• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Emeline nodded silently as the rabbit was pointed out, slowly taking the rifle from Barnabas.  She'd done some hunting, but it had been a while, so she wasn't too sure of her skill, especially with and unfamiliar weapon.  At least they weren't going to starve if she missed.   Bringing the weapon up, she took careful aim, but then muttered, "But Barnabas, he's so cute!  Can't we keep him?"   Then she squeezed the trigger, causing the rabbit to jump.  But as he leapt up and spun, he tumbled back and went limp, falling to the dirt in a motionless heap.   "No pet bunny," Emeline sighed, handing the rifle back.  "Build me a fire and I'll cook you a rabbit!"    @Flip        
    • "I'm sorry Clara.  Maybe I should have made my intentions more clearer but I thought you were and are still too young.  To say that I am pleased about your marriage would be a lie."   Clara frowned but that sounded turned into a glare. And after she had just told him she wished for the very best for his new law career.   "The only thing I can offer you is that I hope that your husband will do his best when the future comes and that you won't suffer if he doesn't."   She was not going to stand here and be hurt like this. Oh, she wanted to say more but what good would it do and what difference would it make? None.   "We are done here. I will never make the same mistake again of trying to talk to you. We have nothing further to say. Good day to you, Deputy," she said thru gritted teeth then stepped to one side of him and kept on walking.  
    • Brendan flew over the crest of the rise on Fiona with the rest of the riders and tried to pick out the rustlers from where their gunshots were coming from. It was hard, with the intermittent flashes from the gunfire giving only a little clarity to their attacker's figures. He rode bent low on Fiona's neck and stretched his pistol out in front of him. Somewhere on the way to the paddocks he had lost track of José, but there was no time to worry about him now.   A spattering of gunfire came from ahead and in the resulting light, he caught sight of a fellow on a horse across the paddock. He pointed his pistol and squeezed the trigger once. In the dark, with the motion of his horse, and the uncertainty of the whole situation, there was no way of knowing if his shot would even hit. He shot again in hopes that he would at least hit something.   Shooting in the dark was a lot different than shooting at rattlesnakes or beer bottles in the daytime, and neither of those things he'd practiced on ever shot back. These men would shoot back.
    • Brendan chuckled. "Dream? Nah, my dream is to lay around all day with nothin' to do. But this ain't so bad." Now that he thought about it, he didn't really have a dream. Besides being rich someday. There wasn't anything wrong with drifting, but it certainly wasn't the dream.   He led the way into the stable and pointed to an empty stall. "That one can be hers. Oats are in the corner over there if she wants any." He pointed this time to a large sack labeled "oats" stacked on several others like it.   Then he went over to his horse's stall. "This here's Fiona. She's mine." He patted her chestnut nose fondly and entered the stall to start putting her tack on. He was in no hurry to get out on the range, and José's horse needed some time to be fed and watered, so he took his time and even brushed Fiona's coat a bit before putting the saddle on.   "You ever ridden for a place this big before?" he asked, glancing back at the Mexican. It was highly unlikely. Steelgrave had one of the biggest places in Montana and probably in the whole of the territories. Probably.
    • Jay was listening, Addy was pleased with that, and he seemed to understand what she was trying to say, and that made her happy, but then he hesitated and she tried to explain a bit more.   "Yer different, Jay, I didn't never think any man could..."   But then he took her hand and was kneeling in front of her, and her head started screaming, 'No, no, no...don't...'  But her heart was soaring, and her head eagerly followed...   "Addy, do you want to become my wife?"   "I do that."  Grinning, she nodded and squeezed his hands, then pulling him up into a hug.  As much as she had resisted, she'd been wanting this for some time, and she knew he had too, so as quiet and simple as this was, it was all she'd ever hoped for.   And since the words had already been said, it was time to kiss, so she did!   @Jack        
José Reyes

Trespassing, and Other Such Deplorable Crimes

"Connolly," Brendan supplied the answer to the man's unspoken question. Martínez was a Mexican name, there was no doubt about it, and the man's accent would have given him away even if his physical appearance didn't scream Mexican.

He shoved some eggs onto his fork and into his mouth before continuing the conversation. "You new here?" Obviously he was, but asking such a simple question left room for the person answering to elaborate a bit. Not that Brendan knew any of that. He was just curious and that seemed like the best place to start.

And there was another thing that he wanted to know. "You a gun hand or cow hand?" There wasn't much difference at Evergreen, but it was important enough to him that he asked about it. It wasn't that gun hands didn't make good cow hands, but lots of times they didn't. They didn't understand animals because animals didn't really obey guns, and that made them poor hands.

• Liked your post, Pard! 1

"Connolly."

"Good to meet you, Mister Connolly." José repeated, returning his attention to the food on his plate.

"You new here?"

In spite of himself, José grinned at the question. "Joined on not half an hour ago, so fairly new,."
There was no malice in his voice, for Mister Connolly did not seem as though he intended to start anything. Rather a sense of curiosity came with his questions, maybe at his sudden appearance, or maybe at his heritage.

"You a gun hand or cow hand?"

José paused in idle chewing, a little confused by the question. "I can shoot, and I can also herd. Is there a... difference between the shooters and the herders?" he asked, glancing about the table. Everyone within his eyesight either had a gun at their hip, or looked as though they might draw one from some hidden crevasse as soon as they were prompted.

@Bailey

Brendan grinned at the Mexican's question. "Here? Nah, we all do the same work. Only some of us are better at...how'd you say it...the herding...than others." There was a twinkle in his eye, but also a note of pride in his voice because he was good with the cattle. Better, he would like to think, than most of the "gun hands" which made up the majority of the Evergreen riders.

