• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "We'll have to get on over to the dinning room them. Afraid it's liable to be a bit more like Kalispell than Frisco." He said. "But it'll be good food, just not what we've been used too. Will be up on the hill, for sure.  I was told this is the best hotel because it was a ways out across the river from town, and it was solid built."   "The wealth on the hill is such that all most everything around it is growing at a fast pace. You'll really see that when we visit the Capitol, Carson City. Supposedly discovered by Kit Carson and General John Freemont on their way to Sacramento in. At least Freemont named the river after him back in '43 or '44. Nothin' was there then."   "All that made me hungry too, let's go eat an then take us a walk across the river, or along it, which ever you want." @Bongo
    • That did not take long. Cookie rang the triangle and shouted his best but in the end he sent the kid to roust all but the closest to him. Rance joined young Wheeler in the line, a bit out of the wind, but mostly in it for the moment. It seemed calmer up by the wagon.   "That had ta be bad back there. The wind drivin' the dust an' the smell, but should this wind let up you'll be on flank, left flank, then right, then back to the drag. It'll be me, Dallas, an' Dixie. eatin' dust tomorrow. But at least we got hot grub, won't always be that'a way out here though, every trip is different."   And they moved up steadily. @Bongo
    • "Nothing to discuss? I am surprised, Jonah. Why, if we have time for breakfast, there will be much to discuss regarding the hospital as well as the start of the orphanage. Hopefully that the railroad will be completed, or close to it by then." She smiled brightly. "Things will be different by then."   "My hope is that we get through all of this without my fathers interference causing delays, or real problems with the builders. You know we could get well into October before the snow flies, but I'm not counting on that. The winter will stop construction until the thaw." She stated, but the smile was still there, "But it will be well underway!" @Bongo
    • "Pleased ta meet ya, Rance."  Justus gave the man a nod, then lined up with the others for grub.  Maybe he could get some sleep despite the wind.  He surely was tired enough, and until there was something that concerned him, he didn't need to be concerned.   First, though, a full belly!  As the line progressed, he he nodded to the kid who was the cook's help.  "Times like this, I bet yer glad ya don't have ta be on th' downwind end of a herd'a cows!"   @Flip
    • "It's good to know you'll have the best working on the project, you've come this far, you don't need to risk the quality with less than the best working on it."  Even though he had no doubt that the crew would be excellent, it was reassuring to know that the man hand picked for the job would actually be on site overseeing it.  That way, too, he'd be there if Leah needed to discuss anything with him, and Jonah had a good feeling that was going to happen!   He grinned and took a sip of coffee.  "Just think, this time next year it will all be over!  We'll have a fine hospital with the best equipment...and nothing to discuss over breakfast!"   @Flip  

Mature Content: No

With: Harland Bryant, Matt Wentworth, Open
When: Early May
Time of Day: Midday

content-divider.png

Harland Bryant stepped into the lobby of the hotel and looked around. It was a fine looking place alright, one he had heard good things about. Harland was not a fussy man but on these long road trips in his job as Montana circuit judge he did appreciate a comfortable mattress and a nice room for his repose.  The board told him that the place served meals too and he certainly was hungry. But first things first, he needed to purchase a room.

He headed straight for the front desk and, setting down his suitcase, he gave the bell a good thump then waited for the clerk or whoever might be about. He was a patient man.

He was in Kalispell for some important trials. Some bank robbers who failed miserably in their attempt but took the life of an innocent local man and tried to kill others. Given they were caught red handed, it should be a mere formality and he'd have 'em swinging from the gallows. He had a reputation as a stern judge, he just believed in the Old Testament. Now the other case was more interesting. Apparently the defendant was a law officer. He would soon find out the details.

@JulieS

Matt had been in the hotel's ballroom inspecting the last of the repairs that had been done after the disaster that was the Kalispell Ladies Society's afternoon tea.  It had taken a few weeks to get all of the work done due to the influx of new residents, some who were refugees from Whitefish deciding to stay and getting homes built.  Not to mention the time it took to replace some of the furniture that had been broken.

Upon hearing the bell, Matt made his way to the front desk.  His daytime, clerk Walter Simpson was off having lunch and considering it was usually quiet during the lunch hour, he didn't mind looking after the place until his employee got back.  Besides, it gave him a chance to look over the hotel ledger to see who was staying and if there were any special requests that needed to be fulfilled.  Special requests were only for his top paying customers like Leah Steelgrave and other well-to-do people who were staying there.

When he got to the desk, he saw a formidable older man waiting there.  Smiling, he acknowledged the gentleman, "Good day sir.  How can I help you?"

@Wayfarer

Ahh, there was someone!

"Good day sir.  How can I help you?"

Harland smiled as he had a ready answer, "You most certainly can. I am in need of a room for  ....let us say a full week at least with the option for more."

"I am Harland Bryant, circuit judge  Montana jurisdiction, and will be presiding over a few trials these next however many days. As you can well imagine, I do not have an exact idea just how long it will all take."

"Oh and I would prefer a large bed as I am one of those who toss and turn a lot in my sleep," he added.

@JulieS

Matt smiled as he turned the ledger around for the man to sign.  He was familiar with who he was and knew some things about him.  Even though his job through the Secret Service was just to keep an eye on the area and for any illegal activities, he also made sure he knew who the authorities were just in case.  Bryant was a no-nonsense type of man and he looked it too.  Most people in town, including himself, knew why the judge was here.

"Welcome to Kalispell, your honour," Matt said as he watched the man sign his name, "I'm Matt Wentworth, the owner of this hotel.  Is this your first visit here?"

