Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Mr. Smith knew a stacked deck against him when it was presented to him. He wasn't surprised really, the men were sticking up for the pretty gal instead of justice. It was the way of things. But he would try and get at least something out of his misery.   "Oh alright, I won't press charges but only if she pays whatever the doc here is gonna charge me for this here treatment," he answered.   "Of course, Miss Mundee here, well, she’ll have to wait on Anderson to decide her immediate fate.” Speed said. “With those others awaiting trial, have to take her to the County Sheriff’s lock up. Just about looking at a full house, well except for the basement cells.” He smiled at her.   "Fine! Not like I got any say in this do I?  Just a kindly young miss defendin' some poor innocent dog from mistreatment. Yeah, incar....incar..ser..?" Caroline was stumped.   "Throw me behind bars and lemme rot then," she shrugged.   "Hey Doc, you seem like a nice man? Can you let the saloon know where I am, please? Maybe my boss can post bail or somethin'? She is gonna need her singer/dancer tonight," she now addressed Danforth.   She pointed to herself, "That be me! You should come and hear me sometime. I admit my dancin' ain't the greatest but everyone sez I can sing real fine."   ooc: Forgot about this when I came home from my trip! We should be close to finishing it soon anyhow.   @Flip   @Bongo    
    • The good reverend had the kindness to offer to write down justwhat  it was the couple were going to have to recite from memory and scribbled the words down as he said them too. Clara was grateful for that much. Her dripping sarcasm seemingly had failed miserably on Jacob so she was stuck learning this. Fortunately it did not seem too long or so bad. That is if her nerves didn't fail her. Well, she would just have to find out. Besides, even if she bungled the vows, it could be easily sorted, nothing was going to stop them from getting married!   Hearing that all present would have to agree to the marriage gave Clara a bit of a new worry. Unanimous? So it would take only one to ....to scuttle the whole thing? A new thing to be nervous about. Afterall there would be Granny Miggins present.......oh and Arabella too. So far Arabella had been most supportive about the young couple but it was afterall Arabella. Mercurial described the child to a tee.   Clara took her copy, "Thank you, Reverend."   Then Jacob began to recite the whole thing. Now? Both Redmonds turned their gaze to watch and listen to the little performance. Strange.   When he had finished, Clara could only comment, "You are a bit early. This is not the ceremony yet."   Since Aurelian could not help with the ring, he then turned to the minister, "What is the cost of the marriage ceremony, use of the church and such? I will pay for it. It is tradition the father of the bride pay for the expenses."            
    • "Oh, really? Congratulations, then, Mrs. Soon-to-be Pike!" Lucinda smiled warmly, but her smile was tinged with sadness, as were her thoughts. This woman had found someone she liked enough to marry again, but Lucinda doubted that she ever would. Out here, anyway. Back east was a different story.   "I would be glad of the company if you could spare a few minutes," she answered. Now the question was...what would they talk about? All Lucinda wanted to know was news from the east, but it wasn't likely Emeline would know any more than she did. And as far as news went, living by yourself for six months didn't give you a lot of news-worthy things to talk about.   "Could I also have some water? I don't know about you, but stagecoaches make my throat terribly dry."
    • "White... fish?" José repeated, a little incredulous at such a name. Not that Kalispell was much better, but at least it was a name, rather than a color of aquatic creature. "No, I wasn't headed there. Why?"   "Uh, jest that it ain't there no more, an' you'd be wastin' your time huntin' her up.  Wasn't all that much anyway. I mean there was people what lived there, they had stores and all, but it jest never felt right. You know, somethin' off about the place." Carson explained as well as he could.   "Nest for outlaws mostly, a man had ta be careful what he said, an' such-like. But now Kalispell? That there's a growing concern. Most folks 'er friendly, Marshal seems to be a fair man. Yeah, a good place. So, what sortta work you looking for?" It was easy conversation for a lengthy ride across the range, pushing through the cattle when they crowded up.   "You might wanna douse that there lamp. Moon an' stars shed plenty of light out here." What he was thinking was, that a moving light crossing the Evergreen might bring on problems neither of them wanted, or needed.  @boshmi    
    • "Clara, your response is the same, merely with the first line as; 'I, Clara Redmond, take you, Jacob Lutz, to be my husband,' of course."   Jacob smiled warmly at Clara, his heart filling with joy at the thought of it, and catching Aurelian’s eye a lesser, more respectful one.   He wrote out the vow once more on a separate sheet, though with said amendment.   "Just before the vows, you will both declare intent, and I will ask the greater family if they give their blessing, at which point, Mr. Redmond, you and others of the family present must reply unanimously with 'we do.'" he told Clara's father. "Once that is sorted, you may exchange rings, or items, and say a piece of your own, if you so desire. I will bless the items, then your marriage, and finally, you will be man and wife, given that we have signed the certificate, either before or during the ceremony."   Compared to many other undertakings in life, the whole thing seemed ludicrously simple: there seemed to be only one factor that could make it go wrong; the usual one; people.   The priest took the vows he’d written and moved down from the lectern to pass them to Jacob and Clara. “They aren’t too long, so it shouldn’t be all that difficult to memorize them.”   Jacob glanced down his script, and then folded the paper, and closing his eyes intoned in a sort of sing song voice he used for memorising poems and passages of prose he liked: "So… 'Inthe nameofGod,…. I JL, take you, CR, tobemywife, tohaveandto holdfromthisdayf’rw’rd, forbetterfor worse, forricherfor poorer, in sickness and in health” for some reason he said these words more distinctly, like they were less familiar or didn’t quite fit into his mnemonic process “…toloveandtocherish, untilwearepartedbydeath. Thisismysolemnvow.In the name of God… yeah, I think I got it." He opened his eyes to see everybody staring at him.   “What?” he asked, blinking.   @Wayfarer @boshmi
Henry S. Guyer II

