from the good Lord that this whitefish was not to be tolerated. Sorta like Sodom & Gomorrah in the good book, if ya subscribe ta thet sortta thing.” Amso offered. “But havin’ this place here fer the survivors, now there tars a blessin’ to be sure.”

“Them plans fer yer hospital and orphanage, don’t you worry none about it. It’s the right thing, a good thing , a necessary thing yer doin’. Tell that to yer lady friend was she to get discouraged. You’ll get ‘er done, mark my words.” Now Amos wasn’t much of a religious man, but, there was the part of him that recognized a God that did right by the righteous.

@Bongo

Posted (edited)

Grinning, she kissed his cheek.  "And, if you shoot those men, they can lock you up with me and we'd never have to be apart!"

"We'd swing tagether, that'd be the outcome. Affraid Speed'd insist" He replied. Well, they ain't payin' me ta be lollygaggin' with the purtiest gal in town. Best get on down to the jail. get to the days, business."

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Speed Guyer stood before the window looking out at the street, a cup of coffee in his hand. It was another beautiful spring day, but one with a dark cloud, the prisoners in the holding cells. It would be  yet another nine days before the Circuit Judge made his way to Kalispell, and they could look at trial dates. Likely the same day for all of them as the judge  was on a schedule.

On his mind were his actions with Case Steelgrave. He wondered about his motives. Yes he had made a move against Quentin who was an acting Deputy, no matter what anyone said. But, then too, Case had gone for a gun, his own, granted. But as sure as he stood looking out the window, Case would have shot him. So maybe he didn't go to far. Maybe he didn't go far enough, but that could have been called murder.

TBC

The cavalcade of riders paused at the outer edge of what could be called Kalispells city limits. Fourteen in all, to get Case Steelgrave out of jail, one way or the other. If hat meant killing the town Marshal and his deputy, that was what it meant.

Layton Harris, and Arlen Granger sat at the head of the group, neither liking what would lie ahead. Not that either was a good man per se, not that they objected to killing when they had to, it was the idea of bucking the whole town, and bucking the whole town included the Lost Lake Ranch, and that meant Shade Thornton, Quentin Cantrell and the riders  they had.

No matter, it was do this or face the old man, which none of them was willing to do. Layton Harris looked around, then spurred his horse, and the riders rushed forward into the mouth of the main street.

TBC

“Mother nature can be as deadly, if not more than any man. To have not just the blizzard but a fire as well. Now that was a warning from the good Lord that this whitefish was not to be tolerated. Sorta like Sodom & Gomorrah in the good book, if ya subscribe ta thet sortta thing.” Amso offered. “But havin’ this place here fer the survivors, now there tars a blessin’ to be sure.”

"I'm not that familiar with Whitefish," Jonah commented, "but I don't think it was so overly wicked that the Good Lord would see fit to raze it."  He shrugged.  "And at least when Mother Nature lashes out, she does it without bias or thought.  When man lashes out...it's a conscious act."

“Them plans fer yer hospital and orphanage, don’t you worry none about it. It’s the right thing, a good thing , a necessary thing yer doin’. Tell that to yer lady friend was she to get discouraged. You’ll get ‘er done, mark my words.”

"I have no doubt, considering Miss Steelgraves tenacity."  Jonah chuckled, nodding to Emeline as she sat his food down, then refilled both men's mugs with hot coffee.  "Thank you."  He turned his attention back to Amos.  "Most of the logistics are in the works, but the city council just needs some convincing."  He shook his head.  "Politicians!"

@Flip

"We'd swing tagether, that'd be the outcome. Afraid Speed'd insist" He replied. Well, they ain't payin' me ta be lollygaggin' with the purtiest gal in town. Best get on down to the jail, get to the day's business."

"All right, then, Mr. Pike."  Smiling, Emeline kissed him on the cheek.  "Be careful, and you know where to find me."  She was still getting used to his profession, but at least she had her work to distract her.  As he left, she started gathering the dishes so she could get back to work.

