Total Topics
    Total Posts

On the Street Where You Live

Mature Content: No?

With: Jay Ryker
When: May/Late/ 1875
Time of Day: Late Morning

content-divider.png

Taking advantage of a 'day off', Addy was working on one of the myriad of projects that needed doing on her new house.  And there was a lot!  Roofing, holes in walls, holes in the front porch, rickety railings on the stairs, painting...and she had promised Weedy that he could do the painting, something he had begged her to let him do, and she suspected he was going to ask Wyatt to help, and that he thought it sounded like 'fun'.

So, there was no painting today, and the most important project, to her thinking, was to make sure that the front porch and steps were safe, and that no one was going to fall through. 

Since just after dawn, she'd been working with hammer and saw, reinforcing the frame, then replacing boards before moving on to the railings.  She'd been at it for a few hours when she finally stopped for a short break, sitting on the steps that she'd just rebuilt.  The water she was sipping was welcome...it wasn't particularly hot today, but she was still coated in dirt that was streaked by sweat, her hair was tangled and matter with cobwebs in its braid, and she was looking forward to a bath later in the day, once the work was done.

But for now, she was catching her breath, looking out past her yard, her little white picket fence, and at the street where her house was!

@Jack

Guest Jack

It was time to pay the most important person in town a visit. She'd been toiling away at her new home for a while now and whenever he could Jay would come over and help her after he was finished with his tasks.

Today he brought her a jug of nice cool water with slices of apple and some herbs in it.

He pushed the fence open with his boot and spotted her on the stairs of her new old house.

"Hey there."He greeted and held the jug out to her.

"Fancy a drink?"

She looked flushed but she already had a glas of water so he set his jug aside. "Oh, you already have something. Mine's cold, though."

He then moved to sit next to her, briefly looked out at the street to see if anyone was nearby, and then kissed her on the cheek.

"You've done a good job with the porch. I can help you finish it tonight."

Addy's grin widened as she heard Jay's voice and looked up, watching him come in the gate, dreaming of the day she could just grab him in public and plant kisses all over his face, then drag him into the house and have her way with him, without fear of causing a scandal!

"Cold water sounds right good."  Upending her cup, she tossed out the tepid contents, then held it to him, frowning a bit as she saw that there was something in the pitcher.  "What's that?  Ya tryin' ta poison me?"

Laughing, she kissed him on the cheek, then nodded.  "I'd be right grateful fer some help, there's some things that take two hands."

Grinning, she leaned close and whispered in his ear, "Some things involve hands all over th' place, grippin' an' feelin'."  But, leaning back, she added, "But Weedy's here..."

@Jack

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack

Jay wished he could kiss her. Especially when she started talking about hands in indecent places. Neddless to say that caused a reaction. Jay was so in love with her but he respected her wish to hide their feelings for a while.

"What do you need help with....that requires four hands?"

He whispered back. "I've got more than just some hands to offer."

Jay took her cup and filled some water in it, then had a drink himself.

He stood up and looked around. The sun was beating down on them, causing his skin to turn red already.

"I'll cut off pieces of wood for the reiling."

He set to work, sawing and filing the ends to get a dozen nice even pieces of the same length.

Then he unbuttoned his shirt and took it off since he was still wearing an undershirt.

Addy sighed as she took the water from Jay and sipped it slowly, wishing that things could be different, that they could marry and actually live together, free to, well, live together and not have to go their separate ways at the end of the day. 

Finally, she stood and went over to where he was sawing the pieces of wood for the railings.  "Once this railin's done, then just one day I gotta paint th' outside, but that can wait."  She grinned, grabbing a bucket of nails and a hammer.  "Never did think I'd have a proper house, but then, never did think I'd have th' beginnin's of a family."

All they needed now was the dad...

@Jack

Guest Jack

For a moment he paused but didn't look at her. Addy had been saying these things about 'family', marriage and all that. He could clearly tell that she was hoping he'd propose but Jay still wasn't sure whether he should.

He loved her and she loved him and clearly she was the best thing to ever happen to him. But he was still a criminal. Only one thing had changed- the sherif knew.

"I have to tell you something."

He waited for her to stop, then made sure noone was listening.

"The sheriff knows..about my past."

"I have to tell you something."

So, here it came, his excuses, his reasons, but bottom line, he was leaving.  'Things is all good here, I love you, I like Weddy an' th' town an' all, but it's best fer everyone that I just head on ta other things.'

Well, Addy could just as well do without him, she'd shrug it off and carry on, tell Weedy something that wouldn't sting the lad and make him feel like yet another adult had abandoned him.  Served her right, though, for letting down her guard and letting someone close to her heart...

"The sheriff knows..about my past."

That was unexpected!  Addy glanced at him with a frown, wondering just exactly what that meant?  After all, if Speed had seen him, surely he'd be in the hoosegow now, right?  And it confirmed her suspicion that he was moving on...running.

"He knows?"  She looked over at him and sighed.  "So, when ya leavin'...can't stay on my account, I'd rather ya just light on out than end up in prison...or at th' end of a rope."  She shrugged.  "He seen ya since ya found out he found out?  We could always help him have a 'accident', put him out in one'a th' pastures where noone'd ever find him." 

She wasn't exactly suggesting murder, but it would be a good way to eliminate the threat!

@Jack

Guest Jack

Jay's jaw literally dropped. The lengths she'd go to to keep him around. Suggesting murdering the sheriff?

You can't be serious? Are you suggesting to shoot the sheriff?

If it wasn't such a crazy thought he would have laughed.

I can't believe you just said that. I've never killed anyone in cold blood and I won't start but gladly we don't have to.

It actually took him a moment to get over what she'd suggested.

He said he knows but that I've profen that I'm bettering myself and have redeemed myself so I'm safe as long as he's the sheriff.

I can't believe you just said that. I've never killed anyone in cold blood and I won't start but gladly we don't have to.

"No, 'course, I didn't mean that," Addy sighed, shaking her head.  She was just trying to imagine that there was a way out of this mess, with a happy ending.  "I like him too much ta do that," she added with a chuckle, not that she was feeling merry at the moment.

He said he knows but that I've proven that I'm bettering myself and have redeemed myself so I'm safe as long as he's the sheriff.[/b]

"An' what's that supposed ta mean?"  Her freckled nose wrinkled up in a frown.  "So, ya don't gotta worry 'bout bein' arrested or nothin'?"  But what did that mean if he left the town?  Of course, no one was likely to know who he was, so really, the only danger to Jay now was Speed, and Speed wasn't.

"So...that mean yer stayin'?"  As much as she wanted to grab onto him and hold him for all she was worth, Addy was trying to keep her distance and keep herself protected.

@Jack

Guest Jack

"Good, cause I wouldn't want you to become a criminal when I'm trying to do better." He confirmed and gave her a stern look.

When she asked about the future, he shrugged. "I think so. As long as noone is stirring up anything and the sheriff has a say here, I'm not getting arrested...I mean unless I commit a crime here but I'm not going to do that. So yeah. It means I'm staying. There is no other place I'd be safer."

Of course that also meant that he could possibly marry her. There was always some danger of another sheriff coming about but for now things seemed good.

• JulieS locked this topic