@Wayfarer

Harland set the pen back into it's proper stand then held out his hand for a formal handshake.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Wentworth. I must say you have a magnificent looking place here. If the rooms are as nice as this lobby, I will be most impressed. Oh and Harland, Harland Bryant. You only need address me as your honour if we're in court. Hopefully you will never need to be in front of me in that setting," Harland addressed the man.

"No, I have been to Kalispell previously....about a little over a year ago now I believe. Sad case, sad case indeed. Seemed a farmer had up and murdered his own wife and his brother. Claimed the two were having a sordid affair and did them both in with a shotgun. That is no excuse though so jury found him guilty of double homicide and I had him hung. Shame about his two children though, orphans then. I had them sent on to Helena to a proper orphanage though, best I could do for the unfortunates."

@JulieS

Matt nodded, "A lot has changed since you were last here.  Although one thing hasn't and that's the situation between the Steelgraves and the Thorntons.  Other than a fight or two there hasn't been much.  In fact, things have been relatively quiet here but things are changing."

He went over to the wall where the room keys hung and took off one of them.  Going back to the desk, he smiled, "Room 12 has a view of the street and a large, good bed."

After handing the keys over to Bryant, he sighed, "With Case Steelgrave in jail there's already been some trouble which the Marshal will probably tell you about.  Case is running for county Sheriff and he's got some support especially with those who came here from Whitefish, so there might be more for you to do in the future."

@Wayfarer

"Indeed? Like two bulls in a pasture, huh?" Harland shook his head in disgust, "And both of them convinced they are in the right no doubt."

Wentworth turned to take a room key then handed it over,"Room 12 has a view of the street and a large, good bed."

"Sounds capital to me," Harland seemed quite satisfied, it was the bed he was concerned with not the view, he would be sleeping anyhow.

Wentworth sighed, "With Case Steelgrave in jail there's already been some trouble which the Marshal will probably tell you about.  Case is running for county Sheriff and he's got some support especially with those who came here from Whitefish, so there might be more for you to do in the future."  

"Yes I am aware of the current situation with Case Steelgrave. It was in the telegram though not appraised yet on the details. Probably for the best as I would prefer to preside over the case unbiased," Harland nodded.

"Oh, one other thing, Mr. Wentworth, bill this room to your town council. It is common practice for the community where the circuit judge is hearing cases to pay for his lodging and meals," he added cheerfully.

Matt smiled, "As a member of the town council, I will make sure that it is duly noted."

Not knowing what else to say Matt decided to go into his hotel spiel, "We have a bathroom for our male guests at the back of the hotel, so if you want a hot bath, please let the desk clerk know and we will take care of it.  If there is something that you require, please let know as we can deal with most requests but there some...well there are some that we don't do."

Seeing that the boy he employed as part-time cleaner and bellhop had returned, he motioned for him to come over.  "Jack will now show you to your room and carry your suitcase for you if you wish."

He told Jack which room the judge was staying in.  "Mr. Bryant, welcome to the the Belle and I hope you enjoy your stay.  Is there anything else you would like to know?"

@Wayfarer

"Ah so you are one of the local council. Well, you seem well suited for it. Good to hear!" Harland nodded happily, the day was going well and he was glad he could rest after the bumpy trip.

Mr. Wentworth proceeded to inform him about the hotel's facilities, there could even be a bath if he wanted it but he decided instantly to forego that for now. He then directed a bell boy to take his luggage and guide him up to the proper room.  Harland was glad to let the lad do the carrying though it was really not heavy.

"Mr. Bryant, welcome to the the Belle and I hope you enjoy your stay.  Is there anything else you would like to know?"

"Thank you, I rightly expect I will," Harland waited until the boy took the lead then moved to follow.

"Nothing at the moment....oh wait, do you serve breakfast or if not, is there a place in town that does? I do like me a hearty breakfast, sets the foundation for the day you know," he paused then to inquire.

"We do supply breakfast here in our dining room.  There's also the Lickskillet Cafe with serves a slightly different fare to what we have we," Matt answered.  In a town with few dining facilities there was no real competition between them.  Since the meals at the hotel were generally more for those who could afford it and would rather eat (and in some cases be seen) at a higher-class establishment.  He didn't mind who ate at his hotel, as long as they were able to pay for it.  If they couldn't there was always dishes to wash and hotel rooms to clean.

Thankfully there were enough people and guests to keep the some of the meals he served at the hotel different from what the other places in town served.  Prices were only high due to the costs of bringing in special ingredients or foods.  Kalispell was a nice town, but it was off the beaten track so getting some things here required a lot of forward planning.

"By the way, if you're looking for some entertainment, Kalispell is very limited.  At the moment, there's a singer over at the Stardust Saloon and that's about it."

Not knowing what else to say, Matt smiled, "Once again I hope you enjoy your stay."

@Wayfarer

"Ah so I could dine right here for breakfast, splendid," Harland was happy to hear it. As for cost of the meal, well that was no issue for him because the town itself would be paying for it. But it was good to know there was at least one other dining possibility in the small town.

"By the way, if you're looking for some entertainment, Kalispell is very limited.  At the moment, there's a singer over at the Stardust Saloon and that's about it."

"Well, at least for tonight, I shall prefer to stay in and catch up on my sleep. Rest these weary bones from that long bumpy ride, you see," Harland pointed out.

Not knowing what else to say, Matt smiled, "Once again I hope you enjoy your stay."

"Thank you, I am not in town for my enjoyment but to do my duty to the territory of Montana and it's citizenry. Good day, Mr. Wentworth," Harland replied then headed up the stairs behind the bell boy.

ooc:  This a good place to bring this to a close?

• JulieS locked this topic