He shoveled some more food into his mouth and looked over the new hand appraisingly. "How long you been workin' cattle?" he asked as he scraped his fork over the surface of the tin plate to get as much food as he could off of it. 

"Here? Nah, we all do the same work. Only some of us are better at... how'd you say it... the herding... than others."

Realization dawned on José. "Ah. I see." he voiced. "Well, you know. Like I say; I can do both."

He might have been in an oddly unique position, having both rustled cattle and shot men, and though he couldn't say for certain yet, Mr. Connolly's words seemed to imply that both skills may yet come in handy upon the Evergreen ranch.

José finished his meal at around the same time as the others, eating all he had taken and leaving nothing to scraps. Not just out of hunger, but courtesy as well.

"How long you been workin' cattle?" continued Connolly, a question that caused José a twinge of guilt.

"About one year." he lied. "I did some other things, in the meantime. I know a bit."

@Bailey

Brendan nodded complacently at the new hand's answer, seeing no reason to question it. "Cattle's all I know. Cattle and horses." He sopped up the rest of his gravy with the last bit of his bread and licked his fingers, then pushed his plate away with a faint scraping noise and stood, groaning and stretching his arms over his head.

"Well. It ain't gettin' any cooler out there. You want to ride out with me, get the lay of the land?" It wasn't just an offer made out of friendship or nicety, but one that would make his job easier. If Martinez rode out with him today and learned the ropes, that was one more hand to spread the work around. In addition, the new hand seemed to be closer to his age than some of the other hands and he thought they might get along.

He paused and rested one foot on the long bench. "That is, if Carson don't want you to be a night owl with him?" He directed this question at Carson himself, looking to the older man for direction.

@Flip@boshmi

Carson was just finishing when the question came to him. "Good idea Connolly. Give the man a good look at the place and a chance to really look over the herd." Came his response. It was true that Jose could learn alot about the place from such a tour. "G'wan, see you men later.

image.jpeg.1ea06f6d44f411122bac58f0c78bb9fc.jpeg

@Bailey@boshmi

"Well. It ain't gettin' any cooler out there. You want to ride out with me, get the lay of the land?"

José hesitated. He'd expected cool indifference, perhaps even slight hostility at a newcomer, and here Connolly was offering him a tour of the grounds. It was a good reflection on his character, and perhaps, by extension; the character of the ranch as a whole, that practicality would come before pride.

"That is, if Carson don't want you to be a night owl with him?"

"Good idea Connolly. Give the man a good look at the place and a chance to really look over the herd."

"Sounds good." José confirmed, the matter more decided for him than by him. Not that he'd want to miss out on a chance to get settled in.

He rose and moved to the kitchenside bucket, where he'd seen men depositing their dirty plates earlier, and left his in kind, murky water eddying as he did.

"Alright. Let's do it." he told Connolly, and with a nod to Carson, José headed for the door.

"G'wan, see you men later."

@Bailey

OOC: Shall we end here, or play out José's inauguration on the ranch? I promise Brendan won't play any tricks on him!

OOC: I wouldn't mind a few ranch shenanigans! Up to you, though.

Brendan slipped his plate into the pan of water and grabbed one more piece of bread, then followed José outside, gnawing on the bread as he walked.

He noticed the new horse outside and squinted at it. It had been there when he first passed, but he hadn't been awake enough to pay attention. Now he looked the animal over as he chewed. It was a mare, with sturdy legs and a broad chest. She looked like she had stamina, which was good in a cowhorse.

"That your mount?" He gestured at the mare and looked at José. It was a needless question because he knew the horses on Evergreen and she wasn't one of them. "She's a nice one. Bring'er along to the stable an' she can have some water'n oats if she wants 'em."

He set off for the stable where his own horse waited. It would only take him a few minutes to get all his tack on his horse, but they were in no particular hurry today and it would give José's horse a while to rest if she needed it.

"That your mount? She's a nice one. Bring'er along to the stable an' she can have some water'n oats if she wants 'em."

José could not help but feel some pride at Brendan's appraisal of his mount. He and Loretta had crossed the treacherous Rockies and wintered in those peaks, and there was a sense of kinship he felt with the mare, young and prone to mischief as she was.

José nodded and moved to unhitch Loretta, before leading her along by the bridle in Brendan's wake. The mare followed obediently, her plodding gait rising to a low, rhythmic thump against the dirt.

"So cattle and horses are your thing eh?" José asked Brendan. "Seems to me like you're living in your dream out here."

Dream was an English word José was proud of, having picked it up off a young man he'd met by the roadside in Nuevo México. Said he'd a dream, to 'make a fortune off'a shine.' José had told him to be wary of Las Gorras Blancas, and ridden on.

They entered the stable, and the musty smell of horse hide met José's nose in force. It wasn't unpleasant, merely overwhelming, and as the seconds passed he quickly adjusted to the olfactory surprise.

@Bailey

Brendan chuckled. "Dream? Nah, my dream is to lay around all day with nothin' to do. But this ain't so bad." Now that he thought about it, he didn't really have a dream. Besides being rich someday. There wasn't anything wrong with drifting, but it certainly wasn't the dream.

He led the way into the stable and pointed to an empty stall. "That one can be hers. Oats are in the corner over there if she wants any." He pointed this time to a large sack labeled "oats" stacked on several others like it.

Then he went over to his horse's stall. "This here's Fiona. She's mine." He patted her chestnut nose fondly and entered the stall to start putting her tack on. He was in no hurry to get out on the range, and José's horse needed some time to be fed and watered, so he took his time and even brushed Fiona's coat a bit before putting the saddle on.

"You ever ridden for a place this big before?" he asked, glancing back at the Mexican. It was highly unlikely. Steelgrave had one of the biggest places in Montana and probably in the whole of the territories. Probably.