Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

Sunday Ride

"I promise I won't be too extravagant, and you'll have to keep me in check!"

“Oh, sure, I can see me doin’ that. Yup, keepin’ you in check with a house ta furnish. That’ll be the day.” He replied good naturedly. “A’course now, I warned ‘em already, but you know business folks, they’ll allow most anything fer a dollar.”

Barnabas ‘Pronto’ Pike, former Texas ranger, former Virginia City, Nevada Deputy Sheriff had parlayed three duces into a one third share of the Yellow Jacket Mine, which Cap Taylor had leveraged it into The Consolidated Virginia Mining Company that was paying dramatically.

He simply smiled at Em as she went on about scrimping and ‘just getting by,’ never giving a thought to how the construction of the house was being paid for, but that was alright. There was still stock to buy, locally if he could.

“I reckon we’ll get by. The honeymoon might be a little tight, but not to worry. You’ll have the weddin’ and the honeymoon, so best get Clara ready to take over fer a bit.”

@Bongo

"Clara..."  Goodness!  The girl was pregnant, was going to be married, likely before she and Barnabas were, but Emeline figured she'd still be able to handle the cafe for a few days, and she could use the extra money she'd earn.  "Of course, she'll do fine, I have no qualms about leaving the cafe to her."

And maybe, in a few days, the girl would actually be married, and at least that part of her condition would be known...and if she and Jacob needed a place to stay, they could certainly use the apartment above the cafe.

"You know I don't need an elaborate honeymoon, any time alone with you would be good enough...more than good enough!"  She'd honestly be happy just coming up here and helping to work on getting the house organized, even if it meant some camping under the stars!

@Flip

"Clara..."  Goodness!  The girl was pregnant, was going to be married, likely before she and Barnabas were, but Emeline figured she'd still be able to handle the cafe for a few days, and she could use the extra money she'd earn.  "Of course, she'll do fine, I have no qualms about leaving the cafe to her."

And maybe, in a few days, the girl would actually be married, and at least that part of her condition would be known...and if she and Jacob needed a place to stay, they could certainly use the apartment above the cafe.

"Clara? What about her? That girl runs this place jest fine when you ain’t here.” Pronto stated confidently, having watched the girl in action. “You’ll be needin’ time away right shortly, less I’m mistaken.”

"You know I don't need an elaborate honeymoon, any time alone with you would be good enough...more than good enough!"  She'd honestly be happy just coming up here and helping to work on getting the house organized, even if it meant some camping under the stars!

“OH sure, yeah, I know. You don’t need nuthin’ fancy. That’s jest fine. We’ll maybe take us a a few days, you know, get away fer a spell. See a little country, be able ta breathe without the café ‘er the lawin’ to worry about.”

@Bongo

"Oh, of course time away," Emeline agreed, "at least a week."  Sure, they knew each other, but this was going to be a new aspect to their relationship, and besides, they really hadn't spent more than a day together.  And really, going to a big city might distract from just them.

"You know, I wouldn't mind just camping somewhere," she stepped in to hug him, "just us, alone, with no distractions."  She smiled up at him.  "I don't think we'll get bored."

They could even spend some time here, at the house, although there would be the workmen around.

@Flip

"Oh, of course time away," Emeline agreed, "at least a week."  Sure, they knew each other, but this was going to be a new aspect to their relationship, and besides, they really hadn't spent more than a day together.  And really, going to a big city might distract from just them.

“That was the thought, few days, maybe a week. Don’t wannna leave Speed in a fix fer too long, but don’t wanna cut short our time tagether neither. I mean we’ll only be doin’ this oncet. Best do ‘er up right, well, to a point.” He agreed, adding, "There'll a plenty to do around here."

"You know, I wouldn't mind just camping somewhere," she stepped in to hug him, "just us, alone, with no distractions."  She smiled up at him.  "I don't think we'll get bored."