Numbers May Not Be Enough II The Marshal's Office

Mature Content: Yes Language

With: Marshal Guyer, Deputy Pike, Layton Harris, Arlen Granger, Amos Conroy, Bannister, Santee, McKenny
When: April 24, 1876
Time of Day: Mid Morning

content-divider.png

He saw them coming. Knew who they were and what they wanted. This was no lynch mob, this was an attempt to free Case Steelgrave and he was having none of it as the reached for the eight gauge coach gun from the rack. He broke it open and then snapped it shut, verifying it was loaded.

They pulled up with a cloud of dust lazily rolling over them in front of the Municipal Building
“Come on out Marshal, and bring Case with ya!” Harris demanded.

“There don’t need to be any trouble, Marshal, just turn him loose.” Granger added.
“We’ve fourteen men against you and maybe that deputy. We’ll cut you ta doll rags and take him if that’s what ya want!”

Three men stepped off the porch of the hotel. Three men that would be known to all of the riders. They were just a couple of steps behind the deputy and the other man they didn’t know.

Speed stepped out onto the porch, shotgun upright, but cocked and ready. “Mornin’ boys, now seems we got a problem here. Case has been bound over for trial, and there’s no bail. But if you insist on tryin’ to walk over me Layton, this eight gauge’ll take you and Granger, maybe a couple more.”

“That’s a bluff, Guyer an’ you know it!” Harris stated boldly.

The shotgun was suddenly level. “Now Harris damn it, I don’t want to shoot you, and you don’t wanna be dead. But you don’t turn them cayuses around an head for home I’ll clear some saddles.” There was something ugly about the barrels of the eight gauge, something that instilled fear of it’s pattern when fired at short range.

“I’ll get a good number of you so please, make yer move an’ meet yer Maker!” Pike said his guns already out.

“Be enough left I could take a couple.” Amos added.

There was a silence. It was clear there were folks on the boardwalks looking on and waiting for what would happen next.

“You boys know us, know what we can do, so I suggest you take the Marshal some serious.” Bannister said flatly.

“Ain’t noneaya's gonna get home taday, lest you ride out, now.”Santee added.

“Well, guess you didn’t count on that, well, me neither. So do everybody a favor and ride out. Do it right now!” He sounded no different than he had when he walked out of the office, but he was relieved.

“You son of a bitch, Guyer! You ain’t heard the last of this!” Harris stated.

“I have Harris, 'cuz if any of you comeback, we’ll shoot you on sight,” Guyer said. “No questions, no threats, just lead. So you can ride out or die, I’m tired of talking.”

image.jpeg.9fb5cf5cc6ab5623d7d04d3a193fdbcc.jpegimage.jpeg.1afa430516762723b287bbb4d0b6f135.jpegimage.jpeg.3290e825ad2129dedcc0214c697c8a2e.jpegimage.jpeg.ea463987fab41f28a1bd0bb62c97a363.jpegimage.jpeg.d9ebff3823b37d944c7f0be868da77d4.jpegimage.jpeg.1e3f26302fafdb62e23b5fe384bc21df.jpegimage.jpeg.e9f462f1e1bf8c0fa57d56345ead8cf7.jpeg

TBC (Moved from Lickskillet Cafe)

There was a long tense moment of silence.