"All right, then, Mr. Pike."  Smiling, Emeline kissed him on the cheek.  "Be careful, and you know where to find me."  She was still getting used to his profession, but at least she had her work to distract her.  As he left, she started gathering the dishes so she could get back to work.

The thunder of hooves on the hard packed street drew Pike’s attention as he whirled to look out the window as the cavalcade of riders passed by. “What the sam hell?” He asked as he started to move, recognizing a couple of the men as Evergreen riders. “Damn!” and he was moving.

"I have no doubt, considering Miss Steelgraves tenacity."  Jonah chuckled, nodding to Emeline as she sat his food down, then refilled both men's mugs with hot coffee.  "Thank you."  He turned his attention back to Amos.  "Most of the logistics are in the works, but the city council just needs some convincing."  He shook his head.  "Politicians!"

Amos’ head snapped up at the sound, his eyes darting to Speed’s deputy and his reaction. This was trouble! Trouble for his fried, no doubt. “‘scuse me Doc, looks ta be trouble, best I go see if I might lend a hand.” Amos said as he rose, dropping a half dollar on the rough hewn table top, worn smooth from use as he moved toward the door.

image.jpeg.8e3821e2336d47f2bb9f42cdb110d9a4.jpegimage.jpeg.3290e825ad2129dedcc0214c697c8a2e.jpeg@

@Bongo

Posted (edited)

At first, the sounds of so many horses roaring into town wasn't particularly alarming, after all, there were always groups coming in from the outlying ranches, although it was a bit unusual this time of day.  But when she saw Barnabas' reaction, and the newcomer jumped up and dashed out, she felt a chill spike of fear go through her.

Glancing around at the few remaining customers, she darted for the front door, snatching up the shotgun she kept there.  "Everyone just stay inside," she chided as she herself stepped onto the boardwalk out front, closing the door behind her as she stood guard, ready to do whatever she had to, and anxiously watching Barnabas.

Across the street she could see Addy coming out of the big Millegan Stage barn, then ducking back in and reappearing a moment later, brandishing her own shotgun.  Emeline caught her eye and gave her a slight nod.  Then she spotted the three men at the hotel, professional gunmen, if she wasn't mistaken. 

These men were up against more than they bargained for, and Emeline could only hope that they had the good sense to just ride out.

Inside the diner, Jonah was more than happy to stay where he was.  He was no gunslinger, and was only armed with a two-shot derringer, worthless in this sort of situation.  Of course, the noble thing to do would be to insist that the lady owner turn over the shotgun and her spot to him, but what if there really was trouble and a doctor was needed?

addy-chappell.jpg.c26f11a3d27e5a156fb033jonah2.jpg.afb96ea5d8d2cdabeec1ac6f21e4e

@Flip

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Pike was at the Lickskillet in minutes. He came through the door looking for Emeline, and spotted her quickly. As he strode toward he he said, "So you took up a shotgun to get out there and get yerself shot? After we jest went out to the spread yesterday? What was you thinkin' aside from you thought you'd be protectin' me from them jack wagons?" He simply shook his head. "Whot am I gonna do with you, woman?"

@Bongo

"I was protecting my business," Emeline defended, squaring up her shoulders.  Yes, she'd been watching him, praying that he stayed safe, but regardless of their relationship, she would have been out there on the boardwalk, ready to get involved if the need arose...you didn't survive long as a woman alone in these parts without some resolve and backbone, and she wasn't about to let rowdies tear up her town!

"You can take care of yourself, and I know that!"  She was a bit riled, maybe a little angry that Barnabas seemed to be chiding her.  Certainly, he knew she wasn't the sort to stand by and watch, and he'd have to accept that, as much as she had to accept that his job put him in constant danger, and every time he left, she'd never see him again.

His last words, though, a subtle way of saying he understood, had tempered her anger and she reached for his hand.  "I will only intervene if it's absolutely necessary," she assured him, "but I won't be idle."

@Flip