“Not the two of us we wouldn’t!” He exclaimed. “Heaven forbid we’d get bored of one another that quick. Nope, That aint’a gonna happen, not in this life an’ pro’ly not the next neither!” He gave her a kiss on the forehead.

They could even spend some time here, at the house, although there would be the workmen around.

Then he looked around the empty unfinished house they would call home. “So I’m too figger it meets yer approval?”

@Bongo

"It's perfect."  Hugging him gently around the waist, Emeline rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes.  "I can't wait for it to be filled with children, and laughter, and happiness."

Of course, she was practical enough to know that there would be difficult times, too, but she would worry about those when they happened.

"Show me around the rest of the property, I want to see the barn."  After kissing his cheek, she took his hand.  "And where the corral will be, and the bunkhouse."  It was almost hard to comprehend that they would eventually be living on a large ranch, with hands and all manner of creatures.  In a way, she would miss having the quiet of living alone, but then, all the life here would be amazing!

@Flip

He grinned, "Right now, the barn is just a framework layin' there a'waitin' bein' raised, but I'll show ya where all'a that'll be. "Once't the barn's raised the corral'll be put up, that'll be the easy part." He led her off to the south side of the property where the walls of the barn lay waiting,

"The wind blows down from the north most times, so that means, ain't no unpleasantness blowin' into the house. An' the bunk house'll go up over jest east of the barn an' corral." He stood pointing out the approximate locations of each, though each spot was marked.

"Yer hen house an' that sortta thing'll be right behind the house where ya can get at it easy enough, even in the winter, with yer shovel just inside the door." He grinned at her. "Cain't never be sure about the snow fall, 'er how the drifts'll stack up, but won't be many steps to fetch eggs."

"Got the well in under the house fer the pump in the kitchen and puttin' down another off to the front here, What with the falls an' sech water's no problem ta come by. So, whadaya think?"

@Bongo

"It's just how we pictured it months ago," Emeline observed, looking at Barnabas, "only now it's real, it's really happening!  It's all perfect, it's going to be perfect, all the trees and she smell of pine, being able to hear the falls..."

She never could have imagined that she'd live in such a place, and after Andrew had died, she had believed that this kind of happiness just wasn't meant for her.  Yet here she was, here they were, in a setting of Eden, with a bright future.

"Just perfect...except for one thing..."  She looked up at him in all seriousness, taking his hands in hers.  "Winters are hard, we know that from what happened to Whitefish...the poor chickens and rabbits will freeze...we need a place inside, a room for them, so they are comfortable during the cold weather."

After a moment, she laughed and hugged him.

@Flip

After a moment, she laughed and hugged him.

Accepting the hug he refrained from laughing. “You needed to be letin’ me know about thet afore the place was built. But there’ll be a hen house an’ size is negotiable, as will the rabbit hutch. Where they get located is up to you.” He explained.  “I jest figgered the hen house close by would be best come winter, why I said it’d be close by. But I’ll leave the locatin’ up to you.” Those things were easy to build, which meant easy to move was a body a mind to move them.

“Just prezactly how we designed it! Wouldn’t have it any other way. That there was the vision, this here’s the result of our vision, with a bit more to come, o‘course, but she’s real close to bein’ done, hat’s for shore!” A note of pride in his voice.

@Bongo

"Don't worry, I was teasing about the chickens."  Emeline laughed.  "I tried that when I was six...there was a blizzard, so I brought the chickens and rabbits into the house!  It didn't take long for Mama to explain to me that the Good Lord saw to his creatures, and Papa had added extra straw to the coop and hutches.  She made me take them back, and I almost crawled into the coop with the chickens to keep them warm, but it was too cold out there!"

She laughed again, then smiled.  "I do appreciate that you thought about putting the coops and hutches close to the house, though, so i won't have far to go.  Good for you, too, because if I have to go out at night, when I come back to bed I'm going to use you to warm up my cold feet and hands!"

And then she blushed hotly at the suggestion that they would be sleeping together!

@Flip

• Flip locked this topic