Men had craned their necks to see the men behind them, and the two women that Marshal Guyer’s supporters could not see. None of the men on horseback had their hands near their guns, and every one of them knew than any sudden move like that would bring a fusillade of gunfire, because all of the men with Guyer had since drawn their guns.

Pike had learned long ago that in a situation like this, it was best to have his guns in his hands ready to do business. He chanced a fast glance at the unexpected reinforcements and felt a whole lot better about their chances.

The Marshal had laid down the law to the Evergreen riders, and, moved another step closer to posting a ban of carrying firearms I town limits, and both he and Guyer both knew the ban would only work for law abiding citizens. Meaning this scene could be repeated, or the attempted bank robbery. Outlaws would disregard the ban, even though they knew they could be shot on sight.

“Well, goddamnit!” Guyer asked

Harris glowed at him as he jerked his mount around, the others following suit as the men in the street stepped aside, their guns following the riders. Suddenly the Harris-Granger led pack broke into a gallop, and raced out of town, the men in the street watching them go, and slowing returning their guns to their holsters.

Disaster had been averted.

Tags @Anyone @Bongo

• Like 1

As the men galloped out of town, Emeline relaxed, and, as brave a front as she put on, her knees were weak, and she very well could have just sat down and cried, as soon as this was after the bank robbery.  And it made her sick to her stomach to see Barnabas 'at work', and have it driven home that he could be killed at any time.

But she couldn't dwell on that or it would quickly drive her mad.  Lowering the shotgun, she stepped back into her cafe and resumed her work.  "It's all right, folks, nothing going on."

At the stage barn, Addy watched until the men were well out of town before retreating back to what she'd been doing before, but she kept her gun close at hand.

@Flip

Speed remained on the porch of the Municipal Building until they were out of sight. He gave a sigh of relief and the adrenaline began to wear off. He watched as Pike and Amos made their way to the porch, but most importantly, he watched the three men he knew were Leah Steelgrave's body guards return to the hotel porch.

He had not counted on them to step out against people they had ridden with, worked with, and most likely fought beside, but they had, and he was grateful.

"Like ta had a hell of a fight!" Pike said as he stepped up on the porch. "An them three what threw in beside us, now that was a surprise. Them an' Amos here. Would'a been a donnybrook fer sure!"

"Amos." Speed greeted. "Glad you were here. Every gun made a difference this morning."

"Hell Speed, couldn't let them varmints have their way." Amos replied. "What are ya holdin' in there to have men think the town'd let 'em have their way with you, and them?"

"Case Steelgrave. The old man's likely plenty salty about it." Came the answer. "Case was going to run for County Sheriff, can't be real sure he did himself any favors. There there was this that happened. That's on the old man."

He looked to Pike. "Best you get up to the Licksillet and let  Emeline know you survived."

"Oh. I seen here, you mean that nice lady whot runs the cafe? Yep, she was over't the stage barn with a shotgun." Amos said.

"I'll be go ta hell!" Pike stated. With that he was out the door.

"His fiance." Speed said. "Now, about that job."

image.jpeg.c12ddefd261bd11883820072aac36675.jpegimage.jpeg.a1afdb36e5745b8d94b979ecbfa48d54.jpeg

Posted (edited)

It was late after noon, Speed was at his desk working on how he wanted to set up security for the upcoming trial, a good chance the trial would be held on Monday, the first of May, but that would depend on the stage being on time, and it might not be the Milligan Stage, so there was no depending on Addy to be on time.

There were a few things he needed to get taken care of first. He would be required to bring the prisoners upstairs so He would be confined to the courtroom. Pike would be out there, but who else? He could depend on Amos, he would send a note out to Shade Thornton and Quentin at Lost Lake, maybe Flandry, but who else? Would he even consider Addy? Tough as she is, maybe not the best of ideas.

Payment, the town will have to pay these people, he would insist on it. Can't have folks risking their lives for free on a town matter. The alternative would not be wise, nor pretty if it went badly. There was work to be done and little time to get it completed.

TBC in Numbers May Not Be Enough III

Edited by Flip
Include Shade. (see edit history)