Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

Sunday Ride

"Don't worry, I was teasing about the chickens."  Emeline laughed.  "I tried that when I was six...there was a blizzard, so I brought the chickens and rabbits into the house!  It didn't take long for Mama to explain to me that the Good Lord saw to his creatures, and Papa had added extra straw to the coop and hutches.  She made me take them back, and I almost crawled into the coop with the chickens to keep them warm, but it was too cold out there!"

“Yer Pa sounds like a right smart man, an\’ one to avoid havin’ his home over run by chickens and rabbits. So we’ll insure that them critters are comfortable year round, ‘specially come winter. Can’t have them too hot 'er too cold. Heaven forbid!"

She laughed again, then smiled.  "I do appreciate that you thought about putting the coops and hutches close to the house, though, so i won't have far to go.  Good for you, too, because if I have to go out at night, when I come back to bed I'm going to use you to warm up my cold feet and hands!"

And then she blushed hotly at the suggestion that they would be sleeping together!

“Oh now, wait just a dern minute! Cold feet an’ hands? I don’t recall any need of your goin’ outside in the middle of any night, ‘specially not no winter night!” He protested. “Ain’t no call fer you ta be traipsin’ around out’n the snow an’ cold jest ta come in an’ torment me with cold hands an’ feet!”

@Bongo

"Oh, there are plenty of reasons to go out at night, especially during a blizzard...checking on the chickens and rabbits, of course, but there are all the other animals we'll have, horses, pigs, cows...you know I have a soft heart," Emeline smiled sweetly, "so I'll likely want to check on the fish in the pond, and the bears hibernating...and there are the plants and trees I'll need to check on..."

She laughed again, stepping in close to hug him so he couldn't smack her.  "Maybe I shouldn't say such things until we're married...you might change your mind!  Or...maybe I'm conniving, and I want you to change your mind!"

Quickly, she kissed him on the lips to show she was teasing, just in case!

@Flip

Quickly, she kissed him on the lips to show she was teasing, just in case!

“Take me alla them what you got, Em Blakesley!” He said with a wide grin. “Though you might be a tech soft in the head as well as in yer heart, make’s me no never mind, I love ya anyways!”

“An’ I ain’t changin’ my mind on marryin’ you, not by a long shot I ain’t. Them critters yer worrin; over ain’t even here yet, neither's the winter. And, was they, they’d have ‘em a palace just like yers. All safe an’ sound, warm and tight again them blizzards an’ sech-like. How you do go on.”

@Bongo

"Oh, well, I guess I'm stuck with you, then...um, you're stuck with me!"  Grinning, she kissed him again, then added, "I guess that's a good thing, since you have this big house, so you need someone to live in it, right?  And I'm glad the outbuildings are going to be palatial, because I've no doubt we'll have at least one daughter who will want to spend the night with 'her' creatures, making sure they are all right!"

Emeline had no doubt that their children were going to be a challenge, in a good way.  "We'd best be careful, though, so the children don't outnumber us and take over!"

@Flip

"I got no doubts than any daughter of ours'll be takin' after her Maw with her critters. Jest stands ta reason. 'course, she, 'er maybe, they'll be some fine cooks an' animal handlers, unless I miss my guess." He agreed.

"An' you bet I had men, and helped 'em build this place for you. Weren't fer jest anybody, Em! I was jest doing fine at the boardin' house 'til you come along." Then he grinned at her, like some possum. "We're gonna have us a time, Em. You kin count on that!"

There was a ways to go on the place, that was certain, yet he was confident all his planning was going to come to fruition in time for the wedding, and of course, the honeymoon.

@Bongo

"I can't wait!"  Grinning, she kisses Barnabas on the nose, then took his hand.  "So, are  you ready for lunch yet?  I think we should eat out here, in the gazebo."  Oh, she knew it didn't exist yet, but there was a place for it.  "I want our first meal in the house to be when there's a house."

She knew he would understand, it was going to be something special, and she was looking forward to all those 'normal' things, like having him carry her over the threshold without dropping her!

"Or we can go closer to the falls, there's that nice rock we can sit on and see the falls and the house."

@Flip

"I can't wait!"  Grinning, she kisses Barnabas on the nose, then took his hand.  "So, are  you ready for lunch yet?  I think we should eat out here, in the gazebo."  Oh, she knew it didn't exist yet, but there was a place for it.  "I want our first meal in the house to be when there's a house."

She knew he would understand, it was going to be something special, and she was looking forward to all those 'normal' things, like having him carry her over the threshold without dropping her!

“Lunch? Shore thing,” Gazebo, he’d have to remember that one to tell the crew. Things were going to go real fast now, as they finished the inside of the house. He got out there when he could, and helped as much as he could, but until they stood there, together, inside the house he hadn’t realized how close to completion it really was.

“I want you to have whatever it is that will make the place yours, an’ special to you. Now I know it’s our place, but I also know that women look at a place differn’t than a man does an’ thet’s jest fine by me.

"Or we can go closer to the falls, there's that nice rock we can sit on and see the falls and the house."

“Em, you jest lite and set wherever the mood strikes, an’ I’ll set right there with ya. We can see the falls jest fine from that patch’a dirt where the grazabo’s gonna be."

@Bongo

"Gazebo it is!?"  Grinning, Emeline grabbed the blanket and spread it out under some trees then settled on the ground with her legs tucked under her.  "This is perfect!  We can see the house, the falls, the barn...and all the kids, running all over."

Her smile faded a bit as she looked down, focusing now on emptying the basket of its contents, setting out meat and potato pies, a jar of pickles and small fruit pies.

"So, um, I think we ought to do this even after the house is finished.  I mean, picnics on occasion.  And the gazebo should be big enough that we can dance."

@Flip

Barnabas looked at her and couldn't help but smile. "Well sure, it can be built ta fit alla the kids an us too, 'cept we ain't rightly sure just yet how many that'd be. But big, yep, can be done, will be done." He promised. "Havin' picnic's, even after the place is done, is a grand idea! Ain't no reason we couldn't do thet."

"The kids'd love it as much as you an' me, oncet they was up an running about. 'course havin' 'em out here with nature all about would be good for 'em as well. It's their country they're bein' raised in, might as well be comfortable in it from the start." He added

"So....you figgered on a date yet?"

@Bongo

"The second week of May?  I was thinking maybe Friday evening, we can have snacks and desserts."  She glanced at him with a sly grin.  "Our first time at the house will be our wedding!  But at least we won't have far to go..."

Then she frowned as the logistics occurred to her.  "If we get married here, we'd likely have to put some folks up for the night...not that I mind, of course, except...I was hoping for privacy, of course."

Her cheeks tinted bright red, and she smiled shyly.  "Anyway, if we have the ceremony in town, we can just the two of us come home...if that's all right with you?"

@Flip

• Flip locked this topic